07-26-2019, 03:29 PM
You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article233109613.html

sagegrouse
07-26-2019, 03:38 PM
You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article233109613.html

I think we can quote this short piece:

The ACC Network and UNC announced that the school’s basketball program will be featured on the network in a multi-part series that chronicles its 2019-20 basketball season. It’s expected to start airing in October.

The network will follow practices, games, team bonding activities, pick-up games and Late Night with Roy for the show.

The network will follow the team for the entire regular season. Cameras have already begun filming for the show, Steve Kirschner, a UNC spokesperson said Thursday. UNC has held a handful of basketball practices this offseason.

Please spare me the "team bonding activities." Are they helping each other with take-home tests?

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Heh heh... couldn’t get ESPN to do a series with them so filmed their own. Roy probably sends himself anonymous presents on his birthday as well.

bullettoothtony
07-26-2019, 03:46 PM
I'm sure there was no collusion between Swoff and the UNC brass about this. Just a natural, perfect opportunity for the network to highlight the most reputable program in the conference.

budwom
07-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Yet another indication that they'll be lacking content, at least initially...lots of secondary/tertiary games plus pap like this.

I think they announced 450 live events in year one, which is but an event or two per day during the school year. I don't expect it to be riveting, nor do I expect many Duke hoop games.
Maybe some baseball, more lax would be appreciated.

devildeac
07-26-2019, 05:15 PM
And why would other coaches/AD/schools agree to/put up with that #$%@ ?

BlueDevil16
07-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Isn’t this just like the ESPN+ series about Duke last season? Doesn’t seem like a big deal, it was clear they’d move onto another school this year.

TKG
07-26-2019, 05:52 PM
More me-tooism from the folks at Orange County Community College....

HereBeforeCoachK
07-26-2019, 06:28 PM
It's demographics, pure and simple, and the need for solid ratings in their first season as a network. With a national footprint, the ACCN might've featured Duke....with an ACC footprint, there are very likely more Cheat fans than any other team.....in BB.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-27-2019, 12:42 AM
Isn’t this just like the ESPN+ series about Duke last season? Doesn’t seem like a big deal, it was clear they’d move onto another school this year.

Watch yourself with talk like this!

*grabs his pitchfork*

/s

arnie
07-27-2019, 08:55 AM
And why would other coaches/AD/schools agree to/put up with that #$%@ ?

That’s the part I don’t get. Guess Swofford has hypnotized all the ADs? The NCSU coaches should be furious, but not a peep.

UrinalCake
07-27-2019, 09:06 AM

It does seem different to me when the ACC themselves are producing the show, rather than ESPN. It reeks of favoritism towards UNC from the conference, which is already run by one of their alums. Although I suppose you could argue that ESPN and the ACC Network are the same thing. Also the Duke series was only through the summer and preseason, whereas this one goes through the entire season.

UrinalCake
07-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Please spare me the "team bonding activities." Are they helping each other with take-home tests?

Nah, they’ve got tutors to take their tests for them. But lots of bonding will occur when they drive over to the tutor’s house in Fats’s high-end rental car to pick up their papers, as detailed by McCants. They’ll also bond over jumping off frat house balconies into a swimming pool.

DevilHorse
07-28-2019, 09:53 AM
Actually, I was thinking that we should have a new thread that is intended as a Feedback Loop with the ACC Network.

If the people at the ACC Network want to be a Beta Site for programming, then they will want to have:
+ Fast Feedback with their constituent School (Alumni base) audience on how they are doing
+ Mine their collective heads for ideas, general and specific, for programming (things consumers want to consume - how novel)
+ Provide pointed answers back to their audience to questions that have cropped up

With websites like DBR no doubt available for each of the ACC's teams, a responsible thread can be created here, or (eventually) on the ACC Network website for interactions. Although, I would think that they would get a more candid and measured view from this website :p

To start the flow of ideas, I would have a couple of things I would want to hear about:
+ Before the Network comes online, My cable company provides the Big 10 network for Free. It provides the SEC Network for Pay. It has signed to provide the ACC Network. I don't know which model is going to be used on my cable company, although I'd like to see former and would be encouraged to stick with a pay format only if there was superior programming. I have more than enough stuff to watch on TV. I already work a full week. I get 3 streaming services, I have multiple Pro Sports Franchises that I am a fan of, and I get TVG!!! (the Horse Racing Network); I can bet Australia, Asia, and European racing 24 hours a day (can you beat Harness Racing from Solvalla?).
+ I would love to see programming from all of the ACC constituent schools about Olympic hopefuls to look out for in the trials that are happening, even now. Perhaps even for events like the World Championships in Track and Field (DOHA Qatar Start End of Sept 2019). There are tons of great athletes from other schools that I would definitely look for and root for, if only I knew they were there. The Pan Am games are going on now, with lots of athletes, either committed to ACC Schools or going to our schools; how did they do?

Create a Thread for communicating with the ACC Network, and give those guys credentials to interact with us, and then maybe we will have a real skin in the game.

Larry
DevilHorse
and Hopeful ACC Network recipient (and if need be, subscriber) in a few weeks

roywhite
07-28-2019, 10:29 AM
FWIW, the BTN network, now in existence for over 10 years has been a big success for the B1G conference. To this day, one of the biggest complaints I see from fans/subscribers is about how much coverage Ohio State and Michigan football get, and how often their past rivalry games are shown.

I'd look for the new ACC Network to feature plenty of Duke -- UNC basketball classics from previous years.

OldPhiKap
07-28-2019, 10:39 AM
I think this is great news. Even more UNC content I can consciously and contemptuously ignore.

9F ‘em.

arnie
07-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Actually, I was thinking that we should have a new thread that is intended as a Feedback Loop with the ACC Network.

If the people at the ACC Network want to be a Beta Site for programming, then they will want to have:
+ Fast Feedback with their constituent School (Alumni base) audience on how they are doing
+ Mine their collective heads for ideas, general and specific, for programming (things consumers want to consume - how novel)
+ Provide pointed answers back to their audience to questions that have cropped up

With websites like DBR no doubt available for each of the ACC's teams, a responsible thread can be created here, or (eventually) on the ACC Network website for interactions. Although, I would think that they would get a more candid and measured view from this website :p

To start the flow of ideas, I would have a couple of things I would want to hear about:
+ Before the Network comes online, My cable company provides the Big 10 network for Free. It provides the SEC Network for Pay. It has signed to provide the ACC Network. I don't know which model is going to be used on my cable company, although I'd like to see former and would be encouraged to stick with a pay format only if there was superior programming. I have more than enough stuff to watch on TV. I already work a full week. I get 3 streaming services, I have multiple Pro Sports Franchises that I am a fan of, and I get TVG!!! (the Horse Racing Network); I can bet Australia, Asia, and European racing 24 hours a day (can you beat Harness Racing from Solvalla?).
+ I would love to see programming from all of the ACC constituent schools about Olympic hopefuls to look out for in the trials that are happening, even now. Perhaps even for events like the World Championships in Track and Field (DOHA Qatar Start End of Sept 2019). There are tons of great athletes from other schools that I would definitely look for and root for, if only I knew they were there. The Pan Am games are going on now, with lots of athletes, either committed to ACC Schools or going to our schools; how did they do?

Create a Thread for communicating with the ACC Network, and give those guys credentials to interact with us, and then maybe we will have a real skin in the game.

Larry
DevilHorse
and Hopeful ACC Network recipient (and if need be, subscriber) in a few weeks

Wow, some actual thought given to what the ACC network should be and how to make it fan friendly. I’d vote you in as ACC commissioner but the stodgy AD’s wouldn’t stand for it.

Not beat a dead horse, but I will😀; to my knowledge only the Notre Dame AD ever indicated any displeasure with the 20+ year UNCheat academic scandal. Swofford and his chronies covered it up nationally as best they could. I seriously doubt the ACC powers will do anything innovative with the network that doesn’t immediately increase $$$.

DevilHorse
07-28-2019, 11:47 AM
FWIW, the BTN network, now in existence for over 10 years has been a big success for the B1G conference. To this day, one of the biggest complaints I see from fans/subscribers is about how much coverage Ohio State and Michigan football get, and how often their past rivalry games are shown.

I'd look for the new ACC Network to feature plenty of Duke -- UNC basketball classics from previous years.

That brings up interesting ideas of what should have more weight? Games that:
1) Are more heavily attended?
2) Rivalry games (every school has them)?
3) Are the result of mythology created by the schools or the media (i.e., the game for the Little Brown Jug [Michigan vs. Minnesota], game for the Bell [Duke vs. UNC], etc..)
4) Commercial Success (any Duke BBall game, Clemson vs. FSU football, Duke/UNC Basketball)
5) Most competitive Game
6) Most consequential game in the standings or playoff implications

Many of the above are closely vectored (i.e., 1 & 2 are almost synonymous).

My preference would be: 5, 6, 2, 3, 1, 4. Of course, with a Duke tint.

And I would really like to see the weekly coaches show on the network, even at night, so I could DVR it!!

Larry
DevilHorse

duke2x
07-28-2019, 12:28 PM
This is a good reason not to worry if I don't get the ACCN for 2 months/year.

YmoBeThere
07-28-2019, 01:20 PM

I got so feed up with having to take the BTN and subsidize those athletic programs that I moved to Texas and cut the cord.

PackMan97
07-29-2019, 10:17 AM
I will not sign up for the ACCN. I will not have a TV plan that offers the ACCN.

Amazingly, none of it has anything to do with the extra coverage it is giving to UNC. However, the extra UNC coverage is my cover story in order to remain a credible Tarheel Hater.

Did anyone expect any less from 'ol Swoffie?

OldPhiKap
07-29-2019, 10:59 AM
I will not sign up for the ACCN. I will not have a TV plan that offers the ACCN.

Amazingly, none of it has anything to do with the extra coverage it is giving to UNC. However, the extra UNC coverage is my cover story in order to remain a credible Tarheel Hater.

To be fair, it's not like they have a defending National Championship program in the conference to follow or anything.

budwom
07-29-2019, 12:46 PM
I have DirecTV and imagine that ACCN will probably be included in one of the sports packages I currently subscribe to. If not, I doubt I'll pay even more for it, and doubt many will.

brevity
07-29-2019, 04:20 PM

To be fair, it's not like they have a defending National Championship program in the conference to follow or anything.

JOHN SWOFFORD: I am proud to announce that, to celebrate the start of the network that is dedicated to this great conference, we will be placing a spotlight on a program that represents national championship caliber excellence.

REPORTER #1: Clemson football?

SWOFFORD: No.

REPORTER #2: Virginia basketball?

REPORTER #3: Oh! Virginia lacrosse!

SWOFFORD: No, not them either. We will be taking a close look at Carolina basketball.

REPORTER #1: South Carolina?

SWOFFORD: No, South Carolina left the ACC years ago.

REPORTER #2: Can we bring them back?

REPORTER #3: Yeah, and maybe do your ACC Network special on that instead!

SWOFFORD: Wait, who are you guys? Where are the regular reporters?

REPORTER #1: Out golfing with Roy.

SWOFFORD: Damn! I need to start waking up before 3pm.

plimnko
07-29-2019, 04:28 PM
I'm sure there was no collusion between Swoff and the UNC brass about this. Just a natural, perfect opportunity for the network to highlight the most reputable program in the conference.

not expecting a lot of classroom footage

OldPhiKap
07-29-2019, 04:41 PM
JOHN SWOFFORD: I am proud to announce that, to celebrate the start of the network that is dedicated to this great conference, we will be placing a spotlight on a program that represents national championship caliber excellence.

REPORTER #1: Clemson football?

REPORTER #2: Virginia basketball?

REPORTER #3: Oh! Virginia lacrosse!

SWOFFORD: No, not them either. We will be taking a close look at Carolina basketball.

REPORTER #1: South Carolina?

SWOFFORD: No, South Carolina left the ACC years ago.

REPORTER #2: Can we bring them back?

REPORTER #3: Yeah, and maybe do your ACC Network special on that instead!

SWOFFORD: Wait, who are you guys? Where are the regular reporters?

REPORTER #1: Out golfing with Roy.

SWOFFORD: Damn! I need to start waking up before 3pm.

Brevity, as always, nails it.

devildeac
07-29-2019, 04:41 PM
not expecting a lot of classroom footage

I dunno. This might work: