PDA

View Full Version : Zion picks Nike (Jordan Brand)

JasonEvans
07-23-2019, 12:55 PM
I am looking to see what the number is... I bet it is well north of $10 mil per season.

https://news.nike.com/news/zion-williamson-jordan-brand

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nikeinc/assets/89273/zion-jordan-brand_native_1600.jpg?1563572182

elvis14
07-23-2019, 01:20 PM
I'm actually relieved that he chose Nike, despite the shoe issue that cost us a cheater game. If Zion is to become the next great thing, I feel like he can't go second string on his endorsements. I saw something today that mentioned that Puma was making him a huge offer and I was hoping he wouldn't fall for it.

elvis14
07-23-2019, 01:22 PM
I'm actually relieved that he chose Nike, despite the shoe issue that cost us a cheater game. If Zion is to become the next great thing, I feel like he can't go second string on his endorsements. I saw something today that mentioned that Puma was making him a huge offer and I was hoping he wouldn't fall for it.

And, upon further review I take that back. I'm not happy that he joined the "Jordan Brand" as opposed to just "Nike". 9F

Troublemaker
07-23-2019, 01:30 PM

99% or more of whether Zion is the next great thing will be determined by how he plays on the court.

One thing I've disliked about the discussion around here about Zion is the seeming assumption that he's going to turn into a superstar player. Too much looking down at Puma, the city of New Orleans, the Pelicans franchise, etc, as if they're beneath him. The ironic thing is that Zion himself strikes me as humble enough to realize that's not the case (even if he *does* turn into a superstar).

Anyway, let's see Zion develop into a great NBA player first.

elvis14
07-23-2019, 01:42 PM
99% or more of whether Zion is the next great thing will be determined by how he plays on the court.

One thing I've disliked about the discussion around here about Zion is the seeming assumption that he's going to turn into a superstar player. Too much looking down at Puma, the city of New Orleans, the Pelicans franchise, etc, as if they're beneath him. The ironic thing is that Zion himself strikes me as humble enough to realize that's not the case (even if he *does* turn into a superstar).

I agree that if Zion is going to be the next great it'll come from his play on the court. But to reach MJ, LBJ levels you need the whole package (game, endorsements, community, branding, image, etc). He's well on his way (amazing for a guy his age). Puma is just not at the MJ/LBJ level. I'm not saying that's right, it's just true.

Zion is humble and it's great and I hope he plays up to the hype.

mkirsh
07-23-2019, 02:00 PM
So conflicted - want to support Zion but can’t bring myself to buy Jordans. What are Duke fans supposed to do?

Congrats to Z on the deal!

bundabergdevil
07-23-2019, 02:03 PM
I agree that if Zion is going to be the next great it'll come from his play on the court. But to reach MJ, LBJ levels you need the whole package (game, endorsements, community, branding, image, etc). He's well on his way (amazing for a guy his age). Puma is just not at the MJ/LBJ level. I'm not saying that's right, it's just true.

Zion is humble and it's great and I hope he plays up to the hype.

Agreed. I wish all Duke players well and the ability to live up to their potential but, quite selfishly, I wish it for Zion a bit more because he's just so damn fun to watch on the court.

robed deity
07-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Agree with this. I think Zion will be a really really good NBA player, but it remains to be seen whether he will be great (as it would be with anyone). Maybe Kanter meant is as a negative, but am I the only one who thinks "Julius Randle with hops" is actually a good thing? I mean- that would be a crazy good player imo.

BeachBlueDevil
07-23-2019, 02:14 PM
I can't wait for Jordan to put out a Zion signature show in a Duke colorway.

BD80
07-23-2019, 02:52 PM
I am looking to see what the number is... I bet it is well north of $10 mil per season.

https://news.nike.com/news/zion-williamson-jordan-brand

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nikeinc/assets/89273/zion-jordan-brand_native_1600.jpg?1563572182

I won't buy anything with the current Nike "jumpman" logo on it.

Hopefully, this is Nike providing a nice segue into a new, more powerful "jumpman" logo!

JNort
07-23-2019, 02:59 PM
Agree with this. I think Zion will be a really really good NBA player, but it remains to be seen whether he will be great (as it would be with anyone). Maybe Kanter meant is as a negative, but am I the only one who thinks "Julius Randle with hops" is actually a good thing? I mean- that would be a crazy good player imo.
Yeah Randle with hops would be amazing!

subzero02
07-23-2019, 03:04 PM

It cost a heck of a lot more than one game vs. The cheaters. I think it cost us at least 1 and likely 2 banners. The lingering effects of the nike shoe debacle still ripple through Joey Baker's remaining years of eligibility.

jimmymax
07-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Super. Great company.

JetpackJesus
07-23-2019, 03:45 PM
So conflicted - want to support Zion but can’t bring myself to buy Jordans. What are Duke fans supposed to do?

Congrats to Z on the deal!

Buy Kyries? Specifically this colorway (https://www.nike.com/launch/t/kyrie-5-duke-game-royal/?cp=gsns_aff_rak_9ieob0c66Uo&cp=gsns_aff_rak_9ieob0c66Uo&ranMID=41134&ranEAID=9ieob0c66Uo&ranSiteID=9ieob0c66Uo-JR1KncubyeeY0Mu145qSvQ).

uh_no
07-23-2019, 04:09 PM

shrug. curry does alright for himself....he could have put puma on the map. If he's great, it won't matter if he's wearing starbury's. If he is a flop, no shoe is going to help. Nike wasn't much until jordan came along, and UA exploded in the bball market with curry. Someone has to be first, and at 10+ million a year, there aren't too many wrong answers.

hallcity
07-23-2019, 04:34 PM
I don't keep up with the sneaker world. Can someone give a simple explanation of the relationship between Nike and Jordan Brand Nike, apart from the obvious MJ connection to Jordan Brand?

uh_no
07-23-2019, 05:02 PM
I don't keep up with the sneaker world. Can someone give a simple explanation of the relationship between Nike and Jordan Brand Nike, apart from the obvious MJ connection to Jordan Brand?

it means he isn't worth enough right now to have his own signature line.

arnie
07-23-2019, 05:12 PM
shrug. curry does alright for himself...he could have put puma on the map. If he's great, it won't matter if he's wearing starbury's. If he is a flop, no shoe is going to help. Nike wasn't much until jordan came along, and UA exploded in the bball market with curry. Someone has to be first, and at 10+ million a year, there aren't too many wrong answers.

Yea don’t think shoe company endorsements make the player more prominent. I’m actually disappointed he didn’t go outside the norm and go with Puma or someone else. Zion is bigger than Nike🌎

duke79
07-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Yea don’t think shoe company endorsements make the player more prominent. I’m actually disappointed he didn’t go outside the norm and go with Puma or someone else. Zion is bigger than Nike🌎

None of us know how much the various shoe companies were offering him, but, assuming they were all approximately in the same ballpark, I guessing his "advisers" told him to go with "blue chip" brand. More marketing power and brand recognition goes a long way in today's world.

duke79
07-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Buy Kyries? Specifically this colorway (https://www.nike.com/launch/t/kyrie-5-duke-game-royal/?cp=gsns_aff_rak_9ieob0c66Uo&cp=gsns_aff_rak_9ieob0c66Uo&ranMID=41134&ranEAID=9ieob0c66Uo&ranSiteID=9ieob0c66Uo-JR1KncubyeeY0Mu145qSvQ).

I hate Nike and try to never buy their products, BUT I like that shoe!

mkirsh
07-23-2019, 05:39 PM

I want to like Kyries and know they are popular with many NBA and major college players, but I've never found them to be comfortable at all. Much prefer basic Hyperdunks or Curry's UA shoe to play ball in. Must be my old man game.

Lauderdevil
07-23-2019, 06:34 PM

This is easy: (a) Michael Jordan far transcends UNC; he belongs to the world, and (b) for now and hopefully forever, Zion is all Duke. I suspect Nike will be glad to emphasize Zion's Duke roots, even within the Jordan Brand.

JetpackJesus
07-23-2019, 06:43 PM
it means he isn't worth enough right now to have his own signature line.
Jordan Brand does signature shoes, though. Westbrook and CP3 both have Jordan signature shoes.

I hate Nike and try to never buy their products, BUT I like that shoe!

I want to like Kyries and know they are popular with many NBA and major college players, but I've never found them to be comfortable at all. Much prefer basic Hyperdunks or Curry's UA shoe to play ball in. Must be my old
man game.

I don't like Nike shoes, either, and I've never actually tried any of the Kyries as a result. I just like that particular colorway, especially with the Blue Devil head on the top. I haven't tried the Curry shoes because UA, like Jordan Brand, is a brand I will not buy.

My current indoor shoe is the Harden Vol. 3 (Adidas). I don't like Harden as a player, but he's got a great shoe.

WiJoe
07-23-2019, 08:13 PM
can't wait to wear out my last pair of nikes. should probably throw them out.

abn

anything but nike

Furniture
07-23-2019, 08:33 PM
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/07/duke-mens-basketball-cam-reddish-nike

JNort
07-23-2019, 08:44 PM
None of us know how much the various shoe companies were offering him, but, assuming they were all approximately in the same ballpark, I guessing his "advisers" told him to go with "blue chip" brand. More marketing power and brand recognition goes a long way in today's world.

Well Nike gets away with offering a good deal less because players want the name of Nike attached to them.

rocketeli
07-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Did Zion ever resolve his lawsuits?

JetpackJesus
07-23-2019, 10:35 PM
Did Zion ever resolve his lawsuits?

Just last week I read an article in the Athletic (https://theathletic.com/1078082/2019/07/17/zion-williamson-and-the-dueling-lawsuits-whats-next/) that said both lawsuits were ongoing, so I'm guessing no. I feel like we would have heard something since then if one or both had been resolved in the last week.

msdukie
07-23-2019, 11:52 PM
Something else to consider. If Zion had signed a regular Nike deal, Nike could have used Zion to crossbrand gear, shoes, advertising etc. with Duke like Carolina has done with Jordan since they signed their 1993 Nike deal. That's unlikely to happen with Jordan brand as there would have to be Jordan (i.e. UNC-related) logos on the Duke gear. Branding Zion close to Duke in advertising and product helps with recruiting too. Don't think that the fact that you can buy tons of Michael Jordan Carolina gear hasn't helped them over decades.

Duke has used Kyrie a bit in this fashion. There are the special Kyrie Duke shoes; some Kyrie-branded Nike Duke gear (mostly made for the team); there is even Kyrie in a current black Duke jersey in the Nike Team store on campus....

brevity
07-24-2019, 01:50 AM
As of this afternoon, Nike/Jordan Brand already has a (digital) billboard of Zion Williamson right next to the Smoothie King Arena in downtown New Orleans.

BarDown (https://www.bardown.com/jordan-brand-already-has-zion-williamson-billboards-up-in-new-orleans-la-ny-1.1341277) has collected images of that billboard as well as ones in New York and Los Angeles.

4Gen
07-24-2019, 06:48 AM
can't wait to wear out my last pair of nikes. should probably throw them out.

abn

anything but nike

I did throw mine out. I was overcome by toxic masculinity.

mkirsh
07-24-2019, 07:08 AM
Something else to consider. If Zion had signed a regular Nike deal, Nike could have used Zion to crossbrand gear, shoes, advertising etc. with Duke like Carolina has done with Jordan since they signed their 1993 Nike deal. That's unlikely to happen with Jordan brand as there would have to be Jordan (i.e. UNC-related) logos on the Duke gear. Branding Zion close to Duke in advertising and product helps with recruiting too. Don't think that the fact that you can buy tons of Michael Jordan Carolina gear hasn't helped them over decades.

Duke has used Kyrie a bit in this fashion. There are the special Kyrie Duke shoes; some Kyrie-branded Nike Duke gear (mostly made for the team); there is even Kyrie in a current black Duke jersey in the Nike Team store on campus...

Also, Duke players never wear Jordans. At one point I think Andre Dawkins mentioned that as a team rule. I assume that would be lifted to allow Duke players to wear a Zion signature shoe?

rocketeli
07-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Also, Duke players never wear Jordans. At one point I think Andre Dawkins mentioned that as a team rule. I assume that would be lifted to allow Duke players to wear a Zion signature shoe?

"Well, it's more of a guideline than a rule."

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-24-2019, 08:27 AM
Being reported he’s getting $75M over seven years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/zion-williamson-signs-reported-7-year-75m-contract-to-sell-nikes-rookie-contract-second-only-to-lebrons.amp

Look, I hate Jordan as much as anyone. But I can’t begrudge a kid for signing up for that kind of money. He’ll always be a Dukie. No matter what shoes he’s wearing.

elvis14
07-24-2019, 08:43 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/zion-williamson-signs-reported-7-year-75m-contract-to-sell-nikes-rookie-contract-second-only-to-lebrons.amp

Look, I hate Jordan as much as anyone. But I can’t begrudge a kid for signing up for that kind of money. He’ll always be a Dukie. No matter what shoes he’s wearing.

As big of a number as $75M is, I thought it would be more...like $100M.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-24-2019, 08:44 AM
It’s the second largest rookie shoe deal ever behind Lebron...

elvis14
07-24-2019, 08:54 AM
It’s the second largest rookie shoe deal ever behind Lebron...

Exactly, and Lebron was a decade ago. I was disappointed to hear that he didn't surpass LBJ.

BD80
07-24-2019, 09:00 AM
I did throw mine out. I was overcome by toxic masculinity.

I've had many pairs of shoes overcome by my toxic masculinity ...

JNort
07-24-2019, 09:27 AM

Wonder how much he turned down from Puma and the others.

hallcity
07-24-2019, 09:33 AM

But I don't understand why the deal is with Jordan Brand. Were Nike and Jordan Brand bidding against each other? If both are managed by Nike, wouldn't it have been more profitable to Nike to have the Zion shoes branded so that Duke would use them? Wouldn't Zion have said he preferred his shoes to simply be Nike branded instead of Jordan Branded? Is Jordan Brand a separate business entity from Nike?

Edouble
07-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Duke has used Kyrie a bit in this fashion. There are the special Kyrie Duke shoes; some Kyrie-branded Nike Duke gear (mostly made for the team); there is even Kyrie in a current black Duke jersey in the Nike Team store on campus...

So, Zion's shoes will not help Duke, the way that Kyrie's shoes do help Duke... is that what you are saying? Because Zion is with Jordan Brand and not Nike?

But I don't understand why the deal is with Jordan Brand. Were Nike and Jordan Brand bidding against each other? If both are managed by Nike, wouldn't it have been more profitable to Nike to have the Zion shoes branded so that Duke would use them? Wouldn't Zion have said he preferred his shoes to simply be Nike branded instead of Jordan Branded? Is Jordan Brand a separate business entity from Nike?

My question exactly. So, if Zion was with Nike and not Jordan Brand, he would have the potential to have more branding tie ins with Duke?

So... that sucks then?

JasonEvans
07-24-2019, 10:31 AM
To be clear, Jordan Brand is a separate business from Nike, though it is 100% owned by Nike. A couple/few decades ago Michael Jordan and Nike came to an agreement that gives Michael a few pennies of every dollar that Jordan Brand sells (or something like that). It is worth noting that Jordan Brand's top selling merchandise are Air Jordan shoes and apparel.

So, because they are separate businesses, I suppose it is possible that Zion's relationship with Jordan Brand will limit the degree to which Zion-related Duke merchandise can be sold. It may be that Nike will allow their exclusive contract with Duke to be waived for Jordan Brand, we don't know. But I won't be at all surprised if Nike does allow it. The vast majority of Jordan's Brand's profits flow through to Nike so if Nike feels it can make money out of the Duke-Zion relationship, then it would be in Nike's interest to let that happen.

As for whether Jordan Brand and Nike were bidding against each other for Zion, I would imagine that a decision was made pretty high up that one or the other would take the lead on the Zion negotiations.

-Jason "bottom line, for all intents and purposes, I see this as Zion being with Nike" Evans

arnie
07-24-2019, 11:59 AM
So, Zion's shoes will not help Duke, the way that Kyrie's shoes do help Duke... is that what you are saying? Because Zion is with Jordan Brand and not Nike?

My question exactly. So, if Zion was with Nike and not Jordan Brand, he would have the potential to have more branding tie ins with Duke?

So... that sucks then?

Particularly since Jordan could hand Zion a leftover UNCheat diploma and claim he’s now a Heel.

Indoor66
07-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Particularly since Jordan could hand Zion a leftover UNCheat diploma and claim he’s now a Heel.

Hell, he could back up the diploma with a full UnCheat transcript....

Rich
07-24-2019, 01:33 PM
To be clear, Jordan Brand is a separate business from Nike, though it is 100% owned by Nike. A couple/few decades ago Michael Jordan and Nike came to an agreement that gives Michael a few pennies of every dollar that Jordan Brand sells (or something like that). It is worth noting that Jordan Brand's top selling merchandise are Air Jordan shoes and apparel.

So, because they are separate businesses, I suppose it is possible that Zion's relationship with Jordan Brand will limit the degree to which Zion-related Duke merchandise can be sold. It may be that Nike will allow their exclusive contract with Duke to be waived for Jordan Brand, we don't know. But I won't be at all surprised if Nike does allow it. The vast majority of Jordan's Brand's profits flow through to Nike so if Nike feels it can make money out of the Duke-Zion relationship, then it would be in Nike's interest to let that happen.

As for whether Jordan Brand and Nike were bidding against each other for Zion, I would imagine that a decision was made pretty high up that one or the other would take the lead on the Zion negotiations.

-Jason "bottom line, for all intents and purposes, I see this as Zion being with Nike" Evans

Personally, I would consider Duke merchandise bearing the Jordan brand logo to be the ultimate Carolina victory over Duke. I'd be very disappointed if Duke agreed to do that.

Acymetric
07-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Personally, I would consider Duke merchandise bearing the Jordan brand logo to be the ultimate Carolina victory over Duke. I'd be very disappointed if Duke agreed to do that.

Yeah. I don't want Jordan's silhouette on anything Duke related. Just can't happen.

hallcity
07-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Yeah. I don't want Jordan's silhouette on anything Duke related. Just can't happen.

Could Jordan Brand do Zion merchandise without the jumpman?

Acymetric
07-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Could Jordan Brand do Zion merchandise without the jumpman?

The word (name) "Jordan" also cannot appear anywhere on the merchandise or in the promotional materials.

So, probably not.

Jeffrey
07-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Hell, he could back up the diploma with a full UnCheat transcript...

Does the fine print on each state “no cash value”?

Indoor66
07-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Does the fine print on each state “no cash value”?

No. It says redeemable for $.06.

arnie
07-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Hell, he could back up the diploma with a full UnCheat transcript...

🎟. This all that’s needed.

Jeffrey
07-24-2019, 05:37 PM
No. It says redeemable for $.06.

Then, cashing out is clearly the prudent move.

subzero02
07-24-2019, 08:54 PM

This article states that initial reports regarding the contract were incorrect. Zion's deal is reportedly worth $15 million per year over 5 years. If he becomes the juggernaut that many believe he will development into, a shorter term rookie shoe deal will prove to be a very smart move.

https://thespun.com/nba/zion-williamsons-shoe-deal-new-details

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/24/zion-williamson-jordan-brand-shoe-deal-75-million-five-years

Though previous reports stated that the deal was seven years for $75 million – just shy of the $90 million LeBron James received – the new report indicates that it is for five years, but the average annual value is the most in rookie history.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-24-2019, 09:05 PM
On a related topic, my daughter was on the same flight as Zion today to Charlotte, from RDU. She was headed to Portland....so if Zion was going to see MJ, he ended in Charlotte. But if he was going to see Phil Knight, then he was probably on my daughter's flight to Portland too.

bundabergdevil
07-24-2019, 09:13 PM
On a related topic, my daughter was on the same flight as Zion today to Charlotte, from RDU. She was headed to Portland...so if Zion was going to see MJ, he ended in Charlotte. But if he was going to see Phil Knight, then he was probably on my daughter's flight to Portland too.

That must have been nice. With Zion on board, they wouldn't have had to request clearance to land, he'd just state their intentions.

msdukie
07-25-2019, 12:37 AM

Exactly.

duke96
07-27-2019, 07:04 AM
That must have been nice. With Zion on board, they wouldn't have had to request clearance to land, he'd just state their intentions.

Sounds like Zion’s last commercial flight...

TruBlu
07-27-2019, 09:05 AM
$75M seems a bit low for someone who, in one college basketball season, turned the word "basketball" into a verb.

wavedukefan70s
07-29-2019, 01:29 PM

That would be no less than devastating to legions of Duke fans.

JayZee
07-29-2019, 04:23 PM
That would be no less than devastating to legions of Duke fans.

We haven't discussed what happens down the road when someone in powder blue argyle sports the newly released Zion1 shoe with a royal blue jumpman logo...

Acymetric
07-29-2019, 04:40 PM
We haven't discussed what happens down the road when someone in powder blue argyle sports the newly released Zion1 shoe with a royal blue jumpman logo...

I would have liked to keep it that way. Ick.

flyingdutchdevil
08-02-2019, 10:18 AM
ESPN has an in-depth article into Zion selecting Jordan Brand: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27289111/every-twist-turn-zion-sneaker-chase

JetpackJesus
08-02-2019, 03:45 PM
ESPN has an in-depth article into Zion selecting Jordan Brand: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27289111/every-twist-turn-zion-sneaker-chase

There's a lot of interesting stuff in that story, but my key takeaway from the story is this paragraph, which also answers the questions earlier in this thread about why Jordan Brand instead of Nike:

Williamson would join Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook as the only Jordan Brand players with a signature shoe, and he'd bolster the brand's visibility in a league where only 7% of active players wear Jordan Brand sneakers. Conversely, more than 67% of NBA players wear Nike-branded models, which has led the company to put an internal emphasis on balancing their star rosters. They moved Boston Celtics star Jayson Tatum from Nike to Jordan this offseason, but Williamson would be the centerpiece of that strategy. Basically, Nike doesn't need Zion, but Jordan (in more ways than one) really does.

duke96
08-03-2019, 07:29 AM

Fascinating article. Sounds like a total cluster in terms of his representation, switching twice and having to rely on winning a lawsuit to try and get out of one of the contracts. Bozo of the year award candidate is family friend James “Chubby” Wells who was presumably teed up to be set for life by representing Williamson but then failed the 50-question agent certification test administered by the NBPA. So then the family has to go scramble for alternate representation. Close second bozo of the year candidate is Gina Ford who apparently needs a better contract lawyer and also left millions on the table because of it. Unreal that there was such a scramble to secure the most anticipated rookie sneaker deal since Lebron.

Article never quite explains why it was a good idea for Zion to leave millions on the table by choosing Nike over others. Because he liked the fact that there was a Mia Hamm building etc? Hard to imagine leaving huge sums of money on the table for that... doesn’t quite seem to add up.

budwom
08-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Fascinating article. Sounds like a total cluster in terms of his representation, switching twice and having to rely on winning a lawsuit to try and get out of one of the contracts. Bozo of the year award candidate is family friend James “Chubby” Wells who was presumably teed up to be set for life by representing Williamson but then failed the 50-question agent certification test administered by the NBPA. So then the family has to go scramble for alternate representation. Close second bozo of the year candidate is Gina Ford who apparently needs a better contract lawyer and also left millions on the table because of it. Unreal that there was such a scramble to secure the most anticipated rookie sneaker deal since Lebron.

Article never quite explains why it was a good idea for Zion to leave millions on the table by choosing Nike over others. Because he liked the fact that there was a Mia Hamm building etc? Hard to imagine leaving huge sums of money on the table for that... doesn’t quite seem to add up.

I think the assertion that he left millions on the table to choose NIKE is bogus...some of the other "offers" did not appear to be real...I just think it was a headline grabber with no substantiation. Nike is really, they'll promote the hell out of Zion...I think he left nothing on the table (though for sure his earlier representation choice was strangely idiotic).

arnie
08-03-2019, 11:31 AM
I think the assertion that he left millions on the table to choose NIKE is bogus...some of the other "offers" did not appear to be real...I just think it was a headline grabber with no substantiation. Nike is really, they'll promote the hell out of Zion...I think he left nothing on the table (though for sure his earlier representation choice was strangely idiotic).

We’ll likely never know if he left any money on the table, but in the end, why does it matter? He and his family should never spend anything close to the contract total (even considering taxes, mgmt fees, etc.). I hope he picked the company he trusts the most; I just find it unfortunate he’s in now in “bed” with Jordan.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-03-2019, 11:40 AM
We’ll likely never know if he left any money on the table, but in the end, why does it matter? He and his family should never spend anything close to the contract total (even considering taxes, mgmt fees, etc.). I hope he picked the company he trusts the most; I just find it unfortunate he’s in now in “bed” with Jordan.

Seems to be the difference between "be the face of this brand" and "be a member of an elite brand." Sort of of like being a member of the Duke Brotherhood, or the biggest face in the history of Clemson basketball.

Of course, he definitely became the face of Duke basketball for this decade, as he might end up doing the same for the next generation of Jordan Brand.

Say what you will, he's not shy about getting in the big pond.

BD80
08-03-2019, 04:16 PM
... I just find it unfortunate he’s in now in “bed” with Jordan.

Neither one has trouble getting up to the top bunk ...

BD80
08-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Merrill's "New" hiker …

Wonder when they chose the name?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Merrill's "New" hiker …

To be fair, Merrell has had a "Moab" shoe for at least 15 years.

flyingdutchdevil
08-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Merrill's "New" hiker …

Come on Zion. What's next? A lawsuit against Zion National Park?

devildeac
08-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Come on Zion. What's next? A lawsuit against Zion National Park?

Pfft. Less than 100 years old by name (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_National_Park)

"On November 20, 1919, Congress redesignated the monument as Zion National Park, and the act was signed by President Woodrow Wilson."

Let's go back many, many centuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Zion

;)

budwom
08-08-2019, 12:36 PM
Merrell is a fine company which of course started up in Vermont decades ago...(thereafter sold multiple times)....very nice array of comfortable, high quality shoes...the Womble family owns many of them...

BD80
08-08-2019, 12:53 PM
To be fair, Merrell has had a "Moab" shoe for at least 15 years.

And the Israelites were known for hikes of long duration ...