PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football Coaching Carousel 2019

DU82
09-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Rutgers has fired head coach Chris Ash, and OC John McNulty. They've promoted Tight Ends coach Nunzio Campanile as interim HC through the end of the year.

The fan base really wants Greg Schiano to return them to their "glory" days of the mid 2000s. Schiano quit as a Pats assistant a couple of weeks into his stint. Rumors have it that he and Belichick agreed to Schiano leaving after he indicated that he would likely want to take the Rutgers job after the college season (while the NFL season was still going strong.)

The Rutgers cry for Schiano reminds me of the WBB cry for 12 years to get Coach G back. The second time rarely works out great.

Reilly
09-29-2019, 06:57 PM
... The second time rarely works out great.

Mitch Daniels disagrees.

How many second acts have there been? Bill Walsh at Stanford. Joe Gibbs w/ Redskins (and 2 playoff seasons in 4 years w/ Dan Snyder is more of an accomplishment than 4 SBowl appearances in 12 years w/ Jack Kent Cooke (and no salary cap)). Does Bobby Cremins count? Wonder how Mack will make out (so far, so good, it seems). And every movie under the sun is a remake so somebody is getting paid ....

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-29-2019, 07:00 PM
The second time rarely works out great.
Let’s hope that’s the case over at the Dump.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2019, 10:02 PM
Mitch Daniels disagrees.

How many second acts have there been? Bill Walsh at Stanford. Joe Gibbs w/ Redskins (and 2 playoff seasons in 4 years w/ Dan Snyder is more of an accomplishment than 4 SBowl appearances in 12 years w/ Jack Kent Cooke (and no salary cap)). Does Bobby Cremins count? Wonder how Mack will make out (so far, so good, it seems). And every movie under the sun is a remake so somebody is getting paid ...
And don’t forget the late Billy Martin. He had second, third, fourth and more acts.

DU82
09-29-2019, 10:14 PM
And don’t forget the late Billy Martin. He had second, third, fourth and more acts.

And didn’t win again.

jaytoc
09-30-2019, 10:16 AM
As for successful second acts in college coaching, Bill ("Don't call me Dan") Snyder had a pretty fair second run at K-State, following a great first stint there.

DukieInKansas
09-30-2019, 10:31 AM
As for successful second acts in college coaching, Bill ("Don't call me Dan") Snyder had a pretty fair second run at K-State, following a great first stint there.

Great guy that taught Sunday School at my church told the kids that Bill Snyder was always an acceptable answer in class. :D

Turk
09-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Great guy that taught Sunday School at my church told the kids that Bill Snyder was always an acceptable answer in class. :D

Wait, what? I'm not sure I see the practical application here.

Q: "Who betrayed Jesus with a kiss?"
A: "Bill Snyder!"

I guess that's one way to keep the kids paying attention...

Turk
09-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Rutgers has fired head coach Chris Ash, and OC John McNulty. They've promoted Tight Ends coach Nunzio Campanile as interim HC through the end of the year.

The fan base really wants Greg Schiano to return them to their "glory" days of the mid 2000s. Schiano quit as a Pats assistant a couple of weeks into his stint. Rumors have it that he and Belichick agreed to Schiano leaving after he indicated that he would likely want to take the Rutgers job after the college season (while the NFL season was still going strong.)

The Rutgers cry for Schiano reminds me of the WBB cry for 12 years to get Coach G back. The second time rarely works out great.

When Schiano coached Tampa Bay, he was run out of town for being a bullying egomaniac. I'm guessing Schiano "quit" the Pats after he found out Belicheat wouldn't put up with his nonsense. I wouldn't want my kid playing for Schiano.

Gossip in Pittsburgh is that Rutgers wants to see if they can pry Narduzzi from Pitt because "the Big Ten, duh." Good luck with that.

budwom
09-30-2019, 12:02 PM
When Schiano coached Tampa Bay, he was run out of town for being a bullying egomaniac. I'm guessing Schiano "quit" the Pats after he found out Belicheat wouldn't put up with his nonsense. I wouldn't want my kid playing for Schiano.

Gossip in Pittsburgh is that Rutgers wants to see if they can pry Narduzzi from Pitt because "the Big Ten, duh." Good luck with that.

Ha, Rutgers must have seen Narduzzi totally botch the Penn State game by going for a FG from the one yard line (down 7) and figure "this is our guy."

DukieInKansas
09-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Wait, what? I'm not sure I see the practical application here.

Q: "Who betrayed Jesus with a kiss?"
A: "Bill Snyder!"

I guess that's one way to keep the kids paying attention...

It really annoyed some folks when we had a Bible Trivia event (fundraiser for mission trip) and the question asked was "According to Mark ***, what is always an acceptable answer?" Most of the kids on the teams had been in his class at one time so they knew but the all adult teams were mostly clueless.

DU82
09-30-2019, 01:14 PM

What I get from reading on the Rutgers forums is that since they're "the birthplace", they have delusions of being this great athletic program and anybody should be lucky to work/play for them, except for the 1-bad administration and 2-evil sports writers who hate RU. The reality is that they're one of the worst programs overall in the Power Five. I did see one recent article that, based on results, Pitt was at the bottom, but Rutgers was either next or third from the bottom.

(One niece works for RU, and another used to, so I get some inside info on occasion.)

sagegrouse
12-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Steve Addazio fired by Boston College after seven seasons -- 44-44 overall, 22-34 in the ACC. He had previously been head coach at Temple.

BC was 4-4 in the ACC this year and 6-6 overall. Only one conference loss by more than seven points (Clemson, natch). Worst loss? To Kansas at home, 48-24.

Some sentiment that AD Martin Jarmond (ex-hoopster at UNC-W) and Father Leahy, president, were thinking of making a change a year ago.

Bob Green
12-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Per Twitter, Matt Luke will be fired by Ole Miss.

Acymetric
12-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Per Twitter, Matt Luke will be fired by Ole Miss.

Would love to welcome him back as OC/OL Coach.

Reilly
12-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Here's a tracker: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coaching-carousel-tracker-grades-analysis-on-2019-20-hires-changes/

Had missed the Bob Davie news.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-02-2019, 06:12 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

In related news, Muschamp demoted one and fired two assistants at SC.

sagegrouse
12-02-2019, 08:54 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

In related news, Muschamp demoted one and fired two assistants at SC.

Tom Herman at Texas (7-5 in 2019) did something similar, firing his defensive coordinator and two of the passing game/receivers coaches.

budwom
12-02-2019, 09:05 AM

yes, that would be a VERY good move, though I am not optimistic.
It would also enable Luke to grab another HC job in the future if he put in some good years at Duke...

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2019, 09:29 AM
yes, that would be a VERY good move, though I am not optimistic.
It would also enable Luke to grab another HC job in the future if he put in some good years at Duke...

Get him now, and he takes over when Cut retires. :p

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2019, 09:35 AM
NCSU is looking for a new DC; they just fired Huxtable. I don't know how Doeren's seat is doing, but it has to be getting pretty warm. Apparently not warm enough, but I'd imagine that 2020 will be his last without some success.

Pghdukie
12-02-2019, 10:06 AM
If Southern Cal fires Clay Helton, will they talk Urban Meyer out of retirement ? Will Helton return to Duke ?

Acymetric
12-02-2019, 10:30 AM
If Southern Cal fires Clay Helton, will they talk Urban Meyer out of retirement ? Will Helton return to Duke ?

I can't imagine Meyer wants a piece of USC. They would have to pay up big time to lure him from his cushy broadcast gig into that mess.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2019, 11:48 AM
NCSU is looking for a new DC; they just fired Huxtable. I don't know how Doeren's seat is doing, but it has to be getting pretty warm. Apparently not warm enough, but I'd imagine that 2020 will be his last without some success.

I just figured out that he had two back to back nine win seasons before this year. Not sure why I thought they hadn't done nearly that well. Maybe it's just because the Raleigh fan base can be extra sensitive when it comes to success. ;p
Anyway, with that record, I can't imagine Doeren going anywhere anytime soon, even if next year is a bust, too.

arnie
12-02-2019, 11:57 AM
I just figured out that he had two back to back nine win seasons before this year. Not sure why I thought they hadn't done nearly that well. Maybe it's just because the Raleigh fan base can be extra sensitive when it comes to success. ;p
Anyway, with that record, I can't imagine Doeren going anywhere anytime soon, even if next year is a bust, too.

Doeren success largely due to Drinkwitz, his OC until this year. When Drink moved to Happy Appy, the State offensive execution not happy.

BD80
12-02-2019, 01:24 PM
... When Drink moved to Happy Appy, the State offensive execution not happy.

It got crappy snappy?

wsb3
12-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Chris Petersen steps down.

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-head-coach-chris-petersen-steps-down-after-6-seasons-185758540.html

sagegrouse
12-02-2019, 05:32 PM
Chris Petersen steps down.

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-head-coach-chris-petersen-steps-down-after-6-seasons-185758540.html

UDub coach Petersen had a 54-26 record, two conference titles and one CFP appearance. Previously coached at Boise State.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2019, 06:30 PM
UDub coach Petersen had a 54-26 record, two conference titles and one CFP appearance. Previously coached at Boise State.

Maybe he got a phone call from David Tepper.

Bob Green
12-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Maybe he got a phone call from David Tepper.

Petersen is taking an administrative position with UW. He is stepping down from coaching due to burnout.

SoCalDukeFan
12-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Doeren success largely due to Drinkwitz, his OC until this year. When Drink moved to Happy Appy, the State offensive execution not happy.

Coordinators are very important in today's college football.

At USC some fans are glued to the Internet expecting news on Helton. It would seem that if Helton was keeping his job, USC could announce it. Speculation is that they are negotiating the exit package for him and his assistants. Or it could be the they are giving Helton an ultimatum to fire the DC and STC or else he goes. Or maybe trying to line up a replacement before canning Helton. Who knows?

SoCal

BD80
12-02-2019, 07:59 PM

It was time for him to retire ...

SoCalDukeFan
12-02-2019, 08:54 PM
It was time for him to retire ...

Petersen is only 55 years old. Probably burned out now but I would not be surprised if he is coaching somewhere in a year or two.

Who knows, he may be coming to USC.

SoCal

BD80
12-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Petersen is only 55 years old. Probably burned out now but I would not be surprised if he is coaching somewhere in a year or two.

Who knows, he may be coming to USC.

SoCal

Forgot my sarcasm emoji, a play on the suggestion Cut should retire after turning the Duke program around.

CameronBornAndBred
12-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Greg Schiano back to Rutgers.

Acymetric
12-03-2019, 02:10 PM
Greg Schiano back to Rutgers.

Sounds like they had to make a bunch of commitments to bring him back (salary upgrades for assistants, facility upgrades, etc).

CrazyNotCrazie
12-03-2019, 02:14 PM
Sounds like they had to make a bunch of commitments to bring him back (salary upgrades for assistants, facility upgrades, etc).

They were having detailed conversations with him, they fell through, lots of people raised a huge stink (including former Duke beat writer Steve Politi and politicians I believe up to and including the governor), and they made nice with Schiano and made it work. Now he has to build around a relatively bare cupboard, though NJ typically has a surprisingly good talent pool and he has the full endorsement of the state's HS coaches.

budwom
12-03-2019, 02:47 PM
They were having detailed conversations with him, they fell through, lots of people raised a huge stink (including former Duke beat writer Steve Politi and politicians I believe up to and including the governor), and they made nice with Schiano and made it work. Now he has to build around a relatively bare cupboard, though NJ typically has a surprisingly good talent pool and he has the full endorsement of the state's HS coaches.

as an aside, I'm disappointed Duke no longer recruits NJ as successfully as we once did...as you say, LOTS of talent there, with good academics, and Duke is a known entity.

ehdg
12-03-2019, 03:16 PM

From what I heard it was the AD Hobbs didn't really want Schiano. He originally was even going to interview him till a lot of Alums with money and power complained. Then when Hobbs made the negotiations difficult and leaked stuff that I heard wasn't totally true the Alums threatened to withhold their checkbooks and and walk away. Plus a bunch of the previous players under Schiano weren't very happy and voiced it as well. They're was a great opinion piece by Eric Lagrande that was published about it.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-03-2019, 05:22 PM

You know, the thing about Rutgers is that it is "the university of" but due to the odd name, it doesn't have the cache of a state "university of" so it doesn't have the inherent advantages, or so it appears.

Of course, maybe, the U of New Jersey wouldn't have cache anyway. If the stadium is downwind of Camden, that'll hurt attendance.

sbroc012
12-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Wilder out at ODU. He established the program 13 years ago when I was a freshman there. Catapulted to the top of FCS with the play of Heinicke at QB then ODU made the jump to FBS quickly. Did ok the first year or so and led them to 10 wins and a bowl win in 2015. Ever since been downhill. Didn't beat a FBS team this year and the new stadium was mostly empty by the end of the season. They definitely have aggressive schedule with playing VT and UVA the same year. Names being tossed around are Zohn, young Beamer, maybe Adazzio.

SoCalDukeFan
12-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Per a tweet from the AD.

I have not seen a fan base so upset since Tom Butters kept Coach K. Actually with social media today probably more upset.

SoCal

BigWayne
12-06-2019, 04:03 AM
Tedford out at Fresno State due to health concerns.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fresno-state-coach-jeff-tedford-expected-to-step-down-due-to-health-concerns-per-report/

Bob Green
12-07-2019, 06:30 AM
ESPN, citing "sources" says Lane Kiffin to Ole Miss.

wsb3
12-07-2019, 08:14 AM

https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Lane-Kiffin-Ole-Miss-Rebels-football-head-coach-hire-Paul-Finebaum-FAU-139995201/

One thing for certain. It won't be boring at Ole Miss.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Will he have a handler to keep him out of trouble?;)

throatybeard
12-07-2019, 03:05 PM

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂🤣😂🔥😂🤣😂🤣😂😂🔥😂

CrazyNotCrazie
12-07-2019, 10:16 PM
FSU is hiring Mike Norvell from Memphis. He is only 38 but has done a very impressive job at Memphis. But expectations will be much, much higher at FSU - good luck to him.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28246814/sources-mike-norvell-agrees-deal-become-florida-state-coach

HereBeforeCoachK
12-08-2019, 06:36 AM
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂🤣😂🔥😂🤣😂🤣😂😂🔥😂

I"m telling you, this is going to end up being a very good hire. Lane has grown up a lot. Just watch......

arnie
12-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Lots of speculation on Drinkwitz leaving App to either Mizzou or Arkansas. Very bright young coach that loved the Triangle area.

Thought long term thought he may be a great fit for Duke, but his rep has skyrocketed past our program.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Lots of speculation on Drinkwitz leaving App to either Mizzou or Arkansas. Very bright young coach that loved the Triangle area.

Thought long term thought he may be a great fit for Duke, but his rep has skyrocketed past our program.
Bummer for App if true, wasn't this his first year?

HereBeforeCoachK
12-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Yes it was....after a few at NCSU as OC.

arnie
12-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Not gone yet, but I’m expecting it.

arnie
12-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Not gone yet, but I’m expecting it.

Well I posted too quickly, he apparently has now agreed to terms with Mizzou. I think the Tigers will like their hire.

BlueDevil16
12-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Don't see Mizzou being a SEC powerhouse anytime soon and Arkansas has to face A&M, Bama, Auburn, and LSU each season. As bad as the Duke football program and history is, I'm not sure taking a bottom of the barrel SEC job is a better long term option for him. If Duke gets serious and ponies up some money for the next HC, we shouldn't have incredibly low expectations.

Reddevil
12-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Per a tweet from the AD.

I have not seen a fan base so upset since Tom Butters kept Coach K. Actually with social media today probably more upset.

SoCal

I'm almost willing to bet a pie that Urban Meyer will coach the Cowboys next year which is why the USC rumors quickly died.

dudog84
12-09-2019, 06:02 PM

I want him just for the name.

rtnorthrup
12-10-2019, 03:57 PM
In my pipe dream I thought we might approach Chad Morris as OC, but alas, pipe dream up in smoke.

Bob Green
12-10-2019, 04:31 PM
In my pipe dream I thought we might approach Chad Morris as OC, but alas, pipe dream up in smoke.

Matt Luke hired as OL Coach at Georgia so another pipe dream up in smoke. I fear we are looking at the Zac Roper era continuing.

cspan37421
12-10-2019, 04:47 PM

With a name like that, you gotta think Wisconsin is in the mix. [obviously not open, but still, the shoe fits]

rtnorthrup
12-10-2019, 04:50 PM
Matt Luke hired as OL Coach at Georgia so another pipe dream up in smoke. I fear we are looking at the Zac Roper era continuing.

In my pipe dreams, Cut goes outside his coaching tree for a fresh new approach to the offense.

jv001
12-10-2019, 04:51 PM

I'm afraid the nightmare will continue. Maybe I'll wake up and Zac is the new OC over the hill in Cheatville. We wouldn't have to worry about the cheats knowing our plays because they don't work anyway. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
12-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Grasping at straws moment -- is it possible that Cut is talking to someone, but waiting until after they finish with their bowl-eligible team? Thus also giving Roper some time to find a soft landing?

I feel like this is the "disbelief" or "bargaining" stage of my grief cycle. Acceptance may come hard absent some idea that things will improve.

jv001
12-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Grasping at straws moment -- is it possible that Cut is talking to someone, but waiting until after they finish with their bowl-eligible team? Thus also giving Roper some time to find a soft landing?

I feel like this is the "disbelief" or "bargaining" stage of my grief cycle. Acceptance may come hard absent some idea that things will improve.

That could be the case. Coach Cut is loyal to his staff and he may want Roper to find his next job before he's fired. You and I may both be in the disbelief or bargaining stage of our grief cycle. In any case, I hope Cut is not loyal to the detriment of the team.
GoDuke!

Bob Green
12-10-2019, 05:08 PM
In my pipe dreams, Cut goes outside his coaching tree for a fresh new approach to the offense.

I don’t disagree with you but at this point I just want to see someone new as the OC.

rtnorthrup
12-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Anything is possible. I think I read somewhere that Cut wants to go back to an early Spring Football period. If he is going to maybe staff changes I would hope they are done prior to spring practice.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2019, 05:41 PM
That could be the case. Coach Cut is loyal to his staff and he may want Roper to find his next job before he's fired. You and I may both be in the disbelief or bargaining stage of our grief cycle. In any case, I hope Cut is not loyal to the detriment of the team.
GoDuke!

I have the same hope, and no reason to believe that he does not have the best interests of the team as his prime goal. If he keeps someone despite the protests of us fans, I would imagine it is because Cut thinks the guy can get it done -- our disagreement notwithstanding.

arnie
12-10-2019, 05:50 PM
I have the same hope, and no reason to believe that he does not have the best interests of the team as his prime goal. If he keeps someone despite the protests of us fans, I would imagine it is because Cut thinks the guy can get it done -- our disagreement notwithstanding.

Or he doesn’t think it’s worth the trouble/pain to do anything. Hope that’s not the case, but it’s not like he’s under pressure to win and may feel Roper is as good as anyone else available.

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Exactly. I keep seeing familiar names tossed out as possible replacements, but I'm not on board with that at all. This ain't basketball where coaching trees are far more close knit. Get a coach that excites you, not one that makes you feel the most comfortable.

I fear we are looking at Roper again for the sole reason that he is still there. The time to make the move is drifting past, and quickly.

OldPhiKap
12-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Or he doesn’t think it’s worth the trouble/pain to do anything. Hope that’s not the case, but it’s not like he’s under pressure to win and may feel Roper is as good as anyone else available.

True, although I don’t get the sense that Cut rolls like that. I don’t discount your point, though, that entropy is a damn powerful force in the universe. Plus, a body at rest tends to stay at rest and all.

TruBlu
12-10-2019, 06:52 PM
I can’t find it now, but after the Miami game, someone posted that Cut said something to the effect that he had a discussion with his staff prior to the game about the importance of throwing the ball downfield more, and that they had listened.

My fear is that Cut thinks this one-time improvement in play calling is a long term improvement, and that no changes to the staff are necessary. I hope my fears are wrong, and some changes are made.

jafarr1
12-10-2019, 07:09 PM
It’s terribly concerning that it took so many weeks of bad offensive showings for that conversation to happen. I’d love to understand what adjustments the coaching staff thought they were making in prior weeks, because to my admittedly untrained eye, it looked like we were stubbornly running the same game plan until the Miami game.

roywhite
12-10-2019, 07:24 PM
I don’t disagree with you but at this point I just want to see someone new as the OC.

It's a darn shame that Peyton is so busy with those insurance commercials. :o

Acymetric
12-10-2019, 11:16 PM

I might be taking next year off. Duke Football has definitely fallen from priority status (as it has been for basically my entire adult life) to "if I have the time and energy" status. The best thing I've seen at Duke in the last 4 years is the A&T halftime show. Luckily, my family is also big into Duke (including football) so I don't (usually) have to choose between the two, but my enthusiasm which included breathlessly following the gamecast for the Northwestern game in 2007 before everything was streamed online has officially been dampened.

Acymetric
12-10-2019, 11:22 PM

I the same hope and beliefs, but attending Duke football games hasn't been fun for years. You either have to win, play exciting games, or play an exciting brand of football. Duke is opting for none of the above.

Duke79UNLV77
12-10-2019, 11:42 PM
I might be taking next year off. Duke Football has definitely fallen from priority status (as it has been for basically my entire adult life) to "if I have the time and energy" status. The best thing I've seen at Duke in the last 4 years is the A&T halftime show. Luckily, my family is also big into Duke (including football) so I don't (usually) have to choose between the two, but my enthusiasm which included breathlessly following the gamecast for the Northwestern game in 2007 before everything was streamed online has officially been dampened.

So, one season with more than 4 wins in 18 years and averaging about a win a year for about a decade didn’t stop you, but 3 bowl wins in 4 years and barely missing a bowl in the 4th year, after losing a first round QB, has you swearing off Duke football?

Acymetric
12-10-2019, 11:52 PM
So, one season with more than 4 wins in 18 years and averaging about a win a year for about a decade didn’t stop you, but 3 bowl wins in 4 years and barely missing a bowl in the 4th year, after losing a first round QB, has you swearing off Duke football?

Bowl games aren't played at home. I care that we make bowl games, sure, but it doesn't factor in to whether attending home games is a worthwhile experience. I'll still go when the crew is going, but I'm just not sure I have it in me to push people to go when they otherwise wouldn't anymore. It would be like encouraging people to watch the Star Wars Holiday Special. Irresponsible and borderline abusive behavior.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2019, 06:02 AM

Apples and hamburger steak.........it used to be going to a bowl meant a very successful season....bowls were relatively rare. Now going to a minor bowl is the barely acceptable level....thus now missing a bowl means a horrible season. "Barely missing a bowl" as a description for this year is taking rose colored glasses to an entirely new level.

AustinDevil
12-11-2019, 06:31 AM
I the same hope and beliefs, but attending Duke football games hasn't been fun for years. You either have to win, play exciting games, or play an exciting brand of football. Duke is opting for none of the above.

I am in a similar boat, except that being in Texas I’m picking one game to come back for. I was lucky to be there for the Ga Tech game that kickstarted the season-ending winning streak in the weird 4-0, 0-6, 3-0 2017 season. The odds are now far better that I’ll be attending a dud of a home game, however.

Duke79UNLV77
12-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Apples and hamburger steak.....it used to be going to a bowl meant a very successful season...bowls were relatively rare. Now going to a minor bowl is the barely acceptable level...thus now missing a bowl means a horrible season. "Barely missing a bowl" as a description for this year is taking rose colored glasses to an entirely new level.

We only won more than 4 games once in 18 years and averaged about a win a year for about a decade. We wouldn't have been making bowl games by any standard. I get that being mediocre to just pretty good may not excite enough people, but I don't see how one says he or she has been a die hard Duke football fan for decades but the last 4 years have suddenly become too much to bear.

rtnorthrup
12-11-2019, 01:35 PM
We only won more than 4 games once in 18 years and averaged about a win a year for about a decade. We wouldn't have been making bowl games by any standard. I get that being mediocre to just pretty good may not excite enough people, but I don't see how one says he or she has been a die hard Duke football fan for decades but the last 4 years have suddenly become too much to bear.

Nobody who stayed with Duke Football through the 1990s and 2000s should be jumping off the bandwagon now. Just saw a tweet that said Duke won more games in the last decade than in any previous decade. But again, that's still not a complete picture. When Cut was hired, the administration gave him support that simply didnt exist in the previous two decades. Cut was given more money to pay his assistants, the Athletic Department built him indoor and outdoor practice facilities, they upgraded the Yoh and Wade and even lowered admissions standards for his recruits. You have to hold Cut accountable to higher standards than his predecessors.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2019, 01:56 PM

It is absolutely absurd to equate criticism or doubt in a program with "too much to bear." And you are cherry picking the worst 18 years in school history as some kind of baseline for which Cut should be congratulated for improving upon. Some of us criticize precisely BECAUSE we support the team and want the best for the team and the program. Pollyanna never accomplished anything. And yes, we should be consistently MILES ahead of that 18 year period.

Duke79UNLV77
12-11-2019, 02:23 PM
It is absolutely absurd to equate criticism or doubt in a program with "too much to bear." And you are cherry picking the worst 18 years in school history as some kind of baseline for which Cut should be congratulated for improving upon. Some of us criticize precisely BECAUSE we support the team and want the best for the team and the program. Pollyanna never accomplished anything. And yes, we should be consistently MILES ahead of that 18 year period.

Acymetric said he's been going to Duke football games loyally for decades but may need to stop after the last 4 years. That's what I don't understand. I would understand if someone said he or she hasn't been into Duke football games since 1988 or so.

18 years is a pretty broad time frame to call it just cherry picking. It really has a pretty consistent record of not winning a lot over the last 57 years, and the period from 2012 on under Cutcliffe is the best stretch of years in that time frame.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/index.html

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Acymetric said he's been going to Duke football games loyally for decades but may need to stop after the last 4 years. That's what I don't understand. I would understand if someone said he or she hasn't been into Duke football games since 1988 or so.

18 years is a pretty broad time frame to call it just cherry picking. It really has a pretty consistent record of not winning a lot over the last 57 years, and the period from 2012 on under Cutcliffe is the best stretch of years in that time frame.

I don't disagree with any point you made above. That said, Cut had bad years in 2010 and 2011.....his third and fourth seasons. He said through that time that the team and program was getting better, even if the W/L records were not really. And I believed him at the time, and I would say 2012-2015 proved him right. But since then, it's kinda been a lot of down hill.....not straight down hill....but that's the trend for 4 seasons and coming into another season without proven QB. The regular season last four years is 22-26. The previous 4 years reg seasons had something like 32 reg season wins. The peak for Cut so far was December 31 2013 in the Atlanta bowl game, leading Texas A and M 38-17 at half. (shoulda been 42-17 but that's another clock management story).

That peak is now 6 years old....or, exactly half way through his tenure so far. I love Cut, but that's disturbing. I am not for firing Cut by any means....but I am for honest and frank discussion.

Devilsforlife
12-11-2019, 04:12 PM
I don't disagree with any point you made above. That said, Cut had bad years in 2010 and 2011....his third and fourth seasons. He said through that time that the team and program was getting better, even if the W/L records were not really. And I believed him at the time, and I would say 2012-2015 proved him right. But since then, it's kinda been a lot of down hill....not straight down hill...but that's the trend for 4 seasons and coming into another season without proven QB. The regular season last four years is 22-26. The previous 4 years reg seasons had something like 32 reg season wins. The peak for Cut so far was December 31 2013 in the Atlanta bowl game, leading Texas A and M 38-17 at half. (shoulda been 42-17 but that's another clock management story).

That peak is now 6 years old...or, exactly half way through his tenure so far. I love Cut, but that's disturbing. I am not for firing Cut by any means...but I am for honest and frank discussion.

The inflection point for the downturn was undoubtedly the Miami lateral screwjob in 2015. Duke had gone 25-9 since the start of 2013 before that disaster. Since then, our record is 26-30, and only 11-26 in the ACC (10-22 over the last 4 years, the worst mark in the entire league). The offense has also been hapless under Roper's watch, even with a top 10 draft pick at QB for 3 seasons. Cutcliffe did a marvelous job rebuilding the program, and 2013 was nothing short of magical, but the last few years have not been nearly as good.

CameronBornAndBred
12-11-2019, 04:19 PM
I don't disagree with any point you made above. That said, Cut had bad years in 2010 and 2011....his third and fourth seasons. He said through that time that the team and program was getting better, even if the W/L records were not really. And I believed him at the time, and I would say 2012-2015 proved him right. But since then, it's kinda been a lot of down hill....not straight down hill...but that's the trend for 4 seasons and coming into another season without proven QB. The regular season last four years is 22-26. The previous 4 years reg seasons had something like 32 reg season wins. The peak for Cut so far was December 31 2013 in the Atlanta bowl game, leading Texas A and M 38-17 at half. (shoulda been 42-17 but that's another clock management story).

That peak is now 6 years old...or, exactly half way through his tenure so far. I love Cut, but that's disturbing. I am not for firing Cut by any means...but I am for honest and frank discussion.

The inflection point for the downturn was undoubtedly the Miami lateral screwjob in 2015. Duke had gone 25-9 since the start of 2013 before that disaster. Since then, our record is 26-30, and only 11-26 in the ACC (10-22 over the last 4 years, the worst mark in the entire league). The offense has also been hapless under Roper's watch, even with a top 10 draft pick at QB for 3 seasons. Cutcliffe did a marvelous job rebuilding the program, and 2013 was nothing short of magical, but the last few years have not been nearly as good.

There's a thread for all of this.
https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?44349-Is-It-Time-For-Cut-To-Retire
Oh wait...it got locked. :rolleyes:
(I agreee with both of what y'all are saying. And kudos to Cut for being good enough to earn the criticism for being less than good.)

Bob Green
12-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Willie Taggert to FAU per ESPN.

This will be head coaching job number five for Taggert: Western Kentucky, South Florida, Oregon, FSU, FAU.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28276883/sources-fau-hiring-former-fsu-coach-willie-taggart

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2019, 05:29 PM

That Miami game was an inflection point for sure....but I submit that the second half of the 2013 bowl game was an inflection point, that knocked the program off of a truly magical year by national standards....and then the climb back to that was deflected with 2015 Miami. Win either of those games.....let alone both.... no telling.....

That's the odd thing about sports.....sometimes one play changes everything (can you say "tuck rule?).

luvdahops
12-11-2019, 05:41 PM
Willie Taggert to FAU per ESPN.

This will be head coaching job number five for Taggert: Western Kentucky, South Florida, Oregon, FSU, FAU.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28276883/sources-fau-hiring-former-fsu-coach-willie-taggart

And fourth in the last five seasons....

CameronBornAndBred
12-11-2019, 05:47 PM
And fourth in the last five seasons...

Puts a crimp in coaching your recruits...

Bob Green
12-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Steve Addazio to be Colorado State Head Coach.

Devilsforlife
12-11-2019, 08:29 PM
That Miami game was an inflection point for sure...but I submit that the second half of the 2013 bowl game was an inflection point, that knocked the program off of a truly magical year by national standards...and then the climb back to that was deflected with 2015 Miami. Win either of those games....let alone both... no telling....

That's the odd thing about sports....sometimes one play changes everything (can you say "tuck rule?).

The second half against A&M was brutal, but we were a missed Ross Martin 40 yard FG against VT away from repeating as Coastal champions in 2014. The program rebounded from that loss far better than the Miami travesty.

CameronBornAndBred
12-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Notre Dame OC Chip Long is now on the market.
He's gotta be better than Roper, right?:D

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28277843/notre-dame-offensive-coordinator-chip-long-part-ways

Sixthman
12-11-2019, 10:28 PM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28277843/notre-dame-offensive-coordinator-chip-long-part-ways

I had the same thought; our need for new fresh ideas is clear and Long comes from a compelling coaching tree.

SavDukeGrad
12-12-2019, 12:05 AM

That was my reaction, too!

But, I wonder if Long will re-join Mike Norvell at Fla. St.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-12-2019, 05:17 AM
The second half against A&M was brutal, but we were a missed Ross Martin 40 yard FG against VT away from repeating as Coastal champions in 2014. The program rebounded from that loss far better than the Miami travesty.

I don't think I was as clear as I should have been on the second half of the A and M game...that was not so much a downer as it was a missed opportunity to really take a huge step forward....being on national TV with a large audience, packed stadium, exciting high scoring game. It's not so much we had to "recover" from that game, but more that we'll never know where the program might've gone with a win there.

The Miami game was just a downer, a team we should have beaten badly anyway...and then it happens.

Both are inflection points - albeit for very different reasons. And the fact remains, that halftime is the peak of Cut's tenure at Duke thus far. It took him six years to get that far...and now we're six years past it.

Acymetric
12-12-2019, 07:25 AM

You might be assuming I'm older than I am..."decades" is probably an overstatement. I started following Duke football extremely closely in 2006 (but I was living in Ohio at the time), and I've attended most home games and some away/bowl games starting with Roof's last game @ UNC in 2007 (after I moved back to the Triangle).

BlueDevil16
12-14-2019, 02:24 PM
Boston College hiring OSU’s co-DC. Not sure if he’ll be any good, but I don’t want to hear Duke fans exclude us from hires that will require some spending when Cut leaves.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-15-2019, 01:13 PM
....been hoping to see a couple Duke assistants on this carousel.....

Acymetric
02-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Mark Dantonio steps down at Michigan State.

BD80
02-05-2020, 12:04 AM
Mark Dantonio steps down at Michigan State.

Wow! Just before National signing day! Could absolutely wreck this recruiting year for the Spartans.

Acymetric
02-05-2020, 07:17 AM
Wow! Just before National signing day! Could absolutely wreck this recruiting year for the Spartans.

7 of them are already enrolled, and 12 signed their LOI during the early signing period, so not necessarily. I would expect MSU to grant a release to any signed recruit who requests it but they aren't obligated to.