PDA

View Full Version : Another Example of "The Carolina Way"

DUKIE V(A)
10-01-2019, 02:14 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27743266/north-carolina-regrets-taunting-clemson-fans

Yet another example of UNC's lack of class. Disrespectful but not surprising. Their apology rings a bit hollow for me given their lack of remorse for 20 plus years of cheating.

PackMan97
10-01-2019, 02:16 PM
...but Carolina didn't cheat. They upheld their athletes to the same academic rigor they hold all their other students.

tbyers11
10-01-2019, 02:22 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27743266/north-carolina-regrets-taunting-clemson-fans

Yet another example of UNC's lack of class. Disrespectful but not surprising. Their apology rings a bit hollow for me given their lack of remorse for 20 plus years of cheating.

I detest UNC and their fans for their long-term cheating and lack of acknowledgment of said cheating.

However, I have to admit that I actually found the captions to be quite funny. Perhaps it shouldn't come directly from the school on the Jumbotron but if the Cameron Crazies or Wade Wackos (does that name still exist) wrote these suggesting that Clemson had a lot of bandwagon fans I think most of us would find them funny.

uh_no
10-01-2019, 02:38 PM
I detest UNC and their fans for their long-term cheating and lack of acknowledgment of said cheating.

However, I have to admit that I actually found the captions to be quite funny. Perhaps it shouldn't come directly from the school on the Jumbotron but if the Cameron Crazies or Wade Wackos (does that name still exist) wrote these suggesting that Clemson had a lot of bandwagon fans I think most of us would find them funny.

see, but that doesn't really make sense in this context....the people that are there are likely to be serious clemson fans, and further, the department should be encouraging people to come out to the game....leave the ribbing to the fans themselves.

While I would find the captions funny if posted here, I'd be embarrassed if duke threw that up on the scoreboard. I don't even think it's the jokes themselves, but the tying them to actually people in the stands makes it personal, and that's over the line.

If I were at, say, WF for a game, and they had something like "duke fan facts" and listed them off, such as "duke fans can't remember their bball coach's whole last name" I'd find it amusing....but if they had a camera on me and said "too dumb to remember more than first letter of coaches name" I'd be like....WTH? That's the line, when you attribute what otherwise would be harmless jibes to real people at the game.

chrishoke
10-01-2019, 02:41 PM
...but Carolina didn't cheat. They upheld their athletes to the same academic rigor they hold all their other students.

As a double UNC graduate I resemble that remark.

westwall
10-01-2019, 02:43 PM
I have to admit that I actually found the captions to be quite funny. .... I think most of us would find them funny.

Sorry. I just find them head-scratching, as well as tasteless.

tbyers11
10-01-2019, 02:47 PM
see, but that doesn't really make sense in this context...the people that are there are likely to be serious clemson fans, and further, the department should be encouraging people to come out to the game...leave the ribbing to the fans themselves.

While I would find the captions funny if posted here, I'd be embarrassed if duke threw that up on the scoreboard. I don't even think it's the jokes themselves, but the tying them to actually people in the stands makes it personal, and that's over the line.

If I were at, say, WF for a game, and they had something like "duke fan facts" and listed them off, such as "duke fans can't remember their bball coach's whole last name" I'd find it amusing...but if they had a camera on me and said "too dumb to remember more than first letter of coaches name" I'd be like...WTH? That's the line, when you attribute what otherwise would be harmless jibes to real people at the game.

I agree with nearly everything you said. Which is why I literally said that "perhaps it shouldn't come directly from the school on the Jumbotron" in my post

75Crazie
10-01-2019, 02:49 PM
When I saw the thread title, I was hoping for some real meat here. And while I am disappointed at the banality of the subject, it does illustrate a point. Given the volume of actions over time that uNC should feel some responsibility to apologize for, this is the one they follow through on?

RPS
10-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Sorry. I just find them head-scratching, as well as tasteless.
I guess you don't want to go back to The Chronicle's annual ACC All-Ugly Team "honors" then?

UrinalCake
10-01-2019, 03:13 PM
The only one I had a problem with was the one making fun of the guy’s weight. Too much of a personal attack, and who knows if the man had some kind of medical condition.

chrishoke
10-01-2019, 03:38 PM
U G L Y, you ain't got no alibi you're ugly, Carolina ugly!

DUKIECB
10-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Look I hate those turds as much as anyone but I thought that was just some good natured ribbing and found it quite funny.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2019, 04:15 PM
If I could stand two paces away from Dean Smith, and yell for him to eat excrement at the top of my lungs, it's hard for me to get worked up about this.

moonpie23
10-01-2019, 04:28 PM
getting stopped on the 2pt conversion was an apology itself...

HereBeforeCoachK
10-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Look I hate those turds as much as anyone but I thought that was just some good natured ribbing and found it quite funny.

I have no problem with the concept...I just thought they whiffed for the most part. I mean, Kenan has it's first sell out in many years, and they are insinuating that it's the Clemson football fans who had recently jumped on the bandwagon? That's absurd. Clemson has put 70-80 thousand in Frank's place for many many years, and there's no population base that's close. Clemson fans are some of the most loyal and knowledgable FB fans in the ACC. I say that as someone with Duke and S. Carolina ties...

Besides, with the history of the Cameron Crazies and their insults......(most of which I loved)

AGDukesky
10-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Not a big deal but also not particularly funny

OldPhiKap
10-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Not a big deal but also not particularly funny

Kinda like Adam Sandler or Norm Macdonald.

elvis14
10-01-2019, 10:10 PM
I know lots of Clemson fans that went to the game. My best friend brought a group of 8 up from SC to go to the UNCheat game. Nobody cares about UNCheat's sense of humor. We are pissed that our team played like crap. I'm personally pissed because I despise UNCheat athletics and wanted to see the Tigers hang 70 on them and Dabo's boys showed up and laid an egg.

rsvman
10-01-2019, 10:33 PM

Hmm..... Kinda heresy to lump those two together, IMO.

tteettimes
10-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Hmm.... Kinda heresy to lump those two together, IMO.

I much prefer Norm

devildeac
10-01-2019, 11:16 PM
I know lots of Clemson fans that went to the game. My best friend brought a group of 8 up from SC to go to the UNCheat game. Nobody cares about UNCheat's sense of humor. We are pissed that our team played like crap. I'm personally pissed because I despise UNCheat athletics and wanted to see the Tigers hang 70 on them and Dabo's boys showed up and laid an egg.

Ha! I was hoping for about that number, too. Great minds and all that stuff...

;)

CameronBlue
10-02-2019, 03:08 AM
Hmm... Kinda heresy to lump those two together, IMO.

Only when you also include the descriptor "talented actors" in the same sentence. If instead you include "no talent hacks" I think they are quite suitably paired.

left_hook_lacey
10-02-2019, 06:53 AM

Whoa guy. Norm MacDonald is a top 5 comedian of all time.

Adam Sandler is a mildly funny guy that makes goofy movies that cater to the meta of the world.

Those two don't belong in the same sentence when comparing who's funny and who's not.

Norm is a genius, and is the guy that comics think is one of the funniest people alive.

Edit: forgot to stay on topic. I thought the concept of what UNC did at the game was funny, but they could've come up with better jokes. Everyone is so darn sensitive.

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Adam Sandler is a mildly funny guy that makes goofy movies that cater to the meta of the world.

Those two don't belong in the same sentence when comparing who's funny and who's not.

Norm is a genius, and is the guy that comics think is one of the funniest people alive.

Edit: forgot to stay on topic. I thought the concept of what UNC did at the game was funny, but they could've come up with better jokes. Everyone is so darn sensitive.

Definitely in my top 3 of SNL News Anchors

OldPhiKap
10-02-2019, 11:46 AM
I am just not on the Norm McDonald train at all. C'est la vie.

75Crazie
10-02-2019, 04:35 PM
While I fall on the side that sees talent in the guy … this contention is just not sustainable. A good comedian, yes … but he does not come close to belonging on the Comedians' Mt. Rushmore.

AGDukesky
10-02-2019, 04:46 PM
While I fall on the side that sees talent in the guy … this contention is just not sustainable. A good comedian, yes … but he does not come close to belonging on the Comedians' Mt. Rushmore.

Not even the Canadian version of Mt Rushmore

WiJoe
10-02-2019, 04:59 PM

yeah, whoa, guy.

top 5? hahahahahahahaha

https://wealthygorilla.com/funniest-stand-up-comedians/

jv001
10-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Why would I be surprised about anything the cheats do. They created a false concept of "The Carolina Way" for decades. Making themselves out to be an honorable basketball program under the guidance of Mr. Clean, Dean Smith. While in fact they are the biggest frauds that ever bounced a basketball. If they had played by the rules, they would not be considered one of the top five basketball programs of all time. The caption that got me was the one about the fans thinking Clemson is in GA not SC. This coming from the university that graduated some basketball players that probably couldn't spell their own names. GTHC!!
GoDuke!

arnie
10-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Why would I be surprised about anything the cheats do. They created a false concept of "The Carolina Way" for decades. Making themselves out to be an honorable basketball program under the guidance of Mr. Clean, Dean Smith. While in fact they are the biggest frauds that ever bounced a basketball. If they had played by the rules, they would not be considered one of the top five basketball programs of all time. The caption that got me was the one about the fans thinking Clemson is in GA not SC. This coming from the university that graduated some basketball players that probably couldn't spell their own names. GTHC!!
GoDuke!

Think you’re a little hard on the Cheats. I’m convinced all incoming b-ball players learn to spell Mikael Jurden early and often.

DeweyDevil
10-04-2019, 02:43 PM
The Washington Wizards did the same thing years ago when they played Miami.
https://wapo.st/1aqK6oq

Reddevil
10-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Think you’re a little hard on the Cheats. I’m convinced all incoming b-ball players learn to spell Mikael Jurden early and often.

Kids today see Michael Jordan the same way my generation sees Jerry West - just a logo. They spell Michael Jordan J-O-R-D-A-N B-R-A-N-D.

OldPhiKap
10-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Kids today see Michael Jordan the same way my generation sees Jerry West - just a logo. They spell Michael Jordan J-O-R-D-A-N B-R-A-N-D.

"Dad, isn't that the bald guy that sells underwear on TV?"

CameronBlue
10-04-2019, 03:27 PM
"Dad, isn't that the bald guy that sells underwear on TV?"

Dad: Yes
Son: Thought I recognized him:

knicknut
10-06-2019, 11:37 PM
I think St. John's did this exact thing during one of their games against Duke in MSG a few years ago. I figured it was a common trope.

I chuckled at the time. It's not excessively clever, but hardly offensive.