PDA

View Full Version : Fla St/Clemson: Theoretical Question

drion97
03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Having not seen the game today, I'm not sure if Clemson got hosed or not. But it did make me think of an interesting question that came up in College Football earlier this season with the Oklahoma/Oregon botched call game.

Basically, if the committee wanted to take the winner of Fla St/Clemson to the tourny, and lets say Clemson CLEARLY gets hosed. No question, a bad call changes the outcome of the game. Would the committee ever take the loser of that game because had things been called properly they would've been the winner? I doubt this would ever happen, but how gutsy would it be?! Maybe not a foul call, but an obvious blown call in the last 5 seconds...

Note that neither this situation nor the Duke/Clemson game earlier this year would qualify-- as a tie game isn't the same at all. (Speaking of that Duke game, ESPN guys always refer back to the clock incident like Clemson had the win, no problem, until it was stolen away. The BEST Clemson could do was get overtime in that situation in Cameron. Hardly a sure thing)

phaedrus
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
a basic rule is you can't overrule any call after which play has transpired. i.e., if there's a foul called with 2.3 seconds left, shots are made, and then time expires, you can't overturn it. potentially, though, if a foul is called at the buzzer and game-winning foul shots are made with 0 on the clock, maybe that call could be reversed.

in the nba, a game's outcome has been reversed when it was determined later on that the game-winning shot had occurred after (or before, can't recall) the buzzer.

drion97
03-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Right, but I'm not saying that the refs or the NCAA would overturn any kind of call. What I'm saying is that the committee would say, "Florida State technically won, but in our proceedings we're going to act like Clemson won, because that's what we consider to be the 'real' outcome".