PDA

View Full Version : last week in NOLA

hsheffield
10-14-2019, 06:15 PM
visited New Orleans last week and got a chance to speak to many natives (mostly Lyft drivers:rolleyes:) and came away with the following impressions:

1. they don't care much about the Pelicans
2. they care a LOT about the Saints
3. they only vaguely know who Zion Williamson is (his 20 ft likeness projected outside the Superdome may help)
4. they have no clue that a large chunk of their team comes from Duke
5. there were an alarming number of Kentucky bball fans

turns out that Brandon Ingram lives in the hotel I stayed in-I saw him in the lobby and called his name. got a quick head turn then a bolt out the front door with his entourage.

never knew I could so easily scare off a 6'9" man....btw, he really is that skinny in person.

CameronBornAndBred
10-16-2019, 12:26 PM
visited New Orleans last week and got a chance to speak to many natives (mostly Lyft drivers:rolleyes:) and came away with the following impressions:

Hard to care about a team that has only been to the playoffs once. (And got swept out.)

HereBeforeCoachK
10-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Hard to care about a team that has only been to the playoffs once. (And got swept out.)

Zion will change everything in New Orleans. He changed everything about Duke nationally, to a degree.

JimBD
10-16-2019, 02:23 PM

3. they only vaguely know who Zion Williamson is (his 20 ft likeness projected outside the Superdome may help)

turns out that Brandon Ingram lives in the hotel I stayed in-I saw him in the lobby and called his name. got a quick head turn then a bolt out the front door with his entourage.

never knew I could so easily scare off a 6'9" man...btw, he really is that skinny in person.

I live in the New Orleans area. A Pelicans practice which was open to the public drew over 10,000 fans. The Pelicans only home preseason game was sold out. Preseason ticket sales are by far at the highest level ever. Zion Williamson has made a huge impression in New Orleans, not only for his basketball skills, but also for his numerous appearances at charitable and civic events, and just showing up at numerous playgrounds and interacting with kids. He has stated numerous times his love for New Orleans and that love is being returned to him. This is by far the most enthusiasm for basketball I have ever seen in the New Orleans area.

AZLA
10-16-2019, 03:47 PM

never knew I could so easily scare off a 6'9" man...btw, he really is that skinny in person.

Unibrow didn't care much for the Pelicans either and that definitely rubbed off. But change is in motion. There's a new generation in town and even if only the Uber drivers know it (and not Lyft drivers ;), the city knows it to the tune of record season ticket sales (https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_ac448252-df15-11e9-9681-2f253a5dbb1d.html), even before Zion's pre-season showing: 'It's phenomenal': Pelicans sell 12,000-plus season tickets for Zion's rookie season.

Even opening night, probably for the first time in NBA history (I'm guessing), they're featuring the Pelicans as the feature game!

When does the NBA season start?
The 2019-20 campaign will tip off Tuesday, Oct. 22 on TNT with marquee matchups featuring the Pelicans, Raptors, Lakers and Clippers (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-season-start-opening-night-schedule/1utcx1kgpcyby1nff0c9xta2od). No. 1 overall pick Zion Williamson will make his regular-season debut against the defending champs in the early game (8 p.m. ET), and the Clippers' new dynamic duo of Paul George and Kawhi Leonard will challenge Lakers stars LeBron James and Anthony Davis in the battle for Los Angeles (10:30 p.m. ET).

Also, you have to look at the real power of media today and that's social. Last March he was at 2.5 million followers. He's already up to 4.5 million today, BEFORE the season even starts. Curry is at under 27 million and Lebron is at +50 million. I guarantee that the kids in New Orleans are all hyped about Zion.

CameronBornAndBred
10-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Zion will change everything in New Orleans. He changed everything about Duke nationally, to a degree.

I vote that they come back home to Charlotte and trade places with the current Hornets.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-16-2019, 05:21 PM
I vote that they come back home to Charlotte and trade places with the current Hornets.

Brings a lot of players closer to home...

BD80
10-16-2019, 07:10 PM

Well, if they can't have the Jazz name in New Orleans, might as well have "Horn-ettes."

DrChainsaw
10-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Well, I live in Rhode Island and haven't been to New Orleans for a long time, so I don't know nuthin'.

But I still like Zion....

😁

jv001
10-17-2019, 10:28 AM

As long as MJ has nothing to do with the team, I'm all in. GoDuke!

westwall
10-17-2019, 10:36 AM

And owners too?

HereBeforeCoachK
10-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Count me in on that

AGDukesky
10-17-2019, 10:59 AM
I had not really thought much about it before, but Pelicans might be the worst professional sports team name...

At least the Nippon Ham Fighters were named after the company “Nippon Ham”

CameronBornAndBred
10-17-2019, 11:12 AM
I had not really thought much about it before, but Pelicans might be the worst professional sports team name...

There's always "Tarheels" to compete with.

sagegrouse
10-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Euphonically or symbolically? Odd century-old names that would never be chosen today: Packers, Redskins (87 years), Dodgers, Phillies, Browns (70 years), and Reds. Also, for other reasons, "Indians" and "Braves" would probably not be selected today -- although not nearly as obnoxious as "Redskins."

And how wonderful are recent names like "Diamondbacks" and "Trail Blazers?"

I like Pelicans -- and, at least, coastal Louisiana has a gazillion.

AGDukesky
10-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Euphonically or symbolically? Odd century-old names that would never be chosen today: Packers, Redskins (87 years), Dodgers, Phillies, Browns (70 years), and Reds. Also, for other reasons, "Indians" and "Braves" would probably not be selected today -- although not nearly as obnoxious as "Redskins."

And how wonderful are recent names like "Diamondbacks" and "Trail Blazers?"

I like Pelicans -- and, at least, coastal Louisiana has a gazillion.

A bit of both but probably more euphonically. Still, Pelicans just don’t seem like something that inspires aggression and rallying behind a team...

budwom
10-17-2019, 12:27 PM

I don't think N.O. can hold a candle to the Utah Jazz...that's just a parody right there...

JayZee
10-17-2019, 12:28 PM
A bit of both but probably more euphonically. Still, Pelicans just don’t seem like something that inspires aggression and rallying behind a team...

Pelicans - we can soar over your head AND take all your fish...

JayZee
10-17-2019, 12:31 PM
I don't think N.O. can hold a candle to the Utah Jazz...that's just a parody right there...

Incongruous for sure! Plus, they have good options. Utah Powder. Utah Salt Flats. Utah Tabernacles.

AGDukesky
10-17-2019, 12:32 PM

What, you can’t get jazzed for the Jazz?

CameronBornAndBred
10-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Does have a better ring to it than the Choir Singers.

BD80
10-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Pelicans - we can soar over your head AND take all your fish...

All of your fishes belong to us ...

BD80
10-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Incongruous for sure! Plus, they have good options. Utah Powder. Utah Salt Flats. Utah Tabernacles.

Does have a better ring to it than the Choir Singers.

It amuses me that the Jazz owner(s) have so egregiously held onto a name that truly belongs in The Big Easy and has NO place in Utah ('cause Jazz could lead to dancing!).

Indoor66
10-17-2019, 01:31 PM
I believe dancing was a Baptist issue, not a Morman issue.

budwom
10-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Ironically (vis-a-vis the New Orleans link) an appropriate, LDS friendly name would be Saints. How 'bout that?

BD80
10-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Sigh. Yes. But if you're shooting for ignorance … Close enough for the sake of humour

Indoor66
10-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Sigh. Yes. But if you're shooting for ignorance … Close enough for the sake of humour

Or intolerance.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-17-2019, 03:23 PM

...and iced T big with Baptists, not allowed (or used to be) with Mormons...

BD80
10-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Or intolerance.

MY supposed ignorance. Thus the: 'cause. And the joke. Damn it's hard aiming around the penumbra of political correctness and humanity's fondness for judging others.

Wouldn't you think people on this board deserve a least a small benefit of the doubt?

JetpackJesus
10-17-2019, 05:40 PM

You guys ever see a flock of pelicans flying together in perfect formation? It's beautiful. Pretty awesome they way they all stick together. Pelicans never say die. Ever see a pelican fight? No way. Why? Because the other animals are afraid. They know that if they mess with one pelican, they gotta deal with the whole flock...

elvis14
10-18-2019, 01:36 PM
You guys ever see a flock of pelicans flying together in perfect formation? It's beautiful. Pretty awesome they way they all stick together. Pelicans never say die. Ever see a pelican fight? No way. Why? Because the other animals are afraid. They know that if they mess with one pelican, they gotta deal with the whole flock...

Maybe they should have taken a page out the Notre Dame's playbook and called themselves the Fighting Pelicans!

JayZee
10-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Ever see a pelican "surf"? It's pretty cool. They surf the air pressure in front of good surfing waves. Possible better surfers than dolphins. Not that it has anything to do with basketball team naming...

JetpackJesus
10-18-2019, 09:50 PM
Maybe they should have taken a page out the Notre Dame's playbook and called themselves the Fighting Pelicans!
Gordon Bombay made it work for the Ducks, after all.

CameronBornAndBred
10-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Tip o' the hat to TNTdevil for finding this gem from The Argyle Sweater.