PDA

View Full Version : Viewing C2C on ACCNX

rckeat
10-15-2019, 12:55 PM
So for once, I am trying to get ahead of the game and figure out how to watch Countdown to Craziness this Friday. I have access to the ACC Network through my cable provider, and can see other ACCNX content lineup available for this Friday night. But I dont see C2C as something that will be on ACCNX.

The official schedule lists ACCNX as where it will be available for viewing. If someone figures this out in the meantime, please post how you found it. I will do the same if I figure it out on my own.

Richard

Nrrrrvous
10-15-2019, 04:12 PM
I thought I read where it's only available on ESPN+ ($5/mo) but I'll see if I can track down where I read that.

(edit) That article was from last year. Move along. Nothing to see here...

Nrrrrvous
10-15-2019, 04:22 PM
On a related, sort of, note. Anyone else here have Youtube TV? How can I check to see what is showing in a day, or two, or three? Is there no option for this?

LasVegas
10-15-2019, 04:28 PM
On a related, sort of, note. Anyone else here have Youtube TV? How can I check to see what is showing in a day, or two, or three? Is there no option for this?

A regular TV guide?

DoubleBlue
10-15-2019, 04:54 PM
ESPN+ never worked very well for me. Half the time I could not even log in. I gave up on it and unsubscribed. There are other, better alternatives.

UrinalCake
10-15-2019, 05:27 PM
ESPN+ never worked very well for me. Half the time I could not even log in. I gave up on it and unsubscribed. There are other, better alternatives.

For content only shown on ESPN+, there are no other alternatives. Hopefully that won’t be the case for many of our games.

rckeat
10-15-2019, 06:16 PM
So here is what I have learned from my research

- Countdown to Craziness and the first 2 exhibition games are listed on GoDuke.com as being available on ACCNX

- ACCN = the ACC network which is available on television from many cable TV providers

- ACCNX = the ACC Network Extra which is only available online.

- Both are owned and operated by ESPN. ACCNX is only available on the ESPN App and will only be available to subscribers with access to ACCN through their pay TV providers.

- If you press the "Watch" button in the app and scroll down to the bottom, you can select "Channels" and find ACCNX. You can locate ACCNX available content there.

- this is where I run into trouble. I can see some upcoming ACCNX content available there but not C2C.

If anybody learns anything to help in the search, please respond.

Richard

proelitedota
10-15-2019, 07:09 PM
Would the all replays be on goduke.com like last year?

msdukie
10-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Here is the best way to search:

https://www.espn.com/watch/search/duke

Countdown is not up yet.

Note that there is an ACC Traditions: Duke on ACCN tomorrow at 9p.

UrinalCake
10-15-2019, 10:41 PM
- ACCNX is only available on the ESPN App and will only be available to subscribers with access to ACCN through their pay TV providers.

This is a constant source of confusion for me. If I have access to ACCN through a streaming-only site, such as Sling, YouTube TV, or Hulu, does that count as having a "TV subscription"? In the past ESPN has distinguished between the two (cable subscriber versus digital subscriber), but recently it seems like they do not.

Would the all replays be on goduke.com like last year?

They're usually posted on YouTube pretty quickly, both through official channels and non-official. You might miss the potato chip sorting, but the player intros and the scrimmage will be there.

pamtar
10-16-2019, 09:18 AM

- Countdown to Craziness and the first 2 exhibition games are listed on GoDuke.com as being available on ACCNX

- ACCN = the ACC network which is available on television from many cable TV providers

- ACCNX = the ACC Network Extra which is only available online.

- Both are owned and operated by ESPN. ACCNX is only available on the ESPN App and will only be available to subscribers with access to ACCN through their pay TV providers.

- If you press the "Watch" button in the app and scroll down to the bottom, you can select "Channels" and find ACCNX. You can locate ACCNX available content there.

- this is where I run into trouble. I can see some upcoming ACCNX content available there but not C2C.

If anybody learns anything to help in the search, please respond.

Richard

So if I use someone's cable subscription log-in on my Roku will I have access to all the ACCN? I'm fairly certain they havent paid any extra, just basic ESPN and ESPN2 cable subscription.

rckeat
10-16-2019, 01:35 PM
From what I have been able to see from my cable tv provider (Cox), the ACCN is available as part of my package. There was no additional cost to me for accessing it.

As a result, I can access ACCN and the ACCNX content through the ESPN app or at ESPN.com. I had to indicate in the app (or at espn.com) who my cable TV provider is, and provide a login ID and password for that provider. Then I was able to access both ESPN and ACCN content on the app, and ACCNX content on the app.

I still dont see C2C as an upcoming event which seems problematic since there are other upcoming Duke events that will be aired on ACCNX that are visible for the same date as C2C. That doesn't make sense to me.

Richard

WiJoe
10-16-2019, 04:46 PM
I am a directv customer. I have been able to access everything on ACC network extra.

Just checked watchespn.com. Here's what it shows for Friday:

7:00 PM
Duke's Countdown to Craziness (M Basketball)
accextra

between the (M Basketball) an accextra there is a locked padlock. It shows that for EVERYTHING on ACC Network extra. Was able to access replay of ga tech-miami fb game on laptop. So it would APPEAR CTC will be available for directv subscribers.

duke79
10-16-2019, 05:17 PM

I've been using Youtube TV as my streaming service for almost the past year. One of the frustrating parts of the service is that the "schedule" of upcoming shows only covers the next 4 or 5 hours. So, if you want to record a particular show or event more than a few hours in advance (or search for an upcoming event), it is not that easy to do. The only way to do so (as far as I know) is to use the search function and then it will pull up future events. For example, I searched last night for "Duke football", and it pulled up the Duke/Virginia telecast on Saturday. I was then able to tell the program to record the game.

SlapTheFloor
10-16-2019, 05:55 PM
I've been using Youtube TV as my streaming service for almost the past year. One of the frustrating parts of the service is that the "schedule" of upcoming shows only covers the next 4 or 5 hours. So, if you want to record a particular show or event more than a few hours in advance (or search for an upcoming event), it is not that easy to do. The only way to do so (as far as I know) is to use the search function and then it will pull up future events. For example, I searched last night for "Duke football", and it pulled up the Duke/Virginia telecast on Saturday. I was then able to tell the program to record the game.

I used YouTube TV for a while. You can tell it you're interested in a particular team, and it will record all games they're involved in. You will end up with some replays and such, but, you have unlimited storage, so who cares. The one issue I did have was with tournaments. Because they don't know in advance who will be playing at what time, they can't put that information in the guide. As a result, it doesn't know which game to record.

rckeat
10-16-2019, 07:47 PM
I am a directv customer. I have been able to access everything on ACC network extra.

Just checked watchespn.com. Here's what it shows for Friday:

7:00 PM
Duke's Countdown to Craziness (M Basketball)
accextra

between the (M Basketball) an accextra there is a locked padlock. It shows that for EVERYTHING on ACC Network extra. Was able to access replay of ga tech-miami fb game on laptop. So it would APPEAR CTC will be available for directv subscribers.

So I can now see C2C listed on the upcoming ACCNX events via the ESPN app. So I am all set at least. Good luck to everyone else and it is time to get pumped for Duke basketball.

Richard9850

awhom111
10-16-2019, 09:41 PM
From what I have been able to see from my cable tv provider (Cox), the ACCN is available as part of my package. There was no additional cost to me for accessing it.

As a result, I can access ACCN and the ACCNX content through the ESPN app or at ESPN.com. I had to indicate in the app (or at espn.com) who my cable TV provider is, and provide a login ID and password for that provider. Then I was able to access both ESPN and ACCN content on the app, and ACCNX content on the app.

I still dont see C2C as an upcoming event which seems problematic since there are other upcoming Duke events that will be aired on ACCNX that are visible for the same date as C2C. That doesn't make sense to me.

Richard

As someone who watches a lot of internet-only stuff on ESPN, I can confirm that they often do not list an event until scarily close to its start and sometimes post the wrong time as well. Someone on Duke's side probably brought it to their attention and then they added the event.

msdukie
10-16-2019, 10:51 PM
This is a constant source of confusion for me. If I have access to ACCN through a streaming-only site, such as Sling, YouTube TV, or Hulu, does that count as having a "TV subscription"? In the past ESPN has distinguished between the two (cable subscriber versus digital subscriber), but recently it seems like they do not.

Yes, it counts as a "TV subscription."

killerleft
10-16-2019, 11:27 PM
I used YouTube TV for a while. You can tell it you're interested in a particular team, and it will record all games they're involved in. You will end up with some replays and such, but, you have unlimited storage, so who cares. The one issue I did have was with tournaments. Because they don't know in advance who will be playing at what time, they can't put that information in the guide. As a result, it doesn't know which game to record.

My YouTube TV automatically records all live Duke Basketball and Football games, and for the reason you state. I usually check to make sure, but there it is. The coolest part is that YouTube TV doesn't miss the end of games if they go past the time set aside for them on the schedule. I have the Premier League checked, so all the live games available on YouTube TV are automatically recorded. Ditto for the UEFA Champions League, 'Canes hockey, etc.

On topic, though, CTC won't be recorded because ACCNX isn't part of the lineup.

mgtr
10-17-2019, 02:39 AM
My YouTube TV automatically records all live Duke Basketball and Football games, and for the reason you state. I usually check to make sure, but there it is. The coolest part is that YouTube TV doesn't miss the end of games if they go past the time set aside for them on the schedule. I have the Premier League checked, so all the live games available on YouTube TV are automatically recorded. Ditto for the UEFA Champions League, 'Canes hockey, etc.

I am frustrated. I am not stupid, and I know a fair amount about computers I want to watch CTC, but there is no straightforward answer about howe to do it. The answer is like an amoeba: It just puts out a new arm that wasn't there before. I think the ACC (ha, maybe just Duke) needs to put out some metastations, which, no matter what, are certain to carry the games. Then a Duke fan can look up his/or her metastations, and be guaranteed to see Duke games, regardless oo what channel is actuallly carrying them. Old duffers (such as me) can always find the game instantly. If the ACC staff cannot do this, hire staff who can.

Troublemaker
10-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Ahhh, how I pine for the days when I could just fork over $10 to GoDuke to watch CTC and 2 exhibitions if only the NeuLion stream would be functional.

I can't believe how much an improvement that would be.

clinresga
10-17-2019, 08:44 AM

Wow, that was difficult. In order to access ACCNX, using my YouTube TV subscription, I had to

Download the ESPN app to my phone

Log into my ESPN account (didn't know I had one, suspect it was a relic of years ago) and hit the "need help signing in" button

Get the code emailed to me and enter it to log into account

Use change password function to enter a new password that I actually know (tried this on computer, but unlike phone, that required knowing my old forgotten password)

Once logged in, hit the "Watch" button, went to "Replays" and went back to a prior ACCNX event (I used the Louisville-WFU football game last Saturday) and clicked on it. It then directed me to a login page where you chose your cable/streaming TV provider and logged in using my YouTube TV login (which is my Google account). That allowed me to watch the LV-WFU replay and I am hoping that will allow me to watch CTC.

They don't make this easy...

DukeFanSince1990
10-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Wow, that was difficult. In order to access ACCNX, using my YouTube TV subscription, I had to

Download the ESPN app to my phone

Log into my ESPN account (didn't know I had one, suspect it was a relic of years ago) and hit the "need help signing in" button

Get the code emailed to me and enter it to log into account

Use change password function to enter a new password that I actually know (tried this on computer, but unlike phone, that required knowing my old forgotten password)

Once logged in, hit the "Watch" button, went to "Replays" and went back to a prior ACCNX event (I used the Louisville-WFU football game last Saturday) and clicked on it. It then directed me to a login page where you chose your cable/streaming TV provider and logged in using my YouTube TV login (which is my Google account). That allowed me to watch the LV-WFU replay and I am hoping that will allow me to watch CTC.

They don't make this easy...

In two days you should receive a urine specimen bottle in the mail. Be sure to fill it up to the line and mail it back in. You should be good to go after that.

UrinalCake
10-18-2019, 12:06 AM
Ok, so if you go to the main ESPN page, click on "Watch" and then "Schedule and Replays," you get a general programming guide. Filter by ACCNX, click "Upcoming" and select Friday, and C2C does appear.

Similarly if you click on "Replay" (in place of "Upcoming") and select a date in the past, there a list of past events that are archived. If you click on it to view, then it asks for your provider credentials. So, my hope is that we'll be able to watch a replay of C2C after it airs by using this Replay feature.

proelitedota
10-18-2019, 12:10 AM
Ahhh, how I pine for the days when I could just fork over $10 to GoDuke to watch CTC and 2 exhibitions if only the NeuLion stream would be functional.

I can't believe how much an improvement that would be.

Did GoDuke stop streaming the CTC and the 2 exhibitions this year?

awhom111
10-18-2019, 12:43 AM
Did GoDuke stop streaming the CTC and the 2 exhibitions this year?

ESPN controls all those rights now so it goes through one of their platforms, in this case ACCNX.

I know that some men's basketball only fans preferred when schools still controlled their own third-tier rights. As a multisport fan, ESPN controlling all rights is better because we can watch the other sports for no added cost when they play road conference games. Before, those schools could charge for those events or not offer a video feed at all.

mgtr
10-18-2019, 03:39 AM
Ok, so if you go to the main ESPN page, click on "Watch" and then "Schedule and Replays," you get a general programming guide. Filter by ACCNX, click "Upcoming" and select Friday, and C2C does appear.

Similarly if you click on "Replay" (in place of "Upcoming") and select a date in the past, there a list of past events that are archived. If you click on it to view, then it asks for your provider credentials. So, my hope is that we'll be able to watch a replay of C2C after it airs by using this Replay feature.

Wow, this is very helpful. In the name of clarity, I will continue to be a PITA. Two problems: I could not begin with ESPN, but had to start with ESPN+, so i guess that $$ will be involved. That is OK. Second, all it really tells me is that on Friday at 7, CTC will be on ACCNX. However, I know (from past experience) that I need to go to streaming ESPN+. I can do that. So, I should be all set. I thank one and all for bringing clarity to the murk. Still, it seems like a lot of folderol for something that should be simple. Now where is that rabbit ears antenna? I accept that we have come a long ways from 10" TVs in black and white with 4 stations, and I am grateful for that progress, but the man-machine interface still needs a lot of work. Again, I say thank you.

rckeat
10-18-2019, 07:32 AM
Wow, this is very helpful. In the name of clarity, I will continue to be a PITA. Two problems: I could not begin with ESPN, but had to start with ESPN+, so i guess that $$ will be involved. That is OK. Second, all it really tells me is that on Friday at 7, CTC will be on ACCNX. However, I know (from past experience) that I need to go to streaming ESPN+. I can do that. So, I should be all set. I thank one and all for bringing clarity to the murk. Still, it seems like a lot of folderol for something that should be simple. Now where is that rabbit ears antenna? I accept that we have come a long ways from 10" TVs in black and white with 4 stations, and I am grateful for that progress, but the man-machine interface still needs a lot of work. Again, I say thank you.

I agree that this is very confusing and not very user-friendly. But I don't think an ESPN+ subscription is required to access ACCNX but rather a pay TV subscription (ie. Cable) that includes the ACC network. Some cable services have not worked out a deal with ACC Network from what I understand.

FWIW, I watched "The Class that Saved Coach K" on ACCNX last night which I highly recommend to all who haven't seen it.

RichardRichard

mgtr
10-18-2019, 07:47 AM
I agree that this is very confusing and not very user-friendly. But I don't think an ESPN+ subscription is required to access ACCNX but rather a pay TV subscription (ie. Cable) that includes the ACC network. Some cable services have not worked out a deal with ACC Network from what I understand.

FWIW, I watched "The Class that Saved Coach K" on ACCNX last night which I highly recommend to all who haven't seen it.

RichardRichard

You, sir, are right. I looked again, and CTC is listed under both ESPN and ESPN+. Maybe someone will produce a "Guide to Understanding ESPN!"

UrinalCake
10-18-2019, 09:21 AM
ESPN has always been confusing as heck. At first they differentiated between customers who had cable TV subscription versus customers who had streaming only. And some TV providers could provide access to ESPN online, but not others. ESPN3 has been a whole separate thing that has generated tons of confusion. Then there’s ESPNU which only some people get.

You would think they would find a way to simplify things. I know they’re running a business and want to maximize their profits, but they seem to put little priority on user experience.

mgtr
10-18-2019, 10:57 AM
ESPN has always been confusing as heck. At first they differentiated between customers who had cable TV subscription versus customers who had streaming only. And some TV providers could provide access to ESPN online, but not others. ESPN3 has been a whole separate thing that has generated tons of confusion. Then there’s ESPNU which only some people get.

You would think they would find a way to simplify things. I know they’re running a business and want to maximize their profits, but they seem to put little priority on user experience.

It is easy to fall into the K-Mart trap -- you are King of the Hill, and expect to remain so. But wait - there is little old Sam Walton hiding in the bushes, who will end up putting you out of business. Lots of stories like that, but the problem never comes from where you expect it. But if you take care of your customers you make it harder for whatever may be lurking.

Troublemaker
10-18-2019, 03:56 PM
On DukeMBB instagram, they posted the Blue / White teams. White team looks suspiciously like it could be the starting lineup as of right now.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/2fab4f5613cb4486fb6a1542cb863aaa/5DACB1AB/t51.12442-15/e35/75207253_2514625715487102_5382056975186297749_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=106&se=7

OZZIE4DUKE
10-18-2019, 04:20 PM
On DukeMBB instagram, they posted the Blue / White teams. White team looks suspiciously like it could be the starting lineup as of right now.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/2fab4f5613cb4486fb6a1542cb863aaa/5DACB1AB/t51.12442-15/e35/75207253_2514625715487102_5382056975186297749_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=106&se=7
Mickie will be very happy that her grandson is starting! :cool::rolleyes:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

hsheffield
10-18-2019, 04:45 PM
I signed up for ESPN+ and can watch that content w/o problem. I am an ATT Uverse subscriber for TV and internet. I can get the ACCN on my TV.

however I'm unable to access ACCNX content using the ESPN App through Apple TV or through watchESPN.com

I get this message:

ACCN and ACCNX are currently unavailable within the ESPN App. ...Our team is working diligently...In the meantime, you can enjoy ACCN on your TV. Contact your TV provider for local channel listings.

Anyone got any ideas?

dukelifer
10-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Hard to believe Carey won't start

Hingeknocker
10-18-2019, 05:08 PM
I signed up for ESPN+ and can watch that content w/o problem. I am an ATT Uverse subscriber for TV and internet. I can get the ACCN on my TV.

however I'm unable to access ACCNX content using the ESPN App through Apple TV or through watchESPN.com

I get this message:

ACCN and ACCNX are currently unavailable within the ESPN App. ...Our team is working diligently...In the meantime, you can enjoy ACCN on your TV. Contact your TV provider for local channel listings.

Anyone got any ideas?

I also have Uverse and have the exact same thing happening within the ESPN App. I think the issue is on the Uverse side, because I've had issues all over the place in the last couple weeks trying to get my Uverse credentials to unlock content. If you have time, I'd try calling the ATT tech support line and see if there's anything they can do. That worked for me when none of the third party apps and websites were working for me. Good luck!

(There's also a chance that there's nothing they can or will do. I've seen rumors on various threads that ATT is purposely and/or letting slide these third party issues due to various disputes, content fees, etc. It might be the case that ATT and ESPN just do not have an agreement for ACCNX to work with Uverse credentials.)

SavDukeGrad
10-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Hard to believe Carey won't start

I agree. I went to C2C last year, and it seemed to me the teams were an attempt to spread the talent out evenly, to ensure a balanced, competitive game. Tre and Zion were on one team, RJ and Cam on the other. FWIW.

Kedsy
10-18-2019, 05:27 PM
I agree. I went to C2C last year, and it seemed to me the teams were an attempt to spread the talent out evenly, to ensure a balanced, competitive game. Tre and Zion were on one team, RJ and Cam on the other. FWIW.

Doesn't look like that's the case this year, based on the rosters above. Unless Joey and Cassius are WAY better than people have been giving them credit for.

proelitedota
10-18-2019, 06:16 PM
They're clearly spreading out the veterans and freshmen evenly between two teams.

Vernon + Cassius vs Hurt + Moore
Jack White + Goldwire + White vs Tre + Javin + AOC.

Don't read too much into it.

Troublemaker
10-18-2019, 06:28 PM

I get this message:

Anyone got any ideas?

You need to immediately sign up for the 5-day free trial of YoutubeTV* and use that to log in to ESPN instead of your Uverse credentials.

You'll know you have ACCN access if you can watch other ACCN videos, live or replay.

* Note: it doesn't have to be YoutubeTV but that's one that has been confirmed to work in this thread. Something similar (like Playstation Vue) could also work. Something with a free trial and you can cancel a few days later.

SkyBrickey
10-18-2019, 07:08 PM
It's 7:08 and I'm still getting "event about to begin" on ESPN+

Anybody else?

chrishoke
10-18-2019, 07:09 PM

Anybody else?

Me too. All other 7 pm shows have started.

fuse
10-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Anyone else getting an actual feed?
Via ESPN app and Hulu subscription I get a never ending “your event will start shortly” graphic with a 3 second audio clip that is on auto repeat.

Guess I’ll check back before 8:30.

Furniture
10-18-2019, 07:10 PM
ESPN+ not working for me...

azzefkram
10-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Has it started? I get a Your event is about to begin. Please stand by.

SkyBrickey
10-18-2019, 07:12 PM
They must be working to get the feed up.

I can see the Kentucky scrimmage so I know it's not a personal problem...

DukieInKansas
10-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one with that obnoxious short tune on continuous repeat.

KrzyzewskivilleBum

Anybody else?

They are probably doing like they did last year and won't start the stream until right before the team comes out, which will be in about 45 minutes.

ChillinDuke
It's possible it hasn't started in earnest.

Not sure if anyone's there they can tell us.

- Chillin

Furniture
10-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Mine says ACC network not currently available....

SCMatt33
10-18-2019, 07:19 PM
I’m getting the standby screen as well. The GoDuke article had stated the TV coverage wouldn’t start until 8 so I’m guessing that the event “starting” at 7 was just making the stream live.

ChillinDuke
10-18-2019, 07:20 PM
I’m getting the standby screen as well. The GoDuke article had stated the TV coverage wouldn’t start until 8 so I’m guessing that the event “starting” at 7 was just making the stream live.

That makes sense and sounds right. Will try back at 8pm.

- Chillin

hsheffield
10-18-2019, 07:27 PM
I signed up for Youtube TV but all I can get so far is the Kentucky blue-white game...

I'm starting to have anger issues around ESPN

Furniture
10-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Duke basketball is live on FB. Nothing happening in Cameron yet except the normal student silly stuff...

hsheffield
10-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Duke basketball is live on FB. Nothing happening in Cameron yet except the normal student silly stuff...

where on FB?

Furniture
10-18-2019, 07:39 PM
It’s a Duke Basketball group.

chrishoke
10-18-2019, 07:42 PM
It’s a Duke Basketball group.

Can you be a bit more vague?

Furniture
10-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dukebasketball/

someone was sharing live but not sharing anymore. Will be back at 8. Hopefully by then ESPN+ is working.

hsheffield
10-18-2019, 07:47 PM
Sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dukebasketball/

someone was sharing live but not sharing anymore. Will be back at 8. Hopefully by then ESPN+ is working.

I didn't think it was going to be on ESPN+

dukebluesincebirth
10-18-2019, 08:02 PM
8:00. Still standing by....

SCMatt33
10-18-2019, 08:04 PM
8:00. Still standing by...

I just wish they’d make the standby music longer than 8 seconds per loop....

plimnko
10-18-2019, 08:04 PM
scrimmage starts 8:25......according something I read. maybe the coverage won't start until then.

azzefkram
10-18-2019, 08:05 PM
I guess 8ish is the new 7

SCMatt33
10-18-2019, 08:06 PM
scrimmage starts 8:25...according something I read. maybe the coverage won't start until then.

I believe they’ve covered intros and such in the past. It could just be that the early events are running a few minutes late. I imagine time windows aren’t that tight for C2C

mgtr
10-18-2019, 08:07 PM
I think everybody who signed on to using ESPN for CTC should be fired tonight. Hold that thought - something just changed big time. Still hate ESPN.

DangerDevil
I have a feed now

SCMatt33
....and we’re live!

plimnko
10-18-2019, 08:09 PM
we have a commercial

Troublemaker
10-18-2019, 08:13 PM

This was good info, thanks.

I'm watching this thing in an airport and was able to get dinner once I knew it wasn't going to start until after 8.

DukieInKansas
10-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Tyus Jones bringing his mother out for his introduction stole my heart.

Buckmire wishing his dad a happy birthday was a close second.

Chicago 1995
10-18-2019, 08:27 PM
ESPN App not working for me with ATT Uverse, which carries ACCN.

Says something about not working with the app, and that they are working with my provider. GRR

plimnko
10-18-2019, 08:29 PM
I'm on watch espn......see if that works for you

Native
10-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Tre Jones bringing his mother out for his introduction stole my heart.

I think that’s the new category winner right there. Great moment.

Native
10-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Scrimmage just started. Hurt with a quick five points in two minutes and some change so far. Looks very smooth.

White: Tre, Moore, Alex, Hurt, Javin
Blue: Goldwire, Cassius, Baker, Jack, Carey

mattman91
10-18-2019, 08:49 PM
O'Connell looks very solid.

chrishoke
10-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Hurt and Carey look like players who are easy to play with.

DukieInKansas
Does anyone know the story about the young lady that was out for the honorary tip off? The announcers made it sound like they were going down to the floor and there would be an introduction but never heard anything.

BigZ
AOC needs to start bc he and Hurt are the only outside threats

proelitedota
10-18-2019, 09:03 PM
AOC needs to start bc he and Hurt are the only outside threats

Javin too according to Javin.

proelitedota
10-18-2019, 09:10 PM
Vernon is fast.

BlueDevil16
10-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Looks like the recruits went to the Crazies but not sure who is who

rocketeli
10-18-2019, 09:26 PM
not a bunch of huge take aways from this scrimmage--had a feel of an all-star game and first night nerves resulting in not a lot of meaningful ball movement at times and a LOT of jacked up shots out of rhythm of the offense. Carey was the best thing out there tonight, nice finishing moves, good body control and a three. Might need to work on rebounding. Moore didn't do well with outside shots, a couple of nice drives. Hurt hit a three, got more into the inside stuff as the game wore on. Stanley showed his athleticism. Goldwire made the most of what nature has given him as he always does. Robinson had a nice game. O'Connell was opportunistic and showed the benefit of experience. Defense still a work in progress. Tre, Jack, Javin, Joey nothing special on display tonight. K looked nice and rested.

Native
10-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Tre, Hurt, and Carey are locks for the starting lineup, IMO. I could see AOC and one of Jack/Javin filling out the other two spots.

J-Rob could get some burn this year, man.

SkyBrickey
10-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Vernon Carey. I’m a believer. Elton Brand with a jumper? :) Hoping he will be half the rebounder Elton was.

If Tre has improved his jumper, no evidence tonight.

AOC and Hurt and Moore all with solid games.

Expecting those 5 to start.

dukebluesincebirth
10-18-2019, 09:43 PM
Mt. Vernon is a beast. Like the fluid low post moves, and can step out and shoot. I think Hurt showed flashes and will be really good once his role is defined and can settle in. Moore reminds me of Winslow. Not impressed with Tre Jones at all. Javin still brought good energy and bounce, same for Robinson. A work in progress with lots of potential.

SCMatt33
10-18-2019, 10:10 PM
Agree that this looked more all-star game-ish than past blue-white games, though I think that was likely by design. You could see when they ramped up the D in the last two minutes how much the defense is ahead of the offense. Now some of that is probably because these likely aren’t the lineups they’re running in practice as they’re trying to figure out game rotations and the squads we saw tonight were definitely aimed at competitive balance.

All these kids have NBA guys they watch and try to replicate and have a suspicion that Vernon Carey’s guy is Joel Embiid (not a bad person to pick for someone his size), but they way he floats around the top of the key reminds me a lot of how Embiid operates on offense. I’ll also be interested to keep an eye on the motor and conditioning concerns that Spatola talked about. Obviously the split squad meant heavy minutes, but he was breathing heavy by the end of that. My gut says at least early in the season that barring foul trouble concerns and assuming they don’t run “big” lineups with both out there, you’ll see 20-25 minutes from Carey and 15-20 from Javin.

I don’t think Kyle Singler retiring this week was a coincidence either, as I suspect he put on a mask and is playing as Matthew Hurt! All kidding aside, that’s who Hurt reminded of tonight, especially on the offensive end. Whether that’s just in my head because of Singler’s retirement or he looks completely different going forward, who knows. He looked comfortable operating anywhere on the court depending on what his matchup dictated, whether it was low post high post, wing, perimeter. He was everywhere. He doesn’t have the size to go through people, or the speed to blow by them, or the athleticism to finish over the top, but he’s willing to use his length to try and finish around people, and isn’t afraid to get knocked over and go to the line doing so. He looks to have good touch and seemed to be willing to make the proper plays, even if they aren’t fancy.

Hard to really see too much though, when you have a game where Javin feels free to take multiple three pointers. That tells you all you need to know about the tone. I was really hoping to see Tre and Jordan really go at each other defensively, but that’s never what we were going to get, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I know he’s not supposed to be a shooter, so I’m not concerned or anything, but at least one (can’t remember if it was all of em) of Moore’s jumper was so quick and short-armed it looked like a t-rex was shooting the ball

BigZ
10-18-2019, 10:13 PM
I’d start

Jones
O’Connell
Moore
Hurt
Carey

Javin being the first guy off the bench

dukelifer
10-18-2019, 10:42 PM
At the game tonight. Carey is very skilled and plays with confidence. He is going to be excellent. Hurt is also skilled but needs to get stronger. I was impressed with Stanley- great athlete and a decent midrange game. Tre had an awful night but I am not too worried. My biggest concern is that there are no reliable shooters. Maybe AOC - Baker did not look like he was ready to be even Freshman JJ. This will be a fun team to see develop- they could be good on D in time but this team is going to need a shooter if they want to win the league. We will see in a couple weeks when the starters get more minutes together.

Kedsy
10-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Baker did not look like he was ready to be even Freshman JJ.

"Freshman JJ" started 30 games and played 30+ mpg. He was 3rd-team All-ACC (as well as ACC All-Freshman). He led the ACC in three-pointers made and FT%, and scored 15 ppg (9th in ACC). He was 3rd in the ACC in true shooting percentage, 8th in the ACC in win shares, and top 20 in the ACC in FGs made, assists per game, and steals.

Did you really think Joey Baker might be ready to do all that? Seems like an unfairly high bar to me.

Furniture
10-18-2019, 11:04 PM
My eye test told me that Goldmire had a better game than Tre tonight.

sagegrouse
10-18-2019, 11:13 PM
"Freshman JJ" started 30 games and played 30+ mpg. He was 3rd-team All-ACC (as well as ACC All-Freshman). He led the ACC in three-pointers made and FT%, and scored 15 ppg (9th in ACC). He was 3rd in the ACC in true shooting percentage, 8th in the ACC in win shares, and top 20 in the ACC in FGs made, assists per game, and steals.

Did you really think Joey Baker might be ready to do all that? Seems like an unfairly high bar to me.

And he annihilated NC State in the ACC finals. 30 points in 34 minutes.

CDu
10-18-2019, 11:14 PM
The best five players appear to be Carey, Hurt, Jones, Moore, and Stanley. The question is whether a Jones/Stanley/Moore perimeter can shoot enough to play together. But I feel like we need at least two of them on the floor together as much as possible from a talent and playmaking perspective. I could see one of them having to come off the bench (or sub out quickly) to get another shooter out there.

Jones, Carey, and Hurt seem like no-doubt starters. I would guess one of Moore/Stanley would start too, and then it is up for grabs for a shooter.

Really liked what I saw from Carey. His post moves looked really good.

Hurt sure can shoot it, and having Carey and DeLaurier at center should help him not get beaten up inside.

I liked what I saw from Stanley and Moore too. It is just the aforementioned concern that neither is a shooter and neither is Jones. Conversely, none of the shooters on the team appear to offer enough elsewhere to necessarily push one of those guys to the bench.

I was hoping for more from Jones. Didn’t see it tonight, but there is a long way to go yet. Hopefully it was just an off-night.

Looking forward to the season. Clearly a step down in talent from last year, but hopefully we can make up for it with versatility. I am very interested to see how this year’s group is molded.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2019, 11:32 PM
Watching on delay. AOC needs a hair consultation.

SkyBrickey
10-18-2019, 11:38 PM
Stanley has a lot of potential but AOC looked good tonight and should provide better outside shooting. I expect he’ll start early in the year and PT will be based on how the two perform. AOC has also always rebounded his position well. Couldn’t tell from tonight if he’s improved his D but the added muscle should help.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2019, 11:40 PM
Watched the player intros. Gonna root my rear off for the seniors this year. Good group. Wish we had Bolden, but alas.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 07:17 AM

I didn’t even think Freshman JJ would do that. I was hoping to see a more confident shooting stroke from deep and in that sense only I was hoping to see more. Given this is his second year- I am not sure I saw a player ready to be the 40% from three guy the team needs. He can be a solid player. My concern is shooting and I can’t identify the guy you can depend on to knock down shots. Maybe Hurt will be that guy in time.

mgtr
10-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Just looked over the box score. The vets mostly performed to spec, except Jones. Is he ill? I thought he would set the place on fire with assists, but no. Javin performed as expected (which is fine for a first sub), Jack White was aggressive, but still can't hit a three. Goldwire was solid, AOC (our AOC!) looked stronger and better. Performed as I thought he would last year. The frosh, though not runaway all stars like last year, looked good. I would think by January, we may have a very good team, but it may be a rough ride to get there. Just my two cents.

mgtr
10-19-2019, 09:19 AM
I don’t think Kyle Singler retiring this week was a coincidence either, as I suspect he put on a mask and is playing as Matthew Hurt! All kidding aside, that’s who Hurt reminded of tonight, especially on the offensive end. Whether that’s just in my head because of Singler’s retirement or he looks completely different going forward, who knows. He looked comfortable operating anywhere on the court depending on what his matchup dictated, whether it was low post high post, wing, perimeter. He was everywhere. He doesn’t have the size to go through people, or the speed to blow by them, or the athleticism to finish over the top, but he’s willing to use his length to try and finish around people, and isn’t afraid to get knocked over and go to the line doing so. He looks to have good touch and seemed to be willing to make the proper plays, even if they aren’t fancy.

This is a killer point. If Hurt contributes even 50% of what Singler did, he will be great, and we will have a fabulous team. I continue to think that the the three esses (Singler, Scheyer, and Smith) were maybe the best trio Duke ever fielded (well, they won a natty -- not too shabby).

LasVegas
10-19-2019, 09:46 AM
This is a killer point. If Hurt contributes even 50% of what Singler did, he will be great, and we will have a fabulous team. I continue to think that the the three esses (Singler, Scheyer, and Smith) were maybe the best trio Duke ever fielded (well, they won a natty -- not too shabby).

Woah. That’s one of my favorite duke teams ever but Hurley, Laettner, and Hill would gobble them up.

ChillinDuke
10-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Just looked over the box score. The vets mostly performed to spec, except Jones. Is he ill? I thought he would set the place on fire with assists, but no. Javin performed as expected (which is fine for a first sub), Jack White was aggressive, but still can't hit a three. Goldwire was solid, AOC (our AOC!) looked stronger and better. Performed as I thought he would last year. The frosh, though not runaway all stars like last year, looked good. I would think by January, we may have a very good team, but it may be a rough ride to get there. Just my two cents.

Tre just looked sped up, to my eye. I think he was amped to get this show on the road and just was a hair off all night. His quickness was obvious and he looked like one of the best players on the floor in terms of skill. He just didn't play very well.

I think he will be fine. But will see.

- Chillin

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Tre just looked sped up, to my eye. I think he was amped to get this show on the road and just was a hair off all night. His quickness was obvious and he looked like one of the best players on the floor in terms of skill. He just didn't play very well.

I think he will be fine. But will see.

- Chillin

I agree - but he got stuffed several times near the basket. He had a bad game- but maybe he was mentally prepared to be too unselfish and that hurt him. For Duke to have any chance, Jones needs to be great.

Billy Dat
10-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Tre just looked sped up, to my eye. I think he was amped to get this show on the road and just was a hair off all night."

The hair was off, I have to get used to his longer locks.

I was pleasantly surprised by Vernon...Javin looked tiny next to him and not only does he have great touch, I was very impressed by his passing.

Stanley was another great surprise, to me he showed really nice feel.

The "flatness" in talent on this team may actually test the K small rotation axiom. No one really stood out as a star.

It was fun to see these guys on the court...my thirst only increases...looking forward to the exhibition games.

Duke79UNLV77
10-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Watching on delay. AOC needs a hair consultation.

If you don’t like AOC’s hair, wait a week. It will change.

6th Man
10-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Was thinking last night that Matthew Hurt reminded me a lot of Ryan Kelly.

Messimorgan17
10-19-2019, 12:45 PM
I missed ccc last night. I was at the knocks pelicans exhibition game. Is there a way to catch ccc today.

Thanks.

SouthernDukie
10-19-2019, 01:17 PM
I missed ccc last night. I was at the knocks pelicans exhibition game. Is there a way to catch ccc today.

Hey, I know Zion was injured last night but let’s not knock the Pelicans just yet. ;)

Messimorgan17
10-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Hey, I know Zion was injured last night but let’s not knock the Pelicans just yet. ;)

I was referring to the Knicks. I have become a pelicans fan although RJ looked great and the fans were most enthused for his pregame introduction and his play during the game.
I think a lot of fans were disappointed that Zion couldn’t play but it was still fun just the same. There might have been more energy in the building though if he played.
It was great to see so many members of the “brotherhood” play at the same time.

UrinalCake
10-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Looks like almost the complete opposite of last year’s team. Our two best scorers are going to be Hurt and Carey at the 4/5. But we don’t have wings or guards who can create anything for themselves. Definitely agree with the assessment that the team is balanced and doesn’t have superstars who have separated themselves. Javin reminded me of Amile, all over the place defensively and brought great energy.

Spatola was announcing and made some interesting comments. He said that Carey looked much better in this scrimmage than he has in practice. Also said several times that his motor would be the question - he phrased it as “if Carey can bring consistent effort, there’s no limit on his ceiling.” I had never heard any concerns about his motor so I wasn’t sure where that was coming from.

If I had to choose a best intro dancer, I would do so reluctantly. But I would go with Savarino, in a mild surprise. Most of them were kind of painful to watch.

Glad the season is finally here!

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Looks like almost the complete opposite of last year’s team. Our two best scorers are going to be Hurt and Carey at the 4/5. But we don’t have wings or guards who can create anything for themselves. Definitely agree with the assessment that the team is balanced and doesn’t have superstars who have separated themselves. Javin reminded me of Amile, all over the place defensively and brought great energy.

Spatola was announcing and made some interesting comments. He said that Carey looked much better in this scrimmage than he has in practice. Also said several times that his motor would be the question - he phrased it as “if Carey can bring consistent effort, there’s no limit on his ceiling.” I had never heard any concerns about his motor so I wasn’t sure where that was coming from.

If I had to choose a best intro dancer, I would do so reluctantly. But I would go with Savarino, in a mild surprise. Most of them were kind of painful to watch.

Glad the season is finally here!

I am sure we saw one of Carey better games but like most Frosh - he will have off games. Not sure I agree that there are no wings that can create. Stanley looks capable and Moore has potential. I also think AOC can create. Yes none are as good as Barrett or Tatum or Allen - it is all relative- but those are the guys.

jipops
10-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Just watched the replay. Appears that Carey and Hurt are the 2 best offensive talents. I really did like how AOC looked though still have no idea if he is capable of being a factor on defense. Reverse is the case for Moore who doesn’t appear to be able to shoot a lick but had some nice sequences defending off the ball. Looks like he is strong enough to get to the rim as well as mix it up inside. Tre is never going to be a shooter and I doubt his shot has gotten that much better in only one years’ time. I don’t see him being 1st team ACC but his defense should make him a major factor.

Back to Carey...really liked his foot work. He’s strong and smooth with a nice touch around the rim. Jury is still out of course on whether or not he can defend at this level. Same with Hurt.

There are some interesting pieces here but I have a hard time believing this is the best team in the ACC. Maybe 3rd or even 2nd but not the best. This group has a lot of potential but it’s going to be up and down. Right now our best offensive players may lack a good bit defensively and what appear to be our best defensive players (Jones, Delaurier, Moore) can’t shoot. It should be interesting to see the kind of lineups K goes with. I’m sure he would love to have Hurt and Carey out there together as Matt looks like the ideal stretch 4.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Just watched the replay. Appears that Carey and Hurt are the 2 best offensive talents. I really did like how AOC looked though still have no idea if he is capable of being a factor on defense. Reverse is the case for Moore who doesn’t appear to be able to shoot a lick but had some nice sequences defending off the ball. Looks like he is strong enough to get to the rim as well as mix it up inside. Tre is never going to be a shooter and I doubt his shot has gotten that much better in only one years’ time. I don’t see him being 1st team ACC but his defense should make him a major factor.

Back to Carey...really liked his foot work. He’s strong and smooth with a nice touch around the rim. Jury is still out of course on whether or not he can defend at this level. Same with Hurt.

There are some interesting pieces here but I have a hard time believing this is the best team in the ACC. Maybe 3rd or even 2nd but not the best. This group has a lot of potential but it’s going to be up and down. Right now our best offensive players may lack a good bit defensively and what appear to be our best defensive players (Jones, Delaurier, Moore) can’t shoot. It should be interesting to see the kind of lineups K goes with. I’m sure he would love to have Hurt and Carey out there together as Matt looks like the ideal stretch 4.

Yes- hard to believe this is the best team unless Tre can score 20 a game with 6 assists. The team has potential and should get better but they are not a team yet and it is hard to believe the rest of the league is in a similar state

mo.st.dukie
10-19-2019, 10:49 PM
Yes- hard to believe this is the best team unless Tre can score 20 a game with 6 assists. The team has potential and should get better but they are not a team yet and it is hard to believe the rest of the league is in a similar state

The rest of the league is in a similar state. They mentioned on the broadcast that there are only 2 returning All-ACC players. The league is wide open this year and there is a lot of roster turnover from last year resulting in a lot of question marks for each team. Tre does not need to score 20 a game. If he can just finish layups and hit an open three every now and then that would be good but we have enough scorers that we don't need him to suddenly morph into a scoring PG in order for us to be the best team in the ACC and the nation. This team will be about defense first.

SkyBrickey
10-19-2019, 11:13 PM

My takeaway is a little different after watching last night's game. I think because the two teams were so deep and balanced, there weren't dominant individual performances like we're used to seeing at C2C - although Carey came close.

I thought both teams looked sharp with their passing and shot selection at this point in the season vs years past. The white team just missed a lot of open looks from 3.

After what I saw from Carey and Hurt, and knowing what we have in Tre Jones, I'm comfortable with our #1 ACC pick. It's still less clear to me what we'll get out of AOC, Moore, Stanley and Baker at the 2/3, but those are four great pieces to work with and I know the coaches will sort it out. The depth at all positions gives us the potential to be a tremendous defensive team.

mgtr
10-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Woah. That’s one of my favorite duke teams ever but Hurley, Laettner, and Hill would gobble them up.

I agree. I jumped one man too far!

dukelifer
10-20-2019, 09:12 AM
The rest of the league is in a similar state. They mentioned on the broadcast that there are only 2 returning All-ACC players. The league is wide open this year and there is a lot of roster turnover from last year resulting in a lot of question marks for each team. Tre does not need to score 20 a game. If he can just finish layups and hit an open three every now and then that would be good but we have enough scorers that we don't need him to suddenly morph into a scoring PG in order for us to be the best team in the ACC and the nation. This team will be about defense first.

I don’t deny this team has talent- but they have not played a game as a unit and history has told us that defense is not easy to learn during the season. Give this group a year- and they will be solid. But it is hard to gel in a year. So I hope you are right and the Freshman are quick learners on D- but I will have to see to believe.

jipops
10-20-2019, 04:01 PM

I don’t think it all rests with Tre. Javin is the only experienced ACC level defender around the paint (I guess White fills in there at times). So hopefully he cuts way down on his foul rate this season. If not, then most other teams could very well have their way scoring on this team around the basket.

It was only a first glance so maybe it’s a cheap look, but if this is the best ACC team then the conference is not very top heavy. Plus, we haven’t won an ACC regular season crown in 9 years so seems like it could be a longshot for this group to pull it off. But there is still a lot more clarity to be had.

dukelifer
10-20-2019, 07:08 PM
I don’t think it all rests with Tre. Javin is the only experienced ACC level defender around the paint (I guess White fills in there at times). So hopefully he cuts way down on his foul rate this season. If not, then most other teams could very well have their way scoring on this team around the basket.

It was only a first glance so maybe it’s a cheap look, but if this is the best ACC team then the conference is not very top heavy. Plus, we haven’t won an ACC regular season crown in 9 years so seems like it could be a longshot for this group to pull it off. But there is still a lot more clarity to be had.

We will see who emerges as the "go-to" guy. I picked on Tre because he will have the ball in his hands and teams will dare him to shoot. It is too early, though. Need to watch them play a game or two to see how the starters gel. There are several very skilled players on team- skilled but inexperienced- and I think Moore will get better as the year goes on- but I like to have reliable shooters or experienced players on a Duke team- and there may not be enough of either here. Time will tell- expectations are moderate.

Billy Dat
10-21-2019, 11:20 AM
By the way, big thumbs down on the coaches shirts at CTC. If I wanted to look at a priest, I'd watch "Fleabag - Season 2".

Troublemaker
10-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Are we doing a minutes contest this year? If we are, I'd like to see the deadline for entries be an hour before Saturday's exhibition against NW Missouri St. Once you see the starting lineup on Saturday, it's sort of like getting the answers before the test. (Even if the starters can change down the line, you're still reducing the variability of entries; the goal should be to get a wide range of answers, imo.)

Troublemaker
10-21-2019, 02:42 PM
BTW, no love for Justin Robinson in this thread? I saw him block Tre twice and Wendell once (although one of those blocks seems to have gone uncredited), and obviously he was singled out for praise by both Coach K and apparently Cwell (as relayed to us by Spatola during the broadcast) for playing well recently. I've always been intrigued by JRob since he can shoot threes and block shots -- sort of like a (former) walk-on unicorn. I don't know how seriously to take his chances of cracking the rotation, though. If he does, it could swing the minutes contest and also just make me happy since I'm a fan.

Also, I believe one of the very first DBR podcasts (maybe THE first?) featured JRob as a guest and he said (paraphrasing) the goal was to be in the rotation by his final season, and the coaches believed he could do it. JRob would be making good on that if I'm remembering correctly.

jipops
10-21-2019, 03:29 PM
BTW, no love for Justin Robinson in this thread? I saw him block Tre twice and Wendell once (although one of those blocks seems to have gone uncredited), and obviously he was singled out for praise by both Coach K and apparently Cwell (as relayed to us by Spatola during the broadcast) for playing well recently. I've always been intrigued by JRob since he can shoot threes and block shots -- sort of like a (former) walk-on unicorn. I don't know how seriously to take his chances of cracking the rotation, though. If he does, it could swing the minutes contest and also just make me happy since I'm a fan.

Also, I believe one of the very first DBR podcasts (maybe THE first?) featured JRob as a guest and he said (paraphrasing) the goal was to be in the rotation by his final season, and the coaches believed he could do it. JRob would be making good on that if I'm remembering correctly.

I think he got the Nick Horvath award.

YmoBeThere
10-21-2019, 03:56 PM
I thought C2C meant something else...