21. Arizona
22. LSU
23. Purdue
24. Auburn
25. VCU

Funny stuff. (lol) Happy now? :p;)

Troublemaker
10-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Pretty cool that the Champions Classic will feature the top 4 teams.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Pretty cool that the Champions Classic will feature the top 4 teams.
Plus, I gotta believe it it pisses off a certain elementary school down the road not to be part of it. Of course, they would probably do well in the Champions* Classic were there such an event.

wobatus
10-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Funny stuff. (lol) Happy now? :p;)

At least there's a Commonwealth team down at the bottom of the list. Gotta agree that was funny.

Wahoo2000
10-21-2019, 02:40 PM
Plus, I gotta believe it it pisses off a certain elementary school down the road not to be part of it. Of course, they would probably do well in the Champions* Classic were there such an event.

I'm (obviously) not a UNC guy, but I do think it's an advantage for Duke to be able to "skip out" on playing an ACC game in their opener. Especially as young as you guys tend to be, you're certainly avoiding a good spot for an upset by not having to compete in a road game against a potential top-half ACC team right out of the gate.

DEFINITELY not saying I'd expect you to lose if you were opening with something like a game @Syracuse, like my Hoos are, but I'd think it's a LOT more likely to take an upset loss in the first game of the season than it is in Jan/Feb/Mar when those young guys get some experience under their belts and some chemistry built with their teammates. And when the race for the 1 seed in the ACC tourney usually comes down to 1 game, that's a distinct advantage (IMO).

Since the ACC has an odd number of teams, *somebody* gets to have a pass on having to open the season with an ACC game, I just don't think the same team should get that advantage every year. That said - go out there and represent the league well and put a beat down on Kansas!

flyingdutchdevil
10-21-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm (obviously) not a UNC guy, but I do think it's an advantage for Duke to be able to "skip out" on playing an ACC game in their opener. Especially as young as you guys tend to be, you're certainly avoiding a good spot for an upset by not having to compete in a road game against a potential top-half ACC team right out of the gate.

DEFINITELY not saying I'd expect you to lose if you were opening with something like a game @Syracuse, like my Hoos are, but I'd think it's a LOT more likely to take an upset loss in the first game of the season than it is in Jan/Feb/Mar when those young guys get some experience under their belts and some chemistry built with their teammates. And when the race for the 1 seed in the ACC tourney usually comes down to 1 game, that's a distinct advantage (IMO).

Since the ACC has an odd number of teams, *somebody* gets to have a pass on having to open the season with an ACC game, I just don't think the same team should get that advantage every year. That said - go out there and represent the league well and put a beat down on Kansas!

IDK...

Duke does a muuuuuch better job than most teams at being prepared early in the season. Remember the Duke-UK game to start the season? We made UK look like a JV team. And I guarantee if we played MSU, we'd crush them.

The level of improvement for most really good teams as the season progresses is higher than Duke, however.

UrinalCake
10-21-2019, 02:51 PM
I do think it's an advantage for Duke to be able to "skip out" on playing an ACC game in their opener.

Our first ACC game is AT Virginia Tech on 12/6. So while we do miss that opening night conference game, there’s no easing into the schedule for us! Three out of our first four conference games are also on the road.

fuse
10-21-2019, 03:58 PM
An ambitious ranking. I’d be thrilled to see this team at the Final Four.

jimsumner
10-21-2019, 04:19 PM
IDK...

Duke does a muuuuuch better job than most teams at being prepared early in the season. Remember the Duke-UK game to start the season? We made UK look like a JV team. And I guarantee if we played MSU, we'd crush them.

The level of improvement for most really good teams as the season progresses is higher than Duke, however.

Gee, it's too bad Duke doesn't get to play Michigan State early this season, with that guaranteed win and all.

flyingdutchdevil
10-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Gee, it's too bad Duke doesn't get to play Michigan State early this season, with that guaranteed win and all.

Hahahaha. My reference, which was poorly done, was about last year (and how if we played MSU instead of UK, we'd crush them).

Should have been a lot more clear about that.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-21-2019, 05:16 PM
https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

1. MSU
2. UK
3. KU
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Florida
7. Maryland
8. Gonzaga
9. Holes
10. Nova

12. Seton Hall
13. Texas Tech
14. Memphis
15. Oregon
16. Baylor
17. Utah State
18. Ohio State
19. Xavier
20. St.Mary's
21. Arizona
22. LSU
23. Purdue
24. Auburn
25. VCU

Hmmm. 11 must be the site's hotel 13th floor! I wonder Hoo's ranked 11th? :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CrazyNotCrazie
10-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Hmmm. 11 must be the site's hotel 13th floor! I wonder Hoo's ranked 11th? :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

He was very cavalier in his omission - I would give him a Tony.

BD80
10-21-2019, 05:38 PM
ACC's a bit top-heavy this year?

4 in the top 11, zero from 12 - 25.

jimsumner
10-21-2019, 06:46 PM
ACC's a bit top-heavy this year?

4 in the top 11, zero from 12 - 25.

Which is the exact opposite of the prevailing narrative that there are no dominant teams but a lot of balance.

devildeac
10-21-2019, 07:00 PM
He was very cavalier in his omission - I would give him a Tony.

Definitely worth the Bennett-fit of the doubt.

cato
10-21-2019, 07:09 PM

You have excellent sensitivities as a Wahoo in DBRland, but not on this point. I am much more concerned about Duke’s performance in January than in November.

Wahoo2000
10-21-2019, 08:01 PM
You have excellent sensitivities as a Wahoo in DBRland, but not on this point. I am much more concerned about Duke’s performance in January than in November.

Maybe so. My only point was really that I think almost ANY top team is more vulnerable to upsets in Nov before they have a chance to gain experience and team chemistry, and that Duke, by avoiding the early ACC game, avoids a higher-than-usual chance of upset.

Could be wrong though, and no big deal anyway, as I'm sure the analytics gurus would inform me that it's a statistically insignificant difference (in chance of upset) anyhow.

Thanks for the kind words on my sensitivities. To be honest though, I don't really hold back about much, how I post is a pretty good representation of how I feel.

devildeac
10-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Maybe so. My only point was really that I think almost ANY top team is more vulnerable to upsets in Nov before they have a chance to gain experience and team chemistry, and that Duke, by avoiding the early ACC game, avoids a higher-than-usual chance of upset.

Could be wrong though, and no big deal anyway, as I'm sure the analytics gurus would inform me that it's a statistically insignificant difference (in chance of upset) anyhow.

Thanks for the kind words on my sensitivities. To be honest though, I don't really hold back about much, how I post is a pretty good representation of how I feel.

Yea, good analytical/factual/honest discussions/material and next to no trolling from the UVa fans who post here. Quality stuff.

Green Wave Dukie
10-21-2019, 09:25 PM
Definitely worth the Bennett-fit of the doubt.

DD - I knew you would be that Guy to do this.

OldPhiKap
10-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Yea, good analytical/factual/honest discussions/material and next to no trolling from the UVa fans who post here. Quality stuff.

Indeed, we have a number of quality Cav contributors.

DavidBenAkiva
10-21-2019, 09:52 PM
One thing that jumps out to me about the list of top 25 teams is the number of squads that have had significant roster turnover, replacing 3 or more starters. That has become the norm at places like Duke and Kentucky. Other schools have not had as much success with this. Villanoa took a big step back last year after 4 of their key contributors left for the NBA. The big roster turnover teams this year include Kentucky, Duke, Gonzaga, UNC, Virginia, Texas Tech, Memphis, Arizona, LSU, and Auburn. That's 40% of the Top 25. Villanova is also missing its presumptive leading scorer to start the season, Bryan Antoine. I think we'll see a good number of upsets in the first couple months as teams try to figure out who they have and rotations.

fuse
10-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Matt Norlander with a reasonable take on Duke preseason.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-every-college-basketball-team-from-no-1-to-353-for-2019-20-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Is that chum in the water? 🦈 🤔😳🤣

proelitedota
10-23-2019, 01:19 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-every-college-basketball-team-from-no-1-to-353-for-2019-20-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Is that chum in the water? 🦈 🤔😳🤣

🎣

Matt the fisherman.

duke4ever19
10-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Is that chum in the water? �� ������

Ugh. I'm already confused enough about this Duke team and now Norlander comes along and says that an argument can be made to slot us in at #13, or #14. So preseason #4, or #14 . . . I wonder which will prove more accurate prediction come March.

Natty_B
10-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Ugh. I'm already confused enough about this Duke team and now Norlander comes along and says that an argument can be made to slot us in at #13, or #14. So preseason #4, or #14 . . . I wonder which will prove more accurate prediction come March.

UNC at 4 in the Norlander ranking seems way high to me IMO. I just don't see the grad transfers doing a lot for them.

Natty_B
10-23-2019, 02:37 PM
I looked up where the 2019 Elite 8 teams were ranked in the AP 2018-19 preseason Top 25:

UVA: 5
Purdue: 24
Texas Tech: Not ranked (received 6 votes)
Gonzaga: 3
Auburn: 11
Kentucky: 2
Duke: 4
Michigan State 10

The final four was teams ranked 5, 10, 11 and not ranked. Championship was 5 vs not ranked.

Make of this what you will.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-23-2019, 02:53 PM
I looked up where the 2019 Elite 8 teams were ranked in the AP 2018-19 preseason Top 25:

UVA: 5
Purdue: 24
Texas Tech: Not ranked (received 6 votes)
Gonzaga: 3
Auburn: 11
Kentucky: 2
Duke: 4
Michigan State 10

The final four was teams ranked 5, 10, 11 and not ranked. Championship was 5 vs not ranked.

Make of this what you will.
Sorry, I just couldn’t resist...

https://youtu.be/L8oAQOvOEXY

JasonEvans
10-23-2019, 03:23 PM
And just like that... Dr. Rosenrosen won the thread.

Someone please spork the good Dr. for me!!

fuse
10-23-2019, 04:20 PM
And just like that... Dr. Rosenrosen won the thread.

Someone please spork the good Dr. for me!!

Done. 🎊🎉

roywhite
10-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Don't know how accurate these preseason polls are but I'm very encouraged by the Jim Sumner piece (currently on the front page) on Vernon Carey and others.

By Jim's observations, it seems the parts are there for a very good team by year end. And who better than Coach K to put it together?

JasonEvans
10-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Coaches poll is now out too.
https://247sports.com/college/duke/LongFormArticle/College-basketball-coaches-poll-unveils-preseason-top-25-137431525/#137431525_8

1. MSU
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Lou
6. Fla
7. Gonzaga
8. Maryland

UNC checks in at #11. FSU, Syracuse, and NC State all in the "other's receiving votes" category. So does Tommy's Harvard squad.

-Jason " ;) " Evans

CameronBornAndBred
02-17-2020, 09:56 PM
I couldn't find an ACC Preseason thread, so this one is as good as any.
As the regular season winds down, it's a fun time to look back at a few predictions and compare them with reality.

This is where the media folks thought the conference would be in March.
1. Duke (51), 1564
2. North Carolina (19), 1493
3. Louisville (29), 1448
4. Virginia (12), 1405
5. Florida State, 1157
6. NC State, 1038
7. Notre Dame, 915
8. Syracuse, 910
9. Miami, 768
10. Pitt, 577
11. Clemson, 564
12. Georgia Tech, 437
13. Boston College, 382
14. Virginia Tech, 334
15. Wake Forest, 328

It's so awesome to see the Heels in that lofty 2 spot. HA!
Also, here is how they predicted the teams to All-ACC teams to be.

Preseason All-ACC Team
First Team
Jordan Nwora, Louisville, 95
Tre Jones, Duke, 89
Cole Anthony, North Carolina, 81
John Mooney, Notre Dame, 51
Mamadi Diakite, Virginia, 49

Second Team
Markell Johnson, NC State, 39
Vernon Carey Jr., Duke, 19
Chris Lykes, Miami, 18
Garrison Brooks, North Carolina, 11
Trent Forrest, Florida State, 11

Preseason ACC Player of the Year
Jordan Nwora, Louisville, 55
Cole Anthony, North Carolina, 31
Tre Jones, Duke, 19
John Mooney, Notre Dame, 3
Mamadi Diakite, Virginia, 2
Markell Johnson, NC State, 1

Preseason ACC Freshman of the Year
Cole Anthony, North Carolina, 89
Vernon Carey Jr., Duke, 8
Wendell Moore Jr., Duke, 5
Casey Morsell, Virginia, 3
Cassius Stanley, Duke, 3
Matthew Hurt, Duke, 3

I'll give them a pass on Anthony. Nobody could see his extended absence, and given his scoring output, I'd have no doubt that he would earn his spot among the first 5. Not so sure about FOY, though. That one still goes to Vernon in my book.
I'm assuming that both Tre and Vernon will make first team All-ACC as well. It's wild seeing that for the FOY voting, 4 of the 6 given votes were from Duke. High expectations indeed.

https://theacc.com/news/2019/10/10/mens-basketball-duke-tabbed-as-preseason-acc-favorite.aspx