PDA

View Full Version : What team got you hooked?

johnb
09-13-2019, 02:22 PM
I'm wondering which sports teams might have steered DBR readers to Duke basketball (or at least being primed for Duke basketball).

I ask after looking at the ESPN article on the best college football teams of all time, which put 1971 Nebraska at #1 (and 1971 Oklahoma at #31). My grandparents took me to the 1971 OU-Nebraska game, in which I thought we were all going to have heart attacks. I was a seriously bummed 12 year old as we walked out of the stadium, and I recall my grandmother telling me not to be upset, that we had just witnessed history, as if we'd been on the beach at Normandy. I'd spent earlier years looking at my parents' college yearbooks from the mid 50's, which featured an OU football program that didn't lose a game throughout their 4 years. When I went to to Duke, some relatives asked two serious questions: did Duke even have major sports? and, how could I go to college in a state that didn't have liquor by the drink? Both gave me pause. Fortunately, I matriculated in 1977, just in time for the basketball team to cruise to the '78 championship game. Duke football was very different from Oklahoma football (and from modern Duke football), but at least we could sneak into home games an entire keg disguised as a casket (as in Death to Virginia!)

Reddevil
09-13-2019, 03:09 PM
The first college basketball game I ever witnessed was David Thompson's NC State against Bill Walton's UCLA in the Final Four. I was 10 and I was stunned that this awesomeness existed and it took me so long to find it. After all, I had been and NFL fan for four whole years already. I watched every NC State game and then every ACC game I possibly could. I soon realized that I was more of a Thompson fan than NC State really and I was still looking for a team to gravitate towards even though we lived in Durham in the late 60's while Dad was doing whatever you do to get a PhD in econom-something at Duke. At a young age I liked the underdog so I guess that part of human nature is real. (Being a band-wagon fan is human nature too...for troglodytes.) So during the 76-77 season I was looking at the standings and saw that the worst two teams were UVA (UVa then), and Duke. Well, I'm not a big fan of orange, so I decided then and there that I would be a Duke fan. Most of my friends were UNC fans of course because Dean was in his prime, they were winning, and my friends were troglodytes. I took some grief for it, but low and behold - look what happened in 1977! Then as years passed and the K era was in full swing, some people would accuse me of being a band wagon fan, but my troglodytes would reluctantly chime in with, "No, he actually picked them when they sucked." I was baffled by all of the Duke hatred. Aren't people supposed to strive for excellence? Isn't success to be admired and emulated? What is wrong with people? Then I got older and realized most human beings really are troglodytes. Pitty.

brevity
09-13-2019, 03:14 PM
The first college basketball game I ever witnessed was David Thompson's NC State against Bill Walton's UCLA in the Final Four. I was 10 and I was stunned that this awesomeness existed and it took me so long to find it. After all, I had been and NFL fan for four whole years already. I watched every NC State game and then every ACC game I possibly could. I soon realized that I was more of a Thompson fan than NC State really and I was still looking for a team to gravitate towards even though we lived in Durham in the late 60's while Dad was doing whatever you do to get a PhD in econom-something at Duke. At a young age I liked the underdog so I guess that part of human nature is real. (Being a band-wagon fan is human nature too...for troglodytes.) So during the 76-77 season I was looking at the standings and saw that the worst two teams were UVA (UVa then), and Duke. Well, I'm not a big fan of orange, so I decided then and there that I would be a Duke fan. Most of my friends were UNC fans of course because Dean was in his prime, they were winning, and my friends were troglodytes. I took some grief for it, but low and behold - look what happened in 1977! Then as years passed and the K era was in full swing, some people would accuse me of being a band wagon fan, but my troglodytes would reluctantly chime in with, "No, he actually picked them when they sucked." I was baffled by all of the Duke hatred. Aren't people supposed to strive for excellence? Isn't success to be admired and emulated? What is wrong with people? Then I got older and realized most human beings really are troglodytes. Pitty.

You’re going to cross-post this to the Words You Like thread, right?

throatybeard
09-14-2019, 10:13 AM
I was born in late 1976, so, the 1984-86 teams. I remember State's title in 1983, and Duke's 1984 ACCT win over Carolina, and 1985 some more, but 1986 is a lot clearer.

chrishoke
09-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Heyman and Mullins in 63 going to games as a nine year with my season ticket holder Duke grad dad. Nothing better. I was hooked for life. Even survived seven years attending the dump on the hump.

Native
09-14-2019, 11:39 AM
I was born in 1992, and while I’ve always been a Duke fan I became a diehard in 2001. A magical season.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Somewhere between the Melchionni game against Lefty and the Terps...and 77-78.....but really, a Duke fan since i was too young to even know much of anything....and will be until I'm too old to know much of anything...:cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 12:07 PM
I was born in 1992, and while I’ve always been a Duke fan I became a diehard in 2001. A magical season.

Maybe you were conceived in the celebratory:cool: aftermath of the 1991 title game.....would've had you born early 92......

Tripping William
09-14-2019, 12:07 PM
1991 semifinal win over Vegas.

Native
09-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Maybe you were conceived in the celebratory:cool: aftermath of the 1991 title game....would've had you born early 92...

Considering that both of my parents are Chappa Heeya alumni — I most sincerely doubt that. :p

(I was born in August, anyway, so there's that.)

arnie
09-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Considering that both of my parents are Chappa Heeya alumni — I most sincerely doubt that. :p

Conceived after the Cheats big win over Cornell on 12/1/91?

JayZee
09-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Initially hooked by Marquette 1977. Good to start with a win over UNC...

Captivated by the 86 team as a senior in HS already dead set on going to Duke.

CameronBlue
09-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Sister matricuated in 63, I followed in 88 (dates could be off there). It was a slow gradual thing, many nights straining to listen to a transistor pocket radio to the Blue Devil radio network that featured a flagship station that couldn't broadcast beyond the 15-501-54 interchange in Chapel Hill. To be a Duke fan then you had to want it, bad. There wasn't one specific game but I do recall that the 8 points in 17 seconds game was when I had to decide if I was all in or just another panty-waisted fair weather fan. Easy decision.

wsb3
09-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Jeff Mullins Senior year..

luvdahops
09-14-2019, 06:10 PM

I had been watching college hoops for a few years, but David Thompson and the '74 Pack squad were who really got me hooked on the game, too. The ACC tournament final against Maryland that year was epic, as was the takedown of Walton and UCLA in the Final Four.

The '78 squad ("Forever's Team") turned me into a Duke fan. I was already a bit of college hoops junkie, but they were a very fresh and entertaining crew. Plus, my older sister would be matriculating that fall.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Ah, then you were a pity party conception....Heels fans needing comfort after losing to Kansas in the 91 semis, with Dean pouting and leaving the court with time still on the clock. :cool:

tfk53
09-14-2019, 10:57 PM
The 1981 team - which takes a bit of explanation.

I came down to Richmond from Ohio to start family medicine residency in 1980. Had been an Ohio State/Big Ten fan - and still am - growing up with Havlicek, Lucas, Don Nelson, etc. Did not have time to pay much attention to basketball or much else as an intern at MCV in Richmond - but by the start of 2nd year of residency I had time to start watching basketball again. I realized everyone around me pulled for UVA and those that did not rooted for that awful blue color. No one wanted to talk about Big Ten teams, either. I felt I needed to look at a different ACC team and was intrigued by a new coach with some spunk, running an underdog team that no one expected much from. Thus, my getting hooked with the Blue Devils 38 years ago. One of my better life decisions, along with my wife of 37 years! Did not go to Duke ( altho my counselors wanted me to apply - I was up north and had not thought of going south) but have been working for the dark blue for 24 years.

Jim3k
09-15-2019, 12:34 AM
1960-61. I was a freshman. Jeff Mullins was my classmate, but he couldn't play for the varsity. Soph Art Heyman was the newly emerging stud. His team, captained by Howard Hurt, was iron-willed and just plain fun to watch. Whatta show!