PDA

View Full Version : Tre Jones article in The Athletic

curtis325
09-24-2019, 12:46 PM
https://theathletic.com/1236568/2019/09/24/tre-jones-welcomes-chance-to-point-duke-in-the-right-direction/

For those of you who subscibe.

An interesting sentence from the article:

"Krzyzewski wants to play a faster tempo with more possessions to take advantage of the depth on the roster."

Could this mean going 8-deep?

DavidBenAkiva
09-24-2019, 12:57 PM
https://theathletic.com/1236568/2019/09/24/tre-jones-welcomes-chance-to-point-duke-in-the-right-direction/

"Krzyzewski wants to play a faster tempo with more possessions to take advantage of the depth on the roster."

Oh great, a minutes and depth conversation. This will go well.

In all seriousness, I do expect to see a good amount of the roster at the start of the season. Coach K seemed to like having Jones and Goldwire in certain situations to pressure the ball. We should see O'Connell as one of the primary bench players or maybe even starting a game. I fully expect Stanley and Moore to start most or all the games, but maybe O'Connell really does take a leap as a junior. And maybe Joey Baker sees a few minutes at either the wing or in the forward position behind Matthew Hurt. And in the frontcourt, I fully expect to see all 4 of Hurt, Carey (starters), DeLaurier, and White. That's 10 guys. What makes me think that all 10 could play is that the prospective bench guys - Goldwire, O'Connell, Baker, White, and DeLaurier are all experienced guys that Coach K has grown to trust to various degrees. Maybe not Baker per se, but we'll see.

No doubt, the rotation is going to shrink as the season progresses. My guess is that Goldwire and Baker are the most likely to see minutes cut unless they contribute on offense.

uh_no
09-24-2019, 01:52 PM

that'll be the day :D

devildeac
09-24-2019, 02:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU769ErbfxU

UrinalCake
09-24-2019, 02:23 PM
Oh great, a minutes and depth conversation. This will go well.

I think the core rotation by the time we get to January will be

Tre
O’Connell
Moore
Hurt
Carey

With Stanley and Javin off the bench. It’s highly possible that Stanley starts in place of Alex or that Javin starts in place of Hurt. I don’t see Goldwire or Baker playing much in competitive games. White will play some, maybe consider him the “1/2” in a 7.5-man rotation.

scottdude8
09-24-2019, 02:34 PM
I was thinking about minutes and whatnot today based on the quotes coming out of the beginning of the year presser, but didn't want to be the one to open the can of worms. But, now that it's open...

We've all been guilty at some point or another over the past 10 or so years of saying "this is the year Coach K uses the bench!" But by the end of the year it's the same story where only a core 7, maybe 8, are playing double digit MPG.

I do think this year will be different, but not in the traditional sense. Based on our recent history I would never bet that "Duke's going to use an 8+ man bench" in the classic sense of the phrase. But, I will assert this: I think that, at some point or another, 9 different players will have a game where they play 15+ minutes in an ACC game. I DON'T think that necessarily means there will be a balanced, traditional rotation that would lead to our 6-9th guys seeing double digit minutes per game. But our top 9 (and 10 if you include Baker, the wild card) guys all bring something different to the table, and I think at some point or another their unique skills will be necessary in a given game given the situation and matchups.

I think Tre, Carey, Hurt, and Moore are a given to reach this admittedly mild threshold. From what we're hearing about Stanley, him too probably. And we know that Jack and Javin, even if they're coming off the bench, will play big minutes at some point, be it due to freshmen foul trouble, freshmen fatigue, or just K wanting their steady hands down the stretch. I also think that JG will get that extended run at some point when we need a defensive boost (see the Louisville comeback), and Alex when we need something to get us out of a shooting slump. Baker could also do this.

So, forget MPG: I assert that Duke will have 9 players that have at least one ACC game where they play 15+ minutes, and this will be the thing that differentiates this team's depth from previous years.

AZLA
09-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Oh great, a minutes and depth conversation. This will go well. In all seriousness, I do expect to see a good amount of the roster at the start of the season. Coach K seemed to like having Jones and Goldwire in certain situations to pressure the ball. We should see O'Connell as one of the primary bench players or maybe even starting a game. I fully expect Stanley and Moore to start most or all the games, but maybe O'Connell really does take a leap as a junior. And maybe Joey Baker sees a few minutes at either the wing or in the forward position behind Matthew Hurt. And in the frontcourt, I fully expect to see all 4 of Hurt, Carey (starters), DeLaurier, and White. That's 10 guys. What makes me think that all 10 could play is that the prospective bench guys - Goldwire, O'Connell, Baker, White, and DeLaurier are all experienced guys that Coach K has grown to trust to various degrees. Maybe not Baker per se, but we'll see.

No doubt, the rotation is going to shrink as the season progresses. My guess is that Goldwire and Baker are the most likely to see minutes cut unless they contribute on offense.

I know, right? When I saw this thread my internal monologue was, "uh oh, here we go again." Broken record. Pre-season: we're going to run with our athleticism. Mid-Season: Half court offense. End-of-season: Short bench. I'm hoping we run and go deep. But then again Coach K is the best ever so -- whatever happens happens. He is the General. Time to get back to the FF and beyond.

BD80
09-24-2019, 03:25 PM
I think the core rotation by the time we get to January will be

Tre
O’Connell
Moore
Hurt
Carey

With Stanley and Javin off the bench. It’s highly possible that Stanley starts in place of Alex or that Javin starts in place of Hurt. I don’t see Goldwire or Baker playing much in competitive games. White will play some, maybe consider him the “1/2” in a 7.5-man rotation.

I actually commend the board this year for holding off as long as it did this year!

I would appreciate a separate thread that I can most easily ignore, but lasting until autumn is noteworthy and admirable.

Now, if I can make it to October without seeing Halloween decorations, and to Thanksgiving without hearing Christmas carols ...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Now, if I can make it to October without seeing Halloween decorations, and to Thanksgiving without hearing Christmas carols ...

Then you will be a hermit.

scottdude8
09-24-2019, 03:58 PM
I actually commend the board this year for holding off as long as it did this year!

I would appreciate a separate thread that I can most easily ignore, but lasting until autumn is noteworthy and admirable.

Ask and you shall receive ;)

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?44125-The-quot-we-waited-as-long-as-we-could!-quot-Rotation-Minutes-thread-2019-20-Edition&p=1186393#post1186393

DukieInKansas
09-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Read the above then scrolled down to the post below humming the song before I saw it. Great minds, DD! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU769ErbfxU

JayZee
09-24-2019, 05:12 PM
I think the biggest contributor to depth this year is the probable lack of separation between the different players. K likes to lean into his edge. Assuming a smaller gap between Baker/White/Moore/O'Connell/Stanley than say RJ/Cam/O'Connell/White I just see K mixing it up more both intra and inter games.

MChambers
09-24-2019, 05:18 PM
I assume the article is based solely on K's press conference yesterday. Doesn't seem to add anything not Jim's article or the related thread here.

pfrduke
09-24-2019, 05:40 PM
So, forget MPG: I assert that Duke will have 9 players that have at least one ACC game where they play 15+ minutes, and this will be the thing that differentiates this team's depth from previous years.

Except this wouldn’t differentiate this year’s team from previous years. Here are the players with at least 15 minutes in an ACC game (including ACCT) in the past several seasons:

2019 - Williamson, Barrett, Jones, Reddish, Bolden, Delaurier, White, O’Connell, Goldwire
2018 - Bagley, Allen, Duval, Carter, Trent, Delaurier, Bolden, O’Connell, White, Goldwire
2017 - Allen, Tatum, Kennard, Jefferson, Jones, Jackson, Giles, Bolden, Jeter
2016 - Allen, Ingram, Kennard, Jones, Thornton, Plumlee, Jeter
2015 - Allen, Okafor, Cook, Jefferson, Jones, Winslow, Jones, Sulaimon, Plumlee

CDu
09-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Except this wouldn’t differentiate this year’s team from previous years. Here are the players with at least 15 minutes in an ACC game (including ACCT) in the past several seasons:

2019 - Williamson, Barrett, Jones, Reddish, Bolden, Delaurier, White, O’Connell, Goldwire
2018 - Bagley, Allen, Duval, Carter, Trent, Delaurier, Bolden, O’Connell, White, Goldwire
2017 - Allen, Tatum, Kennard, Jefferson, Jones, Jackson, Giles, Bolden, Jeter
2016 - Allen, Ingram, Kennard, Jones, Thornton, Plumlee, Jeter
2015 - Allen, Okafor, Cook, Jefferson, Jones, Winslow, Jones, Sulaimon, Plumlee

I was just about to post the same thing. Between injuries/illnesses, suspensions, blowouts, and roster uncertainly at the 7th and 8th spot, I would venture that 9 guys seeing 15+ minutes in at least one ACC game is the norm, not the exception. It was also true in 2014 (Parker, Hood, Sulaimon, Cook, Dawkins, Jefferson, Thornton, Jones, Plumlee; even Hairston got 15+ thrice against major conference opponents) and 2013 (Plumlee, Kelly, Cook, Curry, Sulaimon, Jefferson, Thornton, Hairston, Murphy).

scottdude8
09-26-2019, 11:18 PM
I was just about to post the same thing. Between injuries/illnesses, suspensions, blowouts, and roster uncertainly at the 7th and 8th spot, I would venture that 9 guys seeing 15+ minutes in at least one ACC game is the norm, not the exception. It was also true in 2014 (Parker, Hood, Sulaimon, Cook, Dawkins, Jefferson, Thornton, Jones, Plumlee; even Hairston got 15+ thrice against major conference opponents) and 2013 (Plumlee, Kelly, Cook, Curry, Sulaimon, Jefferson, Thornton, Hairston, Murphy).

Good points all! I was trying to give myself a low bar and apparently barely put it above the ground, haha.

alteran
09-27-2019, 06:56 AM

Ah, youth.

Billy Dat
09-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Here's NBC's Rob Dauster with a piece on Tre and Duke, focused on Tre's shooting
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/09/27/dukes-influencer-tre-jones-will-be-the-most-influential-player-in-college-hoops-if-he-has-learned-to-shoot/

English
09-27-2019, 03:00 PM
I think the biggest contributor to depth this year is the probable lack of separation between the different players. K likes to lean into his edge. Assuming a smaller gap between Baker/White/Moore/O'Connell/Stanley than say RJ/Cam/O'Connell/White I just see K mixing it up more both intra and inter games.

I was thinking about this lately, too, after the eye test, scouting reports, and reading/listening to a few DBB analyses--I'm curious, and hopeful, that this also draws K back into a more hands-on, strategic coaching approach this season too. When there have been 2-3 dominant players on the squad, it has seemed like he's more comfortable winning with elite players rather than gameplanning and outcoaching the opponent. That's almost certainly an oversimplification, but it definitely felt at (many) times last year that he essentially "rolled the ball out and let his guys beat their guys." It's possible, and perhaps likely in many cases, that we don't have the players this season to simply outclass the competition. Coach K is the best in the game, and I suspect the dynamic of the roster this season offers a challenge he hasn't had in awhile. He's certainly got the floor general and versatility to do some interesting things.