https://twitter.com/Will_Avery5/status/1166889398891372544

chrishoke
08-29-2019, 01:19 AM
Thanks for posting. Kudos to Will.

BD80
08-29-2019, 01:25 AM
Well this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/Will_Avery5/status/1166889398891372544

He got a congrats from Chris Burgess, assistant coach at BYU.

fuse
08-29-2019, 07:17 AM
Takes a lot of courage to go back to school after 20 years.

One benefit of such a long delay may be he can be on campus incognito.

BD80
08-29-2019, 07:26 AM
Takes a lot of courage to go back to school after 20 years.

One benefit of such a long delay may be he can be on campus incognito.

But the campus is in Durham, not Cognito.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-29-2019, 07:49 AM
That’s exciting news. I wonder two things: 1. Did he finish his second semester of classes in 1999 or will he have to retake them? 2. Will he have to camp out to get into the carolina game? I’m guessing No to both questions. LGD GTHc!

Hope this sets sets a precedent for all our one and dones!

BLPOG
08-29-2019, 08:43 AM
That’s exciting news. I wonder two things: 1. Did he finish his second semester of classes in 1999 or will he have to retake them? 2. Will he have to camp out to get into the carolina game? I’m guessing No to both questions. LGD GTHc!

I think the Duke policy is that course credit toward a degree expires after six years.

But this is awesome.

bundabergdevil
08-29-2019, 10:35 AM
But the campus is in Durham, not Cognito.

No, it is in Durham. You just can't see it.

Billy Dat
08-29-2019, 11:17 AM
This is especially sweet news since he became a poster child for the "This is Why Duke Sucks" tropes propagated by Peter Rosenberg and others after Avery's mother says that K yelled at she and William that they were %#&*ing his program by leaving early, and, as a result. I assume he's taking advantage of the "scholarship for life" concept that I have heard K discuss and that the program is covering all of his fees. I assume the program will have him around which should be good for all involved - this is the best kind of story.

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2019, 11:43 AM
I assume the program will have him around which should be good for all involved - this is the best kind of story.

From an article by John Watson.

"I feel I owe it to myself to finish my degree," Avery told Clark in February of 2015. "Second, somewhere along the line I want to become a college basketball coach and I know to do that I need to finish my degree."

While there were some undeniably hard feelings during the summer of 1999 and for a few years after stemming from the decision to leave Duke, Avery says the opportunity to reconnect with the program later in life helped rebuild the relationship with Coach Krzyzewski.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/1999-point-guard-william-avery-will-return-to-Duke-to-pursue-the-completion-of-his-undergraduate-degree-134887338/

devildeac
08-29-2019, 11:53 AM
This brings a big smile to my face. I think K once said (something like), "Each player runs his own race" and I'm very happy Mr. Avery has re-entered the academic portal and I wish him great success.

Indoor66
08-29-2019, 11:56 AM
This brings a big smile to my face. I think K once said (something like), "Each player runs his own race" and I'm very happy Mr. Avery has re-entered the academic portal and I wish him great success.

I agree devildeac. I am happy for Will and wish him nothing but success and happiness.

wilson
08-29-2019, 11:57 AM
...I think K once said (something like), "Each player runs his own race" and I'm very happy Mr. Avery has re-entered the academic portal and I wish him great success.Once?:rolleyes:

devildeac
08-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Once?:rolleyes:

Well, maybe twice:p. But, if you think/believe more than that, we're gonna need links/quotes/ear and eye witnesses/advanced stats to substantiate your claim.

;)

DukieInKansas
08-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Well, maybe twice:p. But, if you think/believe more than that, we're gonna need links/quotes/ear and eye witnesses/advanced stats to substantiate your claim.

;)

I believe there should be some "minutes spent saying it" in the discussion, as well.

rsvman
08-29-2019, 01:10 PM
I believe there should be some "minutes spent saying it" in the discussion, as well.

Or, more true to the form of this board, speculation about how many minutes he will spend saying it during the upcoming season. ;-)

Edouble
08-29-2019, 02:40 PM
This is great to hear.

Hate to open this can of worms, but Avery is the most underrated guard in the K era. Dude was so so smooth.

Monmouth77
08-29-2019, 02:53 PM
This is great to hear.

Hate to open this can of worms, but Avery is the most underrated guard in the K era. Dude was so so smooth.

A "what-if" 1999-2000 lineup that went Boozer, Battier, Carrawell, Williams, Avery (with James and Dunleavy off the bench) would have been nice.

cato
08-29-2019, 03:03 PM

My recollection was that he did not finish out the term, but that could just have been word around campus.

I am both impressed by and jealous of Will.

Edouble
08-29-2019, 05:51 PM
A "what-if" 1999-2000 lineup that went Boozer, Battier, Carrawell, Williams, Avery (with James and Dunleavy off the bench) would have been nice.

I feel confident Jason Williams comes off the bench and Nate is on the floor for this team... that triumvirate of Cwell, Battier, and James was the heart of the 1999-2000 team.

I think Jason Williams' incredible sophomore campaign causes some revisionist history on his freshman year, which had a rough learning curve. Avery as a (hypothetical) junior was way way ahead. 20 years ago, freshman sat unless they were otherworldly or the team was desperate. Even Duhon, who was as good a freshman guard as Williams, only started as a freshman over Nate James once Boozer was injured. I don't think freshman Jason Williams starts over Nate James either.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-29-2019, 06:24 PM
I feel confident Jason Williams comes off the bench and Nate is on the floor for this team... that triumvirate of Cwell, Battier, and James was the heart of the 1999-2000 team.

I think Jason Williams' incredible sophomore campaign causes some revisionist history on his freshman year, which had a rough learning curve. Avery as a (hypothetical) junior was way way ahead. 20 years ago, freshman sat unless they were otherworldly or the team was desperate. Even Duhon, who was as good a freshman guard as Williams, only started as a freshman over Nate James once Boozer was injured. I don't think freshman Jason Williams starts over Nate James either.

No reference here, but this jives with my memory. J-Will had some *outrageous* games as a freshman. But he also had some Hurley-like games. Frustrating games. The number of those games went down dramatically his Sophomore campaign.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2019, 06:50 PM
So . . . does he have to tent for games?

jimsumner
08-29-2019, 07:40 PM

Just curious but where is Maggette in this scenario?

devildeac
08-29-2019, 07:59 PM

O, Maggette, uh-oh.

Or something like that ;).

CrazyNotCrazie
08-29-2019, 08:13 PM
So . . . does he have to tent for games?

He will be a popular addition to most IM basketball teams. I wonder what the NCAA rules are about him being some kind of a practice player - he is roughly 40 now but I'm sure he would still be a great resource for the team. Worst case maybe he can help the women's team?

Congrats to Will on the great decision. I wish him the best of luck in his academic pursuits. I still regret him not getting more PT vs. Kentucky in 1998 when Wayne Turner was consistently blowing by Wojo in their comeback win.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2019, 08:25 PM
He will be a popular addition to most IM basketball teams. I wonder what the NCAA rules are about him being some kind of a practice player - he is roughly 40 now but I'm sure he would still be a great resource for the team. Worst case maybe he can help the women's team?

Congrats to Will on the great decision. I wish him the best of luck in his academic pursuits. I still regret him not getting more PT vs. Kentucky in 1998 when Wayne Turner was consistently blowing by Wojo in their comeback win.

Will runs a basketball camp in his home town of Augusta, Ga. every summer. So he may have some coaching desires.

subzero02
08-29-2019, 08:30 PM
O, Maggette, uh-oh.

Or something like that ;).

Uh-oh Maggette-o... I know they played that on the megatron during his brief stint in Orlando

Monmouth77
08-29-2019, 08:57 PM

The NBA :)

My comment was aimed more at what might have been had the non-lottery picks stayed put. Avery was getting advised to stay and I remember thinking he might. Maggette’s game screamed NBA potential like the one-and-dones of nowadays. Of course all the early entries were unprecedented (for Duke) at that point.

Glad to hear he’s coming back!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-29-2019, 09:11 PM

My comment was aimed more at what might have been had the non-lottery picks stayed put. Avery was getting advised to stay and I remember thinking he might. Maggette’s game screamed NBA potential like the one-and-dones of nowadays. Of course all the early entries were unprecedented (for Duke) at that point.

Maggette has been blowing up the 3 on 3 league.

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2019, 09:15 PM
Will runs a basketball camp in his home town of Augusta, Ga. every summer. So he may have some coaching desires.

He is quoted as such, saying that he wants to coach and knows he needs his degree to make that happen.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-29-2019, 10:02 PM
Didn’t Avery return for K Academy this past summer of the summer before? I feel like he’s been around before this.

JasonEvans
08-30-2019, 07:20 AM

Hey, you may laugh but Joe Johnson, at the spry young age of 57 (actually, he is 38, still younger than Vince Carter) is getting workouts (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27487148/source-joe-johnson-38-work-76ers)from the 76ers, Clippers, Nuggets, and a few others thanks to his play in the Big 3.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-30-2019, 07:58 AM
Hey, you may laugh but Joe Johnson, at the spry young age of 57 (actually, he is 38, still younger than Vince Carter) is getting workouts (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27487148/source-joe-johnson-38-work-76ers)from the 76ers, Clippers, Nuggets, and a few others thanks to his play in the Big 3.

I wasn't joking at all. I'm impressed at his longevity.

rocketeli
08-30-2019, 11:07 AM
This is especially sweet news since he became a poster child for the "This is Why Duke Sucks" tropes propagated by Peter Rosenberg and others after Avery's mother says that K yelled at she and William that they were %#&*ing his program by leaving early, and, as a result. I assume he's taking advantage of the "scholarship for life" concept that I have heard K discuss and that the program is covering all of his fees. I assume the program will have him around which should be good for all involved - this is the best kind of story.

yeah, I remember that "the truth about Duke" a maryland fan site used to feature this story, with Avery's mom complaining about how Coach K didn't support him leaving yet, which I felt was probably counter productive for that website's aims, as anyone reading it would be "well, Coach K was right, he wasn't ready."

Edit to add: But if Jeff Capel could come back (if you don't know, as a player he and his family left Duke on terrible terms with the program) I guess anyone can.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-30-2019, 11:21 AM
yeah, I remember that "the truth about Duke" a maryland fan site used to feature this story, with Avery's mom complaining about how Coach K didn't support him leaving yet, which I felt was probably counter productive for that website's aims, as anyone reading it would be "well, Coach K was right, he wasn't ready."

Edit to add: But if Jeff Capel could come back (if you don't know, as a player he and his family left Duke on terrible terms with the program) I guess anyone can.

I didn't know that about Capel. I do remember an interview after his father passed, where he said he nearly quit the team and transferred.

johnb
08-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Good for him. It’d be amazing if he finishes the 3 or 4 years, but it’s also great if he comes back for a solid semester or 2.

In retrospect, he didn’t do anything that several more recent guys did without much criticism—and at least Will was drafted 14 in the first round, so the NBA apparently agreed that he was ready.

Acymetric
08-30-2019, 01:27 PM

He had a pretty long career in the NBA but I was always surprised he wasn't a bigger contributor.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2019, 01:33 PM
I didn't know that about Capel. I do remember an interview after his father passed, where he said he nearly quit the team and transferred.

Jeff was complaining to his dad his freshman year. His dad, paraphrasing a bit, told him to "go pack up your room, his mom would come get him." Jeff asked why? Sr. asked him "are you starting?" Yes. "are you getting your minutes?" Yes. "Obviously there's no pleasing you, so leave!" Jeff backtracked and stayed.

I have no knowledge about the statement about the relationship after he graduated.

Rich
08-30-2019, 05:16 PM

I always thought Jeff Capel was annoyed at the fans for not giving him the support he felt he deserved since he gave everything he possibly could to the program and was actually booed in some games. I don't think his issues were with Coach K or the program.

johnb
08-30-2019, 06:29 PM
I always thought Jeff Capel was annoyed at the fans for not giving him the support he felt he deserved since he gave everything he possibly could to the program and was actually booed in some games. I don't think his issues were with Coach K or the program.

As a freshman, Capel replaced 4 years of Hurley. That’s tough in itself. He got lots of PT, and I have no doubt that he was both very good and effortful, but he was composed and seemed a bit slow, which contrasted with Bobby, who seemed quicker and looked the opposite of composed (decomposed, composted?). As a sophomore, Jeff was running the team when it lost a school-record 18 games, which didn’t sit well with those of us reclining on couches drinking beer while he sweated blood with his head coach out sick while lots of teams were excited about getting momentarily even with the Duke final four machine.

It’s always hard/impossible to actually know what goes on behind the scenes. Details get overblown and misremembered and even worse, remembered at all. If I’d been as good at what I did as Capel and Will Avery were at what they did, I’d have been famous enough that people might remember some of my off hand comments or transient emotional states decades after I’d forgotten that they’d briefly been mine.

CameronBornAndBred
08-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Continuing to hijack this thread, I don't remember Capel being booed in multiple games, but I do remember him being booed in one. (To be fair, it was one of the few games I went to that season.)
Against UNC, when Gaudet brought Capel back in the game off the bench, there was a very loud BOOOOOOO throughout Cameron, and it was the only time that I've ever heard the Crazies and the Krusties boo anyone on our team. I don't think it was so much against Capel, but against Gaudet for bringing him in.

Of course, Capel went on to make one of the most memorable shots in Duke history, even though we lost the game.

YmoBeThere
08-30-2019, 08:31 PM

If I recall correctly, this is the narrative his brother was pushing while he was at UNC.

gep
08-31-2019, 12:03 AM
Didn’t Avery return for K Academy this past summer of the summer before? I feel like he’s been around before this.

I also recall Avery at the Coach K Academy, though I don't know which summer. I only remember Coach K saying something like Avery wasn't ready to go, but don't recall any of the other stuff... yelling, etc. So when I saw a picture of Avery at the Coach K Academy, I was pleasantly surprised... and happy, that whatever happened in the past, was "in the past". Now he is back at Duke... I would imagine that he'll be "mingling" with the team in some way.

Looks like this was from 2018... Is that Avery?

https://kacademy.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=1&_bqH=eJzTDfIsyNGN98nL1s3LNCstdgv2Ck0OyfEqcw60MjS1M jQwAGEg6RnvEuxsm1iWWlSpBmbHO_q52JYA2aHBrkHxni62oSB 1ZmH5VQYFZoahTpFq8Y7OIbbFqYlFyRkAVOQfLw--&GI_ID=

Sorry... don't know how to post the picture directly...

devildeac
08-31-2019, 12:59 AM
If I recall correctly, this is the narrative his brother was pushing while he was at UNC.

Jeff's still bet-ter: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

Tripping William
08-31-2019, 07:28 AM
Continuing to hijack this thread, I don't remember Capel being booed in multiple games, but I do remember him being booed in one. (To be fair, it was one of the few games I went to that season.)
Against UNC, when Gaudet brought Capel back in the game off the bench, there was a very loud BOOOOOOO throughout Cameron, and it was the only time that I've ever heard the Crazies and the Krusties boo anyone on our team. I don't think it was so much against Capel, but against Gaudet for bringing him in.

Of course, Capel went on to make one of the most memorable shots in Duke history, even though we lost the game.

Pretty sure it was 1997 (Capel’s senior year), not 1995 (his sophomore year). And Florida State, not Carolina. And K not Gaudet. And more a groan than a boo.

I miss Oly (and I think there is a post from him in here somewhere that recounts this bit of Duke hoops history).

devildeac
08-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Pretty sure it was 1997 (Capel’s senior year), not 1995 (his sophomore year). And Florida State, not Carolina. And K not Gaudet. And more a groan than a boo.

I miss Oly (and I think there is a post from him in here somewhere that recounts this bit of Duke hoops history).

I'll bet (no pie) that Jim Sumner *might* help us out this this story...

-jk
08-31-2019, 08:55 AM

Sounds about right.

-jk

tbyers11
08-31-2019, 09:32 AM

I was at that game in December 1996 against FSU. You've hit the high (or low) points correctly.

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2019, 09:53 AM

I wasn't there for his senior game, only the one in 95. (So happy my stepmom was sick that day!)
Maybe my stepmom was sick in 97, too...if she was, the 95 game (and that shot) were more memorable to me.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-31-2019, 11:04 AM

I believe you are correct. It was a noticeable groan, but it was not like all 9,314 people groaned together. I am trying to recall who the preferred alternative at the time was. The other guards on the team were Trajan, Wojo (who was not super popular at the time), and Ricky Price.

brlftz
08-31-2019, 12:05 PM
I was also at that game sitting in the grad section. If there were boos they were isolated and not something I heard from where I sat

Edouble
08-31-2019, 01:43 PM
Over the years, the boos have been made out to be something they were not.

Capel came into the game and no one cheered. Therefore the chorus of just a handful of people booing/groaning was audible.

It was not that the Cameron crowd booed him.

jimsumner
08-31-2019, 02:33 PM
It was FSU, his senior year. I heard groans but Capel told me he heard boos and who am I to argue?

And yes, overnight Duke went from a lock to sign Jason Capel to not-in-a-million years.

But Jeff stuck it out and played the best ball of his career down the stretch of his senior season.

jimsumner
08-31-2019, 02:47 PM

Maggette was the 13th pick of the 1999 draft. Avery was 14th. Doesn't seem like a big difference to me.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-31-2019, 06:44 PM
Maggette was the 13th pick of the 1999 draft. Avery was 14th. Doesn't seem like a big difference to me.

One had a much, much, much better career...

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-31-2019, 08:46 PM
I also recall Avery at the Coach K Academy, though I don't know which summer. I only remember Coach K saying something like Avery wasn't ready to go, but don't recall any of the other stuff... yelling, etc. So when I saw a picture of Avery at the Coach K Academy, I was pleasantly surprised... and happy, that whatever happened in the past, was "in the past". Now he is back at Duke... I would imagine that he'll be "mingling" with the team in some way.

Looks like this was from 2018... Is that Avery?

https://kacademy.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=1&_bqH=eJzTDfIsyNGN98nL1s3LNCstdgv2Ck0OyfEqcw60MjS1M jQwAGEg6RnvEuxsm1iWWlSpBmbHO_q52JYA2aHBrkHxni62oSB 1ZmH5VQYFZoahTpFq8Y7OIbbFqYlFyRkAVOQfLw--&GI_ID=

Sorry... don't know how to post the picture directly...

Wow, nice work. That’s him.

I vaguely remember watching him drop 8 or 9 threes in a December game. He was a baller.

Highlander
09-04-2019, 01:00 PM
It was FSU, his senior year. I heard groans but Capel told me he heard boos and who am I to argue?

And yes, overnight Duke went from a lock to sign Jason Capel to not-in-a-million years.

But Jeff stuck it out and played the best ball of his career down the stretch of his senior season.

Earlier in the thread you asked about Maggette. IIRC, the whole Myron Piggie thing broke the summer after Corey was drafted. Since he was no longer enrolled at Duke, and since Duke had no knowledge of the incident, there was basically nothing the NCAA could do to either of them (I believe the investigation lasted for several years afterwards, resolving in 2004). I imagine that if Maggette had remained at Duke for his sophomore year his eligibility would have been a huge question mark. Duke basically dodged a bullet by him declaring when he did.

Secondly (and tangentially), one stat I've always though was surprising with the Capel brothers is that their respective times at Duke/UNC had horrible h2h records in the rivalry. During their collective 8 years (none of which overlapped) the brothers went a combined 2-17 vs. their rivals (Jeff went 1-7 vs. UNC, while Jason went 1-10 vs. Duke). Part of that was having the misfortune of both being on "rebuilding" teams while the opponents were "reloading" with NBA level talent. But it's surprising nonetheless.

AGDukesky
09-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Earlier in the thread you asked about Maggette. IIRC, the whole Myron Piggie thing broke the summer after Corey was drafted. Since he was no longer enrolled at Duke, and since Duke had no knowledge of the incident, there was basically nothing the NCAA could do to either of them (I believe the investigation lasted for several years afterwards, resolving in 2004). I imagine that if Maggette had remained at Duke for his sophomore year his eligibility would have been a huge question mark. Duke basically dodged a bullet by him declaring .

Although I suppose things could have played out differently for Maggette, the other players involved in the Piggie thing were only suspended a few games the year after being found involved.

jimsumner
09-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Although I suppose things could have played out differently for Maggette, the other players involved in the Piggie thing were only suspended a few games the year after being found involved.

Correct. Maggette likely would have been suspended 4-to-6 games or so and would have been back well before conference play. The fact that he had a much better NBA career than did Avery isn't relevant to the fact that Duke expected both to return for the 2000 season.

And don't forget Chris Burgess, who transferred after the season.

So, a plausible 2000 roster could have included

Boozer
Battier
Carrawell
Maggette
Avery

Williams
Burgess
Dunleavy
James
Sanders
Horvath
Christensen

But no Andre Buckner. :)

subzero02
09-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Correct. Maggette likely would have been suspended 4-to-6 games or so and would have been back well before conference play. The fact that he had a much better NBA career than did Avery isn't relevant to the fact that Duke expected both to return for the 2000 season.

And don't forget Chris Burgess, who transferred after the season.

So, a plausible 2000 roster could have included

Boozer
Battier
Carrawell
Maggette
Avery

Williams
Burgess
Dunleavy
James
Sanders
Horvath
Christensen

But no Andre Buckner. :)

The battle for starting center would have been very interesting. Even if Boozer begins the season healthy, I think that Burgess would have been the starting center during most of preconference play. Regardless, that hypothetical 2000 roster is very deep; this definitely wasn't the case for the actual team. By the time the NCAA tourney rolled around our roster was about as thin as a mono-ravaged Dunleavy.