PDA

View Full Version : Announcing Abby Waner

4Luck
11-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I have to say, Abby Waner is an awesome announcer. Her basketball ability speaks for itself, but she has a spectacular understanding of the game and conveys it very well. For someone who doesn't live nearby it was great to listen to an analysis of the team's play from someone who does know the technical aspects of the game, as well as the players/coaching perspective.

The commentary on the broadcast for the Blue-White game didn't get appealing to listen to until Abby Waner saved the two guys from themselves and in turn us from them...they were seriously dying until she started talking.

Having her be a commentator was a really smart idea. She's great at it for one, but two, if both programs are trying to link themselves together Abby is the perfect person to do it since she is the face of women's basketball at Duke right now.

Plus, I've had more Duke fans/friends talking about Abby Waner than ever...and a few of them haven't even seen her play yet. Some of them are even making a point to schedule watching the women's basketball team's next game and that's great for the women's program.

I can only wonder if she'll be doing more announcing for Duke Inside Access throughout the year. What do you think?

Bluedawg
11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I've been singing her praises for a while now and if your friends want to see her make sure to bring them. I hope more people don't miss the chance to see her play live.

If anyone know if she will be doing any commentary pleas post it ahead of time. I'd like to hear her. that is the "after the WNBA" career she has chosen for herself.

JBDuke
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I have to say, Abby Waner is an awesome announcer. Her basketball ability speaks for itself, but she has a spectacular understanding of the game and conveys it very well. For someone who doesn't live nearby it was great to listen to an analysis of the team's play from someone who does know the technical aspects of the game, as well as the players/coaching perspective.

The commentary on the broadcast for the Blue-White game didn't get appealing to listen to until Abby Waner saved the two guys from themselves and in turn us from them...they were seriously dying until she started talking.

Having her be a commentator was a really smart idea. She's great at it for one, but two, if both programs are trying to link themselves together Abby is the perfect person to do it since she is the face of women's basketball at Duke right now.

Plus, I've had more Duke fans/friends talking about Abby Waner than ever...and a few of them haven't even seen her play yet. Some of them are even making a point to schedule watching the women's basketball team's next game and that's great for the women's program.

I can only wonder if she'll be doing more announcing for Duke Inside Access throughout the year. What do you think?

I echo your sentiments. I was in the Duke chat room and watching Abby on Cable 13, and she really made a huge difference in the Blue-White game. When I heard her doing the Barton game, I was very pleased. The other folks in the chat room seemed to agree with you, too.

We can't have too much Abby! She's knowledgeable and charismatic, and has a casual and fun style to her commentary that allows her personality to show through. I really hope to hear more of her work. The Inside Access upcoming events list doesn't have any more broadcasts for the men's games, which is unfortunate. Looks like the NCCU game is going to be untelevised. I wonder if Cable 13 can still add it?

4Luck
11-04-2007, 06:47 PM
We can't have too much Abby! She's knowledgeable and charismatic, and has a casual and fun style to her commentary that allows her personality to show through. I really hope to hear more of her work. The Inside Access upcoming events list doesn't have any more broadcasts for the men's games, which is unfortunate. Looks like the NCCU game is going to be untelevised. I wonder if Cable 13 can still add it?

Yeah, I love how you instantly know it's Abby. She's got spirit, it's obvious whether she's on the court or off.

Wasn't it interesting in the Blue-White broadcast how she was ready to leave after 5 or so minutes? It didn't seem planned when she was asked to stay, she sounded almost shocked, which makes the fact they brought her back for the Barton game even more telling of how great she did.

The NC Central game is listed on the schedule of added televised events in the Cable 13 feature on GoDuke, it's on ACC Select though unlike the previous broadcasts, so I don't know if the broadcasters would even be the same. However, it would be awesome if she was a commentator again. I wish the men's games (for several reasons) were archived so those who couldn't watch could see.

zingit
11-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Wow, I had no idea she was announcing anything. Not that I would have been able to listen since I was actually at the game, but still, I would have loved to hear her.

Maybe y'all saw this already, but she has a blog (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?page=dukediaries/index) up on GoDuke and ESPN. She is rather entertaining.

ronnic
11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Abby is animatedly funny, she's obviously not afraid to make fun of herself. She seems to have all it takes for Pro-nouncing Abby as an up-and-coming commentator.

buzz
11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I recently inquired about why the games aren't archived, since they were last year. The contact over at goduke.com replied today and said that the men's team requested a delay in posting the games so that opponents couldn't scout our team early on. :cool:

According to the email I received, the 3 games (B/W, Shaw, Barton) should be added in about a week or so.

4Luck
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Haha, now that's funny. That's great the games are going to be archived!!

On another Abby note - She played an excellent game yesterday and I'm looking forward to an awesome year with the W's in control. Go Duke!

ronnic
11-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Another great night as a commentator for Abby. She really knows what she's talking about. I'm looking forward to watch what she and the rest of the women's team do this year.

zingit
11-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm a student and go to all the home games, so I don't know much about these broadcasts y'all are talking about. Could someone please explain to me where I can find these games and how I might be able to go back and listen to them after the game? Thanks.

JBDuke
11-10-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm a student and go to all the home games, so I don't know much about these broadcasts y'all are talking about. Could someone please explain to me where I can find these games and how I might be able to go back and listen to them after the game? Thanks.

Well, the Blue-White scrimmage, and the preseason games vs. Shaw and Barton were broadcast over the Internet via "Duke Inside Access". According to a previous post:

...According to the email I received, the 3 games (B/W, Shaw, Barton) should be added in about a week or so.

So, if you subscribe to "Inside Access", which is $10 a month, you should be able to view the archived versions of these games in a few days. You can get more details by visiting their website here (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=826884&DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=).

The game tonight vs. NCCU was broadcast via "ACC Select", which can be found here: http://acc.playonsports.tv/duke/ I don't know if they archive their games or not.

4decadedukie
11-10-2007, 03:27 AM
I suspect there is VERY little Abby cannot due well . . . I'd like to believe that is a rather typical Duke characteristic.

4Luck
11-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Oh definitely a quality of Dukies - Abby's a Blue Devil through and through.

ronnic
11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Another great night of Abby Waner commentating as the sideline reporter for tonight's game. I wasn't expecting it, so it made it even better...plus the game was a good one with our guard play. Wonder if she'll be doing this all year or just on occasion?

duke74
11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Another great night of Abby Waner commentating as the sideline reporter for tonight's game. I wasn't expecting it, so it made it even better...plus the game was a good one with our guard play. Wonder if she'll be doing this all year or just on occasion?

Also got a bit of attention by the announcers on ESPN

dukemomLA
11-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Abby is really good! Astute, good BB knowledge and vision of the game. Let's hope this will also bring some kudos and attention and attendance to the WBB's games!!! Blue Devils on campus or near campus, get to Cameron!

4Luck
11-13-2007, 05:22 PM
I agree about Abby bringing attention to the women's program being a positive, especically since it's not forced or undeserving. Even better she's really great at it with her personality!