PDA

View Full Version : Cassius Stanley Vertical Record

slower
09-19-2019, 09:19 PM
I've seen the video, and it's hard to tell just how high he jumps. If they say he broke Zion's record, I guess we have to believe them. But something about it doesn't quite pass the eye test.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-19-2019, 10:08 PM
I've seen the video, and it's hard to tell just how high he jumps. If they say he broke Zion's record, I guess we have to believe them. But something about it doesn't quite pass the eye test.
Remember, Zion is taller and has a longer reach. They are measuring net vertical. So Cassius can have a higher vertical leap without actually reaching a higher point in space.

tteettimes
09-19-2019, 10:32 PM
See there...I told you so.......depends and how tall you are:rolleyes:

UrinalCake
09-19-2019, 10:37 PM
Cassius's standing reach was measured at 8'3 in 2014 (link (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cassius-stanley)) and 8'4 in 2017 (link (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2016/03/cassius-stanley.html)). Unfortunately those are the most recent references I can find. Zion's was reported to be 8'7 prior to the draft. So Cassius is starting from at most four inches below Zion (could be less of a differential if he has grown).

When Zion did his max vert test they had to place the rack on top of some weights because he outjumped the whole thing. So I kind of agree, I have some skepticism that Cassius has a higher max vert than Zion. Unless they got a longer pole this year.

ElliottHoo
09-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Cassius's standing reach was measured at 8'3 in 2014 (link (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/cassius-stanley)) and 8'4 in 2017 (link (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2016/03/cassius-stanley.html)). Unfortunately those are the most recent references I can find. Zion's was reported to be 8'7 prior to the draft. So Cassius is starting from at most four inches below Zion (could be less of a differential if he has grown).

When Zion did his max vert test they had to place the rack on top of some weights because he outjumped the whole thing. So I kind of agree, I have some skepticism that Cassius has a higher max vert than Zion. Unless they got a longer pole this year.

Also worth bearing in mind is that Zion didn't just jump high, he also jumped *fast*. Some guys can jump high during testing, but underwhelm during games because they need a lot of set-up time to actually execute that jump. They can't do it quickly or in traffic so the height is there but it only rarely actually impacts a game. Zion could not only jump insanely high, he could do it seemingly instantly and at any moment. Truly, he was the whole package, and it was the combination of abilities that made him so extraordinary.

So, even in the (imo, unlikely) event Cassius really can outjump Zion, its hard to believe he can jump as quickly or has as much versatility with it.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-19-2019, 11:21 PM
I mean, Cassius can get UP...

https://youtu.be/9rVs0V1hYBc

UrinalCake
09-24-2019, 08:09 PM
During this interview Stanley clarifies that he jumped 46", not the 42 that has been reported (!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA-KDuWU4Vc

SkyBrickey
09-25-2019, 08:17 AM
Michael Jordan and today’s best NBA leaper, Zach LaVine, both measured 46” verticals.

Wilt Chamberlain supposedly had a 48” vertical.

JasonEvans
09-25-2019, 10:52 AM

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-513213ff39d69bcd9a5ce63d51cea75f http://theexercisers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Wilt-Chamberlain.jpg

Steven43
09-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Michael Jordan and today’s best NBA leaper, Zach LaVine, both measured 46” verticals.

Laughable. Yet another in a long line of exaggerations about Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt was 7’ 1” in height. If he had a 48” vertical jump the top of his head would be more than a foot above the rim. I’ve never seen a photo of Wilt where he is even at eye level with the rim, much less more than a foot above it.

rsvman
09-25-2019, 04:31 PM
46" is elite.

Green Wave Dukie
09-25-2019, 07:38 PM
46" is elite.

Alarmingly athletic, too.

richmclean
09-25-2019, 09:38 PM
Alarmingly athletic, too.

Bam.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 08:35 AM

The eye test is what was so stunning about Zion....a man that big going that high is simply more astonishing to the eye than a much smaller man going maybe an inch higher.

I was thinking when RJ came out last week and said he could dunk like Zion that maybe he's right, and maybe he can.....but it still won't look as spectacular as a Zion dunk. I don't think anyone's dunks will....simply because Zion is breaking the laws of physics.

slower
09-28-2019, 12:18 PM
I was thinking when RJ came out last week and said he could dunk like Zion that maybe he's right, and maybe he can....

And maybe that's just RJ being RJ. His statement that he can dunk like Zion also does not meet the eye test. Knowing RJ's ego and alpha-dog mentality, if he COULD have, he WOULD have.

JayZee
09-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Saw that Zion was back at school. Think he wants his vert title back? He sure looks fit.

UrinalCake
09-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Even if Zion were to retake the test and break the record, it wouldn’t count. The record is max vert by a Duke player, not by an alum. It wouldn’t really be meaningful if any pro could come back and set the record.

BD80
09-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Even if Zion were to retake the test and break the record, it wouldn’t count. The record is max vert by a Duke player, not by an alum. It wouldn’t really be meaningful if any pro could come back and set the record.

What if he is enrolled in a summer course?

Gooch
09-28-2019, 11:42 PM
I was in the Minneapolis airport yesterday getting a shoe shine (stay with me...)

I told the nice man that I lived in Connecticut and he began talking about Khalid El-Amin and the great UConn teams back in the day. I told him I don’t like to talk about “that game” because I’m a Duke fan.

The next thing he said was, “can you believe Cassius Stanley beat Zion’s vertical leap record?!?!”

The Duke marketing machine in full effect...

JayZee
09-29-2019, 12:20 PM

My post was not meant to be taken seriously.

A bit interesting to me is that last year they seemed to actively keep Zion’s actual vert secret, but now we know, at least, that it’s not 48 or 50 like some people guessed. In the end it just doesn’t matter that much. Just off season speculation... looking forward to seeing Cassius actually play.

phaedrus
09-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Do verticals generally improve after your freshman year of college? Mine didn't.

devildeac
09-30-2019, 10:38 AM
Do verticals generally improve after your freshman year of college? Mine didn't.

You are correct. The "freshman 15" does not refer to verticals. :rolleyes:

UrinalCake
09-30-2019, 10:44 AM
No, but my horizontal measurements have definitely gone up since then.

Steven43
09-30-2019, 11:19 AM
And maybe that's just RJ being RJ. His statement that he can dunk like Zion also does not meet the eye test. Knowing RJ's ego and alpha-dog mentality, if he COULD have, he WOULD have.

Did RJ really say that?? I have a hard time believing he would say something so absurd.

yancem
09-30-2019, 12:32 PM
Did RJ really say that?? I have a hard time believing he would say something so absurd.

I vaguely remember him saying something of that nature after the foul line dunk in Canada and thinking, yeah right. Barrett is a very good athlete and capable of some nice dunks but Zion is rare and special in his abilities.

DoubleBlue
09-30-2019, 12:41 PM

For most people, purely physical skills peak in the late 20's. I believe that holds for strength, speed, stamina and agility... jumping included.

JayZee
09-30-2019, 01:23 PM

I read the article. He said something more along the lines of "I can do many of the same dunks" which is true. He threw down some windmills in games, and that foul line dunk in Canada. He did not say he was as good of a dunker.

crimsondevil
09-30-2019, 01:45 PM
For most people, purely physical skills peak in the late 20's. I believe that holds for strength, speed, stamina and agility... jumping included.

Ackshually, different physical skills tend to have different age peaks - pure speed and reaction time in early 20's, strength rather later, and endurance running as "late" as the early 30's or more. By way of example, Usain Bolt's 100m world record was set when he was not quite 23, and Kipchoge set the current marathon record at age 31.

But the point stands - both Zion and RJ could still be getting faster, higher, stronger at age 19.