PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 45, Virginia Tech 10

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Green
09-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Discuss the conference opener here. This is game one in the contest for the Coastal Division Championship. ESPN Football Power Index gives Duke a 52.8 percent chance for victory. Duke has been a solid road team under Coach Cutcliffe so they need to travel to Blacksburg and get the job done.

Reilly
09-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Both teams with byes this weekend to get ready for the Friday night game.

75Crazie
09-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Normally, nothing comes remotely close on my football wish list to a win over uNC, but this year, even though that is still #1, the VT and UVA games come very close to it. And add in Notre Dame this year as well … four hated teams (I don't really hate VT, but recent history against them puts them up there).

Devilwin
09-16-2019, 03:21 PM
I will start the predictions..Duke 31, VaTech 28..

budwom
09-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Duke was 4-0 and ranked last year when we laid a turducken egg against VT..just a woeful performance in front of a nice crowd at WW (32k+ and a 7pm TV audience.) Sure would be nice to snag a win...

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Duke was 4-0 and ranked last year when we laid a turducken egg against VT..just a woeful performance in front of a nice crowd at WW (32k+ and a 7pm TV audience.) Sure would be nice to snag a win...

Thankfully VT did NOT lose to Furman. Last year against Duke, they were coming off the defeat from ODU.

Wander
09-16-2019, 05:12 PM
FWIW, Sagarin has Duke at #52 and Virginia Tech at #85.

This is definitely winnable, and I think we can compete for the division title.

CameronBlue
09-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Duke keeps its string of 30+ games going, Duke 36 VTa 24.

OldPhiKap
09-16-2019, 05:25 PM
I'm just glad it's on a channel I can watch. LGD!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Duke keeps its string of 30+ games going, Duke 36 VTa 24.

30+ games is a lot of games! Great streak! Go Duke!

Reilly
09-16-2019, 06:54 PM
... ordered by point differential

+03 @VT 2013 (Connette's first down)
+02 @VT 2015 (4 OT; Sirk for 2)
--------------------------
-01 VT 2014 (the laces weren't straight)
-03 VT 2016
-04 VT 2011
-08 VT 2009 (Tyrod Taylor)
-11 @VT 2008 (Asack game)
-17 VT 2018
-21 @VT 2012 (Duke up 20-0)
-21 @VT 2017
-37 @VT 2010

Reilly
09-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Former SIU, NIU, and Minnesota head coach: https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/vp-sp-hokies-jerry-kill-hired-as-special-assistant-20190916-cdc4cbweirakbccr5yciovrovu-story.html

I didn't realize he worked at Rutgers as an assistant in 2017.

DU82
09-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Former SIU, NIU, and Minnesota head coach: https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/virginia-tech/vp-sp-hokies-jerry-kill-hired-as-special-assistant-20190916-cdc4cbweirakbccr5yciovrovu-story.html

I didn't realize he worked at Rutgers as an assistant in 2017.

He had to step down as Rutgers’s OC due to continued health issues.

ChapelHillDevil
09-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Biggest game for the program in years. The coastal is there for the taking

Reilly
09-16-2019, 07:42 PM
... I think we can compete for the division title.

VA 2-0 ... @UM, DU, @LV, @NC, GT, VT
NC 1-0 ... CU, @GT, @VT, DU, VA, @PT, @ST
--------------
Duke 0-0 ... @VT, PT, GT, @VA, @NC, SU, @WF, UM
---------------
VT 0-1 ... DU, @UM, NC, WF, @GT, PT, @VA
GT 0-1 ... NC, @DU, @UM, PT, @VA, VT, ST
UM 0-1 ... VT, VA, GT, @PT, @FS, LV, @DU
PT 0-1 ... @DU, @SU, UM, @GT, NC, @VT, BC

budwom
09-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Biggest game since last year's VT game when we were ranked, undefeated, and got whupped....we need a much much better effort this time...

left_hook_lacey
09-17-2019, 12:21 PM
30+ games is a lot of games! Great streak! Go Duke!

I was almost certain Duke football had played more than 30 games in a row. Maybe I'm wrong? Great streak!!😂

CameronBornAndBred
09-17-2019, 12:29 PM
I was almost certain Duke football had played more than 30 games in a row. Maybe I'm wrong? Great streak!!��

It's longer than the Cheaters', NCSU's, VT's, and ECU's streaks...they all cancelled games last year due to Florence. :cool:

Reilly
09-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Few early season injuries in VT secondary: https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/virginia-tech-calls-in-security-blanket-to-shore-up-depth/article_2225bfba-d9ba-11e9-aaaf-6f690d4218c3.html

budwom
09-18-2019, 07:44 AM
last year we made the VT quarterback look like Tom Brady...clearly need a better effort this year...I know this isn't a vintage VT team, but neither was last year's (they had a losing record).

AGDukesky
09-18-2019, 08:29 AM
last year we made the VT quarterback look like Tom Brady...clearly need a better effort this year...I know this isn't a vintage VT team, but neither was last year's (they had a losing record).

Agreed. At this point I’ll take a non-pathetic start and a competitive game into the 4th quarter. Duke was abysmal against the VA teams last season and looked completely unprepared (Wake as well)...

Troublemaker
09-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Extracting these from the basketball recruiting thread.

Now that would be something: "I will sign a letter of intent with the school that wins this afternoon's football game!"

Duke is expected to be a small favorite in the game with Va Tech.

yeah, just like last year when we were ranked, undefeated, on national TV, and laid a massive turd egg against VT...I hope they learned something from that. Maybe it helps that it's at VT...great atmosphere at last year's game, then our performance just sucked the life out of the crowd...a truly abysmal performance.

Who is expecting this? I’m not and doubt the Vegas opening line will have us favored. We shall see😏

All the computer models say Duke is favored. Sagarin's computer says we should be a 4 point favorite, even though the game is in Blacksburg.

That said, because bettors are trained to think Va Tech is good and Duke is bad, I expect the game will open very close to break-even... and I expect the sharps to be eyeing this game as one where they may be able to make some real money if the line is too pro-Va Tech.

The computer models mean very little this early in the season...I think Sagarin would readily concede this...yes, we could be favored, but I wouldn't put money on our chances at this point...

I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is not a stance on who will actually win the game because I don't pay enough attention to football, but as for the point spread, I'd be surprised if the Hokies playing at home aren't at least a field goal favorite over Duke.

And yes, beware of early season, small sample variance. Last year, the Hokies had just lost by 2 TDs to ODU before coming to Duke and drubbing us.

budwom
09-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Good news is that we are long time Duke football fans who know how to take disappointment...(though the last decade has clearly been pleasing)....hopeful about the Hokies, but won't be surprised if we win or lose...

rtnorthrup
09-18-2019, 11:35 AM
the only thing I am certain of is that the only thing I hate more than Friday night games is weekends when Duke is on a bye.

Bob Green
09-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Perhaps an advantage is gained by the game being in Blacksburg. Duke has been a solid road team during the Coach Cutcliffe era with both our wins over VT (2013 and 2015) being road wins.

We had four P5 road wins last season: Northwestern, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Miami

I also like us coming off a bye:

2018: Beat Georgia Tech
2017: Loss to Army
2016: Loss to Georgia Tech
2015: Beat Virginia Tech
2014: Beat Georgia Tech, Beat Pittsburgh
2013: Beat Navy, Beat N.C. State
2012: Loss to Georgia Tech

Starting with the first bowl eligible season under Coach Cutcliffe, Duke is 6-3 after a bye.

Wander
09-18-2019, 03:39 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents. This is not a stance on who will actually win the game because I don't pay enough attention to football, but as for the point spread, I'd be surprised if the Hokies playing at home aren't at least a field goal favorite over Duke.

And yes, beware of early season, small sample variance. Last year, the Hokies had just lost by 2 TDs to ODU before coming to Duke and drubbing us.

One last point is that there's still a week of games to be played before the line is set. Perhaps if BC is crushed by lowly Rutgers, perception is not enough to overcome the computer numbers and Duke enters as a slight favorite. Barring unusual occurrences though, I wouldn't expect Duke to be the outright favorite, and it would be more like a pick em.

That said, IMO Duke's worst performance of the season was better than Virginia Tech's best performance of the season. Maybe that is small sample stuff, but I hope we all realize that we have a real chance to win this game and run out to a 3-0 start in the ACC with strong play.

AustinDevil
09-18-2019, 04:24 PM
A few early season injuries in VT secondary: https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/virginia-tech-calls-in-security-blanket-to-shore-up-depth/article_2225bfba-d9ba-11e9-aaaf-6f690d4218c3.html

FIFY. As stated, it meant the opposite of what you intended...

Bob Green
09-18-2019, 04:33 PM
A couple of podcast links starting with the DBR podcast gang (Jason, Sam and Donald):

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-165-the-schedule-is-out

Football content starts at the 29:10 mark so feel free to fast forward through all that basketball malarkey - it is football season people!

Devils Den podcast with lots of football discussion:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/TDD-Podcast-Duke-Stomps-MTSU-135758175/

Bob Green
09-18-2019, 06:01 PM
More Virginia Tech articles:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/what-jerry-kill-s-first-order-of-business-will-be/article_5fdfb96a-d978-11e9-a2a7-7bd9c4810236.html

Offensive Coordinator Brad Cornelson on Jerry Kill's role:

Offense has been what he’s done the most throughout the years, in particular his ability in the run game, to establish the run. I think that will be the first place we go to him just for ideas and evaluation and ways that he can help us.

Freshman running back Keshawn King is talented so Duke will have to be ready to deal with him.

Head Coach Justin Fuentes hopes to have multiple players back in action against Duke but wide receiver Damon Hazelton remains an unknown:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/justin-fuente-i-really-don-t-know-when-damon-hazleton/article_1ac23c90-d900-11e9-8527-a7473fa277cd.html

A name noticeable absent from the list is starting receiver Damon Hazelton, who has missed all three games this season with an injured hamstring.

Duke fans can certainly identify with the uncertainty associated with hamstring injuries after the struggles of Aaron Young last year.

devildeac
09-18-2019, 06:36 PM
More Virginia Tech articles:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/what-jerry-kill-s-first-order-of-business-will-be/article_5fdfb96a-d978-11e9-a2a7-7bd9c4810236.html

Offensive Coordinator Brad Cornelson on Jerry Kill's role:

Freshman running back Keshawn King is talented so Duke will have to be ready to deal with him.

Head Coach Justin Fuentes hopes to have multiple players back in action against Duke but wide receiver Damon Hazelton remains an unknown:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/justin-fuente-i-really-don-t-know-when-damon-hazleton/article_1ac23c90-d900-11e9-8527-a7473fa277cd.html

Duke fans can certainly identify with the uncertainty associated with hamstring injuries after the struggles of Aaron Young last year.

I think Bracey also had a lingering hamstring injury his freshman year. Or was it a quadriceps injury? Or just an unspecified lower body injury:rolleyes:"

Reilly
09-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Duke is 2-1 against the spread; VT is 0-3 against the spread: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/virginia-tech

Reilly
09-18-2019, 07:03 PM
I count six Virginians on Duke's roster: https://goduke.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I count seventeen North Carolinians on VT's roster: https://hokiesports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

VT's roster also includes Jon Tenuta's son.

Bob Green
09-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Josh Blackwell and Quentin Harris met with the media today. Interviews are up at GoDuke.com:

Josh Blackwell (https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1775&type=Archive)

Quentin Harris (https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1776&type=Archive)

Reilly
09-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Josh Blackwell and Quentin Harris met with the media today. Interviews are up at GoDuke.com:

Josh Blackwell (https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1775&type=Archive)

Quentin Harris (https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1776&type=Archive)

Thanks for that. From Q's interview -- sounds like Bobo is back. Cool. Take the over.

Quentin spouts cliches ... and yet, I could listen to them all day. It seems like there's a lot of thoughtfulness there underneath his 'don't say toooo much' mindset. I recall Battier saying something senior year about hoping to never answer a question w/ a cliche.

I didn't realize Q's dad played for Georgia. I would like to buy stock in Q's future earnings given his academic accomplishments, work ethic, and five years' worth of Cut tutelage:

graduated from Duke in May, 2019, with a public policy studies degree, economics minor and certificate in innovation and entrepreneurship ... currently pursuing a master’s in management studies ... son of Terry and Kevin Harris ... father lettered three seasons (1982-83-84) as a defensive back at Georgia, helping the Bulldogs to a three-year record of 28-6-2, the 1982 SEC championship and three bowl appearances (1982 Sugar, 1983 Cotton & 1984 Citrus)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2019, 03:59 PM
Perhaps an advantage is gained by the game being in Blacksburg. Duke has been a solid road team during the Coach Cutcliffe era with both our wins over VT (2013 and 2015) being road wins.

I'll be there next Friday night, as I have been for the last 3 games up there, and I'm 2-1! The torrential rain during the game 2 years ago kept the women in our party away.

Anyway, looking forward to another Duke win! Duke 33 - VT 20. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

HereBeforeCoachK
09-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Agreed. At this point I’ll take a non-pathetic start and a competitive game into the 4th quarter. Duke was abysmal against the VA teams last season and looked completely unprepared (Wake as well)...

Wake? What Wake? Who is this Wake? I have no memory of any Wake.......

Bob Green
09-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Seven days (168 hours) until kick off. Bye week is so challenging to my patience.

ChapelHillDevil
09-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Beat VT and then we owe Pitt at home and we own GT. 5-1 heading to UVA ranked in the top 20 and UVA #12 in the country. Great press will happen for our program along with Daniel Jones being on a 3 or 4 game winning streak. Coach Cut parlays that into adding 6 4* recruits along with 3 more high 3* for a total class of 21. The start of becoming the old Stanford of the east. Top 15 program Set your goals high. Go Devils

Troublemaker
09-20-2019, 10:15 PM
One last point is that there's still a week of games to be played before the line is set. Perhaps if BC is crushed by lowly Rutgers, perception is not enough to overcome the computer numbers and Duke enters as a slight favorite. Barring unusual occurrences though, I wouldn't expect Duke to be the outright favorite, and it would be more like a pick em.

That said, IMO Duke's worst performance of the season was better than Virginia Tech's best performance of the season. Maybe that is small sample stuff, but I hope we all realize that we have a real chance to win this game and run out to a 3-0 start in the ACC with strong play.

I still must insist that it'll be VaTech by at least a FG. Again, I'm not picking the Hokies to win, and Duke may very well be the sharp play with sharps eventually pushing the line towards Duke. But we will open as an underdog in Blacksburg, dork rankings be damned.

(Not that any of this matters. Unless you want to bet pie/beer on it :-)

budwom
09-21-2019, 08:28 AM
I still must insist that it'll be VaTech by at least a FG. Again, I'm not picking the Hokies to win, and Duke may very well be the sharp play with sharps eventually pushing the line towards Duke. But we will open as an underdog in Blacksburg, dork rankings be damned.

Anyone who sat thru last year's VT debacle would be hard pressed to think we're favorites. Not saying we can't or won't win, but an entirely better effort will be required, including that of our coaches.

Reilly
09-21-2019, 10:52 AM
2017 - present

VT: 17-12, includes 2 bowl losses (9-8 in the ACC; 2-0 against traditional rival)
DU: 17-12, includes 2 bowl wins (6-10 in the ACC; 2-0 against traditional rival)

VT beat Duke by 21 and 17.

There's a sense that VT is on the way down and Duke on the way up.

Duke in the SRS over last three years: 37, 41, 47
VT in the SRS over the last three years: 25, 74, 106

budwom
09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
^ that's why I thought we'd give it a big effort vs VT last year, and they were simply much much better than we were. They had just come off the Old Dominion debacle, and ended up with a losing record overall.

sagegrouse
09-21-2019, 11:17 AM
^ that's why I thought we'd give it a big effort vs VT last year, and they were simply much much better than we were. They had just come off the Old Dominion debacle, and ended up with a losing record overall.

It seemed more like, "We laid an egg.... And the Gobblers sat on it."

HereBeforeCoachK
09-21-2019, 02:49 PM
It seemed more like, "We laid an egg... And the Gobblers sat on it."

If we laid an egg versus VT......what did we lay against Wake?

75Crazie
09-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Prior to the Wake no-show, there were two home games in which we were dominated … VT and UVA. In the latter, I remember thinking we were trying to compete, UVA was just a better team. I got no such sense from the VT game … Duke just plain looked uninterested, for some unknown reason. I am expecting Cutcliffe to be showing a lot of tape of that game this week.

Scorp4me
09-21-2019, 03:09 PM
That was Jones first game back and I still believe he was rushed back too fast. I don't mean they risked injury, but I thought then that Harris had just completed two successful games and should have been given a chance. Jones had 6 carries for 1 yard that game, he was simply limited. Limited by injury or limited in play calling, but it wasn't the usual game plan and it showed.

I think we get a different outcome if Jones hadn't been injured or if Harris had been allowed to play at least another game (the next game was a bye week and would have given Jones 2 more weeks to recover), especially after seeing what he has been capable of this year.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 03:09 PM
If we laid an egg versus VT...what did we lay against Wake?

Down?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-21-2019, 05:23 PM
Down?

This is the most wholesome answer I can imagine. I am proud and disappointed all at once.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 05:29 PM
This is the most wholesome answer I can imagine. I am proud and disappointed all at once.

Well . . . he asked “what,” not “who.”

richardjackson199
09-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Oh what the hell. It's been a long pie off-season. This bet is only for the first taker and bet offer expires Monday morning if no one has accepted. I'm not giving anybody the advantage information of sharp action.

I'll bet one pie that Virginia Tech wins the game. I'll be cheering for Duke 100% and for you to win the bet of course. It's just a win-win hedge for me where I have something to be happy about either way. If Duke wins this game, we'll be positioning ourselves nicely to make another bowl which would make me ecstatic this year with our tough schedule.

I just can't imagine Duke being any kind of favorite over Va Tech based on what I've seen over the years. Even when we beat them it felt like a miracle.

Who wants to win a pie when Duke wins? :cool:

devildeac
09-21-2019, 10:10 PM
If we laid an egg versus VT...what did we lay against Wake?

NSFW to describe.

arnie
09-22-2019, 06:45 AM
I just can't imagine Duke being any kind of favorite over Va Tech based on what I've seen over the years. Even when we beat them it felt like a miracle.

Odds Shark agrees with you - Va Tech a 9.5 point favorite. Surprised their line is that high and will be curious if Vegas is much different.

budwom
09-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Oh what the hell. It's been a long pie off-season. This bet is only for the first taker and bet offer expires Monday morning if no one has accepted. I'm not giving anybody the advantage information of sharp action.

I'll bet one pie that Virginia Tech wins the game. I'll be cheering for Duke 100% and for you to win the bet of course. It's just a win-win hedge for me where I have something to be happy about either way. If Duke wins this game, we'll be positioning ourselves nicely to make another bowl which would make me ecstatic this year with our tough schedule.

I have the same attitude...hoping for the best, which is possible, but expecting a loss.

szstark
09-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Odds Shark agrees with you - Va Tech a 9.5 point favorite. Surprised their line is that high and will be curious if Vegas is much different.

Take the points. I was at the VT/Furman game and they didn’t dominate a single aspect of the game. They were actually lucky to win as Furman scored with 2 minutes to go, then successfully executed the onside kick but had it overturned on review because of an “illegal block” during the kickoff. Not sure I’ve ever heard that one before, but that was end of game when the repeated attempt was unsuccessful. This is a very mediocre VT team with a less than mediocre quarterback who was booed by the home fans. No guarantees of course, but this is a very winnable game.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Take the points. I was at the VT/Furman game and they didn’t dominate a single aspect of the game. They were actually lucky to win as Furman scored with 2 minutes to go, then successfully executed the onside kick but had it overturned on review because of an “illegal block” during the kickoff. Not sure I’ve ever heard that one before, but that was end of game when the repeated attempt was unsuccessful. This is a very mediocre VT team with a less than mediocre quarterback who was booed by the home fans. No guarantees of course, but this is a very winnable game.

Agree 100% with this...

roywhite
09-22-2019, 10:54 AM

The basic theme of this matchup has been Duke beaten badly at the line of scrimmage, getting pushed around by stronger, quicker VT pass rushers in particular. The path to a Duke victory is a narrow one IMO, and depends on Quentin Harris playing very well. Which could happen.

75Crazie
09-22-2019, 11:10 AM
I'm seeing many of the same types of comments that I saw last year at this time before the VT game. I am very nervous about this game, regardless of what VT has shown prior to now. Duke needs an 'A' effort in this game.

budwom
09-22-2019, 01:05 PM
The basic theme of this matchup has been Duke beaten badly at the line of scrimmage, getting pushed around by stronger, quicker VT pass rushers in particular. The path to a Duke victory is a narrow one IMO, and depends on Quentin Harris playing very well. Which could happen.

yup, they rushed very few guys and still got pressure on Jones last year...nor could we run...as true as the comments are about the lousy Furman performance, VT was arguably worse vs Old Dominion last year before dominating Duke, so I take little solace in the Furman showing. I'm sure our lads know how poorly they played last year, so I'm at least expecting an effort out of them this year. This team is well capable of beating or losing to any team left on its schedule. But there's little margin for error.

Bob Green
09-22-2019, 01:36 PM
yup, they rushed very few guys and still got pressure on Jones last year...nor could we run....

I'm in the wait and see mode like many other folks are because VT has had our number the past couple seasons. The O-line is going to have to play better so our offense can sustain drives, score points and keep our defense rested. As I stated up thread, perhaps we will gain an advantage being on the road.

richardjackson199
09-22-2019, 02:43 PM

It looks like lines are opening as Va Tech -6.5 to -7 point favorites. My pie bet proposal was in response to folks using stats to say that Duke should be a slight favorite. I just could not believe that Duke would really be a favorite to win this game. It's too early in the season for those stats to be as meaningful.

If Kedsy disagrees, then Kedsy is right. My pie bet proposal was purely based on my eye test and recency bias for every time I've watched us play Va Tech since they joined the conference. Bad way to gamble, I know. But that's the beauty of gambling. Anybody can have a theory and anybody can put their money or their pie where their mouth is. And you don't have to be remotely right to win or lose. But it helps to be lucky.

budwom
09-22-2019, 04:12 PM
It looks like lines are opening as Va Tech -6.5 to -7 point favorites. My pie bet proposal was in response to folks using stats to say that Duke should be a slight favorite. I just could not believe that Duke would really be a favorite to win this game. It's too early in the season for those stats to be as meaningful.

If Kedsy disagrees, then Kedsy is right. My pie bet proposal was purely based on my eye test and recency bias for every time I've watched us play Va Tech since they joined the conference. Bad way to gamble, I know. But that's the beauty of gambling. Anybody can have a theory and anybody can put their money or their pie where their mouth is. And you don't have to be remotely right to win or lose. But it helps to be lucky.

yeah, too early for Sagarin to mean anything...line opened at VT -7, now -5....I wouldn't bet either way on this game, but for those who think Duke should be favored, here's an opportunity.

Troublemaker
09-22-2019, 06:20 PM

Well, you weren't going to get any takers on that once I had weighed in that VT was going to be the favorite. One might dare to bet richardjackson but probably not richardjackson backed by Troublemaker's point spread opinion ;-)

yeah, too early for Sagarin to mean anything...line opened at VT -7, now -5...I wouldn't bet either way on this game, but for those who think Duke should be favored, here's an opportunity.

My instinct -- and it's pure instinct as I don't really know football -- tells me Duke is the right side / the sharp side / a good bet / will cover this spread. But yeah, it was basically impossible for VaTech to not be favored.

Reilly
09-22-2019, 06:50 PM
... My instinct ... tells me Duke ... will cover this spread ...

FWIW, the various Hokies I know (long-time fans; season-ticket holders; the kind of folks who travel to BC for the opener) are more despondent about their team than I can ever recall.

richardjackson199
09-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Well, you weren't going to get any takers on that once I had weighed in that VT was going to be the favorite. One might dare to bet richardjackson but probably not richardjackson backed by Troublemaker's point spread opinion ;-)

My instinct -- and it's pure instinct as I don't really know football -- tells me Duke is the right side / the sharp side / a good bet / will cover this spread. But yeah, it was basically impossible for VaTech to not be favored.

I was counting on the dare to bet richardjackson factor! :cool: I know how to lose some pie bets. I bet on the Warriors last year to win the playoffs and subsequently almost every all-star on their team ruptured a major lower extremity connective tissue.

Somebody agrees with you on Duke being the sharp side. Just today the line has already been bet down from Open -7 points to now consensus Va Tech -2.5.

Go Duke! I just hope we find a way to win. It would be huge.

Reilly
09-22-2019, 08:29 PM
... the line has already been bet down from Open -7 points to now consensus Va Tech -2.5 ...

Holy Moly.

That is the largest, quickest drop in a betting line that I've ever seen. This afternoon, it was VT -6.5, and I texted many VT fans I know praying that the line would 'only' be bet down to VT -4 by the time I could engage a legal establishment on my way to the game game next Friday .... and just hours later it is VT -2.5 ...

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Reilly
09-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Now hearing things about the VT QB and a walking boot ...

whereinthehellami
09-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Here is a link to a Duke-VT preview (https://bourbonstreet.sportswar.com/your-duke-friday-night-lights-football-preview-is-up/) from a VT guy. His writing style is out there but he has a really good feel for VT football and some interesting takes.

budwom
09-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Here is a link to a Duke-VT preview (https://bourbonstreet.sportswar.com/your-duke-friday-night-lights-football-preview-is-up/) from a VT guy. His writing style is out there but he has a really good feel for VT football and some interesting takes.

ouch, a dollar to anyone who can read all of that...the drop in the line really is impressive...let's hope our OL puts on a better show than they did last year....DBs as well...

Bob Green
09-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Now hearing things about the VT QB and a walking boot ...

He was hurt at end of Furman game. The back up QB played at least one series. My memory cannot recall the details.

Bob Green
09-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Defensive End TyJuan Garbutt expected to be back on the field against Duke:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/bud-foster-anticipating-tech-defender-tyjuan-garbutt-will-be-back/article_a76c99a8-de21-11e9-9099-afc18560997d.html

Defensive Coordinator Bud Foster on Garbutt:

Ty arguably might have been one of our top four or five guys defensively going into the season. He’s fast. He’s physical. I think he will bring some element of pass rush and toughness.

VegasInsider composite odds currently have VT -3 with the Over/Under set at 56. If I was betting, I would take the Under because I have faith in our defense.

Bob Green
09-23-2019, 03:54 PM
He was hurt at end of Furman game. The back up QB played at least one series. My memory cannot recall the details.

This article says Willis was out of the game because he had the wind knocked out of him:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/tech-quarterback-ryan-willis-wasn-t-worried-about-getting-pulled/article_56ae68bc-d72c-11e9-a11f-f36d38578669.html

Virginia Tech quarterback Hendon Hooker did make a brief appearance handing off to Tre Turner when Willis had the wind knocked out of him after a 5-yard run in the fourth quarter.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2019, 04:10 PM
VegasInsider composite odds currently have VT -3 with the Over/Under set at 56. If I was betting, I would take the Under because I have faith in our defense.

Agree, 56 looks kinda fluffy for the O/U

scottdude8
09-23-2019, 04:15 PM
It's worth noting that right now every team in the ACC Coastal besides Virginia and UNC (and us, who haven't played a conference game yet) already have a conference loss. Moreover, we're lucky enough to avoid Clemson and Florida State (I know they're down, but they still have talent) in intra-division play. Combine that with UNC's loss to App State, and you'd have to think that if we win Friday we'll be the primary competition to Virginia in the division. That's a lot to play for.

duke2x
09-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Agree, 56 looks kinda fluffy for the O/U

I think it's reasonable. VT's FBS averages are 30 and 26. They have two good data points in ODU and BC. We remain unknown at this point. The only comparable ACC team to AL is Clemson, which is miles ahead of the 13 dwarfs, and MTSU is a step below ODU and BC.

I do agree we probably have to hold VT under 30 to win this one.

DU82
09-23-2019, 05:55 PM
It's worth noting that right now every team in the ACC Coastal besides Virginia and UNC (and us, who haven't played a conference game yet) already have a conference loss. Moreover, we're lucky enough to avoid Clemson and Florida State (I know they're down, but they still have talent) in intra-division play. Combine that with UNC's loss to App State, and you'd have to think that WHEN we win Friday we'll be the primary competition to Virginia in the division. That's a lot to play for.

FIFY

Bob Green
09-23-2019, 06:08 PM

At this point, I have a high degree of confidence in our defense. Dismissing the Alabama game, because they have a Heisman Trophy Candidate QB and four future NFL receivers, the defense has allowed 15.5 points per game so I am looking for us to hold Virginia Tech to around 20 points. The offense has been explosive in two wins but the VT defense will be a step up over NC A&T and MTSU so we will score less than the 43 points per game we averaged in those two wins.

I'm expecting a total points somewhere in the 40s, perhaps less, so the Under looks good.

And just for the fun of it I'll predict: Duke 24, Virginia Tech 14.

jv001
09-23-2019, 07:47 PM
I think the line came down because of "Danny Dimes" game yesterday. The odds makers finally agreed Duke and Coach Cut are QB whisperers. Harris to go for 4 TDs and 300+ yards against VT. :cool:

GoDuke!

budwom
09-23-2019, 07:49 PM
I think it's reasonable. VT's FBS averages are 30 and 26. They have two good data points in ODU and BC. We remain unknown at this point. The only comparable ACC team to AL is Clemson, which is miles ahead of the 13 dwarfs, and MTSU is a step below ODU and BC.

Last year we could have held them to 15 and still lost. We need a vastly improved performance this year.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2019, 07:59 PM
.....as an aside, Hunter Johnson, who transferred to NW from Clemson (and was recruited by Duke) is listed as one of three prominent busts this season by ESPN....

duke2x
09-23-2019, 08:04 PM
VT surrendered 34 PPG in non-Duke FBS games.
First and foremost, this was a bad matchup last year. That could still exist this year.
It was a perfect storm. Jones had just returned from injury, and VT was motivated from a humiliating loss to ODU (for them). This won't repeat.

I save predictions for the end of the week. I'm not confident in this one, but it's not unreasonable.

OldPhiKap
09-23-2019, 08:09 PM
We’re gonna win this one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-23-2019, 10:13 PM
We’re gonna win this one.

I'm with you on this one. After the game, turkey legs for all!

English
09-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Last year we could have held them to 15 and still lost. We need a vastly improved performance this year.

Jeez, I'm having trouble remembering what happened in this game last season. Could you remind us...again? Wow, catching up on this thread now that we're moving toward gameday and, based on your handful of comments, maybe I'll just skip the game entirely. You know, because last season we played terribly.

Our newfound offensive weapons in the receiving game are as encouraging a unit as I can remember in the last few years of Duke football, and that wasn't even supposed to be a strength. Hopefully our running game can back up its preseason hype with the help of OLine play and QH opening things up. As others have pointed out, our defense has been solid. I'm cautiously optimistic, and not a bit surprised to see the line dip precipitously. The service I have says it opened at -2 and got pushed to -2.5, but perhaps that's an outlier. The O/U dropped from 53.5 to 52. I'm staying away from this one, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Duke takes it straight up.

Bob Green
09-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Steve Wiseman on Aaron Young:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article235209837.html

Coach Cutcliffe:

Emotions, injuries all that he’s been through has grown him. He’s growing as a young man. I know his family is proud of him. You think about it, you are going into your fifth year, you’re from California, the script hasn’t been written just like you’d wanted it to. And now he is finding himself. Now my job is to make sure he maintains that same spirit.

Some more of those spectacular TD catches will keep a lot of spirits high!

devildeac
09-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Steve Wiseman on Aaron Young:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article235209837.html

Coach Cutcliffe:

Some more of those spectacular TD catches will keep a lot of spirits high!

Beat me to it, Bob. I read that this AM and am very happy for Mr. Young, Cut, Duke and the way he's started this year.

nocilla
09-24-2019, 03:14 PM
What stood out from my memory of last years game was the 2 dropped long passes that would have setup first and goal. Both were in the first half and to me, that was the ballgame. Catch those 2 and we had a whole different atmosphere in the stadium. But both went off the fingertips of the receivers and we never seemed to recover offensively. I don't remember us even trying the deep ball much in the second half.

Bob Green
09-24-2019, 04:03 PM
The early bye is good timing for us, of course Virginia Tech is also coming off a bye. Last season Duke was a tired team playing their fifth straight game with injuries starting to impact team performance:

1. CB Mark Gilbert had already been lost for the year.
2. WR Aaron Young did not play
3. DT Edgar Cerenord did not play
4. CB Michael Carter did not play
5. C/G Zach Harmon did not play
6. S Jeremy McDuffie was limited (my memory says he only played two or three snaps)

I haven't seen any injury update for Friday's game, perhaps later in the week, but I am optimistic we will be in better health than last year. We, especially me, were full of optimism due to our 4-0 start and Top 25 ranking but Duke was a tired, hurt team when they took the field against Virginia Tech.

Bob Green
09-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Jim Sumner VT game preview article is up on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/9/24/20881304/next-up-for-football-virginia-tech-duke-football

Give it a read, give Jim some props by discussing the game and his article.

budwom
09-24-2019, 05:05 PM
Jeez, I'm having trouble remembering what happened in this game last season. Could you remind us...again? Wow, catching up on this thread now that we're moving toward gameday and, based on your handful of comments, maybe I'll just skip the game entirely. You know, because last season we played terribly.

Our newfound offensive weapons in the receiving game are as encouraging a unit as I can remember in the last few years of Duke football, and that wasn't even supposed to be a strength. Hopefully our running game can back up its preseason hype with the help of OLine play and QH opening things up. As others have pointed out, our defense has been solid. I'm cautiously optimistic, and not a bit surprised to see the line dip precipitously. The service I have says it opened at -2 and got pushed to -2.5, but perhaps that's an outlier. The O/U dropped from 53.5 to 52. I'm staying away from this one, but wouldn't be at all surprised if Duke takes it straight up.

Sorry to offend you sir or madam! I just thought we could use some balance with folks declaring we should be favorites....the thread is filled with what a former DC resident termed irrational exuberance.
I'd love to be wrong and will gladly sustain the ensuing mockage.
I spent about $500 watching last year's debacle, so I'm going to self entitle myself to maybe one or two more references.

Bob Green
09-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Jim's article that I linked has some good quotes from Chris Rumph and some good quotes from Coach Cutcliffe on Chris Rumph. Additionally, there is updated injury information: wide receiver Jake Bobo will play giving Quentin Harris another weapon while running back Brittain Brown will make the trip but it is not guaranteed he will play. He is practicing but no contact yet.

I encourage everyone to read and discuss the article.

chrishoke
09-25-2019, 08:02 AM
Jim's article that I linked has some good quotes from Chris Rumph and some good quotes from Coach Cutcliffe on Chris Rumph. Additionally, there is updated injury information: wide receiver Jake Bobo will play giving Quentin Harris another weapon while running back Brittain Brown will make the trip but it is not guaranteed he will play. He is practicing but no contact yet.

I encourage everyone to read and discuss the article.

That's really bad news re Britain. We need his powerful inside the tackles running against VT.

budwom
09-25-2019, 08:14 AM
That's really bad news re Britain. We need his powerful inside the tackles running against VT.

He's a terrific talent, but it's beginning to look like he just can't stay healthy, which is most unfortunate. He had only 80 carries last season, we could have used a whole lot more.

chrishoke
09-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Some great and interesting quotes from Cut's Tuesday press conferenced.

"You know, myself, Trooper Taylor, Zac Roper … Scott Bracey is really bright. He's in graduate school right now. And he gets it. He understands and I think you have to reinforce, reinforce, reinforce. But Trooper's energy has tried to make it a little bit fun for him. And we can't forget as coaches that the game itself –football you play it because it's fun. You shouldn't be playing it because you think you're going to get your school paid for. You shouldn't be playing in college thinking you're going to be a pro football player and get big money. You have to ultimately, deeply play the game because you love the game. And we have to help that. I think Scott's found that love again in the game."

"Yeah, I don't think it's a question. We've still had a little bit of this. But I may have mentioned this earlier. We had 62 missed sacks a year ago. So sometimes when you win the battle and you don't get the prize, winning the battle is not enough. You've got to win the battle and get the prize. We've worked hard on that. There's a great emphasis on that."

"Yeah, and you're asking a question about Daniel Jones. I can kind of leave the other side that's so emotional to me behind. I've never done this. I will share this with you guys. We practiced Sunday. We were watching practice tape. I knew it was about fourth quarter time. I said, what the heck guys. This is ridiculous. I said, 'you young people I know can stream it in here.' So we streamed it in both staff rooms on the big screen. Saw the whole fourth quarter. You have never heard such a ruckus. I mean, we were so jacked up and there was something about that kicker's look in his eye. I mean, I knew he was going to miss it. I'm not being – I'm not a soothsayer but when that missed, we were dancing all over the Yoh on the fourth floor. I'm surprised that Adam (Barkley) wasn't up there videoing it."

devildeac
09-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Some great and interesting quotes from Cut's Tuesday press conferenced.

"You know, myself, Trooper Taylor, Zac Roper … Scott Bracey is really bright. He's in graduate school right now. And he gets it. He understands and I think you have to reinforce, reinforce, reinforce. But Trooper's energy has tried to make it a little bit fun for him. And we can't forget as coaches that the game itself –football you play it because it's fun. You shouldn't be playing it because you think you're going to get your school paid for. You shouldn't be playing in college thinking you're going to be a pro football player and get big money. You have to ultimately, deeply play the game because you love the game. And we have to help that. I think Scott's found that love again in the game."

"Yeah, I don't think it's a question. We've still had a little bit of this. But I may have mentioned this earlier. We had 62 missed sacks a year ago. So sometimes when you win the battle and you don't get the prize, winning the battle is not enough. You've got to win the battle and get the prize. We've worked hard on that. There's a great emphasis on that."

"Yeah, and you're asking a question about Daniel Jones. I can kind of leave the other side that's so emotional to me behind. I've never done this. I will share this with you guys. We practiced Sunday. We were watching practice tape. I knew it was about fourth quarter time. I said, what the heck guys. This is ridiculous. I said, 'you young people I know can stream it in here.' So we streamed it in both staff rooms on the big screen. Saw the whole fourth quarter. You have never heard such a ruckus. I mean, we were so jacked up and there was something about that kicker's look in his eye. I mean, I knew he was going to miss it. I'm not being – I'm not a soothsayer but when that missed, we were dancing all over the Yoh on the fourth floor. I'm surprised that Adam (Barkley) wasn't up there videoing it."

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Duke plays Friday night.....any chance of a Daniel Jones sighting on the sidelines?

Zion033090
09-25-2019, 12:31 PM
https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/LongFormArticle/Virginia-Tech-Hokies-Football-Complete-Preview-vs-Duke-Blue-Devils-September-27-136087943/#136087943_9

This guy put together the most thorough and informative football game preview I have ever read. He's not sounding too positive about the Hokies chances Friday night. I love the DBR, have been reading for many years, and think our writers do a great job, but this site offers something on a whole new level.

arnie
09-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Duke plays Friday night....any chance of a Daniel Jones sighting on the sidelines?

Only if he doesn’t mind bottles thrown at him - oh, wait, we’re not playing the Terps, never mind.

roywhite
09-25-2019, 12:46 PM
Only if he doesn’t mind bottles thrown at him - oh, wait, we’re not playing the Terps, never mind.

The Terps will be occupied with a Penn State visit Friday night.

The series currently stands at 39-2-1 in Penn State's favor and I see the strong likelihood of more disappointment for those nasty Terp fans. Interesting that the line is only about 7 points.

budwom
09-25-2019, 12:50 PM
https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/LongFormArticle/Virginia-Tech-Hokies-Football-Complete-Preview-vs-Duke-Blue-Devils-September-27-136087943/#136087943_9

This guy put together the most thorough and informative football game preview I have ever read. He's not sounding too positive about the Hokies chances Friday night. I love the DBR, have been reading for many years, and think our writers do a great job, but this site offers something on a whole new level.

That was pretty thorough...just a few quibbles: McSwain is a Senior, not a freshman; I don't really see the point of comparing Duke OL with VT OL, etc, right down the line since they don't compete with each other.
Most of all, given the good in depth analysis, I wish he'd predicted a score (couldn't find one)...

AGDukesky
09-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Nothing fishy here...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-25-2019, 12:59 PM

The series currently stands at 39-2-1 in Penn State's favor and I see the strong likelihood of more disappointment for those nasty Terp fans. Interesting that the line is only about 7 points.
I don't have much use for Maryland fans who are rude and dangerous, but I do like to see Scottie Montgomery succeed. ;)

Highlander
09-25-2019, 01:57 PM
So RichardJackson199, did anyone officially take you up on your pie bet? Was it VT straight up over Duke?

Bob Green
09-25-2019, 04:14 PM
The Roanoke Times links:

Virginia Tech looking for continuity on offensive line coming out of bye week (https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/virginia-tech-looking-for-continuity-on-offensive-line-coming-out/article_6870af7c-df4e-11e9-9b8a-87ab827428a0.html)

QB Ryan Willis article (https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/downfall-of-his-competitiveness-ryan-willis-taking-recent-injury-scares/article_e7d9dce2-de46-11e9-a07f-eb9e19673f3b.html)

Lunch Pail Podcast (https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/lunch-pail-podcast-will-duke-game-be-a-tipping-point/article_2dc340b6-df5c-11e9-8f19-83dfaf1b667e.html)

luvdahops
09-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Both teams have been tough to figure so far. The transitive property of football scores suggests Penn State should win handily, given that they put a 45-13 whipping on Buffalo, who knocked off Temple 38-22, a week after the Owls had nudged Maryland by a FG (20-17).

But Maryland's dismantling of Syracuse is the most impressive showing to date by either team, and Penn State really scuffled at home against Pitt. So who knows? But it would not shock me to see a Terp victory, not that I'm pulling for it.

Bob Green
09-25-2019, 05:33 PM
I listened to a bunch of the Lunch Pail Podcast linked above, not all of it but a bunch, and was not overly impressed. The hosts said some nice things about Coach Cutcliffe but they did not seem knowledgeable on the Duke team. One of the hosts stated (paraphrase), "They don't have a lot of play makers. Quentin Harris is probably their best offensive player but he doesn't have anything around him." Without saying it outright, they dismissed Duke's offensive explosion at MTSU as against inferior competition.

Both hosts predict a close game with one guy saying Duke will win:

Host #1: Virginia Tech 28, Duke 21
Host #2: Duke 34, Virginia Tech 21

As for their comments on the Hokies, lots of frustration with the running game and concerns the fan base will give up on the team.

Bob Green
09-25-2019, 06:13 PM
Jim Sumner on wide receiver Scott Bracey:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/9/25/20883063/scott-bracey-figuring-it-out-duke-football

Bracey has seven catches after three games, including a spectacular 37-yard jump ball against Alabama. He’s also emerged as the best blocker at the wide-receiver position. Watch the block he threw for Jalon Calhoun against Middle Tennessee State.

chrishoke
09-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Jim Sumner on wide receiver Scott Bracey:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/9/25/20883063/scott-bracey-figuring-it-out-duke-football

That block was indeed a beauty.

chrishoke
09-26-2019, 08:58 AM
What uniforms are we wearing Friday night?

PDDuke85
09-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Blue hats with black shirts and pants

mattman91
09-26-2019, 09:31 AM

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/status/1176858901939015680?s=19

CameronBornAndBred
09-26-2019, 09:45 AM

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/status/1176858901939015680?s=19

Rut-roh, Elroy...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-26-2019, 10:29 AM

The Stealth ;)

mattman91
09-26-2019, 10:41 AM
Call me new school, but I dig the black uniforms - especially for night games.

Acymetric
09-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Call me new school, but I dig the black uniforms - especially for night games.

I think the black uniforms are fine, although sometimes we mix and match them with the other colors in really weird ways.

The only uniforms that never look good on their own or mixed with the other colors are the awful, awful grays.

mattman91
09-26-2019, 11:31 AM
I think the black uniforms are fine, although sometimes we mix and match them with the other colors in really weird ways.

The only uniforms that never look good on their own or mixed with the other colors are the awful, awful grays.

Agreed. Those are awful.

PDDuke85
09-26-2019, 11:43 AM
They can wear chartreuse as long as they secure a win

HereBeforeCoachK
09-26-2019, 01:08 PM

When they go black, they should go all black....including the black hats.

Reddevil
09-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Does this mean VT is doing the white-out thing?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Does this mean VT is doing the white-out thing?

I wondered about that...I've also noticed some games on Thur/Fri nights over the years where both teams wear colors....as long as they contrast with each other. So we might see that burnt orange versus the black Friday...an early Halloween look. :cool:

I don't think the burgandy would contrast enough with the black....

hallcity
09-26-2019, 04:55 PM
I wondered about that...I've also noticed some games on Thur/Fri nights over the years where both teams wear colors...as long as they contrast with each other. So we might see that burnt orange versus the black Friday...an early Halloween look. :cool:

I don't think the burgandy would contrast enough with the black...

Must be tough for color blind players.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Must be tough for color blind players.

I hadn't thought about that.....then again, a few years ago when Miami and VT played one of these games, it was tough on those who can see color....VERY tough...

Avvocato
09-26-2019, 08:02 PM
I think at 2-1 we are right where we needed to be heading into VT on Friday. The last two games were must wins, but we also did it in a way that the offense built up a great deal of confidence after the Alabama game. Harris has played well, the receivers have been outstanding. I'm a little surprised that we have not been able to establish a consistent running game they way I expected. Brown seems banged up again, but in general, it's really Harris and our passing that has carried the load. Now that the ACC season is upon us, I think we'll get a real good look at what our team real is about on Friday. We are going to have to establish the run against ACC teams to be successful. Let's also see how Harris plays against Power 5 teams (not named Alabama). The Virginia Tech defense is not the scary defense of years past. We also seem to play better on the road for some reason. I think this game is there for the taking. If we don't turn the ball over, I think we take this one. I'm going to go 27-17, Duke. I think we're due against these guys. Let's get it done. Can't wait. Let's go Duke!

Avvocato
09-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Any news on whether Jake Bobo is expected to play? I can't find anything definitive. It's funny. We talk about Bobo as if he's headed to the Duke hall of fame. In reality, he's not really had a major role on the team yet, though, like others, I expect him to be a big part once he's healthy and back in the mix. However, whenever he's ready, he's joining a really impressive group of young receivers on our team. Between Calhoun, Pancol and Bobo, and maybe we even lump in Bracey with that group, we have an unexpectedly nice group of young and talented receivers. Can't wait to see this group develop. While I'm not thinking about next year yet, whoever our quarterback is next year, he'll have nice talent around him. As for Friday, can't wait to see this group go to work. Hopefully they keep it up in ACC play.

jimsumner
09-26-2019, 08:44 PM
Any news on whether Jake Bobo is expected to play? I can't find anything definitive. It's funny. We talk about Bobo as if he's headed to the Duke hall of fame. In reality, he's not really had a major role on the team yet, though, like others, I expect him to be a big part once he's healthy and back in the mix. However, whenever he's ready, he's joining a really impressive group of young receivers on our team. Between Calhoun, Pancol and Bobo, and maybe we even lump in Bracey with that group, we have an unexpectedly nice group of young and talented receivers. Can't wait to see this group develop. While I'm not thinking about next year yet, whoever our quarterback is next year, he'll have nice talent around him. As for Friday, can't wait to see this group go to work. Hopefully they keep it up in ACC play.

Bobo is expected to play.

chrishoke
09-26-2019, 08:44 PM

Bobo will play.

richardjackson199
09-26-2019, 10:23 PM
So RichardJackson199, did anyone officially take you up on your pie bet? Was it VT straight up over Duke?

Yeah nobody took that bet. Understandable. Line is currently Hokies -3. I proposed that bet when there was speculation that Duke was the slight favorite. Go Duke! I just want a win, or at least a pie. ;)

peloton
09-27-2019, 12:58 AM
Game day! I have faith that Quentin and the team will get it done up in Hokieville. Let's go Duke!!

Bob Green
09-27-2019, 04:49 AM
Between Calhoun, Pancol and Bobo, and maybe we even lump in Bracey with that group, we have an unexpectedly nice group of young and talented receivers.

Don't forget about Aaron Young who is outstanding when healthy and so far this season he is healthy.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-27-2019, 06:55 AM
Beat VT!

Duke 31 - VT 27

I’ll be there rooting us on!

Avvocato
09-27-2019, 07:30 AM
Don't forget about Aaron Young who is outstanding when healthy and so far this season he is healthy.

Totally agree. I was just focusing on the young core in that thought. Young has been great this year and brings important experience. Hope he stays healthy (knock on wood).

chrishoke
09-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Game day Devils! We owe the Hokies big time. Time to kick dome butt.

left_hook_lacey
09-27-2019, 08:09 AM
Lines opened at VT -7, then dropped to VT -2 and stayed there.

Sounds like Vegas was trying to cash in on school name only, but savvy bettors were having none of it and scooping up the favorable Duke pick early, forcing a drastic line change.

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 08:22 AM
I’m trying hard not to let the trauma from last year’s game bias me too much. Still, I feel the team will compete well but fall short on the road 27-20.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 08:30 AM
I felt very uneasy about the game last season, when many expected Duke to win. I never did.....put us on TV at night as a favorite at home, and we tank.

This week, I feel much better about our chances. Had some nice wins at VT....I see another one.....31-17

devildeac
09-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Another nice preview/perspective about tonight's game from Steve Wiseman:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article235454567.html

"During the last few months, Duke’s players and coaches worked to make things tougher on opposing quarterbacks this season and that labor appears to be paying off."

Bob Green
09-27-2019, 11:33 AM
What I am looking for tonight:

1. Toughness/compete for 60 minutes - commentary from coaches and players this week confirms what we all saw on the field the past couple games against VT, the Hokies out competed us they out toughed us. Our Blue Devils need to be the tougher, more fiery team on the field to secure a win.

2. Turnovers - Virginia Tech has turned the ball over a lot so far this season. Their turnover margin is -6 which ranks 126 out of 130 in FBS. Duke isn't setting the world on fire at -2 (106). Ryan Willis has thrown 4 interceptions, while Duke has intercepted their opponent zero times. The defensive line has to pressure Willis so he makes mistakes, as Coach Cutcliffe says "make him uncomfortable" and the secondary has to pick off a pass or two. Bottom line is we must win the turnover battle.

3. Run the ball - Duke has been okay running the ball averaging 181 yards per game which ranks 6 of 14 in the ACC but the running game was supposed to be ahead of the passing game. I really desire to see us establish the running game and jam the ball down VT's throat.

I could list a half dozen more items but those are the Top 3 desires for tonight.

budwom
09-27-2019, 01:06 PM
^ yup, we need that. Willis killed us last year with 20 yards/completion...DBs need to be better, DL needs to apply more pressure, and we have to score some points, with the ground game being required.
Big opportunity tonight...

p.s. CollegeFootballNews does a good job previewing games, they have Duke winning 30-27...they note that VT is turnover prone but Duke forces few turnovers...

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/09/duke-vs-virginia-tech-fearless-prediction-game-preview

dukie’s_daughter
09-27-2019, 01:35 PM
From the article linked by budworm:

“Virginia Tech has won three in a row in the series and has gone 14-1 since dropping the 1951 showdown 55-6.”

I could have sworn we won 2 in a row in Blacksburg fairly recently...

I want credit for each and every victory!!

Let’s Go DUKE!!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 02:01 PM

“Virginia Tech has won three in a row in the series and has gone 14-1 since dropping the 1951 showdown 55-6.”

Let’s Go DUKE!!

you are right.....one root canal defensive contest and then an overtime shootout I believe.....

chrishoke
09-27-2019, 03:25 PM
VPI has always been susceptible go the QB run. Last year DJ was coming back from injury and couldn't/didn't run. I imagine our game plan includes significant opportunities for Q to run.

budwom
09-27-2019, 03:31 PM
VPI has always been susceptible go the QB run. Last year DJ was coming back from injury and couldn't/didn't run. I imagine our game plan includes significant opportunities for Q to run.

Stay healthy, Q, it's not like we have a phalanx of QBs behind you on the bench!

chrishoke
09-27-2019, 03:34 PM
Speaking of health:

Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC

Good news for Duke's offense tonight at Virginia Tech. Sophomore WR Jake Bobo is ready to go --100 pct according to Cutcliffe. He's yet to play this season but was in uniform and available two weeks ago at Middle Tenn.
RB Brittain Brown (upper body) also available. :)

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Stay healthy, Q, it's not like we have a phalanx of QBs behind you on the bench!

And VT has a history of cheap-shotting our QBs...

arnie
09-27-2019, 03:39 PM

I want credit for each and every victory!!

Let’s Go DUKE!!

Recall we also won a close one in the 1980s long before they were ACC.

Bob Green
09-27-2019, 03:57 PM
RB Brittain Brown (upper body) also available. :)

Great news! A healthy Brittain Brown should be a big boost to the running game.

Bob Green
09-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Duke 14, Virginia Tech 7 on 10/10/1981.

jimsumner
09-27-2019, 04:03 PM

Late pick-six by Dennis Tabron.

arnie
09-27-2019, 04:21 PM
Late pick-six by Dennis Tabron.

Good memories

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 04:26 PM
And VT has a history of cheap-shotting our QBs...

THIS ^^^.....yep

sagegrouse
09-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Then there was the insult delivered by Wallace Wade. Ace Parker, a five-sport star in Tidewater Virginia, showed up at Duke for a recruiting visit. Wallace Wade asked, "Where are you thinking of going?" "VPI," responded Parker. "Well, you should probably go there. You are probably not good enough to play here." In September 1933 he showed up at Duke and became a consensus All-American.

In 1937 and 1938 he played in both major league baseball and the NFL. He was all-pro a few times and NFL MVP in 1940.

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 07:04 PM
Have I missed an announcement about in game chat this year?

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Really good defensive series

JetpackJesus
09-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Have I missed an announcement about in game chat this year?

I popped over to the Chat a few minutes ago. It's empty.

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Not a very good offensive series

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 07:18 PM
I popped over to the Chat a few minutes ago. It's empty.

Where is chat?

DU82
09-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Where is chat?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Not a very good offensive series

Looked like they were trying to keep all receivers in the 5 yard area...and amazingly, there was no separation...the Zac Attack...3-3 passing 3 yards, maybe 4.

Devilwin
09-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Offense is a mess so far.

arnie
09-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Looked like they were trying to keep all receivers in the 5 yard area...and amazingly, there was no separation...the Zac Attack...3-3 passing 3 yards, maybe 4.

Rough start on O. Should be a very low scoring game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 07:25 PM
Huge mistake on kick coverage. Ugh.

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Offense is a mess so far.

Yep. Hope we rediscover our offensive mojo soon. The defense can’t stay on the field all night.

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Too many mental mistakes is going to cost us

GGLC
09-27-2019, 07:34 PM
That was a great interception. Too bad it didn't get called as such.

SouthernDukie
09-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Feels like VT has our playbook - literally!

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 07:37 PM
The offense is embarrassing

hallcity
Offensive line not getting the job done. We could lose this thing 17-0.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15

Can't imagine why they bothered to review.

Papa John
09-27-2019, 07:38 PM

Why was it not an interception? Was there an explanation? It looked pretty obvious to me, but I'm also trying to cook dinner so perhaps I missed something?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Possible that our offense is really bad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Why was it not an interception? Was there an explanation? It looked pretty obvious to me, but I'm also trying to cook dinner so perhaps I missed something?

It was roughing the passer. Legit call. The result of the pass was irrelevant.

arnie
09-27-2019, 07:44 PM

Guess Harris has never practiced with the current receivers?

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 07:45 PM

The biggest issue is Harris throwing the ball. The receivers are getting open but his throws are way off target.

PDDuke85
09-27-2019, 07:45 PM
The QB /receiver disconnect is frustrating

rsvman
09-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Sad, sad excuse for an offense so far.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2019, 07:48 PM
Hope our defense is in great shape. They could be on the field a lot tonight at this rate.

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 07:48 PM
I thought we looked better to start the game against Alabama

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Gotta fall on that ball!

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Hey now!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 07:51 PM
So, okay.

Troublemaker
09-27-2019, 07:51 PM
I liked how our guy tried to "scoop and score" there. Given how bad the offense has been, it was worth the risk. Still got possession.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Box score stats should be a hoot right now.

ehdg
09-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Sorry tuned in late how did we score on 1 play?

Troublemaker
09-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Hope our defense is in great shape. They could be on the field a lot tonight at this rate.

Yeah, even though we have the lead and the ball right now, I would still say it's a 50/50 game (i.e. no favorite) because of how long our D has been on the field.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Little rhythm on offense...

ehdg
09-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Darn better throw n that’s 7!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Dang son. Harris going hard.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 08:08 PM
VaTech looks wildly frustrated. Makes me happy.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Way more composure now. I like it!

arnie
VaTech looks wildly frustrated. Makes me happy.

14-3. Could have fooled me 15 minutes ago.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-27-2019, 08:09 PM
So, uh, this game has shifted a bit, eh?

Troublemaker
09-27-2019, 08:11 PM
So, uh, this game has shifted a bit, eh?

We're the favorite now!

dukie’s_daughter
09-27-2019, 08:18 PM
Gave up a 45 yard explosive, and still forced a punt! C’mon offense! Keep it going!!

BoiseDevil
09-27-2019, 08:22 PM
I submit that the Duke program is demonstrating they are becoming physically capable of competing in the ACC.

Examples:

- Leonard Johnson non-interception
- the VT running back NOT taking it to the house
- Q’s quarterback play (throws on point, taking what D gives him
- good offensive play calling AND design around the talent
- Receivers getting open AND making contested catches
- owning both LOS’s

We’re not elite yet, but we’re making PROGRAM PROGRESS!

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 08:25 PM
OMFG!!!!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-27-2019, 08:25 PM
Wow! What a play call!

Native
09-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Started slow, but that 2nd quarter was a thing of beauty. Hope we can keep our foot on the gas and clean up some of the penalties in the second half and finish the job!

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Had to think Calhoun's QB background would play at some point...but man that was pretty. Shouted so loud it freaked out my dog!

Scorp4me
09-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Just catching up on the thread at halftime. Getting a laugh out of all of the offensive woes post ;)

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 08:39 PM
That was an amazing performance after the early offensive ineptitude

nyesq83
09-27-2019, 08:41 PM
We have been up big at halftime vs VT before.
Let's go Blue Devils!
Win the second half!
Win this game!

Sixthman
09-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Epically perplexing choice to switch out of unstoppable formation to stop ourselves.

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Epically perplexing choice to switch out of unstoppable formation to stop ourselves.

Yeah, that last set of downs was awful play calling

moonpie23
09-27-2019, 09:04 PM
sooooo, not cool for a chat room for football?

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 09:04 PM
Epically perplexing choice to switch out of unstoppable formation to stop ourselves.we commented on that too...no huddle was working and then we just...stopped?

DU82
09-27-2019, 09:11 PM
sooooo, not cool for a chat room for football?

Chat room’s not crowded, but it’s open. Go back a page or two for a link.

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 09:20 PM
So good Q!!!

arnie
09-27-2019, 09:20 PM
Yeah, that last set of downs was awful play calling

Zowie, that was a great call😀

bundabergdevil
09-27-2019, 09:21 PM
Harris looks like he was watching some Daniel Jones film with that run up the middle to the end zone!

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Ah well bad coverage, let's kill some clock and score again

rsvman
09-27-2019, 09:32 PM
Just catching up on the thread at halftime. Getting a laugh out of all of the offensive woes post ;)

Well, to be fair, five total yards of offense in an entire quarter of football is pretty abysmal.

I'm glad they got it turned around.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Bang.

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Gorgeous!

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 09:39 PM
38 points!!! Seems like a lot...is that a lot?

Sixthman
09-27-2019, 09:39 PM
These shots of dejected Hokie fans are priceless

arnie
09-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Gorgeous!

I would have lost the over/under bet tonight.

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Lane emptying since we stuffed them on 4th down
https://twitter.com/ShawnKrest/status/1177757367452278785?s=20

uh_no
09-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Lane emptying since we stuffed them on 4th down
https://twitter.com/ShawnKrest/status/1177757367452278785?s=20

has there been any year when duke hasn't outperformed it's ACC projection since cut got here?

It's amazing how lazy SOME journalists are....and it seems like the next thing after death and taxes is "projecting duke to lose most of its football games"

I know none of us are shocked given where the big journalism school in the area is...

DDMF

bundabergdevil
09-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Having been a student during the thick of our historic ineptitude, I am still in awe of the job Cutcliffe has done and get some much damn joy out of seeing Duke FOOTBALL play like they've played tonight.

devilnfla
09-27-2019, 09:47 PM
This makes 2 victories over VT today.

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 09:48 PM
These shots of dejected Hokie fans are priceless

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch!

OldPhiKap
09-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Bold fake punt, but wholly made sense. LGD!

uh_no
09-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch!

oh god. that fake. this is a fantastic friday night.

arnie
09-27-2019, 09:51 PM
oh god. that fake. this is a fantastic friday night.

Rubbing it In. Payback😀😀

jwillfan
09-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Stomp. On. Them.

ehdg
Dayum we’ve really looked good tonight! Are we really this good or is VT really that bad?

uh_no
Bold fake punt, but wholly made sense. LGD!

the ONLY thing that would have made this better was turning on the game at 1am in munich with duke people after a night drinking delicious festbier at oktoberfest...

But alas...i'm alone at home about to go to bed.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2019, 09:55 PM
the only thing that would have made this better was turning on the game at 1am in munich with duke people after a night drinking delicious festbier at oktoberfest...

But alas...i'm alone at home about to go to bed.

night cap!!!!!!

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 09:57 PM
Wait, did that just happen?!

75Crazie
09-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Shoot, I was just thinking Harris shouldn't be playing at this point ...

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Shoot, I was just thinking Harris shouldn't be playing at this point ...

Well he should certainly not be taking hits at this point. Although I’ve been yelling that at the TV all night.

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 10:02 PM
Hahahahahaha

Native
09-27-2019, 10:03 PM
I love seeing that stadium empty out. Beautiful.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2019, 10:04 PM
I think we got this.

dukelifer
09-27-2019, 10:05 PM
I think we got this.

Heck of a win. Hopefully the ankle tweak is mild.

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 10:08 PM
Who would have expected this after the 1st quarter? Great game!

AGDukesky
09-27-2019, 10:09 PM
Great job to all of you who felt confident about a Duke win. This was a dismantling!

SouthernDukie
09-27-2019, 10:12 PM
Looks like we pulled the old fake playbook swap around on VT. We just waited a quarter to make sure the Hokies were really sucked in.

Go Duke!

dukelifer
09-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Great job to all of you who felt confident about a Duke win. This was a dismantling!

Harris is playing well and bringing confidence to this team. D is playing well. A lot to like so far this season.

TruBlu
Good win on national tv. Let’s make this a habit.

dukie’s_daughter
That was fun to watch!!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Good win on national tv. Let’s make this a habit.

Duke's sweet spot is to be a slight underdog.....almost always win in those situations....

75Crazie
09-27-2019, 10:14 PM
I find it hard to recall any other game where the momentum change was so immediate and complete.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2019, 10:15 PM

I said we would win.

I did not expect a dominating beat down.

LGD!

CameronBlue
Great win for the good guys. Only one thing, during the broadcast the two Daves said that VT lost 13 players due to transfers over summer. Rut Roh! Maybe temper the good vibes over this victory just a tad.

Bob Green
Great game!

Defense was dominant and offense racked up 422 yards of offense: 234 rushing, 188 passing.

Duke wins the turnover battle 2-0.

richardjackson199
09-27-2019, 10:17 PM
I would have lost the over/under bet tonight.

I would have perhaps lost my pie bet. Props to Jason Evans. Duke was maybe the favorite after all.

This was the Hokies worst loss since joining the ACC. Maybe those sharps betting down that 7 point spread were onto something. Insider tip - when pie is involved, bet against RJ199! :cool:

howardlander
09-27-2019, 10:20 PM
ESPN just said 35 points is the worst conference loss for VT since they joined the ACC. Gobble Gobble Gobble!

uh_no
09-27-2019, 10:22 PM
ESPN just said 35 points is the worst conference loss for VT since they joined the ACC. Gobble Gobble Gobble!

I hear the American conference is looking to replace Uconn :D :D :D

As with Grandma's christmas gifts after she got run over by a reindeer:

SEND THEM BACK!

WV_Iron_Duke
09-27-2019, 10:24 PM
If you are a Duke fan in NorthernVA this beatdown of the gobblers is especially sweet:)

SavDukeGrad
09-27-2019, 10:26 PM
I have never much cared for Va Tech fans, but after an unbelievably unpleasant experience with some during the sweet sixteen game in DC last spring, I absolutely loathe them. Loved this beatdown! Great game! Go Duke!