PDA

View Full Version : About An Amazing Horse

DevilHorse
11-03-2019, 08:21 AM
I enjoyed the You Tube offering about Jim Key on the Home Page this morning.

However, I did notice an error in the pictures that were offered.
At the 3:52 mark, the narrator referred to being in Mississippi in 1885, and the sire of Jim Key as "Tennessee Volunteer" the 'Number One race horse in America. The picture shown at 4:47 was not of "Tennessee Volunteer", but of "Rysdyk's Hambletonian".
This is a famous picture of William Rysdyk and the horse known as Hambletonian 10, who is the foundation sire of the Standardbred bred or the 'trotters' for those of you familiar with those horses.
Hambletonian was a pre-civil war horse, and many of his sons/daughters were used during the civil war, including great siring sons whose lines are represented in today's horses. There is a big race at the Meadowlands in NJ, on the first Saturday in August each year named after this great progenator.
However, the point is that the picture of "Tennessee Volunteer" is a misrepresentation, but perhaps, not such a bad one, since it seems that Hambletonian 10 is actually Tennessee Volunteer's great grandfather, as you can see in this pedigree:
https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/jim+key

I would also point out that I could find no proof that Tennessee Volunteer was much of a race horse, or what kind of a race horse. He was not a standard trotter that I can tell.

Larry
DevilHorse

left_hook_lacey
11-03-2019, 09:47 AM

At the 3:52 mark, the narrator referred to being in Mississippi in 1885, and the sire of Jim Key as "Tennessee Volunteer" the 'Number One race horse in America. The picture shown at 4:47 was not of "Tennessee Volunteer", but of "Rysdyk's Hambletonian".
This is a famous picture of William Rysdyk and the horse known as Hambletonian 10, who is the foundation sire of the Standardbred bred or the 'trotters' for those of you familiar with those horses.
Hambletonian was a pre-civil war horse, and many of his sons/daughters were used during the civil war, including great siring sons whose lines are represented in today's horses. There is a big race at the Meadowlands in NJ, on the first Saturday in August each year named after this great progenator.
However, the point is that the picture of "Tennessee Volunteer" is a misrepresentation, but perhaps, not such a bad one, since it seems that Hambletonian 10 is actually Tennessee Volunteer's great grandfather, as you can see in this pedigree:

I would also point out that I could find no proof that Tennessee Volunteer was much of a race horse, or what kind of a race horse. He was not a standard trotter that I can tell.

Larry
DevilHorse
Horse nerd alert

jimsumner
11-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Larry
DevilHorse

He was no Sir Archie. Now he was a stud.

DevilHorse
11-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Horse nerd alert

You BET-cha!

Larry
DevilHORSE

DevilHorse
11-03-2019, 05:13 PM
He was no Sir Archie. Now he was a stud.

I presume you meant Sir Archy (1805), the greatest of North Carolina Thoroughbred sires. Who appears in essentially all North American Thoroughbred pedigrees. Sir Archy was the dire of the Great Diomed. And the Great Grand-sire (tail male) of the super sire Lexington.

The greatest standardbred horse (and sire) was a son of world champion Billy Direct named Tar Heel. He was bred by William Reynolds, brother to R. J. Reynolds (both of the Reynolds Tobacco Company) at Tanglewood Farms near Winston-Salem. The site is where the Tanglewood Festival of Lights now occurs. Tar Heel can be found in the pedigrees of all modern Pacers (not Trotters).

Also, there was a small trotting meet at the site of what is now the Fair Grounds when Tennessee Volunteer was racing.

Larry
DevilHorse

Devilwin
11-03-2019, 09:25 PM
I presume you meant Sir Archy (1805), the greatest of North Carolina Thoroughbred sires. Who appears in essentially all North American Thoroughbred pedigrees. Sir Archy was the dire of the Great Diomed. And the Great Grand-sire (tail male) of the super sire Lexington.

The greatest standardbred horse (and sire) was a son of world champion Billy Direct named Tar Heel. He was bred by William Reynolds, brother to R. J. Reynolds (both of the Reynolds Tobacco Company) at Tanglewood Farms near Winston-Salem. The site is where the Tanglewood Festival of Lights now occurs. Tar Heel can be found in the pedigrees of all modern Pacers (not Trotters).

Also, there was a small trotting meet at the site of what is now the Fair Grounds when Tennessee Volunteer was racing.

Larry
DevilHorse

Spelled "Archie" here.https://www.ncpedia.org/horse-racing

DevilHorse
11-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Spelled "Archie" here.https://www.ncpedia.org/horse-racing

I think we are in violent agreement, but are haggling over the spelling.
This is actually the same horse, but a disagreement on the spelling of "Archie" vs. "Archy".

Reading up on the progeny of Sir Archie, and noting the same Year of Birth as Sir Archy, they both can't claim to be in Lexington's pedigree.

Virtually every stud book uses the "Archy" spelling.

In the attached pedigree of the great Lexington, you'll note Sir Archy/Archie as the great grandsire in the top line:
https://www.pedigreequery.com/lexington

As articles say that Sir Archie claims Lexington as a descendent, obviously there are just so many places an ancestor born in 1805 can claim a slot.

Another 200 year old breeding mystery solved.:cool:

Larry
DevilHorse

jimsumner
11-04-2019, 10:48 AM
If they had only named him Sir Archibald.