PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite "Duke Trivia"?

Teton Jack
07-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Mine was covered today by Jim Sumner. Thanks, Jim, for article on Steve Vacendak, my favorite Duke player of the late Bubas era. Unfortunately, you told everyone the answer to my favorite Duke trivia. I'll need something fresh to wow the grandkids. So, what are your favorite Duke trivia tidbits?

Teton Jack

jimsumner
07-24-2019, 11:17 AM
I'll give the board one. Without looking it up name the only K-era Duke basketball player to be voted first-team All-ACC three times.

fuse
07-24-2019, 11:28 AM
In the first Coach K charity event held at Duke outside Cameron in 2001 to raise money for the Emily K Family Life Center, who was the only person to bid on the live auction autographed Laettner Wizards jersey?

Bonus question: the follow up event in 2002 was a roast of Coach K hosted by Jay Bilas at the Carolina Theatre in downtown Durham.
What parting gift was each attendee given?

robed deity
07-24-2019, 11:28 AM
I'll give the board one. Without looking it up name the only K-era Duke basketball player to be voted first-team All-ACC three times.

Wow! Definitely didn't get that. Wouldn't have been my second guess either.

bundabergdevil
07-24-2019, 11:32 AM

My gut says Jason Williams...maybe Shelden Williams.

Ok, going to look it up.

bullettoothtony
07-24-2019, 11:32 AM

Was it Langdon?

sagegrouse
07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Lessee... JD? Ferry? Not Laettner or Hurley. Hill? JJ? Singler? After that's it's easy -- nope!

I would say JJ or Singler.

Now I'm gonna look it up.

Hah!

Tripping William
07-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Was it Langdon?

This was the name I was thinking.

jimsumner
07-24-2019, 11:47 AM
It was indeed Trajan Langdon.

Truth&Justise
07-24-2019, 11:56 AM
In the first Coach K charity event held at Duke outside Cameron in 2001 to raise money for the Emily K Family Life Center, who was the only person to bid on the live auction autographed Laettner Wizards jersey?

Was it you?

unclsam1
07-24-2019, 12:02 PM
In mid 1960s saw Pistol Pete play for Edwards Military Institute in Cameron against our freshman BB team.

sagegrouse
07-24-2019, 12:11 PM
It was indeed Trajan Langdon.

Let's put it another way. Duke has had 18 first-team All-Americans under Coach K. He has only had one player make first-team All-ACC three times. That player was not one of the 18.

brevity
07-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Mine was covered today by Jim Sumner. Thanks, Jim, for article on Steve Vacendak, my favorite Duke player of the late Bubas era. Unfortunately, you told everyone the answer to my favorite Duke trivia. I'll need something fresh to wow the grandkids. So, what are your favorite Duke trivia tidbits?

Teton Jack

For posterity, Teton Jack is referring to this front page article (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/7/24/20708123/the-most-inexplicable-all-acc-vote-that-ever-happened-part-ii-steve-vacendak).

Trivia, huh? I do Halftime Trivia during in-game chats. Generally, the kinds of questions I ask are of the rapid-fire, multiple-answer, group-brainstorm variety, kind of like the Red Light Challenge on TV's Cash Cab. Time is of the essence, and the lack of permanence encourages guessing, so that format doesn't really work in a thread.

But here are a few questions that might (some are repeated from past in-game chats):

1. Who is the only second-generation Duke men's basketball player on the current roster?

2. According to RealGM, who was the only former Duke player to appear in all 82 games of his team's 2018-2019 NBA regular season?

3. Who is the last Duke player to be named to an All-Region team in an NCAA Tournament despite Duke losing in the Sweet 16 round?

4. Related to the question that started this thread: Steve Vacendak was one of four Duke players to be named ACC Player of the Year prior to Coach K's hiring. Name the other three.

5. Okay, one more multiple-answer question: Duke holds the longest streak of consecutive ACC Tournament championships, winning from 1999 to 2003, and five different Duke players were named tournament MVP. Name them.

uh_no
07-24-2019, 12:41 PM
duke's best three point shooter was a 6-10 245 center.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-24-2019, 01:01 PM
I heard someone quote a stat one time...that in his junior and senior years....in the second half of games....with Duke behind or the score tied...that Laettner hit 80% of his 3s in those specific situations. I know I heard that stat, and the person saying it was credible, but I can't swear it's the case.

If that's true, that's the most cold blooded stat I think I've ever heard. And if not true, it's still sooo Laettner-esque.

bullettoothtony
07-24-2019, 01:13 PM
In the K era, how many times have we had two first team All-Americans, and who were they?

As Jim said... no cheating!

chrishoke
07-24-2019, 01:33 PM
Who is the only player on a losing final four team to be named MVP of the final four?

mstein34
07-24-2019, 01:49 PM
In the K era, how many times have we had two first team All-Americans, and who were they?

As Jim said... no cheating!

Three, I believe...
Battier & Williams ‘01
Redick & Williams ‘06
RJ & Zion ‘19

Highlander
07-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Surprised these haven't been mentioned yet from the non-basketball side of the house:

"Has the Rose Bowl ever been played outside of the state of California? If so, when and where?"

"Has a college football team ever gone unbeaten, untied, and unscored-upon for an entire regular season? If so, whom?"

"What year and in what sport was Duke's first NCAA National championship?"

And on the basketball side of the house:

"Name the only NPOY award winners for Duke who have not also had their jersey retired."

Acymetric
07-24-2019, 03:04 PM

Marshall "Buckets" Plumlee.

jimsumner
07-24-2019, 03:16 PM
Who is the only player on a losing final four team to be named MVP of the final four?

What is a losing final four team? Three of four teams lose at least once in the FF. In the old days, one team lost twice.

In 1966 Utah's Jerry Chambers won MOP for a team that lost twice. Plenty of others were named MOP for teams that lost once, including Duke's Art Heyman in 1963. But he was not the first or last.

vfefrenzy
07-24-2019, 03:19 PM
"Has a college football team ever gone unbeaten, untied, and unscored-upon for an entire regular season? If so, whom?"

The 1939 University of Tennessee Volunteers under General Robert Neyland. GBO!

fuse
07-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Was it you?

Ha! Indeed, it was. 🙄😳

I had bid on a few things that evening in both the silent and live auction unsuccessfully, watching a lot of items go for several thousand dollars.

Debbie Savarino was the MC of the live auction, and I raised my hand for the opening bid. The Laettner Wizards jersey was the last auction item of the night.

Literally no one else bid, and I’ve never heard the crickets around Cameron chirp more loudly.

The insult to injury of the story is Laettner was not there, so the jersey was there, unsigned, and I had to return the next day to pick up and pay for the jersey. The only way it might have been worth it would have been if Laettner had been there to shake my hand and have a brief conversation.

At least I did get to spend a couple minutes chatting with Grant Hill the night before. That was a moment to remember.

bullettoothtony
07-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Three, I believe...
Battier & Williams ‘01
Redick & Williams ‘06
RJ & Zion ‘19

I believe you are correct!

chrishoke
07-24-2019, 03:36 PM
What is a losing final four team? Three of four teams lose at least once in the FF. In the old days, one team lost twice.

In 1966 Utah's Jerry Chambers won MOP for a team that lost twice. Plenty of others were named MOP for teams that lost once, including Duke's Art Heyman in 1963. But he was not the first or last.

Ooops. I have been shamed. Obviously I was thinking of our boy Art. My bad.

Teton Jack
07-24-2019, 04:20 PM
When I was at Duke - back in the dark ages - freshmen couldn't play varsity. As I understand it, only 1 freshman team ever went undefeated. No it wasn't David Thompson's year or Bobby Lewis or some UNC team before they started cheating. It was a Duke team. What year and who were the key players from that team?

jimsumner
07-24-2019, 04:29 PM
When I was at Duke - back in the dark ages - freshmen couldn't play varsity. As I understand it, only 1 freshman team ever went undefeated. No it wasn't David Thompson's year or Bobby Lewis or some UNC team before they started cheating. It was a Duke team. What year and who were the key players from that team?

Not sure if this was the only team but Duke's 1970 freshman team was undefeated. Alan Shaw, Gary Melchionni, Richie O'Connor, Jeff Dawson. Jim Fitzsimmons left at mid-season.

NC State's 1972 freshman team--David Thompson, Monte Towe, Tim Stoddard, Mark Moeller--did lose once, to a UNC team led by Ed Stahl and Brad Hoffman.

budwom
07-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Not sure if this was the only team but Duke's 1970 freshman team was undefeated. Alan Shaw, Gary Melchionni, Richie O'Connor, Jeff Dawson. Jim Fitzsimmons left at mid-season.

NC State's 1972 freshman team--David Thompson, Monte Towe, Tim Stoddard, Mark Moeller--did lose once, to a UNC team led by Ed Stahl and Brad Hoffman.

Coached by one Hubie Brown, which probably didn't hurt...(the 1970 Duke team)...O'Connor and Dawson sought greener pastures as well, as you know.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Three, I believe...
Battier & Williams ‘01
Redick & Williams ‘06
RJ & Zion ‘19

Was Jason there longer than I remember? Or did Sheldon show up earier than I recall?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-24-2019, 05:29 PM
The 1939 University of Tennessee Volunteers under General Robert Neyland. GBO!

1938 Duke University Team known as the Iron Dukes

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Who was the first person to participate in the Rose Bowl as a player and also as the coach of two different colleges?;)

Acymetric
07-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Was Jason there longer than I remember? Or did Sheldon show up earier than I recall?

'01 was Jason Williams' soph season.
'06 was Shelden Williams' senior season.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-24-2019, 06:17 PM
'01 was Jason Williams' soph season.
'06 was Shelden Williams' senior season.

*flat joke

MChambers
07-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Who was the only Division 1 team ever to shut out another team for an entire half, and who was the team who was shut out?

jimsumner
07-24-2019, 06:49 PM
1938 Duke University Team known as the Iron Dukes

Only in the regular season.

sagegrouse
07-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Ooops. I have been shamed. Obviously I was thinking of our boy Art. My bad.

The correct answer should be Art Heyman. This is a "DUKE TRIVIA QUIZ."

richmclean
07-24-2019, 07:35 PM
In mid 1960s saw Pistol Pete play for Edwards Military Institute in Cameron against our freshman BB team.

Watched Pistol for 3 years at LSU averaging mid-40s with no 3- pointers. Hands down most fun college player to watch ever. </grammar>.

roywhite
07-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Not a biggie, but I always enjoyed this one. Twelve year Major League baseball player (Dodgers, including 3 World Championships, and Cardinals) Wally Moon was named after?

roywhite
07-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Who was the first person to participate in the Rose Bowl as a player and also as the coach of two different colleges?;)

And didn't that individual also coach in the NFL? And work as a television broadcaster?

sagegrouse
07-24-2019, 08:32 PM

And didn't that individual also coach in the NFL? And work as a television broadcaster?

Well, I think the answer is Tommy Prothro, best known as coach of UCLA, who was a player on one of the Duke Rose Bowl teams. I won't look it up just yet, but before UCLA, maybe Prothro coached at Oregon?

HereBeforeCoachK
07-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Watched Pistol for 3 years at LSU averaging mid-40s with no 3- pointers. Hands down most fun college player to watch ever. </grammar>.

...until Zion (and I loved the Pistol....)

Teton Jack
07-24-2019, 10:38 PM

You got it.

Teton Jack
07-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Who was the only Division 1 team ever to shut out another team for an entire half, and who was the team who was shut out?

Duke led 7-0 at the half vs. UNC.

roywhite
07-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Duke led 7-0 at the half vs. UNC.

If I recall correctly, the Tarheels even failed to hit the rim the entire first half.

With one missed shot (by Chicky Yonakor) leading to the (first ever?) chant of Airball!

jimsumner
07-24-2019, 11:52 PM
In 1907 Trinity defeated Trinity Park 24-1, Littleton High School 62-1 and Guilford 20-1. And that was in a six-game season.

Trinity defeated Trinity Park by that same 24-1 score the following season.

My math could be off but I'm fairly certain that a scoreless half is implied by a one-point game. :)

BD80
07-25-2019, 07:24 AM

If I recall correctly, the Tarheels even failed to hit the rim the entire first half.

With one missed shot (by Chicky Yonakor) leading to the (first ever?) chant of Airball!

Technically, it was Dean Smith that prevented his team from scoring that half.

The Cam held about 8,000 back then? I am proud to be one of the 80,000 or so who claim to have been there to see history.

I was also lucky enough to be one of the 500,000 to have seen Franco Harris' "immaculate reception" in Three Rivers Stadium that held 50,000.

Indoor66
07-25-2019, 07:42 AM

The Cam held about 8,000 back then? I am proud to be one of the 80,000 or so who claim to have been there to see history.

I was also lucky enough to be one of the 500,000 to have seen Franco Harris' "immaculate reception" in Three Rivers Stadium that held 50,000.

Spanarkel
07-25-2019, 08:15 AM
Please name the only two players to have participated in both the NCAA FF and the World Series.

chrishoke
07-25-2019, 08:17 AM

I actually was there that day. It was Jim Spanarkel's senior day and I was a third year law student at UNC. I don't think I missed a Duke home game while I was at UNC. It was an easy drive back to Durham to go to the game with my dad. That was the day I lost all respect for Dean Smith. :mad:

Spanarkel
07-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Please name the only two players to have participated in both the NCAA FF and the World Series.

Small hint: they attended the same Midwestern high school, but one went West and one went East for college.

Sorry for no direct Duke ties to this question, though one of the players played in the ACC and Duke did play in one of the Final Fours involving the other player.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-25-2019, 08:27 AM
Small hint: they attended the same Midwestern high school, but one went West and one went East for college.

Lew Alcindor and, uh, Buddy Alcindor?

/got nuthin

Spanarkel
07-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Lew Alcindor and, uh, Buddy Alcindor?

/got nuthin

Thanks for trying!

Further hints: the FF appearances for these two players were 14 years apart.

BLPOG
07-25-2019, 11:05 AM
I can't help myself.

Who served the beer?

NSDukeFan
07-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Marshall "Buckets" Plumlee.

Who is the only Plumlee to have shot more than one 3-pointer and to have a 3-point shooting % less than 95%?

Highlander
07-25-2019, 11:26 AM
I can't help myself.

Who served the beer?

Better yet, which tire?

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Only in the regular season.
That's true. The original post did say regular season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Well, I think the answer is Tommy Prothro, best known as coach of UCLA, who was a player on one of the Duke Rose Bowl teams. I won't look it up just yet, but before UCLA, maybe Prothro coached at Oregon?

Wallace Wade played in the Rose Bowl (Brown University). Coached both Alabama and Duke in the Rose Bowl. I think he was the first to accomplish this. Tommy Prothro accomplished this later.

BLPOG
07-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Better yet, which tire?

One of my regrets as a Duke student is not taking one of his classes as an elective. In my defense, I only managed to take a single elective class in my whole Duke career. But it would have been cool to have had one of the same professors as my father.

Tom B.
07-25-2019, 12:04 PM

One of them is Kenny Lofton. He played in the Final Four for Arizona in 1988 and the World Series for the Cleveland Indians in 1995 and the San Francisco Giants in 2002.

Lofton narrowly missed playing in three more World Series. He was with the Chicago Cubs in 2003 when they were five outs away from clinching the pennant in Game Six of the NLCS, then imploded (the infamous Steve Bartman game) and eventually lost in seven games to the Marlins. He was with the New York Yankees in 2004 when they blew a 3-0 series lead and lost the ALCS to the Boston Red Sox. And he was with the Indians in 2007 (his last season in the majors) when they blew a 3-1 series lead and lost the ALCS to the Red Sox.

Not sure of the other.

Tom B.
07-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Back to the original premise of the thread. My favorite Duke trivia, which I've posted about here before, are Christian Laettner's career FG and FT percentages in NCAA Regional Final games (he played in four of them).

FG%: 91.18% (31-for-34)
FT%: 91.89% (34-for-37)

Tom B.
07-25-2019, 12:28 PM
One of them is Kenny Lofton. He played in the Final Four for Arizona in 1988 and the World Series for the Cleveland Indians in 1995 and the San Francisco Giants in 2002.

Lofton narrowly missed playing in three more World Series. He was with the Chicago Cubs in 2003 when they were five outs away from clinching the pennant in Game Six of the NLCS, then imploded (the infamous Steve Bartman game) and eventually lost in seven games to the Marlins. He was with the New York Yankees in 2004 when they blew a 3-0 series lead and lost the ALCS to the Boston Red Sox. And he was with the Indians in 2007 (his last season in the majors) when they blew a 3-1 series lead and lost the ALCS to the Red Sox.

Not sure of the other.

OK, I just looked up the other. Never would've gotten that one.

rsvman
07-25-2019, 12:46 PM
Not Duke related, but an interesting piece of trivia..... Who is the only person ever to be named a high school first-team All American in basketball, football, and baseball?

Highlander
07-25-2019, 12:56 PM
One of my regrets as a Duke student is not taking one of his classes as an elective. In my defense, I only managed to take a single elective class in my whole Duke career. But it would have been cool to have had one of the same professors as my father.

I took Chem 11 as a required class (aka Bonkistry). What was truly amazing was that each and every equation was memorized, and he did the same lecture 3x per day in the fall. My uncle had him, but since my dad was only at Duke for seminary he didn't venture into the Chemistry department. Dad and I did end up sharing a professor tho - Orval Wintermute. Dad had him for Hebrew in the late 60's, I had him for Old Testament roughly 30 years later.

rasputin
07-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Not Duke related, but an interesting piece of trivia.... Who is the only person ever to be named a high school first-team All American in basketball, football, and baseball?

Is it Dave Winfield?

jimsumner
07-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Coached by one Hubie Brown, which probably didn't hurt...(the 1970 Duke team)...O'Connor and Dawson sought greener pastures as well, as you know.

Actually Jack Schalow coached that team. Went on to become head coach at Seattle.

szstark
07-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Better yet, which tire?

Dr. Bonk! Good memories.

roywhite
07-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Actually Jack Schalow coached that team. Went on to become head coach at Seattle.

Yeah, knew some of the non-scholarship guys on that Duke freshman team. Schalow drilled them long and hard; he was a stickler about conditioning.
Here's an obit for Schalow, who died from cancer some time ago. https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Jack-Schalow-1939-2006-Former-Seattle-U-coach-1203951.php

One of my favorite memories about the undefeated Duke freshman team was going over to Chapel Hill to watch them beat the Baby Seals...err Baby Heels. The joy of chanting GTH, Carolina, GTH in their own building.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-25-2019, 05:32 PM

I took Chem 11 and 12 despite being about as far from a science major as they get - I had enjoyed chemistry in high school, needed to fill distribution requirements, and heard great things about him so gave it a shot and did fairly well. He was an incredible professor - he presented the material so clearly.

I had the occasion to visit him for office hours and we talked about things beyond chemistry (including his love of tennis). My great regret is that I did not have the nerve to ask him about the "which tire" question.

Truth&Justise
07-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Not Duke related, but an interesting piece of trivia.... Who is the only person ever to be named a high school first-team All American in basketball, football, and baseball?

Is it Dave Winfield?

I'll register a guess: Danny Ainge.

RPS
07-25-2019, 05:39 PM

I claim it too, and was even really there. I was at Game 6 of the 1986 World Series too.

RPS
07-25-2019, 05:41 PM
He took both UNC shots that half, neither of which drew iron.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-25-2019, 05:53 PM

Some Cameron Crazies had a sign, either for the second half, or for a subsequent game....it read something like "HEELS HAVE LEAST IRON IN A HALF: NONE!"

RPS
07-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Some Cameron Crazies had a sign, either for the second half, or for a subsequent game...it read something like "HEELS HAVE LEAST IRON IN A HALF: NONE!"
Which reminds me of my all-time favorite CIS sign, referring (of course) to Charles Grice "Lefty" Driesell (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/lefty-driesell-1.html), class of 1954.

Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake

Welcome Lefty!

devildeac
07-25-2019, 07:02 PM

Sounds like a lot of the dress shirts I wear or maybe a new hybrid golf club: no iron.

(No worries, the door won't touch me on the way out :o.)

jimsumner
07-25-2019, 07:18 PM

Dave Colescott took the second, a mid-court runner at the buzzer.

RPS
07-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Dave Colescott took the second, a mid-court runner at the buzzer.
Funny, I remember RY taking both. But I'm sure you're correct. Thanks for setting me straight.

jimsumner
07-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Yeah, knew some of the non-scholarship guys on that Duke freshman team. Schalow drilled them long and hard; he was a stickler about conditioning.
Here's an obit for Schalow, who died from cancer some time ago. https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Jack-Schalow-1939-2006-Former-Seattle-U-coach-1203951.php

One of my favorite memories about the undefeated Duke freshman team was going over to Chapel Hill to watch them beat the Baby Seals...err Baby Heels. The joy of chanting GTH, Carolina, GTH in their own building.

This was not a great Carolina freshman team. They did have George Karl, who turned out to be the best freshman in that year's Big Four class. But I think Donn Johnston was the only other recruited player on that team.

So, when they came to Duke they held the ball. Classic Dean Smith delay-level four corners. Duke prevailed. Too big a talent differential. I do not recall the final score. Something like 46-30, so not really in the category of 21-20 in 1966 or 12-10 NCSU in 1968. Still, kind of fun.

jimsumner
07-25-2019, 09:54 PM
I'll throw one out.

Who was the first person to play in and coach in a Final Four?

roywhite
07-25-2019, 10:18 PM
This was not a great Carolina freshman team. They did have George Karl, who turned out to be the best freshman in that year's Big Four class. But I think Donn Johnston was the only other recruited player on that team.

So, when they came to Duke they held the ball. Classic Dean Smith delay-level four corners. Duke prevailed. Too big a talent differential. I do not recall the final score. Something like 46-30, so not really in the category of 21-20 in 1966 or 12-10 NCSU in 1968. Still, kind of fun.

Yeah, I believe Donn Johnston was the other UNC scholarship player in that class and Karl continued El-Deano's tradition of obnoxious guards. I was going to say Gary Melchionni may have been comparable to Karl; in checking the stats, slight edge to Karl. By the time they were both seniors, Karl scored 17.0 a game, Gary averaged 15.8 (and had a spectacular game vs the Terps); Gary was a slightly better FT shooter at 84% for his Duke career.

Pretty good All-ACC 1st team in 1973

First-Team All-Conference

David Thompson* North Carolina State
George Karl*†† North Carolina
Gary Melchionni*† Duke
Tom Burleson** North Carolina State
Tom McMillen** Maryland

Second-Team All-Conference

Barry Parkhill†*† Virginia
Bobby Jones† North Carolina
Len Elmore†† Maryland
Chris Redding† Duke
Tony Byers† Wake Forest

jimsumner
07-25-2019, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I believe Donn Johnston was the other UNC scholarship player in that class and Karl continued El-Deano's tradition of obnoxious guards. I was going to say Gary Melchionni may have been comparable to Karl; in checking the stats, slight edge to Karl. By the time they were both seniors, Karl scored 17.0 a game, Gary averaged 15.8 (and had a spectacular game vs the Terps); Gary was a slightly better FT shooter at 84% for his Duke career.

Pretty good All-ACC 1st team in 1973

First-Team All-Conference

David Thompson* North Carolina State
George Karl*†† North Carolina
Gary Melchionni*† Duke
Tom Burleson** North Carolina State
Tom McMillen** Maryland

Second-Team All-Conference

Barry Parkhill†*† Virginia
Bobby Jones† North Carolina
Len Elmore†† Maryland
Chris Redding† Duke
Tony Byers† Wake Forest

Karl had a better pro career than Melchionni. Lasted longer anyway. Neither had much of a pro career.

Aladuke
07-25-2019, 10:55 PM

Tim Stoddard

jimsumner
07-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Tim Stoddard

He was also an actor. Sure, he played a baseball player.

Still, that's a triple threat.

Believe it or not he probably was no better than the third best player on his high school team. Teammates Junior Bridgeman (Louisville) and Pete Trgovich (UCLA)--no that's not a misspelling--also played in the Final Four.

duke2x
07-26-2019, 12:19 AM
I took Chem 11 and 12 despite being about as far from a science major as they get...My great regret is that I did not have the nerve to ask him about the "which tire" question.

He would not have told you. The full details of that story went to his grave...unless you will admit to being one of the students that took the exam. I had Bonk in '94-'95 when he still told the story and asked the class if any of his students were the grandchildren of former students.

I'll give you an easy Duke football question. I was at both games and obviously find the trivia intriguing. Through 2013, only two players scored pick 6's on consecutive offensive plays by the opposing team. Name the players. Sprinkles on your cupcake if you can name the opponent, venue, and elapsed time for both plays. Hint: these plays turned both games from a 4th quarter nail-biter into a relative blowout.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-26-2019, 12:53 AM
He would not have told you. The full details of that story went to his grave...unless you will admit to being one of the students that took the exam. I had Bonk in '94-'95 when he still told the story and asked the class if any of his students were the grandchildren of former students.

I'll give you an easy Duke football question. I was at both games and obviously find the trivia intriguing. Through 2013, only two players scored pick 6's on consecutive offensive plays by the opposing team. Name the players. Sprinkles on your cupcake if you can name the opponent, venue, and elapsed time for both plays. Hint: these plays turned both games from a 4th quarter nail-biter into a relative blowout.

Would that be Leon Wright in the Army game and DeVon Edwards in the NC State game?

rsvman
07-26-2019, 06:58 AM

We have a winner!

Indoor66
07-26-2019, 07:16 AM
I'll throw one out.

Bob Knight?

devildeac
07-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Would that be Leon Wright in the Army game and DeVon Edwards in the NC State game?

For my sprinkles, Wright did it at Army and Edwards performed his feat at WW. I'll guess the elapsed time for the Army plays were 14 seconds total and 12 for the NCSU game.

Jeff Frosh
07-26-2019, 01:08 PM

Final score was 47-40. Which still makes me mad since it looks like they played us even in the second half. My recollection is that we beat them handily in the second half but that they closed the final gap to 7 in garbage time. I was there (sitting next to BD80 and Kedsy).

jimsumner
07-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Bob Knight?

Good guess. But incorrect.

Indoor66
07-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Good guess. But incorrect.

Durn! And I am so rarely wrong...😂😎

Highlander
07-26-2019, 02:14 PM
I'll throw one out.

Does it have to be a Head Coach? Dawkins was on the bench for K and played in a FF himself, but he was an assistant coach.

jimsumner
07-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Does it have to be a Head Coach? Dawkins was on the bench for K and played in a FF himself, but he was an assistant coach.

Head coach.

Remember Knight played in the FF for Ohio State in 1960-62 and coached Indiana in 1973. So, it has to be earlier than that.

rasputin
07-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Head coach.

Remember Knight played in the FF for Ohio State in 1960-62 and coached Indiana in 1973. So, it has to be earlier than that.

Wooden?

jimsumner
07-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Wooden?

Nope. Wooden finished playing before the advent of the NCAA Tournament.

sagegrouse
07-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Head coach.

Dean E. Smith played on the Kansas NCAA championship team in 1952 and, having survived being hung in effigy in Chapel Hill, coached UNC in the Final Four in 1967 and several times thereafter.

sagegrouse
07-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Head coach.

Dean E. Smith played on the Kansas NCAA championship team in 1952 and, having survived being hung in effigy in Chapel Hill, coached UNC in the Final Four in 1967 and several times thereafter.

Now if the question was, "Who was the first player to play on an NCAA hoops champion team and then coach an NCAA hoops champion," Bobby Knight was on the Ohio State 1960 champions and coached the undefeated 1976 Indiana team to an NCAA championship.

jimsumner
07-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Dean Smith is incorrect.

Earlier than that.

sagegrouse
07-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Dean Smith is incorrect.

Earlier than that.
Aha! Ralph Miller played on the 1940 Kansas national runner-up and then coached Wichita from 1951-1964. But, as it turns out, Wichita didn't make the Final Four until 1965, losing in the regional final in 1964.

By the way, Sumner, I am losing my sense of humor over this question.

jimsumner
07-26-2019, 03:59 PM
Well, if humor is being lost, it's time for the answer.

Victor Albert Bubas played for NC State's third-place team in 1950 and coached Duke to third-place finishes in 1963 and 1966 and a runner-up spot in 1964.

sagegrouse
07-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Well, if humor is being lost, it's time for the answer.

Victor Albert Bubas played for NC State's third-place team in 1950 and coached Duke to third-place finishes in 1963 and 1966 and a runner-up spot in 1964.

I checked Bubas right after Smith, and the Bubas college reference stats show a loss to CCNY in the east regional final, as does the NC State team schedule. The NC State Wikipedia article credits State for a Final Four. I guess I need more sources.

jimsumner
07-26-2019, 04:19 PM
I checked Bubas right after Smith, and the Bubas college reference stats show a loss to CCNY in the east regional final, as does the NC State team schedule. The NC State Wikipedia article credits State for a Final Four. I guess I need more sources.

There were only eight NCAA Tournament teams in 1950. State defeated Holy Cross in their opener, as Bubas hounded Bob Cousy into an 11-38 shooting performance. State lost to CCNY and defeated Baylor for third place.

Of course, it wasn't called the Final Four then. But neither was it called the Final Four in any of the other years we've referenced.

sagegrouse
07-26-2019, 04:23 PM
There were only eight NCAA Tournament teams in 1950. State defeated Holy Cross in their opener, as Bubas hounded Bob Cousy into an 11-38 shooting performance. State lost to CCNY and defeated Baylor for third place.

Of course, it wasn't called the Final Four then. But neither was it called the Final Four in any of the other years we've referenced.

The other thing I noted is that there was a three-week gap between the Southern Conference tournament (ended March 4) and the NCAA playoffs (March 24).

duke2x
07-27-2019, 12:55 AM

For my sprinkles, Wright did it at Army and Edwards performed his feat at WW. I'll guess the elapsed time for the Army plays were 14 seconds total and 12 for the NCSU game.

All correct. I had to look in the box scores for the time, but it was 16 seconds between touchdowns in both games. Wright ran 84 yards in that span while Edwards ran 70. The 3 TD/26 seconds v. NCSU has to be close to some kind of record for an ACC conference game at least.

CameronBlue
07-29-2019, 10:51 PM
Here's one of my favorites

Of NBA career leaders (Top 25), in which of the categories below is Duke represented...no peeking. Name the categories and name the Blue Devils:

Assists
Steals
Blocks

bundabergdevil
07-29-2019, 11:12 PM

Of NBA career leaders (Top 25), in which of the categories below is Duke represented...no peeking. Name the categories and name the Blue Devils:

Assists
Steals
Blocks

Oof. Mentally scrolling down our NBAers, the only names that come to mind as even possible are Grant Hill, Brand, and Battier. I don’t think Hill had enough healthy seasons to accumulate enough but he surely would have been on several of those lists otherwise. Brand...rebounds...maybe but that doesn’t ring a bell. Battier as the no stars all star sneaking on blocks or steals? I followed him pretty closely and that doesn’t ring a bell either.

My guess is Duke isn’t well-represented unless there’s apre-K player I’m forgetting. Maybe Hill in his brilliance cracked one?

CameronBlue
07-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Oof. Mentally scrolling down our NBAers, the only names that come to mind as even possible are Grant Hill, Brand, and Battier. I don’t think Hill had enough healthy seasons to accumulate enough but he surely would have been on several of those lists otherwise. Brand...rebounds...maybe but that doesn’t ring a bell. Battier as the no stars all star sneaking on blocks or steals? I followed him pretty closely and that doesn’t ring a bell either.

My guess is Duke isn’t well-represented unless there’s apre-K player I’m forgetting. Maybe Hill in his brilliance cracked one?

On the right track but Hill isn't one of them.

A Dukie marks in another Top 25 category, made 3-pointers, but no mystery there. (Said Dukie currently stands #21 in 3 pointers made and at his current rate, if he plays two more seasons he has an outside chance at the Top 10, 3 more seasons, it's a certainty.)

Acymetric
07-30-2019, 09:30 AM
All correct. I had to look in the box scores for the time, but it was 16 seconds between touchdowns in both games. Wright ran 84 yards in that span while Edwards ran 70. The 3 TD/26 seconds v. NCSU has to be close to some kind of record for an ACC conference game at least.

I'm kind of disappointed that other teams/players have accomplished this. It was a fun bit of trivia when it was still true that it had only ever happened twice and both times it was a Duke player. I think Florida has done it in recent years, and maybe another school as well.

sagegrouse
07-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Assists
Steals
Blocks

Not RBs. Centers 40-50 years back used to average 20+ per game. I'd guess Elton for blocks.

bundabergdevil
07-30-2019, 11:34 AM
On the right track but Hill isn't one of them.

A Dukie marks in another Top 25 category, made 3-pointers, but no mystery there. (Said Dukie currently stands #21 in 3 pointers made and at his current rate, if he plays two more seasons he has an outside chance at the Top 10, 3 more seasons, it's a certainty.)

Made 3-pointers is definitely JJ. He's turned in quite a career --- I knew that one but checked the list to see who else was on it. Vince Cater is in the top 10...of all people, that blew me away..even despite his longevity.

rsvman
07-30-2019, 11:47 AM
Any chance Boozer snuck onto the rebounding list?

Truth&Justise
07-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Assists
Steals
Blocks

Kyrie Irving could get there on points.

In favor: he has an impressive 11,294 after eight seasons (age 26). He's 29th all-time in points per game (22.23). He needs (roughly) 9 more seasons to get to #25 Allen Iverson's 24,368 points. Plenty of players remained productive until age 35. And he should just be hitting his prime now, meaning he'll have a few seasons above his current scoring average before any decline happens.

Against: Durability has never been his strong suit--on average he plays only 64 of 82 games each year. That will add up in the long run, and is also a sign that he might not be able to stay healthy long enough to get there. Hard to project effectiveness nearly a decade-out. And players like Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Curry and Lillard are already ahead of him, meaning the bar for top 25 could get higher.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-30-2019, 12:10 PM
I'm kind of disappointed that other teams/players have accomplished this. It was a fun bit of trivia when it was still true that it had only ever happened twice and both times it was a Duke player. I think Florida has done it in recent years, and maybe another school as well.

What's important is Duke was first.

Spanarkel
07-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Not Duke related, but an interesting piece of trivia... Who is the only person ever to be named a high school first-team All American in basketball, football, and baseball?

Not to disparage his three sport prowess(as MaxPreps lists Danny Ainge as no.7 in its survey of greatest all-around high school athletes), but I don't believe that Danny Ainge is the correct answer to this question for the following reasons:

in 1977, Ainge was a Parade Magazine second- team All-American in basketball.

Ainge was apparently not selected for the 1977 McDonald's All-American Team(15 members/2 alternate selections): I realize you can be an All-American and not picked for the McDonald's game, but not being selected for the game makes it somewhat improbable that he was a first-team basketball All-American that year.

The 1977 Parade Magazine Football All-American Team does not list Ainge among its 8 QB selectees, and the football position "Athlete" had not yet been coined.

Ainge's 1977 Football All-American first team selection was made by Scholastic Coach(growing up in the '70s I was familiar with SI, Sport, The Sporting News, Street and Smith's but not Scholastic Coach).

I do see that Ainge's Wikipedia page does state that he is the only person ever to be named a high school first-team AA in basketball, football, and baseball, but it states that a "citation is needed."

"Ainge was a three-sport star and ranks as one of the greatest athletes ever from the state of Oregon. He was a Scholastic Coach All-American in football while playing quarterback. In basketball, he was Parade Magazine All-American Second Team pick after leading North Eugene to back-to-back state championships. In baseball, Ainge was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays and played three seasons with the team while also playing basketball at BYU. He later joined the Boston Celtics in the NBA and went on to a 15-year career." Source:MaxPreps Greatest All-Around High School Athletes

rsvman
07-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Not to disparage his three sport prowess(as MaxPreps lists Danny Ainge as no.7 in its survey of greatest all-around high school athletes), but I don't believe that Danny Ainge is the correct answer to this question for the following reasons:

in 1977, Ainge was a Parade Magazine second- team All-American in basketball.

Ainge was apparently not selected for the 1977 McDonald's All-American Team(15 members/2 alternate selections): I realize you can be an All-American and not picked for the McDonald's game, but not being selected for the game makes it somewhat improbable that he was a first-team basketball All-American that year.

The 1977 Parade Magazine Football All-American Team does not list Ainge among its 8 QB selectees, and the football position "Athlete" had not yet been coined.

Ainge's 1977 Football All-American first team selection was made by Scholastic Coach(growing up in the '70s I was familiar with SI, Sport, The Sporting News, Street and Smith's but not Scholastic Coach).

I do see that Ainge's Wikipedia page does state that he is the only person ever to be named a high school first-team AA in basketball, football, and baseball, but it states that a "citation is needed."

"Ainge was a three-sport star and ranks as one of the greatest athletes ever from the state of Oregon. He was a Scholastic Coach All-American in football while playing quarterback. In basketball, he was Parade Magazine All-American Second Team pick after leading North Eugene to back-to-back state championships. In baseball, Ainge was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays and played three seasons with the team while also playing basketball at BYU. He later joined the Boston Celtics in the NBA and went on to a 15-year career." Source:MaxPreps Greatest All-Around High School Athletes

Thanks for the clarification.

Still a pretty impressive athlete.

CameronBlue
07-30-2019, 03:52 PM
Not RBs. Centers 40-50 years back used to average 20+ per game. I'd guess Elton for blocks.

And you would be right. You are hearby entitled to engage in the worst sort of licentious PPB muck-raking concerning any politician or political issue of your choice for 24 hours. I will absorb all your demerits. I mean seriously, it's bound to be cathartic for everyone no matter your political perversion...um persuasion.

CameronBlue
07-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Made 3-pointers is definitely JJ. He's turned in quite a career --- I knew that one but checked the list to see who else was on it. Vince Cater is in the top 10...of all people, that blew me away..even despite his longevity.

Yup, with a career 3 point FG percentage of .374, ol Vince wasn't afraid to chuck em up there (source: wiki). JJ at .413 ranks 5th, assuming wiki is reliable.