PDA

View Full Version : 2019 ACC Football - Week 2

Acymetric
09-07-2019, 11:22 AM
I guess 10 minutes into the first quarter of the Pitt game is as good a time as any to start this.

Wake and Virginia played yesterday, handling Rice and William & Mary handily.

The rest of the slate is pretty tepid with the exception of Clemson-Texas A&M and unc-Miami.

Pitt has a real knack for recruiting players with undesireable names for their positions. Kicker named Blewitt. QB named Pickett. All they need is an RB named Phumbul or a WR named Draup to complete the set.

75Crazie
09-07-2019, 01:05 PM
I would not have called Syracuse/Maryland tepid … but Syracuse is doing its best to make it so. Virginia is maybe a good bet to replace Syracuse in the top 25.

Bob Green
09-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Virginia has a good football team. I was impressed by what I saw last night.

duke2x
09-07-2019, 01:32 PM
I would not have called Syracuse/Maryland tepid … but Syracuse is doing its best to make it so. Virginia is maybe a good bet to replace Syracuse in the top 25.

I'm thinking MD gets that spot. As ESPN says, MD is taking the 'Cuse out to the woodshed right now, and it never hurts to beat a school with a lot of journalist alumni (Syracuse, UNC, etc.)

Acymetric
09-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Yeah, I kind of overlooked that one. Something I either did not know or (possibly more likely) had forgotten is that Scottie is now the OC for Maryland. His offense seems to be humming right along.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2019, 08:35 PM
FSU only up by 3 over UL Monroe, at home, Deep in the fourth quarter. Yikes.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-07-2019, 08:36 PM
FSU only up by 3 over UL Monroe, at home, Deep in the fourth quarter. Yikes.

They were down 4 just a few minutes ago

jb75
09-07-2019, 09:11 PM
After Clemson, the rest of the ACC looks wide open this year. Not much separation in the middle of the pack.

OldPhiKap
09-07-2019, 09:16 PM
FSU wins by one in OT. My, how the mighty have fallen.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Freaking Miami blew it. Had the holes dead at 4th and 17 on their own 40 with two minutes to play and gave up a first down and then a TD. And couldn’t answer. Pathetic.

devildeac
09-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Freaking Miami blew it. Had the holes dead at 4th and 17 on their own 40 with two minutes to play and gave up a first down and then a TD. And couldn’t answer. Pathetic.

Must not have had the proper refs...

:mad:

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2019, 08:06 AM

Miami made a number of brain dead plays in that game.....

Faison1
09-08-2019, 11:56 AM
I just don't understand why the ACC stays so thoroughly mediocre. Has it been 3 or 4 years that we had the really good season? And now reversion back to the mean.

I would have to go:

SEC
Big 10
Big 12
PAC 12/ACC Toss up

Is it coaching, the stadiums, or just plain old Bad JuJu?

TruBlu
09-08-2019, 12:01 PM
I just don't understand why the ACC stays so thoroughly mediocre. Has it been 3 or 4 years that we had the really good season? And now reversion back to the mean.

I would have to go:

SEC
Big 10
Big 12
PAC 12/ACC Toss up

It is more about academics and integrity, with a few minor exceptions and with one notable exception.

OldPhiKap
09-08-2019, 12:08 PM
It is more about academics and integrity, with a few minor exceptions and with one notable exception.

I’d like to think this is true, but I don’t.

Who is really committed to academic integrity? Duke, UVA, maybe Wake? The rest of the schools aren’t struggling because they’re turning down athletes on academic grounds. And even saying that those three are is not entirely true.

JMHO.

TruBlu
09-08-2019, 01:05 PM
I’d like to think this is true, but I don’t.

Who is really committed to academic integrity? Duke, UVA, maybe Wake? The rest of the schools aren’t struggling because they’re turning down athletes on academic grounds. And even saying that those three are is not entirely true.

JMHO.

Well, I did say “more” about honesty and integrity. I did not say the ACC is perfect. As far as the SEC and Big? goes, AFAIK, they each have one (1) University that equates to the three ACC schools you mentioned.

As you said, JMHO.

duke2x
09-08-2019, 01:14 PM
I just don't understand why the ACC stays so thoroughly mediocre. Has it been 3 or 4 years that we had the really good season? And now reversion back to the mean. Is it coaching, the stadiums, or just plain old Bad JuJu?

The bottom of the ACC is better than it used to be. During the 1990's, you could count on 3 gift wins from Duke, Wake, and MD 4/5 years. If one of those three was good, someone else was usually down instead.

Coaching is part of it. Coaching changes are a combination of unrealistic expectations (10+ wins/yr) and the novelty of a new coach for 3-4 years. When you fall below your tolerance point, you change and hope it's better. Most of the ACC doesn't have the ability to improve out of mediocrity except for a flash in the pan season, and I think FSU and VT might be falling back to the pack before their HOF coaches.

budwom
09-08-2019, 02:43 PM
I don't think I buy the premise that the ACC is that terribly bad...last year I saw Duke (what, 3-5 in the conference) go to Northwestern and dominate the Wildcats, far more than the score indicated (Jones went out with a shoulder injury late in the first half I think, after throwing 3 TD passes)....and NW went on to win the Big 10 West...you can see Sagarin's end of season view of the conferences...for sure the SEC divisions are on top, but the ACC is pretty much in the pack with the rest of the P5 conferences.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2018/conference/

HereBeforeCoachK
09-08-2019, 02:48 PM

I would have to go:

SEC
Big 10
Big 12
PAC 12/ACC Toss up

First of all, the crashing of Miami and Florida State is a huge reason. Then you add in that Va Tech slipped some. Clemson has risen to the top as that was going on, but the league went from 3 premiere programs to only one.

As for the stadiums...it's not the stadiums per se. It's the lack of fans to fill them...so many private schools...and even Pitt and Syracuse are kind of quasi private...and Miami is fully private, in addition to Duke, WF, BC and so on. T

AustinDevil
09-09-2019, 11:58 AM
First of all, the crashing of Miami and Florida State is a huge reason. Then you add in that Va Tech slipped some. Clemson has risen to the top as that was going on, but the league went from 3 premiere programs to only one.

As for the stadiums...it's not the stadiums per se. It's the lack of fans to fill them...so many private schools...and even Pitt and Syracuse are kind of quasi private...and Miami is fully private, in addition to Duke, WF, BC and so on. T

Isn't Syracuse actually, fully private? (Tho one of the better private draws not named SC or Notre Dame...)

sagegrouse
09-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Isn't Syracuse actually, fully private? (Tho one of the better private draws not named SC or Notre Dame...)

Pitt is publicly funded but independently run, although once was totally private:

In 1966 the state designated Pitt as a state-related university, which allows it to receive public funds (currently more than $160 million per year). This allows the university to offer reduced tuition to Pennsylvania residents, but it remains under independent control. Pitt is typically listed as a public university.

Syracuse is fully private -- as are BC, Duke, Wake, and Miami -- and let's not forget Notre Dame.

HBCK may be thinking of Cornell, which is charmingly listed as a "public and statutory Ivy League research university." Statutory as in land-grant college; it qualifies for public funding -- I always thought it was the ag school.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Pitt is publicly funded but independently run, although once was totally private:

Syracuse is fully private -- as are BC, Duke, Wake, and Miami -- and let's not forget Notre Dame.

HBCK may be thinking of Cornell, which is charmingly listed as a "public and statutory Ivy League research university." Statutory as in land-grant college; it qualifies for public funding -- I always thought it was the ag school.

Actually, I had Googled something a couple years ago that said Cuse was semi or quasi public/private....but I don't remember the source, and I'll trust you on that. It is apparently private. Interestingly, and ironically, Cuse as a private school has a pretty good amount of "University of " cred for much of NY State....owing to their name and location in a professional heavy state....while Pitt has absolutely zero in Nittany Lion dominated Pennsylvania.

sagegrouse
09-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Actually, I had Googled something a couple years ago that said Cuse was semi or quasi public/private...but I don't remember the source, and I'll trust you on that. It is apparently private. Interestingly, and ironically, Cuse as a private school has a pretty good amount of "University of " cred for much of NY State...owing to their name and location in a professional heavy state...while Pitt has absolutely zero in Nittany Lion dominated Pennsylvania.

Hah! The history as written in Wikipedia is that Syracuse was interested in becoming NY's "land-grant" university, but withdrew in favor of Cornell after receiving some big bucks from Ezra Cornell himself. BTW, the litigious history of Syracuse U., especially in the early years -- makes me think that New York stat has always been thus.

I mean, Wash Duke moved Trinity College from Randolph County to a new campus on the site of the Durham race track and no one seems to have objected.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Isn't Syracuse actually, fully private?

New York's state forestry school was part of Syracuse for a long time. It appears that it no longer officially is, but is it still on the Syracuse campus and has a "special relationship" with Syracuse. I am not clear what is meant by "special relationship".

sagegrouse
09-09-2019, 06:25 PM
New York's state forestry school was part of Syracuse for a long time. It appears that it no longer officially is, but is it still on the Syracuse campus and has a "special relationship" with Syracuse. I am not clear what is meant by "special relationship".

Good hunting there, TZD. Here's some detail--

The New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University was established in 1911 through a bill signed by New York Governor John Alden Dix. The previous year, Governor Hughes had vetoed a bill authorizing such a college.[8] Both bills followed the state's defunding in 1903 of the New York State College of Forestry at Cornell. Originally a unit of Syracuse University, in 1913, the College was made a separate, legal entity.

OldPhiKap
09-09-2019, 06:25 PM

It’s a school “with benefits” I am told by my teenager.