PDA

View Full Version : Duke’s next head coach?

Tazman10
07-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Billy Donovan!

Acymetric
07-12-2019, 12:45 PM
As if.

Tazman10
07-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Word is he is looking to get out of OKC and college is a very viable option.

Acymetric
07-12-2019, 12:50 PM

College is a viable option, no doubt. Duke is not.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Oh, the off-season.

J4Kop99
07-12-2019, 12:59 PM

As an assistant coach?

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Is Coach K retiring?

wsb3
07-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Oh, the off-season.

Can a jersey retirement thread be far behind?😄

devildeac
07-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Can a jersey retirement thread be far behind?😄

Billy Donovan is getting his jersey retired?

:rolleyes::eek:

Reddevil
07-12-2019, 01:50 PM
Oh, the off-season.

How will this change the minutes discussion?

Indoor66
07-12-2019, 01:58 PM
What do the analytics indicate?

4Gen
07-12-2019, 04:45 PM
What do the analytics indicate?

It is then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Comes singing songs of love
Then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man

Indoor66
07-12-2019, 04:59 PM
It is then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man
Then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man

I am not sure what that means. 😁

jwillfan
07-12-2019, 05:46 PM
I am not sure what that means. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKCUuyojDI

Nonsense but a great song

Indoor66
07-12-2019, 06:11 PM
I still don't get what the poster means.

dalmatians98
07-12-2019, 06:25 PM
It's over.

Truth&Justise
07-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Tazman was slightly off, but they have picked Duke's next head coach: it's me. Figured now is a good time to announce it to the world.

I'll employ a 10-man rotation of 5* players who stay 3-4 years, using the minutes distribution prediction average from DBR. 40-0 here we come!

MartyClark
07-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Tazman was slightly off, but they have picked Duke's next head coach: it's me. Figured now is a good time to announce it to the world.

I'll employ a 10-man rotation of 5* players who stay 3-4 years, using the minutes distribution prediction average from DBR. 40-0 here we come!

Can convicted felons vote for the next Duke head BB coach? If so, you have my vote

zippy_the_cat
07-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Billy Donovan!

Um, no.

bedeviled
07-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Can convicted felons vote for the next Duke head BB coach? If so, you have my voteWrongful conviction!We all know Marty doesn't foul

OldPhiKap
07-12-2019, 07:59 PM
I’m holding out for Doh!

NSDukeFan
07-12-2019, 08:05 PM
I’m holding out for Doh!

Do you really think they’re going to offer you much more money? 😀

OldPhiKap
07-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Do you really think they’re going to offer you much more money? 😀

I’m worth every dime they pay me now.

NSDukeFan
07-12-2019, 08:50 PM
I’m worth every dime they pay me now.

I assume you get royalties when the coaching staff takes the advice you give here on DBR?

OldPhiKap
07-12-2019, 09:18 PM
I assume you get royalties when the coaching staff takes the advice you give here on DBR?

Sure, let’s go with that.

Tazman10
07-12-2019, 11:36 PM
You all realize Coach K was not a Dukie before he came to Duke right?

Just which Duke blood coach can come in here a repeat what Coach K is doing? How many years of not playing more than a game or 2 in the tourney before you all get upset?

No body on this sight will sit still for year in and year out of 1-1 or 0-1 in the tourney. Billy is Coach K the second. He ran a good college program, not a single year of questionable recruiting and he won. I laugh at how you all
laughed at UNC when Dean left and they struggled. That is what Duke is in for and they don’t have a Roy (can’t stand him) to step in correct the ship. He won at Kansas and went deep into the tourney. Duke does not have that.

If Duke is going to keep up with what Coach K is doing it would take someone like Billy. Brad Stevens isn’t leaving Boston any time soon and is not a Dukie but has been mentioned here before as a replacement for Coach. I’ll bet anyone Coach K would be happy with Billy.

Acymetric
07-12-2019, 11:39 PM
I don't think it needs to be a former Duke player/coach. It just also doesn't need to be Billy Donovan.

frb
07-13-2019, 02:33 AM
the head coach of Duke will be Jon Scheyer .. his stock is raising.

Donovan will be the HC of Texas.

scottdude8
07-13-2019, 06:42 AM

A segment of Michigan fans will now be frustrated that this development happened after Beilein’s departure... Donovan was one of the “big fish” certain segments of the fan base were hoping for. I think Howard will work out long term but Donovan certainly would’ve been a splashier hire.

dukelifer
07-13-2019, 06:56 AM
Billy Donovan!

Well- Kevin White could fire K - hire Mike White from Florida and Billy could go back. That seems more likely.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-13-2019, 07:24 AM
You all realize Coach K was not a Dukie before he came to Duke right?

Just which Duke blood coach can come in here a repeat what Coach K is doing? How many years of not playing more than a game or 2 in the tourney before you all get upset?

No body on this sight will sit still for year in and year out of 1-1 or 0-1 in the tourney. Billy is Coach K the second. He ran a good college program, not a single year of questionable recruiting and he won. I laugh at how you all
laughed at UNC when Dean left and they struggled. That is what Duke is in for and they don’t have a Roy (can’t stand him) to step in correct the ship. He won at Kansas and went deep into the tourney. Duke does not have that.

If Duke is going to keep up with what Coach K is doing it would take someone like Billy. Brad Stevens isn’t leaving Boston any time soon and is not a Dukie but has been mentioned here before as a replacement for Coach. I’ll bet anyone Coach K would be happy with Billy.

You make some interesting points, but I have a few quibbles. First, the fact that K wasn't a Dukie before he came here is not relevant. There was no long Duke coaching tree, nor nearly the tradition, nor the "brotherhood," nor any of the other factors that make hiring a Duke bloodline coach perhaps more of a priority now. So that point falls a tad flat.

That said, while I lean towards a Duke coaching tree guy, I would also really like Stevens - and I know K has tremendous respect for Stevens - or it certainly seems that way. So, a year ago, I'd have thought Stevens was an NBA lifer. Now not so sure. I also think Quinn Snyder might be the smartest coach on the planet at the moment, but of course there is the baggage, and he may also now be an NBA guy, period. I think the key is, will these one time college guys like the "new" NBA, which is simply star player dominated to a point never seen before, particularly on roster building...meanwhile college is more coaching dominated than ever with 1,2 and done and so on.

As for Donovan, I could live with that...if I felt like he would become a Duke guy and shed his Gator and Providence thing a bit.

Then again, I too get the feeling that Scheyer's stock is on the rise....a point another poster also made.

DukieInKansas
07-13-2019, 08:35 AM
I'm predicting Coach K v2.0. Surely, somewhere in a lab in a hidden corner of campus, someone is working on cloning the current Coach K.

Possibility #2, with the various replacements he has had (knees, hip), they are working on turning him into RoboCoach and he will coach forever.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Previous thread for reference:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43198-Article-on-Coach-K-s-retirement-plans

I did not read the article but the OP noted Coach K’s feeling that he’d like the eventual successor to have played and coached at Duke...

Tazman10
07-13-2019, 09:06 AM
I think people need to keep in mind that most good talkers can sell a good product. Duke is an excellent sell as long as it is selling Coach K.

Capel did nice at Oklahoma but did great at Duke. The product he sold was Coach K and the brotherhood. John’s star might be rising but if he got the chance say in 3 or 4 years could you sell him like Coach K? White is not going to get fired from Florida because he is doing good there now, getting better every year. But has he won more than a game in the big dance yet?

You need to ask yourself what type of coach do you want, from top to bottom? Duke should want a proven winner at the college level, someone who runs a clean program and has a good track record of recruiting talent to his program.

Don’t think about anyone one person when to think about who should be the next coach just think about the qualities they need.

Donovan was not a Gator when he took over at Florida but look at what he did there, and that is a football school. He is a proven winner, they were able to sell him to recruits (only coach to win back to back titles like someone we know), and had no issues with recruiting.

You better be ready because if they don’t select the right person Duke will always be known for Coach K. There are very, very few guys who can get over that. And if they don’t do it right it will be years and years before they get over Coach K, maybe not in your life time.

After Coach K retires I will more than likely stop following college basketball, very few will have the chance to repeat what Coach K has done and very few will be a quality guy like coach. There are only 1 in 500 who will come close so they need to get it right.

Yes Stevens is a quality guy but he is not close to leaving the NBA. He is years away from leaving Boston and after he is gone from there they will line up to get him to coach another NBA team, he is now an NBA lifer.

SkyBrickey
07-13-2019, 09:24 AM
I’d roll my dice with Coach Jon Scheyer with Coach Nolan as a lead recruiter. Let Zion or Kyrie or Jayson make a few we’ll timed calls in the early years to help sell the brotherhood. Battier can join the staff if he’s interested in getting into coaching. We don’t need Billy Donovan.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Yes Stevens is a quality guy but he is not close to leaving the NBA. He is years away from leaving Boston and after he is gone from there they will line up to get him to coach another NBA team, he is now an NBA lifer.

You may be right, but I'm wondering when you had that conversation with him........was it before or after Kyrie split the team?

budwom
07-13-2019, 04:23 PM
White is a very cautious guy, and politically astute. I bet he lets K make the pick. No better way to avoid criticism (though it's possible White will be gone before K).

MartyClark
07-13-2019, 05:54 PM
White is a very cautious guy, and politically astute. I bet he lets K make the pick. No better way to avoid criticism (though it's possible White will be gone before K).

I don't know why any coach should be allowed to pick his successor. An aging Coach K should have some input but I disagree with the notion that K, or Roy for that matter, are the best judges of who should replace them.

OldPhiKap
07-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Pitino is available. If we can get him back from Greece, of course.

Anyone talk to him lately?

sagegrouse
07-13-2019, 06:02 PM
I don't know why any coach should be allowed to pick his successor. An aging Coach K should have some input but I disagree with the notion that K, or Roy for that matter, are the best judges of who should replace them.

Well, Dean smith and John Thompson, Jr. managed to screw it up. Both quit during the season, leaving their schools no choice except to promote a long-time assistant, who didn't really measure up to the job. Yeah, I know, Guthridge made two Final Fours in three years, but he failed miserably at recruiting.

Duke should have a proper "nationwide search." Actually, Duke says that about nearly every vacancy in a major position at the University. Generals don't handpick their own successors, and neither should K. It is totally appropriate, nevertheless, that he be consulted during the selection process because everyone in the entire world will ask him his opinion after a successor is named.

devildeac
07-13-2019, 06:55 PM

If ol roy brought D'oh back, I'd endorse that selection.

Tazman10
07-13-2019, 07:12 PM
You may be right, but I'm wondering when you had that conversation with him....was it before or after Kyrie split the team?

He has been outspoken about wanting to work with Kemba.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-13-2019, 07:20 PM
He has been outspoken about wanting to work with Kemba.

That may or may not be his true feeling....he had to say that for PR. That said, I'm not claiming he is souring on the NBA, just claiming that compared to one year ago, he might be. Boston is a rough unforgiving town, especially since the Pats and the Sox have been spoiling them for quite some time. The Celts were a huge disappointment this season, and I"m not sure I ever remember a Stevens team being that in college or pros.

Tazman10
07-13-2019, 11:07 PM
That may or may not be his true feeling...he had to say that for PR. That said, I'm not claiming he is souring on the NBA, just claiming that compared to one year ago, he might be. Boston is a rough unforgiving town, especially since the Pats and the Sox have been spoiling them for quite some time. The Celts were a huge disappointment this season, and I"m not sure I ever remember a Stevens team being that in college or pros.

Really? in 2013-2014 the Celtics went 25-57 and in 2014-2015 they went 40-42. That is not disappointing and this year was? Really? LOL. Are the Red Sox tearing things up? I think this turned into a political thing.

budwom
07-14-2019, 08:02 AM

Kindly note that I did not state, nor do I feel, that K "should" pick his replacement. I said I think White (if still here) will make it easy on himself and let K do it. There's a difference.

4Gen
07-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Like some posters above posit, Scheyer will be a strong candidate. He's very smart, he's young, recruits adore him, K is an admirer, and if Duke doesn't hire him, another school quickly will. I think he's easily as qualifed as was K when hired.

53n206
07-14-2019, 10:08 AM
Like some posters above posit, Scheyer will be a strong candidate. He's very smart, he's young, recruits adore him, K is an admirer, and if Duke doesn't hire him, another school quickly will. I think he's easily as qualifed as was K when hired.

Sounds reasonable. No one else stands out.Stevens maybe, if he decides to return to the college level. Will the end of 'one and done" effect coachs' decisions re pro or college?

budwom
07-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Scheyer seems like a great young guy, and perhaps he deserves to be the next head coach, I'm agnostic on the issue..but I don't really think you can claim he's "easily as qualified as K was when hired"...K had been a head coach for five years, Scheyer never has. Again, I wouldn't preclude him, but the lack of head coaching experience is certainly one of many factors to be considered.

(Just a year ago, Capel was the guy being touted as the guy that recruits love, many hoped he'd be the next HC).

One question is, (which I don't think we can answer) would Capel and Scheyer be the recruiters they have been at Duke if K had not been head coach?

4Gen
07-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Duke's next hire will be made with the assumption that it is a long term hire. That means, of course, that Duke misses on whomever is not hired. My gut tells me Scheyer may be Brad Stevens and we don't need to miss that.

budwom
07-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Duke's next hire will be made with the assumption that it is a long term hire. That means, of course, that Duke misses on whomever is not hired. My gut tells me Scheyer may be Brad Stevens and we don't need to miss that.

Could well be, though Scheyer, until he coaches a game and has the responsibility of being the head guy in every way (discipline, motivation, administration, etc), benefits from the unknown.
I certainly have been impressed by how well he has been received on the recruiting trail...I wondered (along with many) if Capel could be adequately replaced in that role, and evidently he has. So far, so good.

Tazman10
07-14-2019, 12:57 PM
As I stated, ask yourself what you think Duke needs in their next coach, not think about whom but what.

I liked John as a player and as an assistant but you have no idea of what his head coaching is like. Coach K LIKES everyone on his staff, otherwise they would not be there.

The question is, IMO, how much harder will it be to recruit for John, Jeff, or whomever compared to Coach K? For me, like night and day, not even a close comparison. Look at Jeff in Pittsburgh, has he recruited a top 30 recruit yet? And Pitt is not use to winning like Duke is so they will take some extra time with Jeff but in the 4 years he has to get to the top tier of the ACC or he could be gone.

It is much much easier to recruit for Coach K than 99% of the other NCAA coaches. And Duke fans want to win now, we expect it.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-14-2019, 01:19 PM
This entire debate seems to be based on the premise that Duke must find a successor who carries the program forward without missing a beat. The likelihood of someone taking the reins with minimal to no backslide in recruiting and post season achievement during the transition period seems very, very low. I suspect Kevin White and K will work together to pinpoint someone who is most likely to succeed over the long term rather than focus on someone seen as a “keep winning right now this instant” option. We shall see, but hopefully at least not until his grandson has graduated.

budwom
07-14-2019, 01:26 PM
^ it's going to be a very different game for awhile assuming OAD is ended in a few years...

BandAlum83
07-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Duke’s next coach is SL: Sacrificial Lamb.

sagegrouse
07-14-2019, 02:34 PM
As I stated, ask yourself what you think Duke needs in their next coach, not think about whom but what.

I liked John as a player and as an assistant but you have no idea of what his head coaching is like. Coach K LIKES everyone on his staff, otherwise they would not be there.

The question is, IMO, how much harder will it be to recruit for John, Jeff, or whomever compared to Coach K? For me, like night and day, not even a close comparison. Look at Jeff in Pittsburgh, has he recruited a top 30 recruit yet? And Pitt is not use to winning like Duke is so they will take some extra time with Jeff but in the 4 years he has to get to the top tier of the ACC or he could be gone.

It is much much easier to recruit for Coach K than 99% of the other NCAA coaches. And Duke fans want to win now, we expect it.

Walking into the "Duke basketball circus" as head coach is a really tough job, even for a head coach with years and years of experience at a "high-major" school or in the NBA. I wouldn't wish this on Jon Scheyer or anyone else on the Duke bench today.

Recruitment by anyone following K will be harder, but it still says "Duke" on the front of the uniforms, a very strong brand in college hoops.

fuse
07-14-2019, 02:42 PM
Duke’s next coach is SL: Sacrificial Lamb.

Wisely said. Short of lightning striking twice, its hard not to draw parallels with Gut and D’Oh before the torch is truly passed.

I certainly hope for a different and better outcome. I don’t expect fans and alums to be patient.

Doug Collins sharing with Chris that he wouldn’t recommend following K is sound advice.

I’m not a basketball historian- who followed Rupp? Phogg? Wooden? Google-able facts, sure. It’s just as likely most won’t recall who follows K.

sagegrouse
07-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Wisely said. Short of lightning striking twice, its hard not to draw parallels with Gut and D’Oh before the torch is truly passed.

I certainly hope for a different and better outcome. I don’t expect fans and alums to be patient.

Doug Collins sharing with Chris that he wouldn’t recommend following K is sound advice.

I’m not a basketball historian- who followed Rupp? Phogg? Wooden? Google-able facts, sure. It’s just as likely most won’t recall who follows K.

Rupp: Joe B. Hall, and he won an NCAA championship (rats!) and appeared in three FF's, while continuing to dominate the SEC -- eight regular season championships
Wooden: Gene Bartow, who had a record of 52-9 in his two seasons, including one FF, but went back to UAB as the AD and head basketball coach
Phogg (head coach at Kansas for 50 years total): Dick Harp -- one FF and two Big Eight championships -- coached Wilt in college

Both Hall and Harp moved up the bench when their bosses retired -- kinda like Gut and Esherick (at Georgetown). Joe B. was the most successful of the four, I suppose.

SkyBrickey
07-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Once K is gone, the new coach will still have the Duke program and brotherhood to sell. It’s no small thing. And who better to sell it than a staff of guys who’ve worn the jersey and won national championships (Scheyer, Smith)? I can’t know for sure that Scheyer is ready for the challenge, but I fully expect White and K to be choosing among Scheyer, Wojo, Collins, Snyder, Amaker, Dawkins and Capel. Stevens is the one guy in all these years who has really stood out as an exceptional young coach who would fit at Duke. And I’m not expecting him to be available.

OldPhiKap
07-14-2019, 03:41 PM
It's over.

This cannot be over-emphasized.

Neals384
07-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Billy Donovan!

As the guy who closed the door on Kyle Singler’s NBA career, I’m no BD fan. For sure, Kyle’s game Didn’t translate well to the NBA and he wasn’t exactly filling the bucket. So it’s probably unfair of me to blame BD. Still, if he ever coaches at Duke, I’m outta here.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-14-2019, 05:45 PM

Again, you make some good points, but with a flawed analogy IMO. The Pitt situation has absolutely no relevance and no comparative value. The four letters on the front of the two jerseys makes all the difference....

HereBeforeCoachK
07-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Really? in 2013-2014 the Celtics went 25-57 and in 2014-2015 they went 40-42. That is not disappointing and this year was? Really? LOL. Are the Red Sox tearing things up? I think this turned into a political thing.

What do 2013 and 14 have to do with this? Several years is an eternity in the NBA. This was a horribly disappointing season in Boston, coming off of 2018 and adding a healthy Gordon H and Kyrie, and a year's experience to Tatum, to a team that surprised in 2018. Boston fully expected to represent the East and have a great shot at the title in 19.

Tazman10
07-14-2019, 07:20 PM
The Celts were a huge disappointment this season, and I"m not sure I ever remember a Stevens team being that in college or pros.

The reference to 2013-2014 and the 2014-2015 are in reference to this statement. I have to believe those years under Stevens were a more “Huge disappointment” than a year when they made the playoffs. Now if you want to say it was more disappointing than the previous season then you need to say that. But the reference was to all his college and NBA years.

And for someone to reduce Duke’s recruiting success to the 4 letters on the front of jersey as the reason for their success really is selling Coach K short. Wow is all I can say to that. IMO Coach K is way more of a selling point than the letters but Duke does help, just not nearly as powerful as Coach K.

Tazman10
07-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Rupp: Joe B. Hall
Wooden: Gene Bartow
Phogg (head coach at Kansas for 50 years total): Dick Harp.

And for the successes there have been unsuccesses like Gut and Doh at UNC and who replaced Bobbie Knight? Gut did good until all Dean’s talent was gone and Indiana has not seen any success. And those 2 stories are way more recent than Rupp, Wooden and Phogg. And Roy is a success but he was a good success before he came to UNC.

53n206
07-14-2019, 07:38 PM
As much as we hate to say it, Williams is a hell of a coach and recruiter. I'll take a clone of either Coach K or Coach Williams. Preferably Coach K.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-14-2019, 08:17 PM
And for someone to reduce Duke’s recruiting success to the 4 letters on the front of jersey as the reason for their success really is selling Coach K short. Wow is all I can say to that. .

Reading comprehension much? I never said that about K... I was talking about YOUR Capel Pitt example...I was not talking about K at all......not about K at all.....not about K at all....I was talking about your narrow Pitt and Capel analogy, which is not at all valid comparison to Capel at Duke potentially.

NSDukeFan
07-14-2019, 08:55 PM
As much as we hate to say it, Williams is a hell of a coach and recruiter. I'll take a clone of either Coach K or Coach Williams. Preferably Coach K.

I would like Duke to stick with some ethics and a clone of the former rather than the latter.

Tazman10
07-14-2019, 09:01 PM
The four letters on the front of the two jerseys makes all the difference...

No you did not say anything about Coach K but you did make the statement about the 4 letters.

I certainly can tell not all people on this site got a Duke degree, or even close to it.

sagegrouse
07-14-2019, 09:04 PM
No you did not say anything about Coach K but you did make the statement about the 4 letters.

I certainly can tell not all people on this site got a Duke degree, or even close to it.

Oooohh! Low blow!!

Kindly,
Sage
'IMHO (where the H lost got on the way to the 1964 regional finals), brandishing Duke degrees on this welcoming site is a no-no'

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-14-2019, 09:14 PM
https://youtu.be/gl1pjCsDDmA

JBDuke
07-14-2019, 09:35 PM
This is a tired topic, and the discussion is not offering anything new or of value. Furthermore, some of the posts here are infraction-worthy. This thread is closed.