PDA

View Full Version : Can someone smarter than I please explain what is the thesis of this word salad?

AustinDevil
09-18-2019, 04:48 PM
WRAL Sports Fan published a thing about Duke's uphill battle for football relevance. Except that it's really about Duke's and Wake's uphill battles for relevance. And maybe Duke and Wake should start getting crushed by UNC and NCSU, because that would help somehow? Oh, it's also about Duke's and Wake's battles for baseball relevance.

I'm having South Park underpants-gnomes flashbacks. Anyway, here's the thing:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/tri-partisan-who-s-to-blame-for-duke-football-s-uphill-battle-for-relevance/18642500/

brevity
09-18-2019, 05:01 PM
I read it, and it looks like one of the oldest stories in the book: Boy Meets Deadline.

Billy Dat
09-18-2019, 05:11 PM
I guess he is saying that in both football and baseball, we are good enough and trying to get better than we are now is basically pointless.

sagegrouse
09-18-2019, 05:22 PM
I read it, and it looks like one of the oldest stories in the book: Boy Meets Deadline.

There's a "news hole," and it has to be filled with something.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2019, 05:37 PM
HA! I read the article earlier today and came away with the exact same opinion of the OP..."What does this even mean?"

It doesn't come to any conclusion even...it's just there.

What annoys me most is, especially coming off this "down week" for the ACC, there was no "Oh, by the way, Duke beat a decent team."
Also, on WRAL, the irritating "Panic Room", tagged Duke in a stupid segment highlighting the woes of the ACC, yapped about the failures of UNC and State, and yet NEVER ONCE MENTIONED Duke. That's fine if you don't say "Hi", but then don't bring us down with the rest of the league with your mystery tag.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-panic-room-back-to-the-drawing-board/18636569/

HereBeforeCoachK
09-18-2019, 08:11 PM
By Ben Swain, the erstwhile Duke fan. He made on coherent point - albeit an obvious one. Then we went mush.

DukeFanSince1990
09-18-2019, 09:33 PM
Ben Swain is actually worth a follow on Twitter. His UNC insults are normally pretty cutting and spot on without being over the top.

AustinDevil
09-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Ben Swain is actually worth a follow on Twitter. His UNC insults are normally pretty cutting and spot on without being over the top.

That's good to hear. He must have just been having a rough day, and as others have noted, been on deadline. I can't even imagine having the "content" quotas that jobs like his must require.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-19-2019, 06:07 AM

True...but this was a terrible piece. He was trying to be too cute by half here......

rsvman
09-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Ummmmmmm........wow, that was pretty bad.

I'm afraid that I lost a couple of IQ points just reading it.

burnspbesq
09-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Game Three of the super-regionals two years in a row? There are a couple hundred schools that would trade all the family heirlooms for that kind of irrelevance.