PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke D.J. Steward!

Hartford Dukie
09-18-2019, 05:12 PM
I just saw a report that DJ Steward (#26 in the Summer RSCI) verbally committed to Duke this afternoon, so I guess we can all be happy.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/DJ-Steward-Duke-Commit-Five-star-135767473/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/9/18/20872319/dj-steward-duke-whitney-young-chicago-high-school-basketball

pfrduke
09-18-2019, 05:14 PM
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/09/duke-mens-basketball-dj-steward-commitment

907bluedevils
09-18-2019, 05:22 PM
I just saw a report that DJ Steward (#26 in the Summer RSCI) verbally committed to Duke this afternoon, so I guess we can all be happy.

Seems to comp to Boogie Ellis in size and skill.

NSDukeFan
09-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Yay! Welcome to Duke DJ Steward!

BD80
09-18-2019, 05:48 PM
AWESOME! Welcome DJ!

Billy Dat
09-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Let's GO!!! Welcome aboard DJ! Chicago boys have done quite well in Durham!!!!

MartyClark
09-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Let's GO!!! Welcome aboard DJ! Chicago boys have done quite well in Durham!!!!

These Chicago Public League kids are gamers. Think Sean Dockery, Jahlil, Jabari.

Go D.J.

Billy Dat
09-18-2019, 06:31 PM
These Chicago Public League kids are gamers. Think Sean Dockery, Jahlil, Jabari.

Go D.J.

The suburban driveway shooters, like your namesake and a few decent coaches, aint so bad either.

MartyClark
09-18-2019, 06:40 PM
The suburban driveway shooters, like your namesake and a few decent coaches, aint so bad either.

Yeah, a guy named Jon Scheyer comes to mind.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood young fella! Excited to have you!

ChillinDuke
09-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Fantastic news.

Welcome aboard!

- Chillin

proelitedota
09-18-2019, 08:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

Blue KevIL
09-18-2019, 09:14 PM
A DJ Steward tidbit the board might be interested in…

As a High School Freshman, DJ Steward had a very Laettner-like perfect game shooting the ball in the 2017 Illinois Class 3A State Championship Game.
At that time, he was playing for Fenwick High School and scored a game-high 26-points on 10-for-10 shooting from the field (including a pair of 3-pointers) and 4-for-4 at the free throw line.

Unfortunately – for me and my alma mater – the Friars came up short in OT against a very good Morgan Park and lost 69-67.

Steward attended Fenwick for his Freshman and Sophomore years and transferred to Whitney Young prior to his Junior year.
If Fenwick sounds familiar to you, it is the high school alma mater of former Blue Devils Corey Maggette and Trisha Liston.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6/13/18677719/dj-steward-whitney-young-basketball-national-ranking

weezie
09-18-2019, 09:35 PM
I'm very happy! Welcome D.J! That's wonderful news.

mr. synellinden
09-18-2019, 10:05 PM
I didn’t see this video from DJ’s Twitter account posted.

Worth a watch.

https://twitter.com/swipasnipa/status/1174423984299024385?s=20

bigperm13
09-18-2019, 10:19 PM
I didn’t see this video from DJ’s Twitter account posted.

Worth a watch.

https://twitter.com/swipasnipa/status/1174423984299024385?s=20

Definitely worth a watch. I love his game. Welcome to the brotherhood.

UrinalCake
09-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Love that we’ve gotten off to such an early start on the 2020 class with three five-stars in Johnson, Roach, and now Steward. These guys didn’t need to wait and see how the roster shakes out, who else commits and who leaves early, etc. They just knew that Duke was the right place for them. Steward has some great quotes in the originally linked article about how he wasn’t planning to commit this soon but he went on his visit and was just blown away and knew that Duke is the place for him.

Now we need to land some bigs!

moonpie23
09-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the party, pal...��

cato
09-19-2019, 12:00 AM
It’s always good to get a new Steward in the ship!

Dukehk
09-19-2019, 02:11 AM
Welcome to the brotherhood DJ!

Coach K is the GOAT. Building yet another superclass.

Green Wave Dukie
09-19-2019, 02:20 AM
A DJ Steward tidbit the board might be interested in…

As a High School Freshman, DJ Steward had a very Laettner-like perfect game shooting the ball in the 2017 Illinois Class 3A State Championship Game.
At that time, he was playing for Fenwick High School and scored a game-high 26-points on 10-for-10 shooting from the field (including a pair of 3-pointers) and 4-for-4 at the free throw line.

Unfortunately – for me and my alma mater – the Friars came up short in OT against a very good Morgan Park and lost 69-67.

Steward attended Fenwick for his Freshman and Sophomore years and transferred to Whitney Young prior to his Junior year.
If Fenwick sounds familiar to you, it is the high school alma mater of former Blue Devils Corey Maggette and Trisha Liston.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6/13/18677719/dj-steward-whitney-young-basketball-national-ranking

The one that sounded familiar to me was Whitney Young. Believe that is where Jahlil Oakafor went to high school

CDu
09-19-2019, 07:26 AM
The one that sounded familiar to me was Whitney Young. Believe that is where Jahlil Oakafor went to high school

Yes, Whitney Young is indeed the school that Okafor attended.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Welcome DJ! LGD GTHc!

Bluedog
09-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Yes, Whitney Young is indeed the school that Okafor attended.

Whitney Younng is also a pretty academically oriented magnet school in Chicago. Always rated as one of the best. Welcome DJ!!

CDu
09-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Whitney Younng is also a pretty academically oriented magnet school in Chicago. Always rated as one of the best. Welcome DJ!!

To be fair, it is also a school that has been accused of (and penalized for) violating the city's policy on recruiting for athletics. It's probably fair to say that it is a school that puts an emphasis on academics, but also separately puts an emphasis on athletics.

MartyClark
09-19-2019, 12:56 PM
To be fair, it is also a school that has been accused of (and penalized for) violating the city's policy on recruiting for athletics. It's probably fair to say that it is a school that puts an emphasis on academics, but also separately puts an emphasis on athletics.

Whitney Young is also the alma mater of Michelle Obama.

elvis14
09-19-2019, 01:03 PM

If she has any eligibility left, I'd love to see her play for Duke :-)

1 year grad transfer?

CDu
09-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Yep, and Russell Maryland (of the Miami Hurricanes and Dallas Cowboys), Quentin Richardson, Astronaut Joan Higgenbotham, actor/comedian Craig Robinson, and others. It is a very high profile school. It pulls in some of the best minds from the Chicagoland area, and it also pulls in some of the best athletes from Chicagoland area.

rsvman
09-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Wow, this is fantastic news! Welcome, DJ!

luvdahops
09-19-2019, 04:44 PM

I am friendly with a few Fenwick parents and alums, and they were not exactly thrilled to see DJ recruited away by Young. But I haven't heard any accusations of improprieties, and if anything, folks were glad not to see him head out of state to more of a hoops factory, which was at least under consideration by DJ. In any event, they seem happy for him now and have a hard time arguing with the outcome.

duke96
09-19-2019, 07:27 PM
If she has any eligibility left, I'd love to see her play for Duke :-)

1 year grad transfer?

At a minimum she could keep future Cam Reddishes off the double cheeseburgers.

MartyClark
09-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Yep, and Russell Maryland (of the Miami Hurricanes and Dallas Cowboys), Quentin Richardson, Astronaut Joan Higgenbotham, actor/comedian Craig Robinson, and others. It is a very high profile school. It pulls in some of the best minds from the Chicagoland area, and it also pulls in some of the best athletes from Chicagoland area.

Sorry folks, can't figure out how to link.

Good article in the Chicago Sun Times on the 10 best Chicago area kids to play at Duke. Jahlil #1, Scheyer "2. I'd argue the opposite.

I had a forgotten about Phil Henderson.

bullettoothtony
09-21-2019, 06:26 PM
^ I thought the same thing when I saw that article and Phil was mentioned. Just sad.

House P
09-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Good article in the Chicago Sun Times on the 10 best Chicago area kids to play at Duke. Jahlil #1, Scheyer "2. I'd argue the opposite.

Thanks for letting us know about the article. Here is the link:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/9/20/20875127/duke-basketball-recruiting-illinois-high-school-dj-steward-young-jon-scheyer-jahlil-okafor

By the way, I find it odd that your personal quibble with the list is whether Jahlil or Jon should be #1. Given your DBR name, I would have expected that you, of all people, would point out the most glaring omission on the list - Marty Clark isn’t mentioned anywhere. :cool:

Marty is from Illinois, isn’t he? I seem to remember the “cameo” he played in Hoop Dreams as a teammate of William Gates. So, if Marty qualifies as a Chicago area player, I would probably rank him at #8 on the list - just behind Sean Dockery, but ahead of Weldon Williams, Joe Cook, and Michael Thompson.

MartyClark
09-22-2019, 01:44 PM
Thanks for letting us know about the article. Here is the link:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/9/20/20875127/duke-basketball-recruiting-illinois-high-school-dj-steward-young-jon-scheyer-jahlil-okafor

By the way, I find it odd that your personal quibble with the list is whether Jahlil or Jon should be #1. Given your DBR name, I would have expected that you, of all people, would point out the most glaring omission on the list - Marty Clark isn’t mentioned anywhere. :cool:

Marty is from Illinois, isn’t he? I seem to remember the “cameo” he played in Hoop Dreams as a teammate of William Gates. So, if Marty qualifies as a Chicago area player, I would probably rank him at #8 on the list - just behind Sean Dockery, but ahead of Weldon Williams, Joe Cook, and Michael Thompson.

Excellent point!! I think that the real Marty Clark played his first two years of H.S. basketball in Denver for Mullen H.S. He finished at the St. Joe's in suburban Chicago.

That being said, the real Marty Clark absolutely belongs on the list.

luvdahops
09-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Excellent point!! I think that the real Marty Clark played his first two years of H.S. basketball in Denver for Mullen H.S. He finished at the St. Joe's in suburban Chicago.

That being said, the real Marty Clark absolutely belongs on the list.

He sure does. Was a very productive 6th man on the '93 and '94 squads, and who can forget the key FTs he hit against Indiana in the '92 Final Four?

bullettoothtony
09-22-2019, 07:08 PM
He sure does. Was a very productive 6th man on the '93 and '94 squads, and who can forget the key FTs he hit against Indiana in the '92 Final Four?

That and the warm handshake between Knight and Coach K that soon followed.

roywhite
09-22-2019, 10:17 PM
That and the warm handshake between Knight and Coach K that soon followed.

The term "drive-by" comes to mind to describe Coach Knight's perfunctory gesture.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-22-2019, 10:21 PM

He also had a great tip-in to win a game vs. Notre Dame in 1994 (his senior year). Plus he never fouled...

Dukehk
09-23-2019, 09:24 AM

I had a forgotten about Phil Henderson.

I would actually argue that Corey Maggette would have easily been #1 had he stayed even 2-3 years.