PDA

View Full Version : When will Cut’s job be on the hot seat?

BlueDevil16
10-26-2019, 07:44 PM
After some good seasons a few years back, it’s clear the team and recruiting has stagnated. Is Cut on the hot seat? Personally think White is fine with the occasional 6 win bowl season, but would be great to see some ambition from him.

dukelifer
10-26-2019, 07:49 PM
After some good seasons a few years back, it’s clear the team and recruiting has stagnated. Is Cut on the hot seat? Personally think White is fine with the occasional 6 win bowl season, but would be great to see some ambition from him.

???? Sorry ???? Cut is the best coach Duke has had since Spurrier and the best coach they will get here. End of story.

jipops
10-26-2019, 08:02 PM
I can’t believe this was actually started. Is this a serious thought. Coaching warts and all, it will never get better than this for Duke Football. Suck it up and stay on the Cut train.

Bob Green
10-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Never!

jwillfan
10-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Cut his here until he doesn't want to be, period. Now, will he change staff? Or be helped to nudge, say, the OC onto another school? Perhaps. Given what he's done for Duke including turning our fans into those that wonder about his longevity, he's earned all he wants and more.

YmoBeThere
10-26-2019, 08:10 PM
Apparently this thread was started by someone who isn't able to comprehend what went on with Duke football from '95 -'07.

Devilwin
10-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Keep Cut and fire Roper..Like last week..

scottdude8
10-26-2019, 08:31 PM

This thread should be closed. No reasonable person thinks Cut is anywhere near the hot seat.

TheOldBattleship
10-26-2019, 08:35 PM

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Oh, hush.

DangerDevil
10-26-2019, 08:40 PM
There were more fans in attendance at today’s Rutgers game than people that think Cut is on the hot seat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1188130486713016321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1188130486713016321&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.saturdaydownsouth.com%2F sec-football%2Frutgers-embarrassing-crowd-for-liberty-game-has-to-be-the-worst-of-the-year%2F

TheOldBattleship
10-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Just as a reminder, here's where the program was when Cut took over:

YmoBeThere
10-26-2019, 08:42 PM
There were more fans in attendance at today’s Rutgers game than people that think Cut is on the hot seat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1188130486713016321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1188130486713016321&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.saturdaydownsouth.com%2F sec-football%2Frutgers-embarrassing-crowd-for-liberty-game-has-to-be-the-worst-of-the-year%2F

Schiano never should have left New Brunswick.

DangerDevil
10-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Just as a reminder, here's where the program was when Cut took over:

1995-2002 was just as ugly!

chrishoke
10-26-2019, 08:50 PM
While we are at it, let's clean house an fire K - he just let a Div II team stay with us on our home court, losing by just . SHAMEFUL!

DU82
10-26-2019, 08:51 PM

Well, my niece was one of them. (At the RU game, that is. Of course, they paid her to be there. )

OldPhiKap
10-26-2019, 08:54 PM
Thread of the year. Thanks, I needed the laugh.

mattyoung18
10-26-2019, 08:59 PM

Are you a tarheal

buddy
10-26-2019, 09:06 PM
This is a legitimate question. Cut took the worst program in Division 1 and made it relevant. He had a great three year run, when we should have won the Peach Bowl, and did play in some legitimate bowls. (Sorry, I consider the Pinstripe Bowl as a participation trophy--but then when I was at Duke there were only seven or eight bowls total.) But in the last three and a half seasons he is at exactly .500. I hope we at least stay there, but I have trouble finding two more wins, and certainly no more than that. Our offense is abominable, and Cut is supposed to be a offensive guru. Yes, compared to before he came, we have improved, but recently I get the feeling of regression. This board would never tolerate a basketball program that missed the NCAA tournament two years our of four. Why is it alright for football program to be mediocre? I love Cut, and think he was the best thing to ever happen to Duke football. But he is a 65 year old man with a heart condition. He also is a gentleman of high integrity, who is maybe too loyal in a cutthroat business. I don't think he should be in trouble, but if he continues with the same coaching staff, then he would be telling me that he is content to be mediocre. And if that is the case, then he probably needs to move on.

left_hook_lacey
10-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Um, when did you think we were good enough to have a coach on the "hot seat"? Lol. Especially someone of Cut's status that has resurrected our program?

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Cut will be here until he wants to retire, as he should be. So we screwed up today. Get over it! At least we don’t screw up 11 or 12 times a year like we used to. I also disagree that recruiting has slipped. I think a lot of our younger players are potentially stars. I’m as disappointed as anyone. Let’s move forward and get some wins. Nobody on our schedule is unbeatable!

bundabergdevil
10-26-2019, 09:21 PM
The answer to this question is no. Coach Cut took a chance on us, not the other way around. He came into the worst performing program in Division 1 football history and essentially pulled a Little Giants. He got the team in-shape, built a respectable recruiting operation, brought in actual football coaching knowledge, has helped get Duke players mentioned on Sundays, and proved that he can win season-over-season at a program where people thought winning was impossible. He has come nowhere close to burning the goodwill he has built with me and many alums/fans and I can imagine few scenarios that could possibly change that fact.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-26-2019, 09:28 PM
Embarrassing that this thread even exists. That is all.

Bob Green
10-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Embarrassing that this thread even exists. That is all.

Yep you’re correct. My initial reaction was to close it down but sometimes one must allow the idiocy to play out.

PackMan97
10-26-2019, 09:40 PM
This thread should be closed. No reasonable person thinks Cut is anywhere near the hot seat.

He did lose to the Cheaters...that can get you fired for cause.

75Crazie
10-26-2019, 10:03 PM
It's hard to surpass the idiocy of this thread. It is something I'd expect in a lot of places, but not DBR.

mattyoung18
10-26-2019, 10:15 PM
Duke now has the best coach to coach at once was a football power at Tennessee in the 90s.Tennessees football downfall can be traced back when Cut left UT in 1998.Im a huge Peyton Manning fan and UT would have not signed Peyton without Cut hes Said so many times.Believe me Duke is in great hands with Cut.He would be welcomed back to UT anytime.

jimsumner
10-26-2019, 10:17 PM
It's hard to envision a plausible scenario in which Duke is significantly better in football without lowering academic standards, increasing the recruiting budget by lot, increasing the assistant coaching budget by a lot, maybe building a palatial Clemson-level playground for all those five-stars to frolic in.

Which Duke is not going to do. But if they were, why not keep Cutcliffe and let him leverage those advantages?

The reality is that Duke is a small, academically-elite private university in a landscape that is dominated by large, public universities with more flexible academic standards and a much larger and much more local alumni base. That is not going to change.

duke2x
10-26-2019, 10:47 PM

If you want an honest answer to this question, everybody can get fired at work. Coach K would not survive losing 120 games in a row. Similarly, if Cut gets close to breaking Northwestern's record, his seat will be hot because I don't think Duke will let the program fall that far again. Roof almost broke Northwestern's record in 2007...until he beat Northwestern.

I had the best view you could want of that last interception in Kenan tonight, and I spent over 2 hours getting home to Wake County as usual. I was also one of the 5 non-parents that saw Katrenick score his 2nd career touchdown last weekend. The thought of calling for Cut's job has not crossed my mind.

Devilsforlife
10-26-2019, 11:03 PM
I absolutely love Cut, and everything he has done for Duke FB, and think firing him at this point would be utter lunacy, but the program has definitely stagnated over the last few years. 10-24 in the ACC since the Miami debacle, 5 straight losses to both Pitt and UVA, and some truly gut-wrenching defeats. I miss the days of contending for, and winning, ACC Coastal titles, and want to see Duke get back to that level again.

Bluedog
10-26-2019, 11:26 PM
I don't think he should be in trouble, but if he continues with the same coaching staff, then he would be telling me that he is content to be mediocre. And if that is the case, then he probably needs to move on.

That is the rationale Ole Miss used to fire him. That he wouldn't get rid of his assistants.

And for the record, I agree with those above that this question is lunacy. While being about .500 and having heart wrenching losses is definitely a hard pill to swallow for the fanbase, certainly it's harder for Cut. And by and large, his teams have produced at a level that far exceeds his predecessors.

I did have a question for Jim though who brought up a few things that Duke football won't do, but would need to be truly compete. First, I thought admissions HAS given Cutcliffe more academic leeway that prior coaches got. Certainly, I can't imagine Duke's academic standards for football players are higher than Stanford's as an example and they've been nationally elite. Certainly, I would think Duke is more academically stringent than the Alabama's of the world, but I've heard that there is now immense flexibility given to the football program.

Secondly, didn't they just invest a ton of money in facilities? One could argue the atmosphere isn't there because fans don't pack the house, but there's no shortage of money being spent on the program, with a new practice facility, updated and first class training centers, and a large investment in Wallace Wade itself. I don't know how Duke's assistant pay compares to other programs so can't speak intelligently to that piece.

Disappointing to lose to the cheaters today, but still confident in this program in the years ahead and no doubt Cut is the right guy for the job!

gep
10-26-2019, 11:40 PM
This is a legitimate question. Cut took the worst program in Division 1 and made it relevant. He had a great three year run, when we should have won the Peach Bowl, and did play in some legitimate bowls. (Sorry, I consider the Pinstripe Bowl as a participation trophy--but then when I was at Duke there were only seven or eight bowls total.) But in the last three and a half seasons he is at exactly .500. I hope we at least stay there, but I have trouble finding two more wins, and certainly no more than that. Our offense is abominable, and Cut is supposed to be a offensive guru. Yes, compared to before he came, we have improved, but recently I get the feeling of regression. This board would never tolerate a basketball program that missed the NCAA tournament two years our of four. Why is it alright for football program to be mediocre? I love Cut, and think he was the best thing to ever happen to Duke football. But he is a 65 year old man with a heart condition. He also is a gentleman of high integrity, who is maybe too loyal in a cutthroat business. I don't think he should be in trouble, but if he continues with the same coaching staff, then he would be telling me that he is content to be mediocre. And if that is the case, then he probably needs to move on.

Well... seeing how Duke football was not even mediocre before Coach Cut got here, I think mediocre (not sure this is the right word) and a bowl game every year is really good for Duke football. And Coach Cut put that expectation of a bowl game every year into Duke football... which is an accomplishment all in itself, and will continue to be an accomplishment for all the reasons mentioned above. GO DUKE!!!

Said another way... what would be a reasonable expectation which is "above" mediocre?

jimsumner
10-26-2019, 11:41 PM
That is the rationale Ole Miss used to fire him. That he wouldn't get rid of his assistants.

And for the record, I agree with those above that this question is lunacy. While being about .500 and having heart wrenching losses is definitely a hard pill to swallow for the fanbase, certainly it's harder for Cut. And by and large, his teams have produced at a level that far exceeds his predecessors.

I did have a question for Jim though who brought up a few things that Duke football won't do, but would need to be truly compete. First, I thought admissions HAS given Cutcliffe more academic leeway that prior coaches got. Certainly, I can't imagine Duke's academic standards for football players are higher than Stanford's as an example and they've been nationally elite. Certainly, I would think Duke is more academically stringent than the Alabama's of the world, but I've heard that there is now immense flexibility given to the football program.

Secondly, didn't they just invest a ton of money in facilities? One could argue the atmosphere isn't there because fans don't pack the house, but there's no shortage of money being spent on the program, with a new practice facility, updated and first class training centers, and a large investment in Wallace Wade itself. I don't know how Duke's assistant pay compares to other programs so can't speak intelligently to that piece.

Disappointing to lose to the cheaters today, but still confident in this program in the years ahead and no doubt Cut is the right guy for the job!

The college football arms race is sheer lunacy. Duke has invested a lot in infrastructure. But they are never going to keep up with the large, public football factories.

Take a look at what Clemson is doing.

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-clemsons-football-facility-2017-10/

My understanding on academics is that Duke has kept the floor where it was for Roof, Franks, et. al. but allow more recruits at the floor. Which places a burden on the coaches to get it right and largely they have.

Stanford is a bit of an outlier because they have so much Silicon Valley money flowing into the program. And even so they haven't been able to maintain their Andrew-Luck-era success.

But the reality is that unless Duke is playing a service academy or one of literally a handful of private schools every game they play is against an opponent that can fish in a much deeper talent pond.

And traditionally that most shows up in depth. Injuries tend to hurt Duke more than they hurt a team with a different recruiting profile.

rsvman
10-26-2019, 11:42 PM
It's hard to envision a plausible scenario in which Duke is significantly better in football without lowering academic standards, increasing the recruiting budget by lot, increasing the assistant coaching budget by a lot, maybe building a palatial Clemson-level playground for all those five-stars to frolic in.

Which Duke is not going to do. But if they were, why not keep Cutcliffe and let him leverage those advantages?

The reality is that Duke is a small, academically-elite private university in a landscape that is dominated by large, public universities with more flexible academic standards and a much larger and much more local alumni base. That is not going to change.

This.

Oh, and starting this thread must've been a knee-jerk reaction, because no rational thought process could ever possibly end with that question at this point in time.

richardjackson199
10-27-2019, 12:55 AM
1 vote to close this thread

Devilwin
10-27-2019, 05:44 AM
Cut has made Duke relevant again. We are not going to find anyone better. No way, no how. But the oc might need a look...