PDA

View Full Version : Other people’s college football

Pages : [1] 2

OldPhiKap
09-07-2019, 02:32 PM
So . . . Army tied with Michigan, in The Big House, headed to the fourth quarter. On Fox.

(sorry if there is already a collector thread like this, didn’t see one)

Wander
09-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Was scared of our game against MTSU when they played Michigan tough last week... turns out maybe Michigan isn't that good? They'll probably end up winning the game, but they can't hold onto the ball. Time for the 1000th year in a row of getting crushed by Ohio State...

OldPhiKap
09-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Was scared of our game against MTSU when they played Michigan tough last week... turns out maybe Michigan isn't that good? They'll probably end up winning the game, but they can't hold onto the ball. Time for the 1000th year in a row of getting crushed by Ohio State...

Army just stopped Michigan on fourth down, in easy FG range. Still think the Wolverines will win, but Army is putting it to them right now.

duke2x
09-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Army-MI to OT. Gus Johnson with the call.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2019, 03:23 PM
TD Army!!!

Now let’s go defense!

Tripping William
09-07-2019, 04:50 PM
TD Army!!!

Now let’s go defense!

Michigan wins, but the heat on Jim Harbaugh’s khakis is probably at an all-time high.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Army played great, they should be proud of the effort.

Michigan looked awful, they should be running stairs come Monday morning.

Wander
09-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Gonna predict #17 Wisconsin makes the playoffs. These margins of victory are telling, even against mediocre teams.

MartyClark
09-07-2019, 06:36 PM
My long pitiful C.U. Buffs are hanging in against Nebraska.

Although a Buff home game, it appears that 2/3 of the Boulder crowd is dressed in red.

Man, I hate Nebraska.

scottdude8
09-07-2019, 06:48 PM
I barely survived that Michigan game. Just gotta hope that we follow the same path that Oklahoma did last year... Army took them to OT too!

MartyClark
09-07-2019, 06:58 PM
I barely survived that Michigan game. Just gotta hope that we follow the same path that Oklahoma did last year... Army took them to OT too!

Scottdude, I had to pull for the plucky service academy against Michigan. Loved Harborough when he was with the Bears, don't like him much now.

75Crazie
09-07-2019, 07:50 PM
My long pitiful C.U. Buffs are hanging in against Nebraska.

Although a Buff home game, it appears that 2/3 of the Boulder crowd is dressed in red.

Man, I hate Nebraska.
Congrats to the Buffs on a good comeback. I was disappointed when I saw the first half score, but somebody must have laid on some attitude adjustment at the half (I don't remember who your coach is, the last I remember before moving away from Colorado was that MacIntyre was dismissed). The best thing about the win is the thought of all those red-clad visitors having to drive home thinking about the manner of the loss.

sagegrouse
09-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Congrats to the Buffs on a good comeback. I was disappointed when I saw the first half score, but somebody must have laid on some attitude adjustment at the half (I don't remember who your coach is, the last I remember before moving away from Colorado was that MacIntyre was dismissed). The best thing about the win is the thought of all those red-clad visitors having to drive home thinking about the manner of the loss.

Watched the game with a group near Boulder. CU played a horrible first half -- lucky to only trail 17-0. Then the comeback. Wow!! And Nebraska fell apart in OT.

The myriad of Husker fans in my hotel look none top happy.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2019, 02:47 AM
Tennessee, we need to talk.

YmoBeThere
09-08-2019, 04:35 AM

They are the silver lining to what has been a less than optimal start for Vandy.

75Crazie
09-08-2019, 07:50 AM
They are the silver lining to what has been a less than optimal start for Vandy.
My wife is a Vol, so I'm pretty much forced to side with her. Vol Nation is on suicide watch right now.

budwom
09-08-2019, 08:09 AM
probably worth noting that true freshman Keon Slovis at USC (the real one, not the Pimento State one) had an extraordinary night for a true freshman (as he fills in for JT Daniels)...28 for 33, 377 yards, 3 TDs, routing #23 Stanford...

Guess that's why Jack Sears couldn't move up the depth chart...gotta wonder how Slovis does the rest of the year, and where that puts Daniels when he returns...

PackMan97
09-08-2019, 08:56 AM
USC (the real one, not the Pimento State one)

This is confusing. The real USC is the one to our south. Why? So we don't have to call them Carolina.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2019, 09:00 AM
This is confusing. The real USC is the one to our south. Why? So we don't have to call them Carolina.

Yeah, when I say “Go to Hell, Carolina” down here I piss off a lot of my Gamecock friends.

scottdude8
09-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Scottdude, I had to pull for the plucky service academy against Michigan. Loved Harborough when he was with the Bears, don't like him much now.

As you should! I never begrudge anyone for rooting for an underdog against any of my teams. Now, root for Ohio State (aka the UNC of the Midwest) and we’ll have a problem ;)

burnspbesq
09-08-2019, 11:32 AM
There is only one USC. This is its band.

https://youtu.be/vJyRisT-GB8

OldPhiKap
09-08-2019, 11:33 AM
As you should! I never begrudge anyone for rooting for an underdog against any of my teams. Now, root for Ohio State (aka the UNC of the Midwest) and we’ll have a problem ;)

THE Ohio State University could go 9-3 this year, and the fans would scream that they still deserve to be in the playoffs.

The one thing I have in common with Michigan fans — tOSU sucks.

cspan37421
09-08-2019, 01:00 PM

IDK how editing Wikipedia works, but it appears someone made a recent edit (since reversed) that is still served on the Google search results:

throatybeard
09-09-2019, 08:46 AM
I know programs ascend and descend, but having colleged in the 1990s, I find the present conditions of FSU, Tennessee and Nebraska jarring to encounter.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-09-2019, 08:58 AM
I know programs ascend and descend, but having colleged in the 1990s, I find the present conditions of FSU, Tennessee and Nebraska jarring to encounter.

Makes you really appreciate the long term success our favorite program has experienced.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Tennessee is the one that vexes me the most. They seemed bullet proof to a degree....SEC East, big big stadium and all the money they needed....FSU is located in the sweltering part of Florida that is really just South Georgia in a way.....and they do not have the "U of" cred that Florida has....and Nebraska is in the midwest....isolated many miles from anywhere. Players seem to be gravitating towards warmer climates, the coastal regions, as a "general" rule.

rsvman
09-09-2019, 09:48 AM
As a BYU grad and long-time BYU football fan, I was ecstatic at the double-overtime outcome of the Tennessee game. After getting schooled by our arch-rival Utah week one, I figured we'd start the season 0-2 with the trip to Tennessee.

luvdahops
09-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Tennessee is the one that vexes me the most. They seemed bullet proof to a degree...SEC East, big big stadium and all the money they needed...FSU is located in the sweltering part of Florida that is really just South Georgia in a way....and they do not have the "U of" cred that Florida has...and Nebraska is in the midwest...isolated many miles from anywhere. Players seem to be gravitating towards warmer climates, the coastal regions, as a "general" rule.

I think the biggest issue for Tennessee is that their natural recruiting base has seen major encroachment from a number of "non-traditional" rivals" over the past ~10 years - namely Memphis, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Louisville. And going back a little further, Virginia Tech. And that's in addition to Saban generally getting whomever he targets within the SEC region. The UT talent level these days is down pretty noticeably from the Majors and Fulmer eras.

budwom
09-09-2019, 01:27 PM
On a positive Tennessee note, at least the environment won't be subjected to as much incessant Rocky Top.

Buckminsterfuller
09-09-2019, 02:22 PM
THE Ohio State University could go 9-3 this year, and the fans would scream that they still deserve to be in the playoffs.

The one thing I have in common with Michigan fans — tOSU sucks.

What silliness. OSU has barely missed the playoffs multiple times with only one loss, and had a very good case for being in each time they missed out, including the year that they had two losses. Of course their fans wanted them in each time... fan is a shortened version of fanatic. 9-3? Michigan would take a three-loss season as a sign of progress. OSU would consider it a failure.

Tripping William
09-09-2019, 03:07 PM
As a BYU grad and long-time BYU football fan, I was ecstatic at the double-overtime outcome of the Tennessee game. After getting schooled by our arch-rival Utah week one, I figured we'd start the season 0-2 with the trip to Tennessee.

Coming Attractions: Kalani Sitake and Mack Brown team-up as partners in next year's edition of "Dancing With The Stars" . . . .

OldPhiKap
09-09-2019, 03:25 PM
What silliness. OSU has barely missed the playoffs multiple times with only one loss, and had a very good case for being in each time they missed out, including the year that they had two losses. Of course their fans wanted them in each time... fan is a shortened version of fanatic. 9-3? Michigan would take a three-loss season as a sign of progress. OSU would consider it a failure.

I was certainly being hyperbolic. Where we disagree though is how strong TheOSU’s arguments were in the years they were excluded. Reasonable minds can differ of course.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-09-2019, 03:26 PM

This is correct.

PackMan97
09-09-2019, 03:50 PM
I think the biggest issue for Tennessee is that their natural recruiting base has seen major encroachment from a number of "non-traditional" rivals" over the past ~10 years - namely Memphis, Mississippi State, Kentucky and Louisville. And going back a little further, Virginia Tech. And that's in addition to Saban generally getting whomever he targets within the SEC region. The UT talent level these days is down pretty noticeably from the Majors and Fulmer eras.

Definitely. Don't neglect the top regional talent is now funneling to Georgia or Clemson with schools like Duke and State picking off a lot of the kids that might used to be second string at a place like UT. Missing out on the top recruits as well as the pipeline of reliable depth is a prescription for disaster. Toss in some horribly managed coaching searches and the Vols are starting to look like NC State Basketball for much of two decades.

throatybeard
09-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Toss in some horribly managed coaching searches and the Vols are starting to look like NC State Basketball for much of two decades.

That is a masterful burn on two programs. Man the State fans will be...

...oh that was you, PackMan.

Makes you really appreciate the long term success our favorite program has experienced.

You're right. Duke Women's Golf is out of this world.

budwom
09-10-2019, 04:55 PM
OK, Lynn Swann is out as AD at Southern Cal (the real and only USC)... the program is in a bit of a mess, and who is going to clean it up, you ask?

None other than new President Carol Folt, she of the "let's spend $18 million dollars to defend unc against the NCAA."

Yes, I'm sure a veteran denier and obfuscator is just what USC needs...

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Can't say she wasn't exactly what the cheaters needed. Maybe she's found her niche.

jimsumner
09-10-2019, 07:59 PM
OK, Lynn Swann is out as AD at Southern Cal (the real and only USC)... the program is in a bit of a mess, and who is going to clean it up, you ask?

None other than new President Carol Folt, she of the "let's spend $18 million dollars to defend unc against the NCAA."

There's already speculation that USC might be interested in noted crisis-manager Bubba Cunningham.

arnie
09-11-2019, 12:27 AM
There's already speculation that USC might be interested in noted crisis-manager Bubba Cunningham.

Why not the Admiral? He’s shown a propensity for navigating rough waters without personally drowning.

SoCalDukeFan
09-11-2019, 12:52 AM

I think every college President reports to the Board of Trustees or something similar.
At the cheaters Folt was told to protect the banners, which she did.
At USC I think she was told to clean up the mess Max Nikias left behind. She is doing so. And it is not just athletics where there were major problems.

Swann was the least qualified of the last 3 USC ADs, never should have been given the job and never should have accepted. It was basically the work of the major donor to the program.

A very safe bet is that the next AD will not be a former football star with no experience in athletic administration after Garrett, Haden, Swann. Interesting question is what does it mean for football coach Clay Helton. He had a great win over Stanford on Saturday. A new AD may want his guy as coach, but hard to fire a coach after a good season. Question - how good a season is good enough for Helton.

Hiring college Presidents who are good at raising money with no concept of what they are really doing is also not a good idea.

SoCal - Married to a Trojan

johnb
09-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Can't say she wasn't exactly what the cheaters needed. Maybe she's found her niche.

Southern Cal was, apparently, unusually obvious in its recruiting wealthy students, contributing to the Admissions Scandal.

From this past week:
http://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2019/09/09/southern-california-admissions-were-determined-donations-parent

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickhess/2019/09/09/new-documents-make-usc-look-anything-but-innocent-in-varsity-blues-case/#5ed028aa248d

jimsumner
09-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Southern Cal was, apparently, unusually obvious in its recruiting wealthy students, contributing to the Admissions Scandal.

From this past week:
http://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2019/09/09/southern-california-admissions-were-determined-donations-parent

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickhess/2019/09/09/new-documents-make-usc-look-anything-but-innocent-in-varsity-blues-case/#5ed028aa248d

As Scott Fitzgerald told us, the rich are different from you and me.

Wander
09-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Gonna predict #17 Wisconsin makes the playoffs. These margins of victory are telling, even against mediocre teams.

Bump. The fact that Wisconsin is ranked behind Michigan is a complete joke.

JasonEvans
09-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Bump. The fact that Wisconsin is ranked behind Michigan is a complete joke.

With wisconsin leading Michigan 28-0 at the half, it appears Michigan is the complete joke here.

Also, Wisconsin is really good. 200 yards on the ground in the first half. WOW! Meanwhile, their QB has completed 11-of-13 passes thus far. I'm not sure why you would throw the ball very much when you are averaging close to 7 yards per carry, but I guess you gotta keep the D a little bit honest. Michigan, meanwhile, has 9 total rushing yards and their QBs are 5-15 passing. The fact that it is only 28-0 seems lucky for the Wolverines.

-Jason "I'm sure Harbaugh is very calm in the locker room" Evans

rsvman
09-21-2019, 02:01 PM
With wisconsin leading Michigan 28-0 at the half, it appears Michigan is the complete joke here.

Also, Wisconsin is really good. 200 yards on the ground in the first half. WOW! Meanwhile, their QB has completed 11-of-13 passes thus far. I'm not sure why you would throw the ball very much when you are averaging close to 7 yards per carry, but I guess you gotta keep the D a little bit honest. Michigan, meanwhile, has 9 total rushing yards and their QBs are 5-15 passing. The fact that it is only 28-0 seems lucky for the Wolverines.

-Jason "I'm sure Harbaugh is very calm in the locker room" Evans

Ummm, Jason, if Michigan is a complete joke, then it follows that Wisconsin being ranked behind Michigan is a complete joke. So it sounds like you and Wander are on the same sheet of music.

Harbaugh might be on the hot seat sooner rather than later. To me, if Michigan is a joke, Harbaugh needs to be held at least partially responsible.

scottdude8
09-21-2019, 02:06 PM
To anyone wondering... no, I’m not ok. Wow.

bullettoothtony
09-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Michigan getting manhandled like they're a high school squad. What a beating so far. I didn't expect this.

Acymetric
09-21-2019, 02:14 PM
I did not realize that Matt Luke (former Duke OC if that doesn't ring a bell) is the head coach at Ole Miss.

BD80
09-21-2019, 02:22 PM

I do feel for you.

Unless you were one of the Michigan fans that reveled in Harbaugh's continuous douchery when he was hired and since.

As a Michigan resident, I'd love to have Michigan teams that would reverse and avenge OSU'S dominance over the last decade or so. I just can't root for a team coached by an asshat like Harbaugh.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 02:24 PM

I’m hoping you’re not still watching . . . .

MartyClark
09-21-2019, 03:00 PM

Hang in there, it's always darkest before the dawn.

As a huge McCaffrey fan, having seen all 4 McCaffreys play at Valor Christian H.S., do you think Dylan McCaffrey ought to be getting the starts?

AGDukesky
09-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Michigan getting manhandled like they're a high school squad. What a beating so far. I didn't expect this.

I was hoping Michigan would look better so our more impressive win over MTSU would be a good barometer.

75Crazie
09-21-2019, 03:08 PM
My better half (Vol alum) is gamely soldiering through the UT/Florida game. I cannot watch, the carnage is just too great.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Michigan fighting, I’ll give ‘em credit.

budwom
09-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Michigan fighting, I’ll give ‘em credit.

I have no particular quarrel with Michigan (have relatives who went there) but they are an awfully mediocre bunch for all the attention they get...

scottdude8
09-21-2019, 03:37 PM
I’m hoping you’re not still watching . . . .

Oh, I’m watching. I pride myself on being a masochistic fan.

Michigan should’ve gone harder after Cutcliffe five years ago. And may end up trying again this winter.

To have a horrible week of work, but looking forward to a fun big game on Saturday to get you through it, to just get embarrassed like this? To not have a single enjoyable element of the game as a fan? Just... ugh.

Is it basketball season yet guys?

scottdude8
09-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Hang in there, it's always darkest before the dawn.

As a huge McCaffrey fan, having seen all 4 McCaffreys play at Valor Christian H.S., do you think Dylan McCaffrey ought to be getting the starts?

Obviously the backup QB is always popular when your team struggles. But whenever he’s in the team shows no faith in him to let him throw it... so that combined with the fact he can’t beat out Patterson in practice makes me thing that he may not be the answer. Either that or our coaching staff are idiots. Which is very possible right now.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Michigan should’ve gone harder after Cutcliffe five years ago. And may end up trying again this winter.

To have a horrible week of work, but looking forward to a fun big game on Saturday to get you through it, to just get embarrassed like this? To not have a single enjoyable element of the game as a fan? Just... ugh.

They fought to the end, you gotta respect that.

But this may be a long year. Four ranked teams still on the schedule to play. Buena suerte.

devildeac
09-21-2019, 08:02 PM
I was treated to the Miami (OH) @ tOSU game today by our son and the biggest cheer in the stadium was when the final score was announced for the Wisconsin-M*chigan game. LOL.

Jim3k
09-21-2019, 08:45 PM
probably worth noting that true freshman Keon Slovis at USC (the real one, not the Pimento State one) had an extraordinary night for a true freshman (as he fills in for JT Daniels)...28 for 33, 377 yards, 3 TDs, routing #23 Stanford...

Guess that's why Jack Sears couldn't move up the depth chart...gotta wonder how Slovis does the rest of the year, and where that puts Daniels when he returns...

Sorry, Buddy. That was Fink. (https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401114220) Slovis did throw two passes, both for completions. Guess the point is that Sears was further down the depth chart than we knew.

AustinDevil
09-21-2019, 09:10 PM

Please pine for UM to steal Duke’s coach elsewhere. I don’t (much) mind how much Go Big Blue you post on here, but this is too much.

scottdude8
09-21-2019, 09:51 PM
Please pine for UM to steal Duke’s coach elsewhere. I don’t (much) mind how much Go Big Blue you post on here, but this is too much.

To be clear, I wasn’t pining for Michigan to take Cutcliffe. I don’t want him going anywhere, nor do I think he will.

But (and this is a 100% true story) before Michigan hired Harbaugh, and before he was connected to the job, my Dad called into a local sports talk radio show in Michigan when they were talking about potential coaches. He mentioned Cutcliffe. He was mocked. But given how the past five years have gone I think a lot of Michigan fans would love to have Cutcliffe in hindsight. The thought certainly wouldn’t be scoffed at like it was.

That’s all I was saying. Cutcliffe isn’t gonna go to Michigan. But I’ll chuckle when the hot seat speculation gets out of hand, as it inevitably does, and Cut now gets mentioned. That’s all I was getting at.

scottdude8
09-21-2019, 09:53 PM

Also, just for the record, no Michigan fan has ever said Go Big Blue. That’s Kentucky’s thing, haha.

AustinDevil
09-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Also, just for the record, no Michigan fan has ever said Go Big Blue. That’s Kentucky’s thing, haha.

Fair enough. But you’re a Michigan fan, saying on this board that Michigan “should” have gone harder at Cut before, and might again. Nope.

rsvman
09-21-2019, 11:03 PM
I don't really understand how this stuff works.
Week one, BYU gets schooled by Utah.
Week three, BYU beats USC.
Week four, USC beats Utah.

If be tempted to think that our loss to Utah was a fluke had we not been completely and utterly humiliated by Washington today. Ouch. Michigan's loss was respectable by comparison.

Acymetric
09-22-2019, 02:05 AM
This game is absolutely crazy, but nobody will see it because it is 2:00 a.m. 123 points scored with 5 minutes left to go, and its a 3 point game (60-63).

YmoBeThere
09-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Ahhh, so a defensive struggle.

TruBlu
09-22-2019, 08:03 AM
Ahhh, so a defensive struggle.

Yep. Both defenses struggled.

Channing
09-22-2019, 08:37 AM
Between Jacob Eason and Justin Field UGA mayhave 2 former qbs in NY at the end of the year.

Tripping William
09-22-2019, 09:42 AM
I don't really understand how this stuff works.
Week one, BYU gets schooled by Utah.
Week three, BYU beats USC.
Week four, USC beats Utah.

If be tempted to think that our loss to Utah was a fluke had we not been completely and utterly humiliated by Washington today. Ouch. Michigan's loss was respectable by comparison.

Isn’t the transitive property terrific?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-22-2019, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=scottdude8;1185697]Oh, I’m watching. I pride myself on being a masochistic fan.

/QUOTE]

---one thing for sure, Cut's team sure handled Middle Tennessee easier than Harbaugh's team did.....

budwom
09-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Michigan fans would have burned down Ann Arbor if Cut had been hired....

scottdude8
09-22-2019, 12:41 PM
---one thing for sure, Cut's team sure handled Middle Tennessee easier than Harbaugh's team did...

My thought exactly! Not to mention we handled Army last year in a way neither Oklahoma or (this year's) Michigan could. Cut is a hell of a coach. The only reason he isn't discussed more often in the "coaching carousel" is because people still haven't quite acknowledged that Duke is relevant in football again despite the last half-decade plus of success. Now I think (thankfully!) he's committed to Duke given he doesn't wan't to move again at his age, not to mention he loves Durham. But I think there are a lot of big programs who are kicking themselves that they didn't at least kick the tires half a decade ago.

scottdude8
09-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Michigan fans would have burned down Ann Arbor if Cut had been hired...

You're 100% right, it would've been super unpopular at the time. Which is why it was never a serious option. But ask Michigan fans (who are informed college football fans) now if they'd like Cut as their coach, and I think you'd be surprised how many would say yes.

Again, I'm NOT saying I want Cutcliffe at Michigan, or that Michigan is thinking about that (I have no inside info as much as I wish I did!), or that there's any chance of that happening. I just think that the speculation machine is about to start operating at maximum capacity, and Cut's name may (and probably should!) come up for big name jobs. Which shows how far Duke football has come and how thankful we should be that he's our coach.

budwom
09-22-2019, 01:00 PM
You're 100% right, it would've been super unpopular at the time. Which is why it was never a serious option. But ask Michigan fans (who are informed college football fans) now if they'd like Cut as their coach, and I think you'd be surprised how many would say yes.

Again, I'm NOT saying I want Cutcliffe at Michigan, or that Michigan is thinking about that (I have no inside info as much as I wish I did!), or that there's any chance of that happening. I just think that the speculation machine is about to start operating at maximum capacity, and Cut's name may (and probably should!) come up for big name jobs. Which shows how far Duke football has come and how thankful we should be that he's our coach.

of course I agree....Michigan football fans generally feel they swim in more exclusive waters than those in which we find Duke coaches...I'm totally neutral on Michigan, but for all his publicity and bluster, I find Harbaugh's teams to be somewhat underwhelming...

As for Cut: well, he makes $2.6 million per year from Duke with absolutely minimal pressure (as long as he gets to a bowl, any bowl, most years) while Harbaugh gets $7 million at ultra high pressure Michigan. I know coaches can be alpha dogs who love challenges, but I'd like to think Cut has a better situation at Duke.

Having said that...Cut was sorely tempted by Tennessee once before, and the Vols are currently playing like soiled cat litter, so it wouldn't stun me for the Vols to come calling again (losses to Georgia State have consequences)....Pruitt makes about $4 million there now...I'd like to think the Duke situation is a pretty ideal one for Cut as he enters his 66th year...

AustinDevil
09-22-2019, 03:01 PM
My thought exactly! Not to mention we handled Army last year in a way neither Oklahoma or (this year's) Michigan could. Cut is a hell of a coach. The only reason he isn't discussed more often in the "coaching carousel" is because people still haven't quite acknowledged that Duke is relevant in football again despite the last half-decade plus of success. Now I think (thankfully!) he's committed to Duke given he doesn't wan't to move again at his age, not to mention he loves Durham. But I think there are a lot of big programs who are kicking themselves that they didn't at least kick the tires half a decade ago.

I tend to agree with this; I think another factor in him being left alone is simply that he's reached a certain age, and if Tennessee wasn't able to tempt him the second time they came calling, then really no one will. He's not going to chase a bigger-name program with the uncertainties that would bring.

sagegrouse
09-22-2019, 03:20 PM
I tend to agree with this; I think another factor in him being left alone is simply that he's reached a certain age, and if Tennessee wasn't able to tempt him the second time they came calling, then really no one will. He's not going to chase a bigger-name program with the uncertainties that would bring.

This discussion is silly. Cutcliffe just turned 65 -- he ain't going anywhere.

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2019, 03:27 PM

While I agree that he isn't going elsewhere, age isn't the reason.
Mack Brown is 68, he didn't mind getting back in the game. Mid 60s doesn't keep someone in place.

MartyClark
09-22-2019, 03:47 PM

65 is the new 50, says this 69 year old guy hopefully.

devildeac
09-22-2019, 04:20 PM
While I agree that he isn't going elsewhere, age isn't the reason.
Mack Brown is 68, he didn't mind getting back in the game. Mid 60s doesn't keep someone in place.

After yesterday, I think ol mack deserves a 10 year extension...

Wander
09-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Michigan football fans generally feel they swim in more exclusive waters than those in which we find Duke coaches...I'm totally neutral on Michigan, but for all his publicity and bluster, I find Harbaugh's teams to be somewhat underwhelming...

Michigan is the absolute epitome of a team that solely gets by on its reputation. They've beaten Ohio State ONCE in FIFTEEN years. They've lost the vast majority of their bowl games in that time span. They've never won their division in the Big 10. The Wisconsin-Michigan game was exactly consistent with what both teams did in the first two weeks of the season.

At least everyone recognizes that teams like Tennessee and Miami aren't the powerhouses they once were. But for some reason, a lot of people still delude themselves into thinking Michigan is about to be a great championship-level team.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2019, 07:32 AM

Some might roll their eyes at this, but perhaps the biggest obstacle in the way of Duke seeming relevant again are those empty seats on TV from Wally Wade....demographics are a tough opponent, and in football Duke is demographically challenged. Duke has been better over all than Tennessee for a number of years now....but they have that 106 thousand seat stadium that aspiring coaches thing they can fill , and thus the UT job is considered far superior to the Duke job.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Some might roll their eyes at this, but perhaps the biggest obstacle in the way of Duke seeming relevant again are those empty seats on TV from Wally Wade...demographics are a tough opponent, and in football Duke is demographically challenged. Duke has been better over all than Tennessee for a number of years now...but they have that 106 thousand seat stadium that aspiring coaches thing they can fill , and thus the UT job is considered far superior to the Duke job.

Coach Cut disagrees on your specific point. :)

I do agree that the visuals of our mostly empty stadium is a huge stumbling block. What 5 star recruit dreams of playing in college in front of hundreds of fans? Ick.

scottdude8
09-23-2019, 11:20 AM

I do agree that the visuals of our mostly empty stadium is a huge stumbling block. What 5 star recruit dreams of playing in college in front of hundreds of fans? Ick.

100% agree... it's been something I've been worried about for years now. Big time college football programs who can fill their stadiums have alumni bases that tend to stay close to home (or for whom football is such an overwhelming part of their lives/culture that they plan their fall around trips to the game). Duke, in contrast, experiences a diaspora as soon as students graduate. I give the program a lot of credit with how they've seemingly tried to reach out to the Durham community... Durham is a large enough city that if Duke could cement itself as "Durham's football team" there's no reason Wally Wade couldn't be full as long as tickets are affordable. But the town/gown issues with Durham are long and well documented, which I think has been a major stumbling block.

If I remember correctly, the Iron Dukes has some sort of program in place where, in order to get enough "points" to be on the wait list for MBB season tickets, you need to be a WBB season ticket holder (or something along those lines). Is such a program still in place? If so, football tickets, and in particular attendance (somehow), should be incorporated. There are more than enough local grads, professors, etc. who want basketball tickets who would buy football tickets in order to get on that pathway, and I have a feeling once people make the commitment to the FB program that'll stick.

Regardless, this has and will continue to be the biggest (and last?) remaining hurdle before Duke's perception matches Duke's reality. Northwestern is in a very similar situation to Duke in terms of type of school, recent/historical success, etc., but for whatever reason they get a bit more respect in the CFB community than we do. There's no reason this program can't, at BARE minimum, be where Northwestern is, and addressing attendance is probably the biggest issue there (even though NW isn't perfect in that regard, they do consistently get sold out/raucous crowds for big games).

English
09-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Some might roll their eyes at this, but perhaps the biggest obstacle in the way of Duke seeming relevant again are those empty seats on TV from Wally Wade...demographics are a tough opponent, and in football Duke is demographically challenged. Duke has been better over all than Tennessee for a number of years now...but they have that 106 thousand seat stadium that aspiring coaches thing they can fill , and thus the UT job is considered far superior to the Duke job.

Getting completely pants'ed any time we have a nationally televised primetime game (cough*VaTech 2018*cough) doesn't help improve our mainstream football reputation, either.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Getting completely pants'ed any time we have a nationally televised primetime game (cough*VaTech 2018*cough) doesn't help improve our mainstream football reputation, either.

We have two opportunities in a row coming up to do better.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2019, 04:21 PM

That is indeed another big factor....the last time we looked good for a big TV audience - off top of my head - was the 2013 Chick Fil-A Bowl...and even in defeat, I thought it was a great day for the program. The Devils were at least the physical equal of a team that had beaten Bama and had a Heisman QB.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-24-2019, 06:24 AM
Up until recently (the past ten years or so) there wasn't much discussion like this, because our talent and product on the field was so abysmal. Nice that we aren't in that desperate a situation anymore.

throatybeard
09-24-2019, 10:25 AM
65 is the new 50, says this 69 year old guy hopefully.

Damn, you aged hard after ballin with Antonio and Grant. :p

throatybeard
09-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Northwestern is in a very similar situation to Duke in terms of type of school, recent/historical success, etc., but for whatever reason they get a bit more respect in the CFB community than we do.

They got decent in the 1990s and have more or less stayed there, certainly as compares to their prior decades. Duke got decent in 2012. Whatever reason identified.

luvdahops
09-24-2019, 11:09 AM
100% agree... it's been something I've been worried about for years now. Big time college football programs who can fill their stadiums have alumni bases that tend to stay close to home (or for whom football is such an overwhelming part of their lives/culture that they plan their fall around trips to the game). Duke, in contrast, experiences a diaspora as soon as students graduate. I give the program a lot of credit with how they've seemingly tried to reach out to the Durham community... Durham is a large enough city that if Duke could cement itself as "Durham's football team" there's no reason Wally Wade couldn't be full as long as tickets are affordable. But the town/gown issues with Durham are long and well documented, which I think has been a major stumbling block.

If I remember correctly, the Iron Dukes has some sort of program in place where, in order to get enough "points" to be on the wait list for MBB season tickets, you need to be a WBB season ticket holder (or something along those lines). Is such a program still in place? If so, football tickets, and in particular attendance (somehow), should be incorporated. There are more than enough local grads, professors, etc. who want basketball tickets who would buy football tickets in order to get on that pathway, and I have a feeling once people make the commitment to the FB program that'll stick.

Regardless, this has and will continue to be the biggest (and last?) remaining hurdle before Duke's perception matches Duke's reality. Northwestern is in a very similar situation to Duke in terms of type of school, recent/historical success, etc., but for whatever reason they get a bit more respect in the CFB community than we do. There's no reason this program can't, at BARE minimum, be where Northwestern is, and addressing attendance is probably the biggest issue there (even though NW isn't perfect in that regard, they do consistently get sold out/raucous crowds for big games).

Attendance at Northwestern games has a lot to do with the school's proximity to Chicago, which has significant concentrations of alumni from all of the Big 10 schools and is a 5 or less hour drive from many conference campuses. When the Wildcats sell out, the stadium is usually half full - if not more - with fans of their opponent that day. There are also more NU alums in the Chicago area than Duke alums in the Triangle, so that helps attendance somewhat, too.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-24-2019, 11:14 AM
They got decent in the 1990s and have more or less stayed there, certainly as compares to their prior decades. Duke got decent in 2012. Whatever reason identified.

Correct, they had a Rose Bowl appearance, maybe more, in that time frame....long before Cut started turning Duke around.

CameronBornAndBred
09-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Here is a very interesting quote from ECU's football coach. (Scottie Mo's replacement)

“The one thing that is concerning not only to me, but probably a lot of coaches across the country,” Houston said, “I forget what the stat was exactly last year, but it was something like three percent of the players that enter the transfer portal actually get picked up by somebody. What happens to the other 97 percent? Once you throw your opportunity away, it’s gone. That bothers me because you get into this business to try to help young men graduate and to try to have them part of a positive program, and sometimes somebody might be in their ear and leading them down a path that they think something’s there that’s not. It scares me a little bit for some people. I think I have a pretty good grasp on reality and what’s out there, and what’s not.”

The article is talking about how their backup QB and a RB are entering the transfer portal.

https://www.witn.com/content/news/ECU-QB-Reid-Herring-RB-Hussein-Howe-enter-transfer-portal-561278841.html

FYI..Herring was a 2/3* recruit with offers from Miami and BC, but not by Duke.

dudog84
09-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Washington State coach says his players are "fat, dumb, unhappy and entitled". Hey Mike Leach, who recruited those guys and coached them up?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/mike-leach-calls-washington-state-players-fat-dumb-happy-and-entitled-after-ugly-loss/ar-AAI1dr1?li=BBnb7Kz

Doubt he survives much longer. Really can't talk about students/kids that way these days. And it sure won't be good for recruiting.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Of course he does, publicly. He can't possibly be caught agreeing on video with that point.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Of course he does, publicly. He can't possibly be caught agreeing on video with that point.

I meant specifically Cut and specifically Tennessee. I believe he had the opportunity to leave Duke for UT recently, and made fhe decision that the Duke job was a superior situation.

Indoor66
09-30-2019, 08:29 AM
I meant specifically Cut and specifically Tennessee. I believe he had the opportunity to leave Duke for UT recently, and made fhe decision that the Duke job was a superior situation.

I'm not sure that is accurate. He decided that he would rather stay in Durham. I am not sure that that is a reflection on the quality or status of the jobs.

budwom
09-30-2019, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure that is accurate. He decided that he would rather stay in Durham. I am not sure that that is a reflection on the quality or status of the jobs.

furthermore, on one occasion he WAS ready to leave for Tennessee, but the Vols would not let him bring all of his Duke staff (this was much discussed years ago and has little relevance today, IMO).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2019, 08:40 AM

Fair point. But saying that Cutcliffe would have to say Duke is a better situation because cameras are rolling feels disingenuous when he literally chose to stay at Duke over moving to UT.

cspan37421
09-30-2019, 08:32 PM
John Rhys Plumlee making some news at Ole Miss. Only listed at 6' tall. Talk about the runt of the litter. ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2019, 09:32 PM

In spite of, not because of, the crowd issues....

furthermore, on one occasion he WAS ready to leave for Tennessee, but the Vols would not let him bring all of his Duke staff (this was much discussed years ago and has little relevance today, IMO).

When was that....out of curiosity (I was not here when much discussed....I've lived out of the country during part of Cut's tenure)

BD80
09-30-2019, 09:38 PM
John Rhys Plumlee making some news at Ole Miss. Only listed at 6' tall. Talk about the runt of the litter. ;)

Must be without shoes ...

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Bad news for a bad GT team.

Georgia Tech has lost leading receiver Jalen Camp and starting center Kenny Cooper to season-ending surgeries.

Coach Geoff Collins said Tuesday that Camp, Cooper and offensive tackle Jahaziel Lee, whose season ended with an injury in mid-September, are eligible for redshirts and could return next year as fifth-year seniors.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27745799/georgia-tech-loses-wr-jalen-camp-center-kenny-cooper-injuries

AGDukesky
10-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Bad news for a bad GT team.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27745799/georgia-tech-loses-wr-jalen-camp-center-kenny-cooper-injuries

I wish all this bad karma had impacted Paul Johnson and not necessarily this regime...

budwom
10-02-2019, 02:49 PM
This is the worst GT team in a looong time...not easy transitioning from Sourpuss's option I suppose.

burnspbesq
10-03-2019, 06:56 AM
It may not be a big deal in purely football terns, but the social significance of this week’s Harvard - Howard game is hard to overlook. Cambridge is going to be LIT this weekend.

https://theundefeated.com/features/excitement-for-first-howard-harvard-football-game-extends-to-both-campuses/

CrazyNotCrazie
10-03-2019, 07:55 AM
It may not be a big deal in purely football terns, but the social significance of this week’s Harvard - Howard game is hard to overlook. Cambridge is going to be LIT this weekend.

https://theundefeated.com/features/excitement-for-first-howard-harvard-football-game-extends-to-both-campuses/

Hopefully they will also play in basketball as Amaker vs Blakeney would be fun.

burnspbesq
10-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Hopefully they will also play in basketball as Amaker vs Blakeney would be fun.

Harvard and Howard have played on MLK Day a couple of times in recent years, and I think I remember reading that it’s on again this season.

burnspbesq
10-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Tommy Amaker on the significance of Harvard - Howard.

https://theundefeated.com/features/tommy-amaker-harvard-vs-howard-is-much-more-than-a-game/

BD80
10-07-2019, 03:22 PM
His team gets exposed and ashamed against Wisky and barely survives Iowa AT HOME. Time for a diversion!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jim-harbaugh-favors-freshmen-and-sophomores-declaring-for-nfl-draft-with-option-to-return-to-school/

No chance the NFL lets this happen, but look at the bump Harbaugh gets in the eyes of those recruits that think they will be NFL ready after 1 or 2 years (spoiler alert: ALL OF THEM!)

Quick question, why not let them go after high school?

AGDukesky
10-07-2019, 03:27 PM
I’m not disputing anything about Harbaugh but Iowa came into that game ranked better than Michigan and looked more impressive on the season. By current Michigan standards that was a good game...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2019, 04:49 PM
His team gets exposed and ashamed against Wisky and barely survives Iowa AT HOME. Time for a diversion!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jim-harbaugh-favors-freshmen-and-sophomores-declaring-for-nfl-draft-with-option-to-return-to-school/

No chance the NFL lets this happen, but look at the bump Harbaugh gets in the eyes of those recruits that think they will be NFL ready after 1 or 2 years (spoiler alert: ALL OF THEM!)

I'm no huge fan, but is he really sleezy? I don't see much outrage here. Hasn't K said the same thing?

HereBeforeCoachK
10-07-2019, 07:51 PM
I'm no huge fan, but is he really sleezy? I don't see much outrage here. Hasn't K said the same thing?

Agree....I kinda like some things about Harbaugh...

OldPhiKap
10-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Down goes Georgia . . . .

BD80
10-12-2019, 04:30 PM

The Devil you say ...

HereBeforeCoachK
10-12-2019, 04:35 PM

SC, with WR playing quarterback......between the Hedges......shocking win.

Papa John
10-12-2019, 04:51 PM

Gotta agree with Mountain Devil here... I loathe Harbaugh, yet completely agree with him on this particular issue. With the passage of the legislation in CA, the clock has begun to tick on the NCAA. They either need to evolve, or go the way of the dodo... My money is on the dodo route...

YmoBeThere
10-12-2019, 05:37 PM
The best comedy in P5 football: Vanderbilt

Outplayed by a 1-4 Mountain West also ran so far.

moonpie23
10-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Dawgs looked good...

OldPhiKap
10-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Dawgs looked good...

You wouldn’t believe the sour grapes filling my social media platforms.

Actually, we would all believe it. Because Dawgs.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2019, 06:30 PM
You wouldn’t believe the sour grapes filling my social media platforms.

Actually, we would all believe it. Because Dawgs.

Georgia is like South Carolina. Always about to be great.

SavDukeGrad
10-12-2019, 07:16 PM

That was definitely true before Kirby arrived. Mark Richt could never win the big one.

I don’t think that’s true now. The last 2 years have proven they are going to be in the national conversation year in and year out, IMO. Their recruiting is off the charts. Even if Kirby proves to be a mediocre in-game coach, which I personally think he has been so far, I still think they’ll be in the conversation.

But I didn’t watch their game today because, well Duke.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2019, 07:37 PM
That was definitely true before Kirby arrived. Mark Richt could never win the big one.

I don’t think that’s true now. The last 2 years have proven they are going to be in the national conversation year in and year out, IMO. Their recruiting is off the charts. Even if Kirby proves to be a mediocre in-game coach, which I personally think he has been so far, I still think they’ll be in the conversation.

This post is spot-on.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2019, 08:13 AM

As someone with deep Gamecock ties, as well as even deeper Duke ties, I wish that were true. The Cocks have rarely been able to equal or surpass the Dawgs...and it's one of those border state rivalries that's far more passionate than most outside the area realize.

Yesterday, the Gamecock D made Fromm look mediocre. Or maybe Fromm did that to himself. Amazing win from SC perspective...head scratching thud from UGa perspective, lose to a SC team with 3rd string QB, converted WR, versus ostensibly a Heisman candidate.

OldPhiKap
10-13-2019, 08:19 AM
As someone with deep Gamecock ties, as well as even deeper Duke ties, I wish that were true. The Cocks have rarely been able to equal or surpass the Dawgs...and it's one of those border state rivalries that's far more passionate than most outside the area realize.

Yup. And SC-Clemson is a real hate.

dudog84
10-13-2019, 10:44 AM
And we think college basketball officiating is bad...

Notre Dame head coach well out onto the field, gesticulating and screaming wildly, as USC prepares for onside kick and even as the play occurs. No flag.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/officials-fail-to-notice-notre-dames-kelly-on-field-during-game-deciding-onside-kick/ar-AAIGIvI?li=BBnb7Kz

Not like this is a bang-bang play, pass interference or charge/block call. Sheesh.

If nothing else they could have called 12 men on the field. :rolleyes:

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Yup. And SC-Clemson is a real hate.

There is nothing remotely comparable in the state of SC to Carolina at Duke in BB.....nothing remotely comparable in NC to a SC Clemson football game at either venue.

budwom
10-13-2019, 04:02 PM
There is nothing remotely comparable in the state of SC to Carolina at Duke in BB....nothing remotely comparable in NC to a SC Clemson football game at either venue.

Very true, though as I'm sure you recall, when SC was in the ACC, the Duke and unc games down there were ultra intense, the days of McGuire, Roche, Owens, Ribock et al...

HereBeforeCoachK
10-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Very true, though as I'm sure you recall, when SC was in the ACC, the Duke and unc games down there were ultra intense, the days of McGuire, Roche, Owens, Ribock et al...

OH, in the 70s with those guys it was on.....they were good when Duke wasn't very good. First game in Cameron for me....young tike, about 6 or 7, a Gamecock team I think ranked 2nd in nation came to Cameron (Duke Indoor at the time). Duke had Denton, Katherman, etc. It's one of those indelible memories...for whatever reason...SC ahead 42-21...late first half...Katherman got hot and Duke scored last 14 of the half. Duke Indoor was rocking. Second half, the Gamecocks pulled away.

chrishoke
10-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Pitt is crushing at Syracuse 24-6 at half.

AGDukesky
10-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Unbelievable loss by Wisconsin at previously 2-4 Illinois. I thought Wisconsin was a real sleeper for the playoff but that is a brutal loss!

Pghdukie
10-19-2019, 11:30 PM
The Penn St - Michigan White Out game was an exciting hard fought game. Over 100,000 in attendance.
Just an unbelievable setting for a college football game. Nothing like it.

Bluedog
10-19-2019, 11:37 PM
The Penn St - Michigan White Out game was an exciting hard fought game. Over 100,000 in attendance.
Just an unbelievable setting for a college football game. Nothing like it.

Did you go? Seemed definitely electric. Michigan ran a great play (or rather I should say QB Shea made a great move) on 4th and goal at the three to tie it, but the receiver dropped a perfect pass that hit his chest. Painful for Michigan fans, I'm sure...I didn't see the whole game but seemed like Michigan really outplayed PSU in the second half but dug themselves too big of a hole. Michigan message boards are getting restless at Harbaugh never winning any big games on the road in his Michigan career.

moonpie23
10-20-2019, 12:32 AM
heels looked good...

OldPhiKap
10-20-2019, 02:19 AM
heels looked good...

As often happens, Moonpie made my weekend.

GTHC.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-20-2019, 09:23 AM
heels looked good...

Mack is now oh for three on two point conversion calls, and none of the plays even got close. Man I'm hoping NOT to see that string broken next week.

hudlow
10-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Mack is now oh for three on two point conversion calls, and none of the plays even got close. Man I'm hoping NOT to see that string broken next week.

He uses his trick plays too early in the game. He's got nothing left in the bag when he needs them.
Aside from that, I hope it's not close enough next week for a two point conversion to make a difference....
GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
11-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Penn in trouble late. Good news for Clemson.

sagegrouse
11-09-2019, 05:05 PM

As in Penn State losing to Minnesota. Gotta pull for Minnesota, which hasn't won a Big Ten championship in more than 50 years.

arnie
11-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Watching Ala-LSU. It’s time to do away with College football replay. The refs do not know or understands the rules. No need to delay games further.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Watching Ala-LSU. It’s time to do away with College football replay. The refs do not know or understands the rules. No need to delay games further.

Yeah I totally must misunderstand the rule about voluntarily going out of bounds.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-09-2019, 05:29 PM
He uses his trick plays too early in the game. He's got nothing left in the bag when he needs them.
Aside from that, I hope it's not close enough next week for a two point conversion to make a difference...
GO DUKE!

I just saw your comment...our conversation did not age well......

HereBeforeCoachK
11-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Clemson doesn't need good news....they win out, they're in....they lose one, they're not in. Period.

arnie
11-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Yeah I totally must misunderstand the rule about voluntarily going out of bounds.

Yep and the rules “expert” CBS brought in knows less than either of us.

sagegrouse
11-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Yep and the rules “expert” CBS brought in knows less than either of us.

The referee on the field ruled the receiver was "forced out" of bounds, which is not reviewable. The only issue is whether he re-established in-bounds position. No one said this at the time.

sagegrouse
11-09-2019, 06:51 PM
By the way, I want this LSU guy Edwards-Hilaire on my team. And Joe Burrow ain't bad either.

arnie
11-09-2019, 07:00 PM
The referee on the field ruled the receiver was "forced out" of bounds, which is not reviewable. The only issue is whether he re-established in-bounds position. No one said this at the time.

That explanation would have helped if CBS had told us (Don’t think they knew that either). Not that it matters, but didn’t appear to be forced out to me.

arnie
11-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Liked LSUs approach to win the game rather than not lose it. That last drive was impressive, they have an innovative OC.

arnie
11-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Liked LSUs approach to win the game rather than not lose it. That last drive was impressive, they have an innovative OC.

Of course their DC just screwed up playing bump and run.

SavDukeGrad
11-09-2019, 08:13 PM

According to my son-in-law, a knowledgeable fan from an SEC school, Joe Brady, LSU’s new offensive coach this year (passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach) has made all the difference. He has turned Joe Burrow, who showed flashes last year, into a Heisman candidate with his offensive scheme. My sil thinks someone will likely hire Brady in the off-season for mega-bucks.

Maybe I should add that Brady is young (30), a 2013 graduate of William and Mary, and has been an assistant at W&M, Penn State, and for the New Orleans Saints before this year.

House G
11-09-2019, 08:26 PM
According to my son-in-law, a knowledgeable fan from an SEC school, Joe Brady, LSU’s new offensive coach this year (passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach) has made all the difference. He has turned Joe Burrow, who showed flashes last year, into a Heisman candidate with his offensive scheme. My sil thinks someone will likely hire Brady in the off-season for mega-bucks.

Here is an article about the ascent of Brady:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28015035/how-lsu-tigers-offense-completely-changed-thanks-joe-brady

HereBeforeCoachK
11-10-2019, 07:48 AM
No one is happy that Duke and Bama played....Bama people hate that it's such a meaningless win....hurting their chances to reach the play offs......and it was a guaranteed loss for Duke, a program that always is figuring out how to get to six wins. Usually the opener is one of those games.

Just a terrible schedule on the part of everybody.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2019, 07:57 AM
No one is happy that Duke and Bama played...Bama people hate that it's such a meaningless win...hurting their chances to reach the play offs...and it was a guaranteed loss for Duke, a program that always is figuring out how to get to six wins. Usually the opener is one of those games.

Pretty sure Bama fans hate that they lost to LSU, not who they beat. Their schedule is still harder than Clemson’s.

I am not in the “schedule easy and slink to a bowl in Detroit” camp. If we aspire to be a serious football team, we have to play serious opponents. Aim big, or don’t bother fielding a team.

Aren’t folks ripping Jimmy B. on another thread for cupcake scheduling?

Bluedog
11-10-2019, 07:59 AM
No one is happy that Duke and Bama played...Bama people hate that it's such a meaningless win...hurting their chances to reach the play offs...and it was a guaranteed loss for Duke, a program that always is figuring out how to get to six wins. Usually the opener is one of those games.

Well, Alabama often schedules even bigger patsies than Duke in their out of conference. In fact, THIS season they played 0-9 NM St and still have 3-7 W Carolina out of the SoCon. So not like Duke is a terrible out of conference team compared to their usual slate. They don't typically care given the SEC is so strong.

For Duke, Cutcliffe thinks it's a good opportunity for Duke to be showcased at a national level and to have a really good game day atmosphere against a historic program. So in the short term could hurt chances given it's an almost automatic L, but also has the possibility of upping the program's profile. But one could reasonably argue that Duke should not schedule tough P5 opponents out of conference if it wants to maximize its chances at a bowl.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-10-2019, 09:51 AM
Well, Alabama often schedules even bigger patsies than Duke in their out of conference..

NOT NOT NOT in the Season Opening Showcase game in Atlanta. That's not supposed to be a patsy game. I stand by my statement, in context of that game. Besides which, it's irrelevant to my statement, which is that followers of both teams and journalists alike are slamming that game as detrimental to both teams, and it was.

SavDukeGrad
11-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Arkansas has fired Chad Morris.

Bluedog
11-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Top 25

With Wake losing, they dropped out of the top 25 of the AP poll, so the ACC only has ONE school ranked. When is the last time that happened?? And this is for a FOURTEEN team power conference supposedly. Kinda sad.... The AAC has four teams.

Big Ten -- 7 (Nos. 2, 7, 9, 14, 15, 23, 24).

SEC -- 5 (Nos. 1, 4, 5, 11, 13).

American -- 4 (Nos. 17, 18, 20, 21).

Big 12 -- 4 (Nos. 10, 12, 22, 25).

Pac-12 -- 2 (Nos. 6, 8).

ACC -- 1 (No. 3).

Mountain West -- 1 (No. 19).

Independent -- 1 (No. 16).

YmoBeThere
11-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Top 25

With Wake losing, they dropped out of the top 25 of the AP poll, so the ACC only has ONE school ranked. When is the last time that happened?? And this is for a FOURTEEN team power conference supposedly. Kinda sad... The AAC has four teams.

Big Ten -- 7 (Nos. 2, 7, 9, 14, 15, 23, 24).

SEC -- 5 (Nos. 1, 4, 5, 11, 13).

American -- 4 (Nos. 17, 18, 20, 21).

Big 12 -- 4 (Nos. 10, 12, 22, 25).

Pac-12 -- 2 (Nos. 6, 8).

ACC -- 1 (No. 3).

Mountain West -- 1 (No. 19).

Independent -- 1 (No. 16).

Agreed, I was about to copy paste this. The sad state of ACC fotball.

YmoBeThere
11-10-2019, 05:32 PM
NOT NOT NOT in the Season Opening Showcase game in Atlanta. That's not supposed to be a patsy game. I stand by my statement, in context of that game. Besides which, it's irrelevant to my statement, which is that followers of both teams and journalists alike are slamming that game as detrimental to both teams, and it was.

Yes, but when you scheduled the game, who did you think you would have at quarterback?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure Bama fans hate that they lost to LSU, not who they beat. Their schedule is still harder than Clemson’s.

I am not in the “schedule easy and slink to a bowl in Detroit” camp. If we aspire to be a serious football team, we have to play serious opponents. Aim big, or don’t bother fielding a team.

Let me rephrase this so as to be understood:
A: this comment about the Duke game being a terrible schedule for Bama was BEFORE the LSU loss, and was in the context of Bama could not afford a loss to LSU.
B: The Duke game was not the cupcake homegame where they pay a small school a zillion dollars to get clocked. This was the Kick off classic of the entire season, and these games are not normally, nor are they, cupcakes.
C: Clemson is not relevant to this situation. I'm talking about what Alabama people are saying about Alabama's game with Duke.
D: This game was a terrible schedule for Duke too.

Acymetric
11-11-2019, 11:36 AM

What is a good football metrics site for evaluating strength of schedule?

Bob Green
11-11-2019, 11:45 AM
What is a good football metrics site for evaluating strength of schedule?

Sagarin ranks schedule:

Https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Top 5:

1. Northwestern 2. Auburn 3. Mississippi State 4. Southern Cal 5. Tulsa

Duke is 40.

elvis14
11-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Arkansas has fired Chad Morris.

I know that a lot of Duke football fans are happy with Coach Cut but would like to see him hire a better OC. Chad Morris may or may not be a good head football coach but he IS a very good OC.

JohnJ
11-11-2019, 11:56 AM
All I have seen is complaints from Alabama fans/media that it was a neutral site game as opposed to Duke. If you have links that say specifically that people objected to playing Duke, I would like to see them. I am a proponent of playing against the best to test where the program is - and good for Duke to negotiating a neutral site for the game.

John

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2019, 12:05 PM
All I have seen is complaints from Alabama fans/media that it was a neutral site game as opposed to Duke. If you have links that say specifically that people objected to playing Duke, I would like to see them. I am a proponent of playing against the best to test where the program is - and good for Duke to negotiating a neutral site for the game.

John

I don't know what you're seeing. Of course it was neutral site game...it was that special season opening showcase game....normally featuring two big time programs. This year it was one big time program short. The complaints were only around the Play-off prospects for Alabama due to strength of schedule....that Bama normally would have a good win opportunity from that game...and they did not.

Meanwhile, Duke likely not going bowling, and would normally have a very winnable game in that slot. You cannot analyze this statement without the context of the slot. Bama usually has their SEC games, one showcase kind of game, and then 2 slotted cupcakes at home. This was a showcase, but for strength of scheduling purposes, comes up as a cupcake.

But hey, Bama not going to the playoff and Duke likely not going bowling...but other than that, it was a marvelously scheduled game for everybody.

AustinDevil
11-11-2019, 12:31 PM
I know that a lot of Duke football fans are happy with Coach Cut but would like to see him hire a better OC. Chad Morris may or may not be a good head football coach but he IS a very good OC.
I followed Chad closely at both SMU and Arkansas, and it's well deserved that he won't get another head coaching gig for at least a decade (and only then if he does great in the interim). But I'd be thrilled to have him as Duke's OC.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2019, 12:54 PM
I don't know what you're seeing. Of course it was neutral site game...it was that special season opening showcase game...normally featuring two big time programs. This year it was one big time program short. The complaints were only around the Play-off prospects for Alabama due to strength of schedule...that Bama normally would have a good win opportunity from that game...and they did not.

Meanwhile, Duke likely not going bowling, and would normally have a very winnable game in that slot. You cannot analyze this statement without the context of the slot. Bama usually has their SEC games, one showcase kind of game, and then 2 slotted cupcakes at home. This was a showcase, but for strength of scheduling purposes, comes up as a cupcake.

But hey, Bama not going to the playoff and Duke likely not going bowling...but other than that, it was a marvelously scheduled game for everybody.

Who are you suggesting that Alabama should have scheduled instead, a victory over whom would still have them in the top four after losing at home to LSU? And how would one know that a few years ago when the game was scheduled?

Clemson’s only tough game is Auburn, and I include the ACC Championship in that statement. Alabama plays Auburn, LSU, and if they are in the hunt the winner of the SEC East. THE Ohio State University only had Cincinnati as a ranked non-conference opponent and they won 42-0.

rsvman
11-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Agreed, I was about to copy paste this. The sad state of ACC fotball.

ACC not doing very well in football, either. ;)

Troublemaker
11-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Based on history, Bama locked up a playoff spot with that loss to LSU on Saturday.

elvis14
11-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Who are you suggesting that Alabama should have scheduled instead, a victory over whom would still have them in the top four after losing at home to LSU? And how would one know that a few years ago when the game was scheduled?

Clemson’s only tough game is Auburn, and I include the ACC Championship in that statement. Alabama plays Auburn, LSU, and if they are in the hunt the winner of the SEC East. THE Ohio State University only had Cincinnati as a ranked non-conference opponent and they won 42-0.

Clemson has 2 SEC teams on their non-conference schedule this year: Texas A&M and South Carolina, Auburn isn't scheduled this year. Same thing last year (played a home and home with TAM and Clemson always plays USC). In 2017 and 2016, Clemson did beat Auburn.

Acymetric
11-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Based on history, Bama locked up a playoff spot with that loss to LSU on Saturday.

I think Georgia, Minnesota, Baylor, and maybe Oklahoma or Oregon have a chance to knock 'Bama out. I'll be curious if the playoff committee matches the polls with 'Bama at 4 today.

Edit: Scratch Minnesota, as having them make it would knock out OSU and leave the 4th spot open.

SavDukeGrad
11-11-2019, 02:37 PM
I think Georgia, Minnesota, Baylor, and maybe Oklahoma or Oregon have a chance to knock 'Bama out. I'll be curious if the playoff committee matches the polls with 'Bama at 4 today.

Edit: Scratch Minnesota, as having them make it would knock out OSU and leave the 4th spot open.

For Georgia to get in, they have to beat Auburn, and then beat LSU in the SEC championship game. That will be a tall order. (I didn’t mention they also have to defeat Texas A&M and Ga Tech, because I don’t think they have much to worry about there)

Acymetric
11-11-2019, 02:42 PM
For Georgia to get in, they have to beat Auburn, and then beat LSU in the SEC championship game. That will be a tall order. (I didn’t mention they also have to defeat Texas A&M and Ga Tech, because I don’t think they have much to worry about there)

That's why I said "have a chance". In the case where Georgia runs the table and beats LSU in the title game, I think UGA and LSU are in and 'Bama is left out.

While I don't think the committee will care, I think the lack of quality wins should disqualify Alabama from the running even if they beat Auburn. Should they beat Auburn, they would have exactly one top 40 win.

PackMan97
11-11-2019, 03:52 PM
The sad state of ACC fotball.

Until otherwise proven false, I would like the record to reflect that NC State is not playing football this year.

LasVegas
11-11-2019, 05:08 PM
That's why I said "have a chance". In the case where Georgia runs the table and beats LSU in the title game, I think UGA and LSU are in and 'Bama is left out.

While I don't think the committee will care, I think the lack of quality wins should disqualify Alabama from the running even if they beat Auburn. Should they beat Auburn, they would have exactly one top 40 win.

Depends on what you are looking at. On Sagarin, they have a top 30 win right now which is Texas a&m at 22.

Steven43
11-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Funny.......and true.

Steven43
11-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Oh lord, please not Baylor.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2019, 08:32 PM
Clemson has 2 SEC teams on their non-conference schedule this year: Texas A&M and South Carolina, Auburn isn't scheduled this year. Same thing last year (played a home and home with TAM and Clemson always plays USC). In 2017 and 2016, Clemson did beat Auburn.

Thanks, I must have pulled up the wrong year.

Bama plays both of those teams this year.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Tua taken off the field on a cart after being tackled from behind by two players. He could not put any weight on right leg.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Tua taken off the field on a cart after being tackled from behind by two players. He could not put any weight on right leg.

Tim Tebow was right. This morning he said that Tua should sit, get healthy for Auburn game.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Apparently it is a hip injury. Tua currently getting X-rays. Not good news.

budwom
11-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Football is an odd sport in that it manages to maim so many of its stars on a regular basis....

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 02:16 PM
Tim Tebow was right. This morning he said that Tua should sit, get healthy for Auburn game.

The TV color guy, Griese, said the same thing, and it certainly did appear that Tua was not coming back in after the fifth TD. Jones was warming up....and apparently Nick made a dumb decision.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 02:28 PM
...and apparently Nick made a dumb decision.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Saban said they wanted Tua to get some 2-minute drill practice. I’m certain he would like a do over on that one.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Saban said they wanted Tua to get some 2-minute drill practice. I’m certain he would like a do over on that one.

Sometimes foresight is 20-20 also.

This is not just hindsight.....the TV announcer, the color guy, Griese, said that Tua should be done after 35-7.....and FWIW I agreed.....albeit on my couch at home. It appeared that Tua thought he was done, as a pretty big deal was made out of the fact that he went over the sideline and his posture with his teammates was one that appeared he was done for the day. Meanwhile, Jones, the second string QB, was warming up as if to go it. Something changed.

The TV guys wondered, and I think rightfully so, if Saban told Tua he was done, then changed his mind. It is clear that the Bama players thought Tua was done at the 6-7 minute mark when they scored. So no, this is NOT hindsight. This is I told ya so.

75Crazie
11-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Football is an odd sport in that it manages to maim so many of its stars on a regular basis...
It does say something about our society that a sport that (I cannot think of a better word than yours) maims such a significant percentage of its participants is, by far, the most popular spectator sport in America.

dukelifer
11-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Apparently it is a hip injury. Tua currently getting X-rays. Not good news.

Kid had such an amazing start to his career. This does not look good.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 05:17 PM
It does say something about our society that a sport that (I cannot think of a better word than yours) maims such a significant percentage of its participants is, by far, the most popular spectator sport in America.

And ironically, there are those who think the rules have been watered down, and it's not the physical game it used to be. Clearly, looking at all the QBs for example, who are hurt in college and the NFL, that's not the case.

Steven43
11-16-2019, 05:25 PM

What do you think it says about our society? And do you watch college and/or pro football? I’m not trying to mess with you; I’m honestly just curious to hear your thoughts.

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 05:33 PM
Bad day for injuries. In the UGa - Auburn game, a female student photographer from UGa on the sideline was knocked unconscious when players ran out of bounds. After a long stoppage in play, she was taken off on a stretcher after opening her eyes.

MartyClark
11-16-2019, 05:51 PM

I can think of a better word than "maimed","injured". Look up the dictionary definitions of maimed and I think you will agree that very few football players are maimed, many are injured, most come back and live normal lives.

Football is a great game to watch. I don't think many fans, if any, take delight in the injuries. I'm not sure what you think football fandom says about our society but I think it has nothing to do with injuries. What criticism do you bring on our society about our interest in football?

At the same time, I think CTE is a major issue and anyone who plays football should be aware of the potential for CTE somewhere down the road. I 'm all in favor of the NFL trying to make the game safer.

Not trying to be disagreeable but I don't understand your broad indictment of our society because we generally enjoy football.

elvis14
11-16-2019, 05:54 PM
On a more positive note, Clemson is up on WF 45-3 with 78 minutes left in the 3rd. The Tigers have spend the last month rounding into playoff form...

Last week I was at the NCSU/Clemson game. It was 42-0 at halftime. Most the the State fans left at halftime...I ended up with great seats!

75Crazie
11-16-2019, 06:07 PM
What do you think it says about our society? And do you watch college and/or pro football? I’m not trying to mess with you; I’m honestly just curious to hear your thoughts.
No prob. Any sport has its inherent dangers, but American football seems to be way beyond the norm in that regard. I do not know statistics of the percentage of players (amateur or pro, either one) that suffer serious injuries affecting the quality of life of its participants, but again I would expect American football to have the worst statistics of that type, both in quantity of injuries and in the magnitude of those injuries; I don't think the next sport would be anywhere close (OK, maybe boxing and MMA, but maiming is a goal in those sports, best as I can tell). And the thing that makes it stand out to me is that a significant percentage of these injuries are made possible by the protective gear that football players wear, particularly helmets; defensive gear is being used in offensive (stress on first syllable) manners. I admit to being hypocritical myself, as I still enjoy watching Duke football (and Tennessee football, for the sake of my marriage), but other football (particularly NFL, which bores me to tears) is pretty much dead to me. I cannot help but think that football has reached gladiator sport status in this country.

Then again, I am a Pollyanna.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-16-2019, 06:12 PM

The Romans enjoyed gladiator fighting.

Indoor66
11-16-2019, 06:26 PM
No prob. Any sport has its inherent dangers, but American football seems to be way beyond the norm in that regard. I do not know statistics of the percentage of players (amateur or pro, either one) that suffer serious injuries affecting the quality of life of its participants, but again I would expect American football to have the worst statistics of that type, both in quantity of injuries and in the magnitude of those injuries; I don't think the next sport would be anywhere close (OK, maybe boxing and MMA, but maiming is a goal in those sports, best as I can tell). And the thing that makes it stand out to me is that a significant percentage of these injuries are made possible by the protective gear that football players wear, particularly helmets; defensive gear is being used in offensive (stress on first syllable) manners. I admit to being hypocritical myself, as I still enjoy watching Duke football (and Tennessee football, for the sake of my marriage), but other football (particularly NFL, which bores me to tears) is pretty much dead to me. I cannot help but think that football has reached gladiator sport status in this country.

Then again, I am a Pollyanna.

How about rugby? Play and donate teeth.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2019, 06:37 PM
How about rugby? Play and donate teeth.

Rugby doesn't have as many high speed collisions....different nature of the game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Kid had such an amazing start to his career. This does not look good.
Tua’s done for the season with dislocated hip and could be a career threatening injury.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28093292/sources-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-season-finished-dislocated-hip

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Tua’s done for the season with dislocated hip and could be a career threatening injury.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28093292/sources-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa-season-finished-dislocated-hip

Isn’t a dislocated hip the same injury that Mark Gilbert had last year? I don’t know if he had a fracture as well - I remember the play was away from the ball. But I remember a dr. on the board at the time compared it to the injury that ended Bo Jackson's career, but said the biggest threat to recovery wasn’t the injury itself but the AVN that frequently accompanies the injury.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:10 PM
Isn’t a dislocated hip the same injury that Mark Gilbert had last year? I don’t know if he had a fracture as well - I remember the play was away from the ball. But I remember a dr. on the board at the time compared it to the injury that ended Bo Jackson's career, but said the biggest threat to recovery wasn’t the injury itself but the AVN that frequently accompanies the injury.

Gilbert's injury had some complications regarding blood vessels or blood flow or something from what I recall. Tua's may or may not be as severe.

Acymetric
11-16-2019, 08:55 PM
One more undefeated team falls (Minnesota). Baylor is laying it on thick against Oklahoma. 'Bama probably loses the benefit of the doubt without Tua at the helm and has no path to the playoffs without something like 5 or 6 teams having enormous collapses in the final two wees.

Bob Green
11-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Baylor is laying it on thick against Oklahoma.

A Baylor team Duke defeated decisively last year.

SavDukeGrad
11-16-2019, 09:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Bob. What different trajectories the two teams have taken since that game.

dukie’s_daughter
11-16-2019, 09:21 PM

Wasn’t that with QH at the helm...sigh...

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Has ESPN ever held College GameDay at a site where they aren't even broadcasting the game before?

Stray Gator
11-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Has ESPN ever held College GameDay at a site where they aren't even broadcasting the game before?

Without checking the record to verify this, I'm pretty sure GameDay has been at a number of SEC games that were televised on CBS.

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Without checking the record to verify this, I'm pretty sure GameDay has been at a number of SEC games that were televised on CBS.

Aha, that makes sense I guess. Just seems weird, you would think they would want to do it in a way that promotes whatever their own big matchup of the day is.

Stray Gator
11-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Aha, that makes sense I guess. Just seems weird, you would think they would want to do it in a way that promotes whatever their own big matchup of the day is.

In fact, ESPN College GameDay was at the Auburn-Florida game this season and the Florida-Georgia game last year, both of which were televised on CBS. It's not such an infrequent event.

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Settled in and ready for a full day of college football starting with Penn State at Ohio State. I’m rooting for Penn State but expecting an Ohio State victory.

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Settled in and ready for a full day of college football starting with Penn State at Ohio State. I’m rooting for Penn State but expecting an Ohio State victory.

Rooting for Ohio State. Not interested in cracking the window for Alabama to get in.

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Rooting for Ohio State. Not interested in cracking the window for Alabama to get in.

Valid point of view but I dislike Ohio State a lot.

AGDukesky
11-23-2019, 12:32 PM

I almost posted the exact same thing. Ideally we can have a final 4 of Clemson, Minnesota, some SEC team not named Alabama and, Oregon. Penn State is not beating Ohio State without a lot of luck.

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure I see any chance of Minnesota getting it, but I guess if they beat Ohio State in the championship game they'd have a chance. I'd be concerned that scenario would leave us with Clemson, SEC Champ, Big 12 champ, and Alabama though with Minnesota 5th or 6th.

AGDukesky
11-23-2019, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure I see any chance of Minnesota getting it, but I guess if they beat Ohio State in the championship game they'd have a chance. I'd be concerned that scenario would leave us with Clemson, SEC Champ, Big 12 champ, and Alabama though with Minnesota 5th or 6th.

Ugh my mistake- I forgot Minnesota lost to Iowa last week. Nevermind...

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 12:50 PM
I don't totally trust the committee not to try to sneak LSU, UGA, and 'Bama all into the playoffs if Georgia beats LSU in the champ game to be honest.

SavDukeGrad
11-23-2019, 12:55 PM
I don't totally trust the committee not to try to sneak LSU, UGA, and 'Bama all into the playoffs if Georgia beats LSU in the champ game to be honest.

I don’t think there’s any way the committee would put in 3 SEC teams - the outcry would be too great. 2 yes; 3 no.

If Georgia beats LSU, then Alabama is out.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Not happenin....

devildeac
11-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Valid point of view but I dislike Ohio State a lot.

Please dislike them a bit less as our son now works there and we're in Columbus for the weekend. ;)

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Please dislike them a bit less as our son now works there and we're in Columbus for the weekend. ;)

Ohio State up 21-0 now so it seems pointless to dislike them. Changing the channel is a better tactic.

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Ohio State up 21-0 now so it seems pointless to dislike them. Changing the channel is a better tactic.

Too bad there are basically 0 good football games today.

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Too bad there are basically 0 good football games today.

Well...

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 02:21 PM
Now we got a ball game! Back to back Penn State TDs after starting QB gets hit hard and has to leave game.

arnie
11-23-2019, 02:46 PM

If the OHO loses today and to Michigan and Clempsun finds a way to lose (with both beating no one in top 20) let’s just add Florida at 10-2 and have a party. Would enjoy the outrage.

Acymetric
11-23-2019, 02:59 PM
That (really terrible) interception probably sealed it.

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 03:37 PM
SMU at Navy is up next for me.

devildeac
11-23-2019, 04:12 PM

Ha! PSU made it rather interesting in the 3rd quarter.

YmoBeThere
11-23-2019, 06:02 PM
Nothing like playing an overmatched FCS team to give oneself a false sense of accomplishment...

HereBeforeCoachK
11-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Va Tech winning big, winners of 6 of 7.
Syracuse losing big.
SMH

SavDukeGrad
11-23-2019, 06:33 PM
I’ll make a prediction. I don’t think Georgia is beating LSU.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2019, 06:36 PM
I’ll make a prediction. I don’t think Georgia is beating LSU.

And I guess you’re betting that Texas A&M isn’t beating LSU next week.

(agree with both of those btw)

LSU and tOSU are ahead of everyone else IMO for whatever that is worth.

SavDukeGrad
11-23-2019, 06:44 PM
And I guess you’re betting that Texas A&M isn’t beating LSU next week.

(agree with both of those btw)

LSU and tOSU are ahead of everyone else IMO for whatever that is worth.

Correct, and I’m glad you agree! (Oh, I’m also betting that Georgia beats Ga Tech next week. :rolleyes:)

It should be interesting though. Strength vs strength: LSU offense vs Ga defense.

Bob Green
11-23-2019, 07:08 PM
Great game in Annapolis as Navy beats SMU 35-28.

AustinDevil
11-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Great game in Annapolis as Navy beats SMU 35-28.

Ugh. Ugh. Triple ugh. It was a great game, though.

arnie
11-23-2019, 09:08 PM
FIU shutting out the U at half 13-0. Guess they’ve caught Miami looking ahead to next week.

JasonEvans
11-23-2019, 09:38 PM
It should be interesting though. Strength vs strength: LSU offense vs Ga defense.

I think the weakness versus weakness matchup of the UGA offense versus the LSU defense will be more interesting. Can the inept and unimaginative Ga offense get close to 30 points? Cause as great as the Ga D is, I think LSU will score at least 3 TDs.

Pghdukie
11-23-2019, 10:04 PM
The Ohio St vs Penn St certainly was interesting.

TruBlu
11-23-2019, 11:14 PM
FIU shutting out the U at half 13-0. Guess they’ve caught Miami eagerly looking ahead to next week.

FIFY

BD80
11-23-2019, 11:18 PM
I almost posted the exact same thing. Ideally we can have a final 4 of Clemson, Minnesota, some SEC team not named Alabama and, Oregon. Penn State is not beating Ohio State without a lot of luck.

Won't be Oregon.

75Crazie
11-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Won't be Oregon.
My fear is that Oregon's loss brings Alabama back into the playoff picture.

arnie
11-24-2019, 08:24 AM

Yes either Bama or Oklahoma is my guess. Doubt UGA beats LSU.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2019, 08:32 AM

Your fear is my hope!

Bob Green
11-24-2019, 09:14 AM
Your fear is my hope!

I’ve no issue with Alabama being in the CFP if that’s the way it turns out. At this point in time, which one loss team has the best resume? I say it is the Crimson Tide but it is an arguable point.

BD80
11-24-2019, 06:05 PM
I’ve no issue with Alabama being in the CFP if that’s the way it turns out. At this point in time, which one loss team has the best resume? I say it is the Crimson Tide but it is an arguable point.

On these boards, so is: "what is 2 + 2"

hallcity
11-28-2019, 10:48 PM
I think the Egg Bowl between Ole Miss and Miss State had the wildest ending for a college football game this season. Note to Ole Miss: officials take a dim view of either actual or pretend peeing on the football field.

Stray Gator
11-28-2019, 11:43 PM
I think the Egg Bowl between Ole Miss and Miss State had the wildest ending for a college football game this season. Note to Ole Miss: officials take a dim view of either actual or pretend peeing on the football field.

We watched the Egg Bowl and I could hardly believe what I saw at the end: The Ole Miss player caught a touchdown pass with only 4 seconds left in the game to cap a valiant comeback, then proceeded to exhibit the most moronic "celebration" imaginable -- crawling across the end zone on all fours before cocking up one leg and pretending to pee like a dog, thereby drawing a well-deserved excessive stupidity penalty that resulted in a missed extra point kick that would have tied the game. His idiotic display not only cost his team the opportunity to win a bitter, hard-fought SEC rivalry game in overtime, but simultaneously dimmed the hopes of Duke fans by enabling Mississippi State to become bowl-eligible with 6 wins, thus reducing further the number of potential openings for a 5-win team to go bowling, which would include Duke if the Blue Devils manage to defeat Miami on Saturday.

budwom
11-29-2019, 07:48 AM
We watched the Egg Bowl and I could hardly believe what I saw at the end: The Ole Miss player caught a touchdown pass with only 4 seconds left in the game to cap a valiant comeback, then proceeded to exhibit the most moronic "celebration" imaginable -- crawling across the end zone on all fours before cocking up one leg and pretending to pee like a dog, thereby drawing a well-deserved excessive stupidity penalty that resulted in a missed extra point kick that would have tied the game. His idiotic display not only cost his team the opportunity to win a bitter, hard-fought SEC rivalry game in overtime, but simultaneously dimmed the hopes of Duke fans by enabling Mississippi State to become bowl-eligible with 6 wins, thus reducing further the number of potential openings for a 5-win team to go bowling, which would include Duke if the Blue Devils manage to defeat Miami on Saturday.

if I had to guess in which game such a stunt would occur, I might have have guessed that one.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2019, 07:50 AM
The Ole Miss player caught a touchdown pass with only 4 seconds left in the game to cap a valiant comeback, then proceeded to exhibit the most moronic "celebration" imaginable -- crawling across the end zone on all fours before cocking up one leg and pretending to pee like a dog,

That was indeed the worst I've ever seen. It was not funny. It was not even celebratory. It was childish with zero redeeming value.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2019, 08:04 AM
When you gotta go, you gotta go.

House G
11-29-2019, 08:11 AM
I’ve seen this act before:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnVJC5Z6OU

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2019, 10:04 AM
I’ve seen this act before:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnVJC5Z6OU

Beckham is shaky choice as roll model. Interesting the uniforms look so similar....

hallcity
11-29-2019, 10:38 AM

The thing that got me was that there was no way this was spontaneous. It had to have been planned but how could anyone who planned it not realize it would draw a penalty? Extraordinary stupidity.