PDA

View Full Version : Ga Tech hit with NCAA post-season ban

JasonEvans
09-26-2019, 12:28 PM
https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/georgia-tech-banned-from-the-2020-ncaa-tournament

The Yellow Jackets have been hit with harsh sanctions due to NCAA violations that occurred during the Josh Pastner era.

Two Georgia Tech boosters allegedly provided impermissible benefits to the men’s basketball program, according to the NCAA.

“Both sets of violations occurred because men’s basketball coaching staff members invited outside individuals into their program,” the committee said. “They permitted these outside individuals to interact with their student-athletes, and those actions resulted in violations.”

The sanctions include:

Four years of probation.
A 2019-20 postseason ban for the men’s basketball team.
A fine of $5,000 plus 2% of the men’s basketball program budget.
A reduction of one men’s basketball scholarship during each year of probation.

A lot of this appears to be directly tied to Pastner. I really wonder how much longer he will be the coach at Tech. He was supposed to come in an recruit the heck out of Atlanta... but he has not signed a single top 150 in-state prospect.

budwom
09-26-2019, 12:36 PM
The postseason ban is as consequential as banning me from the summit of Mount Everest (fine with me, I detest those long lines).

sagegrouse
09-26-2019, 12:42 PM
The postseason ban is as consequential as banning me from the summit of Mount Everest (fine with me, I detest those long lines).

Although it may be enough for Pastner to get the boot.

Acymetric
09-26-2019, 12:44 PM
Although it may be enough for Pastner to get the boot.

Wait, I thought he was already gone. He's still there? Please let him be fired over this, I cannot stand that guy. One of my least favorite coaches in any sport, up there with Seth Greenberg.

CameronBornAndBred
09-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Maybe as far as NCAA/NIT, but it also means they aren't in the play in game for the ACC tourney. :rolleyes:

Acymetric
09-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Maybe as far as NCAA/NIT, but it also means they aren't in the play in game for the ACC tourney. :rolleyes:

That makes the game schedule kind of weird.

Well, weirder than it already is.

DavidBenAkiva
09-26-2019, 12:47 PM
One of the details from this action relates to Duke in a roundabout way.

NBA player Jarrett Jack took Wendell Carter, Jr. to a strip club and paid for the young man's entry.

This, of course, has nothing to do with Duke and how it behaves during official visits, but please be warned there are going to be some hot takes on the internet.

devildeac
09-26-2019, 01:07 PM
"Buyer's remorse" for letting the cheats skate for 23 years (or more) of academic fraud.

Feckless. (What is that now, maybe 6 threads with "feckless" in them? :o)

:mad:

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Wow. The ACC...

Neals384
09-26-2019, 01:21 PM
"Buyer's remorse" for letting the cheats skate for 23 years (or more) of academic fraud.

Feckless. (What is that now, maybe 6 threads with "feckless" in them? :o)

:mad:

Which means there must be a few thread that mention the Cheats without using "feckless." Kinda weird, when you think about it.

devildeac
09-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Which means there must be a few thread that mention the Cheats without using "feckless." Kinda weird, when you think about it.

Agreed. I generally use other more colorful descriptors for those lying, cheating dirtbags, most of which are NSFW. :o

Pghdukie
09-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Cleveland St is moving up in the world. They now have Kansas and GTech as roommates. The Cheats are really laughing their butts off.

hudlow
09-26-2019, 02:19 PM
That makes the game schedule kind of weird.

Well, weirder than it already is.

It will work in The Cheats favor...somehow.

Highlander
09-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Snarky takes from Twitter on this announcement:

"The NIT must be devastated."
"Tough news for the Tuesday ACC Tournament crowd."
"In other news, Dolphins banned from 2020 Super Bowl."
"GT banned themselves from posteason play when they hired Josh Pastner."
"How does one cheat and still suck so bad?"

wobatus
09-26-2019, 03:13 PM

This guy does an ACC season preview every year. His take is usually quite idiosyncratic (or nuts), but he's pretty thorough, and I like that he doesn't follow the consensus. He projected Georgia Tech 7th and making the NCAAs. Before all this, of course. They will probably be a pretty good defensive team.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/2019-ACC-Basketball-Preview

T-Rank projects them to finish 10-10 in ACC play, but in the odd way he does it only favors them in 7 (but a lot of nailbiters):

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Georgia+Tech

dudog84
09-26-2019, 03:53 PM
...invited outside individuals into their program,” the committee said. “They permitted these outside individuals to interact with their student-athletes...

Paging Fats Thomas. Paging Fats Thomas. White courtesy phone please.

AGDukesky
09-26-2019, 05:34 PM
Georgia Tech is apparently the new Cleveland State

CrazyNotCrazie
09-26-2019, 05:52 PM
I have friends who grew up in metro-Atlanta, went to Tech, and still live there. They are convinced that they are a major national program, and that people in Peoria and Boise tune in to watch their games because of their appeal. I try to not sound like a Duke snob while laughing at them. This is the first time in ages that they are actually making national headlines, and it is for the completely wrong reasons. And meanwhile, UGA has built a national powerhouse in football (though they can't get across the goal line to get the title, which would really kill the Tech fans).

Troublemaker
09-26-2019, 05:54 PM
This guy does an ACC season preview every year. His take is usually quite idiosyncratic (or nuts), but he's pretty thorough, and I like that he doesn't follow the consensus. He projected Georgia Tech 7th and making the NCAAs. Before all this, of course. They will probably be a pretty good defensive team.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/2019-ACC-Basketball-Preview

T-Rank projects them to finish 10-10 in ACC play, but in the odd way he does it only favors them in 7 (but a lot of nailbiters):

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Georgia+Tech

Yeah, I kind of was looking at GaTech as a sleeper, too, and would've given them around a 40% shot to make the tourney.

Even though that guy agrees with me on GaTech, it doesn't take much reading in that link to see that his basketball analysis sucks ;-)

miramar
09-26-2019, 06:00 PM
I have friends who grew up in metro-Atlanta, went to Tech, and still live there. They are convinced that they are a major national program, and that people in Peoria and Boise tune in to watch their games because of their appeal. I try to not sound like a Duke snob while laughing at them. This is the first time in ages that they are actually making national headlines, and it is for the completely wrong reasons. And meanwhile, UGA has built a national powerhouse in football (though they can't get across the goal line to get the title, which would really kill the Tech fans).

Maybe they think that Chris Bosh still has three years of eligibility.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2019, 06:04 PM

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why GTech does not have better sports. The ATL is a phenomenal place to live as a young adult. It is a degree from a very good school. They have hotel management and such as majors, so it’s not really/just an academic thing.

Granted, they have made some of the most bone-headed coaching contract decision in football and hoops so maybe I’ve answered my own question. But Jeesh.