PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football Week 4

chrishoke
09-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Apologies to Bob Green for starting his thread early but I didn't see anywhere else to put this from a News and Observer article on this Saturday's game between App. St. and the Heels.

"Wide receiver Corey Sutton, who was suspended for the first two games after a marijuana-related arrest in June, apparently will play Saturday. When asked about Sutton’s status, Drinkwitz said, “He’s ready to roll.”" :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Apologies to Bob Green for starting his thread early but I didn't see anywhere else to put this from a News and Observer article on this Saturday's game between App. St. and the Heels.

"Wide receiver Corey Sutton, who was suspended for the first two games after a marijuana-related arrest in June, apparently will play Saturday. When asked about Sutton’s status, Drinkwitz said, “He’s ready to roll.”" :cool:

Isn't that what got him in trouble in the first place?

Green Wave Dukie
09-17-2019, 06:48 PM
This is a dubious way to start a thread.

Bob Green
09-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Week 4 games (all on Saturday):

Boston College at Rutgers, 12:00 pm, BTN
Western Michigan at Syracuse, 12:00 pm, ACCN
Elon at Wake Forest, 12:00 pm, ACCNX
UCF at Pittsburgh, 3:30 pm, ABC/ESPN2
Appalachian State at UNC, 3:30 pm, ACCNX
Louisville at Florida State, 3:30 pm, ESPN
Central Michigan at Miami, 4:00 pm, ACCN
Old Dominion at #21 Virginia, 7:00 pm, ESPN2
Ball State at N.C. State, 7:00 pm, ESPNU
Charlotte at #1 Clemson, 7:30 pm, ACCN

OldPhiKap
09-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Hope he smokes ‘em downfield. All. Game. Long.

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Week 4 games (all on Saturday):
Charlotte at #1 Clemson, 7:30 pm, ACCN

Nice job, ACCN. That one is totally prime time worthy. :rolleyes:

4Gen
09-17-2019, 08:43 PM

I'll take over.

AustinDevil
09-17-2019, 08:59 PM

It’s a meh week. The only two better games are on ABC and ESPN. So yeah, by default, this one is (the least un)worthy.

JasonEvans
09-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Sagarin says the Clemson - Charlotte game should be a 50 point line. It may be fun to watch to see if Clemson can get to 70 points.

JasonEvans
09-17-2019, 09:18 PM
It’s a meh week. The only two better games are on ABC and ESPN. So yeah, by default, this one is (the least un)worthy.

Worth noting that UCF at Pitt is a big game and well worth watching. There are precious few times that UCF plays legit P5 teams and those contests are always a good measuring stick for this outsider program that has been trying to crash the P5 party for several years. A big win could set UCF up to be in the playoff conversation again and this is likely the toughest game left on their schedule. Win this and there is a darn good chance (at least 40%, I think) UCF goes undefeated.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2019, 10:03 PM
Worth noting that UCF at Pitt is a big game and well worth watching. There are precious few times that UCF plays legit P5 teams and those contests are always a good measuring stick for this outsider program that has been trying to crash the P5 party for several years. A big win could set UCF up to be in the playoff conversation again and this is likely the toughest game left on their schedule. Win this and there is a darn good chance (at least 40%, I think) UCF goes undefeated.

Absolutely agree, this should be a fun game. And UNC is only -3 hosting App. State. Both worth watching.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Absolutely agree, this should be a fun game. And UNC is only -3 hosting App. State. Both worth watching.

And that one gets the ACCNX dumpster. I will not be surprised at all if the Heels come away with a two game losing streak.

duke2x
09-18-2019, 10:54 AM

True, but it will probably get higher ratings than almost every other ACC-N game except Duke-ND.

devildeac
09-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Go Yosef! Go Mountaineers!

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wataugademocrat.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/f3/8f3b2adb-e247-5121-a208-ce2e038d3932/5d548156c1b0c.image.jpg?resize=750%2C518

budwom
09-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Sagarin says the Clemson - Charlotte game should be a 50 point line. It may be fun to watch to see if Clemson can get to 70 points.

yeah, I think the Vegas odds are something like 44+ ...good weekend to focus on gardening and some unexpectedly warm (80s) and glorious weather...

AustinDevil
09-18-2019, 04:30 PM

I agree. It's one of the two that I noted that is clearly a better matchup, and almost entirely because of UCF, not because of the ACC team. UCF *should* be in the playoff conversation if they win out; they will need help, however, in the form of bad and/or multiple losses by the traditional P5 powers currently expected to be in the mix.

Reilly
09-19-2019, 08:08 PM

UNC given 70% chance to win here: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-college-football-predictions/

HereBeforeCoachK
09-20-2019, 06:11 AM
this is a dubious way to start a thread.

hah.....iswydt

AGDukesky
09-20-2019, 08:58 AM

The jury is still out on Pittsburgh being better than Temple, Tulane, and Houston. Other than being a P5 school, Pittsburgh will need to build upon that close loss to PSU to end the season looking like one of UCF’s best wins (assuming it happens, which I’m guessing it does).

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2019, 10:30 AM
The jury is still out on Pittsburgh being better than Temple, Tulane, and Houston.

Speaking of Tulane and Houston, The Tulane Tarheels had the craziest ending of the season so far last night in their win over Houston. (And when I tuned in, I was positive that Mack Brown had brought his team in for a surprise game.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/20/tulanes-fake-kneel-down-last-second-win-is-college-football-ending-year/

75Crazie
09-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Sometimes I wonder about my TV's color presentations … but there's no way I could make any kind of adjustment that would make those uniforms appear to be a Green Wave.

JasonEvans
09-20-2019, 12:31 PM
UCF *should* be in the playoff conversation if they win out; they will need help, however, in the form of bad and/or multiple losses by the traditional P5 powers currently expected to be in the mix.

Looking at UCF's schedule, how many teams in the top 10 would be 90%+ to go undefeated against that schedule? I think all of them. I strongly suspect every single top ten team would be a double digit favorite in every single game on UCF's schedule.

I'm not saying that if UCF goes unbeaten they should not be in the playoff conversation, but I do sorta understand the folks who think their schedule is close to disqualifying.

-Jason "is there really no way for UCF to schedule fellow P5 outsider Notre Dame? I wish they at least had like Michigan St or Okie St or Texas A&M... sigh" Evans

Hingeknocker
09-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Looking at UCF's schedule, how many teams in the top 10 would be 90%+ to go undefeated against that schedule? I think all of them. I strongly suspect every single top ten team would be a double digit favorite in every single game on UCF's schedule.

I'm not saying that if UCF goes unbeaten they should not be in the playoff conversation, but I do sorta understand the folks who think their schedule is close to disqualifying.

-Jason "is there really no way for UCF to schedule fellow P5 outsider Notre Dame? I wish they at least had like Michigan St or Okie St or Texas A&M... sigh" Evans

They scheduled Stanford this year! Well, they scheduled them in 2014, to be played this year. In 2014, Stanford finished as the #12 team in the country per S&P+ (now SP+ at ESPN). Can we really blame them for misreading the tea leaves 5 years out?

The way football schedules are set up, it's nearly impossible for UCF to meet the standards the schedule naysayers want them to meet.

AustinDevil
09-20-2019, 04:35 PM
They scheduled Stanford this year! Well, they scheduled them in 2014, to be played this year. In 2014, Stanford finished as the #12 team in the country per S&P+ (now SP+ at ESPN). Can we really blame them for misreading the tea leaves 5 years out?

The way football schedules are set up, it's nearly impossible for UCF to meet the standards the schedule naysayers want them to meet.

This (up arrow)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-20-2019, 04:43 PM

True, and if that's a major concern to a player or coach I say don't go to UCF and complain. Go somewhere that's not an issue. It is what it is, fair or not.

Hingeknocker
09-20-2019, 04:51 PM
True, and if that's a major concern to a player or coach I say don't go to UCF and complain. Go somewhere that's not an issue. It is what it is, fair or not.

I mean...I personally don't think the pathway to a football championship should be so calcified that a finite number of schools even have a shot at it. Or that we should just give in and never complain about something that could be improved. I understand the pragmatic point you're making, but it would be very easy for the BCS to just expand the playoffs to 8, 12, or 16 teams so that every worthy team is in with a chance.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-20-2019, 04:58 PM
I mean...I personally don't think the pathway to a football championship should be so calcified that a finite number of schools even have a shot at it. Or that we should just give in and never complain about something that could be improved. I understand the pragmatic point you're making, but it would be very easy for the BCS to just expand the playoffs to 8, 12, or 16 teams so that every worthy team is in with a chance.

But that's a separate issue....and I think we will see it opened up some. But a scholarship does not guarantee a shot at a national title, and this always gets debated as if it does. At least not now. So if you've gone to a smaller school in the last 20 years, or are going now, you need to know the reality of today and not complain. That's separate from hoping the system expands.

But let's be real, UCF is a 4-5-6 loss team in the SEC, so it's not the calcified system (I do like that word) as much as it is the reality of FB now. It's a big school sport...and while UCF is now a big school, it hasn't been for very long, thus there are not the alumni as they are with, say, Florida or Georgia.

Oh, one more quibble. The BCS was changed to a play off just a few years ago. That's not really calcified.....though I still ike the term.

AGDukesky
09-20-2019, 06:17 PM
But let's be real, UCF is a 4-5-6 loss team in the SEC, so it's not the calcified system (I do like that word) as much as it is the reality of FB now. It's a big school sport...and while UCF is now a big school, it hasn't been for very long, thus there are not the alumni as they are with, say, Florida or Georgia.

Your logic is sound but I do think UCF has a legitimate chance to be a top SEC team. Given the quality of instate recruits along with actually being in the SEC, would allow it to compete in recruiting at close to that level. Add in the whole Disney/Orlando factor and it would be a great destination to recruit to. Once you can compete to get top recruits, you can be a top team. Also, losing 4-6 games in the SEC could still make you a top 15 (maybe top 10) team this year...

DukieInKansas
09-20-2019, 06:28 PM

And I always hope to catch a glimpse of Nephew Alex on the sidelines. :D

Green Wave Dukie
09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Speaking of Tulane and Houston, The Tulane Tarheels had the craziest ending of the season so far last night in their win over Houston. (And when I tuned in, I was positive that Mack Brown had brought his team in for a surprise game.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/09/20/tulanes-fake-kneel-down-last-second-win-is-college-football-ending-year/

Yep, proudly wore my Tulane shirt to work today. Full admission though, I had put on another one, was walking out the door this morning, then decided to check the score (think it was 28-7 down last I had checked last night in the first half). Ran back inside and changed!!

Oddly enough CBAB, when I was in the Big Easy, Mack Brown WAS our football coach!! Though I cannot and will not support the uniform. Let's put the GREEN back in the Green Wave please guys!!

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 03:15 PM
Looks like Syracuse is in a dog fight. Up 38-33 in the 4th.

Acymetric
09-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Is anyone else having trouble streaming the xnc-App State game? I'm guessing it is blacked out from streaming on ESPN because it is being broadcast locally on Fox Sports Carolinas...is there a streaming option for that?

Acymetric
09-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Is anyone else having trouble streaming the xnc-App State game? I'm guessing it is blacked out from streaming on ESPN because it is being broadcast locally on Fox Sports Carolinas...is there a streaming option for that?

To answer my own question, games on the regional Fox Sports channels (Fox Sports Carolinas, Fox Sports Midwest, etc.) you need the "Fox Sports Go" app, which is distinct from the regular "Fox Sports" app (which is what you need to stream FS1, FS2, and some others).

DU82
09-21-2019, 04:18 PM

I’m showing blackout online as well. The Spectrum guide says there’s soccer on Fox Sports South, however it’s football. go App State!

Meanwhile, Pitt is up 7-0 on UCF, and is driving for another TD as the first quarter ends.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 04:21 PM
TD Mountaineers! Two point conversion try upcoming. 19-7 good guys.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Changes their minds. 20-7.

AGDukesky
09-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Wow Pitt making a statement!

SavDukeGrad
09-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Wow Pitt making a statement!

App State too! 😍

TruBlu
09-21-2019, 05:23 PM
To answer my own question, games on the regional Fox Sports channels (Fox Sports Carolinas, Fox Sports Midwest, etc.) you need the "Fox Sports Go" app, which is distinct from the regular "Fox Sports" app (which is what you need to stream FS1, FS2, and some others).

Thanks! Was able to download the app quickly and begin watching. I thought the game was only on ACCNX. Did Swoff pull some strings to get his beloved cheaters more exposure? May App State expose them as cheating losers.

Acymetric
09-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Thanks! Was able to download the app quickly and begin watching. I thought the game was only on ACCNX. Did Swoff pull some strings to get his beloved cheaters more exposure? May App State expose them as cheating losers.

I think it is on ACCNX for anyone not in the viewing region (so, someone in Califonia would stream on ACCNX instead of Fox). Used to see the same thing with games that got picked up by local/regional stations but were also streamable on ESPN3 (but blacked out in the areas with those regional channels).

JasonEvans
09-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Whether UCF comes back to win this game or not, I think the first half against Pitt is darn close to disqualifying for UCF when it comes to the playoffs.

-Jason “merely coming back to pull out a win, if they even do that, won’t do anything to change my mind... maybe if they just blow the doors off Pitt in the second half” Evans

AGDukesky
09-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Whether UCF comes back to win this game or not, I think the first half against Pitt is darn close to disqualifying for UCF when it comes to the playoffs.

-Jason “merely coming back to pull out a win, if they even do that, won’t do anything to change my mind... maybe if they just blow the doors off Pitt in the second half” Evans

UCF seems to have heard you...

JasonEvans
09-21-2019, 06:14 PM
UCF seems to have heard you...

Yeah, my post did not age well... and by age I am talking about maybe ten minutes.

bullettoothtony
09-21-2019, 07:25 PM
What a comeback by Pitt. Trick play to take the lead with 56 seconds and they hang on.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Yeah, my post did not age well... and by age I am talking about maybe ten minutes.

You got this. Down goes UCF.

JasonEvans
09-21-2019, 07:38 PM
What a comeback by Pitt. Trick play to take the lead with 56 seconds and they hang on.

4th and 3, flea flicker and throw it to the QB... works every time.

PackMan97
09-21-2019, 09:19 PM
Butch is back.

devildeac
09-21-2019, 10:09 PM
cheats looked good...

PackMan97
09-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Butch is back.

LOL! Slip of the tongue there...but does it really matter? We all know Carolina is soft and their cheating ways lead to always taking the easy way out. Teams can and will "out tough" them and beat them regardless of their talent.

Mack is back :)

bullettoothtony
09-21-2019, 10:22 PM

Lol...apparently!

AustinDevil
09-21-2019, 10:30 PM
cheats looked good...

Real good.

53n206
09-22-2019, 12:48 AM
It's ow we like the "cheats" to look.

Bob Green
09-22-2019, 05:52 AM
ACCSports.com website power rankings had UNC at #4 — what a joke. They also had Miami very high at either 5 or 6. The ‘Canes struggled with CMU yesterday but I did not see the game so I have no context.

arnie
09-22-2019, 07:11 AM
ACCSports.com website power rankings had UNC at #4 — what a joke. They also had Miami very high at either 5 or 6. The ‘Canes struggled with CMU yesterday but I did not see the game so I have no context.

Believe that’s David Glenn’s site isn’t it? Cheats homer and apologist - would make sense he ranks Cheats and early Cheats opponent highly. When Cheats fans start whining about Mack Brown, he’ll drop them fast.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2019, 07:24 AM
UNC lost, Duke did not. A good week in my book.

Even more, UNC was the only ACC team to lose except the Louisville-FSU conference game loser. Wish that game had ended in a tie.

Wander
09-22-2019, 10:14 AM

That's not crazy to me. Obviously Clemson should be #1, UVA should probably be a distant #2, and then I don't know how to order teams after that. The ACC is not very good.

Tripping William
09-22-2019, 10:17 AM
That's not crazy to me. Obviously Clemson should be #1, UVA should probably be a distant #2, and then I don't know how to order teams after that. The ACC is not very good.

Wake is pretty clearly either 2 or 3

Wander
09-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Wake is pretty clearly either 2 or 3

I guess you put Wake at 3 for now because they're undefeated, but I'm not sure their results are actually any better than Pitt's.

FWIW, Sagarin has Miami, Wake, Pitt, Syracuse, and UVA all clustered between 29 and 38. That sounds about right to me, and I'd probably through us, FSU, and NC State in that mess too. Just not really enough info yet to sort it out.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Your logic is sound but I do think UCF has a legitimate chance to be a top SEC team...

As Deputy Girard (Tommy Lee Jones) said in 'The Fugitive'.....sir, do you care to revise your statement?

devildeac
09-22-2019, 04:17 PM
"Bring back The Hat"

Turk
09-23-2019, 06:17 PM

Pitt ran the "Philly Special", the same play that the Eagles used against the Belicheats when they won the Super Bowl (Nick Foles caught the pass). The Panthers set it up the same way, with QB Pickett flapping his arms and yelling at the linemen while the snap went to the RB. The only wrinkle was that Pitt had the QB slip inside instead of flare to the corner.

A couple of young Turks were at the game and our texts crossed packets in the ether somewhere over Harrisburg. Nice bounceback for Pitt after they threw away a really good chance to beat Penn State.

Pitt runs Philly Special (https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/pitt-philly-special-ucf-eagles-trick-play-pat-narduzzi-doug-pederson-20190921.html)