PDA

View Full Version : Duke football 2019

Pages : [1] 2

jimsumner
08-02-2019, 11:27 AM
First day of fall practice today, so time to move on from off-season. It is no longer off-season.

I'll have more on opening day after I take care of a few things. Later today.

But the biggest news was not good news. Mark Gilbert had more surgery. Same with running back Marvin Hubbard. Cutcliffe described both as "cleaning up" after major surgeries but said he could not offer a return date for either.

More later.

chrishoke
08-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Horrible news re Gilbert - big blow to our secondary. Speedy recovery Mark. You have to wonder if he'll ever play again for the Devils.

budwom
08-02-2019, 12:16 PM
First day of fall practice today, so time to move on from off-season. It is no longer off-season.

But the biggest news was not good news. Mark Gilbert had more surgery. Same with running back Marvin Hubbard. Cutcliffe described both as "cleaning up" after major surgeries but said he could not offer a return date for either.

More later.

that's maybe not awful, but not good either...as for offering a return date, if he had one he wouldn't tell anyone anyway.

Bob Green
08-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Anxiously awaiting. Your football notes are pure gold.

OldPhiKap
08-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Anyone know when the Alabama tickets are going out?

Getting excited!

chrishoke
08-02-2019, 03:49 PM
GoDuke article on the first day of practice.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211808231&DB_OEM_ID=4200

OZZIE4DUKE
08-02-2019, 04:51 PM
GoDuke article on the first day of practice.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211808231&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Money quote from Quentin Harris:

Redshirt senior Quentin Harris (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=210182490&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

“We are confident in our body of work,” commented Harris. “We know the kind of work that we have put in through the offseason and now moving into camp. We are confident in ourselves and our abilities. We are going to take it week by week. We do expect to win. You never expect to lose. We always talk about championships around here. Our goal is to get to an ACC Championship first and then hopefully get into the College Football Playoff as well. We have established a winning culture in my time here. We expect to make it to bowl games each year.”

We all saw he had a nice touch on the long balls last season when he subbed for Daniel. Having heard the interviews he gave over the last month or so, I'm excited to see him lead our team this season. We're going to shock the world in Atlanta! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CameronBlue
08-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Getting excited!

Keep the stubs. They will become collector's items. Just sayin.

Bob Green
08-03-2019, 08:13 AM
I'll have more on opening day after I take care of a few things.

I'm unsure how much question and answer access you will have to Coach Cutcliffe this month but any information on the offensive line in general and left tackle specifically would be appreciated. An updated health status on Jaylen Miller and development progress of true freshman Jacob Monk would be interesting information. Same for Patrick Leitten, Casey Holman and Jacob Rimmer.

Improved performance by the offensive line will be critical this season.

jimsumner
08-03-2019, 03:47 PM
I'm unsure how much question and answer access you will have to Coach Cutcliffe this month but any information on the offensive line in general and left tackle specifically would be appreciated. An updated health status on Jaylen Miller and development progress of true freshman Jacob Monk would be interesting information. Same for Patrick Leitten, Casey Holman and Jacob Rimmer.

Improved performance by the offensive line will be critical this season.

Miller was healthy at the end of last spring. Monk is still at right tackle and is competing with Kraeling for a starting spot. Holman is in the mix. Rimmer is close to 100 percent, Leitten is not. Wohlabaugh, Santos and Chambers still the interior starters.

Pghdukie
08-04-2019, 06:13 PM
To Bob Green and Jim - I have enjoyed your reports and opinions on Duke Football for years. I will continue to read as this season approaches. Thank You for your viewpoints and insite. May all of our good wishes turn into Touchdowns !

AustinDevil
08-04-2019, 08:12 PM
To Bob Green and Jim - I have enjoyed your reports and opinions on Duke Football for years. I will continue to read as this season approaches. Thank You for your viewpoints and insite. May all of our good wishes turn into Touchdowns !

Ditto!!

OldPhiKap
08-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Trippo!!

CameronBlue
08-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Where can I find a current roster of the 2-deep? I found this but it's dated 5/29/19

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/duke/90406

budwom
08-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Where can I find a current roster of the 2-deep? I found this but it's dated 5/29/19

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/duke/90406

The Devils Den Premium had a look, but they said it was mostly based on the post Spring practice view of things. Cut doesn't dispense info too lavishly, so I wouldn't be surprised to see little before the Bama game.

chrishoke
08-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Position Preview - Running Backs

https://247sports.com/college/duke/LongFormArticle/duke-blue-devils-football-running-backs-preview-134181106/#134181106_3

fuse
08-05-2019, 03:13 PM
My hopes for the season are for everyone to be healthy after the Alabama game, and 6 wins for bowl eligibility.

After that, its all upside.

budwom
08-05-2019, 03:44 PM
My hopes for the season are for everyone to be healthy after the Alabama game, and 6 wins for bowl eligibility.

Yes, six wins would be a very good (and for me unexpected) accomplishment.

Bob Green
08-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Position Preview - Running Backs

Arguably our most talented position. If Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown stay healthy, I expect both to be very productive this season. The delayed return of Marvin Hubbard could open the door for true freshman Jaylen Coleman to earn some carries especially considering the changed redshirt rules.

HereBeforeCoachK
08-05-2019, 04:41 PM

Dittos......^^

arnie
08-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Yes, six wins would be a very good (and for me unexpected) accomplishment.

I’m more optimistic. Except for Bama and ND, not a believer in the other teams. I expect our D and running game to be strong and reasonably expect 7 wins (5-3 in ACC).

peloton
08-05-2019, 06:35 PM
I’m more optimistic. Except for Bama and ND, not a believer in the other teams. I expect our D and running game to be strong and reasonably expect 7 wins (5-3 in ACC).

I'm (kind of) with you there, so yeah...pour me a frosty glass of that optimisim also. It's not real hoppy though is it?

Seriously though, I'm always (and have always been) overly optimistic about Duke football - this season will be no different. I have a sneaking suspicion we might be better than advertised though. I also think Mr. Bobo will continue to impress, but I want to see someone else challenge him in regard to effectiveness.

CameronBlue
08-05-2019, 07:08 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion we might be better than advertised though. I also think Mr. Bobo will continue to impress, but I want to see someone else challenge him in regard to effectiveness.

With you there. My only regret is that Clemson is not on the schedule. Love to have the opportunity to beat both participants from last year's NC game. When the first BCS rankings come out I really hope the voters don't hold a scheduling quirk against us.

jimsumner
08-05-2019, 07:35 PM
With you there. My only regret is that Clemson is not on the schedule. Love to have the opportunity to beat both participants from last year's NC game. When the first BCS rankings come out I really hope the voters don't hold a scheduling quirk against us.

I'm okay with Clemson not being on the schedule.

OldPhiKap
08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Arguably our most talented position. If Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown stay healthy, I expect both to be very productive this season. The delayed return of Marvin Hubbard could open the door for true freshman Jaylen Coleman to earn some carries especially considering the changed redshirt rules.

Just think how many bubble screens they can catch!

{ducks}

budwom
08-06-2019, 07:06 AM

We only won, what, three conference games last year, and this year we have a new QB and all new receivers (which could be, in some respects, good). UVA and VT beat us pretty handily, Wake humiliated us...unc couldn't be worse than they were last year...Syracuse is clearly on the rise. Seriously, if we win five ACC games this year, Cut deserves a major parade...

duke2x
08-06-2019, 10:24 AM
We only won, what, three conference games last year, and this year we have a new QB and all new receivers (which could be, in some respects, good). UVA and VT beat us pretty handily, Wake humiliated us...unc couldn't be worse than they were last year...Syracuse is clearly on the rise. Seriously, if we win five ACC games this year, Cut deserves a major parade...

That is the fun of the non-Clemson ACC. Just about every game not involving Clemson is a tossup, and this year is no different with the possible exception of GT and Louisville. I would break it down this way:

60%. GT. There's major retooling ahead back to a normal team. I think Duke scores 35-40 here.

50% +/-. UNC is the same analysis as GT but on the road. Wake will finish 2nd in the Atlantic but is no more talented. Like UNC 2016, we should expect a game down to the wire if we are anywhere near healthy and play with a solid effort. Syracuse overachieved by 3-4 games last year, lost its QB and other personnel, and the schedule flips. Syracuse is locked between ND and @Wake, which does scream letdown like Wake 2018, UNC 2015, Richmond, etc.

40-45%. UVA and Pitt. We've played poorly against them since their coaching changes, but neither team is insurmountable. Both will be improved and physical. Jones v. UVA might have been like Ross Martin v. VT.

20-40%. VT. They didn't get the Clemson RB transfer, and it's the toughest road game we have on a regular basis. Their defense should be improved in Foster's last season. :D Miami is another empty stadium against a more talented team. They will be motivated this year even at 0-7 in the ACC, but I ultimately don't think Diaz fixes the problem that Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt could not.

That analysis puts us at 3+ wins, which I would round down this season. 0-8 is very possible with multiple or key injuries, and 6-2 (2-2 at home) with a Coastal championship is a possible ceiling with momentum and some favorable bounces.

chrishoke
08-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Coach Cut and Tre Hornbuckle talk about our first practice in pads - good stuff here.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article233548117.html

I believe that's the first time I've heard Tre extensively in an interview. I am consistently impressed with our student athletes.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-06-2019, 06:49 PM
I'm okay with Clemson not being on the schedule.
Don’t worry. We’ll play them in the Conference championship game! LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
08-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Coach Cutcliffe discusses wide receiver Jake Bobo:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158881233503490050

chrishoke
08-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Coach Cutcliffe discusses wide receiver Jake Bobo:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158881233503490050

Tx. Bob. High praise from the boss.

Reilly
08-06-2019, 08:35 PM
... 6-2 (2-2 at home) with a Coastal championship is a possible ceiling ...

As I understand it, we have Charlie Ham and are going 9-3 overall ...

CameronBlue
08-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Don’t worry. We’ll play them in the Conference championship game! LGD GTHc!

Assuming they get there.

duke2x
08-06-2019, 10:54 PM

I received my tickets today, but I'm not sure Duke will know where to deliver them if your location is undisclosed. At least Duke knew to deliver mine to Earth. ;)

OldPhiKap
08-07-2019, 06:25 AM
I received my tickets today, but I'm not sure Duke will know where to deliver them if your location is undisclosed. At least Duke knew to deliver mine to Earth. ;)

“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on duke2x again.”

(thanks for the info!)

budwom
08-07-2019, 07:25 AM
our man Daniel gets big and generally good ink:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/sports/football/daniel-jones-eli-manning-giants-quarterback.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Sports

Devil549
08-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Ready for some football and to watch this team. I think Coach Cut has really built depth and upgraded our talent. We shall see b/c the schedule is very tough.

IMO DL should be solid as well as our LBs plus the DBs but sure would like Gilbert back. Of course if Gilbert was healthy all last season IMO he would have entered the draft.

Offensively we have young talent and some new/old guys (AKA Returning Lettermen) in the program who are getting the opportunity they have been waiting and working for.

Hearing rumblings about a possible LB committing soon (today?) to the class of 2020...Bob Green waiting for you to confirm.

Also I really appreciated all the info Bob and Jim provide this forum about football...Let's Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!

Devil549
08-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Just saw Dorian Mausi 6-2 215 OLB from Detroit did commit....don't have any other info and really don't worry about the Stars that recruiting services had out. However he did have a couple of Power 5 offers.

throatybeard
08-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Wait, is Duke still mailing subscribers paper tickets? I love keeping stubs but a couple years ago the Blues went to mobile entry and now you have to beg them for paper tickets if you have, say, a group of people on your season ticket and need to draft 44 separate regular season games among four people.

I attended nine of the Blues' thirteen home games in the playoffs. Have not one single keepsake stub.

budwom
08-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Wait, is Duke still mailing subscribers paper tickets? I love keeping stubs but a couple years ago the Blues went to mobile entry and now you have to beg them for paper tickets if you have, say, a group of people on your season ticket and need to draft 44 separate regular season games among four people.

I attended nine of the Blues' thirteen home games in the playoffs. Have not one single keepsake stub.

Gen-U-Wine paper tickets in a spirally notebook kind of format...a keepsake for the ages, that's what we get every year....

Your Blues methodology resonated with me, I used to split Montreal Canadiens season tickets four ways, held an annual draft...

4Gen
08-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Gen-U-Wine paper tickets in a spirally notebook kind of format...a keepsake for the ages, that's what we get every year...

I buy cheap season tickets and give away most of them to various families. If tix disappear, I'm gone too.

Bob Green
08-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Just saw Dorian Mausi 6-2 215 OLB from Detroit did commit...don't have any other info and really don't worry about the Stars that recruiting services had out. However he did have a couple of Power 5 offers.

Where are you seeing this commit? I do not see anything in the usual places. :confused:

Devil549
08-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Crystal Ball prediction of 100%

I think I jumped gun as it is my understanding he announces today so not a verbal yet...my bad as the kids say.

Offers from Colorado State, Mich State and Indiana.

Bob Green
08-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Jim Sumner article up on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/8/20768295/duke-football-progress-report-blue-devils-david-cutcliffe-wallace-wade-stadium

As a fan that loves a team that can run the football, I am always interested in offensive line news. Jim provides plenty in this article so give it a read.

devildeac
08-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Jim Sumner article up on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/8/20768295/duke-football-progress-report-blue-devils-david-cutcliffe-wallace-wade-stadium

As a fan that loves a team that can run the football, I am always interested in offensive line news. Jim provides plenty in this article so give it a read.

Thanks for the suggestion/link. That is indeed a very worthwhile read and I'm encouraged by the quotes.

Jim3k
08-08-2019, 08:05 PM
I rarely take issue with Jim. He's terrific. And maybe, just maybe, I'm taking issue with the headline writer, who is suggesting that the NC State game in 1983 was Duke's best football comeback of all time.

Whatever. But if we are talking all time great comebacks, I nominate the October 6, 1962 comeback against Florida. The game was played in Jacksonville and was only on radio, which I at first disgustedly listened to in my dorm room. In the first half, Duke could do nothing and was down 21-0. But then the worm turned. The 1962 team was really very good, later turning down a post-season invitation to the Gator Bowl. But on this day behind the dual QBs of Walt Rappold and Gil Garner, the running of Billy Futrell, Mark Leggett and Jay Wilkinson, (not to mention someone named Mike Curtis :D) the Devils mounted a comeback, but more importantly the defense shut out the Gators. Eventually, the Devils won the game 28-21.

But the game and its greatness has been forgotten because hardly anyone saw it. If it had been played in Durham, people would remember. Mists of time and all that.

chrishoke
08-08-2019, 08:42 PM
I rarely take issue with Jim. He's terrific. And maybe, just maybe, I'm taking issue with the headline writer, who is suggesting that the NC State game in 1983 was Duke's best football comeback of all time.

Whatever. But if we are talking all time great comebacks, I nominate the October 6, 1962 comeback against Florida. The game was played in Jacksonville and was only on radio, which I at first disgustedly listened to in my dorm room. In the first half, Duke could do nothing and was down 21-0. But then the worm turned. The 1962 team was really very good, later turning down a post-season invitation to the Gator Bowl. But on this day behind the dual QBs of Walt Rappold and Gil Garner, the running of Billy Futrell, Mark Leggett and Jay Wilkinson, (not to mention someone named Mike Curtis :D) the Devils mounted a comeback, but more importantly the defense shut out the Gators. Eventually, the Devils won the game 28-21.

But the game and its greatness has been forgotten because hardly anyone saw it. If it had been played in Durham, people would remember. Mists of time and all that.

Great memory. Thanks.

jimsumner
08-08-2019, 09:59 PM

A.I don't do the headlines. Julian does.

B.The headline in question indeed ends with a question mark.

Back to your regular programming.

chrishoke
08-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Fabulous article by Jim Sumner - Duke Football Progress Report. Lots of great info. Thanks Jim.
https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/8/20768295/duke-football-progress-report-blue-devils-david-cutcliffe-wallace-wade-stadium?fbclid=IwAR0rc6pXJs_TqA-sVZbtNfiTvEcORtYyUm7KqQRSrWWe0hZMnYrJHG19e4M

chrishoke
08-09-2019, 02:58 PM
DAMN!

@BlueDevilNation
·
16m

SMH. Godspeed and recovery -- Duke sophomore wide receiver Jake Bobo underwent surgery on Friday to address a fractured right clavicle suffered during Thursday’s practice. He will be out of action indefinitely.

Bob Green
08-09-2019, 03:03 PM
It seems we cannot catch a break on the injury front the past few seasons. This is not the type news I desired to read this afternoon.

Acymetric
08-09-2019, 03:03 PM
DAMN!

@BlueDevilNation
·
16m

SMH. Godspeed and recovery -- Duke sophomore wide receiver Jake Bobo underwent surgery on Friday to address a fractured right clavicle suffered during Thursday’s practice. He will be out of action indefinitely.

Bummer. I imagine he'll be back, but that means we're going into the season with a receiving corps who caught all of 16 balls last year (36 if you include Noah Gray at TE).

arnie
08-09-2019, 04:04 PM
DAMN!

@BlueDevilNation
·
16m

Whenever I open a Duke preseason football thread I expect to see bad news. This is so typical of the last few seasons. Bobo was going to be so important on special teams as well as the clutch receiver.

Oh well, maybe he’s back by early October?

jimsumner
08-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Here's the release.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211808812&DB_OEM_ID=4200

HereBeforeCoachK
08-09-2019, 04:42 PM
It seems we cannot catch a break on the injury front the past few seasons. This is not the type news I desired to read this afternoon.

Does anyone know how this situation compares to that of DJ last season? Wasn't it a similar injury?

jimsumner
08-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Actually, Duke is catching lots of breaks. That's the problem.

OldPhiKap
08-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Major bummer. Get well soon!

Bob Green
08-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Nice photo of true freshman running back Jaylen Coleman:

richmclean
08-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Do we still have those BMEs on the roster to 3D print a collarbone brace?

sagegrouse
08-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Clark and Kevin have both graduated, but one may be at Duke Med School.

duke2x
08-09-2019, 11:51 PM

I'm sure the ortho staff at Duke Med can prescribe something that the BME Department can 3D print in landscape or portrait.

Bobo isn't Jones in the eyes of the coaching staff, and I would not be surprised if he sits out with the others. The first real(istic) test is 49 days away (VT). I recognize @MTSU will not be easy even if they are projected to have a rebuilding year. AL and A&T are "no injury" games mostly.

Bob Green
08-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Gunnar Holmberg injured his knee and will need surgery per Steve Wiseman.

Bob Green
08-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Scrimmage report via Twitter: defense looked great, offense looked ragged.

Avvocato
08-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Gunnar Holmberg injured his knee and will need surgery per Steve Wiseman.

Thankfully he also stated not an ACL with no timetable for return. Another bummer.

Edit: Bummer that he got hurt. Was looking forward to him and all the young QBs getting some work but happy it’s at least not an ACL.

Bob Green
08-10-2019, 09:58 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211808903&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Scrimmage article from GoDuke.com Aaron Young caught a TD pass. Defense with multiple interceptions.

devildeac
08-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Our younger son-in-law, former FB manager several years ago, thinks two wins this year :eek:. We discussed this with some vigor over dinner and a couple beer flights tonight. I think 6 wins is optimistic.

CameronBornAndBred
08-10-2019, 11:58 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211808903&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Scrimmage article from GoDuke.com Aaron Young caught a TD pass. Defense with multiple interceptions.

That sucks. Of course our D knows the O better than our opponents will, but whew, that doesn't sound like the balance one would hope for. Wish we knew the scenarios. Underthrows, overthrows, bad misses entirely, etc.?

budwom
08-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Our younger son-in-law, former FB manager several years ago, thinks two wins this year :eek:. We discussed this with some vigor over dinner and a couple beer flights tonight. I think 6 wins is optimistic.

I'd say optimistic is an understatement...

chrishoke
08-11-2019, 07:52 AM
The best news from the scrimmage was that Edgar Cerenord played and had two tackles for loss! By the way, the defense is typically ahead of the offense this early in the pre-season.

richardjackson199
08-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Maybe we should play our walk-on QB's vs Bama to keep our 2 recruited QB's healthy for the season. I know, I know. But we aren't going to beat Bama and I wish this young team was not starting with that. Honestly I wish we were not playing that game.

But hopefully I'm wrong and it will elevate our level of play to better be able to compete with less-talented teams. I'm just afraid we'll leave the game with more key injuries being so thoroughly, physically outmatched.

chrishoke
08-11-2019, 10:32 AM
I saw on twitter that true freshman #7 Jordan Waters, Fr. from NC, switched from safety to RB, has only been playing RB 2 days, surprised people with his ability & coach said he’s never going back to defense. In yesterday's scrimmage he carried the ball nine times for 54 yards.

chrishoke
08-11-2019, 10:39 AM
Great Jim Sumner article on yesterday's scrimmage.
https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/11/20800742/jim-takes-in-duke-footballs-saturday-scrimmage-david-cutcliffe-wallace-wade

budwom
08-11-2019, 11:43 AM
So our first team offense struggled against our second team defense? That's not particularly encouraging...

richardjackson199
08-11-2019, 12:16 PM

I think your son-in-law is wrong and I'd love to bet him a pie that we at least double his win total prediction. I'd even say beer, but I can't afford the juice on the consult fees. ;)

Duke has 4 winnable games, and we have to win all of them - NCAT, Mid Tenn, GT, and UNC.

Because we also have 4 games we will almost certainly lose - Bama, ND, VT, and Syracuse.

We will probably be underdogs in the other 4, but we do have a chance of winning vs Pitt, vs Miami, at Wake, and at UVA if we bring it. I really want those Wake and UVA wins as payback, and the team will too.

Admittedly the probability of 6 wins is probably significantly less than 50%, improbable but not impossible. And the ceiling for our team could be 7 or even 8 wins. A great defense and better health could give us some chances and excitement. So I think 2 wins is worst case scenario, also possible of course. But I wouldn't bet on it. And that is what scares me most. :eek:

Expecting a rebuild, but hoping for the best. Trust in Cut. And win or lose, the tailgating and beer in the parking lot will be world class! :cool:

arnie
08-11-2019, 12:16 PM
So our first team offense struggled against our second team defense? That's not particularly encouraging...

Maybe our D is stronger than the ‘39 Duke D that was unscored on until last few minutes of Rose Bowl😀

Bob Green
08-11-2019, 12:24 PM

I certainly agree with your point; however, there are a couple of circumstances to consider. First, Deon Jackson did not participate in the scrimmage. Second, Brittain Brown's participation was limited. From Jim Sumner's article:

Brittain Brown started at running back and had a couple of solid rotations but sat down for a platoon of backups.

When a team's two proven playmakers are on the sideline, it is not surprising the offense sputtered.

A positive takeaway for me is Aaron Young who needs to have a big season. Once again from Jim's article:

One of the things that happened during the second half was Harris hitting Aaron Young for a 34-yard touchdown. A perfect pass and a contested catch in traffic.

Young is the team's most experienced wide receiver entering the season even though he has struggled to stay healthy.

chrishoke
08-11-2019, 12:44 PM
Steve Wiseman, N&O article on the scrimmage.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article233724752.html

Bob Green
08-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Steve Wiseman, N&O article on the scrimmage.
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article233724752.html

I can't read the last couple N&O articles you have linked. They ask me to purchase a SportsPass to view.

budwom
08-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Maybe our D is stronger than the ‘39 Duke D that was unscored on until last few minutes of Rose Bowl😀

Damn you Antelope Kruger!

richardjackson199
08-11-2019, 01:05 PM
I can't read the last couple N&O articles you have linked. They ask me to purchase a SportsPass to view.

Weird. I read the article and it didn't ask me to purchase anything. Good article. I always enjoy reading Wiseman (and Sumner)

chrishoke
08-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Good to know. I live in Raleigh and I am a subscriber so I guess that's why I could access. Sorry.

Acymetric
08-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Weird. I read the article and it didn't ask me to purchase anything. Good article. I always enjoy reading Wiseman (and Sumner)

Good to know. I live in Raleigh and I am a subscriber so I guess that's why I could access. Sorry.

FWIW, I am not a subscriber and had no problems reading the article. I'm pretty sure the N&O is free but limits the number of articles that can read by non-subscribers. Had you read any other N&O articles before clicking on those links? You may have just hit your limit. Whenever that happens to me at work I just switch browsers and usually the articles will open fine in the different browser, so you might try that.

Bob Green
08-11-2019, 02:49 PM
You may have just hit your limit. Whenever that happens to me at work I just switch browsers and usually the articles will open fine in the different browser, so you might try that.

Thank you. I'm reading the article now using IE (Firefox is my normal browser). :cool:

AustinDevil
08-11-2019, 09:52 PM
“Alabama inside linebacker Josh McMillon is likely out the upcoming season after suffering a knee injury at the team's scrimmage Saturday, reports AL.com's Matt Zenitz.

“The Crimson Tide already lost freshman running back Trey Sanders to a season-ending foot injury.”

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/11/alabama-josh-mcmillon-linebacker-injury-updates-likely-out

devildeac
08-11-2019, 11:10 PM

I had no trouble reading the most recent article, and although the sportspass ad appeared in the middle of this piece, I was able to continue reading.

devildeac
08-11-2019, 11:12 PM

Did you mean *drinking* WiseMan? ;):rolleyes:

peloton
08-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Sorry to read about the injuries to these two Crimson Tide players in particular...best of luck in regard to their recovery. I also want them to be as close to full strength as possible when we play them. I don't want to hear any Alabama fans complaining when we pull off the big upset that they would've won had everyone been healthy 😉.

P.S. - old news but can't express how sorry I was to hear the bad news about Jake Bobo. I can't wait to see him back on the field...heal quickly, Jake!

4Gen
08-12-2019, 12:53 PM
This is Duke day on David Glenn show

tteettimes
08-12-2019, 01:15 PM
I predict that if we beat both Alabama and Norte Dame that we will have a winning season and go to a bowl
Brazen prediction I know I know........But.......

CameronBlue
08-12-2019, 01:39 PM
I predict that when we beat both Alabama and Norte Dame that we will have a winning season and go to a bowl
Brazen prediction I know I know...But...

FIFY

HereBeforeCoachK
08-12-2019, 05:22 PM
This is Duke day on David Glenn show

What did DG say about Duke....

devilirium
08-12-2019, 05:30 PM
What did DG say about Duke...

I'm looking forward to listening to the podcast later, but Harding and Shumate filled in for DG on Duke Day per his twitter.

I think DG and his family are across the pond for a bit. I have always thought that having the various university days while he's out in the summer was a pretty smart move.

Bob Green
08-12-2019, 07:29 PM
This Adam Rowe scrimmage article states true freshman Jalon Calhoun (5'11" 185) is currently the starter at slot receiver. Calhoun will wear #5:

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/duke-blue-devils-david-cutcliffe-offensive-inconsistency-134397864/

"He's been tremendous," said Cutcliffe. "He's as good of a natural football player as we have. He comes to work everyday, almost runs himself in the ground everyday. He was a quarterback in high school. He's just a pure playmaker. With Jake Bobo out at that position, he had earned second team at that position by then. That's why he as in the starting role tonight."

chrishoke
08-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Good news for this year's prospects - I just saw Offensive Coordinator Zac Roper interviewed on twitter and has grown a beard. Fear the beard is real.

Bob Green
08-13-2019, 03:19 PM
I just saw Offensive Coordinator Zac Roper interviewed on twitter...

Here is the video clip:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1161256604051750914

Bob Green
08-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Good news from Steve Wiseman:

@stevewisemanNC
Duke's David Cutcliffe said redshirt freshman QB Gunnar Holmberg had knee surgery today to repair cartilage damage. Surgeon found meniscus was only partially torn. Repair was made. No timetable for recovery. Long-term prognosis good.

chrishoke
08-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Stephen Wiseman

@stevewisemanNC

Duke's David Cutcliffe said redshirt freshman QB Gunnar Holmberg had knee surgery today to repair cartilage damage. Surgeon found meniscus was only partially torn. Repair was made. No timetable for recovery. Long-term prognosis good.

Bob Green
08-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Steve Wiseman article on the young players competing for spots in the 2-Deep rotation:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article233962877.html

Freshmen players are all over Duke’s two-deep chart, earning playing time with the first- and second-team units on offense and defense when the Blue Devils held their first scrimmage this past Saturday night at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Bob Green
08-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Jim Sumner on the receivers:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/13/20803239/dukes-receivers-inexperienced-but-talented-blue-devils-football

Nice comment on the importance of a healthy Aaron Young:

Young has been healthy so far this fall and caught a 34-yard scoring strike in the first scrimmage. He is Duke’s most experienced receiver and most effective deep threat. His continued good health would go a long way towards an effective passing attack.

chrishoke
08-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Great article, thanks Bob. I love the competition and the depth and improvement that it will hopefully create. It is a little surprising given that our recruiting class was considered to be pretty pedestrian. It seems that Cut is pushing and motivating this team differently this year. Given our schedule, that makes sense.

devildeac
08-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Steve Wiseman article on the young players competing for spots in the 2-Deep rotation:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article233962877.html

Here's another interesting tidbit from that article:

"On Tuesday, Cutcliffe said John Gelotte is now working with tight ends after being recruited as an offensive tackle.

“He is so athletic to be as big a man as he is,” Cutcliffe said of the 6-5, 290-pound Gelotte. “I don’t know if he’s going to stay there but he brings something to this 2019 team that’s a little different.”

Moving from OT to TE :eek:? Potentially a 6-5, 290 TE :eek::eek:?

Indoor66
08-14-2019, 07:45 AM

"On Tuesday, Cutcliffe said John Gelotte is now working with tight ends after being recruited as an offensive tackle.

“He is so athletic to be as big a man as he is,” Cutcliffe said of the 6-5, 290-pound Gelotte. “I don’t know if he’s going to stay there but he brings something to this 2019 team that’s a little different.”

Well, Doc, we did have a 6'7" 285 forward in Cameron! The question isn't Why, it is Why not?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-14-2019, 08:05 AM
Well, Doc, we did have a 6'7" 285 forward in Cameron! The question isn't Why, it is Why not?

Zion in disguise? I'm in!

Bob Green
08-14-2019, 07:19 PM
This article is from August 2018 so it is dated but if you desire to understand Duke's offensive scheme it is well worth the time plus it includes multiple video clips:

https://www.cover1.net/duke-football-offense-daniel-jones-playbook/

Starting at the very beginning, this playbook starts with the inside zone run. The Blue Devils, they normally run this out of ’11’ personnel (one tight end and one running back).

Article uses diagrams and video clips to talk the inside read, wide receiver screen, intermediate passing game and read-pass option (RPO).

Enjoy.

OldPhiKap
08-14-2019, 07:32 PM
This article is from August 2018 so it is dated but if you desire to understand Duke's offensive scheme it is well worth the time plus it includes multiple video clips:

Article uses diagrams and video clips to talk the inside read, wide receiver screen, intermediate passing game and read-pass option (RPO).

Enjoy.

Thanks Bob. Plan to sit down with this over the weekend.

martydoesntfoul
08-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Given all of our injury problems, perhaps we should consider taking a page out of Dartmouth’s practice playbook...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27347621/virtual-reality-robotic-tackling-dummies-how-dartmouth-shaping-future-football

Avvocato
08-14-2019, 10:20 PM

I smell a tackle eligible play coming.

devildeac
08-14-2019, 10:40 PM

LOL. If so, it'll have to be some variant of a "bubble screen."

;)

chrishoke
08-14-2019, 10:48 PM

Enjoy.

Tx Bob. For some reason the videos won't play for me.

duke2x
08-14-2019, 11:28 PM

We will fake it the first 7 games and then run it against UNC.

budwom
08-15-2019, 07:45 AM

So maybe this is situational, or temporary, but we already have five scholarships tied up at the tight end position, and we've been having OT woes in recent years (how's that collarbone feeling, Mr. Jones?), so personally I'd just as soon see a promising young OT like Gelotte back at his original position...I guess we'll see...

Bob Green
08-15-2019, 03:42 PM
College football's most exciting players:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27375332/college-football-most-exciting-players-no-tua-trevor

15. Deon Jackson, RB/KR, Duke: Jackson is one of the most fun players you probably haven't heard of.

Whatcha talkin' bout, ESPN? Around these parts, we've all heard of Deon Jackson.

devilirium
08-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Tx Bob. For some reason the videos won't play for me.

Chris, I clicked on the ad button in the still shot (I see what you're talking about), and then it played.

Bob Green
08-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Jim Sumner's Duke Football Notes return:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/15/20806598/duke-football-notes-david-cutcliffe-duke-gang

Pure gold!

fidel
08-15-2019, 09:37 PM

Enjoy.

This was really great. Thanks for sharing.

chrishoke
08-16-2019, 12:03 PM
This is as good a thread as any to wish a Happy 50th Anniversary to my avatar and her wonderful performance at Woodstock!

Bob Green
08-16-2019, 01:01 PM
This is as good a thread as any to wish a Happy 50th Anniversary to my avatar and her wonderful performance at Woodstock!

Beautiful! Sexy! Talented!

OldPhiKap
08-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Beautiful! Sexy! Talented!

And she vaguely plotted to dose Nixon. So she's a multiple-threat performer!

(Love the Airplane. Love Hot Tuna. Starship, well -- all good things must end I guess)

Bob Green
08-16-2019, 01:40 PM
In Episode 2 of The Duke Standard, Rak Chambers breaks down offensive line blocking on a couple of running plays then we learn about the passion of Co-Defensive Coordinator Matt Guerrieri:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bhcy-Br5Tg

Chambers breaking down film is tremendous stuff.

Bob Green
08-16-2019, 02:47 PM
I'm listening to this podcast right now:

The All 22 - An Inside Look at Duke Football (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/camp-previews-david-cutcliffe/id1418011071?i=1000447059131)

The hosts are interviewing Coach Cutcliffe.

Bob Green
08-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Speaking of podcasts, the DBR podcast crew discusses football starting at 35 minute mark:

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-162-summer-hoops-thoughts

Jason, Sam and Donald promise a full preview in a week or two...

OldPhiKap
08-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Two weeks to go!!!!!! Woot!

PDDuke85
08-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Any news leaking out from last nights scrimmage?

Bob Green
08-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Nothing so far, which is good news as I suspect we will hear absolutely nothing unless another injury was incurred.

stingy
08-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Hey everyone, Matt from WXDU sports here. We managed to score an interview with the Peach Bowl CEO and President discussing the season opener which we’ll
Be airing on our show tomorrow evening between 6 and 7 eastern time. We don’t have a regular online archive but maybe I can get the interview up for people that can’t listen live. But if you can tune in, we’re at wxdu.org or 88.7 for you locals. Thanks!

budwom
08-17-2019, 11:20 AM

more apt to get the nuclear launch codes I'd say...

chrishoke
08-17-2019, 07:24 PM
Nice crowd at meet the Blue Devils Day - anyone else go? Also cool that they invited season ticket holders to join the team for the annual team picture.

fidel
08-17-2019, 10:40 PM
Hey everyone, Matt from WXDU sports here. We managed to score an interview with the Peach Bowl CEO and President discussing the season opener which we’ll
Be airing on our show tomorrow evening between 6 and 7 eastern time. We don’t have a regular online archive but maybe I can get the interview up for people that can’t listen live. But if you can tune in, we’re at wxdu.org or 88.7 for you locals. Thanks!

Thanks for posting! As a non-local, I'd love a link!

Bob Green
08-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Coach Cutcliffe comments on Friday's scrimmage:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article234119697.html

1. Team stayed healthy! That's a good thing.
2. First offense scored 24 points.
3. First defense held second offense scoreless.
4. The team is getting better every time it takes to the practice field.

Coach Cutcliffe commented the kicking game is progressing but my interpretation of his facial expressions while making the comment is it isn't where it needs to be.

chrishoke
08-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Coach Cutcliffe comments on Friday's scrimmage:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article234119697.html

1. Team stayed healthy! That's a good thing.
2. First offense scored 24 points.
3. First defense held second offense scoreless.
4. The team is getting better every time it takes to the practice field.

Coach Cutcliffe commented the kicking game is progressing but my interpretation of his facial expressions while making the comment is it isn't where it needs to be.

Tx. Bob. Cut also indicated that the first team offense went 60 yards in the two minute drill for a field goal as the first half ended.

Bob Green
08-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Steve Wiseman with more scrimmage information:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article234111737.html

Offensive Coordinator Zac Roper stated:

“We are young at the tackle spots and that’s OK, we aren’t just playing young players. We feel like we are playing young, talented players.”

Roper also stated Deon Jackson playing in the second scrimmage helped the offense.

tteettimes
08-18-2019, 01:47 PM
We are young at the tackle spots and that’s OK, we aren’t just playing young players. We feel like we are playing young, talented players.”.....MAYBE BUT...
I gotta wonder how they’ll stack up on August 31st......and will they still be able to play the next game
I know I know ....Negative Nelly here...
..but I can’t help but think with all the positive thinking here that....ain’t no way Josea....just ain’t no way

Bob Green
08-18-2019, 03:25 PM
I gotta wonder how they’ll stack up on August 31st...and will they still be able to play the next game
I know I know ...Negative Nelly here...
..but I can’t help but think with all the positive thinking here that...ain’t no way Josea...just ain’t no way

This thread is about the whole 2019 season not the Alabama game. A game thread will be opened at the appropriate time.

I'm one of the more optimistic Duke football fans and while I am not predicting a victory over the Crimson Tide, I refuse to concede the game before they kick the ball. Lots of young talent on the roster, how talented remains to be seen.

Hingeknocker
08-19-2019, 11:22 AM
It's hard to believe that the season is just around the corner. We have a ton of questions to answer all over the field, but I'm excited to see how we stack up. And that it's us with the chance to hand Alabama a 2-game losing streak.

As it happens, I have a ticket available in the Iron Dukes section for the Duke/Alabama game. A few friends and I bought tickets a long time ago, but something came up and I'm not able to make the trip. I'd love for the ticket to go to a good, Duke home. PM if interested! (Apologies if this isn't the right place, but there's not a ton of other Duke football chatter so I figured I'd throw it out here.)

sagegrouse
08-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Zero, zip, nada from the 62 AP voters, as opposed to ten votes from the Coaches Poll. Not truly significant because, at best, ten of the 65 coaches gave recognition to Duke at #25. Or, possibly one voter out of 65 voted for Duke at #16 and the rest said, "Nah!" Anyway, let's win our ranking on the playing field.

Acymetric
08-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Zero, zip, nada from the 62 AP voters, as opposed to ten votes from the Coaches Poll. Nut truly significant because, at best, ten of the 65 coaches gave recognition to Duke at #25. Or, possibly one voter out of 65 voted for Duke at #16 and the rest said, "Nah!" anyway, let's win our ranking on the playing field.

I'm honestly surprised we got that many. I would be really curious where our votes came from.

AGDukesky
08-19-2019, 02:13 PM
I'm honestly surprised we got that many. I would be really curious where our votes came from.

That Spurrier coaching tree must be strong...

CameronBornAndBred
08-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Sure ain't a lot of love for the ACC at all in those polls. Three* teams total.

*reluctantly including ND, only because they will play more ACC teams than others.

Bob Green
08-20-2019, 05:09 PM
2019 Duke Football Digital Guide is available at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211809644&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I've just started looking through it. Barry Jacobs has an article on Quentin Harris (Belief in Quentin), Jim Sumner writes about Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown (Full Speed Ahead) and John Roth contributes an article on Michael Carter (Value Added DB).

There is a lot more content...

richmclean
08-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Jacob Monk with a lot of love at 247 for preseason Freshman All American:

https://247sports.com/Article/Best-freshmen-college-football-2019-Jayden-Daniels-Derek-Stingley-134564281/

OL – Jacob Monk, Duke (No. 479, No. 27 OG)

Duke is not inexperienced at right tackle: 6-foot-7 redshirt junior Robert Kraeling started every game at the position last season for the Blue Devils. So the fact that the 6-foot-3 Monk looks well-positioned to win that job is much more of a testament to his ability than any playing-time-by-necessity scenario.

johnb
08-20-2019, 10:17 PM
Jacob Monk with a lot of love at 247 for preseason Freshman All American:

https://247sports.com/Article/Best-freshmen-college-football-2019-Jayden-Daniels-Derek-Stingley-134564281/

OL – Jacob Monk, Duke (No. 479, No. 27 OG)

Duke is not inexperienced at right tackle: 6-foot-7 redshirt junior Robert Kraeling started every game at the position last season for the Blue Devils. So the fact that the 6-foot-3 Monk looks well-positioned to win that job is much more of a testament to his ability than any playing-time-by-necessity scenario.

That’s impressive, as is the fact that the other linemen on that list were much higher rated than Monk. According to 247, the others were nationally rated as the best OT, #2 OG, #3 OT, #6 OT, and Monk at #27 OG. Similarly, the lowest overall national ranking of the other 4 guys was 74, while Monk was #479.

Gewebe14
08-21-2019, 08:35 AM
Jim Sumner writes about Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown (Full Speed Ahead)

Shouldn’t the article about Jackson/Brown have been titled Running on Empty?

OldPhiKap
08-21-2019, 09:48 AM
Shouldn’t the article about Jackson/Brown have been titled Running on Empty?

^^ Spork-worthy comment right there.

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2019, 03:43 PM
MSN has a fun prognostication piece up, predicting who will be each current Top 25 team's first loss. You have to go all the way through to get to #2 Alabama, of course.
And who do they say will be The Tide's first taste of defeat? Not Duke...and not anybody.
They predict an undefeated season ending in a championship.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/predicting-first-loss-of-every-top-25-college-football-team/ss-AAG4yh8?li=BBnb7Kz#image=24

Avvocato
08-21-2019, 03:48 PM
According to Steve Wiseman, Jakob Monk (OT) and Jalon Calhoun (WR) will start against Alabama.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/status/1164249234775904259?s=21

Bob Green
08-21-2019, 07:59 PM
The Duke Standard, Episode 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzx0Gp0ezI

budwom
08-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Baptism by fire for our two starting tackles....Monk (true frosh) has never played a college snap, Holman is a redshirt frosh with 51 snaps to his name...tough first game.

Meanwhile touted offensive tackle recruit John Gelotte has indeed been switched to tight end, now sporting number 82...somewhat stunning move given our dearth of OTs last year and Gelotte's reputation (offers from NW, Pitt, Syracuse among many others)...hopefully we actually use him at TE, or retain his redshirt...

CameronBornAndBred
08-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Baptism by fire for our two starting tackles...Monk (true frosh) has never played a college snap, Holman is a redshirt frosh with 51 snaps to his name...tough first game.

Meanwhile touted offensive tackle recruit John Gelotte has indeed been switched to tight end, now sporting number 82...somewhat stunning move given our dearth of OTs last year and Gelotte's reputation (offers from NW, Pitt, Syracuse among many others)...hopefully we actually use him at TE, or retain his redshirt...
Goofy question...how is Holman a redshirt freshman, but with snaps?

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 03:01 PM

The new rule that allows players to play in up to four games and still redshirt. It does feel like that makes things really weird for statkeeping.

Bob Green
08-22-2019, 03:02 PM

This is a result of the new redshirt rules implemented last season. A player can participate in 4 games and still redshirt. Game 5 is the trip point now.

CameronBornAndBred
08-22-2019, 03:03 PM
The new rule that allows players to play in up to four games and still redshirt. It does feel like that makes things really weird for statkeeping.

This is a result of the new redshirt rules implemented last season. A player can participate in 4 games and still redshirt. Game 5 is the trip point now.
Thanks and thanks. Must spread love before sporking, blah blah blah,

devildeac
08-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Thanks and thanks. Must spread love before sporking, blah blah blah,

They've both been loved appropriately for their helpfulness.

;)

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 03:08 PM
They've both been loved appropriately for their helpfulness.

;)

Proxy sporks? I suppose its better than sympathy sporks.

devildeac
08-22-2019, 03:17 PM

I'm here to please-they're buddies of mine. Besides, if I help them out, I *might* get an extra burger from CB&B at the NC A&T tailgate and Bob *might* not try to drink all my beers. (shameless, I know)

;):o

Bob Green
08-22-2019, 03:21 PM
...and Bob *might* not try to drink all my beers.

The odds I don't try to drink all your beers are somewhere between slim to none. :cool:

OldPhiKap
08-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Bob *might* not try to drink all my beers. (shameless, I know)

;):o

It’s a sign of respect in some cultures to drink all your beer.

Probably.

devildeac
08-22-2019, 03:26 PM
The odds I don't try to drink all your beers are somewhere between slim to none. :cool:

And slim was seen boarding the last train out of town, amirite?

:p

Bob Green
08-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Meanwhile touted offensive tackle recruit John Gelotte has indeed been switched to tight end, now sporting number 82...

Pure speculation on my part but perhaps we will see some two TE formations where the second TE (Gelotte) is more like a sixth offensive lineman to facilitate the power running game.

OldPhiKap
08-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Duke Captains announced:

Your team captains ⤵️

🔷 @qharris18
🔷 @zsb69
🔷 @trehornbuckle_5
🔷 @AmbitiousQ15
🔷 @__DS7
🔷 Edgar Cerenord

goduke.us/2L1FGvH | #GoDuke

budwom
08-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Pure speculation on my part but perhaps we will see some two TE formations where the second TE (Gelotte) is more like a sixth offensive lineman to facilitate the power running game.

I bet we will...still am amazed that we now have SIX scholarships tied up with tight ends....makes you wonder about the other guys if they feel Gelotte belongs there.

Indoor66
08-22-2019, 03:40 PM

Or virtual sporks.

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 03:41 PM

I remember at some point us lining up a TE like a fullback for blocking as well.

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Duke Captains announced:

Your team captains ⤵️

🔷 @qharris18
🔷 @zsb69
🔷 @trehornbuckle_5
🔷 @AmbitiousQ15
🔷 @__DS7
🔷 Edgar Cerenord

goduke.us/2L1FGvH | #GoDuke

Nice!

Translation for those not familiar with the Twitter handles (most of them are fairly obvious, but still):

Quintin Harris
Zach Baker
Tre Hornbuckle
Koby Quansah
Dylan Singleton
Edgar Cerenord (guessing he's not on Twitter ;))

Bob Green
08-22-2019, 03:46 PM
I remember at some point us lining up a TE like a fullback for blocking as well.

Yep. With Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown being the two proven playmakers I am all for anything that gives them an opportunity to break into open space.

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Yep. With Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown being the two proven playmakers I am all for anything that gives them an opportunity to break into open space.

I can't honestly remember if we started doing it to improve run blocking or to fix pass protection problems (or both), I just remember it happening sometime during Cut's tenure. It does make me miss Tielor Robinson, our last true fullback as far as I can recall. Those were dark times, but that was a hard-nosed dude. Made excellent use of him in the old NCAA Football games.

TruBlu
08-22-2019, 04:20 PM

Wasn’t that at the “delayed by weather” game at Ga Tech a few years ago?

Acymetric
08-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Wasn’t that at the “delayed by weather” game at Ga Tech a few years ago?

Very well might have been. It was definitely a while back, and seems like we only broke it out for a game or two.

Reilly
08-23-2019, 12:14 AM
From SportsLine from CBSsports: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-odds-picks-predictions-for-week-1-proven-computer-model-loving-alabama-north-carolina/

Another one of the 2019 Week 1 college football predictions from the model: No. 2 Alabama (-34.5) covers against Duke. The Tide should be on a mission after getting embarrassed in last year's national title game. On the opposite sideline, the Blue Devils will be adjusting to life without start quarterback Daniel Jones, who was picked No. 6 overall by the New York Giants in the 2019 NFL Draft.

SportsLine's model projects almost 400 yards of passing for Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa as he launches another Heisman campaign, while running back Najee Harris goes off for close to 150 on the ground. The Tide hold Duke to just two scores and cover in almost 60 percent of simulations. You can also back the over (58.5) because the model is calling for 61 combined points.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-23-2019, 05:58 AM
I think autocorrect got me when I Zporked you. Noticed it as I hit enter. dd not ad!

4Gen
08-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Cut show starts tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
08-24-2019, 10:31 AM
One week until kickoff!

Bob Green
08-25-2019, 05:51 AM
Jim Looks at Duke Place-Kicking:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/8/23/20829384/jim-looks-at-duke-place-kicking-blue-devil-football

Duke’s first fall 2019 scrimmage was open to the media. Reed made two of three field goals, Ham one of two, all within 40 yards. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t perfect and Duke wants perfect.

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2019, 01:23 PM
I like this prediction from Pat Forde.

Notre Dame (4) will lose twice in November to unranked opponents. The Dash previously wrote about the difficulty the Fighting Irish have awaiting them with six games at an open-date disadvantage. That will catch up with them late in the season, when healthy and rested bodies are at a premium. Notre Dame has four straight November games at a rest/prep disadvantage: Virginia Tech, at Duke, Navy and Boston College. They’ll lose two of them — or perhaps one and the season finale at Stanford.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/forde-yard-dash-6-weird-predictions-and-4-picks-for-the-playoff-041102253.html

Of course, Duke is not included in those predicted losses, since we'll be ranked by then. :D

devildeac
08-26-2019, 01:36 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/forde-yard-dash-6-weird-predictions-and-4-picks-for-the-playoff-041102253.html

Of course, Duke is not included in those predicted losses, since we'll be ranked by then. :D

Plus, A. J. Reed is still on the roster...

;)

(yes, we were there:D)

OldPhiKap
08-26-2019, 01:46 PM

Plus, A. J. Reed is still on the roster...

;)

(yes, we were there:D)

We won in South Bend, so I see no reason why we wouldn't win at home.

Just gotta find the "Eat Me" cake costume, it's been in mothballs for awhile.

sagegrouse
08-26-2019, 02:52 PM
We won in South Bend, so I see no reason why we wouldn't win at home.

Just gotta find the "Eat Me" cake costume, it's been in mothballs for awhile.

Well, Devildeac, OldPhiKap, Stray Gator and Sage Grouse were there with family -- maybe we need a reunion at Duke.

devildeac
08-26-2019, 02:57 PM
Well, Devildeac, OldPhiKap, Stray Gator and Sage Grouse were there with family -- maybe we need a reunion at Duke.

"...Send lawyers, guns and money..." And beer, too.

OldPhiKap
08-26-2019, 03:01 PM

"...Send lawyers, guns and money..." And beer, too.

It may have to happen. That was a great place to see a game, and I hope we are half as hospitable to their fans in Durham as they were to us up there.

Bob Green
08-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Sammy Batten at the Fayetteville Observer has written a solid Duke football preview:

https://www.fayobserver.com/sports/20190827/duke-football-preview-blue-devils-riding-optimism-into-2019-season

Two major reasons for that optimism are the return of a proven commodity to replace Jones in senior Quentin Harris and eight starters back on a defense that might have the best secondary in the entire Atlantic Coast Conference.

And in juniors Deon Jackson and Brittain Brown, Harris will have one of the league’s best running-back duos to work with.

martydoesntfoul
08-27-2019, 10:03 PM
Jack Sears has entered the transfer portal... he had fallen to 4th on the USC QB depth chart.

Bob Green
08-28-2019, 06:03 AM
National Hurricane Center confirms football season has arrived:

Larger image: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/xgtwo/two_atl_2d0.png

johnb
08-28-2019, 08:57 AM

Also from yahoo, a preview of the Notre Dame season. After predicting a loss to Georgia, “the Irish will bury themselves with one or two more losses down the stretch; Stanford, Michigan and Duke are the most formidable opponents, but games against Virginia Tech and USC could also be traps.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/bold-predictions-2019-college-football-112800783.html

BlueDevil16
09-14-2019, 11:41 PM
Recruiting class still seems a bit small. Any recruits to keep our eyes out for?

ehdg
09-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Sorry didn’t know where to post this. But how is football recruiting going? Whose already Committed or Verbales to Duke n who/what folks/positions are we interested in n need?

chrishoke
09-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Sorry didn’t know where to post this. But how is football recruiting going? Whose already Committed or Verbales to Duke n who/what folks/positions are we interested in n need?

Commitments. https://247sports.com/college/duke/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

ehdg
09-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Thanks

BlueDevil16
09-21-2019, 10:12 PM
ESPN was just talking about how Chase Brice can grad transfer after this season. Would be great to see him in Durham.

sagegrouse
09-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Commitments. https://247sports.com/college/duke/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

Anyway, there are apparently 12 "hard commits." Maybe it's my eyes, but they all seem to be three-star players. Low numbers, high average quality?

budwom
09-22-2019, 12:44 PM
The first year (and subsequent) success of football recruits is generally tougher to predict than that of hoopsters...we often see some of the most highly touted recruits either redshirting or not excelling, while in virtually every class several lesser touted guys end up playing early...

CameronBlue
09-22-2019, 12:48 PM
By my logic position rank (translation: Oh look, there's this thing called "position rank"!) seems pretty important. Duke with only two commits in the top 50 at their position. Wonder if Duke is waiting on decisions from anyone else to hopefully pull up the class. ACC Rank 12, National Rank 66. Harumpf.

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2019, 01:07 PM

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43086-2020-Duke-Football-Recruiting&highlight=recruiting

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2019, 11:21 AM
By my logic position rank (translation: Oh look, there's this thing called "position rank"!) seems pretty important. Duke with only two commits in the top 50 at their position. Wonder if Duke is waiting on decisions from anyone else to hopefully pull up the class. ACC Rank 12, National Rank 66. Harumpf.

The emergency of Danny Dimes, the Danchise, etc (hey, blame the NY Post) should help this.

Acymetric
09-23-2019, 11:36 AM
The emergency of Danny Dimes, the Danchise, etc (hey, blame the NY Post) should help this.

All publicity is good publicity, but I wonder how much this really helps. It might help with QB recruiting (guys who thing Cut can get them pro-ready the way he did with DJ), but there is an element of "Duke must have not been a very good team if DJ is this good and they accomplished so little" going around.

chrishoke
09-23-2019, 12:42 PM
The ACC just announced that the Duke-Pitt game Oct 5 in Wally Wade will be at 8:00 pm.

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2019, 12:53 PM
The ACC just announced that the Duke-Pitt game Oct 5 in Wally Wade will be at 8:00 pm.

Love that. We'll be cooking a whole pig that day. :)

Bob Green
09-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Here is a link:

http://theacc.com/news/2019/9/23/acc-announces-football-game-times-networks-for-oct-5.aspx

Game will be telecast on the ACC Network.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2019, 04:29 PM
All publicity is good publicity, but I wonder how much this really helps. It might help with QB recruiting (guys who thing Cut can get them pro-ready the way he did with DJ), but there is an element of "Duke must have not been a very good team if DJ is this good and they accomplished so little" going around.

With due respect I think you're over thinking it.......and QB recruiting was the main position I was thinking about, but it should help WR and TE recruiting too.....

JasonEvans
09-24-2019, 08:36 AM
... there is an element of "Duke must have not been a very good team if DJ is this good and they accomplished so little" going around.

Duke with DJ at QB went 4-8, 7-6, and 8-5, a better record every year he was there. They won 2 bowl games and were nationally ranked (#22) at one point during DJ's last season at Duke. It is not like a recruit would look at that and think Duke is a lousy place to play football.

Acymetric
09-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Duke with DJ at QB went 4-8, 7-6, and 8-5, a better record every year he was there. They won 2 bowl games and were nationally ranked (#22) at one point during DJ's last season at Duke. It is not like a recruit would look at that and think Duke is a lousy place to play football.

So, I can't give numbers for 2019 because I'm not going to go through and check every starting QB by hand (at least not right now...maybe I will later this evening), but looking at 2016 where a handy article did my work for me, that would have been tied for the 29th best college QB win % in the NFL with Trevor Seimian ahead of Jay Cutler and Brock Osweiler (of starting QBs at whatever point the article was written). I'm not saying it hurts recruiting, I'm just not sure how much it improves it. Daniel Jones appears to possibly be the most talented QB to have played football at Duke, and if that should prove to be the case I think his time would reasonably be seen as a bit of a missed opportunity because we didn't have the pieces in place around him to capitalize (and we have had those pieces in the past so it isn't impossible for us to do so, we just didn't).

Hearing Duke and Cut referenced in the increased coverage of DJ certainly raises our visibility, which is important and will help, but f you're watching a lot of various sports media, a lot of the reaction now has been "well of course we didn't realize Jones was that good, who was watching Duke?" along with the "well he didn't show out much in college because he didn't have any weapons" which aren't exactly ringing endorsements of the program.

budwom
09-24-2019, 01:37 PM
I think the problem is, that while people have learned that "Duke isn't lousy," the top dozen or so QBs each year fancy themselves at more traditional football powers....we all know who they are...to me it's analogous to top 25 basketball recruits: no, VT and FSU and Auburn are not lousy hoop schools, but the very top guys gravitate to schools like Duke, Kentucky and their ilk. So it just doesn't surprise me that much when QBs we make inroads with end up at places like tOSU, Penn State, USC (the real one), on and on.

Bob Green
09-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Scott Rich has an article on the offense posted on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/9/30/20889425/duke-football-is-backwards-and-thats-good-news-quentin-harris-david-cutcliffe

Back in the 90’s-era Big Ten they would call that strategy “playing backwards”: passing early to open up the run, rather than running to open up the pass.

Give it a read and discuss.

Bob Green
09-30-2019, 03:47 PM
ACC announced game times for October 12 today:

http://theacc.com/news/2019/9/30/acc-announces-football-game-times-networks-for-october-12.aspx

Georgia Tech at Duke, 12:30 pm, RSN

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Scott Rich has an article on the offense posted on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/9/30/20889425/duke-football-is-backwards-and-thats-good-news-quentin-harris-david-cutcliffe

Give it a read and discuss.

It struck me you might not agree......with the idea of passing to set up the run.

Bob Green
09-30-2019, 04:24 PM
It struck me you might not agree...with the idea of passing to set up the run.

I'm certainly a fan of running to set up the pass* but I cannot argue with Friday night's results after the offense went 5 wide and opened things up.

* I recently read something about the five most annoying sports fan. The other four have left my memory but I certainly thought of myself when reading, "The football fan who constantly states we have to establish the running game."

OldPhiKap
09-30-2019, 04:44 PM
* I recently read something about the five most annoying sports fan. The other four have left my memory but I certainly thought of myself when reading, "The football fan who constantly states we have to establish the running game."

If people are annoyed by you being right, just wear the mantle proudly.

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2019, 05:03 PM

http://theacc.com/news/2019/9/30/acc-announces-football-game-times-networks-for-october-12.aspx

poop

scottdude8
09-30-2019, 05:09 PM
I'm certainly a fan of running to set up the pass* but I cannot argue with Friday night's results after the offense went 5 wide and opened things up.

Appreciate the free advertising of my work Bob :)

I think you're right that a majority of football teams ideally want to run to set up the pass... after all, there's a reason that's been the mantra for so long. I just found it particularly interesting the dichotomy in how Duke's offense played against Bama and in the first quarter against Va Tech, and how it played in the other 9 quarters of action this year. Q followed up a 12/22 for 97 yard effort against Bama with two stellar efforts that, while against inferior opponents, you can't overlook (heck, compare Q's numbers against MTSU on the road with how Michigan's Shea Patterson did against them at home and you'll see that his performance was a very positive sign). And in both those games we let him be aggressive (at least from what I could read, I couldn't get either game up in Canada, haha). Once again Friday, Q seemed to perform better in the spread and when we aggressively attacked downfield early, i.e. "playing backwards", than he did when we tried to run it more traditionally on early downs.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cut wants to "play forwards" and run to set up the pass. But that may just not be what the identity/personnel of this team is. As amazing of a job the staff has done upping the caliber of recruits we get and developing them, we are going to be at a size/strength deficit up front against many of our ACC opponents, which means we may have to get creative. "Playing backwards" may be the way to do that. Regardless, it'll be interesting to monitor that storyline as the season progresses.

Bob Green
09-30-2019, 05:24 PM

You're welcome.

Quentin Harris has been outstanding so far. Offensive MVP, hands down! My only concern is he is running too much because that increases his odds of being injured.

I'll concede the whole "pass to set up the run" instead of "run to set up the pass" debate but I really, really desire to see more running yards being gained by our running backs. A team with their quarterback as the leading rusher is a team skating on thin ice. I'm not advocating QH stop running, I'm advocating QH stop running so much.

Please, please be healthy and cleared to play Brittain Brown.

devildeac
09-30-2019, 05:27 PM
poop

If that's on the tailgate menu, that day or any day, I'll bring Bojangles...,

:rolleyes:

duke2x
09-30-2019, 05:37 PM

That isn't a surprise. The new ACC contract didn't get rid of all public cable; at least 1 FSS noon game per week is still required. Neither Duke nor GT is playing at noon this week, and they like to rotate game times when possible.

I will reserve judgment whether this GT group (1-3) is worse than our Hall of Fame Bowl year (1-10) until 10/13/19. I just hope we don't celebrate the 25th anniversary season of the 1 successful quick kick in Duke history with another one. :eek:

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2019, 06:22 PM

I think you're right that a majority of football teams ideally want to run to set up the pass... after all, there's a reason that's been the mantra for so long. I just found it particularly interesting the dichotomy in how Duke's offense played against Bama and in the first quarter against Va Tech, and how it played in the other 9 quarters of action this year. Q followed up a 12/22 for 97 yard effort against Bama with two stellar efforts that, while against inferior opponents, you can't overlook (heck, compare Q's numbers against MTSU on the road with how Michigan's Shea Patterson did against them at home and you'll see that his performance was a very positive sign). And in both those games we let him be aggressive (at least from what I could read, I couldn't get either game up in Canada, haha). Once again Friday, Q seemed to perform better in the spread and when we aggressively attacked downfield early, i.e. "playing backwards", than he did when we tried to run it more traditionally on early downs.

It wouldn't surprise me if Cut wants to "play forwards" and run to set up the pass. But that may just not be what the identity/personnel of this team is. As amazing of a job the staff has done upping the caliber of recruits we get and developing them, we are going to be at a size/strength deficit up front against many of our ACC opponents, which means we may have to get creative. "Playing backwards" may be the way to do that. Regardless, it'll be interesting to monitor that storyline as the season progresses.

Agree...and not only is Duke's identity one to use the pass to set up the run identity...it's a use the long pass early to open up all the other passes identity too IMO. QH throws deep balls very well, and you don't even had to complete a long throw to open things up underneath. He mastered throwing balls with air under them faster than he did more line drive throws. But he looks good on all this season.

But early, I like to see "bombs away" -

chrishoke
09-30-2019, 06:47 PM
You're welcome.

Quentin Harris has been outstanding so far. Offensive MVP, hands down! My only concern is he is running too much because that increases his odds of being injured.

I'll concede the whole "pass to set up the run" instead of "run to set up the pass" debate but I really, really desire to see more running yards being gained by our running backs. A team with their quarterback as the leading rusher is a team skating on thin ice. I'm not advocating QH stop running, I'm advocating QH stop running so much.

Please, please be healthy and cleared to play Brittain Brown.

I think the VPI game is an outlier. VPI has traditionally under Bud Foster has been very susceptible to the QB run. I think we will see Q run less in most remaining games.

arnie
09-30-2019, 07:12 PM
I think the VPI game is an outlier. VPI has traditionally under Bud Foster has been very susceptible to the QB run. I think we will see Q run less in most remaining games.

Yea that’s what Zach Asack thought in 2008 against VPI. We ran 49 plays on O, 24 were Asack QB runs. Of course when we’re 2 of 9 passing including a pick 6, maybe not a bad strategy.��

chrishoke
09-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Yea that’s what Zach Asack thought in 2008 against VPI. We ran 49 plays on O, 24 were Asack QB runs. Of course when we’re 2 of 9 passing including a pick 6, maybe not a bad strategy.��

Talk about an outlier. :D

Jim3k
09-30-2019, 08:14 PM
For those, including Scott, who are suggesting that Duke's early attempt to run the ball was unimaginative and unlikely to have succeeded where a passing play or two would have, I think you are ignoring the lesson of field position.

Remember, as someone (maybe Knute Rockne) once said: Only three things can happen when you attempt a forward pass, and two of them are bad.

When you have awful field position early in the game, as we did, an interception surely would have resulted in a gobbler TD--via a pick six or a short drive. An early Hokie TD off a turnover would have changed the nature of the game. Wallace Wade and Bill Murray would have known it, and CarlFranksTedRoofTomHarp (and any of our worst coaches) would have also known it; Cut surely knew it. So the Cut/Roper decision to run early was dictated by field position, nothing more.

We needed to flip the field and eventually the fumble recovery did exactly that (Thank you, Koby Quansah); the team in white found themselves in awful field position. Suddenly, we had the advantage and the Vippies no longer did. One play later (a pass) and we were on our way. We went from 0-3 to 7-3 in a quarter where the home team seemed to have dominated, but instead were now on the short end. That pass should not have surprised VPI, much less anyone else. The likelihood of a pass call jumped from zero percent to about 50 percent, based simply on the yardline from which the ball was snapped--especially to an accomplished RPO quarterback named Q.

Field position management and good coaching won that quarter.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Remember, as someone (maybe Knute Rockne) once said: Only three things can happen when you attempt a forward pass, and two of them are bad.

That quote is way way beyond it's sell by date. Even Oklahoma and Ohio State air it out now.

killerleft
09-30-2019, 09:19 PM
For those, including Scott, who are suggesting that Duke's early attempt to run the ball was unimaginative and unlikely to have succeeded where a passing play or two would have, I think you are ignoring the lesson of field position.

When you have awful field position early in the game, as we did, an interception surely would have resulted in a gobbler TD--via a pick six or a short drive. An early Hokie TD off a turnover would have changed the nature of the game. Wallace Wade and Bill Murray would have known it, and CarlFranksTedRoofTomHarp (and any of our worst coaches) would have also known it; Cut surely knew it. So the Cut/Roper decision to run early was dictated by field position, nothing more.

We needed to flip the field and eventually the fumble recovery did exactly that (Thank you, Koby Quansah); the team in white found themselves in awful field position. Suddenly, we had the advantage and the Vippies no longer did. One play later (a pass) and we were on our way. We went from 0-3 to 7-3 in a quarter where the home team seemed to have dominated, but instead were now on the short end. That pass should not have surprised VPI, much less anyone else. The likelihood of a pass call jumped from zero percent to about 50 percent, based simply on the yardline from which the ball was snapped--especially to an accomplished RPO quarterback named Q.

Field position management and good coaching won that quarter.

So, what you are saying, Jim, is that field position turned Coach Cut into a Knute?

devildeac
09-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Only 24 Asack runs :rolleyes:?

You also overlooked/omitted the fact that he completed more passes to VT players than his own with 4 INT :eek::mad:.

Still trying to forget that game.

devildeac
09-30-2019, 09:20 PM
So, what you are saying, Jim, is that field position turned Coach Cut into a Knute?

But, he got better...

DU82
09-30-2019, 09:42 PM
Only 24 Asack runs :rolleyes:?

You also overlooked/omitted the fact that he completed more passes to VT players than his own with 4 INT :eek::mad:.

Still trying to forget that game.

But he was tall.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2019, 09:43 PM
But he was tall.

And his hair was perfect.

Jim3k
09-30-2019, 10:14 PM
But, he Cut better...

FIFY

sagegrouse
09-30-2019, 11:08 PM
That quote is way way beyond it's sell by date. Even Oklahoma and Ohio State air it out now.

Actually, judging by the ridiculous penalty calls in the Giants-Redskins games, five things can happen -- reception, incompletion, interception, plus offensive and defensive pass interference. I think a lot of long passes, especially in the NFL, are thrown with the conscious realization that the offense might draw an interference penalty. College less so, 'cuz the PI penalty is maxed at 15 yards.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'I tend to sympathize with the defensive backs, who seem to get these ridiculous ticky-tack calls -- the Giants-Redskins calls seemed to be the worst'

richmclean
09-30-2019, 11:39 PM
Plus offensive and defensive holding but carry on.

scottdude8
10-01-2019, 09:27 AM

Man, what a memory... that was my freshman year back when I was naively optimistic about everything Duke football. I remember watching the ESPN gamecast (since the game wasn't on the dorm TV) and being like, "Oh my god, we're in this against Va. Tech... they keep giving us chances... come on let's make our mark guys!" And every time I would think that Asack would throw the ball to the other team.

What an example of how far we've come as a program in 11 years!

Bob Green
10-07-2019, 03:37 PM
The ACC announced October 19 game times today:

http://theacc.com/news/2019/10/7/acc-announces-football-game-times-networks-for-october-19.aspx

Clemson at Louisville, Noon, ABC
Georgia Tech at Miami, Noon, ACCN
NC State at Boston College, Noon, RSN
Duke at Virginia, 3:30 p.m., ACCN
North Carolina at Virginia Tech, 3:30 p.m., RSN
Florida State at Wake Forest, 7:30 p.m., ACCN

devildeac
10-14-2019, 04:28 PM
10/26 game posted for 4:00 PM Duke @ the cheats on ACC Network Extra.

arnie
10-14-2019, 04:38 PM
10/26 game posted for 4:00 PM Duke @ the cheats on ACC Network Extra.

Is that the channel no one can get?🤬

Bob Green
10-14-2019, 04:40 PM
ACC website says game coverage is on RSN:

http://theacc.com/news/2019/10/14/acc-announces-football-game-times-networks-for-october-26.aspx

devildeac
10-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Is that the channel no one can get?🤬

ACC website says game coverage is on RSN:

http://theacc.com/news/2019/10/14/acc-announces-football-game-times-networks-for-october-26.aspx

Beats the stuffing out of me, arnie :confused:.

Here's where I found the info:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/1/acc-conference

Hopefully, the far better informed Bob Green has more reliable info than me. :confused:

arnie
10-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Beats the stuffing out of me, arnie :confused:.

Here's where I found the info:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/1/acc-conference

Hopefully, the far better informed Bob Green has more reliable info than me. :confused:

Thanks! If it’s also on RSN, I can pick it up, not so sure about others outside of NC.

chrishoke
10-21-2019, 06:54 PM
https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/21/duke-adds-collins-as-football-analyst.aspx

I thought Jim was already on the football staff.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-21-2019, 07:37 PM
https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/21/duke-adds-collins-as-football-analyst.aspx

I thought Jim was already on the football staff.
He left to join the staff of the short-lived professional team Steve Spurrier was coaching.

Bob Green
10-27-2019, 08:26 AM
We are 4-4 headed into the 2nd Bye Week. The team is going to have to dig deep to find two more wins in the last four games.

I really thought the offense would be a strong running team this year. The indicators were there with talented running backs behind an offensive line with decent experience and some exciting youngsters. The passing game would be a work in progress.

Perhaps I allowed my optimism to get the best of me as I have a tendency to do.

The offense is broke starting with the inability to run the ball. We gained 2.7 yards per attempt yesterday. That is horrible. On pass plays, we gained 5.3 yards per attempt. Again, that is horrible.

The coaching staff has hard work ahead to fix the offense for the stretch run.

BlueDevil16
10-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Basically going to be 4-5 with 2 wins needed vs Miami, Cuse, and Wake.

Devil549
10-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Bob I agree seems the running game not as strong as we had hoped before the season. I thought passing game was better yesterday when QH did not get happy feet, of course getting sacked a few times tends to give you happy feet.

Also seems the game missing injuries are adding up; Baker, Hill and Blackwell DNP yesterday.

Finally it has become a 4 game season hoping for at least 2-2 but will gladly take 4-0😎

BlueDevil16
10-27-2019, 08:57 AM
Bob I agree seems the running game not as strong as we had hoped before the season. I thought passing game was better yesterday when QH did not get happy feet, of course getting sacked a few times tends to give you happy feet.

Also seems the game missing injuries are adding up; Baker, Hill and Blackwood DNP yesterday.

Finally it has become a 4 game season hoping for at least 2-2 but will gladly take 4-0😎

Let’s be realistic. It’s a 3 game season where we need to go 2-1. We aren’t beating a top 15 ND team.

Devil549
10-27-2019, 09:04 AM
I guess we should just play the 3/4 deep then😎

Of course we will be big underdogs to ND but they are next on the schedule and I expect Duke to compete.

budwom
10-27-2019, 09:30 AM
there is no convincing reason to think the offense will improve given current game coaching and strategy...the stated goal preseason was to run at least four yards/carry and we aren't getting that done in the meat of our schedule.

arnie
10-27-2019, 10:00 AM
Let’s be realistic. It’s a 3 game season where we need to go 2-1. We aren’t beating a top 15 ND team.

Syracuse has only 3 wins: Liberty, Holy Cross and Western Michigan. We play them at home; this is a must win.

The Miami and WF games are tricky, but could win one of those. Not all is lost yet, but the O has to get it together.

YmoBeThere
10-27-2019, 10:40 AM
Notre Dame got clobbered by Michigan looking at the scoreboard. We might have a better chance than most think.

BlueDevil16
10-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Syracuse has only 3 wins: Liberty, Holy Cross and Western Michigan. We play them at home; this is a must win.

The Miami and WF games are tricky, but could win one of those. Not all is lost yet, but the O has to get it together.

That’s fair. And they got clobbered by Maryland. Miami and WF are tossups and really need at least one win there. Does a 5-7 team go bowling this year?

Reilly
10-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Duke (#48) with a 24.1% chance of victory right now over ND (#14) per espn pri: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=150&year=2019

Duke w/ a greater than 50% chance of victory over Syr and Miami ....

Overall, Duke projected w/ 5.9 wins ...

As soon as we get our next win (either ND or Syr) life will be good again as we will then be focused on just one more for a bowl ...

devildeac
10-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Notre Dame got clobbered by Michigan looking at the scoreboard. We might have a better chance than most think.

A nice silver lining to a rather large, dark cloud at this point. I thought this last PM and again this AM but was too disappointed (readers may substitute a more expressive/emotional word here:mad:) to post. Thanks for a bit of illumination.

AGDukesky
10-27-2019, 11:17 AM

I’d argue the opposite. In these situations, it seems we are the ones who don’t show up and the team that underperformed comes out on fire.

HereBeforeCoachK
10-27-2019, 11:51 AM
I’d argue the opposite. In these situations, it seems we are the ones who don’t show up and the team that underperformed comes out on fire.

There's a game in between for ND....it's the Hokies that get the angry ND team next week.

budwom
10-27-2019, 12:38 PM
There is a postseason pulse, but an amazingly weak one...

devildeac
10-27-2019, 01:06 PM
There is a postseason pulse, but an amazingly weak one...

And likely in the 5-7 beats per minute range, if that :mad:.

Reilly
10-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Per the SRS (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-ratings.html), here are P5 teams ranked lower than Duke and with the same or worse overall record as Duke.

#45 Duke 4-4
-------------------
#47 Miss St 3-5
#50 KY 4-4
#52 Nebraska 4-4
#57 Miami 4-4
#58 Cal 4-4
#59 UCLA 3-5
#60 South Carolina 3-5
#61 Stanford 4-4
#62 Ole Miss 3-5
#64 Tennessee 3-5
#66 Oregon St 3-4
#68 Colorado 3-5
#70 Texas Tech 3-5
#71 BC 4-4
#74 Illini 4-4
#76 Arizona 4-4
#78 Maryland 3-5
#79 Syracuse 3-5
#80 Purdue 2-6
#82 Northwestern 1-6
#93 Kansas 3-5
#98 Arkansas 2-6
#99 WVU 3-4
#111 GT 2-5
#118 Vandy 2-5
#119 Rutgers 2-6

There are 65 teams in the P5 + ND; 26 are worse than Duke football right now per this metric (ranked lower in SRS + same/worse overall record).

killerleft
10-27-2019, 01:57 PM

Being realistic, ND is not a top echelon team. So, I think we can compete with them IF we don't make the unforced mistakes that seem to plague us this year.