PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke vs Alabama 8/31 3:30 pm ABC

Pages : [1] 2

peteandpete
08-24-2019, 10:44 AM
3:30 in Atlanta on ABC

You gotta believe! Time to hit the other guys before we hurt any more of our own. I'll have to interrupt my Dragoncon activities. LET'S GO DUKE!!

AGDukesky
08-24-2019, 10:47 AM
On 8/31

peteandpete
08-24-2019, 11:03 AM
On 8/31

Thank you both for adding the date. Let's hope that's the only assignment missed by the Blue Devils this week.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Got my tickets, ready to go!!!!

(note, DaughterPK and other guests will be wearing ‘Bama stuff in the Duke section with me, so please be kind)

loran16
08-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Well guys, we've said "We want Bama!" before, and here they are.

Let's take em.

CameronBlue
08-24-2019, 06:35 PM

Let's take em.

35-31 good guys. Bold? Cut eases up on them in the 2nd half. Yeah, I do bold.

Acymetric
08-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Is there a standard place where games are available for replay?

Indoor66
08-24-2019, 07:02 PM
35-31 good guys. Bold? Cut eases up on them in the 2nd half. Yeah, I do bold.

Or delusional?

uh_no
08-24-2019, 07:37 PM
Or delusional?

i'm as hopeful as the next, but the odds of this game being close are quite long. If I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely than not it's less of a game than our last attempt.

That said, I'd watch all the same, were I not to be on a plane.

This is like early season basketball games. if alabama is not winning by a significant margin, something will have to have gone very wrongly for them. We seem to be pretty banged up already....I'm not sure I can bring myself to hope for much more than no further injuries.

It sounds defeatist, but there's also a reason I don't enter into the Chopin piano contest.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-24-2019, 10:38 PM

Just who is "we" that said that.....

budwom
08-25-2019, 07:35 AM
just as a reference pt, given the 34 pt spread and 58 o/u, the anticipated score is 46-12...

arnie
08-25-2019, 07:55 AM
just as a reference pt, given the 34 pt spread and 58 o/u, the anticipated score is 46-12...

Hope it’s not two missed PATs. Special teams scare me cause I think all our ACC games will be close.

CameronBlue
08-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Or delusional?

You my be right. Cut would never "ease" up on anyone in the 2nd half. Encourages bad habits and he knows there'll be no quit in 'Bama.

Reilly
08-25-2019, 01:42 PM

I think we cover: we will run and bleed clock, and our D will slow them down a bit.

mgtr
08-25-2019, 09:19 PM
I was in grad school at Va Tech in the late 60s. Alabama was scheduled to come to Blacksburg, and my wife and I went -- the only football game we ever saw there. Bama won, but by a small amount. The best part was the scoreboard -- when Tech scored, there was a stylized turkey which ran across the top which went "gobble, gobble." I suspect that doesn't happen any more!

Reilly
08-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Duke is not the biggest underdog in the ACC this week

CU(-36)/GT
ND(-20.5)/Lville
Syr (-18)/Liberty
NCSU (-16.5)/ECU
FSU (-5.5)/Boise ST
VT (-4)/BC
WFU (-3.5)/Utah ST
UVA (-2.5)/Pitt
-----------------------
Pitt (+2.5)/UVA
BC (+4)/VT
Mia (+7)/UF
UNC (+9.5)/SoCar
Lville (+20.5)/ND
Duke (+35)/Alabama
GT (+36)/CU

OldPhiKap
08-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Duke is not the biggest underdog in the ACC this week

CU(-36)/GT
ND(-20.5)/Lville
Syr (-18)/Liberty
NCSU (-16.5)/ECU
FSU (-5.5)/Boise ST
VT (-4)/BC
WFU (-3.5)/Utah ST
UVA (-2.5)/Pitt
-----------------------
Pitt (+2.5)/UVA
BC (+4)/VT
Mia (+7)/UF
UNC (+9.5)/SoCar
Lville (+20.5)/ND
Duke (+35)/Alabama
GT (+36)/CU

So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Troublemaker
08-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Let's get after it.

At the same time, if the postgame injury report isn't too bad, that's not a "win" but would be pretty nice.

mattman91
08-27-2019, 10:04 AM
I just hope we score a touchdown.

tteettimes
08-27-2019, 10:26 AM

There you go again........being realistic

budwom
08-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Give them something of a tussle. Keep it close for a half?

mattman91
08-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Give them something of a tussle. Keep it close for a half?

Keep it within 14 at the end of the 1st Q?

chrishoke
08-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Don't look like a high school team. Hit hard. Play with confidence and a bit of swagger. Make some plays. Play hard nosed football till the end. If we play like we did against FSU in the ACC championship game, I'll be pleased even though the score was lopsided.

OldPhiKap
08-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Make 'em play Tua in the fourth quarter. Not many teams even did that last year.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Don't look like a high school team. Hit hard. Play with confidence and a bit of swagger. Make some plays. Play hard nosed football till the end. If we play like we did against FSU in the ACC championship game, I'll be pleased even though the score was lopsided.

...or play like they did a few weeks later against a Texas A and M team that had beaten Bama that year......wide open, taking chances.....exciting......

AGDukesky
08-27-2019, 01:06 PM
No injuries and make Alabama take at least 6 plays to score each time. Get within 40 points.

elvis14
08-27-2019, 01:40 PM
So the realist in me just has to ask you all: what is your real prediction on the final score?

CameronBlue
08-27-2019, 02:05 PM
So the realist in me just has to ask you all: what is your real prediction on the final score?

I've aleady given mine. Apparenlty it's an outlier.

Acymetric
08-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Take the over. I think Duke covers. Not really sure beyond that.

"So you're saying there's a chance."

Devilwin
08-27-2019, 02:25 PM
55 to 13.'Bama..:(

Acymetric
08-27-2019, 02:28 PM
55 to 13.'Bama..:(

What's your pick for how we get to 13?

1 TD, Two field goals
Missed XP
3 field goals and 2 safeties
2 pt conversion, field goal, and 1 safety

Bob Green
08-27-2019, 03:06 PM

My expectations are much higher than yours.

Acymetric
08-27-2019, 03:20 PM
My expectations are much higher than yours.

I think we score (more than once), but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about the possibility of a shutout.

This was at a glance so I may be off by a game or two, but in the last 3 years 'Bama has shut out 6 opponents and 13 opponents have failed to score a TD (likely some of those were not offensive TDs, but I didn't dive that deep). Only two of those teams have worse offenses than what a reasonable yet optimistic view of this year's team would be.

Bob Green
08-27-2019, 03:31 PM
I think we score (more than once), but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about the possibility of a shutout.

Agreed. It isn't unreasonable but I expect we will score (more than once) same as you.

Last year we played Clemson tough in the 1st half. The score was 14-6 at halftime before Clemson smacked us around 21-0 in the 2nd half. My expectation for Saturday afternoon is the game will still be competitive at the start of the 4th quarter. If we can achieve that who knows what the 4th quarter will bring.

The defense is going to have to play very, very strong to keep the score down if we are to have a chance. Alabama has three, correction at least three, very talented wide receivers. We must pressure Tua, get some hurries, a sack or two, knock him down, or it will be a long afternoon for the secondary.

fuse
08-27-2019, 03:34 PM
I suspect at least one of our backs shocks Alabama with a big run, similar to Shaun Wilson against Notre Dame (yes, I recall it was a kickoff return).

63-7, Alabama.

I’ll stick with my outcome hoping for a healthy Duke team after the game.

devildeac
08-27-2019, 04:03 PM
I suspect at least one of our backs shocks Alabama with a big run, similar to Shaun Wilson against Notre Dame (yes, I recall it was a kickoff return).

63-7, Alabama.

I’ll stick with my outcome hoping for a healthy Duke team after the game.

I *think* we hold 'em to 56...

:rolleyes::p

fuse
08-27-2019, 04:27 PM
I *think* we hold 'em to 56...

:rolleyes::p

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=302610150

Should be the scoring summary from Alabama at Duke in 2010. Probably the most amazing/electric environment at Wally Wade, which took the edge off the absolute beating we witnessed.

Ingram was coming off an injury and looked amazing against Duke in his first game back.

Q1 28-3
Q2 45-13
Q3 55-13
Q4 62-13

As foolish as it is to compare a game from nine years ago, we can likely agree Alabama is as good or better than it was in 2010.

As for Duke...

2010 may have been close to the peak of the Duke kicking game (thank you Will Snyderwine).

If you give Harris the benefit of the doubt as a push with Renfree, there’s that.

The receiving corps is arguably worse. The running backs may be way better.

Hopefully, both Duke’s O line and D line are much improved, and make a difference.

Alabama scored quickly, and we “kept it close” by holding on to the ball, winning time of possession.

While I don’t think we’ll run a wishbone, I doubt we’ll gamble with a lot of passes against Alabama. Three yards and a cloud of dust (fake turf dirt?) is what I expect we’ll see along with everyone’s favorite bubble screens.

I suspect Duke playing Alabama in football is as close as most of us will experience what other basketball program fans feel about playing Duke.

Bob Green
08-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Game notes:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5488755.pdf

Depth Chart is on Page 9. Starting wide receivers are Scott Bracey (#11), Jalon Calhoun (#5) and Aaron Young (#81).

CameronBornAndBred
08-27-2019, 04:34 PM
Game notes:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5488755.pdf

Depth Chart is on Page 9. Starting wide receivers are Scott Bracey (#11), Jalon Calhoun (#5) and Aaron Young (#81).

Crossing fingers that Bracey has a coming out party.

OldPhiKap
08-27-2019, 04:45 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=302610150

Should be the scoring summary from Alabama at Duke in 2010. Probably the most amazing/electric environment at Wally Wade, which took the edge off the absolute beating we witnessed.

Ingram was coming off an injury and looked amazing against Duke in his first game back.

Q1 28-3
Q2 45-13
Q3 55-13
Q4 62-13

As foolish as it is to compare a game from nine years ago, we can likely agree Alabama is as good or better than it was in 2010.

As for Duke...

2010 may have been close to the peak of the Duke kicking game (thank you Will Snyderwine).

If you give Harris the benefit of the doubt as a push with Renfree, there’s that.

The receiving corps is arguably worse. The running backs may be way better.

Hopefully, both Duke’s O line and D line are much improved, and make a difference.

Alabama scored quickly, and we “kept it close” by holding on to the ball, winning time of possession.

While I don’t think we’ll run a wishbone, I doubt we’ll gamble with a lot of passes against Alabama. Three yards and a cloud of dust (fake turf dirt?) is what I expect we’ll see along with everyone’s favorite bubble screens.

I suspect Duke playing Alabama in football is as close as most of us will experience what other basketball program fans feel about playing Duke.

I also seem to recall us picking them off in the closed end zone in the first half to keep them from scoring again.

Alabama has some incredible WRs this year, one of Saban's best groups in a long time I think. That, and Tua, will be a HUGE challenge for our secondary.

I'm praying for rain. And for the roof to be open.

Acymetric
08-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Is the Duke-Baylor game from last year available to stream anywhere? Any recommendations for other entertaining games from last year to watch while (patiently) awaiting opening weekend?

Bob Green
08-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Is the Duke-Baylor game from last year available to stream anywhere? Any recommendations for other entertaining games from last year to watch while (patiently) awaiting opening weekend?

It's compressed -- one hour and 12 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SX-L2h-6tw

or really compressed 19 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhtYcT-LnQ

or straight up highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULqVvZy2eI&t=70s

Bob Green
08-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Front page article on Duke - Alabama:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/27/20834659/getting-ready-for-bama-duke-football

Coach Cutcliffe on Alabama QB Tua:

He has everything you want to start with in a quarterback. Unbelievable accuracy. Great, quick release. If he has the time, he’s going to be accurate and he’s going to be deadly with the ball down the field. So, you’ve got to mix up coverage, you’ve got to mix up rush, make it as difficult on him as possible.

Coach Cutcliffe on Duke:

This team can run the football. We are diverse offensively. There are a lot of different people who will come into play.

91Duke
08-27-2019, 08:08 PM
2 Alabama RBs suspended for the first half.......

https://bleacherreport.com/post/alabama-crimson-tide-football/46269b39-1a66-4e06-b748-47cb2539a981

No stopping the Blue Devils now... right.. right?

OldPhiKap
08-27-2019, 08:14 PM
2 Alabama RBs suspended for the first half....

https://bleacherreport.com/post/alabama-crimson-tide-football/46269b39-1a66-4e06-b748-47cb2539a981

No stopping the Blue Devils now... right.. right?

Works for me!

CameronBlue
08-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Works for me!

Suspenders?

Scorp4me
08-27-2019, 08:49 PM
It's compressed -- one hour and 12 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SX-L2h-6tw

or really compressed 19 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhtYcT-LnQ

or straight up highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULqVvZy2eI&t=70s

After watching the highlights I was reminded of what great touch Harris seemed to have on the long passes, better than Jones. Not that Jones didn't have an arm, but his connection with the receivers never seemed to be good. Harris seemed to struggle with the short passes though, hopefully he has that figured out.

What I didn't remember was what a quick release Harris had. I noticed it especially while watching the highlights of his touchdown pass to Lloyd (around 1:15). Hopefully that is an attribute that will help him Saturday.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-27-2019, 09:50 PM
After watching the highlights I was reminded of what great touch Harris seemed to have on the long passes, better than Jones. Not that Jones didn't have an arm, but his connection with the receivers never seemed to be good. Harris seemed to struggle with the short passes though, hopefully he has that figured out.

What I didn't remember was what a quick release Harris had. I noticed it especially while watching the highlights of his touchdown pass to Lloyd (around 1:15). Hopefully that is an attribute that will help him Saturday.

I too think QH had more consistency on the long pass.....but of course, the sample size for the season was small....but he did hit the HR from time to time.

duke2x
08-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Baylor's defense was UNC-bad, but I share the optimism for Harris. I'm much more worried about the defense going into Saturday.

budwom
08-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Major question is how much time Harris will have to throw, what with our two freshman offensive tackles....apt to see a lot more short stuff, but ya never know, Cut will be going into Full Chicanery mode for this one.

Aladuke
08-28-2019, 07:52 AM
There are now four Bama players suspended for the first half, including their top two running backs and a starting wideout. While the third team back is a true freshman 5 star and may become the next Barry Saunders, he is probably unaccustomed to blocking and protecting his QB. I would suspect that this helps Dukes pressure and blitz packages, and it will be easier to roll coverage to Jeudy. Tua running for his life was a huge problem against Georgia and Clemson with two great backs blocking for him last year. This will be an area to exploit, at least for a half. There is an avenue for success, at least for one half.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Major question is how much time Harris will have to throw, what with our two freshman offensive tackles...apt to see a lot more short stuff, but ya never know, Cut will be going into Full Chicanery mode for this one.

Best chance to have good protection is first play of the game...play action to one of our backs, hope Garner can get deep on the secondary....chunk it long....

fuse
08-28-2019, 08:55 AM
With all the Alabama suspensions, I’ll revise my scoring prediction from 63-7 to 42-7. 🤪

I did notice a video this week of Saban defending punishment and moving on instead of dismissals that mentioned Muhsin Muhammad and his time at Michigan State before starring with the Panthers.

Let’s Go Duke!

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 09:00 AM
Best chance to have good protection is first play of the game...play action to one of our backs, hope Garner can get deep on the secondary...chunk it long...

Garner did not crack the 2-deep so I do not expect to see him running a vertical route on play one.

elvis14
08-28-2019, 09:33 AM
With the suspensions for Alabama I'm going to predict a final score of 56-3. Before the suspensions I was thinking it would be 56-3. Bama has more depth than any team in the country most years. Seems like their 3rd string guys would be a top 20 team. Clemson thumped them in their last game and that was just a beautiful thing :-)

tteettimes
08-28-2019, 09:39 AM
With the suspensions for Alabama I'm going to predict a final score of 56-3. Before the suspensions I was thinking it would be 56-3. Bama has more depth than any team in the country most years. Seems like their 3rd string guys would be a top 20 team. Clemson thumped them in their last game and that was just a beautiful thing :-)

SO——-you actually believe we’ll score.........

HereBeforeCoachK
08-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Garner did not crack the 2-deep so I do not expect to see him running a vertical route on play one.

With his speed, that's disappointing to hear. Do we have anyone else who could possibly get deep on Bama? I've heard that Philyaw-Johnson's track speed has not yet translated to running in pads in live action.

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2019, 09:51 AM

Yes, but now it might be 14-3 at half. :rolleyes:

I'm not offering any predictions for the score, I don't know enough about either team, other than that 'Bama is going to be very, very good. However, the first game of the season is always a prime one to catch a team off guard.

Rogue
08-28-2019, 09:58 AM
I always think there's a major upset every Sept ( Aug ) .. App State at Michigan , there's others. So I always think there's a chance to shock the nation. No, I don't believe there will be THE UPSET , but I sit down to watch, and think, " maybe " .

devildeac
08-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Amusing stuff, elvis;).

Can/should we put on Citadel unis for the first half?

https://citadelsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=5564&path=football

:rolleyes:

sagegrouse
08-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Amusing stuff, elvis;).

Can/should we put on Citadel unis for the first half?

https://citadelsports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=5564&path=football

2007. Saban returns. Univ of Louisiana Monroe 21, Bama 14.

jimsumner
08-28-2019, 11:36 AM
With his speed, that's disappointing to hear. Do we have anyone else who could possibly get deep on Bama? I've heard that Philyaw-Johnson's track speed has not yet translated to running in pads in live action.

Aaron Young can get deep on anybody.

But can Duke protect Harris long enough for him to take some deep shots?

Given the fact that Duke is down to two recruited quarterbacks, given that Duke has two freshmen starting at OL, given that Duke would like to keep Tua and Jeudy and company off the field, I suspect we'll see lots of quick, timing passes, especially passes to Jackson and Brown. Duke cannot expose Harris to anything more than the minimum amount of contact.

Expect to see lots of Deon Jackson and lots of Brittain Brown. Lots.

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Aaron Young can get deep on anybody.

But can Duke protect Harris long enough for him to take some deep shots?

Given the fact that Duke is down to two recruited quarterbacks, given that Duke has two freshmen starting at OL, given that Duke would like to keep Tua and Jeudy and company off the field, I suspect we'll see lots of quick, timing passes, especially passes to Jackson and Brown. Duke cannot expose Harris to anything more than the minimum amount of contact.

Expect to see lots of Deon Jackson and lots of Brittain Brown. Lots.

That makes me so nervous because Alabama has the defense to jump those routes all day. They better be quick.

A quick thanks to Bob for various links, watching the Baylor game confirmed what I remembered about QH, and reminded me of a few other positives.

His completion percentage was low, but that is largely a factor of him never holding the ball too long and being willing to just throw the ball away rather than force something. He might have a lowish (relatively) completion percentage again this year, but I also expect he won't have a lot of picks. He is safe with the ball, takes what's there, and is willing to throw the ball away rather than force a throw into coverage or take a sack. What I had forgotten is the nice touch he showed on his deep balls, as someone else mentioned.

Lloyd had an absolutely outstanding catch with 2 defenders right on him, if nothing else everyone should go watch the short "highlights" clip Bob linked earlier.

Tripping William
08-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Reports of a season-ending ACL tear at last night's practice for Tide LB Dylan Moses (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-star-linebacker-dylan-moses-suffers-season-ending-knee-injury-per-report/), a pre-season All-American and Butkus Award candidate. Hate that for the kid.

Aladuke
08-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Reports of a season-ending ACL tear at last night's practice for Tide LB Dylan Moses (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-star-linebacker-dylan-moses-suffers-season-ending-knee-injury-per-report/), a pre-season All-American and Butkus Award candidate. Hate that for the kid.

Now this on top of the suspensions, of which one is a starting OLB. The other starting OLB is a true freshman. Alabama's two deep includes 13 true freshmen. A true freshman placekicker and nose guard will also start. They have lost their top 2 tight ends and will have 3 new interior line starters on offense. They didn't protect well last year. I know they are Alabama, and these freshmen were great high school prospects, but even experienced players make early season mistakes. Throw in the suspensions and the loss of Moses along with first game jitters and this could be interesting for a little while. If Duke doesn't completely melt down and shows some competence, it could even stay interesting. Bama fans think Big Al and a couple cheerleaders can handle Duke. I hope the team is of the same mindset. If four upperclassmen have been suspended for missing a team function, they were not focused on Duke yesterday. Saban is trying to correct that. Not sure who replaces Moses, but he's not Dylan Moses, their heart and soul on defense.

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 01:01 PM
They have lost their top 2 tight ends and will have 3 new interior line starters on offense. They didn't protect well last year. I know they are Alabama, and these freshmen were great high school prospects, but even experienced players make early season mistakes.

As I stated upthread, and more important what Coach Cutcliffe said in his press conference, pressuring Tua will be key. Our defensive line/defensive scheme must get after Tua and pressure him.

Coach Cutcliffe quote on Tua from Jim's front page article:

If he has the time, he’s going to be accurate and he’s going to be deadly with the ball down the field. So, you’ve got to mix up coverage, you’ve got to mix up rush, make it as difficult on him as possible.

I like our chances to sack him once or twice and/or force him to throw a pick or two.

devildeac
08-28-2019, 01:20 PM

ATTN: elvis14 and fuse

Care to change your predictions again?

(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 03:28 PM
Tua talks about his wide receivers making him look good and says Duke defense is well coached and does a good job disguising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVGaTgD3odU

budwom
08-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Bama writer foresees a drubbing:

https://bamahammer.com/2019/08/28/alabama-football-five-bold-predictions-tide-blue-devils/

Reddevil
08-28-2019, 04:19 PM
Any idea what uniforms they will be wearing?

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 04:28 PM

That writer is so overconfident his team will "obliterate" Duke he sounds like a Blue Devil basketball fan in November. :rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2019, 04:29 PM

https://bamahammer.com/2019/08/28/alabama-football-five-bold-predictions-tide-blue-devils/

Those are "bold" predictions? Whattafluffpiece.

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Any idea what uniforms they will be wearing?

Uniforms are typically revealed on Thursday. I believe we are the visitors so some combination dominated by white. There is no better time than now to initiate the helmet wars so I'll toss the first stone and state the Duke Script looks better than the Iron D.

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Uniforms are typically revealed on Thursday. I believe we are the visitors so some combination dominated by white. There is no better time than now to initiate the helmet wars so I'll toss the first stone and state the Duke Script looks better than the Iron D.

Do we have a blue script helment? I can't remember.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-28-2019, 04:43 PM
Whatever helmet ornamentation is chosen will include something to honor Mike and Jerry McGee.

duke79
08-28-2019, 04:44 PM

I hope he's wrong (obviously) and I'd love to see Duke give them a tough game BUT (and I don't mean to be a pessimist) games against teams like Alabama usually just showcase that they're bigger, stronger, faster and better football players and that's a tough mountain to overcome! It's a little like when Delaware St. comes down to CIS to play the Duke men's BB team.

In any event, it will be great just see the Duke football team on the same field with Alabama!

duke79
08-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Call me a traditionalist but I still like the Duke blue jersey with the white pants and blue helmet (although, if we're designated as the visiting team, I assume we will not be wearing the blue jerseys?). I'm actually not wild about either the Iron Duke "D" OR the Duke script on the helmets. I can't remember if there is a third option?

luvdahops
08-28-2019, 04:49 PM

Blasphemy! :)

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 04:53 PM
Call me a traditionalist but I still like the Duke blue jersey with the white pants and blue helmet (although, if we're designated as the visiting team, I assume we will not be wearing the blue jerseys?). I'm actually not wild about either the Iron Duke "D" OR the Duke script on the helmets. I can't remember if there is a third option?

This is the boat I'm in. We do have a third option with the devil logo which is arguably even worse. I do prefer the "white-blue-white" combo. I'm not sure what we could use that would really make our helmets stand out.

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Do we have a blue script helment? I can't remember.

Yes, here it is:

Acymetric
08-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Yes, here it is:

Thanks. Assuming we're in white jerseys I hope either our pants or our helmets are blue. Don't care for all-whites (this is true of pretty much any team's all white look).

elvis14
08-28-2019, 05:06 PM
ATTN: elvis14 and fuse

Care to change your predictions again?

(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

That ACL tear for Bama's LB is a tough blow for the Tide. After taking that into consideration I'd say the Tide will roll to win at 56-3

Note...I hope I'm wrong. I'd love it if Duke gave them a stern test.

duke79
08-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Yes, here it is:

I like THAT helmet!

luvdahops
08-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Thanks. Assuming we're in white jerseys I hope either our pants or our helmets are blue. Don't care for all-whites (this is true of pretty much any team's all white look).

I don't care for the all-white look, either. But ours is better than most, given stripes on the helmet, jersey and pants, as opposed to the plain white Storm Trooper look that is way too prevalent these days, and makes teams wearing them look utterly nondescript and unrecognizable (despite being done for marketing/branding purposes, or so I'm told).

duke79
08-28-2019, 05:20 PM

I especially hate Penn St.'s all-white ensemble - SO boring! (with Stanford a close second).

Steven43
08-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Let's take em.

We’ve said “We want ‘Bama!”?? I certainly have not said that and don’t know of a DBR poster who has. I took my dad, my son, and my Uncle Joe (from Southern California) to the Alabama v. Duke football game at Wallace Wade in September of 2010. After a 62-13 blitzkrieg we sulked home much less happy than we had been five hours earlier.

moonpie23
08-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Duke gonna shock the world.....

devildeac
08-28-2019, 06:03 PM
That ACL tear for Bama's LB is a tough blow for the Tide. After taking that into consideration I'd say the Tide will roll to win at 56-3

Note...I hope I'm wrong. I'd love it if Duke gave them a stern test.

That prediction sounds *strangely* familiar.

fuse
08-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Duke gonna shock the world....

You need to share what you are drinking on the Ymm, Beer thread- I’ll take two 🤣

Reilly
08-28-2019, 06:38 PM
... I'll toss the first stone and state the Duke Script looks better than the Iron D.

I think we all realized it would happen some time (though it's still sad to see): after hundreds/thousands of great posts re: Duke football, Bob puts forward one w/ no basis in fact and flat wrong.

richmclean
08-28-2019, 07:15 PM
We’ve beaten Notre Dame,VT and da U in recent years all of which were unthinkable a decade ago. Now it helped that these teams were not as good as in the past. Jus sayin’.

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 07:43 PM
I think we all realized it would happen some time (though it's still sad to see): after hundreds/thousands of great posts re: Duke football, Bob puts forward one w/ no basis in fact and flat wrong.

Unfortunately:

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Reilly again.

I'm sure somebody will give you Reputation Points in my stead.

OldPhiKap
08-28-2019, 07:53 PM
I'm sure somebody will give you Reputation Points in my stead.

Yup. That happened.

martydoesntfoul
08-28-2019, 09:28 PM
Uniforms are typically revealed on Thursday. I believe we are the visitors so some combination dominated by white. There is no better time than now to initiate the helmet wars so I'll toss the first stone and state the Duke Script looks better than the Iron D. visitors or victims? Either way, I’ll be there and ready to rumble (for whatever that’s worth)...

devildeac
08-28-2019, 10:43 PM
You need to share what you are drinking on the Ymm, Beer thread- I’ll take two 🤣

Shameless.

;)

I'll take a 4 pack (or a 6er).

:o

Avvocato
08-28-2019, 11:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing the team take on Alabama. I'm a realist though and have no expectations or illusions for Saturday. Alabama is hard for anyone to run on. I think they stack the line daring QH to beat us with his arm. With inexperienced receivers, I just see trouble (genius observation there). I actually think the key may be QH using his legs to set up some completions and hopefully open up Bama's defense a little. I like our defense this year, but this is just a tough match-up. However, you can't play scared and I hope the team embraces the challenge and moment.

Putting Alabama aside, I'm curious to see how the team develops this year. As always, I think the key to the season is the quarterback (as it is most seasons). I think we have studs in the backfield. I think we have a nice combination of experience and youth on the line. I just can't say I know what we have with QH. I'm happy the way he played against Baylor, but hard to know what that means for a full season. Also need to see his completion percentage go up a bit. I'm cautiously optimistic. If he can't play solidly, I think people will just stack the line and our running backs may be swallowed up. Everyone is saying the right things. Let's see what happens. I'm also not going to judge anyone based on the Alabama game. No over or under reactions. The NC A&T and Mid Tennessee games will actually tell us more, I think.

Defensively, I like our defense. I think the linebackers will be the key. If we have two guys who can step up and play solidly, I think our secondary and line should be good. We don't have elite pass rushers, but I think they can do a good enough job. I think our injuries last year to our secondary will pay off this year. I think we have lots of depth and some young, talented, experienced players back there. If our linebackers can do enough of a job in the running game, I think we will have a pretty good defense. I am a Chris Rumph fan, so I hope we find snaps for him. He impressed me each time he took the field last year. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Despite what I said above, I'm looking forward to Saturday and the challenge ahead. Can't be afraid and can't wait for the season to begin. Let's go Duke!

HereBeforeCoachK
08-29-2019, 06:58 AM
This is the boat I'm in. We do have a third option with the devil logo which is arguably even worse. I do prefer the "white-blue-white" combo. I'm not sure what we could use that would really make our helmets stand out.

Don't like the Devil logo, or caricature, at all. I like the script first and the Iron D second, prefer blue helmets with white...

...on another note, I had the misfortune of hearing some of the Paul Finebaum call in radio show yesterday, driving back from Ocracoke. I didn't know he had a call in show, and I'm not sure why he does, he's clearly bored with the fans. It's all SEC fans who call him, and they do not represent that league well at all. It almost make Ovies and Adam sound intelligent. Oh, and not one mention of Duke during the time l listened.

fuse
08-29-2019, 07:15 AM
I’ll run against the grain (again) - I like the all white uniforms.
Was a little too much Indianapolis Colts for me the first time I saw the look; it’s grown on me.

I likely have questionable taste, as I also liked the grey unis with the devil head helmets.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-29-2019, 07:20 AM
Was a little too much Indianapolis Colts for me the first time I saw the look; it’s grown on me.

I likely have questionable taste, as I also liked the grey unis with the devil head helmets.

...didn't the underdog Cheats spank the Grey Uni/devils head helmet clad Devils on week night TV a few years back? It's a memory I've tried like heck to forget.

devildeac
08-29-2019, 07:30 AM

Hmm, you *probably* like this, too:

https://atgbrewery.com/beers/

(shameless)

fuse
08-29-2019, 07:34 AM
...didn't the underdog Cheats spank the Grey Uni/devils head helmet clad Devils on week night TV a few years back? It's a memory I've tried like heck to forget.

Is football “fashion” tied to outcomes??? 🤣🤣🤣

OldPhiKap
08-29-2019, 07:41 AM
Is football “fashion” tied to outcomes??? 🤣🤣🤣

Ever since the red shirts repeatedly failed to survive on Star Trek, I’ve been spooked by bad mojo uniforms.

fuse
08-29-2019, 07:43 AM
Ever since the red shirts repeatedly failed to survive on Star Trek, I’ve been spooked by bad mojo uniforms.

An interesting perspective I had not considered, and a fair point.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Is football “fashion” tied to outcomes??? ������

NAH, but it is tied to memories and impressions ...:cool:

I mean, I already hated the grey and the Devils head helmet....that game just solidified it...

PDDuke85
08-29-2019, 10:44 AM
All white with Bob’s second favorite helmet decal

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/status/1167074921006153729?s=21

richmclean
08-29-2019, 10:55 AM
No black, grey, or devil head so I’m good.

Troublemaker
08-29-2019, 10:59 AM
We’ve said “We want ‘Bama!”?? I certainly have not said that and don’t know of a DBR poster who has. I took my dad, my son, and my Uncle Joe (from Southern California) to the Alabama v. Duke football game at Wallace Wade in September of 2010. After a 62-13 blitzkrieg we sulked home much less happy than we had been five hours earlier.

Lots of people have said that or similar, and good for them. (If you really doubt it, just search for Alabama threads using the search function). "We want Bama" doesn't mean "I think we will beat them"; it just means "I'm excited to see how our program stacks up against the best."

Now, the timing is pretty cruddy as it turns out. We perhaps expected to have a senior Daniel Jones when this was scheduled, and we probably hoped to not be facing an angry, motivated program coming off a 4 TD shellacking of a loss in the national title game. This could get ugly, but "We want Bama" still stands for many, I'm sure.

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2019, 11:20 AM
RESPECT!

A prediction from MSN sports. 'Bama 35 - Duke 17 (Which is a nicer number than they give to GT against Clemson.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/college-football-week-1-preview-and-picks/ss-AAGsJ6k?li=BBnb7Kz#image=12

elvis14
08-29-2019, 11:30 AM
Lots of people have said that or similar, and good for them. (If you really doubt it, just search for Alabama threads using the search function). "We want Bama" doesn't mean "I think we will beat them"; it just means "I'm excited to see how our program stacks up against the best."

Now, the timing is pretty cruddy as it turns out. We perhaps expected to have a senior Daniel Jones when this was scheduled, and we probably hoped to not be facing an angry, motivated program coming off a 4 TD shellacking of a loss in the national title game. This could get ugly, but "We want Bama" still stands for many, I'm sure.

Come ON man. "We want XXX" always means "We are going to kick XXX's a$s"! Always has meant that, always will.

Acymetric
08-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Looks like all-whites (with Iron D helmet). The all-white look is actually better than I remembered, I don't dislike it as much as I thought I did for some reason.

wilson
08-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Put me down for "I'm mostly OK with whatever we wear as long as there's no infernal NOT A SCHOOL COLOR black on it."

Troublemaker
08-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Come ON man. "We want XXX" always means "We are going to kick XXX's a$s"! Always has meant that, always will.

This discussion seems silly. You really think Duke fans believed we were going to beat Bama? Nobody believes that except Clemson fans.

wilson
08-29-2019, 12:19 PM
When I said I wanted Bama, I just meant that I was out of jelly.

budwom
08-29-2019, 12:42 PM
CollegeFootballNews.com does a pretty good job, and they have Alabama winning 52-9, which doesn't seem crazy..and that's with their (erroneous) assumption that Mark Gilbert is playing.

fuse
08-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Per a really sweet video on twitter, Duke in all whites.

https://twitter.com/_willbritton/status/1167078543366533122?s=21

Acymetric
08-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Cut is on the David Glenn show talking the Alabama game if anyone is interested.

left_hook_lacey
08-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Link is wrong at bottom of front page article. The site is rollbamaroll.com

Rollbama.com took me to a site that looked like somebody's 8th grade technology project.

Links at top of page are correct.

Bob Green
08-29-2019, 03:03 PM
All white with Bob’s second favorite helmet decal

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/status/1167074921006153729?s=21

Thanks for posting the link. I saw this earlier today but was busy at work and couldn't respond. The all white uniform looks sharp. I prefer the Duke Script helmet but there is nothing wrong with the Iron D.

killerleft
08-29-2019, 03:45 PM

Rollbama.com took me to a site that looked like somebody's 8th grade technology project.

At least it wasn't a porn site.

Bob Green
08-29-2019, 03:50 PM
I really liked Jim's answer to the receivers question. The cupboard is not as a bare as it appears at first glance. In fact, until I am proven wrong by actual game action, my default position is this year's receivers will be more productive than the guys they replaced. Moreover, if Aaron Young stays healthy, he has All ACC potential. I've been high on Young for the past couple seasons and am expecting a breakout year.

Direct link to the Q&A: https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/8/29/20837593/alabama-football-2019-behind-enemy-lines-q-a-with-duke-basketball-report

duke79
08-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Per a really sweet video on twitter, Duke in all whites.

https://twitter.com/_willbritton/status/1167078543366533122?s=21

I don't hate the all-white uniforms.

devildeac
08-29-2019, 03:59 PM

Still gotta be better than what the cheats produced in their 23+ years of "academic" accomplishments.

Indoor66
08-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Still gotta be better than what the cheats produced in their 23+ years of "academic" accomplishments.

Hell, they didn't get to 8th grade.

Rogue
08-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Husband goes to laundry room to wash a sweatshirt, as wife “ what setting do I put washer on ? “

Wife says “ what color is it and what does it say ? “

He replies “ crimson and it says Roll Tide “

The wife yells back “ hot water and 5 cups of bleach ! “

peloton
08-29-2019, 10:30 PM
RESPECT!

A prediction from MSN sports. 'Bama 35 - Duke 17 (Which is a nicer number than they give to GT against Clemson.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/college-football-week-1-preview-and-picks/ss-AAGsJ6k?li=BBnb7Kz#image=12

I'm not sure how realistic that prediction is (who says predictions have to be realistic though?), but I certainly appreciate the increased respect the football program gets now compared to The Dark Days. I have no idea how Duke got matched up against arguably the #1 or #2 all time best college football program in this nationally televised game. Seriously, would this game (under similar circumstances...national television audience, etc.) have ever happened during The Abysmal Years? Not hardly.

While we may get our clock cleaned, I'm grateful that this team and staff (as well as we fans) have the chance to play a team of Alabama's caliber to see how we measure up. While I'm thrilled with how far we've come, more importantly I want to know how much more we need to improve to compete with "the big boys".

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the challenge (and yes, I was at the Duke/Alabama game in 2010).

Steven43
08-29-2019, 11:07 PM

Traditionally when fans say “We want so and so” it is said in a taunting, boastful, confident tone with the belief that their team has at least a pretty good chance at winning. That is not what fans usually say when their team is clearly overmatched.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Traditionally when fans say “We want so and so” it is said in a taunting, boastful, confident tone with the belief that their team has at least a pretty good chance at winning. That is not what fans usually say when their team is clearly overmatched.

You would think everyone would realize this...
Oh, and I would add one caveat to this....sometimes it's said in pure fun sarcasm (as when Campbell basketball said "we want Duke" before the 1992 pairing in the NCAA)....but it is always one or the other of these...and mostly in the trash talking sense.

Troublemaker
08-30-2019, 06:58 AM

You would think everyone would realize this...
Oh, and I would add one caveat to this...sometimes it's said in pure fun sarcasm (as when Campbell basketball said "we want Duke" before the 1992 pairing in the NCAA)...but it is always one or the other of these...and mostly in the trash talking sense.

I mean, there are always exceptions even if this "definition" is conceded. Again, many people were legitimately excited to face Alabama at the time the game was scheduled. (Others disagreed). Does anyone really need me to link the original thread and posts? It is just factually incorrect that no Duke fan wanted Bama as asserted upthread. (Also, I hate DBR still. Always with the freaking semantics :-)

HereBeforeCoachK
08-30-2019, 07:01 AM
I mean, there are always exceptions even if this "definition" is conceded. Again, many people were legitimately excited to face Alabama at the time the game was scheduled. (Others disagreed). Does anyone really need me to link the original thread and posts? It is just factually incorrect that no Duke fan wanted Bama as asserted upthread. (Also, I hate DBR still. Always with the freaking semantics :-)

Point missed...Type A versus Type B....left brain right brain. Those who chant "we want Bama" has almost nothing to do with the proportion of Duke fans who might've thought that, all things considered, the money, the exposure, the big chance, versus the possibility of being embarrassed, was still a good thing. One is sports parlance. The other is a survey question. It is pretty clear that the post about Duke fans who "wanted Bama" was referring to the former, not the latter.

Troublemaker
08-30-2019, 07:12 AM
Point missed...Type A versus Type B...left brain right brain. Those who chant "we want Bama" has almost nothing to do with the proportion of Duke fans who might've thought that, all things considered, the money, the exposure, the big chance, versus the possibility of being embarrassed, was still a good thing. One is sports parlance. The other is a survey question. It is pretty clear that the post about Duke fans who "wanted Bama" was referring to the former, not the latter.

You are wrong. (Although, again, being wrong in a stupid, silly discussion as this is almost like being right :-). Just trace the thread from the very start. Steven43's reply was to loran16, and loran16 was clearly not talking about some literal chant at Wallace Wade, lol. I don't watch all the football games like some here, but I doubt we ever broke out in this chant.

Bob Green
08-30-2019, 09:24 AM
Again, many people were legitimately excited to face Alabama at the time the game was scheduled. (Others disagreed).

I agree with Troublemaker. There was significant excitement on DBR at the time the Alabama game was scheduled. Those of us who remain excited are a small number. Tomorrow's game is a huge opportunity for Duke football to shine on the national stage.

OldPhiKap
08-30-2019, 09:29 AM
I am extremely excited about the game tomorrow. I am also fully aware of how large the challenge before us is.

Bigger challenges mean greater opportunities though.

Go out, execute Cut's plan as well as we can, let's see what happens. LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

Acymetric
08-30-2019, 09:29 AM
I agree with Troublemaker. There was significant excitement on DBR at the time the Alabama game was scheduled. Those of us who remain excited are a small number. Tomorrow's game is a huge opportunity for Duke football to shine on the national stage.

I'm fully excited. Getting to be part of the Chick-fil-a kick off on opening day on ABC against a premier opponent is a great opportunity. It is possible, maybe even likely, that we get absolutely smoked, but the value of being on the national stage regardless is huge for the program, and that value increases exponentially if we manage to make it an entertaining game or, dare I say it, to shock the world!

LGD!!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2019, 09:37 AM
We're gonna shock the world!
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifDuke 24http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifAlabama 20http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

devildeac
08-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Cut says some very nice things about Bracey and Reed:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article234473567.html

(Sorry, unable to copy/paste any quotes to tempt y'all to read more:(. @#$%, I hate the N&O :mad:.)

tteettimes
08-30-2019, 09:40 AM
Do you think Saban resigns after this game??

devildeac
08-30-2019, 09:42 AM
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifDuke 24http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifAlabama 20http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I'll have two of what Ozzie's sipping this AM.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Bill Battle did after we beat Tennessee at home way back in my day!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Reilly
08-30-2019, 09:48 AM
... Tomorrow's game is a huge opportunity for Duke football to shine ...

I am extremely excited about the game tomorrow ...

... dare I say it, to shock the world ...

I'm happy for Cut and happy for Duke. Excited, too. Think of the arc of Cut's life -- on a playing field as a kid and his little brother dies ... in high school and his dad dies ... leaving the security of a Alabama h.s. head job to go to UT as a part-time assistant ... unfairly fired from Ole Miss ... major heart surgery ... landing at woeful Duke with its fruit stand concessions ... now, entering his 12th year at Duke, with Duke football players sprinkled throughout the NFL ... with our gleaming facilities ... all his hard work and meticulous planning and execution paying off ... Cut's work ethic and positivity in the face of challenge are inspiring, and Duke and we Duke football fans get the benefit of that ... tomorrow is part of the payoff, with Cut going against his alma mater, the marquee CFB program ... we may get mauled physically and on the scoreboard but surely we will belong in terms of fitness and preparation and attention to detail (which hasn't always been the case over the years).

killerleft
08-30-2019, 12:49 PM
They lace up their helmets the same way we do... oops, wrong era.:) But make no mistake:

I want 'Bama! Go Duke!!

HereBeforeCoachK
08-30-2019, 01:41 PM

i"m not sure that's safe....

duke79
08-30-2019, 02:12 PM

LOL, well maybe NOT resign.....BUT, IF Bama were to lose to Duke on the football field, I don't think he could (or would) show his face around Tuscaloosa for a LONG time!

(and I like how you think, Ozzie!)

fuse
08-30-2019, 02:13 PM

If you are correct, I am really going to regret not wagering 100% of my net worth on this outcome.

I could retire next week. 🤣🤣🤣

DukieInKansas
08-30-2019, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure how realistic that prediction is (who says predictions have to be realistic though?), but I certainly appreciate the increased respect the football program gets now compared to The Dark Days. I have no idea how Duke got matched up against arguably the #1 or #2 all time best college football program in this nationally televised game. Seriously, would this game (under similar circumstances...national television audience, etc.) have ever happened during The Abysmal Years? Not hardly.

While we may get our clock cleaned, I'm grateful that this team and staff (as well as we fans) have the chance to play a team of Alabama's caliber to see how we measure up. While I'm thrilled with how far we've come, more importantly I want to know how much more we need to improve to compete with "the big boys".

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the challenge (and yes, I was at the Duke/Alabama game in 2010).

There were some bright spots in that 2010 game - We were the first team to score a touchdown against them that year. Plus, we scored more points against them than #18 Penn State, #7 Florida, #17 Miss State, and #7 Michigan State. (Rankings per 2010 Alabama football page in Wikipedia).

TruBlu
08-30-2019, 05:43 PM
There were some bright spots in that 2010 game - We were the first team to score a touchdown against them that year. Plus, we scored more points against them than #18 Penn State, #7 Florida, #17 Miss State, and #7 Michigan State. (Rankings per 2010 Alabama football page in Wikipedia).

Yes, there were a few bright spots.

But, we had a huge home field advantage. 😜

devildeac
08-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Yes, there were a few bright spots.

But, we had a huge home field advantage. 😜

Indeed we did-in zip code number/location only :(.

OldPhiKap
08-30-2019, 06:55 PM
So ... where is the party in The ATL tonight?

Dragoncon going on here too, so my hotel is — interesting. Oh, Atlanta...

peloton
08-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Indeed we did-in zip code number/location only :(.

I've never seen so much crimson (and so many RVs) in one place in my life.

peloton
08-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Oh, Atlanta...

Little Feat fan, huh? :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
08-30-2019, 08:58 PM
Little Feat fan, huh? :rolleyes:

It is criminal that they, and Zevon, are not in the RnR HOF.

richmclean
08-30-2019, 10:09 PM

First degree criminal.

-jk
08-30-2019, 10:09 PM

I think you want the Ymmm, Bourbon thread.

That other one...

-jk

fidel
08-30-2019, 10:28 PM

Just an excitable boy...

Reilly
08-31-2019, 12:03 AM
Party like it's 1945.

Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

chrishoke
08-31-2019, 07:25 AM
Go Devils! Play angry and smart. And win.

OldPhiKap
08-31-2019, 07:50 AM

Hope whoever wins the game wins the National Championship! Roll Duke!

(oh, and apparently I’m upside-down)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Game day! Let's shock the world!

peloton
08-31-2019, 10:50 AM
Game day! Let's shock the world!

You got it! Let's channel the Lehigh Mountain Hawks today! (Too soon? Yeah, I thought maybe it was :p)

Let's go Duke!

House G
08-31-2019, 11:47 AM
I’m getting fired up for Bama but I momentarily lost my focus this morning:

left_hook_lacey
08-31-2019, 12:42 PM
I’m getting fired up for Bama but I momentarily lost my focus this morning:

That is next level and deserves a mention in the Mt. Hatemoore thread.

4Gen
08-31-2019, 01:19 PM

When I was a little boy, our neighbor, in our Duke loving yard, planted a large rye grass "State". Came in slowly and lasted the whole winter.

Avvocato
08-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Hope everyone in Atlanta has a good time. Let’s hold on to the ball, establish some form of running game, let’s bend but don’t break on defense, try to hang around and see what happens. With that said, no expectations for today but looking forward to it. Great opportunity for the team. Let’s give it our best shot. Let’s go Duke!

budwom
08-31-2019, 02:36 PM
When I was a little boy, our neighbor, in our Duke loving yard, planted a large rye grass "State". Came in slowly and lasted the whole winter.

Did you poison his best trees? :)

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:10 PM

A very honorable mention :D.

OldPhiKap
08-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Let’s GO!!!!!!!

JasonEvans
08-31-2019, 03:27 PM
View from the press box... The Alabama band is just a little bit bigger than the Duke band.

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:31 PM
Close so far...

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:33 PM
Where's the chat room: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

;)

killerleft
08-31-2019, 03:36 PM
Go Duke!

JasonEvans
08-31-2019, 03:36 PM
We won the toss. That’s the ball game, right? Nice win boys!

dudog84
08-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Espn has Alabama win % at 95.4, 1:30 into the game. Does that go up or down as the game is played?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401110720

YmoBeThere
08-31-2019, 03:42 PM
Where's the chat room: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

;)

Yes, I was expecting that other one to be open.

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:44 PM
I *think* we're out-gaining them:rolleyes::eek:.

YmoBeThere
08-31-2019, 03:47 PM
Yes, a TO!

JasonEvans
08-31-2019, 03:47 PM
Espn has Alabama win % at 95.4, 1:30 into the game. Does that go up or down as the game is played?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401110720

Going DOWN!

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:48 PM
leading the TO battle too!!

HereBeforeCoachK
08-31-2019, 03:51 PM
Bobo catches that one

devildeac
sooo close

YmoBeThere
Didn't get it :(

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:52 PM
lousy call

Wander
08-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Bad call on 4th down. Big missed opportunity...

AGDukesky
08-31-2019, 03:53 PM
Better start than FAU had against Ohio State

jipops
08-31-2019, 03:54 PM

Very bad call. Better to have points on the board. Instead may have killed momentum.

JNort
08-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Very bad call. Better to have points on the board. Instead could have killed momentum.

FGs aren't gomna beat Bama though. I liked the call to go for it but not running up the middle.

jipops
08-31-2019, 03:56 PM
FGs aren't gomna beat Bama though. I liked the call to go for it but not running up the middle.

0 pts aren’t either

devildeac
08-31-2019, 03:56 PM
Very bad call. Better to have points on the board. Instead may have killed momentum.

Yea, gotta do something outside or option.

BLPOG
08-31-2019, 03:58 PM
It's awfully lonely in the chat (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox).

devildeac
08-31-2019, 04:00 PM
It's awfully lonely in the chat (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox).

Musta just opened.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-31-2019, 04:00 PM
lousy call

inexcusable....predictable.

YmoBeThere
08-31-2019, 04:01 PM
Can we do it?

JNort
08-31-2019, 04:10 PM
0 pts aren’t either

That should be obvious... Fortunately that isn't the comparison being made and thus is irrelevant.

cato
08-31-2019, 04:12 PM
We got em right where we want em! Just three short quarters to go.

Native
08-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Can we do it?

Yes we can!

I LOVE the effort we’re getting out of our DL right now. Getting really good pressure on Tua.

YmoBeThere
08-31-2019, 04:14 PM
Can we do it?

0-0 after one...

fuse
08-31-2019, 04:14 PM
Well, I owe the team an apology.

Gritty first quarter. Let’s Go Duke!!!

killerleft
08-31-2019, 04:15 PM
Not bad! In fact, very good!

jipops
08-31-2019, 04:36 PM
Bama QB getting more time now. And they are taking advantage of their speed.

dukelifer
08-31-2019, 04:38 PM
Getting tough now. The rust is off Alabama’s offense and Duke’s O is not staying out there long enough to give the D enough rest.

AtlDuke72
08-31-2019, 04:40 PM
inexcusable...predictable.

“Inexcusable “. Really? Fire the coach? Hindsight is perfect.

jipops
08-31-2019, 04:43 PM
Any chance we throw the ball today?

brlftz
08-31-2019, 04:45 PM

Well now, let’s not get CRAZY here

Sixthman
08-31-2019, 04:45 PM

At least any weakness we might have at wide receiver has not been exposed.

Devilwin
08-31-2019, 04:48 PM

Amen..HUGE BAD CALL. I cannot believe it. Offense looks awful, defense cannot cover them. But it gets easier thank God.

jipops
08-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Nice! Now get it to the 15 on 4th down and go for it! (I’ll let it go by the 4th quarter I swear...maybe)

fuse
08-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the game, Scott Bracey!!!!

Let’s go Duke!!!!!

jipops
08-31-2019, 04:59 PM
Nice! Now get it to the 15 on 4th down and go for it! (I’ll let it go by the 4th quarter I swear...maybe)

Should be 14-6 right now. Just sayin...

dukelifer
08-31-2019, 05:00 PM
The D is pretty stout. The O - not so sure.

CameronBlue
08-31-2019, 05:02 PM
The D is pretty stout. The O - not so sure.

I dunno the o-line looks better than last year.

Papa John
08-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Getting tough now. The rust is off Alabama’s offense and Duke’s O is not staying out there long enough to give the D enough rest.

Agree... We need to move the ball like we did on that last drive, otherwise the fourth quarter could get ugly, as our D will be tremendously winded... Aside from that, generally respectable performance in the first half, all things considered. We had some guys that were a bit sloppy with their assignments on D and, of course, we were victimized a few times by talent mismatches, but we accorded ourselves pretty well all told, I thought.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-31-2019, 05:21 PM
No shame so far. We score first possession, we keep it interesting for another quarter.

AtlDuke72
08-31-2019, 05:38 PM
Should be 14-6 right now. Just sayin...

Why say it?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-31-2019, 05:39 PM
You can't disparage this team right now. No one would have said we hang this close so far. Proud of our boys. Great coaching so far.

fuse
08-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Wheels appear to be coming off the bus.

Hope Brown and Gray are ok.

Didn’t get to see what Cerenord did to get ejected.
I hope it wasn’t that foot tap, although I also hope it wasn’t something worse.

I figured Alabama would have 21 in the first quarter.
Regardless of final score, the team played largely respectably.

jwillfan
08-31-2019, 05:49 PM
This is much longer than I thought I'd be watching! Still a lot of ball to go.

luvdahops
08-31-2019, 06:01 PM
Defense definitely getting tired - missed tackles starting to pile up. Still not giving up gash plays though, which is very impressive against this offense in my view.

luvdahops
08-31-2019, 06:02 PM
Defense definitely getting tired - missed tackles starting to pile up. Still not giving up gash plays though, which is very impressive against this offense in my view.

May have spoken too soon...

Devilwin
08-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Secondary cannot cover or tackle..Really bad sign for the season.

luvdahops
08-31-2019, 06:11 PM
Secondary cannot cover or tackle..Really bad sign for the season.

Not their best day, to be sure. But we’re not going to play another team with anywhere near the skill position talent - WR, RB and especially QB - that Bama has.

fuse
08-31-2019, 06:12 PM
Anyone else think it will be hard to sort out this team’s potential until after the VT game?

Defense looks pretty reasonable considering the opponent.
Similarly, its hard to assess our offensive woes.

Harris seems a lot more comfortable with the long ball.

Sixthman
08-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Not their best day, to be sure. But we’re not going to play another team with anywhere near the skill position talent - WR, RB and especially QB - that Bama has.

Yes. Not so much missed tackles, as guys running away from our defenders even when we have the angle.

Devilwin
08-31-2019, 06:17 PM
Anyone else think it will be hard to sort out this team’s potential until after the VT game?

We will, see..

HereBeforeCoachK
08-31-2019, 06:18 PM

He always has....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-31-2019, 06:23 PM
It has descended into what we expected

YmoBeThere
08-31-2019, 06:31 PM

Health, like last year, will be a big factor. Our starters are pretty good but once we go into the depth chart the talent differences become evident.

luvdahops
08-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Play calling has been very conservative and unimaginative. Won’t change the outcome, but it couldn’t hurt to open things up a bit at this point.

SavDukeGrad
08-31-2019, 06:44 PM
Can anyone give an update on our injuries in this game? So far, have we lost Gray, Brown, and Tangelo? Anyone else? Waters? Have any of them come back?

I realize only the Bama injuries matter to the announcers.

devildeac
08-31-2019, 06:46 PM
Can anyone give an update on our injuries in this game? So far, have we lost Gray, Brown, and Tangelo? Anyone else? Waters? Have any of them come back?

Gray still playing, I think. Don't know about the others.

fuse
08-31-2019, 06:47 PM

Gray just caught a pass for first down, and Brown ran a few yards the play before and got hammered by at least three defenders.

Good news they are still playing, it seems.

devildeac
08-31-2019, 06:50 PM
Why did Young run behind the DB and make no attempt to catch that ball?

rtnorthrup
08-31-2019, 06:57 PM
Why did Young run behind the DB and make no attempt to catch that ball?

Let's just celebrate the fact that he made it through a whole game without getting injured.

Wander
08-31-2019, 06:57 PM

IMO we should be competitive with VT. Honestly, the entire ACC Coastal seems bad enough overall that we might be able to compete for the title with our defense. But like you say, hard to assess the offense right now.

Devilwin
08-31-2019, 07:01 PM
A game like this is hard to judge. So great a divide between the teams in talent. But we did not do a lot of the simple things well, like covering receivers, and tackling. Also as much as I love Cut, the coaching in this game seemed lackluster, in particular the play calling. It gets easier for sure, but we have a lot to work on, or we can forget another bowl game this season. Harris had a deer in headlights look for most of the game. And why did we go away from the pass???:confused:

Bob Green
08-31-2019, 07:32 PM
I am not excited we did not score a TD but I was impressed with the overall effort.

devildeac
08-31-2019, 08:10 PM
With all the Alabama suspensions, I’ll revise my scoring prediction from 63-7 to 42-7. 🤪

I did notice a video this week of Saban defending punishment and moving on instead of dismissals that mentioned Muhsin Muhammad and his time at Michigan State before starring with the Panthers.

Let’s Go Duke!

Anyone get closer than this?

If not, give this young fellow a Ymm, Beer. :D

rsvman
08-31-2019, 08:12 PM
I thought that in the third quarter, and maybe even in the middle of the second quarter, that it would've made a lot more sense to let the clock run down on offense before every play, if for no other reason than to give the defensive players a chance to rest and to keep the Alabama offense of the field for a long as possible.
A quick three and out is virtually no rest at all. I don't understand why coaches don't take advantage of the clock more when they are in overmatched situations.

I liked the defense pretty well before they got completely winded, though. The offense, on the other hand, looked pretty rough.

peloton
08-31-2019, 08:46 PM
I am not excited we did not score a TD but I was impressed with the overall effort.

Yes, I was hoping for at least one touchdown. However, the combination of an Alabama defense and an offense that isn't running on all cylinders yet (hopefully), made that pretty unlikely. I was impressed by our defense at times before they were gassed. Also, we made a field goal - that's cause for celebration (admittedly it shouldn't be).

johnb
08-31-2019, 09:07 PM
The end of the game was thrilling only to people who had a vested interest in whether Bama would win by less or more than 32.5. Their last td was a killer.

I remember watching a 1999 Duke b-ball game in Vegas. There was a big crowd at the casino, and nobody was wearing a Duke shirt except me. I’d have always watched the end, regardless, if only to see the bench, but this crowd was quite serious and had a very strong reaction to K using subs for most of the 2nd half as the lead shrunk from 40ish to just under the spread, and then we hit a couple shots, and I won $50. My next gambling bet was last year’s Army football game, when I was again in Vegas. I won again, I have to keep my eyes open for who we’re playing I’m 2039.

Anyway, I thought we looked somewhere between okay and good against Alabama. The DB’s missed some tackles as the game went on, but their qb and wide receivers are arguably the best in the country, with 5 future pros. They were getting crisp, accurate throws so quickly that our tiring line had no chance to create hurries. Unless we win the Coastal, play Clemson, and then Oklahoma, we won’t be seeing a comparable passing attack.

Maybe Cerenord was going for a Laettner stomp, but we could have used him for the last 25 minutes of the game. Btw, I don’t think it would have been possible for him to stomp more lightly. I get the rationale, but these guys spend an hour trying to legally rip off each others’ limbs, smash skulls and break bones, and then they get tossed for a symbolic gesture. And then we don’t even get to see the whole fight.

It’s strange to watch announcers talk at such length about the other team. In basketball, when we’re playing an unranked team early in the season, the announcers talk much more about Duke, partly because they know us and don’t know the other team, but also because they know their network will be showing lots more Duke games and will want to hook viewers as much as possible.

I hadn’t considered Cut’s reaction to Kirk Herbstreit’s multi-month diss of Daniel Jones, but when the ABC guys mentioned they’d had trouble getting into the Duke practices, it occurred to me that loyalty is one of Cut’s core credos—no way is he going to be immediately friendly with Herbstreit, who may have been doing his job, saying what he thought, and being slightly victimized by the necessity of the sound bite and simplistic dualism (Kiper v. Herbstreit), but, in so doing, he was making life more difficult for Cut’s guy, which is not going to go over well. Jones also happens to be his best NFL prospect since Eli, but I tend to think Cut is the kind of guy who’d quietly have the back of any of his players.

It did seem telling that Herbstreit went out of his way to praise Quentin Harris, not for being a particularly good football player (he was still kinda dismissive of all of our players), but he did say Quentin’s time at Fuqua would yield some great job offers. It wasn’t a Vitale rant about our lofty SAT’s, but it did imply that Duke’s players have futures outside of football. Broadcasts rarely mention academics or graduation rates, but they could. Clemson and Alabama graduate about 85% of their football recruits, which—even given the tutoring, etc—strikes me as an impressive number for a group of guys who may not have had terrific pre-college academic preparation. And those rates are higher than the rates for all students at those two schools.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/04/study-graduation-rate-for-bowl-bound-football-players-is-up/108298402/

It did occur to me that Herbstreit, himself, sounded sheepish and might be sensitive to criticism— he could be wrong in his assessment of Jones, which is rough if you’re supposed to be an expert. Plus, he has bet some percentage of his reputation on a guy who’s in the most visible position in the media capital, and who had a great preseason. And in going up against Cutcliffe, Herbstreit chose to indirectly attack one of the more popular guys in college football.

Anyway, I gave this game a thumbs up, and, assuming they haven’t announced injuries while I’ve droned on, this seems like a fairly good day for the team.

-jk
08-31-2019, 09:16 PM
Injuries - anyone see anything?

-jk

devildeac
08-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Injuries - anyone see anything?

-jk

I know we talked about Gray and Brown (players, not uniform colors:p) and I saw Gray catch a first down pass late in the 4th, IIRC, and I think fuse mentioned he saw Brown with a carry late in Q4, too. I can't recall the third player we mentioned in chat or the in-game thread. Fingers crossed.

tteettimes
08-31-2019, 09:39 PM
What street does Herb live on???......anyone??

luvdahops
08-31-2019, 09:43 PM
What street does Herb live on???...anyone??

I believe it was Todd McShay - not Herbstreit - who made the comments on Jones and was part of the announcing team for the game today

fuse
08-31-2019, 10:43 PM
Anyone get closer than this?

If not, give this young fellow a Ymm, Beer. :D

Wish I had been wrong; I thought the team played better than the score.

Bob Green
09-01-2019, 07:37 AM
https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/31/20841828/alabama-42-duke-3-chick-fil-a-kick-off-game

Jim Sumner on the game. I am on my phone so I’ll refrain from trying to cut and paste a sentence or two.

budwom
09-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Run defense was solid, running game showed promise...unfortunately, given Bama's outstanding defensive backs, there was no way to assess (yet, IMO) how Harris and our wide receivers will fare from here on out...that will be interesting to watch over the next few weeks...

Bob Green
09-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Run defense was solid, running game showed promise...unfortunately, given Bama's outstanding defensive backs, there was no way to assess (yet, IMO) how Harris and our wide receivers will fare from here on out...that will be interesting to watch over the next few weeks...

I agree with your observations and would add the pass rush. Tua got away a couple of times when the average QB would have been sacked.

rtnorthrup
09-01-2019, 09:35 AM
I was firmly in the camp that Duke should not be playing Alabama in football. What we watched last night was the gulf in talent between an team of Parade All-American 5* recruits with NFL futures and a well coached team of high 3* and some 4* players. Football, more than any other sport is so heavily reliant on physical attributes and that was on full display last night. I actually thought Duke played almost to its ceiling in the game and certainly did not embarrass the program, despite the score. Here are my thoughts:

1. Lots and lots of positives. Shaka Heyward looked great. I was surprised to see him get the start over Brandon Hill, but now I can see why. There were a few plays he was a step slower than Alabama players, but that wont be the case against any other teams on our schedule. He has natural instincts for the game and seemed like he was always in the right place.

2. Was yesterday the awakening for Scott Bracey? If he can build on this performance over the next couple of weeks, we will be very good at WR this year.

3. Thought our secondary was actually pretty good. Jeudy is a top 5 pick in the NFL draft next season. He is elite. Ruggs and Waddle are not far behind. That said, we kept them in front of us most of the game and did not give up any plays over the top. There were some missed tackles, but again, that goes down to the speed and skill of Alabama. We wont see that again this season. Didn't see any blown coverages or missed assignments. Blackwell looks good as did Johnson. Think we are ok here. Singletary and Carter were all over the field.

4. DL is the best I have seen in 25 years at Duke. I wish they would have shown the entire replay of the Cerenord incident. His Laettner stomp wasn't smart, but both players already had their helmets off and I would really like to have seen what led up to the personal foul. I assume he will miss the NCAT game, or does that rule only apply to targeting? We are deep, young, and talented in this group. Our defense will keep us in most ACC games this season.

5. Imagine if we had Joe Giles-Harris and Mark Gilbert on this defense.

6. I'm not going to be too harsh on Quentin. I will say it looked like Alabama got in his head and sped him up. . . A LOT. NCAT should be a confidence game for him and then Midd. Tenn. will be a good barometer for where he is going into ACC play. The running lanes will get bigger, his receivers will get more separation, and he will have more time to throw against all teams not named Alabama.

7. Glad to see Brown came back in the game. Jackson, Brown and Durant all looked explosive. I liked the option look, and think we will use it from time to time this season. I liked the Jackson in the slot, and the two RB backfield. It is clear that Cut and staff have been putting in new wrinkles to fit this team.

I still think we should have scheduled a more winnable non-conference game for the opener this season, but weirdly I feel more confident about us getting to six wins after watching us last night. Our defense is good, maybe even a little better than last seasons. The offense will catch up, and we get Bobo back in 2 weeks. We came out of that game fairly healthy and I think Cut will have a lot of good teaching to do this week.

Atldukie79
09-01-2019, 10:53 AM
I had the pleasure to observe this game from the Mercedes Benz stadium. My trio of blue clad fans was engulfed by a sea of Bama Crimson. On the whole, they were a well mannered crowd, obviously not threatened by Duke. But I had to chuckle at two points in the game:

1) The Duke band marched onto the field in pre-game spelling "DUMB" their their beloved acronym for themselves. The fans around me were mightily confused. I enlightened them as to the meaning. It was a rare humorous moment on the day.

2) A very nice young couple next to us struck up a conversation. They were covered in head to toe in Bama gear. They were excited to be in Atlanta for the game. Noticing our Duke gear, one of them said to us, "So is Duke here in Atlanta"? When told no, they were puzzled why we were playing each other. I told them I was puzzled why we were playing them period.

Wander
09-01-2019, 11:02 AM
I was firmly in the camp that Duke should not be playing Alabama in football. What we watched last night was the gulf in talent between an team of Parade All-American 5* recruits with NFL futures and a well coached team of high 3* and some 4* players. Football, more than any other sport is so heavily reliant on physical attributes and that was on full display last night. I actually thought Duke played almost to its ceiling in the game and certainly did not embarrass the program, despite the score. Here are my thoughts:

1. Lots and lots of positives. Shaka Heyward looked great. I was surprised to see him get the start over Brandon Hill, but now I can see why. There were a few plays he was a step slower than Alabama players, but that wont be the case against any other teams on our schedule. He has natural instincts for the game and seemed like he was always in the right place.

2. Was yesterday the awakening for Scott Bracey? If he can build on this performance over the next couple of weeks, we will be very good at WR this year.

3. Thought our secondary was actually pretty good. Jeudy is a top 5 pick in the NFL draft next season. He is elite. Ruggs and Waddle are not far behind. That said, we kept them in front of us most of the game and did not give up any plays over the top. There were some missed tackles, but again, that goes down to the speed and skill of Alabama. We wont see that again this season. Didn't see any blown coverages or missed assignments. Blackwell looks good as did Johnson. Think we are ok here. Singletary and Carter were all over the field.

4. DL is the best I have seen in 25 years at Duke. I wish they would have shown the entire replay of the Cerenord incident. His Laettner stomp wasn't smart, but both players already had their helmets off and I would really like to have seen what led up to the personal foul. I assume he will miss the NCAT game, or does that rule only apply to targeting? We are deep, young, and talented in this group. Our defense will keep us in most ACC games this season.

5. Imagine if we had Joe Giles-Harris and Mark Gilbert on this defense.

6. I'm not going to be too harsh on Quentin. I will say it looked like Alabama got in his head and sped him up. . . A LOT. NCAT should be a confidence game for him and then Midd. Tenn. will be a good barometer for where he is going into ACC play. The running lanes will get bigger, his receivers will get more separation, and he will have more time to throw against all teams not named Alabama.

7. Glad to see Brown came back in the game. Jackson, Brown and Durant all looked explosive. I liked the option look, and think we will use it from time to time this season. I liked the Jackson in the slot, and the two RB backfield. It is clear that Cut and staff have been putting in new wrinkles to fit this team.

I still think we should have scheduled a more winnable non-conference game for the opener this season, but weirdly I feel more confident about us getting to six wins after watching us last night. Our defense is good, maybe even a little better than last seasons. The offense will catch up, and we get Bobo back in 2 weeks. We came out of that game fairly healthy and I think Cut will have a lot of good teaching to do this week.

Agree with all this.

Including the "why are we playing Alabama" part. It's a different sport than basketball, where there's little disadvantage to playing a top team no matter who you are. But in a sport that strongly incentivizes getting to 6 wins no matter your schedule strength, where schedule strength doesn't matter at all unless you're a serious national title contender, and injuries are easier to come by, it makes no sense.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Agree with all this.

Including the "why are we playing Alabama" part. It's a different sport than basketball, where there's little disadvantage to playing a top team no matter who you are. But in a sport that strongly incentivizes getting to 6 wins no matter your schedule strength, where schedule strength doesn't matter at all unless you're a serious national title contender, and injuries are easier to come by, it makes no sense.

I too agree with that......football and basketball are just so totally different in several regards....including the physicality and the potential for injury. FSU has still not recovered from getting rocked and beat up by Bama a couple years ago. Set their program back. (it wasn't the only thing but it was a factor).

As for Deon Jackson, I thought he looked slow....compared to what I thought he would look like. I thought Brown looked really good.

Bob Green
09-01-2019, 12:12 PM
As for Deon Jackson, I thought he looked slow...compared to what I thought he would look like. I thought Brown looked really good.

A possible explanation is Alabama keyed on Jackson, which is a standard tactic, takeaway your opponent’s best player.

Brown did look good. Folks don’t remember how good he was as a freshman after the injury filled sophomore season. Brown, Jackson and company (The Stable) are going to be a big factor this season.