PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke at Virginia, 3:30 pm ACCN

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Green
10-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Early odds in Vegas have Duke as a 4 points underdog with the Over/Under at 44 points. Sagarin ratings have Duke at 42 and Virginia at 38. ESPN Football Power Index gives Virginia a 58.4% chance to win.

A key for Duke will be pressuring and containing QB Bryce Perkins. It isn't enough to pressure him, the defense needs to keep him hemmed in. He killed us with his legs last year.

On offense, we need to achieve balance by successfully running the ball. Virginia has a tough run defense, yielding a measly 90 yards per game so they will try to make us one dimensional.

This is a big road game with the victor staying atop the Coastal Division standings.

arnie
10-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Early odds in Vegas have Duke as a 4 points underdog with the Over/Under at 44 points. Sagarin ratings have Duke at 42 and Virginia at 38. ESPN Football Power Index gives Virginia a 58.4% chance to win.

A key for Duke will be pressuring and containing QB Bryce Perkins. It isn't enough to pressure him, the defense needs to keep him hemmed in. He killed us with his legs last year.

On offense, we need to achieve balance by successfully running the ball. Virginia has a tough run defense, yielding a measly 90 yards per game so they will try to make us one dimensional.

This is a big road game with the victor staying atop the Coastal Division standings.

Saw that line and pleasantly surprised it's that low at UVA. Vegas must believe we can slow down Perkins as I doubt we score more than mid 20s against their D.

Sweeping the next two games would be HUGE.

Reilly
10-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Early odds in Vegas have Duke as a 4 points underdog with the Over/Under at 44 points. Sagarin ratings have Duke at 42 and Virginia at 38. ESPN Football Power Index gives Virginia a 58.4% chance to win ...

Per the SRS, #35 Duke is 2.84 points better than #46 Virginia on a neutral field, making UVA maybe 1 point better at home. No matter how it's sliced -- Virginia #38 or #46; Duke #35 or #42; spread of 1 point, 3 points, 4 points -- these are two evenly matched teams based on performance to date, and a big day on what the weather app says, for now, will be a sunny, 69-degree day in
Charlottesville -- just a glorious fall day.

Reilly
10-14-2019, 10:14 AM
ACC Coastal race

VA 2-1 ... DU, @LV, @NC, GT, VT
Duke 2-1 ... @VA, @NC, SU, @WF, UM
NC 2-1 ... @VT, DU, VA, @PT, @ST
--------------------------------------------------------------
PT 1-1 ... @SU, UM, @GT, NC, @VT, BC
UM 1-2 ... GT, @PT, @FS, LV, @DU
VT 1-2 ... NC, WF, @GT, PT, @VA
GT 0-3 ... @UM, PT, @VA, VT, ST

Saturday at 3:30 pm will be a fun time -- with Duke @ UVa and UNC @ VT. And we will have Pitt's updated record after it plays Syr Friday night.

sagegrouse
10-14-2019, 11:48 AM
ACC Coastal race

Saturday at 3:30 pm will be a fun time -- with Duke @ UVa and UNC @ VT. And we will have Pitt's updated record after it plays Syr Friday night.

Is Syracuse ever allowed to play on Saturday?

Devilwin
10-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Pivotal game in the Coastal.. Need it bad..UVA 31, Duke 24..Sorry, hope I am wrong.:(

cato
10-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Pivotal game in the Coastal.. Need it bad..UVA 31, Duke 24..Sorry, hope I am wrong.:(

Come on Devilwin — time to embrace your handle!

Reilly
10-14-2019, 06:23 PM
2012: start 5-1 ... finish 6-7 -- 68th in the country (per the SRS)
2013: start 4-2 ... finish 10-4 -- 31st in the country
2014: start 5-1 ... finish 9-4 -- 40th in the country
2015: start 5-1 ... finish 8-5 -- 57th in the country
2016: start 3-3 ... finish 5-8 -- 77th in the country
2017: start 4-2 ... finish 7-6 -- 37th in the country
2018: start 4-2 ... finish 8-5 -- 41st in the country
2019: start 4-2 ... finish ??-? -- currently 35th in the country

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/2019-schedule.html

It's been a fun, successful year to date and hopefully will continue to be so.

brevity
10-14-2019, 07:03 PM

I applaud your use of double-digit question marks in the win column. It’s like theoretical optimism.

MarkD83
10-14-2019, 07:09 PM
ACC Coastal race

Something is not quite right since unc already has 2 losses - Wake and Clemson.

chrishoke
10-14-2019, 07:17 PM
The WF -UNC game was not counted as a conference game

brevity
10-14-2019, 07:22 PM
ACC Coastal race

Something is not quite right since unc already has 2 losses - Wake and Clemson.

Direct your complaints to John Swofford. (ESPN: Wake Forest beats North Carolina 24-18 in nonconference game (https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401112448))

That said, I am mildly surprised that the Clemson loss counts in the Coastal Division standings. UNC is 2-0 so far against the other 6 teams in the division.

ETA: While I'm here, ESPN also reports that Virginia cornerback Bryce Hall has ankle surgery, out for season (https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27845521/virginia-cornerback-bryce-hall-ankle-surgery-season).

Reilly
10-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Virginia

+35 W&M
+16 @Pitt
+11 ODU
+07 FSU
----------------
-08 @Miami
-15 @ND

Duke

+35 @VT
+32 NCA&T
+23 @MTSU
+18 GT
-----------------------
-03 Pitt
-39 (N)Bama

roywhite
10-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Are we at the point in the season where injuries accumulate and weaken our defense?

devildeac
10-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Are we at the point in the season where injuries accumulate and weaken our defense?

The only ones I remember from Saturday are Singleton and Cerenord with Singleton appearing to walk off the field fairly comfortably and Cerenord looking a bit gimpy.

sagegrouse
10-14-2019, 11:36 PM

The only ones I remember from Saturday are Singleton and Cerenord with Singleton appearing to walk off the field fairly comfortably and Cerenord looking a bit gimpy.

I think it is wise, given our past record, to win everything we can in October.

Reilly
10-15-2019, 02:37 AM
2012: start 5-1 ... finish 6-7 -- 68th in the country (per the SRS)
2013: start 4-2 ... finish 10-4 -- 31st in the country
2014: start 5-1 ... finish 9-4 -- 40th in the country
2015: start 5-1 ... finish 8-5 -- 57th in the country
2016: start 3-3 ... finish 4-8 -- 77th in the country
2017: start 4-2 ... finish 7-6 -- 37th in the country
2018: start 4-2 ... finish 8-5 -- 41st in the country

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-schedule.html

It's been a fun, successful year to date and hopefully will continue to be so.

Bob Green
10-15-2019, 06:10 AM

Defensive end Tre Hornbuckle did not play in the GT game. Hopefully we receive some team health updates this afternoon when Jim Sumner posts his Tuesday football article after Coach Cutcliffe’s press conference.

Devilwin
10-15-2019, 07:36 AM
Come on Devilwin — time to embrace your handle!

I know. But I don't feel good about this one at all, especially since they lost to the U.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-15-2019, 07:51 AM
I know. But I don't feel good about this one at all, especially since they lost to the U.

For this reason, I was not totally happy to see them lose to the U. Good teams seem to play well off a loss....they play with an extra edge. I'd rather UVa come into the Duke game the same way UGa came into the SC game....kinda half asleep.

That said, I think Duke can be good enough to beat them.

nyesq83
10-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Our team must play 4 quarters well.
We must get an early lead.
I believe we.will win.

jimsumner
10-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Defensive end Tre Hornbuckle did not play in the GT game. Hopefully we receive some team health updates this afternoon when Jim Sumner posts his Tuesday football article after Coach Cutcliffe’s press conference.

Hornbuckle is good to go for Saturday.

devildeac
10-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Great news! Any other injury updates?

jimsumner
10-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Great news! Any other injury updates?

Nope.

As an aside, did you know that one cannot answer just "no?" Not enough letters.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Nope.

Yepp

Devilwin
10-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Trust me. Nothing would make me happier than a Duke win.

devildeac
10-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Nope.

Yessir! Four beer, err, character minimum. ;)

Bob Green
10-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Thanks Jim! We all appreciate the updates you provide.

Reilly
10-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Link to Cut's press conference and game notes are found here: https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/15/football-game-notes-virginia.aspx

Duke notes: https://goduke.com/documents/2019/10/15//Game_Notes_Virginia.pdf?id=19767

Virginia notes: https://goduke.com/documents/2019/10/15//7_Duke_Notes_2019.pdf?id=19768

Bob Green
10-16-2019, 05:25 AM
Jim Sumner article on Duke preparing for Virginia:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/10/15/20915051/duke-football-preps-for-uva-blue-devil-football

Coach Cutcliffe says Duke is prioritizing Virginia QB Bryce Perkins.

budwom
10-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Mendenhall has defended Duke very well since he arrived...not sure how we break that trend...I'll be thrilled and surprised if we leave with a win. I think we'll need a lot more out of our wide receivers than we've been getting...

Avvocato
10-16-2019, 12:27 PM
At the midway point of the season, we sit at 4-2. After playing Alabama in the opener, can't argue with our standing. Yes, we would have liked to have beaten Pittsburgh, but I would have signed up for 4-2 in a heart beat. Looking at the team at the midpoint, a few things are interesting based on preseason question marks:

* Linebackers. Our linebackers have played very well overall. We really questioned them stepping in for Humphreys and Harris, especially how they played at the end of 2018. However, the unit has played well. The defense in general has played well, but a special shout out to the linebacking corp, which was the unknown defensive unit coming into the season.

* Wide Receivers. Another unit that was a big unknown and thought to be the weakness of the team. We have all seen that we have a lot of young talented receivers on this team. In fact, surprisingly, our passing attack has been more reliable than our running attack. Now, against better teams, we are not getting the ball to our receivers quite as much. That's just a combination of inexperience, better defenses and a still evolving Harris. However, even without Bobo making a mark, I am very excited about this group. Plus, three of our 12 recruits for the 2020 class are wide receivers (each over 6 feet tall). Now we just need to find our quarterback for future seasons, but we'll deal with that later.

* AJ Reed. Major props to AJ Reed. His freshman season was a disaster to put it mildly. I wasn't sure he would ever kick again at Duke. Even in the 2018 spring event he was missing kicks. It is so hard for a kicker that develops the yips, or just shanks every kick, to get their confidence back. Look at Aguayo after he left FSU. We also see it in baseball in particular. He not only won the job, but he has been very solid from all distances. The kicks have been pretty true. We haven't seen him have to make a big kick with the lead on the line at the end of the game yet, but who cares. He's going to miss some kicks eventually this year. However, regardless of that, amazing comeback for him and one of the great stories of the team this year. Good for him.

* Running game. Coming into the season, our running game was supposed to be our strength while QH and wide receivers found themselves. Not sure if it's because people are trying to take aware our running attack and dare us to beat them through the air, whether it's some inexperience in the line, or injuries, but other than a few brief periods of time, we have not been running well consistently. And if we are running, it's usually QH leading the way. Brown's injuries play a part. Durant has played well and good for him. Jackson has not really been as much of a consistent factor impacting the game as I expected, though again, defenses are probably keying on him. I think a lot of our success down the stretch this season may ride on our ability to start running more consistently. It will also help our passing attack against better teams.

* Harris. He's done the job. I was definitely one of the people not sure what we were going to get, and I was concerned. He's looked like a P5 starting quarterback. Not much for me to say, but he's done what we needed. He really looks like he is the leader of the offense and in control. I'm not going to overstate his performance, but I can't argue or complain. He's smallish and didn't have much experience before this season, and is throwing to mainly first and second year players. He's actually played better than I expected, and if we are going to make a run at the Coastal, he'll be the one to lead us there (as it is with most quarterbacks).

With that said, big game on Saturday (aren't they all at this point?). Like most of our games, definitely a winnable game. I don't want to make a prediction, because I won't like my prediction. The key, as others have said, is containing Perkins. Last year, he beat contain and kept drives alive with his legs. We couldn't get our defense off the field last year. I recall them having long drives making all of these third down plays to keep drives alive, and nickle and diming their way to scores. If we can keep him in the box and make him have to throw from the pocket for first downs, I think we have a chance. I think offensively, Harris's ability to run will be the key. I get concerned by our lack of consistent running to help our passing. I think Harris's ability has been opening things up. He'll need to be successful at running and converting broken plays to beat UVa's pass rush.

The big X factor is whether Virginia's loss to Miami is a motivator for them or a sign that they are vulnerable. I fear the former but am praying for the latter. In any case, I think this is a fourth quarter game. We may need to see Harris have to drive us down the field late fourth quarter on the road and possibly see Reed make a pressure late game kick. I would love to see both (for a win).

As always, let's go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-16-2019, 12:30 PM
At the midway point of the season, we sit at 4-2. After playing Alabama in the opener, can't argue with our standing. Yes, we would have liked to have beaten Pittsburgh, but I would have signed up for 4-2 in a heart beat. Looking at the team at the midpoint, a few things are interesting based on preseason question marks:

* Linebackers. Our linebackers have played very well overall. We really questioned them stepping in for Humphreys and Harris, especially how they played at the end of 2018. However, the unit has played well. The defense in general has played well, but a special shout out to the linebacking corp, which was the unknown defensive unit coming into the season.

* Wide Receivers. Another unit that was a big unknown and thought to be the weakness of the team. We have all seen that we have a lot of young talented receivers on this team. In fact, surprisingly, our passing attack has been more reliable than our running attack. Now, against better teams, we are not getting the ball to our receivers quite as much. That's just a combination of inexperience, better defenses and a still evolving Harris. However, even without Bobo making a mark, I am very excited about this group. Plus, three of our 12 recruits for the 2020 class are wide receivers (each over 6 feet tall). Now we just need to find our quarterback for future seasons, but we'll deal with that later.

* AJ Reed. Major props to AJ Reed. His freshman season was a disaster to put it mildly. I wasn't sure he would ever kick again at Duke. Even in the 2018 spring event he was missing kicks. It is so hard for a kicker that develops the yips, or just shanks every kick, to get their confidence back. Look at Aguayo after he left FSU. We also see it in baseball in particular. He not only won the job, but he has been very solid from all distances. The kicks have been pretty true. We haven't seen him have to make a big kick with the lead on the line at the end of the game yet, but who cares. He's going to miss some kicks eventually this year. However, regardless of that, amazing comeback for him and one of the great stories of the team this year. Good for him.

* Running game. Coming into the season, our running game was supposed to be our strength while QH and wide receivers found themselves. Not sure if it's because people are trying to take aware our running attack and dare us to beat them through the air, whether it's some inexperience in the line, or injuries, but other than a few brief periods of time, we have not been running well consistently. And if we are running, it's usually QH leading the way. Brown's injuries play a part. Durant has played well and good for him. Jackson has not really been as much of a consistent factor impacting the game as I expected, though again, defenses are probably keying on him. I think a lot of our success down the stretch this season may ride on our ability to start running more consistently. It will also help our passing attack against better teams.

* Harris. He's done the job. I was definitely one of the people not sure what we were going to get, and I was concerned. He's looked like a P5 starting quarterback. Not much for me to say, but he's done what we needed. He really looks like he is the leader of the offense and in control. I'm not going to overstate his performance, but I can't argue or complain. He's smallish and didn't have much experience before this season, and is throwing to mainly first and second year players. He's actually played better than I expected, and if we are going to make a run at the Coastal, he'll be the one to lead us there (as it is with most quarterbacks).

With that said, big game on Saturday (aren't they all at this point?). Like most of our games, definitely a winnable game. I don't want to make a prediction, because I won't like my prediction. The key, as others have said, is containing Perkins. Last year, he beat contain and kept drives alive with his legs. We couldn't get our defense off the field last year. I recall them having long drives making all of these third down plays to keep drives alive, and nickle and diming their way to scores. If we can keep him in the box and make him have to throw from the pocket for first downs, I think we have a chance. I think offensively, Harris's ability to run will be the key. I get concerned by our lack of consistent running to help our passing. I think Harris's ability has been opening things up. He'll need to be successful at running and converting broken plays to beat UVa's pass rush.

The big X factor is whether Virginia's loss to Miami is a motivator for them or a sign that they are vulnerable. I fear the former but am praying for the latter. In any case, I think this is a fourth quarter game. We may need to see Harris have to drive us down the field late fourth quarter on the road and possibly see Reed make a pressure late game kick. I would love to see both (for a win).

As always, let's go Duke!

Next two weeks are crucial. Two wins would make us bowl eligible. A split would be acceptable. Two losses would spell disaster.

Reilly
10-16-2019, 04:30 PM
... Two losses would spell disaster.

Two Ls certainly not are not desirable. I wouldn't characterize it as a disaster. We are underdogs in both games. We'd be at 4-4, and are currently favored over Syracuse and Miami (per the espn power index thingy) so we'd still be on track for 6 wins hopefully.

OldPhiKap
10-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Next two weeks are crucial. Two wins would make us bowl eligible. A split would be acceptable. Two losses would spell disaster.

I read this to mean that we must beat the Tar Heels, and the other game is gravy if we get it.

Bob Green
10-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Steve Wiseman on the defensive line:

https://amp.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article236238178.html?__twitter_impression=true

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-16-2019, 05:46 PM
Two Ls certainly not are not desirable. I wouldn't characterize it as a disaster. We are underdogs in both games. We'd be at 4-4, and are currently favored over Syracuse and Miami (per the espn power index thingy) so we'd still be on track for 6 wins hopefully.

Yes, but the feel of 6-2 against Notre Dame is very different than 4-4 on a losing streak.

Reilly
10-16-2019, 09:19 PM
Yes, but the feel of 6-2 against Notre Dame is very different than 4-4 on a losing streak.

I agree those will feel differently. There's about a 16% chance we'll be 6-2, a 48% chance we'll be 5-3, and a 36% chance we'll be 4-4, per current win projections. So, a 64% chance of something that will seem semi-OK (5-3 or 6-2). And even if 4-4 comes, we'll keep working, fight like hell against ND (and all others) and still represent Duke well (and hopefully bowl).

duke2x
10-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Ball security and associated easy points have been a major problem against them during this losing streak. No stunning insight here, but good OL play and decision making will go a long way to prevent UVA from earning points like a UNC final exam.

Our defense really needs to sustain intensity for 4 quarters. We aren't going to get a 3-4 TD lead like we had against GT and VT. This game sets up more like Pitt without the TOs: 17-10 (with hopefully a Duke win).

I hope we're up for the challenge. The 3:30 start makes an easy boomerang day trip for those in NC and DC. It's an easier in/out than UNC. :p

budwom
10-17-2019, 09:00 AM
I agree those will feel differently. There's about a 16% chance we'll be 6-2, a 48% chance we'll be 5-3, and a 36% chance we'll be 4-4, per current win projections. So, a 64% chance of something that will seem semi-OK (5-3 or 6-2). And even if 4-4 comes, we'll keep working, fight like hell against ND (and all others) and still represent Duke well (and hopefully bowl).

I'd be happy with five wins going into the ND game I suppose (though if we win vs UVA I'll get greedy and demand six). I still think getting to a bowl this year will be an achievement, but we definitely have an opportunity....we need the offense to get going early at UVA, can't afford another three quarters of sleepwalking like last week...

jv001
10-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Ball security and associated easy points have been a major problem against them during this losing streak. No stunning insight here, but good OL play and decision making will go a long way to prevent UVA from earning points like a UNC final exam.

Our defense really needs to sustain intensity for 4 quarters. We aren't going to get a 3-4 TD lead like we had against GT and VT. This game sets up more like Pitt without the TOs: 17-10 (with hopefully a Duke win).

I hope we're up for the challenge. The 3:30 start makes an easy boomerang day trip for those in NC and DC. It's an easier in/out than UNC. :p

The offense needs to keep Virginia's defense on the field for long stretches and not have quick 3 and outs or worse, turn the ball over. I think our defense has been terrific and will hold it's own most games. Harris running the ball worries me. If he goes down we are in big trouble because his replacement doesn't have much if any experience. It would be great if our running game comes alive this game and maybe our offensive line suddenly starts opening holes for Jackson and Durant. Looking for a game score; Duke 24- VA 20.
GoDuke!

AGDukesky
10-17-2019, 10:56 AM
I’m going with 27-17 UVA since my Pitt prediction clearly made the team overconfident...

Reilly
10-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Daily Press mid-year grades for UVa: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/university-virginia/vp-sp-uva-football-report-card101819-20191017-4uursoi7afbafbxdm6f3qyasbu-story.html

Steve W. breaking down Duke for RTD: https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-virginia/ask-the-opposing-beat-writer-duke-at-uva/article_7e9140ba-8fef-512d-9750-fd95b27fbdcf.html

chrishoke
10-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Daily Press mid-year grades for UVa: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/university-virginia/vp-sp-uva-football-report-card101819-20191017-4uursoi7afbafbxdm6f3qyasbu-story.html

Steve W. breaking down Duke for RTD: https://www.richmond.com/spo rts/college/schools/university-virginia/ask-the-opposing-beat-writer-duke-at-uva/article_7e9140ba-8fef-512d-9750-fd95b27fbdcf.html

Good stuff. Thanks Reilly.

This is such a bi opportunity For Duke. I think it will come down to our ability to pressure their QB while maintaining containment. Probably a tall task. I don't think we will be able to score more than 24 points.

chrishoke
10-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Uniform reveal?

PDDuke85
10-17-2019, 06:08 PM
Uniform reveal?

7:00 tonight per my Twitter query earlier today

chrishoke
10-17-2019, 06:19 PM
7:00 tonight per my Twitter query earlier today

Cool. Thanks. Later than usual.

PDDuke85
10-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Gut feeling some sort of retro uniform with UVA to celebrate 150 years based on an interview Cut had with Bronco Mendenhall recently.

chrishoke
10-17-2019, 07:31 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1184967324182278144

Black - White - Black. Virginia is going to kill us. Have we ever played well in black? :mad:

Reilly
10-17-2019, 07:45 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1184967324182278144

Black - White - Black. Virginia is going to kill us. Have we ever played well in black? :mad:

Yes, we have: https://goduke.com/galleries/?gallery=1057

chrishoke
10-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Yes, we have: https://goduke.com/galleries/?gallery=1057

LOL. Here is the helmet.

https://twitter.com/i/status/118496732418227814498549854

devildeac
10-17-2019, 10:03 PM
LOL. Here is the helmet.

https://twitter.com/i/status/118496732418227814498549854

Does that ensemble come with one of these?

Reilly
10-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Here's Virginia's helmet: https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Article/Virginia-Cavaliers-Football-Duke-Blue-Devils-UVA-reveals-special-helmets-uniform-combination-Bronco-Mendenhall-Bryce-Perkins-David-Cutcliffe-Joe-Reed-137060836/

Reilly
10-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Virginia (33-37)

1890 N L 4-10
1891 N W 20-0
1892 N L 4-46
1893 N L 0-30
1923 A L 0-33
1930 H W 32-0
1943 H W 49-0
1951 H L 7-30
1952 A W 21-7
1953 N W 48-6
1956 A W 40-7
1957 H W 40-0
1958 A L 12-15
1961 N W 42-0
1963 A W 30-8
1964 H W 30-0
1965 A W 21-7
1966 H W 27-8
1967 A W 13-6
1968 H L 20-50
1969 A L 0-10
1970 H W 17-7
1971 A W 28-0
1972 H W 37-13
1973 A L 3-7
1974 H W 27-7
1975 H W 26-11
1976 A W 21-6
1977 A W 31-7
1978 H W 20-13
1979 A L 12-30
1980 H L 17-20
1981 A W 29-24
1982 H W 51-17
1983 A L 30-38
1984 H L 10-38
1985 A L 14-37
1986 H W 20-13
1987 A L 17-42
1988 H W 38-34
1989 A L 28-49
1990 H L 0-59
1991 A L 3-34
1992 H L 28-55
1993 A L 0-35
1994 H W 28-25
1995 A L 30-44
1996 H L 3-27
1997 A L 10-13
1998 H L 0-24
1999 2OT A W 24-17
2000 H L 10-26
2001 A L 10-31
2002 H L 22-27
2003 A L 0-27
2004 H L 16-37
2005 A L 7-38
2006 H L 0-37
2007 A L 13-24
2008 H W 31-3
2009 A W 28-17
2010 H W 55-48
2011 A L 21-31
2012 H W 42-17
2013 A W 35-22
2014 H W 20-13
2015 A L 34-42
2016 H L 20-34
2017 A L 21-28
2018 H L 14-28

budwom
10-18-2019, 08:21 AM
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/virginia-vs-duke-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019

i fear this is a reasonable take on things.

AGDukesky
10-18-2019, 08:29 AM
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/virginia-vs-duke-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019

i fear this is a reasonable take on things.

Do editors exist anymore?

budwom
10-18-2019, 08:30 AM

I think one guy writes just about all of these in just several days, so yeah, not entirely crisp...but his football knowledge is pretty solid.

AGDukesky
10-18-2019, 08:43 AM
I think one guy writes just about all of these in just several days, so yeah, not entirely crisp...but his football knowledge is pretty solid.

He made some points but is his assessment of the passing game struggles accurate? I missed the GT game but after scoring 38 points in the first half, it wasn’t really needed. Other than the mediocre completion percentage was it that bad? Obviously Harris was awful against Pitt early but otherwise I’m not sure there is a huge concern given what I’ve seen...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2019, 08:45 AM

No i dont think so lol

budwom
10-18-2019, 08:50 AM
I think UVA looks at what Pitt did successfully for three quarters and plays our WRs ultra tight.

devildeac
10-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Yea, I'm not feeling good about this one:

Hoos 27
Men In Black 21

rsvman
10-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Defensively we should study the UVa-Miami tape and do what the Hurricanes did.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-18-2019, 09:57 AM
We are good enough to beat Virginia.....but I'm afraid they're too good to lose 3 in a row:

UVa 27 Duke 17

Bob Green
10-18-2019, 05:38 PM
What I am looking for tomorrow afternoon:

1. Pressure and contain Bryce Perkins. It is not good enough to pressure Perkins the defense must keep him hemmed in so he doesn't scramble for 1st downs or touchdowns.

2. Quentin Harris must know where Virginia linebacker Charles Snowden (#11) is at all times. At 6'7" Snowden has great length and is a disruptive force. Snowden is a game changer.

3. Wide receiver production is a must. As Budwom states above, Bronco Mendenhall has been watching Pitt tape and will utilize press coverage outside to limit our passing game. The wideouts have to be productive to make Virginia utilize their safeties to help deep and in the middle. This week Duke must successfully pass to set up the run game.

Prediction: Duke 24, Virginia 23

Virginia has struggled recently in the red zone so the difference will be our defense holding UVa to field goals.

chrishoke
10-18-2019, 05:50 PM
For Duke to win, I think it will have to be the defense and special teams.

Prediction - Virginia 24 Duke 16.

devildeac
10-18-2019, 06:11 PM
What I am looking for tomorrow afternoon:

1. Pressure and contain Bryce Perkins. It is not good enough to pressure Perkins the defense must keep him hemmed in so he doesn't scramble for 1st downs or touchdowns.

2. Quentin Harris must know where Virginia linebacker Charles Snowden (#11) is at all times. At 6'7" Snowden has great length and is a disruptive force. Snowden is a game changer.

3. Wide receiver production is a must. As Budwom states above, Bronco Mendenhall has been watching Pitt tape and will utilize press coverage outside to limit our passing game. The wideouts have to be productive to make Virginia utilize their safeties to help deep and in the middle. This week Duke must successfully pass to set up the run game.

Prediction: Duke 24, Virginia 23

Virginia has struggled recently in the red zone so the difference will be our defense holding UVa to field goals.

Whoa! Who stole Bob Green's name/password? :rolleyes:;)

richardjackson199
10-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Here it is, you knew it was coming:

Pie Bet Offer:

Given all the negative predictions on this thread, I'll change it up.

For a pie,
I'll take Duke + 3.5 Points.
You get UVA -3.5 Points.
That's the Vegas line, fair bet.

You get to hedge. If UVA wins big, it sucks but at least you win a pie.

This bet offer is for first taker only and offer expires at 10:15 am Saturday morning.

Anybody wanna play?

If I win, I'm either taking the pecan-crusted pumpkin:

https://gtpie.com/menus/pies/

or possibly the Bourbon chocolate pecan:

https://shop.gtpie.com/category/pumpkin_and_pecan

Reilly
10-18-2019, 11:07 PM
#51VD will continue to be a major disruptive force and difference-maker, I believe. And if UVA schemes to stop him, unleash some Cheetahs on their QB.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Whoa! Who stole Bob Green's name/password? :rolleyes:;)

Virginia is #11 in the nation in Rushing Defense yielding 90 yards per game:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Duke needs to establish the pass to loosen up the Wahoo run defense.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 05:50 AM
Keys to Victory per the Charlottesville Daily Progress:

https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/keys-to-victory-duke-at-virginia/article_38a19a1b-9891-5b10-8df7-db0e6df4a008.html

Devilwin
10-19-2019, 06:11 AM
For me the key for Duke to upset them is for us not to miss so many doggone tackles..That seems to be a recurring theme for Duke..:(

Reilly
10-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Play with an edge. I think Cut will create that edge: big game, road game, perfect fall day, emotional payback factor of recent frustrating losses to Virginia ..

devildeac
10-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Virginia is #11 in the nation in Rushing Defense yielding 90 yards per game:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24

Duke needs to establish the pass to loosen up the Wahoo run defense.

Great info, Bob. Thanks for finding/sharing. ;)

chrishoke
10-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Game day Devils. Big opportunity. Road Warriors!

jv001
10-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Weather for Charlottesville: game time. 67 degrees and sunny. A beautiful day for Duke to come away with a victory.

GoDuke!

budwom
10-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Here it is, you knew it was coming:

Pie Bet Offer:

Given all the negative predictions on this thread, I'll change it up.

For a pie,
I'll take Duke + 3.5 Points.
You get UVA -3.5 Points.
That's the Vegas line, fair bet.

You get to hedge. If UVA wins big, it sucks but at least you win a pie.

This bet offer is for first taker only and offer expires at 10:15 am Saturday morning.

Anybody wanna play?

If I win, I'm either taking the pecan-crusted pumpkin:

https://gtpie.com/menus/pies/

or possibly the Bourbon chocolate pecan:

https://shop.gtpie.com/category/pumpkin_and_pecan

Nice to meet you two weeks ago! Make mine a blueberry crumb pie....I don't see us prospering vs their defense...as others note, their run defense is very good, so they can press our receivers a la Pitt, and they surely will. Not a good matchup for us at all...I would love nothing better than to eat a very large humble pie tomorrow, but I just don't see it...

Reilly
10-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Some good stuff here: https://twitter.com/CoachJimBridge/status/1185236409625518080?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

"Do what you do." - Cut

richardjackson199
10-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Nice to meet you two weeks ago! Make mine a blueberry crumb pie...I don't see us prospering vs their defense...as others note, their run defense is very good, so they can press our receivers a la Pitt, and they surely will. Not a good matchup for us at all...I would love nothing better than to eat a very large humble pie tomorrow, but I just don't see it...

You too Budwom!

Sounds like a friendly pie wager. <Shakes on it.> Thanks for playing - I think it makes it even more fun either way with small stakes.

Hopefully this is a fun one where Duke finds a way! I know you'll be rooting for Duke to pull it out 100% anyway. And if they don't, that pie will still taste just as good. I've had the blueberry courtesy of Chillin; - it's delicious. It would be an honor to lose a pie to you. But hopefully I'll win this one. Go Duke! :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
10-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Duke 31 - UVA 24 http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

chrishoke
10-19-2019, 11:56 AM
The Gameday crew all picked Virginia.

BlueDevil16
10-19-2019, 11:57 AM
All the gameday panel picked UVA

peloton
10-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Game day Devils. Big opportunity. Road Warriors!

Road Warriors indeed. We've often performed better on the road the last few years than we have in Wallace Wade. Let's continue the tradition, play well on both sides of the ball with no turnovers, and leave C'ville with a win.

Let's go Duke!

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Duke beat Ga Tech handily last week. Miami beat UVA last week. So far this week Ga Tech is in the game in the second half with Miami. If this were horse racing any good handicapper would say Duke has a good chance to beat UVA today. Go Devils!

peloton
10-19-2019, 02:22 PM
All the gameday panel picked UVA

My response to them would be, to quote The Church Lady, "well, isn't that special?" Let's prove 'em wrong.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 03:40 PM
What’s with the dumb looking helmets for both teams?

Native
10-19-2019, 03:47 PM
PICK!

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Why are we running up the middle on 3rd and 7?

PDDuke85
10-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Why are we running up the middle on 3rd and 7?

Because the short field bubble screen failed on 2nd down?

duke09hms
10-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Defensive battle, Harris not looking good passing.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Our offense is offensive right now.

ehdg
10-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Our offense is just pathetic so far.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Defensive battle, Harris not looking good passing.

Harris can do nothing with that pathetic play calling. No imagination whatsoever.

AGDukesky
10-19-2019, 04:06 PM
This is just how VT started...

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 04:06 PM
We’re playing sideways. Don’t get it. That set is not working. Adjust!!!

Devilwin
10-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Offense looks really bad.
But the defense is looking good so far. O needs to crank it up..

ehdg
10-19-2019, 04:08 PM
It’s a combination UVA has a good stout D n our offense is doing nothing n the play calling is HSish!

ehdg
10-19-2019, 04:18 PM
UVA Offenes is now clicking n our D just can’t stop them. Not looking promising for us this afternoon.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 04:20 PM
And the announcers are calling this game like they’re UVA fans. Is this a UVA broadcast or something?

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Offense looks really bad.
But the defense is looking good so far. O needs to crank it up..

Many defenses will give up if they realize their O cannot do anything. Duke has a good D...but can they handle all the 3 and outs by the Zac Attack? Or is that the Roper-a- Dope?

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Oy. Time to go do something else.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Oy. Time to go do something else.

QH threw the ball where only the defender could catch it.

75Crazie
The play calling appears horrible because the O-line pass blocking is, in a word … horrible. Harris is getting ZERO time to throw from the pocket. That is a recipe for disaster, as the interception just showed (on a roll-out pass). This is going to be a very long game unless the line can figure out a way to keep the pass rushers at bay for a couple of seconds, at least.

ehdg
Well Harrison is reverting back to making ill advised passes again. That’s our first turnover n gives UVA excellent field position to start.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:28 PM
The play calling appears horrible because the O-line pass blocking is, in a word … horrible. Harris is getting ZERO time to throw from the pocket. That is a recipe for disaster, as the interception just showed (on a roll-out pass). This is going to be a very long game unless the line can figure out a way to keep the pass rushers at bay for a couple of seconds, at least.

That' a big factor, but the play calling is totally non creative...not fooling anyone anytime.

Stray Gator
10-19-2019, 04:29 PM
Horrible throw by Harris. And on the last two before that, one was at the feet of the receiver and the other was low and tipped by a DB. I don't recall seeing him this inaccurate before.

75Crazie
10-19-2019, 04:31 PM
I think Harris can be rattled by a good pass rush*. And this is a good pass rush.

*Can't say I blame him.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:32 PM
IMO:
Bronco knew he was going for the fourth down. He pulled the O off the field to allow Duke D to relax. They'll come back in and have a good shot at conversion...that's pretty clever coaching on his part.

UPDATE: I was wrong about that....but I think it's a good strategy anyway. We're lucky to get out with only 3....

devildeac
10-19-2019, 04:35 PM
10 point deficit may be insurmountable today :mad:. And it's not UVa basketball :rolleyes:.

peteandpete
10-19-2019, 04:36 PM
UVA got away with offensive interference twice and it looked like their interception should have been marked at the spot as his knee appeared to be down. However, if we can't run some misdirection to loosen up their defense, calls won't matter.

brlftz
10-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Unreal

Edit: need a foot, start from five yards deep. Brilliant!

fuse
10-19-2019, 04:38 PM
Ugh. Fourth and inches and a delay sneak.

WT?????

Offense is just woeful.

peteandpete
10-19-2019, 04:38 PM
UVA got away with offensive interference twice and it looked like their interception should have been marked at the spot as his knee appeared to be down. However, if we can't run some misdirection to loosen up their defense, calls won't matter.

Bad call!

PDDuke85
10-19-2019, 04:39 PM
4th and inches
Is it illegal or immoral to put the QB under center?

dukelifer

WT?????

Offense is just woeful.

Just a bad day so far.

duke09hms
We like to be daring and call the most conservative plays. It's why our bowl streak is built on non-con patsies and 3-5 ACC records.

CameronBlue
Please someone explain to me why, when you intend to run up the middle out of a 0 back set, you fake the pass before running into the line on 4th and 1. That was utterly the stupidest decision I've seen in a football game EVER!

devildeac
10-19-2019, 04:41 PM
Reminds me of a call several years ago with 4th and inches inside the 5 (IIRC) and we start in the shotgun with DJ and, of course, get nowhere. Holy @#$%.

ehdg
10-19-2019, 04:41 PM

WT?????

Offense is just woeful.

Completely awful call specially with that field position. Just give them the ball n kill our D with 4th down plays like that!

Sixthman
10-19-2019, 04:42 PM
4th and inches
Is it illegal or immoral to put the QB under center?

Or have more than one guy in the backfield so there’s some mystery as to who might carry the ball

tteettimes
10-19-2019, 04:45 PM
You’re watching DUKE FOOTBALL.....

Now we return to our regular scheduled program....😈😈😈😈😈

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 04:45 PM
We like to be daring and call the most conservative plays. It's why our bowl streak is built on non-con patsies and 3-5 ACC records.

But Duke is going to bowls. Did you prefer the time that they were not going?

devildeac
10-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Zero UVa penalty yds so far despite 1 or 2 offensive PI that shoulda been called.

Four flags for 40 yds against us.

fuse
10-19-2019, 04:49 PM
And.....I may have seen enough of this game.

rsvman
10-19-2019, 04:50 PM
He was on his knees a long time before he held the ball over the line. Should've been fourth and goal.

devildeac
10-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Shoulda saved time and fuel and taken the forfeit score. Complete no show from the players and coaches on the field and in the booth.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:52 PM

Probably not this year.

DU82
10-19-2019, 04:52 PM
At the game. How did we go from a fumble to a TD? Replay in the stands wasn’t clear

Devilwin
10-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Defense continues to hang tough. Offense is, in a word, putrid...The line just is getting man handled by Virginia, and Harris is off on his passes. Play calling is again dismal..:(

I'm afraid it's gonna get real ugly real quick..One first down so far.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Shoulda saved time and fuel and taken the forfeit score. Complete no show from the players and coaches on the field and in the booth.
I don’t think the D is actually playing that badly. But they’ve been on the field the whole time and have been put in terrible spots.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 04:55 PM
I don’t think the D is actually playing that badly. But they’ve been on the field the whole time and have been put in terrible spots.

i would agree with this......those guys know our O is not scoring today.....defense takes a lot of attitude, and when your O aint doin' it......

devildeac
10-19-2019, 04:56 PM

Good point as we've only given up 153 yds.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Okey doke. I’m done.

dukelifer
Wow- playing as bad on O as they can

ehdg

No but I am sick of losing every single time to Pitt n UVA! It’s time to find a new OC. I’m tired of his awful play calling. Roper hasn’t done anything to improve our offense n his play calling is boring. This is just so frustrating.

devildeac
10-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Aaaaannnnnd, the D is back on the field after another failure by the O. Miserable.

tteettimes
10-19-2019, 05:00 PM
No but I am sick of losing every single time to Pitt n UVA! It’s time to find a new OC. I’m tired of his awful play calling. Roper hasn’t done anything to improve our offense n his play calling is boring. This is just so frustrating.

So what is Cut??.....a potted plant????😈😈😈😈

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Four quarters of uninspired football in a row...

fuse
10-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Lucky for it only to be 0-17 at the half.

devildeac
10-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Hey, at least we get the ball to start the second half after a stunning 3 first downs and 73 yds total offense in 30 minutes of football (term applied loosely).

rsvman
10-19-2019, 05:06 PM
At the game. How did we go from a fumble to a TD? Replay in the stands wasn’t clear

They ruled that the quarterback had the ball in his hand and held the nose if the ball over the goal line with control before it was knocked from his hands.

He did, but to my view of the replay it appeared that he was down before he held the ball out.

Oh, well. Not going to win any games without getting some first downs.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Four quarters of uninspired football in a row...

This is part of what I was angry about last week....when I was lectured that running the ball 80% of the time was the smart play when you're way up. You can't ground an offense for purpose for two quarters and then expect them to be sharp the next game. It doesn't normally work like that.

Of course, I have no idea what was going on in 2013 when Duke trailed UVa 22-0 in Charlottesville - and came back to win 35-22. Different Roper on the play call then.....more weapons.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 05:08 PM

They ruled Perkins had possession across the goal line before he fumbled.

duke09hms
10-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Of course, I have no idea what was going on in 2013 when Duke trailed UVa 22-0 in Charlottesville - and came back to win 35-22. Different Roper on the play call then....more weapons.

London was UVA coach back then, totally different conference. Mendenhall has owned Cut since he took over UVA as have most of the newer ACC coaches.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Coach Cutcliffe needs to make significant halftime adjustments to get us back in this game. We have less than 100 yards total offense in the 1st half.

Devilwin
10-19-2019, 05:19 PM
i would agree with this...those guys know our O is not scoring today....defense takes a lot of attitude, and when your O aint doin' it...

Agree. Defense has performed well. Offense is just a hot mess..

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 05:21 PM
London was UVA coach back then, totally different conference. Mendenhall has owned Cut since he took over UVA as have most of the newer ACC coaches.

Yes I realize that.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2019, 05:23 PM
Hopefully our last drive, minus the fumble, was an omen for better things this half.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:25 PM
Hopefully our last drive, minus the fumble, was an omen for better things this half.
Nope

Dr. Rosenrosen
Uh, no.

fuse
2nd half team....bwahahahhahahahhahaha.

😭

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Crap!

ehdg
10-19-2019, 05:26 PM
This team is done! Fumble to start the 2nd half! I think the Offensive unit has quit on us. Sad to say this game is over. Our offense never showed up today. d is just getting worn down.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 05:28 PM

It was an omen alright...

CameronBlue

That's exactly what it was...from Virginia's perspective. Suddenly there seems to be a heart issue with this team.

SavDukeGrad
Isn’t that the third time Dubois has pushed off like that? Why are they consistently not calling it? It could almost be hands to the face!

ehdg
10-19-2019, 05:29 PM
So what is Cut??....a potted plant????😈😈😈😈

Cut gives too much loyalty to his coaches. Sad to say he needs to step up n make changes n replace/fire some of his assistants specially Rooer! It’s time!

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Cut gives too much loyalty to his coaches. Sad to say he needs to step up n make changes n replace/fire some of his assistants specially Rooer! It’s time!

Those coaches keep turning the ball over.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Why throw behind the sticks?

Dr. Rosenrosen
Even our punting sucks today.

duke09hms
Roper loves those short passes 3yds shy of the marker on 3rd and x.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Why throw behind the sticks?
Because that’s all Harris has time for. O line stinking it up today.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Nothing irritates me more than throwing the ball well behind the chains on third down. WHY ever do it? Better off to chunk it 50 and get it intercepted...better than most punts. Seriously, when has Noah Gray EVER gotten yards after the catch?

SavDukeGrad
10-19-2019, 05:37 PM
I hope Blackwell is not hurt seriously. We will really need him in the coming weeks.

WakeDevil
10-19-2019, 05:39 PM
I hope Blackwell is not hurt seriously. We will really need him in the coming weeks.

What team on the remaining schedule can this team beat? Nobody

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:39 PM
A really bad performance- not much else to say.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-19-2019, 05:41 PM

Miami

duke09hms
10-19-2019, 05:41 PM

Miami and Syracuse are our best shots

longtimedevil
10-19-2019, 05:42 PM
We need a new OC period.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:42 PM
That is not true- they can beat UNC, Miami and Syracuse but not the way they are playing today.

moonpie23
10-19-2019, 05:43 PM
ugly......just poor play...

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:46 PM
We need a new OC period.

Yes - need one that can block better.

sagegrouse
10-19-2019, 05:48 PM
Austin PARKER!!

fuse
10-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Time for Austin Parker to play ironman football! 🤣

I’d love to see stats on how often punters have been successful on converting fourth downs twice in a row on the same series.

ehdg
10-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Wow Austin Parker is our only offense today. On back to back punts Austin has gotten us first downs running the ball. Once on a bad snap/mishandle n other time on a fake. Least he’s playing hard!

SavDukeGrad
10-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Who was hurt on that last fake punt?

ehdg
Holy cow we scored a Offensive TD! Harris to Bracey!

dukelifer
Nice pass- Parker with the momentum assist

fuse
10-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Harris to Bracey! Let’s Go Duke!!! 🔵😈

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-19-2019, 05:55 PM
I’m taking full credit for this one. I turned off the game and will continue only to check for updates here. Butterfly effect and all that.

ehdg
10-19-2019, 05:55 PM
There went our momentum with the kick off! Damn!

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 05:56 PM
And they give up a big kickoff TD- momentum lost

fuse
10-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Uncle.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Uncle.

I am done- blocking was horrific

peteandpete
10-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Are the Hoos better than Bama? This is one of those performances that should result in a conversation with the AD. Just terrible.

CameronBlue
10-19-2019, 06:15 PM
This is reminiscent of some of the Roof-Franks era teams. I expected a lot more from a QB who has been in Cut's system for 4+ years. This is not a marketable product to recruits.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Are the Hoos better than Bama? This is one of those performances that should result in a conversation with the AD. Just terrible.

Fire Cut? Wow.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 06:20 PM
This is reminiscent of some of the Roof-Franks era teams. I expected a lot more from a QB who has been in Cut's system for 4+ years. This is not a marketable product to recruits.

Yes Daniel Jones is not marketable. Come on. This is college football- they had a horrible game. It happens.

YmoBeThere
10-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Well, being on an airplane with marginal Wi-fi does have its advantages.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 06:35 PM
Yes Daniel Jones is not marketable. Come on. This is college football- they had a horrible game. It happens.

Two horrible games, historically horrible games, in the last 8 games (back to WFU). I don't know what the problem is, but we are wasting another pretty good defensive team, wearing them out.

CameronBlue
10-19-2019, 06:40 PM

As Cut has stated many times a program's development is not static, it's either progressing or regressing. Duke's recruiting class this year looks like it will be in the mid-60s a little worse than its average for the last 4-5 years which puts Duke in a precarious position. You're correct bad games happen. But Duke's not in position to endure too many embarrassing losses, before the image of the program slides further, that's my only point. It's not an irrecoverable situation, but the job became a little bit tougher today. Next week could be and hopefully will be a different story.

Devilwin
10-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Two horrible games, historically horrible games, in the last 8 games (back to WFU). I don't know what the problem is, but we are wasting another pretty good defensive team, wearing them out.

All true. We have a stout defense. The offense is terrible, and I mean everyone associated with it, not just players.

Devilwin
10-19-2019, 06:48 PM
God I hate UVA...:mad: Bronco so smug...

ehdg
10-19-2019, 06:49 PM
There went our momentum with the kick off! Damn!

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 06:58 PM
As Cut has stated many times a program's development is not static, it's either progressing or regressing. Duke's recruiting class this year looks like it will be in the mid-60s a little worse than its average for the last 4-5 years which puts Duke in a precarious position. You're correct bad games happen. But Duke's not in position to endure too many embarrassing losses, before the image of the program slides further, that's my only point. It's not an irrecoverable situation, but the job became a little bit tougher today. Next week could be and hopefully will be a different story.

I agree with your assessment....Duke football is unimaginably fragile.....and with the first coach to have any kind of sustained success in decades already 65, a bad season and games like WFU and this one could send Duke backwards quickly. No one will ever convince me that the dip in recruiting this year isn't the result of a number of televised games with empty stadium the last couple of years, plus the Wake debacle on TV in November.

An analog to Duke is Wake, and like Duke, WFU has the right coach. Only theirs is 20 years younger and having a great season. Very difficult for Duke and Wake to be good at the same time.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Way too much negativity here for me. Yes, today sucked, the offense was pathetic, but they had a bad game. It has happened before and it will happen again.

Next game!

heyman25
10-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Was not a witness to the poor performance by Duke football today. Kurt Roper is a mediocre offensive coordinator. Has been for years.Why is the offense so impotent?

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Not sure what to say. I forgot about the Wake game when they put on a great offensive performance against Temple. College football teams can have clunker games. Which team outside of Clemson is tearing it up in the ACC? UVa just lost two in a row- last week against Miami who just lost to Ga Tech today a team that Duke killed. There is no rhyme or reason.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Was not a witness to the poor performance by Duke football today. Kurt Roper is a mediocre offensive coordinator. Has been for years.Why is the offense so impotent?

Kurt Roper is not a coach at Duke. He hasn’t been for years.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 07:20 PM

56 against Temple - 45 against Va Tech- 41 against Ga Tech. Yep impotent. The OC did not plan on 5 TOs in Duke territory. But I guess he is bad.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Kurt Roper is not a coach at Duke. He hasn’t been for years.

But still gets all the blame

HereBeforeCoachK
10-19-2019, 07:24 PM
All true. We have a stout defense. The offense is terrible, and I mean everyone associated with it, not just players.

There was a lot of chat that we throw all the short passes because QH doesn't have time. The fact of the matter is, there are certain long passes you can throw on a quick drop and two second count....ie....the TD pass to Bracey. QH let it go in under 2 secs, or right at 2 secs. Sure, some long patterns take a while to develop, but some don't. If someone were to ask me, I'd recommend taking a shot or two at one of those early in the game. Even if they don't work, might open things up for Calhoun, Gray, etc.

CameronBlue
10-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Way too much negativity here for me. Yes, today sucked, the offense was pathetic, but they had a bad game. It has happened before and it will happen again.

Next game!

No, just realism, and really Bob, pretty tame as far as fan boards go. QH is an impressive young man, a wonderful representative of Duke as is Coach Cut. Irrespective, today was troubling.

Bob Green
10-19-2019, 07:31 PM
No, just realism, and really Bob, pretty tame as far as fan boards go. QH is an impressive young man, a wonderful representative of Duke as is Coach Cut. Irrespective, today was troubling.

I agree to a point. I am extremely unhappy with how today’s game played out; however, I refuse to throw the team under the bus. Let’s go beat Carolina!

CameronBlue
10-19-2019, 07:34 PM
I agree to a point. I am extremely unhappy with how today’s game played out; however, I refuse to throw the team under the bus. Let’s go beat Carolina!

I'll be there. LGD!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Did Duke lose 4 games today or just one? I'm perplexed.

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 07:44 PM
Did Duke lose 4 games today or just one? I'm perplexed.

Not only did they lose 4 games but every decent recruit moving forward. It was a bad day for Duke football. All Roper’s fault as he calling Duke’s plays from the NC State sideline

peteandpete
10-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Fire Cut? Wow.

Respectfully, did not say that....or suggest that.

rtnorthrup
10-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Any links to Cuts post game quotes.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Horrible play calling, horrible execution by all on offense. Like vs Alabama, defense kept it close until they wore out.

Fire Roper!

dukelifer
10-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Respectfully, did not say that...or suggest that.

Why would you have a conversation with the AD?

budwom
10-19-2019, 10:24 PM

It's incredible how often we did that today, and have done that this season...just as unfathomable as the timid play calling. We started the game by making no attempt whatsoever to throw the ball downfield. Absolutely none.
UVa has a really good run defense, so we decided to run and then ran some more. I was concerned about our wide receivers after the Va Tech game, even though we won handily (primarily by throwing to the tight end and RBs).
Against Pitt their pressing defense just took away our passing game, and UVA shows once again we just have no confidence in our receivers. An inept effort, even by old Duke standards.

Scorp4me
10-20-2019, 01:12 AM
Harris had a bad game, but let me say it's easy to have a bad game when the line gives you no time, the receivers can't hold onto the ball, and the running backs fumble them. It was a team effort.

I thought the refs made some terrible calls, not overall just a few blown calls I thought. Virginia didn't need any help though, kudos to them.

Virginia finally decided to start throwing on their first touchdown drive I believe. It's like teams want to try to run against Duke just to prove they can even when they can throw at will. I believe it took 4 passes to set up the touchdown run.

I hope Blackwell is okay, but I thought the freshman who came in for him played great! He even GASP, looked for the ball. I guess he hasn't been there long enough to be taught to not to yet.

Parker had a great game and not just the two 1st downs he ran for. Score could have been worse if not for his punts.

Bob Green
10-20-2019, 06:51 AM
Jim Sumner on the loss:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/10/19/20922029/duke-falls-hard-at-uva-48-14-acc-coastal-football

There’s no way to polish this one.

chrishoke
10-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Duke is the only team in FBS to have two games with at least five turnovers.

Total offense yesterday was Virginia 307 - Duke 250. Wow.

budwom
10-20-2019, 09:35 AM
My conclusions thus far this season: 1) we have a defense which is ACC level, very good at times. They are clearly competitive. 2) We have a broken offense (yes, it can excel against lesser teams) that has major major issues well beyond just having a "bad game."

fuse
10-20-2019, 10:43 AM
I didn’t want to start a new thread; I’m open to that if the moderators feel this is a different enough topic.

When Cut arrived, I was pretty vocal to anyone who had interest that moving from where we where to a program that would consistently be 6-5 or 5-6, competitive in every game (no blowout losses) and be bowl eligible more often than not, I’d be thrilled.

We’re pretty much there, and it feels like the program has either plateau’d, or is at an inflection point for change.

I don’t have any answers. What would it take to make Duke a consistent top 25 team? Conversely, how close are we to the razor’s edge of slipping from relevancy to obscurity?

I mean no disrespect to the existing coaching staff or players.
I’m just sharing what I am processing about the state of the program.

Is where we are “good enough”, or the best we can expect?

Bob Green
10-20-2019, 10:46 AM
2) We have a broken offense that has major major issues well beyond just having a "bad game."

I certainly cannot offer a counterpoint this morning. The offense was pathetic in both scheme and execution. I attempt to maintain a positive perspective when things look bad but I am having a hard time this morning.

75Crazie
10-20-2019, 10:48 AM
My short, simple answer to fuse: The kinds of things it would take to move Duke to a consistent top-25 football program, given the state of college football today, are the kinds of things that would destroy my love for Duke football.

fuse
10-20-2019, 10:50 AM
My short, simple answer to fuse: The kinds of things it would take to move Duke to a consistent top-25 football program, given the state of college football today, are the kinds of things that would destroy my love for Duke football.

An interesting perspective. Care to elaborate further, or offer specifics? [I’m not challenging your view, would like to learn more.]

jgehtland
10-20-2019, 11:03 AM
Worth remembering that we lost the 6th overall pick in the draft who had a year of eligibility left. You can roll with that at OSU; not here. Of course our offense took a hit. DJ was lightning in a bottle.

uh_no
10-20-2019, 11:04 AM
An interesting perspective. Care to elaborate further, or offer specifics? [I’m not challenging your view, would like to learn more.]

i would imagine the exact kind of things that were/are done down the road....except successfully.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
10-20-2019, 11:06 AM
I didn’t want to start a new thread; I’m open to that if the moderators feel this is a different enough topic.

When Cut arrived, I was pretty vocal to anyone who had interest that moving from where we where to a program that would consistently be 6-5 or 5-6, competitive in every game (no blowout losses) and be bowl eligible more often than not, I’d be thrilled.

We’re pretty much there, and it feels like the program has either plateau’d, or is at an inflection point for change.

I don’t have any answers. What would it take to make Duke a consistent top 25 team? Conversely, how close are we to the razor’s edge of slipping from relevancy to obscurity?

I think we all knew this year is a transitional year. Going from a quarterback who was drafted #6 to a quarterback who had played very little was never going to be a walk in the park. On offense we see some good things. Some of the freshman skill players look really good. That gives me hope for our future assuming we can find a really good quarterback to throw to them. Brown being injured on offense hurts the running game. I simply don’t know enough about football to judge our offensive linemen on a long term basis.

The defense has been good. Look at the yardage they gave up yesterday. It’s incredible how many points UVA got from that yardage until you look at the length of their scoring drives. It seems to me the the defense is good enough to win games if the offense does anything.

Bottom line to me is we are one great quarterback and a better offensive line from being an eight or nine win team next year. The most puzzling thing to me is why aren’t top high school quarterbacks lining up to play at Duke. I don’t care that the crowds are small. I believe two of the best in the NFL played at Wyoming and North Dakota something. We need to find and recruit those type of guys.

I’ve been an optimist since the Tom Harp days. It’s good everyone expects more in football now at Duke. Our boards sound just a whinny as every other football school that loses the day before. GO DUKE.

chrishoke
10-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Our fanbase is too small for a consistent top 25 team - that will never happen, that's an unrealistic expectation - occasionally, yes.

fuse
10-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Our fanbase is too small for a consistent top 25 team - that will never happen, that's an unrealistic expectation - occasionally, yes.

Is there a proven correlation between size of fanbase and being a top 25 football team?

YmoBeThere
10-20-2019, 11:15 AM

:D:D:D

https://youtu.be/Yvd-B2MM5WI

fuse
10-20-2019, 11:16 AM
:D:D:D

https://youtu.be/Yvd-B2MM5WI

Fantastic. Thanks for the smile this morning!

Reilly
10-20-2019, 12:10 PM
... What would it take to make Duke a consistent top 25 team? ...

Consistent = more often than not? Over what time period?

Here are some schools -- private ones; some conference brethren w/ good academics -- and how many times they finished in the AP top 25 in the 19 years from 2000-2018:

Baylor: 4/19
BC: 5/19
BYU: 5/19
DU: 1/19
GT: 5/19
Miami: 9/19
NU: 4/19
ND: 9/19
Stanford: 8/19
SU: 2/19
TCU: 12/19
USC: 13/19
Vandy: 2/19
Virginia: 2/19
WF: 1/19

As you can see, only TCU and Southern Cal were "consistent" top 25 teams in the sense of more often than not this century. Even Notre Dame, Stanford, and Miami did not achieve that.

jgehtland
10-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Here are some schools -- private ones; some conference brethren w/ good academics -- and how many times they finished in the AP top 25 in the 19 years from 2000-2018:

As you can see, only TCU and Southern Cal were "consistent" top 25 teams in the sense of more often than not this century. Even Notre Dame, Stanford, and Miami did not achieve that.

Here's a great psychological experiment. Just put the same chart up but also list how many times their men's basketball team also finished the season in the top 25. I wonder if perceived success of the football team is measured against perceived success of the basketball team.

Faison1
10-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Is there a proven correlation between size of fanbase and being a top 25 football team?

Not really. Look at Tennessee. They've been perplexedly bad for 10 years, and they have one of the best fanbases.

Watching SMU yesterday is more of an apt comparison. They used to play in the Cotton Bowl before the death penalty. Then they suffered through 20+ years of a lousy stadium (25,000 capacity?) on campus. It's taken an amazing effort to get them back to where they are now, but today's success is intertwined with a QB that transferred from Texas. Who knows what will happen when their QB graduates, or their coach gets hired away.

Luckily, we don't have to worry about the coach leaving. But we do have to worry about where our next QB is coming from. It's been surprisingly quiet ever since the Jack Sears recruitment.

Bob Green
10-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Luckily, we don't have to worry about the coach leaving. But we do have to worry about where our next QB is coming from. It's been surprisingly quiet ever since the Jack Sears recruitment.

Duke has a 4 Star quarterback arriving in 2020 - Luca Diamont. Gunnar Holmberg was also a 4 Star recruit. Having two 4 Star quarterbacks on the roster is not exactly quiet.

sagegrouse
10-20-2019, 01:03 PM

USC doesn't belong in this list. While private, it is huge -- undergrad enrollment of 20,000.

Faison1
10-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Duke has a 4 Star quarterback arriving in 2020 - Luca Diamont. Gunnar Holmberg was also a 4 Star recruit. Having two 4 Star quarterbacks on the roster is not exactly quiet.

Hi Bob. I certainly don't mean to argue, since you are in tune with this much more closely than me. Who knows about stars and rankings (DJ was a 2), but the guys you referenced were both 3 star recruits, depending on what service you look at.

Having said that, let me rephrase what I said: There hasn't been a lot of buzz surrounding QB recruiting since the Jack Sears signing. Again, that's from where I sit, which is 2,800 miles away.

And by the way: attendance for yesterday's SMU vs Temple game where SMU is ranked #19, playing at home in a renovated 32,000 capacity stadium on a beautiful day?

tteettimes
10-20-2019, 01:13 PM
It’s my opinion that any team/any sport cannot consistently compete on a top twenty-five level
Without the top recruited players.....
.we do not have these top ten players on any basis much less consistently.
We do have a very few players of this caliber from time to time.....but not every year or even every two or three years.
This is not only skill position players....we yearly lack the level of linemen to compete on a consistent level.
My expectations will not change unless we do recruit these levels of players.
You simply cannot compete with lesser quality athletic players. You lose as much as you win. That’s not fun to me at all.
Playing NCCU and Middle Tn. state and A&T Should not happen every year just to achieve winning six games.

What we have is what we deserve...

richardjackson199
10-20-2019, 01:29 PM
It’s my opinion that any team/any sport cannot consistently compete on a top twenty-five level
Without the top recruited players...
.we do not have these top ten players on any basis much less consistently.
We do have a very few players of this caliber from time to time...but not every year or even every two or three years.
This is not only skill position players...we yearly lack the level of linemen to compete on a consistent level.
My expectations will not change unless we do recruit these levels of players.
You simply cannot compete with lesser quality athletic players. You lose as much as you win. That’s not fun to me at all.
Playing NCCU and Middle Tn. state and A&T Should not happen every year just to achieve winning six games.

What we have is what we deserve...

I agree with much of your post. Not having many of the upper echelon of athletic players on the line and other positions matters a lot. It also affects our depth which matters a lot in a football season.

I also think that the pathetic camera shots of empty blue seats in Wade can't help our recruiting. Surely opposing coaches show players they are trying to recruit away from us those pictures. "Do you want to play in front of that crowd?" I'll fully expect more fans in Carolina blue at Wade next Saturday than Duke blue. I hope I'm wrong. But I've been there and their putrid, but loud "Tar-Heel" chants in Wade are disheartening. Those are just the demographics of the triangle and most of the state. Could Duke do more to get more Duke blue in Wade? Sure, but they haven't. They've done some things, but they haven't done enough. It is what it is.

As for losing as much as you win, I'd argue that is half fun. I can't speak for others, but it's certainly more fun to me than 0-11. We all remember the time when games like yesterday were the rule rather than the exception. I'm thankful for Cut and how far Duke's program has come since he arrived. But there may be a ceiling on how much he can achieve with our level of recruiting and our crowd support.

You may find better football players and better crowds elsewhere. But you won't find better beer, better tailgate food, bettor pie, or better folks anywhere else. I'm proud to be a Duke football fan.

Go Duke! Beat the Cheats! 9F

fuse
10-20-2019, 01:35 PM

To clarify the objective, it would be ranked in the 20-25 range consistently over time (for sake of discussion, say a decade).

I’m not saying its reasonable or achievable, just food for thought on what a next step up could look like for the program.

I am sure there are other measures, like winning the Coastal division.

Bob Green
10-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Hi Bob. I certainly don't mean to argue, since you are in tune with this much more closely than me. Who knows about stars and rankings (DJ was a 2), but the guys you referenced were both 3 star recruits, depending on what service you look at.

Holmberg and Diamont were 4 Star quarterbacks per ESPN. Until they perform on the field, stars and rankings are all we have. Daniel Jones was an outlier.

Reilly
10-20-2019, 01:56 PM
... ranked in the 20-25 range consistently over time (for sake of discussion, say a decade) ...

Let's do it 1x in the modern, integrated era of CFB.

31, 43, 57, 77, 37, 41, 44 (current)-- Duke rank in the SRS 2013-2019 -- 0/7 in top 25

48, 51, 36 -- Duke rank in the SRS 1987-89 -- 0/3 in top 25

25, 21, 16, 18, 15, 43, 61, 32, 14, 20-- Duke rank in the SRS 1953-1962 -- 7/10 in top 25

37, 22, 18, 4, 5, 11, 10, 5, 10, 8, 22, 8, 19, 15, 11-- Duke rank in the SRS 1932-1946 -- 14/15 in top 25

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/

TruBlu
10-20-2019, 02:18 PM
I agree with much of your post. Not having many of the upper echelon of athletic players on the line and other positions matters a lot. It also affects our depth which matters a lot in a football season.

I also think that the pathetic camera shots of empty blue seats in Wade can't help our recruiting. Surely opposing coaches show players they are trying to recruit away from us those pictures. "Do you want to play in front of that crowd?" I'll fully expect more fans in Carolina blue at Wade next Saturday than Duke blue. I hope I'm wrong. But I've been there and their putrid, but loud "Tar-Heel" chants in Wade are disheartening. Those are just the demographics of the triangle and most of the state. Could Duke do more to get more Duke blue in Wade? Sure, but they haven't. They've done some things, but they haven't done enough. It is what it is.

As for losing as much as you win, I'd argue that is half fun. I can't speak for others, but it's certainly more fun to me than 0-11. We all remember the time when games like yesterday were the rule rather than the exception. I'm thankful for Cut and how far Duke's program has come since he arrived. But there may be a ceiling on how much he can achieve with our level of recruiting and our crowd support.

You may find better football players and better crowds elsewhere. But you won't find better beer, better tailgate food, bettor pie, or better folks anywhere else. I'm proud to be a Duke football fan.

Go Duke! Beat the Cheats! 9F

Agree with much that you say, but I must point out that we play AT carolina on Saturday. Anyone showing up at Wade Saturday will be even lonelier than if Duke is playing at home. 😉

richardjackson199
10-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Agree with much that you say, but I must point out that we play AT carolina on Saturday. Anyone showing up at Wade Saturday will be even lonelier than if Duke is playing at home. ��

Goodness thanks! I was listening to the end of the UVA game on the Duke radio broadcast on the way to the gym (to clear my head after that one!). Our radio guys clearly said the Carolina game was at Wallace Wade Stadium next weekend. They were probably as shocked as me by what happened in Charlottesville and just misspoke.

My bad and thanks for that correction!

Their putrid Tar! Heel! chant is still sickening, but it's good we're playing them there. Would be beyond priceless for our team to shut them up and see their stunned faces on TV. I won't be anywhere near Kenan stadium and that many cheat fans in one place. I'd prefer a root canal.

arnie
10-20-2019, 02:43 PM
I think we all knew this year is a transitional year. Going from a quarterback who was drafted #6 to a quarterback who had played very little was never going to be a walk in the park. On offense we see some good things. Some of the freshman skill players look really good. That gives me hope for our future assuming we can find a really good quarterback to throw to them. Brown being injured on offense hurts the running game. I simply don’t know enough about football to judge our offensive linemen on a long term basis.

The defense has been good. Look at the yardage they gave up yesterday. It’s incredible how many points UVA got from that yardage until you look at the length of their scoring drives. It seems to me the the defense is good enough to win games if the offense does anything.

Bottom line to me is we are one great quarterback and a better offensive line from being an eight or nine win team next year. The most puzzling thing to me is why aren’t top high school quarterbacks lining up to play at Duke. I don’t care that the crowds are small. I believe two of the best in the NFL played at Wyoming and North Dakota something. We need to find and recruit those type of guys.

I’ve been an optimist since the Tom Harp days. It’s good everyone expects more in football now at Duke. Our boards sound just a whinny as every other football school that loses the day before. GO DUKE.

I was optimistic we’d win 7 games with our improved D. However, we are now 12th in total offense and next to last (ahead of only GaT) in ACC passing yards. We’re kidding ourselves if we think our passing game, comprised of OL, QB, WR play and play calling/scheme are going to win upcoming games. It has to be on D (we’re 5th in ACC total defense) and not making mistakes.

devildeac
10-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Agree with much that you say, but I must point out that we play AT carolina on Saturday. Anyone showing up at Wade Saturday will be even lonelier than if Duke is playing at home. 😉

I'd be delighted if a buncha cheater fans showed up at WW this Saturday...

...and had a parachutist join them...

:rolleyes:;)

PDDuke85
10-20-2019, 03:12 PM
No argument that the overall quality of football recruitment since Cutcliffe’s arrival has vastly improved. Recruitment and quality of play on the field is very much a reflection of the quality of position coaches. Remember the D line before Ben Albert? In time, I look for continued improvement of the receivers play under Trooper Taylor. Can Duke look to improve coaching on the offensive side of the ball? I feel there can and should be a look to upgrade the O line and overall offensive coordination.That said, I think Cuts ability to bring in the best is hamstrung by tight purse strings and well documented loyalty.

For Duke to continue to improve in recruitment, I believe they’re going to need to improve certain elements of the coaching staff.

rtnorthrup
10-20-2019, 03:21 PM

The honest answer to this question is YES, this is probably our program's ceiling. The administration simply isn't willing to compete in the marketplace that is big time college football. I think someone previously indicated that they, as a fan, aren't willing to have Duke sell out to do what it takes to be a consistent Top 25 program. From a spending perspective, I think Duke is conservative on what it is going to commit to the FB program knowing that there is a glass ceiling for small private schools and sustained success relating to college football. We don't have a football culture or a a significant gameday experience that would create a return on investment. The trustees are probably comfortable making bowl games regularly and cashing the ACC Network TV share each year. That isnt to say some years won't be better than others. This was always going to be a transition year. On offense we are young and/or inexperienced at key positions. Our defense is good to very-good. Think Duke will always have a high week-to-week variance. We are what we are.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-20-2019, 03:26 PM

Yes, definite correlation - not precise, not exact, but definitely a correlation. And I would not so much say "fanbase" as size of average FB crowds. Just as Cameron is a huge key in the entire preception of the Duke BB program, and a big time aid in recruiting - great atmospheres are very important for FB too....and most of the best atmospheres are in the huge stadiums where big crowds are normal.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-20-2019, 03:33 PM
The honest answer to this question is YES, this is probably our program's ceiling. The administration simply isn't willing to compete in the marketplace that is big time college football.

I agree with your answer, that yes, this may be the ceiling. The peak may go down in history as the 2013 season and the thrilling and memorable, even if unsuccessful, performance in the Peach Bowl on national TV and packed stadium.

But I don't agree that it's got much of anything to do with the administration's willingness to compete. Small private schools have a low ceiling in FB. Two larger private schools, USC and Miami, have the potential to have high ceiling (and have of course) - because by accident of name, they are the two private schools that enjoy that extremely valuable "University of" perception among the local population that has nothing official to do with the school. That's what puts butts in the seats whenever these schools are good. (Oddly enough, until the cheats grew as a university, Duke had some of that cache in NC. Thus the old photos of big crowds in Wade.)

But both USC and Miami will show much faster bleeding of fan support when they are not good, compared to mega sized universities.

Reilly
10-20-2019, 03:37 PM
... and had a parachutist join them ...

Hah -- had forgotten that one ... and think I was there when it happened ...

uh_no
10-20-2019, 04:45 PM
I'd be delighted if a buncha cheater fans showed up at WW this Saturday...

...and had a parachutist join them...

:rolleyes:;)

wouldn't be the first time the heels didn't know where the game was...a tradition going back to the first edition!

devilirium
10-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Harris had a bad game, but let me say it's easy to have a bad game when the line gives you no time, the receivers can't hold onto the ball, and the running backs fumble them. It was a team effort.

I thought the refs made some terrible calls, not overall just a few blown calls I thought. Virginia didn't need any help though, kudos to them.

Virginia finally decided to start throwing on their first touchdown drive I believe. It's like teams want to try to run against Duke just to prove they can even when they can throw at will. I believe it took 4 passes to set up the touchdown run.

I hope Blackwell is okay, but I thought the freshman who came in for him played great! He even GASP, looked for the ball. I guess he hasn't been there long enough to be taught to not to yet.

Parker had a great game and not just the two 1st downs he ran for. Score could have been worse if not for his punts.

Agree on the DB's. That was nice to see. QH has also been instructed to get it out of the hands as quickly as possible on some reads, and at times he took off (with some success) even when the pressure wasn't there. If your QB is uncertain and the WR's cannot create separation then it's a matter of time until things implode. Cut highlighted improved blocking and tackling. How about ball security? Two games and six turnovers just over halfway through the year. Give yourself a chance. May want to research other ball security drills if practice hasn't revealed these deficiencies.

gep
10-20-2019, 05:12 PM
No argument that the overall quality of football recruitment since Cutcliffe’s arrival has vastly improved. Recruitment and quality of play on the field is very much a reflection of the quality of position coaches. Remember the D line before Ben Albert? In time, I look for continued improvement of the receivers play under Trooper Taylor. Can Duke look to improve coaching on the offensive side of the ball? I feel there can and should be a look to upgrade the O line and overall offensive coordination.That said, I think Cuts ability to bring in the best is hamstrung by tight purse strings and well documented loyalty.

For Duke to continue to improve in recruitment, I believe they’re going to need to improve certain elements of the coaching staff.

With all of the hand-wringing on the OC and play calling, if Coach Cut continues with his loyalty... well... not sure Duke will get much better offensively. Sadly...

ChillinDuke
10-20-2019, 06:25 PM
With all the negativity in this thread (and by and large, I grant that it's pretty civil negativity), I just want to point out that DBR has a long history of posters that frequently prove the mantra: it's never as bad as your last loss or as great as your last win.

We got smoked. It happens. We're still 4-3. And while I have questions just like many of you, concepts like Duke being "consistently top 25" just seem over the top to talk about right now. Let's make (yet another) bowl game and keep this train moving.

- Chillin