PDA

View Full Version : 2019 ACC Football - Week 1

Acymetric
08-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Week 1 (ish) kicks off today With Miami taking on Florida tonight at 7:00 so I suppose it is time to get this thing started. Will be nice to get a little taste of football this weekend before the main event next Saturday!

OldPhiKap
08-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Week 1 (ish) kicks off today With Miami taking on Florida tonight at 7:00 so I suppose it is time to get this thing started. Will be nice to get a little taste of football this weekend before the main event next Saturday!

Do I really have to root for Miami? I guess so, but . . . Ugh.

Acymetric
08-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Do I really have to root for Miami? I guess so, but . . . Ugh.

Yeah, it doesn't feel right, but I've never really liked Florida (Spurrier notwithstanding). Manny Diaz comes off fairly likable to me as well.

Bob Green
08-24-2019, 06:31 PM
ACC first so I'm going to hold my nose and root for the Canes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-24-2019, 07:32 PM

This.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Fun football so far. Question for the board... does that dumb chain actually motivate players? Feels like a hard maybe.

Bob Green
08-24-2019, 08:42 PM
Fun football so far. Question for the board... does that dumb chain actually motivate players? Feels like a hard maybe.

I'm with you on the hard maybe but there is no doubt turnovers is the story in the 1st half.

Miami 13, Florida 7.

Miami's OL is suspect.

TruBlu
08-24-2019, 08:48 PM
I'm with you on the hard maybe but there is no doubt turnovers is the story in the 1st half.

Miami 13, Florida 7.

Miami's OL is suspect.

When discussing Miami football players, the word “suspect” could have two distinctly different meanings.

tteettimes
08-24-2019, 08:55 PM
When discussing Miami football players, the word “suspect” could have two distinctly different meanings.

You know of what you speak.....

Acymetric
08-24-2019, 10:04 PM
This has been a really enjoyable game.

AGDukesky
08-24-2019, 10:39 PM
Not sure I’ve ever seen more head-scratching plays in one game. Sloppy sloppy game...

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2019, 11:09 PM
My take is that Florida is def not top 10, and that Miami is def not going to win the Coastal.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-24-2019, 11:10 PM
My take is that Florida is def not top 10, and that Miami is def not going to win the Coastal.

As long as Miami wins their next game, all will be well.

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2019, 11:12 PM
As long as Miami wins their next game, all will be well.

I'm on board with that :D
PS...how sad to be a Canes fan. You have to stew for an extra week until your next game, thinking about woulda coulda shoulda.

duke2x
08-24-2019, 11:47 PM
I would argue this is Week 0, but I guess we're combining the two since this game was moved back a week for TV.

Week 1 can tell you if there's a bad season coming up if you have a bad loss. FL isn't a bad loss.

Bob Green
08-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Thursday (8/29):

Georgia Tech at (1) Clemson [ACC Network]

Friday (8/30):

Utah State at Wake Forest [ACC Network]

Saturday (8/31):

Duke at (2) Alabama [ABC]
East Carolina at NC State [ACC Network]
South Carolina at North Carolina [ESPN]
Virginia Tech at Boston College [ACC Network]
(22) Syracuse at Liberty [ESPN+]
Boise State at Florida State [ESPN]
Virginia at Pittsburgh [ACC Network]

Monday (9/2):

(9) Notre Dame at Louisville [ESPN]

Reilly
08-25-2019, 03:31 PM
I would argue this is Week 0 ...

Thursday (8/29):

Friday (8/30):

Utah State at Wake Forest [ACC Network]

Saturday (8/31):

Duke at (2) Alabama [ABC]
East Carolina at NC State [ACC Network]
South Carolina at North Carolina [ESPN]
Virginia Tech at Boston College [ACC Network]
(22) Syracuse at Liberty [ESPN+]
Boise State at Florida State [ESPN]
Virginia at Pittsburgh [ACC Network]

Monday (9/2):

(9) Notre Dame at Louisville [ESPN]

Programming request: rather than "CFB week 0/1 games" could it just be "CFB 8/24 games" or "CFB 8/29-31 games" or something like that?

JasonEvans
08-26-2019, 08:01 AM
Thursday (8/29):

Hey Geoff Collins...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/57/aa/ff57aaa61cf734d4473e74685b4a1afe.png

devildeac
08-26-2019, 01:30 PM

This.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/gators-band-director-injured-in-attack-by-hurricanes-fan-after-season-opener-in-orlando/ar-AAGjtlh?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Apparently, the UF band director was blocked, err, grabbed from behind and thrown to the turf, err, pavement.

No penalty was called.

(yea, still too soon :mad:)

(I'd quote something from the article but the on-line Orlando Sentinel will not allow a copy/paste.)

sagegrouse
08-26-2019, 02:54 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/gators-band-director-injured-in-attack-by-hurricanes-fan-after-season-opener-in-orlando/ar-AAGjtlh?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Apparently, the UF band director was blocked, err, grabbed from behind and thrown to the turf, err, pavement.

No penalty was called.

(yea, still too soon :mad:)

(I'd quote something from the article but the on-line Orlando Sentinel will not allow a copy/paste.)

Big story on CNN front page (https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/26/us/university-of-florida-band-director-attack/index.html).

OldPhiKap
08-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Comcast doesn’t have a contract with the ACC Network, and I’m not re-doing all of my crap to accommodate these greedy bastards.

Clemson-GT? I would normally watch tomorrow, but screw you both. And as much as I love Duke, if they supported this crap then screw them too. I’ll go to the Bama game and maybe check in on games that are televised on, you know, real channels for which I already pay an absurd fee. Otherwise, color me gone. Basketball too.

I’m too old for this crap and am not interested in their business model. Screw them all.

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 07:55 PM
Comcast doesn’t have a contract with the ACC Network, and I’m not re-doing all of my crap to accommodate these greedy bastards.

Clemson-GT? I would normally watch tomorrow, but screw you both. And as much as I love Duke, if they supported this crap then screw them too. I’ll go to the Bama game and maybe check in on games that are televised on, you know, real channels for which I already pay an absurd fee. Otherwise, color me gone. Basketball too.

I’m too old for this crap and am not interested in their business model. Screw them all.

I mean, the ACC is literally the last major conference to get in on this. Unless we wanted to drop out of the power 5 conferences and go hang with the Sun Belt this had to happen.

OldPhiKap
08-28-2019, 08:06 PM
I mean, the ACC is literally the last major conference to get in on this. Unless we wanted to drop out of the power 5 conferences and go hang with the Sun Belt this had to happen.

Because we had a deal with ESPN that paid well I assume. We must have needed more luxury boxes . . . er, TV revenue . . . so screw the fans just jack the prices to see the product.

I’m done.

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Because we had a deal with ESPN that paid well I assume. We must have needed more luxury boxes . . . er, TV revenue . . . so screw the fans just jack the prices to see the product.

I’m done.

Not really. We were behind every conference except the (woeful) PAC-12. Significantly behind the SEC and Big Ten [sic] to the tune of $20-30 million per school. A huge portion of that is the fact that all those other conferences have their own networks. We didn't have some sweetheart big money deal with ESPN that was letting us keep up with the big boys despite not having one.

JetpackJesus
08-28-2019, 09:17 PM

I’m done.

The ACC wasn't paid well, though. Here's the revenue distributions for FY18:

All Power 5's have now released FY 18 tax returns.
Per-school distributions for the year, according to the docs:
-Big Ten: $54M to 12 longest-standing schools
-SEC: $43.7M to all except Mississippi (postseason ban)
-Big 12: $34.7M
-Pac-12 and ACC: $29.5M each

The ACC revenues for FY18 were $465M. The B1G revenues were $760M and SEC revenues were $627M. The gap is primarily due to the BTN and SEC Network. Whether we like it or not, the reality is that the ACC really does need the ACCN to remain a competitive athletic conference.

Source (https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/24/acc-revenue-reaches-465-million-but-distributions-lag-behind-other-power-conferences/)

OldPhiKap
08-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Well, if I’m the only one this bothers, so be it. I’ll be the only fan they lose.

But they can all still go screw themselves.

EPL is on Saturdays and Sundays, I can live with that. No worries.

devildeac
08-28-2019, 10:39 PM

Somebody's gonna need new sod/seeding after this tirade...

(fwiw, I agree with you;))

OldPhiKap
08-29-2019, 06:59 AM
Somebody's gonna need new sod/seeding after this tirade...

(fwiw, I agree with you;))

Oh, and their music sucks too.

whereinthehellami
08-29-2019, 07:46 AM

I'm with you. There was an opportunity to do something different, not just what everybody else has been doing poorly and they blew it. and I'm not going along either. They will get some more money up front in this dying model but with less and less eyes, it is a long term problem. Maybe in a few years they will figure it out but I will have moved on by then. I hope the suits are aware that the next couple of generations aren't exactly lined up to watch their product either.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2019, 08:18 AM
I'm with you. There was an opportunity to do something different, not just what everybody else has been doing poorly and they blew it. and I'm not going along either. They will get some more money up front in this dying model but with less and less eyes, it is a long term problem. Maybe in a few years they will figure it out but I will have moved on by then. I hope the suits are aware that the next couple of generations aren't exactly lined up to watch their product either.

Nope. They watch EPL soccer on weekday mornings, at least in my neck of the woods.

Indoor66
08-29-2019, 08:26 AM
Well, if I’m the only one this bothers, so be it. I’ll be the only fan they lose.

But they can all still go screw themselves.

EPL is on Saturdays and Sundays, I can live with that. No worries.

You are not alone. I, too, am not going to redo all my television life to accommodate this change. I will see what is on ESPN or Networks unless Comcast cuts a deal. Otherwise, I might find a radio station carrying the game.

Acymetric
08-29-2019, 09:46 AM
Guys, Comcast is going to cut a deal. You don't have to switch carriers. Yes you'll miss the game tonight.

OldPhiKap
08-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Guys, Comcast is going to cut a deal. You don't have to switch carriers. Yes you'll miss the game tonight.

Shhh. I'm working up a good lather.

On the plus side, I can root for GT again now that Paul Johnson is gone.

Tripping William
08-29-2019, 10:44 AM

Dish, too? Cuz I'm kinda with OPK and Indoor on this.

Acymetric
08-29-2019, 10:46 AM
On the plus side, I can root for GT again now that Paul Johnson is gone.

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. Going to take some getting used to.

Acymetric
08-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Dish, too? Cuz I'm kinda with OPK and Indoor on this.

I would imagine. Are their any major TV providers who don't carry the SECN, BTN, whatever the PAC-12 thing is called, or the Big 12 thing? It'll get done.

Given that plenty of major carriers have signed on, I would be directing my ire at the carriers not the ACC. Presumably whatever they're asking isn't completely outrageous because the other companies have agreed to it.

budwom
08-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Had DirecTV not included ACCN with all that I already pay them (roughly $200/month when they aren't making adjustments for absurdly bad service), I would have lived without it as well...was not going to pay an extra dime for it.
I think precious few Duke hoop games will be relegated to ACCN, ESPN wants Duke as much as possible on their flagship stations.

CameronBlue
08-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Had DirecTV not included ACCN with all that I already pay them (roughly $200/month when they aren't making adjustments for absurdly bad service), I would have lived without it as well...was not going to pay an extra dime for it.
I think precious few Duke hoop games will be relegated to ACCN, ESPN wants Duke as much as possible on their flagship stations.

Okay, so I'm REALLY late to this discussion and it's probably already been covered--my apologies--but do I have to add ACCN to my DirectV package? I already pay some sort of regional sports fee to get local games but I notice that ACCN, Channel 612 is not yet available. Do I need to just reset my TV? If they want to squeeze yet another fee out of me I'm with the curmudgeons upthread and say screw 'em. I'll go play 3 hours of tennis as long as I can keep the pain at bay with Aleve and opioids. (My knees are shot but I now have a resting heart rate of 52, it's a tradeoff).

budwom
08-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Okay, so I'm REALLY late to this discussion and it's probably already been covered--my apologies--but do I have to add ACCN to my DirectV package? I already pay some sort of regional sports fee to get local games but I notice that ACCN, Channel 612 is not yet available. Do I need to just reset my TV? If they want to squeeze yet another fee out of me I'm with the curmudgeons upthread and say screw 'em. I'll go play 3 hours of tennis as long as I can keep the pain at bay with Aleve and opioids. (My knees are shot but I now have a resting heart rate of 52, it's a tradeoff).

Always tough to say with DirecTV because their reps can be so befuddled...but someone on here said (and it proved to be true with me) that if you had one of the Choice level packages, ACCN was included...(I also have some others sports package).
But it did work for me...as others have noted, some people signed up a long time ago (with any of the TV providers) for some "package" that may have been changed or renamed...

Do you have a Choice level package with DirecTV? (I also would not have paid anything extra beyond what I pay now)...

p.s. I just checked my somewhat inscrutable bill....roughly $88/month for the Choice package with a couple of $7-8 charges thrown in elsewhere for SportsPack and Regional Sports Charge (whatever the hell that is).

CameronBlue
08-29-2019, 02:00 PM
Always tough to say with DirecTV because their reps can be so befuddled...but someone on here said (and it proved to be true with me) that if you had one of the Choice level packages, ACCN was included...(I also have some others sports package).
But it did work for me...as others have noted, some people signed up a long time ago (with any of the TV providers) for some "package" that may have been changed or renamed...

Do you have a Choice level package with DirecTV? (I also would not have paid anything extra beyond what I pay now)...

p.s. I just checked my somewhat inscrutable bill...roughly $88/month for the Choice package with a couple of $7-8 charges thrown in elsewhere for SportsPack and Regional Sports Charge (whatever the hell that is).

Thank you very helpful. I do have a choice level package. My monthly bill is now above $140 so they should give me the channel on principle. DirectV used to offer pretty decent customer service, but the AT&T acquisition isn't going smoothly I've been told by several technicians who have visited my home.

budwom
08-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Thank you very helpful. I do have a choice level package. My monthly bill is now above $140 so they should give me the channel on principle. DirectV used to offer pretty decent customer service, but the AT&T acquisition isn't going smoothly I've been told by several technicians who have visited my home.

Easy to believe about the AT&T acquisition.....for years I had no problems, now I do. Ack.
What happens to a lot of us with cable companies and their ilk is that we signed up for certain "packages" years ago (in my case I've been with DirecTV since they started, maybe 20 years ago?) and the package names have evolved since then, so it's not clear what I'm getting and how I'm getting it (if that makes sense)...whenever they see a chance to yank up the rates, they do not hesitate.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-29-2019, 05:43 PM
I haven't cared about ACC Network. Now I'm annoyed I can't watch Clemson roll GT.

Acymetric
08-29-2019, 05:52 PM
I hadn't tried streaming the ACCN in a few days since seeing the apparently widespread error. Logged in today and good to go!

HereBeforeCoachK
08-29-2019, 09:23 PM
I haven't cared about ACC Network. Now I'm annoyed I can't watch Clemson roll GT.

Not much to watch. This new coach Collins calls a more boring offensive game than Johnson did....which is hard to imagine.

duke2x
08-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Not much to watch. This new coach Collins calls a more boring offensive game than Johnson did...which is hard to imagine.

I have not seen a second of the game, but there may be both correlation and causation there. Collins also might just be trying to get past this game without injuries.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Not much to watch. This new coach Collins calls a more boring offensive game than Johnson did...which is hard to imagine.

Watching with MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor). My main takeaway is Trevor Lawrence has a very high hairline.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Watching with MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor). My main takeaway is Trevor Lawrence has a very high hairline.

..and then there's typical Etienne yards per carry
Average: 29 plus....

budwom
08-30-2019, 07:27 AM

Give him some time and he'll have a good look, kind of a major mullet with nothing up front and a foot of hair in the back.

duke2x
08-30-2019, 11:49 PM
Wake survives Utah St by the score of 38-35. Utah St. has a pretty good QB. Being downed at the 1 after further review with 1:50 to go in the 4th really helped the Deacons. Note that I did not see the game (ACC-N) to say whether the call was correct or incorrect.

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Wake survives Utah St by the score of 38-35. Utah St. has a pretty good QB. Being downed at the 1 after further review with 1:50 to go in the 4th really helped the Deacons. Note that I did not see the game (ACC-N) to say whether the call was correct or incorrect.

It was a good call, and Wake nearly blew their opportunity with three straight stuffed one yard runs. They got the TD with a great catch in the endzone, and then nearly blew their chances again with a targeting call on Utah State's ensuing drive. The day was saved with an INT. Neither team looked great, but it was a very good way for the Deacons to start their season. (Utah St was 11-2 last year.)

HereBeforeCoachK
08-31-2019, 10:20 AM
It was a good call, and Wake nearly blew their opportunity with three straight stuffed one yard runs. They got the TD with a great catch in the endzone, and then nearly blew their chances again with a targeting call on Utah State's ensuing drive. The day was saved with an INT. Neither team looked great, but it was a very good way for the Deacons to start their season. (Utah St was 11-2 last year.)

Could be the two best coaches in the league not named Dabo have the initials DC......I like how Clawson coaches Wake. Over 400 yards passing last night. I think he's better than Grobe for Wake long term, and that's no slam against Grobe, who was awesome.

(we all know who the main DC is right?)

75Crazie
08-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Clawson was a good hire, but Grobe was a bad fire. One could make an argument that Grobe did for Wake what Cutcliffe did for Duke. To me, either one gets a free pass at their respective schools for as long as they want to coach (as long as there is no fire-worthy offense, which would greatly surprise me in either case).

HereBeforeCoachK
08-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Clawson was a good hire, but Grobe was a bad fire. One could make an argument that Grobe did for Wake what Cutcliffe did for Duke. To me, either one gets a free pass at their respective schools for as long as they want to coach (as long as there is no fire-worthy offense, which would greatly surprise me in either case).

Grobe was not fired. He stepped down....his run at Wake had gone a bit stale, as happens with coaches at times. As far as coach for life, for a coach that has resurrected a program, I understand the sentiment but do not agree with the premise. A program can be run into the ground that way. Not saying that was the case with Grobe, or will ever be with Cut - just talking about the idea in general.

Bob Green
08-31-2019, 01:48 PM
FSU offense looking explosive with 31 1st half points against Boise State.

Wander
08-31-2019, 02:50 PM
Turn on Iowa State-Northern Iowa if you want to see a ranked team lose to a 1-AA team...

left_hook_lacey
08-31-2019, 07:14 PM
Wow, Mack Brown pulls off the upset against South Carolina. Didn't see that one coming.

They almost pooped the bed by kneeling 4 Downs in a row, putting SC in hail Mary territory for the last 10 seconds.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Wow, Mack Brown pulls off the upset against South Carolina. Didn't see that one coming.

They almost pooped the bed by kneeling 4 Downs in a row, putting SC in hail Mary territory for the last 10 seconds.

I kinda did see that one coming. I have ties to Duke and SC, and I am not, nor have I ever been, a Will Muschamp fan. So that outcome made my football day an unmitigated disaster.....

Bob Green
09-01-2019, 07:19 AM
FSU offense looking explosive with 31 1st half points against Boise State.

FSU offense looked inept with 0 2nd half points.

left_hook_lacey
09-01-2019, 08:31 AM
FSU offense looked inept with 0 2nd half points.

The proverbial "Tale of Two Halves".