PDA

View Full Version : Duke Baseball 2020

Pages : [1] 2 3

duke2x
09-20-2019, 12:10 AM
The schedule is out. It seems a little softer than last year from a quick glance, and most of the tough ACC series are in Durham. If there is a year where we could have the raw W-L record to host, this is it, but I'm not expecting it. Note that the February games in Minneapolis are not at Target Field.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/9/19/baseball-blue-devils-release-2020-spring-schedule.aspx

https://goduke.com/documents/2019/9/19//2020_Baseball_Schedule.pdf

budwom
09-20-2019, 08:05 AM
The schedule is out. It seems a little softer than last year from a quick glance, and most of the tough ACC series are in Durham. If there is a year where we could have the raw W-L record to host, this is it, but I'm not expecting it. Note that the February games in Minneapolis are not at Target Field.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/9/19/baseball-blue-devils-release-2020-spring-schedule.aspx

https://goduke.com/documents/2019/9/19//2020_Baseball_Schedule.pdf

does anybody know if we got our usual influx of good Ivy League graduate players?

CrazyNotCrazie
09-20-2019, 09:35 AM
does anybody know if we got our usual influx of good Ivy League graduate players?

I took a quick glance at the roster and I see one grad student transfer - Luke Hartman, an outfielder from Bucknell.

I always double take when I see the name "Nifong" on the baseball roster. Poor kid - I hope he isn't related.

jimsumner
09-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Matt Mervis poised for big senior season?

https://goduke.com/news/2019/9/6/baseball-mervis-named-to-ccbl-all-league-team.aspx?path=baseball

Jim3k
09-20-2019, 09:03 PM
In February, where does one play baseball in Minneapolis?

-jk
09-20-2019, 09:15 PM
In February, where does one play baseball in Minneapolis?

In some corner of the Mall of America?

-jk

duke2x
09-21-2019, 12:08 AM
It's the same venue as the Final 4 last year.

Faison1
09-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Matt Mervis poised for big senior season?

https://goduke.com/news/2019/9/6/baseball-mervis-named-to-ccbl-all-league-team.aspx?path=baseball

Hey Jim (or anyone)...wasn't last year supposed to be a transition year? So, this year we should have higher expectations?

jimsumner
09-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Hey Jim (or anyone)...wasn't last year supposed to be a transition year? So, this year we should have higher expectations?

Well, Duke did begin last season ranked in all the polls and did end the season one loss shy of the CWS after handing Vanderbilt one of their two post-season losses.

I would expect Duke to be nationally ranked, probably mid-teens.

Omaha remains the goal. Duke is very strong at catcher, infield and bullpen and is building quality depth. They did lose their top recruit to MLB and have question marks in the outfield and the rotation. I think Pollard has the program at a point where it's going to be competitive every year. Duke has been able to advance to the Super Regional round the last two years despite opening on the road. Not the ideal long-term strategy. Duke needs to get one of those top-16 regional host gigs and go from there.

budwom
09-21-2019, 03:20 PM
how's the pitching? Gotta have some arms or our don't go anywhere...of course pitchers get hurt all the time (weren't some of ours injured last year?), maybe there's no way of knowing who's going to be well and who isn't...

CameronBornAndBred
10-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Fall practice started yesterday.

“It's our first official day of fall practice after about a six-week individual period where we’ve been brining guys up to the field in small groups,” said Pollard. “This will be the second year in a row that we’ve started our fall later than probably most of our triangle counterparts. We’ve got a lot of expectations with this club based on things I’ve seen in our small group work. The really neat thing right now is even though we have a lot of freshmen that are pushing upperclassmen like crazy.”

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/blue-devils-hold-first-practice-of-fall/18686112/

chrishoke
10-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Fall practice started yesterday.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/blue-devils-hold-first-practice-of-fall/18686112/

Thanks for posting this. I am very excited about this year's team. I think we have the best coach in the ACC.
To answer Budworm's question above, we have Bryce Jarvis coming back as our ace. Bryce had a fabulous NCAA tournament last year. No pitchers transferred into the program this year.

Bob Green
10-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Thanks for posting this. I am very excited about this year's team. I think we have the best coach in the ACC.

I am also excited for another exciting year of Duke baseball. CWS is the objective.

chrishoke
10-09-2019, 06:29 PM
I am also excited for another exciting year of Duke baseball. CWS is the objective.

That is incredibly amazing and yet so true. Coach spoke to the Blue Devil Club a couple weeks ago and said the same thing.

arnie
10-09-2019, 06:43 PM
That is incredibly amazing and yet so true. Coach spoke to the Blue Devil Club a couple weeks ago and said the same thing.

I don’t recall who hired this coach (it was not the Admiral), but Mr. White needs to do everything possible to keep him.

duke2x
10-09-2019, 06:46 PM
I don’t recall who hired this coach (it was not the Admiral), but Mr. White needs to do everything possible to keep him.

White hired him. It's the biggest hire he's made and really the only one. I'm sure he's doing everything but promising an on-campus stadium to keep him.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Yes he does, because Pollard might be the best college baseball coach in the nation. Of course, this will mean dipping even further into the profits of the revenue sports for baseball.....

jimsumner
10-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Some baseball notes

Outfielder Chase Cheek is still rehabbing from knee surgery and will miss fall ball. Fingers crossed on spring.

Combined with the graduation of Kennie Taylor and Kyle Gallagher, outfield is a position of concern.

Therefore Duke moved Joey Loperfido to center field. You may recall that he played first base for two seasons and second base last year. Pollard says CF is Loperfido's pro position. Cheek, R.J. Schreck, Bucknell grad-student transfer Luke Hampton, Kyle Salley, Steve Mann, perhaps a freshman or two, are all in the mix.

Duke might look at seeing if 1B/DH Chris Crabtree can play corner OF. A lot depends on how Duke uses Matt Mervis.

Mervis had a great summer at the Cape. He came to Duke as a pitcher/position player, Duke's Brandan McKay. But he's had arm problems and didn't pitch much last season. But he did pitch some this summer, pitched well, no pain. If Mervis is in the rotation, then he likely DHs to save wear and tear. Or he could move back to 1B, where he excelled last season.

Lots of competition for the vacant 2B job. Look for a true freshman to start next spring, perhaps Grant Norris or Thomas Keehn.

Bryce Jarvis will be the Friday starter. Cooper Stinson and Bill Chilliari are the default second and third starters but Duke has more good arms than any time in its history and Jack Carey, Oliver McCarthy, Aaron Beasley and others will get a long look. Pollard is really high on true freshman RHP Henry Williams. A sleeper.

Matt Dockman and Thomas Girard have the back end of the bullpen locked down.

Duke was set to add LHP Josh Simpson as a grad-transfer from Columbia. But the Marlins drafted him in the 32nd round and he signed.

Lots of freshmen pushing the vets for PT, even the returning starters.

Pollard says he's so excited about this team that his assistant coaches are worried about him.

AGDukesky
10-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Fantastic update! I’m trying to temper expectations after the team really overachieved in the postseason the last two seasons, but it is hard not to think about World Series potential this season...

chrishoke
10-09-2019, 07:03 PM
Some baseball notes

Pollard says he's so excited about this team that his assistant coaches are worried about him.

LOL. Great stuff Jim, thanks.

Bob Green
10-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Some baseball notes

Thanks, Jim. Pure gold.

devilsadvocate85
10-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Some baseball notes

Outfielder Chase Cheek is still rehabbing from knee surgery and will miss fall ball. Fingers crossed on spring.

Combined with the graduation of Kennie Taylor and Kyle Gallagher, outfield is a position of concern.

Therefore Duke moved Joey Loperfido to center field. You may recall that he played first base for two seasons and second base last year. Pollard says CF is Loperfido's pro position. Cheek, R.J. Schreck, Bucknell grad-student transfer Luke Hampton, Kyle Salley, Steve Mann, perhaps a freshman or two, are all in the mix.

Duke might look at seeing if 1B/DH Chris Crabtree can play corner OF. A lot depends on how Duke uses Matt Mervis.

Mervis had a great summer at the Cape. He came to Duke as a pitcher/position player, Duke's Brandan McKay. But he's had arm problems and didn't pitch much last season. But he did pitch some this summer, pitched well, no pain. If Mervis is in the rotation, then he likely DHs to save wear and tear. Or he could move back to 1B, where he excelled last season.

Lots of competition for the vacant 2B job. Look for a true freshman to start next spring, perhaps Grant Norris or Thomas Keehn.

Bryce Jarvis will be the Friday starter. Cooper Stinson and Bill Chilliari are the default second and third starters but Duke has more good arms than any time in its history and Jack Carey, Oliver McCarthy, Aaron Beasley and others will get a long look. Pollard is really high on true freshman RHP Henry Williams. A sleeper.

Duke was set to add LHP Josh Simpson as a grad-transfer from Columbia. But the Marlins drafted him in the 32nd round and he signed.

Quick clarification - Loperfido played one season at 1st base, one season at 2nd base and is a junior now.

devildeac
10-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Some baseball notes

Great summary! Thanks, Jim.

Bob Green
11-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Baseball preview:

https://www.collegebaseball.info/post/duke-2020-season-preview

Article predicts Duke will make a Super Regional and is a legitimate contender for Omaha.

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Baseball preview:

https://www.collegebaseball.info/post/duke-2020-season-preview

Article predicts Duke will make a Super Regional and is a legitimate contender for Omaha.

Now the whole season is jynxed!

chrishoke
11-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Duke play Coastal Carolina today.

Bob Green
11-02-2019, 11:47 AM

In Fayetteville...

jv001
11-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Now the whole season is jynxed!

Not until Duke baseball makes the cover of SI. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
11-02-2019, 12:56 PM

Even thought the GoDuke schedule says the first game is against Army at home on February 14?

Bob Green
11-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Even thought the GoDuke schedule says the first game is against Army at home on February 14?

Fall baseball so basically exhibition games.

chrishoke
11-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Fall baseball so basically exhibition games.

You can listen via goduke.com. Duke leads 1-0 in the bottom of the 2nd. Duke lost its first fall exhibition to NCCU. This is its last.

chrishoke
11-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Duke with back to back homers to lead 5-0. OK, I know, it's a football day, no more updates.

duke2x
11-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Duke with back to back homers to lead 5-0. OK, I know, it's a football day, no more updates.

Please feel free to update. I can't get the goduke feed, and I'm stuck listening to State-Wake. :eek:

CameronBornAndBred
11-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Ain't a Duke football day ;p

chrishoke
11-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Duke still leads Coastal 5-1 in the bottom of the 7th.

chrishoke
11-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Mervis continues his hot fall w/ a 2 run single, 7-1 Duke after 7.

chrishoke
11-02-2019, 05:03 PM
12-2 in the bottom of the 12th - apparently they will play 16 innings.

Bob Green
11-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Duke won first scrimmage 7-2 and the second 6-1:

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/3/baseball-blue-devils-close-out-exhibition-with-coastal-carolina.aspx

Faison1
11-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Duke won first scrimmage 7-2 and the second 6-1:

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/3/baseball-blue-devils-close-out-exhibition-with-coastal-carolina.aspx

Isn't Coastal Carolina usually pretty good? Did they make the tournament last year?

Bob Green
11-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Isn't Coastal Carolina usually pretty good? Did they make the tournament last year?

They won the National Championship in 2016 and yes they made the tournament in 2019.

Faison1
11-03-2019, 12:11 PM
They won the National Championship in 2016 and yes they made the tournament in 2019.

Ha Ha!! Shows you how out of touch I am if it's not ACC or SEC!

So, even though this is exhibition ball, that's a good sign for the season, no?

duke2x
11-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Ha Ha!! Shows you how out of touch I am if it's not ACC or SEC! So, even though this is exhibition ball, that's a good sign for the season, no?

We also lost to NCCU, which would portend a 6-48 season. Fall ball hopefully answered some questions for Pollard going into the Army series. It always feels good to beat a top program.

There's nothing I enjoy more in sports than watching Duke climb or reclimb the ladder-- from Goestenkors to Cutcliffe to Pollard. I'm alone because I'm probably a little more excited about baseball season than basketball.

chrishoke
11-04-2019, 08:09 AM
We also lost to NCCU, which would portend a 6-48 season. Fall ball hopefully answered some questions for Pollard going into the Army series. It always feels good to beat a top program.

There's nothing I enjoy more in sports than watching Duke climb or reclimb the ladder-- from Goestenkors to Cutcliffe to Pollard. I'm alone because I'm probably a little more excited about baseball season than basketball.

I may be in that same rowboat.

budwom
11-04-2019, 08:28 AM

Here's hoping that someday relatively soon we'll see WBB "reclimb the ladder." The descent has been too long and too ugly.

wilson
11-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Not until Duke baseball makes the cover of SI. GoDuke!Pretty sure we won't have to worry about anything being on the cover of Sports Illustrated anymore...

Bob Green
01-13-2020, 05:31 PM
Duke ranked 15 in Preseason D1 Poll:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/1/13/duke-ranked-15th-in-d1baseball-preseason-poll.aspx

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2020, 05:34 PM
Duke ranked 15 in Preseason D1 Poll:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/1/13/duke-ranked-15th-in-d1baseball-preseason-poll.aspx

Wow, sweet!

brevity
01-13-2020, 07:49 PM
2020 College World Series: Way-early predictions on 8 headed to Omaha (https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2020-01-07/2020-college-world-series-predictions-8-teams-omaha?utm_campaign=monday%20&utm_medium=base&utm_source=1-13-newsletter&utm_content=link-7) (NCAA.com)

A pair of writers offer their preseason predictions for the College World Series. Neither picks Duke to make it to Omaha, but one gives an honorable mention.

The next 8

Here are the teams we strongly considered and expect to be contenders for a spot in Super Regional play.

Wayne Cavadi: Arkansas, Coastal Carolina, Florida, Florida State, LSU, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, UCLA

Anthony Chiusano: Cal State Fullerton, Duke, Georgia, LSU, Miami (FL), Mississippi State, Texas Tech, UCLA

Sounds about right for a #15 ranked team.

chrishoke
01-24-2020, 08:12 PM
Today was the first day of baseball practice. I for one am very excited.

https://goduke.com/news/2020/1/24/baseball-blue-devils-open-spring-with-first-practice-friday.aspx

Bob Green
01-25-2020, 06:10 AM
Today was the first day of baseball practice. I for one am very excited.

https://goduke.com/news/2020/1/24/baseball-blue-devils-open-spring-with-first-practice-friday.aspx

Me too.

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on chrishoke again.

jv001
01-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Me too.

I took card of the sporkz for you. I'm excited to see baseball just around the corner, for Duke baseball and Cardinal baseball. My wife arranged a trip to Spring Training in March to see my Redbirds. A birthday present back in October.

GoDuke and GoRedbirds!!!

chrishoke
01-25-2020, 09:42 AM
I took card of the sporkz for you. I'm excited to see baseball just around the corner, for Duke baseball and Cardinal baseball. My wife arranged a trip to Spring Training in March to see my Redbirds. A birthday present back in October.

GoDuke and GoRedbirds!!!

Yes! Go Duke and go Cards. You obviously have an outstanding wife. Two years ago my wife gifted us all inclusive tickets to three games in April In St. Louis. We had a blast. It was my first time in the new Bush. My only complaint is the need to sell better beer

-boo only Bud products. The Durham Bulls have a much better beer selection.

jv001
01-25-2020, 09:49 AM
Yes! Go Duke and go Cards. You obviously have an outstanding wife. Two years ago my wife gifted us all inclusive tickets to three games in April In St. Louis. We had a blast. It was my first time in the new Bush. My only complaint is the need to sell better beer

-boo only Bud products. The Durham Bulls have a much better beer selection.

We were blessed to be able to attend 2 games in new Busch Stadium last September. The only bad thing is the Cards lost 2 of 3 against the Brew Crew. The new stadium is beautiful and if you stay down town St. Louis it's an easy walk to the Stadium. Took care of 2 things on my bucket list last year. Went to Busch and we celebrated our 25th anniversary in Hawaii. Got to go back to Schofield Barracks where I was stationed with the 25th Infantry.

GoDuke!

devilirium
01-26-2020, 06:57 AM
Some baseball notes

Great write up. Looks like Steve Mann left the team per the goduke roster. So we will a bit younger in the outfield.

Bob Green
01-31-2020, 04:08 PM
Team preview article:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2020-01-26/duke-baseball-complete-2020-projected-lineup-and-preseason-grade?amp&__twitter_impression=true

CameronBornAndBred
01-31-2020, 06:05 PM
Team preview article:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2020-01-26/duke-baseball-complete-2020-projected-lineup-and-preseason-grade?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Nice...graded above average in every category except for speed. (And most of the above averages are above av plus.)

AustinDevil
02-13-2020, 04:55 PM
One day to the season opener! 4 pm tomorrow. :-)

https://goduke.com/news/2020/2/13/baseball-no-15-duke-hosts-army-west-point-on-opening-weekend.aspx

chrishoke
02-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Very excited. Go Duke. Beat Army..

Barnstormer
02-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Will Coach K go out to see the baseball team take on Army?

Bob Green
02-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Very excited. Go Duke. Beat Army..

I am looking forward to another solid season of Duke baseball.

chrishoke
02-14-2020, 06:08 PM
We are being dhut out by Army in the 7th 2-0. We have one hit.

devildeac
02-14-2020, 06:11 PM
We are being dhut out by Army in the 7th 2-0. We have one hit.

Sounds like we need to call in the Navy for reinforcements...

chrishoke
02-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Army pitcher has struck out 10 Devils.

Indoor66
02-14-2020, 06:25 PM
Army pitcher has struck out 10 Devils.

Bet he's great with grenades. 😎

chrishoke
02-14-2020, 06:40 PM
We finally score after a triple and a balk.

chrishoke
02-14-2020, 07:05 PM
Duke is 0-1.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 12:43 PM
Duke is 0-1.

Today’s game starts at 1 pm with coverage via ACCNX.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 01:41 PM
End of 1st: Duke 1, Army 1

Duke starting pitcher pulled after apparent hand or arm discomfort.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 01:44 PM
End of 1st: Duke 1, Army 1

Duke starting pitcher pulled after apparent hand or arm discomfort.

WOW. Not good. Army scored without a hit.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 02:00 PM
Army scores 2 unearned runs in the 2nd and lead 3-1. Sorry folks but our guys look like not ready for prime time players.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 02:10 PM
Duke runs into the third out at third - dumb baseball.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 02:30 PM
Army up 5-1 now. We do not look sharp.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Make that 7-1. Army has scored every inning.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 03:13 PM
Duke has stranded 7 base runners through 4 innings.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 03:16 PM
Is their an offensive coordinator that we can fire? :p

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 03:20 PM
Duke defense with a 1 - 2 - 3 5th inning. It is time to generate some offense.

devildeac
02-15-2020, 03:32 PM
Duke defense with a 1 - 2 - 3 5th inning. It is time to generate some offense.

Yea, but Army provides great defense, almost as good as the Navy...

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Yea, but Army provides great defense, almost as good as the Navy...

No comparison, Navy is always better than Army. ✌️

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Matt Mervis makes it 7-5 with a Grand Slam. We have a ball game!

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Devil grand slam. 7-5.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 04:19 PM
Norris with a sac fly cuts the lead to 7-6.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 04:28 PM
Wild pitch makes it 7-7.

sagegrouse
02-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Wild pitch makes it 7-7.

Bob, ain't ya' watchin' the Duke-Notre Dame game?

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Bob, ain't ya' watchin' the Duke-Notre Dame game?

Basketball on TV, baseball on the iPAD. Multitasking.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Basketball on TV, baseball on the iPAD. Multitasking.

and until the last few minutes, live stats lacrosse on the phone.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Znd just like that we give up the lead.

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Army goes back up 8-7. Headed to B8.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Duke strikes out w/ 2 o to end the 8th.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 05:16 PM
Duke ties it up w/ a sac fly

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 05:18 PM
Duke wins.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 05:19 PM
And that's a Duke WINNER!

sagegrouse
02-15-2020, 05:21 PM
And that's a Duke WINNER!

If the line score is correct, we scored two runs in the 9th without a hit. True?

Bob Green
02-15-2020, 05:32 PM
If the line score is correct, we scored two runs in the 9th without a hit. True?

Winning run scored on an error.

chrishoke
02-15-2020, 05:56 PM
We got a lot of help from Army.

sagegrouse
02-15-2020, 05:57 PM

To answer my question: fly-out, two walks, hit batsman, sac fly, then an error to end the game.

Bob Green
02-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Rubber match starts at 1 pm with coverage via ACCNX.

chrishoke
02-16-2020, 01:44 PM
Duke jumps out to a 5-0 lead after 2.

Bob Green
02-16-2020, 01:45 PM
Duke bats have come alive. Through 2 complete innings: Duke 5, Army 0.

chrishoke
02-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Great to see Cooper Stinson taking charge and looking really sharp.

Bob Green
02-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Duke 7, Army 0

Headed to T7.

chrishoke
02-16-2020, 03:53 PM
That's a Blu Devil winner 7-0 and a season opening series win over Army.

Bob Green
02-16-2020, 03:54 PM
That’s a winner.

Duke wins the game 7-0 and the season opening series.

CameronBornAndBred
02-16-2020, 04:11 PM
That's a Blu Devil winner 7-0 and a season opening series win over Army.

That’s a winner.

Duke wins the game 7-0 and the season opening series.

Thanks to all for the updates. I only watched the last inning of today's game, so the other two I was living vicariously through your posts. I think I was close to calling DD just on reading yesterday's updates alone. Reading that game in the span of 90 seconds was almost too much for a heart to bear.

Glad we ended way better than we started. On to a fulfilling season!

devildeac
02-16-2020, 05:09 PM
Thanks to all for the updates. I only watched the last inning of today's game, so the other two I was living vicariously through your posts. I think I was close to calling DD just on reading yesterday's updates alone. Reading that game in the span of 90 seconds was almost too much for a heart to bear.

Glad we ended way better than we started. On to a fulfilling season!

I was off-duty but still available. :o

duke2x
02-16-2020, 08:16 PM
A sweep would have been better, but this was an important series win. Army is a good copy of what we'll see in the NCAA Tournament; a strong #1 starter with less weekend depth. Army won @NCSU in the NCAAs a couple years ago in game 1.

On to Bill, Mary, and Cornell. Step 1 is to win enough for an NCAA bid. Step 2, winning record against UNC/NCSU/Wake/ECU, can't be ignored on the way.

Bob Green
02-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Today’s game versus William & Mary about to start on ACCNX.

Bob Green
02-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Duke executes a strike em out, throw em out double play in T1.

chrishoke
02-18-2020, 05:16 PM
The Devils have a 3-0 lead over William and Mary in the 5th.

chrishoke
02-18-2020, 05:33 PM
Duke with a remarkable 2 run sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 5th. 5-0 Devils.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Duke with a remarkable 2 run sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 5th. 5-0 Devils.

How exactly does THAT work?

Bob Green
02-18-2020, 06:14 PM
How exactly does THAT work?

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, fly ball to deep centerfield, centerfielder makes the catch crashing into the wall and falling to the warning track, heads up base running by Ethan Murray who scores from 2nd base beating the relay to the plate.

richmclean
02-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Still 5-0 B8.

chrishoke
02-18-2020, 06:29 PM
That's a 5-0 Blue Devil winner. Two shut outs in a row.

Bob Green
02-18-2020, 06:31 PM
Five Duke pitchers combined to shut out W & M: Chillari, Herrick, Dockman, Carey and Mervis.

Next up is Cornell in this weekend’s series.

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2020, 06:35 PM
Depending on the poll, Duke is ranked around 16, dropping one or two spots. That works for me. :)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/college-baseball-top-25/

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2020-02-17/college-baseball-rankings-miami-takes-over-top-spot-d1baseball-top

chrishoke
02-18-2020, 06:36 PM
Five Duke pitchers combined to shut out W & M: Chillari, Herrick, Dockman, Carey and Mervis.

Anyone have a scouting report on Cornell?

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2020, 06:37 PM
PS...5 of the top 25 teams are in NC.

ECU, UNC, NCSU, Wake Forest, and Duke.

Bob Green
02-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Pollard is really high on true freshman RHP Henry Williams. A sleeper.

Jim, Have you heard any update on Henry Williams?

Williams lasted two-thirds of an inning in his debut against Army on Saturday before departing due to hand/arm discomfort.

chrishoke
02-18-2020, 07:17 PM

Friday will be Cornell's first game of the season. Last year they were 14-24. That's all I know.

devildeac
02-18-2020, 07:20 PM

It's "far above Cayuga's waters..."

(sorry, couldn't resist :o)

duke2x
02-18-2020, 10:28 PM
It's "far above Cayuga's waters..." (sorry, couldn't resist :o)

And their alma mater was stolen by the Cheaters (and my HS and ...)

We have to sweep some weekend series to make the NCAAT. This sounds like it could be one of them.

devildeac
02-18-2020, 10:39 PM
And their alma mater was stolen by the Cheaters (and my HS and ...)

We have to sweep some weekend series to make the NCAAT. This sounds like it could be one of them.

"From the shores of Orange County
Comes an awful smell
Where twelve thousand sons of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es
Go to chapel hill
And it's piss on c*rolina, lina
Piss on c*rolina, lina
Go to Hell"

Something like that?

;)

DUKIE V(A)
02-18-2020, 11:55 PM

Another solid win for our Devils against an improving William and Mary Program. With the game well in hand for Duke, I was thrilled to see Tribe Freshman Pitcher Matt Howat throw two scoreless and hitless innings against Duke. I had the pleasure of coaching Matt at James Madison HS in Vienna, VA during his sophomore and junior seasons. He is a tremendous young man and is unflappable on the mound. Glad to see Matt off to a positive start this season, and Duke getting the W.

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 11:31 AM
Weekend series versus Cornell starts this afternoon at 4 pm:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/2/20/baseball-no-16-duke-welcomes-cornell-this-weekend.aspx

Game broadcast will be on ACCNX.

Duke will host Air Force on Monday.

chrishoke
02-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Bring in the snow plows.

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Bring in the snow plows.

Did it snow significantly?

I figured they covered the field and everything would be okay. We got an inch or two in Hampton Roads but it is quickly melting.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-21-2020, 11:53 AM
Bring in the snow plows.

Does the snow give Cornell home field advantage?

sagegrouse
02-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Does the snow give Cornell home field advantage?

Hah! Good one!

chrishoke
02-21-2020, 12:10 PM

I figured they covered the field and everything would be okay. We got an inch or two in Hampton Roads but it is quickly melting.

Same in Durham.

DU82
02-21-2020, 01:36 PM

It’s a turf field, so they can plow it. My guess is they’ll still cancel today and play a doubleheader tomorrow.

My nephew’s team is at the USA baseball complex in Cary this weekend(why I predicted this snow a couple of months ago.) It’s a grass field, so no way they’d play today; doubleheader tomorrow instea.

jwillfan
02-21-2020, 02:34 PM
It’s a turf field, so they can plow it. My guess is they’ll still cancel today and play a doubleheader tomorrow.

Games this weekend are at the DBAP (Bulls Stadium) which is grass. They tarp it extensively and it gets a lot of sun but is barely above freezing. No telling what they'll do but man baseball in 35 degree weather isn't fun for anyone. Maybe Cornell does get an advantage. Pine tar, anyone? :cool:

DU82
02-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Games this weekend are at the DBAP (Bulls Stadium) which is grass. They tarp it extensively and it gets a lot of sun but is barely above freezing. No telling what they'll do but man baseball in 35 degree weather isn't fun for anyone. Maybe Cornell does get an advantage. Pine tar, anyone? :cool:

Forgot the game wasn’t on campus. I doubt the Bulls will want them to chew up a half-frozen field.

WRAL showed the snow covered field last night, didn’t look like anybody was going to play there today.

dpslaw
02-21-2020, 03:28 PM
https://twitter.com/dukebase/status/1230948179589443585?s=21

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 03:40 PM
https://twitter.com/dukebase/status/1230948179589443585?s=21

The field looks great. Impressive effort by the grounds crew.

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Bryce Jarvis on the mound for Duke.

jwillfan
02-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Finally found it on TV. Very odd shadows on the field. ACCNX pretty no frills, audio is the Duke radio broadcast overlayed over video. No score after 1.5 innings, Jarvis perfect, facing 6 batters

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2020, 04:34 PM
The field looks great. Impressive effort by the grounds crew.

fouling one off will ding the hands today for sure....

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 04:34 PM
ACCNX pretty no frills, audio is the Duke radio broadcast overlayed over video.

One camera, no replays shown. It is still a big improvement over following via Gamecast.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-21-2020, 04:39 PM
One camera, no replays shown. It is still a big improvement over following via Gamecast.

Can you see the Cornell catcher's signs on the camera? Hear any trash cans banging?

I kid...

jwillfan
02-21-2020, 04:40 PM
Can't argue with that. I just hope they aren't paying the camera person much since I could do better and I'm a TERRIBLE videographer

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Duke scores three runs in B4. Headed to the 5th inning.

chrishoke
02-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Jarvis looking really sharp. He is throwing a no-hitter through 5.

chrishoke
02-21-2020, 05:25 PM
Duke plates 5 unearned runs in the bottom of the fifth. 8-0.

chrishoke
02-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Jarvis w/ a perfect game through 8.

chrishoke
02-21-2020, 06:11 PM
Perfect game for Jarvis. WOW. Fifteen strikeouts.

DukieInKansas
Perfect game for Jarvis. WOW.

Fantastic!

OZZIE4DUKE
Update????!

Update posted as I hit enter! Congrats Jarvsi and the team! LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 06:12 PM
Perfect game for Jarvis. WOW.

Impressive performance!

EKU1969
02-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Wow! Go Duke!

hallcity
02-21-2020, 06:29 PM

First perfect game in Duke baseball history

brevity
02-21-2020, 06:35 PM
Jarvis looking really sharp. He is throwing a no-hitter through 5.

We have an anti-jinx thread for third party basketball, but then someone does this? For Duke, in the most superstitious sport ever? And it worked?!

I need to lie down. I'm starting to think that comments on the Internet have no bearing on the rest of the world...

duke2x
02-21-2020, 07:06 PM
This really deserves its own thread. Congrats to Jarvis! What a way to rebound after a tough loss to Army last week.

I'm shocked they played in this weather. Thanks for the 227 people that saw it in person. (I'm sure that number will grow like Woodstock.)

Odds on local TV covering this at 11PM tonight? :rolleyes

If you want to watch part or all, it was on ACC Network Extra: https://www.espn.com/watch?id=cc2d426f-2f11-4365-8e62-6dd61d972507

Bob Green
02-21-2020, 07:19 PM
I need to lie down. I'm starting to think that comments on the Internet have no bearing on the rest of the world...

Not the case at all...it is the “thing” one is not supposed to talk about but chrishoke threw down the gauntlet and Bryce Jarvis responded saying, “Check this stuff out, buddy!”

Congratulations to Bryce Jarvis.

devildeac
02-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Not the case at all...it is the “thing” one is not supposed to talk about but chrishoke threw down the gauntlet and Bryce Jarvis responded saying, “Check this stuff out, buddy!”

Wait! You have evidence now that Duke players and/or coaches read DBR, even during games? :eek::rolleyes:

;)

brevity
02-21-2020, 08:41 PM

I like your interpretation better. Thank you for some much-needed positivity.

roywhite
02-21-2020, 09:44 PM
Did the Cornell team show up with hockey sticks instead of baseball bats?

Just kidding; love seeing the progress Coach Pollard and his team have made! Congrats!

heyman25
02-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Brilliant Pitching performance. Duke baseball and softball are teams to watch!

CrazyNotCrazie
02-21-2020, 10:21 PM
I'd like to take credit for the no hitter by doing the reverse jinx and saying that the snow would give Cornell an advantage. Perhaps the baseball team can name a helmet cubby after me as a gesture of appreciation.

brevity
02-21-2020, 10:21 PM
NCAA.com: Bryce Jarvis throws perfect game as Duke blanks Cornell (https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2020-02-21/college-baseball-bryce-jarvis-throws-perfect-game-duke-blanks)

The performance marked just the 31st perfect game in NCAA Division I history, and first since Jake Kuchmaner's perfect outing on Mar. 17, 2019. The outing also marked the seventh no-hitter in Duke history, and first since the Blue Devils' combined no-hit effort over Penn State last season on Mar. 1, 2019.

Duke Chronicle: Bryce Jarvis throws the first perfect game in Duke baseball history (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2020/02/duke-baseball-bryce-jarvis-perfect-game-cornell)

Jarvis struck out 15, needing only 94 pitches to finish off the masterpiece.

CBS17 on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIdxiF2Gs8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIdxiF2Gs8

sagegrouse
02-21-2020, 11:30 PM
I'd like to take credit for the no hitter by doing the reverse jinx and saying that the snow would give Cornell an advantage. Perhaps the baseball team can name a helmet cubby after me as a gesture of appreciation.

Yes, of course. But that's only the down payment -- the balance will come on the bill.

duke2x
02-21-2020, 11:56 PM
Jarvis made #3 on Sportscenter Top 10.

brevity
02-22-2020, 12:09 AM
27 up, 27 down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mvwVWEKhBs

richardjackson199
02-22-2020, 12:26 AM
NCAA.com: Bryce Jarvis throws perfect game as Duke blanks Cornell (https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2020-02-21/college-baseball-bryce-jarvis-throws-perfect-game-duke-blanks)

Duke Chronicle: Bryce Jarvis throws the first perfect game in Duke baseball history (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2020/02/duke-baseball-bryce-jarvis-perfect-game-cornell)

CBS17 on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIdxiF2Gs8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEIdxiF2Gs8

I of course love that he gave credit to his teammates.

Duke is pitching quite well to start the season. 10 runs allowed over 5 games. Three straight shutouts. Only loss was 2-1. And a perfect game from Jarvis! WOW

camion
02-22-2020, 07:57 AM
I watched the video and Jarvis was dominant, not just with the strikeouts.

Only one of the 27 batters managed to get the ball out of the infield.

Of the 12 non-strikeouts there were only 2 fly balls. 10 groundouts.

There were no dramatic saving plays in the field. No line drives, no diving catches. The closest thing to a hit was a soft grounder down the third base line that Jarvis handled.

DevilHorse
02-22-2020, 09:35 AM

#1 on SC Top 10 in midnight edition.

Larry
DevilHorse

wsb3
02-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Remarkable..94 pitches..I think I heard 73 strikes.

Bob Green
02-22-2020, 01:02 PM
Cooper Stinson is today’s starting pitcher. The rest of the starting lineup remains the same.

devildeac
02-22-2020, 01:10 PM
Remarkable..94 pitches..I think I heard 73 strikes.

Shame we don't have a MOTM for baseball and see if the SS or 1B would get a vote or three...

:rolleyes:

chrishoke
02-22-2020, 01:43 PM
Cooper Stinson loses his no-hitter in the 3rd. (Ha!) Still 0-0.

brevity
02-22-2020, 01:49 PM

#1 on SC Top 10 in midnight edition.

Here you go. The Top 10 also included a triple play and a diving catch from other college baseball games yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsch4zBBl4w

wsb3
02-22-2020, 02:11 PM
Shame we don't have a MOTM for baseball and see if the SS or 1B would get a vote or three...

:rolleyes:

Must spread..blah blah...But thank you for the laugh..Excellent Post... :)

chrishoke
02-22-2020, 02:23 PM
1-0 Duke after 5 on a sac fly.

Bob Green
02-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Duke takes a 1-0 lead in B5. Ethan Murray with a Sac Fly.

loran16
02-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Got it on the stream right now. Lotta stranded baserunners so far, hope that doesn't come back to bite us.

loran16
02-22-2020, 03:02 PM
Got it on the stream right now. Lotta stranded baserunners so far, hope that doesn't come back to bite us.

Speaking of which, Duke loads the bases in the 7th with one out, scores on a wild pitch, and doesn't score again. Oof.

2-0 through 7 innings.

Bob Green
02-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Through 7 complete innings: Duke 2, Cornell 0.

loran16
02-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Dockman gets out of a jam for Duke, heading to bottom 8 up 2.

Bob Green
02-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Another strong pitching performance as Duke wins 2-0 in their fourth straight shutout to improve to 5-1 on the season.

loran16
02-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Final: Duke 2, Cornell 0, so all those stranded baserunners did not come back to haunt the team.

4th straight shutout.

chrishoke
02-22-2020, 03:45 PM
Love our bullpen.

-jk
02-22-2020, 04:00 PM
Love our bullpen.

A well rested bullpen, presumably.

-jk

Bob Green
02-22-2020, 04:06 PM
A well rested bullpen, presumably.

-jk

Absolutely! Starter Cooper Stinson pitched six complete innings today so the bullpen is still rested heading to Sunday.

devildeac
02-22-2020, 05:40 PM
Love our bullpen.

Starters not too shabby either. ;)

Bob Green
02-22-2020, 06:00 PM
Game recap from GoDuke:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/2/22/baseball-duke-clinches-series-with-2-0-shutout-win-over-cornell.aspx

Sophomore RHP Jack Carey will start for Duke tomorrow.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 12:57 PM
Final game in the Cornell series is at 1 today. Can Duke make it 5 shutout in a row. Go Devils!

Bob Green
02-23-2020, 01:12 PM
Final game in the Cornell series is at 1 today. Can Duke make it 5 shutout in a row. Go Devils!

Nope.

Cornell scores a run on 3 hits in T1. Duke coming up to bat.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 01:12 PM
Cornell opened the game w/ 3 straight singles and a sac fly plated a run. A DP ended the inning.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Duke Soph Jack Carey is making his first ever start for Duke. He is struggling so far. In the 2nd he hits a batter and gives up a hit but escapees w/ no runs allowed.

loran16
02-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Duke down 6 up 6 down through 2. With Carey struggling, they're going to need to find the offense today.

sagegrouse
02-23-2020, 01:40 PM
Duke down 6 up 6 down through 2. With Carey struggling, they're going to need to find the offense today.

Duke is down 1-0 in the bottom of the second per ESPN score sheet.

loran16
02-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Duke is down 1-0 in the bottom of the second per ESPN score sheet.

Yeah, it's on ACCNX (ACC Network streaming), if you have access to that. Been at least two men on for Cornell each of the first three innings, no runners scored in the 2nd, 2 outs 2 on in the 3rd right now. Carey isn't going to last long.

Oh: Sorry, I meant their batters went 6 up 6 down, not that they were down 6 nothing lol.

loran16
02-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Carey gets out of the 3rd without a run, 1-0 Cornell going to bottom 3.

loran16
02-23-2020, 01:54 PM
Crabtree leads off the 3rd with a double, gets to 3rd on a sac fly......and then is TOOTBLANed getting too far off third and picked off by the catcher.

ugh.

loran16
02-23-2020, 02:12 PM
Duke gets a runner in scoring position for the 2nd straight inning with no outs, and fails to score. Two games in a row of just not knocking in guys.

Bob Green
02-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Still 1-0 through four complete innings. Duke had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs but came up empty.

loran16
02-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Duke leaves another RISP, end 5, down 1.

Duke now 0-7 (with a walk or two) with Runners in Scoring Position.

EDIT: 0-6. Forgot Crabtree got picked off.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 02:45 PM
Need the bats to wake up. New Cornell pitcher.

loran16
02-23-2020, 02:55 PM
There we go! A shot off the top of the blue monster with men on first and second ties the game. 2nd and 3rd two outs now for Crabtree.

Bob Green
02-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Rudy Maxwell ties it up with a hit off the LF Wall.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Freshman Loper in to pitch for Duke in the 7th. Three up and three down.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 03:16 PM
2-1 Duke in the 7th. 3-1 now, still hitting w/ 2 on.

Bob Green
02-23-2020, 03:17 PM
3-1 now.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 03:25 PM
Up to the bullpen now - they have been strong all game. Closer Thomas Girard in now.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Girard strikes out two and 3 up three down in the 8th. NASTY.

duke2x
02-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Duke brooms Cornell by a margin of 3-1 today. We will need all 3 of those.

budwom
As usual, bring in a kid from New England to save the day...

loran16
3-1 Final, 6-1 on the year. Offense still needs work, but the bullpen remains marvelous.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 03:45 PM
Girard is outstanding!

Bob Green
02-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Duke is back in action tomorrow at 4 pm against Air Force.

devildeac
02-23-2020, 03:57 PM

Off we go, into the...

Bob Green
02-23-2020, 04:10 PM
Off we go, into the...

Air Force was swept by Navy this weekend.

chrishoke
02-23-2020, 04:22 PM
Air Force was swept by Navy this weekend.

My kind of scouting report.

CameronBornAndBred
02-23-2020, 05:04 PM
FYI, Bryce was honored during one of the first half timeouts in Cameron last night, it was pretty cool to see so many fans stand up for him.

chrishoke
02-24-2020, 08:24 AM

Today’s game has been moved up to 2 pm.

CameronBornAndBred
02-24-2020, 01:26 PM
Duke is 14th in Baseball.com's poll, up two, and 16th in Baseball America's poll, up one.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/d1baseballcom-top-25

The Heels fell out of the top 25 in at least one poll after losing their weekend series at home to Dallas Baptist. HAHAHAHA

devildeac
02-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Duke is 14th in Baseball.com's poll, up two, and 16th in Baseball America's poll, up one.

The Heels fell out of the top 25 in at least one poll after losing their weekend series at home to Dallas Baptist. HAHAHAHA

Any loss, any sport for the cheats is worthy of a "smiling thread..."

CameronBornAndBred
02-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Any loss, any sport for the cheats is worthy of a "smiling thread..."
That's just crazietalk. :D:D

Bob Green
02-24-2020, 03:12 PM
Duke has jumped all over Air Force early and lead 6-0 in 2nd inning with bases loaded and no outs.

chrishoke
02-24-2020, 03:21 PM
12-0 now

Bob Green
02-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Headed to T3: Duke 12, Air Force 0

This one got out of hand for the Falcons in a hurry.

AustinDevil
02-24-2020, 04:23 PM

I don't like DBU but the all-caps laughing seems to indicate that you think that this result is somehow super-embarrassing for the Heels. DBU has been in the NCAA tournament seven of the past eight years, making a super-regional in 2011.

DukieInKansas
02-24-2020, 04:28 PM
I don't like DBU but the all-caps laughing seems to indicate that you think that this result is somehow super-embarrassing for the Heels. DBU has been in the NCAA tournament seven of the past eight years, making a super-regional in 2011.

I'm guessing CB&B is just laughing at them falling out of the Top 25 and losing the weekend series more than at who beat them.

CameronBornAndBred
02-24-2020, 04:58 PM

I'm guessing CB&B is just laughing at them falling out of the Top 25 and losing the weekend series more than at who beat them.

Yep! As they say in Cameron...Ahhhhhh-Seeeeeeeya! (Except they said it in Chapel Hill...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

chrishoke
02-24-2020, 05:12 PM
Five straight shutouts. WOW! 16-0.

DukieInKansas
Duke records its 5th shutout in the last 6 games. Can we take some of today's runs and save them for future games when we might need them? The final of 16-0 seems a bit cruel.

Bob Green
Final: Duke 16, Air Force 0

Falcons had bases loaded with no outs in T9 but did not score.

loran16
02-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Duke’s team ERA down to 0.153 through 8 games which is just......WHAT?

CameronBornAndBred
02-24-2020, 05:17 PM
'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go

But then again, I never really took off

wilson
02-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Duke’s team ERA down to 0.153 through 8 games which is just...WHAT?2 runs surrendered on 2/14 + 8 runs on Feb 15 + 1 run on Feb 23 = 1.375 ERA from where I sit. Still pretty darned impressive, but not quite that low.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-24-2020, 06:21 PM
2 runs surrendered on 2/14 + 8 runs on Feb 15 + 1 run on Feb 23 = 1.375 ERA from where I sit. Still pretty darned impressive, but not quite that low.

How many of those runs does the E take off the pitching stats? (I do not know, just asking)

Bob Green
02-24-2020, 06:22 PM
2 runs surrendered on 2/14 + 8 runs on Feb 15 + 1 run on Feb 23 = 1.375 ERA from where I sit. Still pretty darned impressive, but not quite that low.

Are you sure all 11 runs were earned runs.

Edit: It appears 6 of 11 we’re earned runs. Team ERA is .75

https://goduke.com/documents/2020/2/24/Duke_Season_Stats.pdf?path=baseball

wilson
02-24-2020, 06:30 PM
Are you sure all 11 runs were earned runs.

Edit: It appears 6 of 11 we’re earned runs.

https://goduke.com/documents/2020/2/24/Duke_Season_Stats.pdf?path=baseballAh, good call. My command of baseball stats is rusty because eff Cobb County.
So 6 ER in 8 games = 0.75 ERA...split the difference on our two calculations and the larger point remains: quite impressive for Duke baseball!

loran16
02-24-2020, 07:22 PM
Ah, good call. My command of baseball stats is rusty because eff Cobb County.
So 6 ER in 8 games = 0.75 ERA...split the difference on our two calculations and the larger point remains: quite impressive for Duke baseball!

Ah yes, my number was per inning, not per 9, but I also was including all runs. Still ridiculous

duke2x
02-24-2020, 09:56 PM
The offense and pitching ERA will rise with the temperatures and more game experience.

Big weekend in Minneapolis. All 3 Triangle teams are making the trip. I can't cheer for NCSU as long as we have a chance to host. Of course 9F, 9F, 9F.

loran16
02-24-2020, 10:34 PM
The offense and pitching ERA will rise with the temperatures and more game experience.

Big weekend in Minneapolis. All 3 Triangle teams are making the trip. I can't cheer for NCSU as long as we have a chance to host. Of course 9F, 9F, 9F.

Seriously, who scheduled an ACC/B10 challenge in MINNESOTA IN FEBRUARY. Just.....why. High of 25 degrees Friday, sigh.

duke2x
02-24-2020, 10:40 PM
Seriously, who scheduled an ACC/B10 challenge in MINNESOTA IN FEBRUARY. Just....why. High of 25 degrees Friday, sigh.

It will be a chilly 75 or 80 inside the dome. It's one of the highlights of our non-conference season besides ECU. We need to win 2/3 this weekend.

DU82
02-24-2020, 10:43 PM
It will be a chilly 75 or 80 inside the dome. It's one of the highlights of our non-conference season besides ECU. We need to win 2/3 this weekend.

I was going to say what dome, but darn if they don’t play in US Bank Stadium. Didn’t know it had a baseball configuration.

roywhite
02-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Seriously, who scheduled an ACC/B10 challenge in MINNESOTA IN FEBRUARY. Just...why. High of 25 degrees Friday, sigh.

Well, the games themselves will be played in good conditions in U.S. Bank Stadium.

From Wiki:
U.S. Bank Stadium is an enclosed stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. Built on the former site of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome, the indoor stadium opened in 2016 and is the home of the Minnesota Vikings (NFL); it also hosts early season college baseball games of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers (NCAA)...

U.S. Bank Stadium hosted Super Bowl LII won by the Philadelphia Eagles on February 4, 2018,[15] the ESPN X Games on July 19–22, 2018, and the NCAA Final Four won by the Virginia Cavaliers on April 6–8, 2019. The stadium is also expected to host the 2020 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.

duke2x
02-24-2020, 10:58 PM
I am confident that Jarvis and Duke would be prepared to play outside against UMN. UNC and NCSU? Not so much because they cancelled on Friday.

budwom
02-25-2020, 08:38 AM
as long as Jerry Lundegaard isn't pitching for the Gophers, we'll be fine.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2020, 07:50 AM
(wrong thread — thanks jv001!)

jwillfan
02-28-2020, 03:35 PM
All I can find are links to listen to the Purdue announcers, although since it hasn't started yet it's possible Duke announcers may "broadcast" on Blue Devil network on TuneIn. Got spoiled by last week or 2 being able to watch on ACCNx

Bob Green
02-28-2020, 03:44 PM
Article at GoDuke.com says BTN+ is streaming the games.

jwillfan
02-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Article at GoDuke.com says BTN+ is streaming the games.

Thanks, makes sense - not sure if I get that on my current streaming package but will look

Faison1
02-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Wow, ACC Baseball looks tough this year!

According to NCBWA Ranking the top 30 teams, the ACC has 8 squads named.

The SEC has 10!!

So, between the two conferences, the ACC and SEC occupy 18 of the 30 top spots in the country. That's amazing!!

Bob Green
02-28-2020, 04:55 PM
Duke takes a 1-0 lead in B3.

loran16
02-28-2020, 05:14 PM
End 5, Duke still up 1-0. 6Ks 0 BBs and under 60 pitches thru 5 for Jarvis, who is ridiculously efficient.

Bob Green
02-28-2020, 05:50 PM
Duke scores four runs in B6 to increase lead to 5-0.

Bob Green
02-28-2020, 06:31 PM
Duke wins 5-1.

Bryce Jarvis pitched 7 innings so the bullpen is in great shape heading into the weekend.

chrishoke
02-28-2020, 06:42 PM
Bryce is the man!