PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football Week 3

Bob Green
09-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Week 3 includes a couple of Friday night games so we may as well get this thread started. I'll be tuning in to the Wake game tonight before starting my Saturday marathon viewing session with the Pitt game. Here is the schedule:

Friday 9/13

North Carolina at Wake Forest, 6 pm, ESPN
Kansas at Boston College, 7:30 pm, ACCN

Saturday, 9/14

Pitt at #13 Penn State, 12:00 pm, ABC
NC State at West Virginia, 12:00 pm, FS1
Furman at Virginia Tech, 12:00 pm, ACCN
The Citadel at Georgia Tech, 12:30 pm, ACCNX
Louisville at Western Kentucky, 4:00 pm
Bethune-Cookman at Miami, 4:00 pm ACCN
#1 Clemson at Syracuse, 7:30 pm, ABC
Florida State at #25 Virginia, 7:30 pm, ACCN

devildeac
09-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Week 3 includes a couple of Friday night games so we may as well get this thread started. I'll be tuning in to the Wake game tonight before starting my Saturday marathon viewing session with the Pitt game. Here is the schedule:

Friday 9/13

North Carolina at Wake Forest, 6 pm, ESPN
Kansas at Boston College, 7:30 pm, ACCN

Saturday, 9/14

Pitt at #13 Penn State, 12:00 pm, ABC
NC State at West Virginia, 12:00 pm, FS1
Furman at Virginia Tech, 12:00 pm, ACCN
The Citadel at Georgia Tech, 12:30 pm, ACCNX
Louisville at Western Kentucky, 4:00 pm
Bethune-Cookman at Miami, 4:00 pm ACCN
#1 Clemson at Syracuse, 7:30 pm, ABC
Florida State at #25 Virginia, 7:30 pm, ACCN

Go Deac! GTHc, GTH!!

CameronBlue
09-13-2019, 06:58 PM
Go Deac! GTHc, GTH!!

If I"m reading the box score correctly in 6 offensive possessions UNC has 2 fumbles and managed 0 first downs.

WF 14 Cheating Scumbags of Oozing Pustules 0

arnie
09-13-2019, 07:04 PM
If I"m reading the box score correctly in 6 offensive possessions UNC has 2 fumbles and managed 0 first downs.

WF 14 Cheating Scumbags of Oozing Pustules 0

Try 21-0 early in 2nd quarter. Ole Mack may need to take the Tennessee job in a few weeks.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2019, 07:06 PM
Go to HELL Carolina, Go to HELL!!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2019, 07:18 PM
21-0 and the Wake QB is missing some open receivers.....could be worse. Hope it gets worse.

And FTR, that slooooow read option is confounding.

CameronBlue
09-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Wake on a pace to rack up 667 total yards...geez. I hope we learned our lesson last year.

SavDukeGrad
09-13-2019, 07:22 PM
My spouse and one of our children (both Wake grads) are at the game, and they report it is a lovely night and has been a wonderful game so far! GTHC!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Well well...Wake pulled out Duke's gimmick goal line play, and it fell flat. The 200 pound runner was short, while the 235 pound runner was split out wide, for some insane reason. Wake could've nailed the coffin...

Bob Green
09-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Well well...Wake pulled out Duke's gimmick goal line play, and it fell flat.

Coach Clawson made a bad decision there. The score should be 28-0 or at a minimum 24-0 at the half. Sometimes coaches out think themselves.

Enjoyable 1st half.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Coach Clawson made a bad decision there. The score should be 28-0 or at a minimum 24-0 at the half. Sometimes coaches out think themselves.

Enjoyable 1st half.

Totally agree....like Rivera last night...over thinking indeed. The FG was the right play. Or just run the big guy.

Meanwhile, Wake's offense looks different to me...they're not running the RPO, they're running a read option, but their throws are not off that motion, from what I've seen. When he's not throwing to Surratt, Newman looks bad. Looks real good to Surratt.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2019, 08:54 PM
Wake D cannot set the edge now. Carter burned them twice badly on the edge in last couple minutes.

And Clawson goes back to Wildcat with the big guy spread out. Sheesh. Both plays were disasters.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2019, 09:15 PM
F u unc!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2019, 09:17 PM
F u unc!

...and it's hilarious that the cheats should have 1 one more play......:cool:

OldPhiKap
09-13-2019, 09:18 PM
...and it's hilarious that the cheats should have 1 one more play...:cool:

If he had just run out of bound they clearly would have too. Dumbass Heel.

Bob Green
09-13-2019, 09:19 PM
Carolina's furious comeback comes up short. Wake 24, Carolina 18.

arnie
09-13-2019, 09:20 PM
F u unc!
Ha Ha - UNC QB catches batted pass to end their chances. No TOs left and play runs close to 30 seconds off clock. Stupid play.

devildeac
09-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Wake on a pace to rack up 667 total yards...geez. I hope we learned our lesson last year.

Hopefully, old SirRat missing a lot of tackles and young Surratt making a few highlight real catches and picking up lots of YAC. :o

chrishoke
09-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Sadly, by my view, both of these teams would beat Duke right now. :mad:

HereBeforeCoachK
09-13-2019, 10:34 PM
If he had just run out of bound they clearly would have too. Dumbass Heel.

True that. ALL of that.

duke2x
09-13-2019, 10:41 PM
This is not a good day to be Steve Addazio--down 41-24 to Rock Chalk at home.

moonpie23
09-14-2019, 12:30 AM
Heels looked good....

UrinalCake
09-14-2019, 06:34 AM
I’m sure this question has been asked before, but does this count as a conference game in the standings?

DU82
09-14-2019, 06:34 AM
I’m sure this question has been asked before, but does this count as a conference game in the standings?

No, unfortunately.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 09:08 AM

The TV audience got to hear the play by play announcer mention this, oh, about 200 times.

Meanwhile, BC did quite the el foldo against Kansas. That was FUGLY.

75Crazie
09-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Is it time to resurrect the Duke-State non-conference game discussion?

Bob Green
09-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Is it time to resurrect the Duke-State non-conference game discussion?

Nope.

There are several reasons we shouldn't play State in a non-conference game with recruiting being #1 from my perspective. Take today's MTSU game as an example, Coach Cutcliffe has stated he desires to recruit Tennessee better so playing the Blue Raiders provides exposure and perhaps a recruiting advantage. Traveling to Raleigh to play State is not going to increase exposure or create a recruiting advantage.

Just my two cents...

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Nope.

There are several reasons we shouldn't play State in a non-conference game with recruiting being #1 from my perspective. Take today's MTSU game as an example, Coach Cutcliffe has stated he desires to recruit Tennessee better so playing the Blue Raiders provides exposure and perhaps a recruiting advantage. Traveling to Raleigh to play State is not going to increase exposure or create a recruiting advantage.

Just my two cents...

All true...though I'm not totally sure it would be a negative recruiting issue...and balanced out by a guaranteed good crowd every other year at Wade. Of course, I might want to do this because of memories of Devon Edwards! That might color my objectivity...
One of my alltime Duke memories: loud at Wally Wade too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFYgDT9Fu4c

Bob Green
09-14-2019, 10:53 AM
All true...though I'm not totally sure it would be a negative recruiting issue...

It is a missed opportunity. If we are in Raleigh, for a non-conference game, we are not in Tennessee (MTSU/Vanderbilt) or Alabama (Troy State) or Louisiana (Tulane) or Florida (FIU).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 12:03 PM
It is a missed opportunity. If we are in Raleigh, for a non-conference game, we are not in Tennessee (MTSU/Vanderbilt) or Alabama (Troy State) or Louisiana (Tulane) or Florida (FIU).

Ah, gotcha......

Bob Green
09-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Weather delay in State College so I'm starting my marathon viewing session with the State at West Virginia game.

arnie
09-14-2019, 12:06 PM

But of course, our home game against Middle Tennessee will be a dud (crowd and general interest) as opposed to a home game with State that brings excitement and generally full crowd. I’ll take the home and home with the Pack and invite HS recruits to see a great game, even if it’s red and blue.

I’ll give you that we shouldn’t run out of water against Middle Tennessee.

chrishoke
09-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Furman leads VPI 7-3 in the 2nd. FU all the time!

Bob Green
09-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Furman expands the lead to 14-3. :cool:

chrishoke
09-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Pack leading West Vir. 21-14 in the 2nd. Citadel leading GT 7-6 in the 2nd.

AGDukesky
09-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Man, outside Clemson this looks like a rough year for the ACC. The same Maryland team that killed Syracuse is losing at the half 7-2 to Temple...

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Man, outside Clemson this looks like a rough year for the ACC. The same Maryland team that killed Syracuse is losing at the half 7-2 to Temple...

What's the line for tonight's Clemson-'Cuse game?

Bob Green
09-14-2019, 01:55 PM
What's the line for tonight's Clemson-'Cuse game?

Clemson -27.5 points.

chrishoke
09-14-2019, 02:26 PM
VPI woke up and recaptured the lead 17-14.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Clemson -27.5 points.

And rising rapidy due to Maryland's egg performance vs Temple

chrishoke
09-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Citadel still leads GT 21-14 in the 3rd.

devildeac
09-14-2019, 03:06 PM
NCSU in trouble early 4th quarter.

CameronBlue
09-14-2019, 03:34 PM
NCSU in trouble early 4th quarter.

Yeah, well State's no longer in trouble, they're out of trouble. They're done. Such heartbreakers, such foolish love. Zounds!!

OldPhiKap
09-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Citadel still leads GT 21-14 in the 3rd.

Looks like the option still works in ATL. Citadel by 3 with 1:51.

devildeac
09-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Citadel really hacked this one up early in 4th quarter as they had 1st and 10 at GT 15 and ended up with about 4th and 28 at the GT 33 and missed a 50 yard FG.

chrishoke
09-14-2019, 03:59 PM
27-24 Citadel wins in OT!

SavDukeGrad
09-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Wow! Watching their players, Coach, and fans after the game is what makes college football so great!

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Citadel really hacked this one up early in 4th quarter as they had 1st and 10 at GT 15 and ended up with about 4th and 28 at the GT 33 and missed a 50 yard FG.

Nobody hacked it up as badly as Pitt did with the first and goal at the 1...Narduzzi made every mistake possible.

throatybeard
09-14-2019, 04:12 PM

Magnificent. My friend, a Citadel alum, is at that game.

Wander
09-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Best result for the conference in Week 3 is Virginia Tech squeaking by Furman. LOL@ACC.

AGDukesky
09-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Best result for the conference in Week 3 is Virginia Tech squeaking by Furman. LOL@ACC.

That or Pitt’s 7-point loss at Penn State

AustinDevil
09-14-2019, 04:40 PM

Also the best result for Duke. Remember Va Tech’s game following their embarrassing ODU loss last year?

Tripping William
09-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Disagree. Wake>UNCheat :o

duke2x
09-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Yeah, well State's no longer in trouble, they're out of trouble. They're done. Such heartbreakers, such foolish love. Zounds!!

Fun fact: Ted Roof has more P5 non-conference road wins than Tom O'Brien and Dave Doeren combined (NCSU stints only).

szstark
09-14-2019, 06:14 PM

I was at the VT/Furman game. VT is very beatable. They are mediocre on both sides of the ball with a strong kicking game. QB is fairly slow and doesn’t seem to see the entire field. Not a vintage VT team.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Also the best result for Duke. Remember Va Tech’s game following their embarrassing ODU loss last year?

I remember one particular poster on DBR who was celebrating the ODU win over Va T - thinking it bode well for Duke. Several of us told her no, it does not. And it did not. Very happy they snuck by.

TruBlu
09-14-2019, 06:32 PM

Once upon a time, the ACC in football was known as "Clemson and the Seven Dwarfs". We seem to be returning to those days, only the number of teams Dwarfs have changed. (Notre Dame doesn't count, and unc can't count.)

Indoor66
09-14-2019, 07:17 PM
Once upon a time, the ACC in football was known as "Clemson and the Seven Dwarfs". We seem to be returning to those days, only the number of teams Dwarfs have changed. (Notre Dame doesn't count, and unc can't count.)

A.very Spork worthy post.👍🏻🙌🏼😎

budwom
09-15-2019, 07:58 AM
Nobody hacked it up as badly as Pitt did with the first and goal at the 1...Narduzzi made every mistake possible.

Absolutely one of the most stupid, head scratching decisions I've ever seen...fourth and goal from the one, down seven, with five minutes left, and he goes for the FG? (said they needed two scores to win, oh dear me)..
How many other opportunities did he think he'd get from the Penn State one yard line? Pitt fans must be dumbfounded...

Will Narduzzi coach as stupidly when he faces us in a few weeks? Doubtful...

HereBeforeCoachK
09-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Absolutely one of the most stupid, head scratching decisions I've ever seen...fourth and goal from the one, down seven, with five minutes left, and he goes for the FG? (said they needed two scores to win, oh dear me)..
How many other opportunities did he think he'd get from the Penn State one yard line? Pitt fans must be dumbfounded...

Ah yes, the "need two scores to win" quote was priceless. That just put the cherry on the parfait of idiocy. He was coaching from the 1970s. And BTW, it wasn't just the FG decision on fourth down...the play calling the previous three was brain dead as well. It was one of the all time bad coaching moments.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2019, 10:03 AM
How about the field rush from UVA fans?

"Woooohoooo! We just beat an unranked team! Party time!!":confused:

Turk
09-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Indeed. Their dumb is founded, and our flabber is gasted. That was four poorly selected and badly executed plays. Yeesh.

And Franklin nearly gave the game back at the end. 3rd and 3, under 2 mins, Pitt with one timeout, Penn State throws for a bomb to ice the game, incomplete. If they just run it, Pitt burns their last time out, never makes it down the field, and the hail mary attempt at the end never happens.

(But at least Pitt covered!)

Wahoo2000
09-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Usually I'm lockstep with this thinking and am the first to say, "act like you've been there". That said, it's been a loooooooooooong time since we've "been there", and FSU is historically a "great program" (even though they look even more talented but clueless than in bball, which is saying something). Add into that the nature of the WAY the game ended and how pathetic our fanbase has been for about 10-15 years....... I like the field rush.

Let's just hope people show up for ODU next week.

Acymetric
09-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Usually I'm lockstep with this thinking and am the first to say, "act like you've been there". That said, it's been a loooooooooooong time since we've "been there", and FSU is historically a "great program" (even though they look even more talented but clueless than in bball, which is saying something). Add into that the nature of the WAY the game ended and how pathetic our fanbase has been for about 10-15 years... I like the field rush.

I'll add that Duke might well have rushed the field for a home FSU win if FSU hadn't won a game in 2 seasons.

Acymetric
09-15-2019, 09:29 PM
Fun fact: Ted Roof has more P5 non-conference road wins than Tom O'Brien and Dave Doeren combined (NCSU stints only).

That is borderline unbelievable. Excellent trivia question.

duke2x
09-15-2019, 10:44 PM
That is borderline unbelievable. Excellent trivia question.

The shocking part is NCSU's schedule. NCSU is only 0-3 (OSU 2003, ND 2017, WVU 2019). Roof was 1-3 (TN 2003, AL 2006, ND 2007, NW 2007).

OldPhiKap
09-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Usually I'm lockstep with this thinking and am the first to say, "act like you've been there". That said, it's been a loooooooooooong time since we've "been there", and FSU is historically a "great program" (even though they look even more talented but clueless than in bball, which is saying something). Add into that the nature of the WAY the game ended and how pathetic our fanbase has been for about 10-15 years... I like the field rush.

I'll add that Duke might well have rushed the field for a home FSU win if FSU hadn't won a game in 2 seasons.

My freshman year (‘84-‘85) we rushed the field and tore down a goal post for beating Indiana. Both teams were featured in that year’s list of 20 worst teams by Playboy (yeah, I got it for the article), and I think we were coming off a 2-9 year or something like that. Uncle Terry was not happy. The remnants were set up in front of the ATO section on West.

Fun night, with a meaningless win over a really bad team. So, if someone wants to storm the field for beating FSU, even a down Seminole team, have fun and enjoy. It’s college.

PackMan97
09-16-2019, 07:46 AM
I remember rushing the field when NC State beat Duke! Nov 12, 1994. It happened!

arnie
09-16-2019, 08:51 AM
My freshman year (‘84-‘85) we rushed the field and tore down a goal post for beating Indiana. Both teams were featured in that year’s list of 20 worst teams by Playboy (yeah, I got it for the article), and I think we were coming off a 2-9 year or something like that. Uncle Terry was not happy. The remnants were set up in front of the ATO section on West.

Fun night, with a meaningless win over a really bad team. So, if someone wants to storm the field for beating FSU, even a down Seminole team, have fun and enjoy. It’s college.

You're misrepresenting yourself as OldPhiKap; barely out of diapers.:(

OldPhiKap
09-16-2019, 08:57 AM
You're misrepresenting yourself as OldPhiKap; barely out of diapers.:(

Well, I was redshirted in high school a couple dozen times.

luvdahops
09-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Usually I'm lockstep with this thinking and am the first to say, "act like you've been there". That said, it's been a loooooooooooong time since we've "been there", and FSU is historically a "great program" (even though they look even more talented but clueless than in bball, which is saying something). Add into that the nature of the WAY the game ended and how pathetic our fanbase has been for about 10-15 years.... I like the field rush.

Fair enough, but I find it more than a tad ironic to do this now, especially since it was UVA that handed the then quite dominant FSU program its first ACC loss back in 1995.

BobBender
09-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Being real about fan support, it would take at least 3 games at Wallace Wade to amass 57k to 'storm the field'

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2019, 12:58 PM
Being real about fan support, it would take at least 3 games at Wallace Wade to amass 57k to 'storm the field'

Well, did all 57K storm in Charlottesville, or just the students?

Also, we normally get 40K to WW at least once a year.

devildeac
09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Well, did all 57K storm in Charlottesville, or just the students?

Also, we normally get 40K to WW at least once a year.

Yea, and we *usually* lose that one.

<ducks>

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2019, 01:24 PM

The only recent times that Duke fans have been on the field after a victory is against Carolina, our rival.
Last I checked, FSU is not UVA's rival, and only one team on that field was ranked. I will happily make fun of that optic.

Duke was still the perennial "top 20 worst" team when we played and beat JMU in a 31-7 beatdown in Coach Cutcliffe's first game. There was an announced crowd of over 32,000, and from the stands, it looked it.
Coach Cut implored everyone to not rush the field, to not touch the goal posts. To be fair, everyone in the stands was dying to do just that...years of pent up losing frustration was about to be unleashed in victory. In more or less words, he said "Let's wait for the right time'.
If your team is expected to win (and UVA was), it's pretty funny to see the field rush over a weaker opponent, no matter the history of the team you are playing.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Yea, and we *usually* lose that one.

<ducks>

....don't forget, about 15 of those 40 are for the other team too (ducks as well)

Wander
09-16-2019, 02:33 PM
I say we compete for the division title this year. Starting with beating Virginia Tech, who has looked awful so far this season.