PDA

View Full Version : Soph Tre vs. Frosh Anthony

DevilYouKnow
10-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I'm biased. And yeah Cole Anthony is no doubt a very talented young man.

But I really like our chances with a seasoned Tre Jones over a rookie Cole Anthony. How some can rank UNC ahead of Duke is beyond me. Garrison Brooks is their star returning player? Who is Anthony going to pass to?

elvis14
10-24-2019, 01:31 PM

But I really like our chances with a seasoned Tre Jones over a rookie Cole Anthony. How some can rank UNC ahead of Duke is beyond me. Garrison Brooks is their star returning player? Who is Anthony going to pass to?

Tre is interesting when doing comparisons because most comparisons tend to discount defense in lieu of common numbers. Tre can really play D. As far as I know the common opinion on Tre is that if he has improved his 3 point shot that he's going to be incredible.

I couldn't care less about Cole, he's a Cheater.

Natty_B
10-24-2019, 01:44 PM
I kinda view it like Tatum might have been better than anybody on the '17 UNC team but that didn't matter so much at the end of the day. Also I get some Austin Rivers vibes from Anthony (and not in a good way).

DevilYouKnow
10-24-2019, 01:50 PM
I kinda view it like Tatum might have been better than anybody on the '17 UNC team but that didn't matter so much at the end of the day. Also I get some Austin Rivers vibes from Anthony (and not in a good way).

I'm sure Cole is very good. Bacot is probably okay. But who else they got? Brooks? A bunch of third rate xfers?

Troublemaker
10-24-2019, 02:00 PM
Given the exact same circumstances -- teammates, coaching, etc -- it's Cole Anthony easily. He's just way more talented, and Tre's long-distance (hopefully only long-distance) shooting woes can really hamper an offense.

I'm hoping Roy's recommitment to playing two non-shooting bigs together (now that Maye has graduated) can slow down Anthony a bit this season. Hopefully the grad transfers Keeling and Pierce underwhelm as well. Leaky Black unfortunately sounds like he's going to be a very good player.

It's not going to be a 1-on-1 battle in any case. If Cole Anthony lights us up, it'll be because team defense has failed. And if we slow him down, then team defense spearheaded by Tre should get the credit.

JNort
10-25-2019, 12:42 AM
Not gonna lie, Anthony scares me. I think he outplays expectations and is in the running for ACC POTY even if he doesn't win it.

duke96
10-25-2019, 01:04 AM
Cole looks amazing. Holding aside leadership potential (where Tre is high in my book), I’m not sure there’s a close comparison.

dukelifer
10-25-2019, 06:47 AM
Given the exact same circumstances -- teammates, coaching, etc -- it's Cole Anthony easily. He's just way more talented, and Tre's long-distance (hopefully only long-distance) shooting woes can really hamper an offense.

I'm hoping Roy's recommitment to playing two non-shooting bigs together (now that Maye has graduated) can slow down Anthony a bit this season. Hopefully the grad transfers Keeling and Pierce underwhelm as well. Leaky Black unfortunately sounds like he's going to be a very good player.

It's not going to be a 1-on-1 battle in any case. If Cole Anthony lights us up, it'll be because team defense has failed. And if we slow him down, then team defense spearheaded by Tre should get the credit.

Anthony should have a dominant 1 year. In a head to head matchup- we will see but I agree Duke’s D will need to be great to keep him from affecting the game. UNC is going to be very,very good- young but talented and Anthony’s play will determine their ceiling or roof.

Troublemaker
10-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Anthony should have a dominant 1 year. In a head to head matchup- we will see but I agree Duke’s D will need to be great to keep him from affecting the game. UNC is going to be very,very good- young but talented and Anthony’s play will determine their ceiling or roof.

That's in their range of outcomes -- depending on how many roster questions they answer positively -- but I wouldn't at all call it a lock like you're implying.

I mean, if Duke and UNC switched rosters, you'd be talking about how ACC play is going to a big adjustment for the grad transfers and Anthony, and that you're worried that there's not going to be enough shooting, and if Anthony is going to get frustrated if he keeps driving into packed lanes, etc.

As I've said before, you're the reverse-jinx master around here.

Troublemaker
10-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Let me say also that my assessment has nothing to do with Tre's CTC performance, which I consider to be an outlier and a data point that could reasonably be thrown out.

I think Tre will contend for 1st-team All-ACC, and I think he's going to score a lot of buckets for us inside the arc.

But Cole Anthony should be drafted #1 in the NBA draft, imo at this point. (If Roy doesn't ruin him). He's a stud.

whereinthehellami
10-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Part of me wonders if there was a revenge factor for the Anthony's in selecting the cheaters. A chance for Greg Anthony to realize some paypack after Duke stole the Rebels glory from back in the day. Usually fathers want more for their sons and unfortunately in this situation junior got less. And that is saying something. From the Running Rebels, not exactly squeaky clean, to the dump where rampant cheating is embraced and defended.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-25-2019, 08:08 AM
I’ll reserve judgment on Anthony until after he plays a few games against real college level competition. I would have figured people would have learned by now that it’s silly to anoint a freshman as the best player in the country before he ever steps foot on the floor. Tre, on the other hand, well we know exactly what he can do against the highest level of college competition. And he’s only getting better. I’d take Tre all day everyday and look forward to him teaching the youngster from the Dump a thing or two.

sagegrouse
10-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Part of me wonders if there was a revenge factor for the Anthony's in selecting the cheaters. A chance for Greg Anthony to realize some paypack after Duke stole the Rebels glory from back in the day. Usually fathers want more for their sons and unfortunately in this situation junior got less. And that is saying something. From the Running Rebels, not exactly squeaky clean, to the dump where rampant cheating is embraced and defended.

Oh, my! Greg Anthony got a lot of glory in his day.

AGDukesky
10-25-2019, 08:50 AM
On paper, I’m going with Anthony. He is a better prospect than Coby White coming out of high school and Coby was great against Duke last year. Anthony will score points because he has to for UNC but hopefully Tre’s all-around game will be better. Cole looks to be a special talent and hardly a knock on Tre if he doesn’t win that battle...

SkyBrickey
10-25-2019, 08:59 AM
I’ll reserve judgment on Anthony until after he plays a few games against real college level competition. I would have figured people would have learned by now that it’s silly to anoint a freshman as the best player in the country before he ever steps foot on the floor. Tre, on the other hand, well we know exactly what he can do against the highest level of college competition. And he’s only getting better. I’d take Tre all day everyday and look forward to him teaching the youngster from the Dump a thing or two.

Yes, thank you.

thedukelamere
10-25-2019, 09:46 AM

If Jav or Big Vern tips in a Cheat missed three to tie the game, then misses a free throw to put us up three with 13 seconds left AND THEN allows Cole to bury a 3 in his face to win the game at CIS, let's all agree that it's Natty_B's fault :p

Natty_B
10-25-2019, 09:54 AM
If Jav or Big Vern tips in a Cheat missed three to tie the game, then misses a free throw to put us up three with 13 seconds left AND THEN allows Cole to bury a 3 in his face to win the game at CIS, let's all agree that it's Natty_B's fault :p

I’m thinking more about the end of that season and that it was clearly not an up with people Duke locker room. Anyway since this has turned into another worry fest about UNC I would note, as has been discussed on this board often, grad transfers from low DI programs, usually don’t have great seasons when they move up a weight class. Look at Joe Cremo at Villanova last season.

Kedsy
10-25-2019, 11:27 AM
On paper, I’m going with Anthony. He is a better prospect than Coby White coming out of high school and Coby was great against Duke last year.

Pretty much every UNC player is a better prospect than Luke Maye coming out of high school. And Maye was great against Duke last year (had a 30 point game; averaged 17 and 15). So I guess we're in big trouble, eh?

dukelifer
10-25-2019, 11:27 AM
That's in their range of outcomes -- depending on how many roster questions they answer positively -- but I wouldn't at all call it a lock like you're implying.

I mean, if Duke and UNC switched rosters, you'd be talking about how ACC play is going to a big adjustment for the grad transfers and Anthony, and that you're worried that there's not going to be enough shooting, and if Anthony is going to get frustrated if he keeps driving into packed lanes, etc.

As I've said before, you're the reverse-jinx master around here.

You know me well and yes- if the rosters were swapped I would be worried. My UNC-rooting friends are worried about their team and the loss of leadership. But the reasson I think they can be very, very good is that Anthony has the ability to take over a game at the end in a way that most other pt guards cannot. So UNC will likely be in games and then they will turn to Anthony. Again, I have no data other than what I have seen from the kid in a few All Star games and clips. That all said- I am happy to be very wrong- but I never count in those guys in Chapel Hill out. Mu UNC friends are similarly always worried about Duke.

dukelifer
10-25-2019, 11:29 AM

It is true- they anointed Barrett last year and he was not even the best Freshman on his own team let alone the country ;)

Reddevil
10-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Remember, kyrlina is a system school and the system is at its best with a quick, dynamic point guard. The rest of the guys will run the floor and attack the rim. They will be dangerous. Tre makes running any offense tough by picking up the PG well outside of where he would like to start running the offense and making that PG operate with his back to the rim. So the heels will try to outrun the defense and avoid the half court difficulties that Duke can put on them. If they did not get Anthony they would be in real trouble this year -- but they did. Now it is a matter of execution at the highest (collegiate) level. It's almost here! Azubuike awaits.

AGDukesky
10-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Pretty much every UNC player is a better prospect than Luke Maye coming out of high school. And Maye was great against Duke last year (had a 30 point game; averaged 17 and 15). So I guess we're in big trouble, eh?

Oh, I guess you are saying Maye was still technically a freshman last season because the players never go to class- and he was matched up against Tre? Otherwise that’s not really an apples-to-apples comparison...

Kedsy
10-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Oh, I guess you are saying Maye was still technically a freshman last season because the players never go to class- and he was matched up against Tre? Otherwise that’s not really an apples-to-apples comparison...

I was attempting to point out the logical fallacy of saying if one player overachieves then the next player at that position on that team will similarly overachieve. But the technically a freshman thing is good too.