PDA

View Full Version : 2019-20 DWBB Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

CameronBornAndBred
07-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Cool news! Wanisha Smith and Keturah Jackson are back in Cameron as assistant coaches this year. :)

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/former-duke-stars-return-as-assistant-coaches/18487895/

dudog84
07-07-2019, 11:56 PM
If CB&B doesn't mind, I'll throw this in here (it's not season related).

DWBB has its first 2020 recruit, PG Vanessa De Jesus from California. ESPN has her as the #57 recruit and #18 point guard in the class. But...

MaxPreps has her as a 2018-19 5th-team All-American. Therefore they think she's one of the top 25 players in the country regardless of class.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/sDnP0j7nv02Pv7vuM6FDAQ/maxpreps-2018-19-high-school-girls-basketball-all-american-team-.htm

And USAToday has her on their 2nd team all-California, the other 9 players are all Seniors and 1 Sophomore.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2018-19-all-usa-california-girls-basketball-team

I love a great point guard, the most important position on the team.

duke09hms
07-08-2019, 12:03 AM
If CB&B doesn't mind, I'll throw this in here (it's not season related).

DWBB has its first 2020 recruit, PG Vanessa De Jesus from California. ESPN has her as the #57 recruit and #18 point guard in the class. But...

MaxPreps has her as a 2018-19 5th-team All-American. Therefore they think she's one of the top 25 players in the country regardless of class.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/sDnP0j7nv02Pv7vuM6FDAQ/maxpreps-2018-19-high-school-girls-basketball-all-american-team-.htm

And USAToday has her on their 2nd team all-California, the other 9 players are all Seniors and 1 Sophomore.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/2018-19-all-usa-california-girls-basketball-team

I love a great point guard, the most important position on the team.

Other rankings for Vanessa De Jesus:

#57 -- ESPN
#76 -- Blue Star Report
#99 -- Prospects Nation

Welcome to Duke!

jimsumner
07-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Duke is in the mix for Cal transfer McKenzie Forbes. She's a 6-0 forward. Father played for Globetrotters. She was a McDonald's All-American. She played one year at Cal and is leaving because of a coaching change. Not clear if she would have to sit out a season. She's from California so distance from home could be a factor. But McCallie has had success getting players from California, e.g. Chelsea Gray, Oderah Chidom, Leaonna Odom, et, al.

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Duke is in the mix for Cal transfer McKenzie Forbes. She's a 6-0 forward. Father played for Globetrotters. She was a McDonald's All-American. She played one year at Cal and is leaving because of a coaching change. Not clear if she would have to sit out a season. She's from California so distance from home could be a factor. But McCallie has had success getting players from California, e.g. Chelsea Gray, Oderah Chidom, Leaonna Odom, et, al.

That's good to hear that at least we have a chance, Jim. Why would the one year sit out be murky, though? Seems like that would be a cut and dry case to enjoy a year of practice.

jimsumner
07-08-2019, 12:31 PM
That's good to hear that at least we have a chance, Jim. Why would the one year sit out be murky, though? Seems like that would be a cut and dry case to enjoy a year of practice.

Cal's head coach Lindsay Gottlieb left for the Cleveland Cavaliers and Forbes has cited that as her reason for transferring. The NCAA sometimes accepts that as a legit reason to waive the one-year-sit-out. Sometimes not and there are suggestions that the NCAA is going to tighten that up.

So, who knows? But get her in the bus first and worry about that down the road.

triaddukefan
07-09-2019, 09:05 PM
The 2019-20 roster is up. Jaida will be wearing #0. Jada will be wearing #4. Azana #11. Jennifer #22. A few observations... I can't recall a Duke WCBB player wearing #0 before. While not as jarring as seeing Mercedes Riggs in a #12 jersey the following year after Chelsea Gray's graduation, or Craig trotting out with a #23 jersey last season.... seeing the #4 jersey trot out this season will take a few games to get used to. Also the past few #4's ( Wells, Brown) have been smaller guards. Claude is taller (6'0) with a sturdier frame.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1846&SPSID=22763

dudog84
07-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Again using this thread as a catch-all for DWBB news. Chelsea Gray named a starter for the WNBA All-Star Game. Further solidifies my opinion that her season-ending injuries in her junior and senior years were devastating not just for those teams but for the program. What could have been...

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211806998&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Congrats to Chelsea!

dudog84
07-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Miela's Australia team has made the semi-finals in the U19 FIBA World Cup. They play Spain tomorrow, and the winner gets a probable final against the USA. Miela hasn't done much in the tournament, not getting many minutes. No idea what's going on.

CameronBornAndBred
07-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Miela's Australia team has made the semi-finals in the U19 FIBA World Cup. They play Spain tomorrow, and the winner gets a probable final against the USA. Miela hasn't done much in the tournament, not getting many minutes. No idea what's going on.
That's surprising; she sure was a factor for us last season.

dudog84
07-27-2019, 10:12 AM
It appears Miela was just waiting for the semi-finals. She won the game for Australia today. The Aussies (well, the official name is the Gems) were down 15-8, Miela comes in the game and hits two quick 3s and scores 11 points in about 5 minutes to give her team a lead they never relinquished. She had by far the best +/- on the team (+21) which included 3 steals.

Australia plays the USA tomorrow for the championship. The USA only had a 1-point lead with under 5 minutes to play against Belgium but pulled it out. Should be a good game.

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2019, 02:32 PM
It appears Miela was just waiting for the semi-finals. She won the game for Australia today. The Aussies (well, the official name is the Gems) were down 15-8, Miela comes in the game and hits two quick 3s and scores 11 points in about 5 minutes to give her team a lead they never relinquished. She had by far the best +/- on the team (+21) which included 3 steals.

Australia plays the USA tomorrow for the championship. The USA only had a 1-point lead with under 5 minutes to play against Belgium but pulled it out. Should be a good game.

Maybe she had the Kangaroo Flu in the earlier games.

CamrnCrz1974
09-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Recruiting 2020 Update:

Duke made the final five (along with Oklahoma, Washington, USC, and California) for Jordyn Jenkins, a 6-2 forward from Kent, Washington.

RECRUITING RANKINGS -- Jordyn Jenkins (2020)
#41 -- Prospects Nation
#42 -- espnW
#131 -- Blue Star Report

Duke has made the final six (along with UCLA, Cal, Oregon State, Princeton, and Stanford) for Dalayah Daniels, a 6-4 forward from Auburn, Washington.

RECRUITING RANKINGS -- Dalayah Daniels (2020)
#15 -- espnW
#15 -- Prospects Nation
#35 -- Blue Star Report

NOTE...Jordyn Jenkins and Dalayah Daniels are AAU teammates. This would tend to favor Duke, but the caveat is that Jenkins' best friend and HS & AAU teammate Jaquaya Miller is a freshman at Washington.

CamrnCrz1974
09-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Deja Kelly, a 5-8 point guard from Dallas, Texas, hosted Duke for a visit (Notre Dame, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, and Texas Tech also visited reportedly visited her in the spring; Notre Dame is hosting her for an official visit on September 27-29). Kelly had originally committed to Texas (when she was in middle school), but she de-committed last year.

Updated Recruiting Rankings -- Deja Kelly (2020)
#19 -- espnW
#31 -- Prospects Nation
#31 -- Blue Star Report

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Recruiting 2020 Update:

Duke made the final five (along with Oklahoma, Washington, USC, and California) for Jordyn Jenkins, a 6-2 forward from Kent, Washington.

RECRUITING RANKINGS -- Jordyn Jenkins (2020)
#41 -- Prospects Nation
#42 -- espnW
#131 -- Blue Star Report

Duke has made the final six (along with UCLA, Cal, Oregon State, Princeton, and Stanford) for Dalayah Daniels, a 6-4 forward from Auburn, Washington.

RECRUITING RANKINGS -- Dalayah Daniels (2020)
#15 -- espnW
#15 -- Prospects Nation
#35 -- Blue Star Report

NOTE...Jordyn Jenkins and Dalayah Daniels are AAU teammates. This would tend to favor Duke, but the caveat is that Jenkins' best friend and HS & AAU teammate Jaquaya Miller is a freshman at Washington.

Thanks for the updates. Why the huge gap in BSR for Jenkins?

CamrnCrz1974
09-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Ugonne Onyiah, a 6-3 center from Eastvale, California, has an offer from Duke (she also has offers from Arizona, Butler, California, Florida, Houston, Louisville, New Mexico, St. John’s, Utah, and Washington State; she has an official visit scheduled to California on September 28). Duke has also conducted a home visit with Onyiah.

Updated Recruiting Rankings -- Ugonne Onyiah (2020)
#51 -- espnW
#54 -- All Star Girls Report
#92 -- Blue Star Report
(not in Prospects Nation’s Top 100)

CamrnCrz1974
09-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the updates. Why the huge gap in BSR for Jenkins?

It could be many reasons.

Blue Star has Nike affiliations, whereas ASGR has addidas ties. There are not as many evaluators for women's basketball recruiting services (there is not nearly the same money in doing so as compared to the men), and it is
unclear how many opportunities there are for evaluators to see players (high school, state tournaments, AAU, etc.).

As an aside, this is what the rankings look like when ASGR is added for the current Duke targets:

Updated Recruiting Rankings -- Jordyn Jenkins (2020)
#41 -- Prospects Nation
#42 -- espnW
#70 -- All Star Girls Report
#131 -- Blue Star Report

Updated Recruiting Rankings -- Dalayah Daniels (2020)
#15 -- espnW
#15 -- Prospects Nation
#16 -- All Star Girls Report
#35 -- Blue Star Report

#19 -- espnW
#31 -- Prospects Nation
#31 -- Blue Star Report
#35 -- All Star Girls Report

#51 -- espnW
#92 -- Blue Star Report

Kedsy
09-11-2019, 04:44 PM
It could be many reasons.

Blue Star has Nike affiliations, whereas ASGR has addidas ties. There are not as many evaluators for women's basketball recruiting services (there is not nearly the same money in doing so as compared to the men), and it is
unclear how many opportunities there are for evaluators to see players (high school, state tournaments, AAU, etc.).

As an aside, this is what the rankings look like when ASGR is added for the current Duke targets:

Updated Recruiting Rankings -- Jordyn Jenkins (2020)
#41 -- Prospects Nation
#42 -- espnW
#131 -- Blue Star Report

Updated Recruiting Rankings -- Dalayah Daniels (2020)
#15 -- espnW
#15 -- Prospects Nation
#35 -- Blue Star Report

#19 -- espnW
#31 -- Prospects Nation
#31 -- Blue Star Report

#51 -- espnW
#92 -- Blue Star Report

Thanks for all the info. Weird how Blue Star Report is such a severe outlier for three of the four recruits.

awhom111
09-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the info. Weird how Blue Star Report is such a severe outlier for three of the four recruits.

Some of the recruiting services and their writers double-dip on their revenue streams and have clear conflicts of interest.

dudog84
09-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Vanessa DeJesus up to #37 (was 57) in ESPN rankings. I thought she might move up, she's very well-considered in California according to some articles I've read.

Every one of our targets moving up as well.

jimsumner
09-15-2019, 12:09 PM
A snapshot.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/9/14/womens-basketball-blue-devils-getting-stronger-faster-tougher.aspx

dudog84
09-15-2019, 12:26 PM
A snapshot.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/9/14/womens-basketball-blue-devils-getting-stronger-faster-tougher.aspx

Hah! I just came on here to post that.

Really hope the switch has gone on for Jade. If Leaonna plays to her potential every game this could be a great season. Also hope Kyra and Mikayla can be back to 100% by ACC time, not just for the team but for themselves.

Quick question, if Jim cares to answer: Have you seen enough of the freshmen yet to offer any analysis?

jimsumner
09-15-2019, 12:49 PM
Hah! I just came on here to post that.

Really hope the switch has gone on for Jade. If Leaonna plays to her potential every game this could be a great season. Also hope Kyra and Mikayla can be back to 100% by ACC time, not just for the team but for themselves.

Quick question, if Jim cares to answer: Have you seen enough of the freshmen yet to offer any analysis?

Haven't seen the freshmen at all. Jennifer Ezeh sat out the summer "dealing with personal issues." Not clear when that changes.

I'll be taking a longer look at the freshmen later this month.

CamrnCrz1974
09-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Vanessa DeJesus up to #37 (was 57) in ESPN rankings. I thought she might move up, she's very well-considered in California according to some articles I've read.

Every one of our targets moving up as well.

UPDATED RECRUITING RANKINGS – 2020 Commitment and Targets
Updated recruiting rankings, as of September 16, 2019

Vanessa DeJesus (2020) – COMMITMENT
#37 -- espnW (up from #57)
#75 -- Blue Star Report
#83 -- All Star Girls Report
#99 -- Prospects Nation

Jordyn Jenkins (2020) – Duke Target
#40 -- espnW (up from #42)
#41 -- Prospects Nation
#131 -- Blue Star Report

Dalayah Daniels (2020) – Duke Target
#14 -- espnW (up from #15)
#15 -- Prospects Nation
#35 -- Blue Star Report

Deja Kelly (2020) – Duke Target
#17 -- espnW (up from #19)
#31 -- Prospects Nation
#31 -- Blue Star Report

Ugonne Onyiah (2020) – Duke Target
#34 -- espnW (up from #51)
#92 -- Blue Star Report

burnspbesq
09-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Anyone else planning to attend the game at Texas A&M? I’ll be driving over from my new home just outside Austin, and would love to get together before or after.

CamrnCrz1974
09-27-2019, 01:13 PM
As I mentioned a few weeks ago on The Devil's Den, another name to keep an eye on is Australia's Agnes Emma-Nnopu (6-0 forward).

As an update, here is the good news: Australia's Agnes Emma-Nnopu will be visiting Duke next week.

Here are some notes regarding AEN from the recent 2019 FIBA U19 World's Basketball World Cup, where she was a teammate of Miela Goodchild:

For the entire 2019 FIBA U19 tournament, Agnes Emma-Nnopu averaged 6.1 points and 7.4 rebounds as a starter (23.2 minutes per game) for the Gems.
While Emma-Nnopu did not shoot well overall (29.2/26.7/78.6 ) in the seven games, her total numbers in the QF, SF, and gold medal game (the medal rounds, as they were) were as follows: 28 points, 24 rebounds, 12-28 from the floor (42.86 percent), and 3-11 from three (27.27 percent)
In the gold medal game against the United States, Emma-Nnopu had 9 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals while shooting 4-10 from the floor, 1-4 from three. Australia held a late lead with less than 20 seconds to go in the game before the Americans tied the score to force overtime (where Team USA prevailed).

Per my Australian source, Emma-Nnopu is known for her athleticism, hustle, and defense. In term of player comparison, think Karima Christmas.

CamrnCrz1974
10-02-2019, 01:28 PM
#17 -- espnW (up from #19)
#31 -- Prospects Nation
#31 -- Blue Star Report

Update regarding Deja Kelly

On September 30, 2019, Deja Kelly announced (via Twitter (https://twitter.com/dejakelly25/status/1178848782663983106)) her final five schools: Minnesota, Duke, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and North Carolina.

Ugonne Onyiah (2020) – Duke Target
#34 -- espnW (up from #51)
#92 -- Blue Star Report

Update regarding Ugonne Onyiah

As of early August 2019, Ugonne Onyiah has scholarship offers from Arizona, Butler, Cal, Duke, Florida, Houston, Louisville, New Mexico, St. John’s, Utah, and Washington State. She visited Arizona (https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/hansen-s-sunday-notebook-mckale-magic-on-display-during-red/article_c2ac2186-e261-11e9-8d90-3326a80efdee.html) this past weekend.

dudog84
10-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Update regarding Deja Kelly

On September 30, 2019, Deja Kelly announced (via Twitter (https://twitter.com/dejakelly25/status/1178848782663983106)) her final five schools: Minnesota, Duke, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and North Carolina.

Update regarding Ugonne Onyiah

As of early August 2019, Ugonne Onyiah has scholarship offers from Arizona, Butler, Cal, Duke, Florida, Houston, Louisville, New Mexico, St. John’s, Utah, and Washington State. She visited Arizona (https://tucson.com/sports/greghansen/hansen-s-sunday-notebook-mckale-magic-on-display-during-red/article_c2ac2186-e261-11e9-8d90-3326a80efdee.html) this past weekend.

Deja-Va(nessa DeJesus) would be a nice backcourt of the future.

Is Onyiah Nigerian (couldn't find anything online)? Does Akinbode-James give us any advantage there?

Kyra is going to ACC Media Day with Haley and Coach P. Is she 100%? That would be better than any recruiting news.

CamrnCrz1974
10-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Is Onyiah Nigerian (couldn't find anything online)? Does Akinbode-James give us any advantage there?

I could not find any information as to whether Ugonne Onyiah is from Nigeria.
As an aside, it is not just Onome Akinbode-James who is from Nigeria. Duke freshman Jennifer Ezeh is from Nibo, Anambra State, Nigeria.

Kyra is going to ACC Media Day with Haley and Coach P. Is she 100%? That would be better than any recruiting news.

Last I heard, Kyra will be good to go to start the year.

dudog84
10-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Last I heard, Kyra will be good to go to start the year.

Awesome! Thanks, I'm a big believer in the importance of the point guard. When's the last time we had a healthy pure point guard? (rhetorical question)

CamrnCrz1974
10-02-2019, 04:56 PM
As I mentioned a few weeks ago on The Devil's Den, another name to keep an eye on is Australia's Agnes Emma-Nnopu (6-0 forward).

As an update, here is the good news: Australia's Agnes Emma-Nnopu will be visiting Duke next week.

Agnes Emma-Nnopu is taking official visits to Boston College, Duke, Stanford, and Texas.

dudog84
10-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Agnes Emma-Nnopu is taking official visits to Boston College, Duke, Stanford, and Texas.

I was going to say this recruitment is on Miela, but it turns out both BC and Texas have TWO Australians on their roster.

Fun Fact: Stanford allows you to buy the Associate Head Coach's position. Seems about everything is for sale out there.

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

msdukie
10-02-2019, 09:51 PM
"Fun Fact: Stanford allows you to buy the Associate Head Coach's position. Seems about everything is for sale out there."

Duke also sells all the same naming rights.

dudog84
10-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Duke also sells all the same naming rights.

Stanford has THE H_____ AND I_____ B_______ ASSOCIATE HEAD WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACH.

If Duke has anything similar, please post. It will be the first I've heard of it.

DU82
10-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Stanford has THE H_____ AND I_____ B_______ ASSOCIATE HEAD WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACH.

If Duke has anything similar, please post. It will be the first I've heard of it.

Zac Roper is The Baxter Family Deputy Head Coach.

Stanford is the leader in this, but the goal is to eventually endow all coaching positions, same as with player scholarships.

dudog84
10-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Zac Roper is The Baxter Family Deputy Head Coach.

Stanford is the leader in this, but the goal is to eventually endow all coaching positions, same as with player scholarships.

So how much for dudog84 Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski?

And will the price be prorated after he retires?

devildeac
10-02-2019, 11:23 PM
I was going to say this recruitment is on Miela, but it turns out both BC and Texas have TWO Australians on their roster.

Fun Fact: Stanford allows you to buy the Associate Head Coach's position. Seems about everything is for sale out there.

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

Yep. The "c*rolina way" cost about $18M. :mad:

CamrnCrz1974
10-04-2019, 12:54 AM
I was going to say this recruitment is on Miela, but it turns out both BC and Texas have TWO Australians on their

The difference is Miela and Anges played on the Gems for the FIBA U19s. These are Australia’s best juniors.

Jim3k
10-04-2019, 01:07 AM
That's easy for me at my age--to become confused.

Still--We have on the roster:

Jayda (32)

Jade (25)

Jada (4)

Jaida (0)

What does P say when calling to them?

uh_no
10-04-2019, 02:53 AM

Jayda (32)

Jade (25)

Jada (4)

Jaida (0)

probably refers to them by numbers :)

uh_no
10-04-2019, 02:54 AM

Jayda (32)

Jade (25)

Jada (4)

Jaida (0)

probably refers to them by numbers as with opposing players. galaxy brain move all along.

dudog84
10-04-2019, 07:45 AM
The difference is Miela and Anges played on the Gems for the FIBA U19s. These are Australia’s best juniors.

Ok, so it's back on Miela. :)

Indoor66
10-04-2019, 08:04 AM

Jayda (32)

Jade (25)

Jada (4)

Jaida (0)

J-Lo
J-Hi
J-Med
J??????

DU82
10-04-2019, 01:06 PM
J-Lo
J-Hi
J-Med
J??????

J-Unfortunately not playing because of a torn ACL (that would be M. Adams.)

CamrnCrz1974
10-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Duke Recruiting Update and Finalists Tracker (2020)
October 4, 2019

— Vanessa DeJesus
Committed

— Agnes Emma-Nnopu (Australia)
Finalists: Boston College, Duke, Stanford, Texas (has visited all of the schools in the last week or so)

— Deja Kelly
Finalists: Duke, Minnesota, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Texas A&M (has taken visits to Minnesota and UNC)

— Dalayah Daniels
Finalists: UCLA, California, Duke, Oregon State, Princeton, Stanford (has taken visits to UCLA and Cal)

— Jordyn Jenkins
Finalists: Oklahoma, Washington, USC, Cal, Duke (has visited the first four listed schools, with the fourth visit taking place last weekend)

— Ugonne Onyiah
Finalists: Louisville, Arizona, Cal, USC (Duke did not make her final four)

msdukie
10-05-2019, 12:10 AM
So how much for dudog84 Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski?

And will the price be prorated after he retires?

The men's basketball head coaching position has a named endowment which was apparently named in his honor. K is the Michael W. Kryzewski Leadership Head Coach. Go read the media guide as I'm not making it up. The assistant coaches have endowed positions too, including by Pagliucas.

msdukie
10-05-2019, 12:18 AM
The men's basketball head coaching position has a named endowment which was apparently named in his honor. K is the Michael W. Kryzewski Leadership Head Coach. Go read the media guide as I'm not making it up. The assistant coaches have endowed positions too, including by Pagliucas.

Not sure why we are continuing this in a Duke WBB thread, but it started in here, so here goes (from 18-19 MBB media guide):

K: The Michael W. Krzyzewski Leadership Head Coach
Nate: The Homeland Foundation Associate Head Coach
Jon: The Steve & Judy Pagliuca Associate Head Coach
Carrawell: The Pagliuca Family Assistant Coach
Zach Marcus [staff assistant]: Varadhan Family Basketball Fellow Men's Basketball Assistant
Kenny King: The Steve and Melinda Duncker Academic Support Director & Campus Relations Coordinator

dudog84
10-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Not sure why we are continuing this in a Duke WBB thread, but it started in here, so here goes (from 18-19 MBB media guide):

K: The Michael W. Krzyzewski Leadership Head Coach
Nate: The Homeland Foundation Associate Head Coach
Jon: The Steve & Judy Pagliuca Associate Head Coach
Carrawell: The Pagliuca Family Assistant Coach
Zach Marcus [staff assistant]: Varadhan Family Basketball Fellow Men's Basketball Assistant
Kenny King: The Steve and Melinda Duncker Academic Support Director & Campus Relations Coordinator

Interesting. I didn't dive that deep. Had only gone to the roster sites for those 4 women's programs looking for Australians, and was surprised to see that the Stanford head and associate coaches had sponsors. Then went to goduke, and the roster pages for men's and women's teams, and it's not advertised there. Oddly, as DU82 noted, the football team roster page only shows Roper's sponsorship. Thanks to both of you for the education.

For what I can only imagine is a big chunk of change, I'm surprised the sponsors don't want it shown everywhere.

msdukie
10-06-2019, 01:23 AM
Interesting. I didn't dive that deep. Had only gone to the roster sites for those 4 women's programs looking for Australians, and was surprised to see that the Stanford head and associate coaches had sponsors. Then went to goduke, and the roster pages for men's and women's teams, and it's not advertised there. Oddly, as DU82 noted, the football team roster page only shows Roper's sponsorship. Thanks to both of you for the education.

For what I can only imagine is a big chunk of change, I'm surprised the sponsors don't want it shown everywhere.

Here is the full list of what is still for sale, regarding places, in addition to Duke selling the naming rights to all coaching positions:

http://duaa-naming-01.oit.duke.edu

Also, Duke has been advertising naming the entire athletic campus for $25M for quite a while and has found no takers. The Iron Dukes are currently focusing more on raising scholarship money than focusing on selling the naming rights all over athletics.

cspan37421
10-06-2019, 07:00 AM
I am reminded of the joke that ends, "We've already established that. Now we're just haggling over the price."

dudog84
10-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Here is the full list of what is still for sale, regarding places, in addition to Duke selling the naming rights to all coaching positions:

http://duaa-naming-01.oit.duke.edu

Also, Duke has been advertising naming the entire athletic campus for $25M for quite a while and has found no takers. The Iron Dukes are currently focusing more on raising scholarship money than focusing on selling the naming rights all over athletics.

Holy cow! I can get the Grassy Knoll named after me for only $250,000! What a bargain!

arnie
10-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Holy cow! I can get the Grassy Knoll named after me for only $250,000! What a bargain!

So what’s the cost to rename the university to Arnie World?

dudog84
10-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Wow. Chelsea Gray voted 1st team All-WNBA. Congrats. Makes me even sadder we lost her in both her junior and senior years. What might have been...

Congrats to Jasmine Thomas as well, voted to the 1st defensive team.

CamrnCrz1974
10-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Wow. Chelsea Gray voted 1st team All-WNBA. Congrats. Makes me even sadder we lost her in both her junior and senior years. What might have been...

Congrats to Jasmine Thomas as well, voted to the 1st defensive team.

Gray made the All-WNBA Second Team in 2017; this was her first appearance on the All-WNBA First Team. In addition, she was named a WNBA All-Star Game starter for the first time in her third consecutive All-Star appearance.

As for Thomas, this marks the third consecutive All-Defensive First Team honor for Thomas, a top on-ball defender who tied for eighth in steals (1.41 spg). She also made the All-Defensive Second Team in 2016.

This marks the fourth straight year that a Duke graduate made the WNBA All-Defensive First Team, with Thomas making it in 2017, 2018, and 2019, and Alana Beard earning All-Defensive First Team honors in 2016, 2017, and 2018 (and with Beard winning WNBA Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 and 2018).

CamrnCrz1974
10-08-2019, 12:58 PM
College Sports Madness previews the Top 44 teams leading up to the unveiling of the #1 on opening day of the Women's Basketball season.

#30 -- Duke
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17866

The link above has a good overall summary of last season and the goals and hopes for 2019-20 (mainly noting the need for good health for Kyra Lambert and Mikayla Boykin).

But the article also discusses the key departed players, key returning players, key new players, etc., with a healthy discussion of the 2019-20 season projection.

CamrnCrz1974
10-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Women’s Basketball Holds First Official Practice
https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/10/womens-basketball-holds-first-official-practice.aspx

Interview with Kyra Lambert (2019-20 WBB 1st Practice)
https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1875

Interview with Coach P (2019-20 WBB 1st Practice)
https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1876

jimsumner
10-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Freshmen center Jennifer Ezeh and junior guard Jayda Adams will miss this season due to knee injuries.

FWIW.

dudog84
10-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Haven't seen the freshmen at all. Jennifer Ezeh sat out the summer "dealing with personal issues." Not clear when that changes.

I'll be taking a longer look at the freshmen later this month.

Freshmen center Jennifer Ezeh and junior guard Jayda Adams will miss this season due to knee injuries.

FWIW.

Jim, you promised us some thoughts on the freshmen!

jimsumner
10-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Jim, you promised us some thoughts on the freshmen!

Still early in the month. :)

jimsumner
10-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Jaida Patrick goes by JP

Jada Claude goes by JC

Jayda Adams is still just Jayda.

Claude is an undersized post, 6-0, strong, very tough, great rebounder. Can she play inside in the ACC at that height?

Azana Baines has the most varied offensive game. She's 6-1, will play all three perimeter positions, loves to go to the hole, very creative around the basket.

Patrick is the best defender, an athletic 2, 3. About 5-10.

As an aside, Lambert is about two weeks away from full-practice mode. Boykin's surgery was more recent and her return is thus more down the line.

dudog84
10-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Jaida Patrick goes by JP

Jada Claude goes by JC

Jayda Adams is still just Jayda.

Claude is an undersized post, 6-0, strong, very tough, great rebounder. Can she play inside in the ACC at that height?

Azana Baines has the most varied offensive game. She's 6-1, will play all three perimeter positions, loves to go to the hole, very creative around the basket.

Patrick is the best defender, an athletic 2, 3. About 5-10.

As an aside, Lambert is about two weeks away from full-practice mode. Boykin's surgery was more recent and her return is thus more down the line.

Thank you!

triaddukefan
10-16-2019, 03:23 PM
ACC releases the preseason polls and awards. Louisville picked to finish in 1st.... 4 teams receive first team votes. Duke picked to finish 7th both by the coaches and the media. Gorecki picked for the All-ACC team by both the coaches and the media.

http://theacc.com/news/2019/10/16/louisville-selected-2019-20-acc-womens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

CameronBornAndBred
10-16-2019, 05:18 PM
ACC releases the preseason polls and awards. Louisville picked to finish in 1st... 4 teams receive first team votes. Duke picked to finish 7th both by the coaches and the media. Gorecki picked for the All-ACC team by both the coaches and the media.

http://theacc.com/news/2019/10/16/louisville-selected-2019-20-acc-womens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

Been a loooong time since we've seen ND predicted to be so low. (Low by comparison)
I would not mind seeing the Wuffettes living up to those expectations, that's good for "local business".

CamrnCrz1974
10-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Updated recruiting rankings, as of October 17, 2019

#37 -- espnW
#75 -- Blue Star Report
#105 -- Prospects Nation (down from #99)

#28 -- Prospects Nation (up from #41)
#40 -- espnW
#131 -- Blue Star Report

#14 -- espnW
#26 -- Prospects Nation (down from #15)
#35 -- Blue Star Report
NOTE: Dalayah Daniels visited Duke during the weekend of October 11.

#17 -- espnW
#30 -- Prospects Nation (up from #31)
#31 -- Blue Star Report

Previous Duke target Ugonne Onyiah released a final list of four schools (Louisville, Arizona, Cal, USC), with Duke not making the cut.

In addition, Australia's Agnes Emma-Nnopu recently gave a verbal commitment to Stanford over Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
10-17-2019, 04:45 PM

#37 -- espnW
#75 -- Blue Star Report
#105 -- Prospects Nation (down from #99)

#40 -- espnW
#131 -- Blue Star Report

#14 -- espnW
#26 -- Prospects Nation (down from #15)
#35 -- Blue Star Report
NOTE: Dalayah Daniels visited Duke during the weekend of October 11.

#17 -- espnW
#30 -- Prospects Nation (up from #31)
#31 -- Blue Star Report

Clearly some shenanigans going on with Deja Kelly and the last three services in actual agreement on something.

devildeac
10-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Clearly some shenanigans going on with Deja Kelly and the last three services in actual agreement on something.

Maybe they had a couple of these:

:rolleyes::o

jimsumner
10-20-2019, 12:24 PM
A look at some coaching changes.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/19/womens-basketball-fire-ice.aspx

chrishoke
10-20-2019, 06:18 PM
Blue-White game.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/20/womens-basketball-hosts-blue-white-scrimmage.aspx

CamrnCrz1974
10-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Blue-White game.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/20/womens-basketball-hosts-blue-white-scrimmage.aspx

Field Goal Percentage: 40-97 (.412)
3-pt Field Goal Percentage: 6-21 (.286)
Free Throw Percentage: 23-35 (.657)

Not having Kyra Lambert back just yet skews the A/TO ratio, as she would undoubtedly be the primary ballhandler. She would also help the three-point shooting, as a playmaker who could get the ball to players that much quicker and as someone who can hit the three herself.

AustinDevil
10-21-2019, 12:30 PM
A look at some coaching changes.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/19/womens-basketball-fire-ice.aspx

Anybody know why the Associate Head Coach left? Duke just says ""left the program," and his wiki says he is still at Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
10-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Anybody know why the Associate Head Coach left? Duke just says ""left the program," and his wiki says he is still at Duke.

I only know that he resigned back in the Spring after the season was over. He does work with international teams, so maybe that played into it.

chrishoke
10-21-2019, 06:48 PM
Any word on when Kyra will be back?

jimsumner
10-21-2019, 06:49 PM

Artistic differences.

CamrnCrz1974
10-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Coach Joanne P. McCallie, from Blue/White:

“The offenses this year are all from last year. They’re not brand new or anything, but it’s a different group of talent on the floor. It’s what we do with it and how we make it. We’ve got a long way to go.”

“We have to be flexible offensively, which we are and have built on. Defensively, we’ve got some work to do. We did shake it up really well in the second half. But defensively and with rebounding, we’ve got a long way to go. We can’t be going basically even with rebounds—that’s going to be trouble.”

https://goduke.com/watch/?Archive=1925&type=Archive

CamrnCrz1974
10-22-2019, 12:10 PM

#40 -- espnW
#131 -- Blue Star Report

Previous Duke target Ugonne Onyiah released a final list of four schools (Louisville, Arizona, Cal, USC), with Duke not making the cut.

In addition, Australia's Agnes Emma-Nnopu recently gave a verbal commitment to Stanford over Duke.

Jordyn Jenkins has given a verbal commitment to Southern Cal over Duke and others.

https://twitter.com/jordyn_jenkinss/status/1186451604205010944

CameronBornAndBred
10-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Coach Joanne P. McCallie, from Blue/White:

[I]“The offenses this year are all from last year. They’re not brand new or anything, but it’s a different group of talent on the floor. It’s what we do with it and how we make it. We’ve got a long way to go.”

Same tractor with new tires? :rolleyes:

jimsumner
10-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Haley Gorecki named to Meyers Drysdale Watch List for top 20 players.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/22/womens-basketball-gorecki-selected-to-meyers-drysdale-watch-list.aspx

CamrnCrz1974
10-25-2019, 02:07 PM
The Basketball Hall of Fame has partnered with the Women's Basketball Coaches Association in presenting five awards, named after arguably the best women to ever play the game, to the top college women's basketball players in the country each season at the five positions.

Voting is now open! Vote for the Duke players!

Haley Gorecki: Ann Meyers Drysdale Award (top shooting guard)
Leaonna Odom: Katrina McClain Award (top power forward)
Jade Williams: Lisa Leslie Award (top center)

Link: http://www.hoophallawards.com/women/vote.php

You may vote once per day. Vote early and often!

CamrnCrz1974
10-28-2019, 12:35 PM
The Chronicle's Duke women's basketball 2019-20 season preview

Duke basketball is officially back, and the women’s team is gearing up to have an exciting season with many storylines and surprises in store. The Chronicle has you covered with how the Blue Devils have prepared for this upcoming year and how their season shakes up as the year goes on.

Link: https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/10/the-chronicles-womens-basketball-2019-20-season-preview

'It’s Duke excellence from top to bottom': Wanisha Smith's journey back to the Blue Devil sidelines
Spencer Levy (The Chronicle)

In the midst of a discussion about career goals with a co-worker, the Cincinnati native received a call that encompassed the sentiment felt five seconds prior.
Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie was on the other end of the life-changing phone call as Smith’s former coach offered her an assistant coaching job.

Link: https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/10/duke-womens-basketball-wanisha-smith-journey

'All heart and soul': Haley Gorecki in position to make Duke women's basketball history
Jake C. Piazza (The Chronicle)

In an era where team sports have gravitated towards individual performances being valued more than the team itself, Gorecki is an anomaly.
“She’s all heart and soul and love of team and one of the gutsiest players I have ever known” said head coach Joanne McCallie. “The thing that separates her is that she is tough as nails…. She doesn’t want attention she just wants to win championships.”

Link: https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/10/duke-womens-basketball-haley-gorecki-grit

CamrnCrz1974
10-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Updated: October 28, 2019

— Vanessa DeJesus
Committed to Duke

— Deja Kelly
Finalists: Duke, Minnesota, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Texas A&M (has taken visits to all five schools; Duke was her last visit on 10/18)

— Agnes Emma-Nnopu (Australia) -- Committed to Stanford
Finalists: Boston College, Duke, Stanford, Texas

— Dalayah Daniels -- Committed to California
Finalists: UCLA, California, Duke, Oregon State, Princeton, Stanford

— Jordyn Jenkins -- Committed to USC
Finalists: Oklahoma, Washington, USC, Cal, Duke

— Ugonne Onyiah -- Committed to California

CameronBornAndBred
10-28-2019, 01:05 PM

— Vanessa DeJesus
Committed to Duke

Her HS men's team features the sons of Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. Bet that gym is packed on game nights.

CamrnCrz1974
10-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Her HS men's team features the sons of Lebron James and Dwayne Wade. Bet that gym is packed on game nights.

Sierra Canyon was also Marvin Bagley's high school.

CameronBornAndBred
10-30-2019, 02:10 PM
The AP preseason rankings are out, but Duke is not in. (No shock there.)
ACC teams are
#9 Louisville
#12 FSU
#14 NCSU
#16 ND
#18 Miami (tie)
#21 Syracuse

Once again, the conference is well represented.
We do have 4 votes.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

triaddukefan
10-30-2019, 03:38 PM
The AP preseason rankings are out, but Duke is not in. (No shock there.)
ACC teams are
#9 Louisville
#12 FSU
#14 NCSU
#16 ND
#18 Miami (tie)
#21 Syracuse

Once again, the conference is well represented.
We do have 4 votes.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Tied for 40th with UNC-CHeat. Behind such notables as Boise State and both South Dakota and South Dakota State. :eek: I think we're better than 40..... just have to go out an prove it. Hopefully like we did in 2016-17.

jimsumner
10-30-2019, 06:16 PM
Another snapshot

https://goduke.com/news/2019/10/27/womens-basketball-hard-work-paying-off-as-2019-20-season-opener-nears.aspx?path=wbball

chrishoke
11-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Duke is playing Alaska Anchorage in an exhibition and leads after one quarter 23-13. Na Odom hits her first career three pointer at the buzzer.

chrishoke
11-03-2019, 02:44 PM
51-33 at the half. This team is showing some firepower.

chrishoke
11-03-2019, 03:24 PM
73 - 47 after three. Duke is shooting 53% from the field.

chrishoke
11-03-2019, 03:49 PM
91 - 59 Final. Regular season begins Tuesday. Neither Boykin or Lambert played. Two freshmen scored in double digits, Baines and Claude.

jimsumner
11-03-2019, 06:14 PM
91 - 59 Final. Regular season begins Tuesday. Neither Boykin or Lambert played. Two freshmen scored in double digits, Baines and Claude.

Lambert is on track to see the court sometime this month. Unfortunately, not likely next week against Texas A&M. Remember, Lambert is from Texas.

Boykin had her surgery much more recently than Lambert and consequently is further behind.

jimsumner
11-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Pleasant surprise.

Kyra Lambert will play tonight in Duke's season opener against High Point.

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Pleasant surprise.

Kyra Lambert will play tonight in Duke's season opener against High Point.

Very cool. Will her action be limited?

chrishoke
11-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Outstanding news! Can't wait to see her back in action. Very happy for Kyra!

burnspbesq
11-05-2019, 02:35 PM
FWIW, Creme’s pre-season bracketology has Duke as an eight seed. Which feels about right. Expectation management will be a key to enjoying this season rather than moping through it or worse.

This is who we are. If you can’t deal ...

triaddukefan
11-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Kyra made her first bucket in over two years...... on a 75 foot heave to end the 1st quarter. :cool: Gotta believe it will end up on ESPN's top 10 plays of the day...or whatever they call it.

DU82
11-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Jayda (32)

Jade (25)

Jada (4)

Jaida (0)

Jayda, Jade, JC and JP.

DU82
11-05-2019, 08:06 PM
48-29 at the half. HPU with a lot of three attempts, not much else.

The play reflects this is the first game of the year.

chrishoke
11-05-2019, 09:06 PM
83-52 final. Kyra played, hit a three and scored 5.

DU82
11-05-2019, 09:37 PM
83-52 final. Kyra played, hit a three and scored 5.

Good first game. An over-matched and shorter HPU team made 9 threes, but shot 34 of them for 26%. good defensive effort there.

I liked the mobile offense, a lot of cuts to the basket. Looks like we’ll play nine, with Leaonna, Haley, Onome, Miata and Jade starting. Kyra will play limited minutes at the beginning, and three frosh, Jada, Jaida and Azana will play a lot. Good movement from them, a lot of slashing. 50% from three, including Leaonna’s first two career threes, and 22-25 from the line (88%).

Big step up in opponents on Sunday against #6 Texas A&M.

jimsumner
11-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Um, the final was 93-57.

dudog84
11-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Good first game. An over-matched and shorter HPU team made 9 threes, but shot 34 of them for 26%. good defensive effort there.

I liked the mobile offense, a lot of cuts to the basket. Looks like we’ll play nine, with Leaonna, Haley, Onome, Miata and Jade starting. Kyra will play limited minutes at the beginning, and three frosh, Jada, Jaida and Azana will play a lot. Good movement from them, a lot of slashing. 50% from three, including Leaonna’s first two career threes, and 22-25 from the line (88%).

Big step up in opponents on Sunday against #6 Texas A&M.

No surprise with a car on the team! :)

DevilHorse
11-06-2019, 08:47 AM
No surprise with a car on the team! :)

Kyra Lambert takes #3 on last night's Sports Center Top 10!

Larry
DevilHorse

chrishoke
11-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Duke's next game will be a bit tougher- at #6 Texas A&M.

jimsumner
11-08-2019, 03:15 PM
A look at Duke's freshmen.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/8/womens-basketball-freshmen-ready-to-contribute.aspx

CamrnCrz1974
11-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Next up for Duke is Texas A&M, in College Station Texas.

Team USA won an exhibition against Texas A&M last night by a score of 93-63, but the Aggies only trailed by three points after the first quarter (https://12thman.com/news/2019/11/7/womens-basketball-carter-sets-collegiate-scoring-record-against-team-usa.aspx). In the game, Chennedy Carter took down a 23-year old record as she scored 34 points against the U.S. National Team, knocking Michi Atkins of Texas Tech out of the record book.

Carter was shockingly efficient against Team USA (https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/tamu.sidearmsports.com/documents/2019/11/7/Gamebook_Team_USA_vs_Texas_A_M.pdf) (I use the word shockingly, as Carter is a volume shooter through whom the Aggies' offense runs, yet was still able to be incredibly effective against a pool of players from which the 2020 Olympic Team will be selected). She was 10-21 from the floor, 5-10 from three, and 9-9 from the line for 34 points (and with 3 assists, 2 blocks, and only one turnover). Her PPS (points per shot) was 1.619. To put that in perspective, 2018-19 NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpofinished sixth in the NBA in the PPS statistic for last season, at 1.60 (https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats?season=2018&category=SHOOTING&group=1&sort=16&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0).

Three additional tidbits from Texas A&M's performance against Team USA, which (hopefully) Duke can exploit:

First, Team USA shot 13-27 from three against the Aggies – and that was with Diana Taurasi shooting 1-5 from distance and the entire U.S. National Team shooting 1-8 from three in the second quarter. For Duke to take advantage of this, ball movement has to be incredibly crisp (where is where Lambert’s return will really help). Having newly found three-point prowess from Leaonna Odom and Jade Williams is crucial, as Duke can exploit mismatches and use a lineup (Lambert, Goodchild, Gorecki, Odom, Williams) that can shoot from all spots on the floor.

Second, A&M only committed 11 turnovers (which is really impressive against the U.S. National Team), but Team USA still converted those turnovers into 24 points. Maximizing efficiency in opportunities is crucial for Duke – whether it is a fast break bucket, a halfcourt set, or getting to the free throw line. Duke cannot have empty possessions after A&M turns the ball over.

Third, Carter played 32:03 against Team USA. The Aggies were -15 with her on the court. But the Aggies were -15 in the 7:57 when Carter was on the bench. Getting Carter in early foul trouble would be ideal, as Duke limits Texas A&M’s best creator which could stagnate the Aggies’ offense. Duke will have to see about matchups. If Carter is defending Gorecki or Lambert, Haley or Krya needs to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop to finish or have fouls drawn (Miela does not have the same ability to drive and is more prone to turning the ball over or having Carter simply steal it).

CamrnCrz1974
11-08-2019, 03:59 PM
A look at Duke's freshmen.

https://goduke.com/news/2019/11/8/womens-basketball-freshmen-ready-to-contribute.aspx

Excerpt:
Like all freshmen, there are areas of concern. All three are solid one-on-one defenders but Duke runs different zones, traps and presses, so there's a learning curve there.

We saw more man-to-man defense (and for longer stretches) against High Point than I can remember in recent memory. Given how the elite teams have been able to carve up Duke's matchup zone in recent years (their game plan is designed to attack it, as it is a McCallie stalwart), I hope that Duke will employ more man defense this year to best utilize the respective skillsets of these freshmen.

burnspbesq
11-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Pretty good turnout, a couple hundred folks in blue in a sea of maroon. Probably a total of 3,000 or so in a 12,000-seat arena.

loran16
11-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Unsurprisingly, after a solid first half, we turned out to be not in the same stratosphere as TAMU in the 2nd, now 75-52 with 2:42 to play.

No more ranked teams on the schedule in November, with the next one being mid December against SC. Hopefully this is just TAMU is really really really good and not "Here we go again."

burnspbesq
11-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Minus-21 on the glass was the difference in the game. We did a respectable job against Carter (25 for the game, but only nine in the second half). Haley forced a few, some of which were pretty egregious.

Next.

CamrnCrz1974
11-12-2019, 11:51 AM
With the Duke loss...

••• Dropped its third straight contest to Texas A&M and is now 1-6 all-time
••• Is now 0-4 on the road against A&M
••• Lost its 10th straight game against a ranked opponent and 14th consecutive road game against a ranked foe
••• Is now 9-7 all-time when playing in the state of Texas
••• Coach P is now 2-3 in the state of Texas since taking over Duke job in 2007-08
••• Won 39 out of the last 45 true road games in the month of November over last eight years
••• Coach P moved to 64-11 in November since arriving at Duke
••• Is now 40-26 against SEC opponents
••• Coach P moved to 23-23 against SEC opponents

Duke/Texas A&M Post-Game Notes (GoDuke.com)
https://goduke.com/documents/2019/11/10//AM_DU_Postgame_Notes.pdf

AustinDevil
11-12-2019, 02:24 PM
With the Duke loss...

••• Dropped its third straight contest to Texas A&M and is now 1-6 all-time
••• Is now 0-4 on the road against A&M
••• Lost its 10th straight game against a ranked opponent and 14th consecutive road game against a ranked foe
••• Is now 9-7 all-time when playing in the state of Texas
••• Coach P is now 2-3 in the state of Texas since taking over Duke job in 2007-08
••• Won 39 out of the last 45 true road games in the month of November over last eight years
••• Coach P moved to 64-11 in November since arriving at Duke
••• Is now 40-26 against SEC opponents
••• Coach P moved to 23-23 against SEC opponents

Duke/Texas A&M Post-Game Notes (GoDuke.com)

I guess some of the fairly terrible early Duke teams did not play against the SEC, because P is 23-23 against the SEC and Duke was 17-3 against the SEC before her arrival?

CamrnCrz1974
11-12-2019, 03:34 PM
I guess some of the fairly terrible early Duke teams did not play against the SEC, because P is 23-23 against the SEC and Duke was 17-3 against the SEC before her arrival?

I believe Coach P's record against SEC schools is for her entire career (Maine, Michigan State, and Duke).

Kfanarmy
11-12-2019, 03:53 PM
With the Duke loss...

••• Lost its 10th straight game against a ranked opponent and 14th consecutive road game against a ranked foe ....

ouch! very telling measurement of where the program stands performance wise. Surprised that was in the post game notes!

CameronBornAndBred
11-12-2019, 04:00 PM
ouch! very telling measurement of where the program stands performance wise. Surprised that was in the post game notes!

To be fair to that factoid, A&M was ranked 6th, and on their own court.
Also to be fair, there was a time not that long ago that we would have at least been competitive. We'll be playing some other ranked teams this year, and some will be outside of the top 10. Those will be the ones to get a better gauge on where this team is, and if there is improvement from last year or more of the same.

CamrnCrz1974
11-12-2019, 04:51 PM

— Vanessa DeJesus
Committed to Duke

— Deja Kelly
Finalists: Duke, Minnesota, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Texas A&M (has taken visits to all five schools; Duke was her last visit on 10/18)

— Agnes Emma-Nnopu (Australia) -- Committed to Stanford
Finalists: Boston College, Duke, Stanford, Texas

— Dalayah Daniels -- Committed to California
Finalists: UCLA, California, Duke, Oregon State, Princeton, Stanford

— Jordyn Jenkins -- Committed to USC
Finalists: Oklahoma, Washington, USC, Cal, Duke

— Ugonne Onyiah -- Committed to California

Per Dan Olson (via ESPN):

There is also No. 17 prospect Deja Kelly, who is believed to have narrowed down her search to two schools -- North Carolina and Texas A&M -- after she decommitted from Texas.

What to expect for 2019 women's college basketball signing week (ESPN)
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28021794/what-expect-2019-women-college-basketball-signing-week

triaddukefan
11-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Per Dan Olson (via ESPN):

There is also No. 17 prospect Deja Kelly, who is believed to have narrowed down her search to two schools -- North Carolina and Texas A&M -- after she decommitted from Texas.

What to expect for 2019 women's college basketball signing week (ESPN)
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28021794/what-expect-2019-women-college-basketball-signing-week

Batted 1 out 6.... thats below the Mendoza line. :(

Im fine if the Kelly kid chooses TAMU, different story if she chooses that other school.

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2019, 10:55 AM
As Awhom pointed out in his broadcast thread, Duke plays at UNLV tonight. (He's got a link to the video in his post.)

I looked them up to see how they did last year, and it wasn't good. They finished 12-18, although they did have a winning conference record.
This is a game that Duke should win, even in an away game.

Duke dominated them last year at home 66-38, I have faith we'll come away with the victory.

hallcity
11-14-2019, 11:11 AM
As Awhom pointed out in his broadcast thread, Duke plays at UNLV tonight. (He's got a link to the video in his post.)

I looked them up to see how they did last year, and it wasn't good. They finished 12-18, although they did have a winning conference record.
This is a game that Duke should win, even in an away game.

Duke dominated them last year at home 66-38, I have faith we'll come away with the victory.

There's never any reason for faith in a team coached by Joanne McCallie. Especially on the road.

Kfanarmy
11-14-2019, 02:56 PM
To be fair to that factoid, A&M was ranked 6th, and on their own court.
Also to be fair, there was a time not that long ago that we would have at least been competitive. We'll be playing some other ranked teams this year, and some will be outside of the top 10. Those will be the ones to get a better gauge on where this team is, and if there is improvement from last year or more of the same.

Right and right. From where I sit, the drop off in TV coverage is as telling as anything. Just can't find the Duke women on national coverage anymore.

dudog84
11-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Ugh.

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Ugh.

24-21 HT score...on the losing side. That's not good.
If Duke loses this game, the whole season is gonna be a wash.

dudog84
11-14-2019, 09:36 PM
24-21 HT score...on the losing side. That's not good.
If Duke loses this game, the whole season is gonna be a wash.

A "wash" is too clean of a term.

dudog84
11-14-2019, 10:19 PM
The only positive I take away from that mess is that Kyra is moving really well. The season depends on her.

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2019, 10:22 PM
Whew, they woke up. But still...that was not an impressive win.

DU82
11-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Duke-Northwestern tied at the half at 25. First quarter was 19-11 NW. we switched to man to man, and that messed up the Wildcats. After starting hot from 3, they ended the half 3-11.

Offensively, well...

Actually, I see signs of life from the frosh Baines and Claude, they seem to have a clue what to do, just haven’t executed fully. Jade Williams I believe is the high scorer with 6, but like the UNLV game isn’t really playing well. Miala’s missed a few open shots, and rushed a few others. leoanna’s shot’s off, too, but is getting some open looks.

DU82
11-17-2019, 04:05 PM
And then an 8-0 run by NW to start the second half, just like the first.

loran16
11-17-2019, 04:14 PM
SOOOOOO Many Missed Layups this quarter. It is getting painful to watch.

Northwestern isn't playing particularly well, Duke just can't convert any of its looks - and a lot of them are pretty darn close.

loran16
11-17-2019, 04:25 PM
End 3: NW 54, Duke 29. A 29-4 point NW Quarter....just awful on both ends.

SouthernDukie
11-17-2019, 04:27 PM
That was an ugly quarter.

dubldvman
11-17-2019, 04:40 PM
The story of the demise of a once respected and highly competitive program continues. Players lack basic fundamentals. Offensively woeful. Most players regress from their HS play. Athletics administration seem content with this state of affairs however and McCallie content with a 30 point win by her alma mater. So all good I suppose.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2019, 05:16 PM
It's obviously way early in the season, but this is looking once again like another season with not much to pay attention to after March.
Losing to a Big 10 team is one thing, but losing to an unranked Big 10 team at home by almost 20 is a huge fail.

miramar
11-17-2019, 05:52 PM
End 3: NW 54, Duke 29. A 29-4 point NW Quarter...just awful on both ends.

Does anyone know if that is an all-time Duke record for the lowest number of points in a quarter?

If not, by definition it must be awfully close. Maybe Dean Smith coached a game back in 1979 when the entire WBB coaching staff fell ill.

cspan37421
11-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Four point plays are impressive. Four point quarters, not so much.

Q: "How do you feel about your offense?"
A: "Offensive!"

hallcity
11-17-2019, 06:04 PM
To quote the Bard, “Will it be ever thus?” Sure, until we get a new coach. Until that happens there will be no end to the downward drift. Duke once was averaging over 4,000 attendance and going to Final Fours. Now, our attendance is in the hundreds and we’re contenders for nothing. This is easily the biggest failing of the Kevin White era at Duke.

jimsumner
11-17-2019, 06:34 PM
This was pretty bad. Think of a positive you would like to see for your athletic team; poise, focus, intensity, grit, toughness and it was lacking.

They need to hit the reboot button hard.

Phredd3
11-17-2019, 06:57 PM
This was pretty bad.

You are generous. The second half was the worst half of basketball I have ever seen at Cameron, full stop. And it came after a nice defensive effort prompted a solid second-quarter comeback. We were primed to show we were the better team. Then we just mentally left the building. It was nothing short of devastating.

accfanfrom1970
11-17-2019, 06:58 PM
To quote the Bard, “Will it be ever thus?” Sure, until we get a new coach. Until that happens there will be no end to the downward drift. Duke once was averaging over 4,000 attendance and going to Final Fours. Now, our attendance is in the hundreds and we’re contenders for nothing. This is easily the biggest failing of the Kevin White era at Duke.

When my daughter played HS and AAU basketball Duke women were hot. I got tickets for most of the team and coaches to watch Duke v. UConn at Cameron. Duke was down but made a run and the place was loud and rocking. Alana was awesome. At one point the girls coaches looked at each other and had to shout over the crowd “this is what I came for.” I wonder if we’ll ever get back there.

CamrnCrz1974
11-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Deja Kelly, 5-8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX), has announced her commitment to North Carolina, their fifth 2020 commit. Her other finalists were Duke, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. Ranked #17 in her class by espnW.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1196436972581064704

diablesseblu
11-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Deja Kelly, 5-8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX), has announced her commitment to North Carolina, their fifth 2020 commit. Her other finalists were Duke, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. Ranked #17 in her class by espnW.

This is no surprise. Banghart had been my dream to replace McCallie (if only). Bubba made a home run hire when he plucked her from Princeton.

miramar
11-18-2019, 05:14 PM

About the only good thing that I can say about WBB recruiting for 2020 is that UNC is not cleaning up either. Right now they have the ESPN HoopGurlz 17, 50, and 90. Duke only has #37. (For 2019 Duke got 57, 61, and 65.)

As we know, the talent differential in WBB is such that you need players in the top 25 to be competitive, and it is kind of shocking that Duke and UNC have a total of one top recruit.

ND has 23, 25, 32, and 44, while Syracuse has 5, 11, and 91. Louisville has 8 and 18, and Georgia Tech has numbers with 31, 64, 66, and 74.

There is only one uncommitted player in the top 50 and four in the top 100, so unless players change their minds, there isn't a whole lot of available talent out there.

Unfortunately, this kind of recruiting suggests that things could get worse before they get better.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

burnspbesq
11-18-2019, 05:24 PM
The less said about that third quarter, the better. That was at the Clemson/Wake/BC level. Not sure why i should continue to follow Duke when I have three top programs (UT, A&M, and Baylor) within easy driving distance.

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2019, 05:30 PM
The less said about that third quarter, the better. That was at the Clemson/Wake/BC level. Not sure why i should continue to follow Duke when I have three top programs (UT, A&M, and Baylor) within easy driving distance.

So you can say "I remember when Coach P dragged us in to the dungeon before Coach X lifted us back up into the castle, and I stayed on board for the ride."

I'm not ever giving up on our team, even though I've given up on our coach.

jimsumner
11-18-2019, 06:43 PM
It will be very interesting to see how the team reacts.

loran16
11-18-2019, 08:54 PM

When Burn has given up on a Duke team, it's truly a sign of awfulness.

heyman25
11-19-2019, 05:46 AM
The story of the demise of a once respected and highly competitive program continues. Players lack basic fundamentals. Offensively woeful. Most players regress from their HS play. Athletics administration seem content with this state of affairs however and McCallie content with a 30 point win by her alma mater. So all good I suppose.
Kevin White would have to be an idiot to renew Joanne McCallie's contract. UNC has the coach Duke should have tried to get.

arnie
11-19-2019, 06:47 AM
Kevin White would have to be an idiot to renew Joanne McCallie's contract. UNC has the coach Duke should have tried to get.

I hope you’re right, but he’s had one opportunity to move on (albeit with some $$ changing hands) and didn’t do it. He probably knows there’s only one coaching hire he needs to get right in about 4 years, the others are just noise.

killerleft
11-19-2019, 09:54 AM
I hope you’re right, but he’s had one opportunity to move on (albeit with some $$ changing hands) and didn’t do it. He probably knows there’s only one coaching hire he needs to get right in about 4 years, the others are just noise.

He may retire and let someone else worry about this stuff.

jimsumner
11-21-2019, 06:36 PM
Jada Claude will start tonight against Idaho State. Onome Akinbode-James off the bench.

dudog84
11-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Apologies in advance for the lengthy post. But I come to a somewhat weighty conclusion so I feel I need to support that conclusion.

I was shocked when I saw the pre-season rankings that had us at 40 in the AP with a measly 4 votes, and absolutely no votes in the Coach’s poll (53 teams received votes). How could that be? We had all five starters back. From an average team, but still. There was talent.

Haley Gorecki – one of only 2 ACC players to receive a vote for the AP pre-season All-America team. Only 15 got votes nationwide, so she is considered a top 20 player. 5th-year senior, all the experience you could want.

Leaonna Odom – senior. Ranked #9 in high school. When she wants to play, she might be one of the top 10 players in the country. She was one of the best players on the court as a sophomore against UConn (22 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists).

Miela Goodchild – no high school ranking, but was probably top-20 in the class. One of the best freshman 3-point shooters in the country, she broke Becca’s freshman record and Becca was ranked #6.

Jade Williams – junior, #14 high school and everyone was raving about what a great summer she had. Was hoping she was just a year late in developing (always like to see that sophomore surge).

Onome Akinbode-James – showed some promise as a freshman.

Then in support:

Kyra Lambert – yes, coming off an injury but Coach P said she was looking better than ever. As a 5th-year, if she’s healthy she’s one of the top point guards in the country. She was the #9 recruit in high school. And from what I saw in the UNLV game, she appears healthy.

Freshman class – decent support, no big stars but a couple of them were ranked in the 20s by one of the recruiting services (the rankings above were ESPN). So there was hope.

I wondered how the pollsters could be so wrong about us. They weren’t.

No shame in losing to Texas A&M. They were ranked #5. But I thought we would have a chance. They’ve only got 1 top-50 recruit on their entire team! (I did not check to see if they have any high-value transfers)

Then UNLV stayed with us well into the 4th quarter. What? They’ve got 1 top-100 recruit on the entire team! She was ranked 82!

Then the debacle of Sunday. Losing at home to Northwestern by 21 points. I figured some of our players got hurt. Nope. Our top 4 players all got 30+ minutes. Northwestern does not have a single top-50 recruit on their team!

I honestly thought this was going to be a great year, that we would have a shot at a Final Four. Lots of experience, Kyra should be in game shape by ACC time, and even a chance that Mikayla Boykin could be in game shape by February.

But it had to be this year. Haley, Leaonna, and Kyra will all be gone. Next year Jade will be the only top-20 recruit on the entire team (caveat for Miela). Recruiting had some slight promise, but now we’ve whiffed on everyone but a single recruit, #37.

Speaking of which, recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Top recruit in this year’s freshman class is ranked #57 (again, that’s ESPN) Miela was a pleasant surprise the year before, but our top American high-schooler was ranked #77.

This is as good a place as any to say the miss on Bella Alarie was unforgiveable.

The future is bleak. The girls don’t have the deep pool of talent that the boys do. Virtually every Final Four team has at least one top-5 recruit, usually several. We’re not even coming close.

I thought Coach P was a good coach (some on this board probably think I gave her too much benefit of the doubt). She was successful before she came to Duke. The Chelsea Gray class was spectacular, and it was very bad luck when Chelsea went down mid-season in both her junior and senior years. I’ve written before that Mike Krzyzewski probably never becomes "Coach K" if Johnny Dawkins had gotten hurt his junior (probably completely miss the NCAAs) and senior years (certainly no Final Four).

But them’s the breaks, and it appears Coach P has lost it. I am loathe to call for people to get canned, but when you’re reportedly making over $1 million/year you have to produce. You have to. So she has to go.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Apologies in advance for the lengthy post. But I come to a somewhat weighty conclusion so I feel I need to support that conclusion.

I was shocked when I saw the pre-season rankings that had us at 40 in the AP with a measly 4 votes, and absolutely no votes in the Coach’s poll (53 teams received votes). How could that be? We had all five starters back. From an average team, but still. There was talent.

Haley Gorecki – one of only 2 ACC players to receive a vote for the AP pre-season All-America team. Only 15 got votes nationwide, so she is considered a top 20 player. 5th-year senior, all the experience you could want.

Leaonna Odom – senior. Ranked #9 in high school. When she wants to play, she might be one of the top 10 players in the country. She was one of the best players on the court as a sophomore against UConn (22 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists).

Miela Goodchild – no high school ranking, but was probably top-20 in the class. One of the best freshman 3-point shooters in the country, she broke Becca’s freshman record and Becca was ranked #6.

Jade Williams – junior, #14 high school and everyone was raving about what a great summer she had. Was hoping she was just a year late in developing (always like to see that sophomore surge).

Onome Akinbode-James – showed some promise as a freshman.

Then in support:

Kyra Lambert – yes, coming off an injury but Coach P said she was looking better than ever. As a 5th-year, if she’s healthy she’s one of the top point guards in the country. She was the #9 recruit in high school. And from what I saw in the UNLV game, she appears healthy.

Freshman class – decent support, no big stars but a couple of them were ranked in the 20s by one of the recruiting services (the rankings above were ESPN). So there was hope.

I wondered how the pollsters could be so wrong about us. They weren’t.

No shame in losing to Texas A&M. They were ranked #5. But I thought we would have a chance. They’ve only got 1 top-50 recruit on their entire team! (I did not check to see if they have any high-value transfers)

Then UNLV stayed with us well into the 4th quarter. What? They’ve got 1 top-100 recruit on the entire team! She was ranked 82!

Then the debacle of Sunday. Losing at home to Northwestern by 21 points. I figured some of our players got hurt. Nope. Our top 4 players all got 30+ minutes. Northwestern does not have a single top-50 recruit on their team!

I honestly thought this was going to be a great year, that we would have a shot at a Final Four. Lots of experience, Kyra should be in game shape by ACC time, and even a chance that Mikayla Boykin could be in game shape by February.

But it had to be this year. Haley, Leaonna, and Kyra will all be gone. Next year Jade will be the only top-20 recruit on the entire team (caveat for Miela). Recruiting had some slight promise, but now we’ve whiffed on everyone but a single recruit, #37.

Speaking of which, recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Top recruit in this year’s freshman class is ranked #57 (again, that’s ESPN) Miela was a pleasant surprise the year before, but our top American high-schooler was ranked #77.

This is as good a place as any to say the miss on Bella Alarie was unforgiveable.

The future is bleak. The girls don’t have the deep pool of talent that the boys do. Virtually every Final Four team has at least one top-5 recruit, usually several. We’re not even coming close.

I thought Coach P was a good coach (some on this board probably think I gave her too much benefit of the doubt). She was successful before she came to Duke. The Chelsea Gray class was spectacular, and it was very bad luck when Chelsea went down mid-season in both her junior and senior years. I’ve written before that Mike Krzyzewski probably never becomes "Coach K" if Johnny Dawkins had gotten hurt his junior (probably completely miss the NCAAs) and senior years (certainly no Final Four).

But them’s the breaks, and it appears Coach P has lost it. I am loathe to call for people to get canned, but when you’re reportedly making over $1 million/year you have to produce. You have to. So she has to go.

Usually with a long post I will edit my quote down to the important part that I want to highlight.
So, I'm doing that with your post.
Unable to spread the love...but "off the cliff" sporks to you.

CameronBornAndBred
11-25-2019, 02:51 PM
New head coach at UNC recruits a HS star over Duke. The elite do not want to play for McCallie.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28107539/no-17-prospect-kelly-going-north-carolina

gotta be pretty easy for UNC to recruit over duke right now. help rebuilding a storied program under a new coach vs ride a sinking ship. The extension a couple years ago has not turned out to be fruitful.

It's more than just a "new coach". As others have pointed out, Banghart is a proven winner. She won big with an Ivy, too, which is even more impressive. She could have been at any school right now, and easily recruit over P. Unfortunately for us, she happens to be just a few miles down the road now.

(quotes pulled from the broadcast thread)

budwom
11-25-2019, 03:10 PM
seriously, wake me when the nightmare is over. I can't bear to watch a single game, and I used to watch every one I could.

jimsumner
11-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Duke had one of its better games today, a 66-50 win over previously undefeated Penn, one of the preseason Ivy favorites. Leaonna Odom had one of her best games at Duke, 23 points, 16 rebounds, a couple of assists and some really good defense on Kayla Padilla, Penn's best player, helping hold her to 5-for-14 shooting.

Haley Gorecki only scored 12 points but had 10 assists and should have had more had Duke not missed some bunnies.

Duke led 38-22 at the half but wobbled in the third quarter against an effective zone press. But Duke regrouped in the 4th, outscoring Penn 17-6 and pulling away.

One game next week, at Nebraska in the ACC-Big 10 Challenge, a chance to see if Duke has shaken off its early-season road woes.

hallcity
11-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Take a look at the “crowd” for the game (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKjz6dsUYAA0WYt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096). Didn’t Duke average over 4,000 women’s attendance at one time? I know it’s Black Friday but still ...

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2019, 10:05 PM
Take a look at the “crowd” for the game (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKjz6dsUYAA0WYt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096). Didn’t Duke average over 4,000 women’s attendance at one time? I know it’s Black Friday but still ...

The men's game was "sparsely" attended tonight as well, so I would chalk up lots of the weak crowd to being on a holiday during the day. Yes, would have been nice to have more there, but it's not the best game to use as a marker.

burnspbesq
12-02-2019, 04:49 AM
In Duke’s three toughest games so far this year—the two losses and the win over Penn—the Blue Devils are an aggregate -44 in the third quarter. Chew on that for a minute.

loran16
12-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Well Duke playing Nebraska tight through 2 quarters, though slipped a little in the 2nd. Sigh.

loran16
12-04-2019, 09:00 PM
LOL, There may be no dumber way to lose than a travel on the attempt at a game tying possession. And why the heck did P use her last timeout for....D if she was just going to foul instead of saving it to advance the ball?

Sigh.

CameronBornAndBred
12-04-2019, 09:02 PM
I didn't get to watch, but at least it was close, which isn't bad for an away game vs a 8-1 team.
Noticed we only had 13 TOs for the game, that's an improvement.

awhom111
12-04-2019, 10:06 PM
LOL, There may be no dumber way to lose than a travel on the attempt at a game tying possession. And why the heck did P use her last timeout for...D if she was just going to foul instead of saving it to advance the ball?

Sigh.

It looked like Odom was cramping up and limping around before that last timeout and they wanted to check that out before Nebraska could take advantage of that although Nebraska was about to take a timeout themselves to advance it.

dudog84
12-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Another loss to a "less talented" team. From what I can tell, Nebraska's top 3 players were ranked 38, 69, and 82 in high school. No other top 100 recruits.

Does not bode well for the ACC season.

loran16
12-04-2019, 10:29 PM
It looked like Odom was cramping up and limping around before that last timeout and they wanted to check that out before Nebraska could take advantage of that although Nebraska was about to take a timeout themselves to advance it.

But P asked Duke to foul instead of trying to play defense (which is the right move mind you), so there was no need to actually call a timeout, just get the quick foul and you can sub out Odom.....if Nebraska doesn't call timeout themselves, which they were very likely to do!

Nebraska hilariously had all four timeouts available in the final two minutes. With Duke needing them to possibly advance the ball to save time, P had used all of them, the last on defense. And P would've used it earlier to negate one of our own buckets had the ref given her the call.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-05-2019, 08:06 AM
LOL, There may be no dumber way to lose than a travel on the attempt at a game tying possession. And why the heck did P use her last timeout for...D if she was just going to foul instead of saving it to advance the ball?

Sigh.

Well, you could attempt a bad shot too early in a tie game, giving the other team just enough time to hit a layup at the other end at the buzzer...

diablesseblu
12-05-2019, 11:38 AM
This has certainly never been McCallie's strong suit as a coach.

DU82
12-08-2019, 01:48 PM
First conference game, home against BC.

First time this season Mikayla Boykin was participating in the pre-game warmups. Hope that means she’s ready to play.

chrishoke
12-08-2019, 01:55 PM
First conference game, home against BC.

First time this season Mikayla Boykin was participating in the pre-game warmups. Hope that means she’s ready to play.

Talk about a must win.

DU82
12-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Mikayla is sitting on the “injuries” end of the bench with Jennifer and Jayda, so she’s probably not playing today. Still encourage she’s in warmups.

After a slow start, Duke leads 23-14 after one, BC even sloppier than we are with the ball and don’t seem to be able to shoot.

They did drive inside for a while, drawing fouls, but more ball pressure slowed that down. On the off service end, we realized we COULD drive, and are getting reasonably easy shots there.

chrishoke
12-08-2019, 02:54 PM
Duke leads 40-34 at half. We can't rebound or hit free throws.

DU82
12-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Duke leads 40-34 at half. We can't rebound or hit free throws.

The zone hurts us on rebounds, and BC is pretty good; they get a lot of practice with all their missed shots.

They’re 12-15 from the line, we’re 4-8. Lot of questionable calls in my slightly biased view.

DU82
12-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Faster paced third quarter, Duke extends the lead 62-49.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2019, 04:00 PM
They might be few and far between this season, but at least the ladies start their ACC journey with a win.
I'm hopeful they can surprise us all.

PS...at least we aren't Pitt fans. Eeek.

burnspbesq
12-09-2019, 02:39 AM
They might be few and far between this season, but at least the ladies start their ACC journey with a win.
I'm hopeful they can surprise us all.

PS...at least we aren't Pitt fans. Eeek.

Or they might not be few and far between. I can see as many as ten or eleven ACC wins. Clemson, Pitt, UVa, and Wake all look terrible. GaTech, VaTech, and the Cheats have run up gaudy non-conference records but mostly against teams outside the top 150. Of the good teams, State is the only one we play twice.

21-10 probably gets us in as an eight or nine seed.

CameronBornAndBred
12-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Or they might not be few and far between. I can see as many as ten or eleven ACC wins. Clemson, Pitt, UVa, and Wake all look terrible. GaTech, VaTech, and the Cheats have run up gaudy non-conference records but mostly against teams outside the top 150. Of the good teams, State is the only one we play twice.

UVA is 4-5, but look at who they played. Blown out by UCONN, a three point loss to #13 Kentucky, a respectable loss to #11 UCLA, and a loss at unranked USC. I wouldn't say they look terrible at all; we'll find out very soon.
Our next 4 ACC games are at Louisville, at UVA, home against VT and ND.
If we come away with two victories in that stretch, I'll be happily surprised and feeling much more optimistic. Funny thing is that I feel better with our chances against the Irish than I do the other three.

Edit, oops I forgot Wake. We play them first, and that's gonna be a win. Like you said, they are not good.

Kfanarmy
12-09-2019, 10:31 AM

the ACC doesn't appear too strong.... A return to the NCAAs is a reasonable goal for the program.

uh_no
12-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Winning each of those games, even if favored, is not a likely scenraio, though. Getting to 500 would be a good goal for this team, which essentially finished 6-10 last year. I also think the cheats are very good and have a pretty good shot to sweep us. ND being down benefits us, and we could certainly take a win off them.

So I'd be looking for 500 and a bid. Anything else is gravy.

CameronBornAndBred
12-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Our upcoming schedule

@ #5 SC
@ FGCU
Wake
@ #7 Louisville
@ UVA
VT
ND

It's a good thing we have Wake in there, because the rest of that schedule is pretty tough. (FGCU isn't ranked, but they are only a couple votes away.)
If we come away from that stretch with our record still over .500, that will be a good sign.

dudog84
12-09-2019, 02:39 PM
the ACC doesn't appear too strong... A return to the NCAAs is a reasonable goal for the program.

This is pathetic when you think about it.

We have the 2015 #9 recruit (5th-year graduate student), 2016 #9 recruit, and 2017 #14 recruit. That does not include Haley, who got votes for every preseason All-America team, which means she is a top 20 player (with 5th year experience as well). It also doesn't include Miela, who would have probably been a top 20 recruit if she had gone to a U.S. high school, or Mikayla who was the 2017 #21 recruit and will be available soon.

And we're just hoping the team can sneak into the NCAAs.

jv001
12-09-2019, 04:36 PM
This is pathetic when you think about it.

We have the 2015 #9 recruit (5th-year graduate student), 2016 #9 recruit, and 2017 #14 recruit. That does not include Haley, who got votes for every preseason All-America team, which means she is a top 20 player (with 5th year experience as well). It also doesn't include Miela, who would have probably been a top 20 recruit if she had gone to a U.S. high school, or Mikayla who was the 2017 #21 recruit and will be available soon.

And we're just hoping the team can sneak into the NCAAs.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a ducks, well you know the rest. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-09-2019, 05:38 PM
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a ducks, well you know the rest. GoDuke!

Maybe she and Zac Roper can switch jobs.....shake it up.....both are stuck in the mud right now.

CamrnCrz1974
12-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Per CollegeRpi.com, regarding projections for Duke’s season (as of December 10, 2019):

Projected Record: 17-13 (10-8)
Projected RPI Rank: 32
Projected SOS Rank: 3

While the overall record would not be great, the RPI would be quite good and the SOS would be outstanding.

uh_no
12-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Per CollegeRpi.com, regarding projections for Duke’s season (as of December 10, 2019):

Projected RPI Rank: 32

While the overall record would not be great, the RPI would be quite good and the SOS would be outstanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_Women%27s_Basketball_Tourname nt

If last year's field is any indication, the committee doesn't give many squats about RPI, with teams having the 50th 51st and 60th RPI getting bids.

The worst record to get in was the heels, at 18-14. three teams got in at 19-12.

The heels also had an 8-8 ACC record.

So the resume you suggested would put us squarely on the bubble, and I expect it would come down to who we beat. UNC's win over ND played large, I expect.

Either way, it seems finishing in the top half of the ACC is a must.

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2019, 01:55 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_Women%27s_Basketball_Tourname nt

If last year's field is any indication, the committee doesn't give many squats about RPI, with teams having the 50th 51st and 60th RPI getting bids.

The worst record to get in was the heels, at 18-14. three teams got in at 19-12.

So the resume you suggested would put us squarely on the bubble, and I expect it would come down to who we beat. UNC's win over ND played large, I expect.

I'd guess that a winning conference record moves us in, especially if we have at least a win or two in Greensboro.

ikiru36
12-13-2019, 03:14 PM
{Click on below for a cool little video}

https://www.facebook.com/DukeWBB/videos/2383926828522581/

Ok, so she already verbally committed to Duke in the Spring.

But just noting that she has now formally signed and, apparently, has moved up to an ESPN 5-star rating and a grade of 97? (I saw that someone elsewhere noted that at the time of her verbal signing in May, she was a 4-star there, with a grade of 91.)

Plus, she has a pretty awesome name that is also (for once, of late) not a variation on the name Jade!!!

https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/12/womens-basketball-mccallie-adds-vanessa-de-jesus-in-early-signing-period.aspx
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/237475

Anyways, glad for any possible positive news about the program, including/especially regarding recruiting.

So welcome (again), Vanessa!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrishoke
12-13-2019, 05:14 PM
{Click on below for a cool little video}

https://www.facebook.com/DukeWBB/videos/2383926828522581/

Ok, so she already verbally committed to Duke in the Spring.

But just noting that she has now formally signed and, apparently, has moved up to an ESPN 5-star rating and a grade of 97? (I saw that someone elsewhere noted that at the time of her verbal signing in May, she was a 4-star there, with a grade of 91.)

Plus, she has a pretty awesome name that is also (for once, of late) not a variation on the name Jade!!!

https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/12/womens-basketball-mccallie-adds-vanessa-de-jesus-in-early-signing-period.aspx
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/237475

Anyways, glad for any possible positive news about the program, including/especially regarding recruiting.

So welcome (again), Vanessa!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, the top 53 in the ESPN top 100 are ranked as 5 stars. Grade inflation?

CamrnCrz1974
12-16-2019, 09:16 AM
NCAA RPI Rankings (through games of December 15, 2019)
#24. Duke

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-rpi

CamrnCrz1974
12-16-2019, 09:20 AM
FYI, the top 53 in the ESPN top 100 are ranked as 5 stars. Grade inflation?

Dan Olson has different ranking systems/ratings on his site, as compared to the rankings on ESPN.

For ESPN, any player with a rating between 96 and 100 has five stars. Any player with a rating between 91 and 95 has four stars.

And the ratings/rankings systems on ESPN are different for men's and women's recruiting.

heyman25
12-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Duke Women's Soccer Goalie has some great lineage. Personal: Full name is Brooke Elizabeth Heinsohn … Born March 11, 1998 in Newton, Mass. … Daughter of Paul and Carmel Heinsohn … Has two sisters, Danielle (24) and Victoria (21) … Her grandfather, Tommy, played for the Boston Celtics (1956-65), coached with the Celtics (1969-79) and has been the television announcer for the Boston Celtics since 1980 … Her father, Paul, played football at Duke (1978-80) and graduated in 1982 … Her mother, Carmel, graduated from Duke in 1982 … Her sister, Danielle, played soccer at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (2010-13) … The Rivers School Honor Roll from 2012-15.
https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/16/womens-soccer-heinsohn-receives-scholar-all-south-region-honors.aspx:rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Duke Women's Soccer Goalie has some great lineage. Personal: Full name is Brooke Elizabeth Heinsohn … Born March 11, 1998 in Newton, Mass. … Daughter of Paul and Carmel Heinsohn … Has two sisters, Danielle (24) and Victoria (21) … Her grandfather, Tommy, played for the Boston Celtics (1956-65), coached with the Celtics (1969-79) and has been the television announcer for the Boston Celtics since 1980 … Her father, Paul, played football at Duke (1978-80) and graduated in 1982 … Her mother, Carmel, graduated from Duke in 1982 … Her sister, Danielle, played soccer at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (2010-13) … The Rivers School Honor Roll from 2012-15.
https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/16/womens-soccer-heinsohn-receives-scholar-all-south-region-honors.aspx:rolleyes:

Very cool. And here's the fixed link. (Without the eye roll, ha!)
https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/16/womens-soccer-heinsohn-receives-scholar-all-south-region-honors.aspx

CamrnCrz1974
12-17-2019, 09:23 AM

As of this morning (December 17, 2019), RealTimeRPI (http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Women.html) has Duke ranked 23rd in RPI. Examining the Duke profile on the site (http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_123_Women.html), these are the current projections:

Projected RPI Rank: 31

The projected RPI is up from #32 and still with an incredibly strong strength of schedule.

As of December 9, 2019, ESPN's Charlie Creme had Duke listed among the "First Four Out" in his most recent bracketology projections (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology). A record of 17-13 -- even with ten conference wins -- is not likely to make the NCAAT based on history (which uh_no referenced in the quoted post), not to mention the ten conference wins comes with a caveat, as the ACC is playing 18 conference games.

This is where the next two games are critical. Both are on the road; both are against very good opponents and likely conference winners. RealTimeRPI projects South Carolina to win the SEC and finish third overall in RPI (http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_361_Women.html), while Florida Gulf Coast (FGCU) is projected to win the Atlantic Sun and finish 23rd in RPI (http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_437_Women.html). A win against either team would put Duke's projected record at 18-12 and would be considered a quality win.

As a caveat, the projection is based on games played to date. As Kyra Lambert loses some of the rust from missing two full years of basketball and as Mikayla Boykin works her way back into playing (giving Duke some quality depth), Duke may find itself exceeding the projected record and could conceivably get to 20 wins.

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2019, 09:25 PM
DeJesus is listed as one of 10 players to watch at this week's Nike Tournament of Champions.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28276716/10-women-basketball-prospects-watch-nike-tournament-champions

jimsumner
12-18-2019, 12:49 PM
RE: Boykin. I'm still hearing January for Boykin. She's working out without discomfort but has not been cleared for full contact practices.

dudog84
12-19-2019, 07:49 PM
5 points in the 2nd quarter. 15 turnovers (against 4 assists) in the 1st half, I believe 11 of those were in the 2nd quarter.

Think about that. 1 quarter, 5 points, 11 turnovers. Are these really college scholarship players?

CameronBornAndBred
12-19-2019, 07:50 PM
5 points in the 2nd quarter. 15 turnovers (against 4 assists) in the 1st half, I believe 11 of those were in the 2nd quarter.

Think about that. 1 quarter, 5 points, 11 turnovers. Are these really college scholarship players?

Best part of the game so far was the Teddy Bear Toss.

CameronBornAndBred
12-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Duke is on pace to have more TOs than points. Right now it is essentially tied. (23 pts, 22 TOs)

Stray Gator
12-19-2019, 08:26 PM

With 14 minutes to go in the game, Duke has 23 points and 22 turnovers. SMH. It's the same story year after year under McCallie -- the team performs below the talent level of its individual players because they clearly are not being coached in the fundamentals of the game. I don't know what she has them do during practice, but I wonder how long our players and fans must suffer the indignity of a continuing decline in this once-proud program before White recognizes that Duke can and should do better?

CameronBornAndBred
12-19-2019, 08:51 PM
I don't have enough adjectives to describe how disgusting that game was.
43 point loss, 89-46.

jwillfan
12-19-2019, 09:29 PM
I don't have enough adjectives to describe how disgusting that game was.
43 point loss, 89-46.

Aaaand...any interest I had, however small it was, is now gone. Will now stop paying attention or reading threads for the rest of the season.

So glad the men played so I wasn't tempted to try and watch or listen. Wake me up when we get a new coach.

dudog84
12-19-2019, 10:30 PM
Aaaand...any interest I had, however small it was, is now gone. Will now stop paying attention or reading threads for the rest of the season.

So glad the men played so I wasn't tempted to try and watch or listen. Wake me up when we get a new coach.

You're not the only one. It appears the team isn't interested either.

CameronBornAndBred
12-19-2019, 11:27 PM
The game was so awful it was historic.

That was the largest margin of defeat for the Blue Devils (7-4) since (Coach Dawn) Staley's Cavaliers had a 93-48 win over Duke during Staley's senior season in 1992.
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401166788

This is not a good stretch for the Blue Devils, who finished with 30 turnovers at South Carolina. They've committed 55 miscues in their last two games.

burnspbesq
12-20-2019, 12:20 AM
If that doesn’t get Mr. White’s attention, one wonders what would.

burnspbesq
12-20-2019, 12:36 AM
Come home, Lindsey. Your alma mater needs you.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2019, 01:14 AM
Come home, Lindsey. Your alma mater needs you.

I hadn't thought about Lindsey before. She's obviously got the heritage, and she has broken barriers in the NBA. My big question would be over recruiting. Can't say that she wouldn't gain a young woman's attention. My top pick has always been Joy Cheek, because she's a proven recruiter with lots of college coaching experience.
Of course in both there is a danger in bringing back a player we loved and seeing things not work out so well on the bench.

duke74
12-20-2019, 06:09 AM
I hadn't thought about Lindsey before. She's obviously got the heritage, and she has broken barriers in the NBA. My big question would be over recruiting. Can't say that she wouldn't gain a young woman's attention. My top pick has always been Joy Cheek, because she's a proven recruiter with lots of college coaching experience.
Of course in both there is a danger in bringing back a player we loved and seeing things not work out so well on the bench.

Prime example to me - where I now teach - St. John’s and Chris Mullin.

uh_no
12-20-2019, 10:19 AM
If that doesn’t get Mr. White’s attention, one wonders what would.

perhaps they can treat the symptoms by allowing alcohol sales at games

CamrnCrz1974
12-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Prime example to me - where I now teach - St. John’s and Chris Mullin.

Sidney Lowe//NC State is another example.

CamrnCrz1974
12-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Duke women's basketball suffers worst loss since 1992 against No. 5 South Carolina
Bre Bradham (The Chronicle)

But instead of David taking down Goliath with a slung rock, Duke threw the rock away more times than the team put it through the hoop on the way to its second-worst offensive performance of the season.

The Gamecocks won 89-46 Thursday night, a massive 43-point margin of victory. The last time Duke lost by more than 40 points was also at the hands of Gamecock head coach Dawn Staley's team, back when she was a senior playing for Virginia in 1992.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/12/duke-womens-basketball-south-carolina-dawn-staley-miela-goodchild

bluedevilsince72
12-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Its obvious Kevin White stopped caring about women's hoops a while ago.

The mentions of Harding and Cheek coming back as the head coach are incredibly naive. Both would be great assistants, but they don't have the coaching experience to save Duke. This cant be a learning on the job type thing.

To save this sinking ship, Duke will need to hire a coach with head coaching experience at the D1 level. Michigan head coach, Kim Arico, has built up a great program and plays a fun, fast paced style. I would love Walz from Louisville but I doubt he leaves that program. Oregon head coach, Graves, has also done an amazing job. Lindsey Whalen has done a good job at Minn but only has a few years of coaching experience so that worries me. But there is another bball coach at Duke who has done quite well with only a few years of experience at Army before coaching at Duke.

But again, it all requires an AD that cares about a once proud women's basketball program. I don't have my hopes up.

Kfanarmy
12-20-2019, 11:43 AM
This is pathetic when you think about it....And we're just hoping the team can sneak into the NCAAs.I agree, but that is where the program is. If you can set aside the lofty status the program held in 2007, it is much more acceptable: a top 50ish program, with the 2019 team coming off a 43 point loss to #5 South Carolina.If you look at the team historically, with kind of a wide angled view; I would say the success of Gail Goestenkors has almost been wiped clean. The team is just about back to where it was when she took over in 1992. The SC loss is the worst since that year and the year by year record is slipping back there.

jimsumner
12-20-2019, 11:53 AM
No way to polish this one. This was bad, historically bad.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2019, 11:59 AM
The mentions of Harding and Cheek coming back as the head coach are incredibly naive. Both would be great assistants, but they don't have the coaching experience to save Duke. This cant be a learning on the job type thing.

Joy Cheek has been an assistant coach since 2011, with turns at Duke, Ohio and currently Clemson. It might not be at Duke, but she is going to be a head coach somewhere, and likely soon. She is a proven recruiter, one that Duke owes some of it's top classes to.

heyman25
12-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Bella Alarie Mark's daughter is in the newsstand issue of SLAM. Now a Senior at Princeton. I wonder if Auriemma's assistant Shea Ralph might be interested. From Joey Baker's hometown Fayetteville.
https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/shea-ralph/600

heyman25
12-20-2019, 09:57 PM
Another great UConn coach Chris Daily.
https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/chris-dailey/603
Convince her to leave Auriemma's shadow.

sagegrouse
12-20-2019, 10:09 PM
https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/chris-dailey/603

I dunno -- Geno had surgery in the last day or so to remedy a diverticulitis problem and is off the bench for an undetermined period. This is lower GI stuff and tends to be chronic. A little instability with UConn WBB.

bluedevilsince72
12-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Joy Cheek has been an assistant coach since 2011, with turns at Duke, Ohio and currently Clemson. It might not be at Duke, but she is going to be a head coach somewhere, and likely soon. She is a proven recruiter, one that Duke owes some of it's top classes to.

And what is Clemson's record? My guess is that Cheek saw the pitfalls of Coach P at the helm and intelligently made a quick departure. Going from asst to head coach is extremely difficult. Next Duke coach must have head coaching experience.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2019, 10:48 PM
And what is Clemson's record? My guess is that Cheek saw the pitfalls of Coach P at the helm and intelligently made a quick departure. Going from asst to head coach is extremely difficult. Next Duke coach must have head coaching experience.

Clemson sucks, but I've never seen an assistant take the blame for a team's failures in basketball.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Bella Alarie Mark's daughter is in the newsstand issue of SLAM. Now a Senior at Princeton. I wonder if Auriemma's assistant Shea Ralph might be interested. From Joey Baker's hometown Fayetteville.
https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/shea-ralph/600

I dunno -- Geno had surgery in the last day or so to remedy a diverticulitis problem and is off the bench for an undetermined period. This is lower GI stuff and tends to be chronic. A little instability with UConn WBB.

This kind of talk excites me. I have faith that this will be P's last season. (I was not always a detractor, btw, but the line was crossed a couple seasons ago.)
I have no idea who our next coach will be, I only hope that they can bring some excitement and success back to the program. At this point, it feels like it will be the equivalent of Cut taking over at Duke his first season. A daunting challenge, nobody expected miracles, but we were all excited.

DU82
12-20-2019, 11:00 PM
This kind of talk excites me. I have faith that this will be P's last season. (I was not always a detractor, btw, but the line was crossed a couple seasons ago.)
I have no idea who our next coach will be, I only hope that they can bring some excitement and success back to the program. At this point, it feels like it will be the equivalent of Cut taking over at Duke his first season. A daunting challenge, nobody expected miracles, but we were all excited.

The program is nowhere near as bad as the football program. There’s talent; I’d expect Wes Moore would have this team in the top tier of the conference (maybe not with Louisville but close.)

uh_no
12-20-2019, 11:04 PM

she's 60 and in the women's bball hall of fame, and makes north of 300k, which isn't what duke is paying P, but likely on par for what a first-time head coach might get. I don't see her trying to go build a program at this point, and I'm not sure it would be the right move for duke, who even were she successful, would likely need to go looking for a new coach soon anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have her here at Duke, I just don't see it happening.

hallcity
12-20-2019, 11:11 PM
she's 60 and in the women's bball hall of fame, and makes north of 300k, which isn't what duke is paying P, but likely on par for what a first-time head coach might get. I don't see her trying to go build a program at this point, and I'm not sure it would be the right move for duke, who even were she successful, would likely need to go looking for a new coach soon anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have her here at Duke, I just don't see it happening.

McCallie is making about $1.2 million a year.
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/joanne-p-mccallies-salary.92760/

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2019, 11:40 PM
The program is nowhere near as bad as the football program. There’s talent; I’d expect Wes Moore would have this team in the top tier of the conference (maybe not with Louisville but close.)

Yet. But it's getting there. Comparing the two sports is apples and oranges due to the number of games played, but there are some things we can highlight.
We used to be an opponent that teams would love to play, because it gave THEM exposure.
No more.
We used to be an opponent that elite teams wanted to play because it aided their SOS, win or lose.
No more.
We used to fill Cameron with very respectable crowds, both levels, even in lesser games. Had it to the rafters for the elite.
No more.
We used to take the NCAAs for granted.
No more.
We used to take having byes for the ACC tourney for granted.
No more.

You say we are nowhere near as bad as how football was. I agree. But we are trending, and I don't want to get there. I don't want to see any Duke sports team get there. Kevin White needs to stop this leak now, unless he has an urge to see history repeat on his watch.

PS..yes we have talent, but we have little coming in. In women's basketball, "talent" levels are far apart. We have upper level talent leaving, and middle shelf coming in. That is not a good recipe for success.

arnie
12-21-2019, 07:39 AM
McCallie is making about $1.2 million a year.
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/joanne-p-mccallies-salary.92760/

White gave her a big raise and extended her contract. If he fired her this year he’d have to pay the buyout and more importantly, admit he screwed up. Most AD’s aren’t gonna do that in a low profile, money losing sport.

Duke fans have to hope he doesn’t extend her again; the program is lifeless.

sagegrouse
12-21-2019, 08:54 AM
White gave her a big raise and extended her contract. If he fired her this year he’d have to pay the buyout and more importantly, admit he screwed up. Most AD’s aren’t gonna do that in a low profile, money losing sport.

Duke fans have to hope he doesn’t extend her again; the program is lifeless.

The Internets say her contract is good through next season, extended in 2017. We'll see.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2019, 09:11 AM
The Internets say her contract is good through next season, extended in 2017. We'll see.

Given that, don’t we need to just suck up the buy-out and move on? How can she recruit and secure next year’s class and the class afterwards if she does not have an extension?

I have not been on the dump P train, but I think it left the station regardless. It would take a great finish to derail it.

budwom
12-21-2019, 10:15 AM
Given that, don’t we need to just suck up the buy-out and move on? How can she recruit and secure next year’s class and the class afterwards if she does not have an extension?

I have not been on the dump P train, but I think it left the station regardless. It would take a great finish to derail it.

The way White manages, I'm sure that balancing the budget is high on his list of priorities, so I fear/suspect we won't see a payout to make her go away, as much as she merits that. A serious brown feather in Kevin White's managerial chapeau.
From a perennial top program to an embarrassment.

chrishoke
12-21-2019, 10:54 AM

And unfortunately it's very likely to get much worse next year.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2019, 05:43 PM
The way White manages, I'm sure that balancing the budget is high on his list of priorities, so I fear/suspect we won't see a payout to make her go away, as much as she merits that. A serious brown feather in Kevin White's managerial chapeau.

And unfortunately it's very likely to get much worse next year.

And that’s the financial interest too.

Scenario one: suck up the buy-out, get someone new and hope to be up and rising in two or three years. Maybe respectable in say 2023.

Scenario two: go through a zombie year where the coach cannot recruit effectively for 2021 or 2022; get someone new and have her/him start in an even deeper hole and emptier cupboard than we will be in come April. Maybe respectable in 2025.

Both lose money. Which one loses more?

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Scenario one: suck up the buy-out, get someone new and hope to be up and rising in two or three years. Maybe respectable in say 2023.

Scenario two: go through a zombie year where the coach cannot recruit effectively for 2021 or 2022; get someone new and have her/him start in an even deeper hole and emptier cupboard than we will be in come April. Maybe respectable in 2025.

One loses more fans, too. Not just loses them, but ticks them off.

Sixthman
12-21-2019, 07:24 PM
Outrageous ambitions.

heyman25
12-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Since the decline of the McCallie lead Duke Team, I feel Kevin White should manage as a business decision if McCallie gets bought out or just wait until the contract expires. This is about the only sport at Duke that has an underachieving coach. Dan Brooks and K are at the top. Pollard Danowski are also outstanding. Robbie Church ,Pam Bustin, Kristen Kimel, and Marissa Young have success. Duke is competetive in Men's Golf,Women's Tennis, Men's Tennis. Dick Vitale's grandsons that are 6'6 twins are coming to Duke in tennis.Swimming has produced Olympians and since Track and Field had their new stadium built adjacent to Koskinen they are as good as the Al Buehler days. Cross Country has a lot of talent. Women's Basketball is possible to make money. South Carolina had over 11000 at their thrashing of Duke game. That recruit from Santa Clarita sounds good,but the top talent is still going to UCONN,Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor,Oregon, Texas A&M. Sadly Duke is not getting the best. Haley Gorecki and Leah Odom might be WNBA talent, but the team currently underachieves.

sagegrouse
12-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Since the decline of the McCallie lead Duke Team, I feel Kevin White should manage as a business decision if McCallie gets bought out or just wait until the contract expires. This is about the only sport at Duke that has an underachieving coach. Dan Brooks and K are at the top. Pollard Danowski are also outstanding. Robbie Church ,Pam Bustin, Kristen Kimel, and Marissa Young have success. Duke is competetive in Men's Golf,Women's Tennis, Men's Tennis. Dick Vitale's grandsons that are 6'6 twins are coming to Duke in tennis.Swimming has produced Olympians and since Track and Field had their new stadium built adjacent to Koskinen they are as good as the Al Buehler days. Cross Country has a lot of talent. Women's Basketball is possible to make money. South Carolina had over 11000 at their thrashing of Duke game. That recruit from Santa Clarita sounds good,but the top talent is still going to UCONN,Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor,Oregon, Texas A&M. Sadly Duke is not getting the best. Haley Gorecki and Leah Odom might be WNBA talent, but the team currently underachieves.

Holy semolina!! Vitale has 6-6 twin grandsons who are star tennis players??? And they're coming to Duke? Why hasn't this been a board topic?

heyman25
12-22-2019, 06:28 AM
This is where I read about the Krug brothers.
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/12/duke-mens-tennis-dick-vitale-diaper-dandies

sagegrouse
12-22-2019, 08:44 AM
This is where I read about the Krug brothers.
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/12/duke-mens-tennis-dick-vitale-diaper-dandies

Connor and Jake Krug in the recruiting class of 2021

AustinDevil
12-22-2019, 09:09 AM

We also don’t know the terms of last year’s “extension.” Sometimes extensions are cosmetic for precisely the recruiting reasons that have been discussed, and they don’t really mean guaranteed money for the coach. It might be easier for Duke to dump her than we know.

Or it could have been a huge, Arrested Development-level mistake.

Kedsy
12-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Mods: Is it possible to break this into two threads, one about this season's WBB team and another about what to do about the coach? I don't know about anybody else, but I'm very interested in the former and not at all interested in the latter.

AustinDevil
12-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Mods: Is it possible to break this into two threads, one about this season's WBB team and another about what to do about the coach? I don't know about anybody else, but I'm very interested in the former and not at all interested in the latter.

It’s a thread about the season. Perhaps, rather than express disinterest in what to do about the coach who is coaching this season and try to remove that topic from this thread, you could share an opinion? I’d love to read a defense. A “let’s just let the season play out before we talk about ‘what to do’ about her” view would be less interesting, at least to me, but still relevant.

You can always start individual game threads as well, of course.

GGLC
12-22-2019, 01:03 PM
It’s a thread about the season. Perhaps, rather than express disinterest in what to do about the coach who is coaching this season and try to remove that topic from this thread, you could share an opinion? I’d love to read a defense. A “let’s just let the season play out before we talk about ‘what to do’ about her” view would be less interesting, at least to me, but still relevant.

You can always start individual game threads as well, of course.

Seconded.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2019, 01:21 PM

I don’t think that is an unreasonable request, although a “should we fire Coach P” thread may not be the look we want. For better and worse, the two topics are intertwined somewhat.

We have a ten-day dead period which is following an absolute butt-whooping, so I think it is natural for the discussion to tend towards coaching. No game to watch or to discuss upcoming, and a sour taste in the mouth until then. My hope is that once games resume the discussion of them resumes.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2019, 02:24 PM
I don’t think that is an unreasonable request, although a “should we fire Coach P” thread may not be the look we want. For better and worse, the two topics are intertwined somewhat.

We have a ten-day dead period which is following an absolute butt-whooping, so I think it is natural for the discussion to tend towards coaching. No game to watch or to discuss upcoming, and a sour taste in the mouth until then. My hope is that once games resume the discussion of them resumes.

Our next game is vs a good FGCU team, in Florida. Keep your fingers crossed.

Kedsy
12-22-2019, 03:57 PM
We have a ten-day dead period which is following an absolute butt-whooping, so I think it is natural for the discussion to tend towards coaching.

I hear you, but we've had this discussion after pretty much every loss for the past 12 and a half years. This year more people want to be involved, that's all.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2019, 04:31 PM
I hear you, but we've had this discussion after pretty much every loss for the past 12 and a half years. This year more people want to be involved, that's all.

Again, fair comment.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2019, 05:15 PM
#1 Stanford lost to unranked Texas today.

dudog84
12-22-2019, 05:27 PM

I disagree, that's way overstated. There were a few people that had an obviously personal animus towards Coach P, but they were the minority. Their posts were outlandish and the coach had many more defenders. I remember, I got into it with one of them because they were posting derogatory quotes from other coaches about P that were never said.

So let's look at that beatdown. SC had a great recruiting class and starts 3 freshmen. Their ESPN high school ranks were 3, 4, and 11. They also start 2 seniors, whose ranks were 28 and 72. They're not Uconn.

We have an available starting lineup of a 5th-year player who was ranked 9. A senior who was ranked 9. A junior who was ranked 14. An international sophomore who would have been clearly ranked top-20 if she was an American (her 3-point FG% was 3rd among freshmen and 6th among all players nationwide). And a 5th-year player not highly ranked in high school (52) but who got pre-season All-America votes.

Ok, recruiting is not an exact science. But picking blindly from those two resumes I'm convinced most would take the team with much more experience when the recruiting rankings are basically a wash.

Most importantly, how does that second team lose by 43?!?!? I would love an explanation.

I never paid much attention to the disgruntled players. I'll take Lexie Brown's word over the rest of theirs combined. I never cared much about the transfers, ALL teams have transfers and not a single one of ours made a splash elsewhere. Not even Azura Stevens, who would have been a strong Player of the Year candidate at Duke and was a 6th-man at UConn (started only a few games). And she never got her National Championship.

But something is wrong.

chrishoke
12-22-2019, 06:35 PM

I am vitally interested in both. I'M okay with 2 threads if that's what folks want

jimsumner
12-22-2019, 07:15 PM
I never paid much attention to the disgruntled players. I'll take Lexie Brown's word over the rest of theirs combined. I never cared much about the transfers, ALL teams have transfers and [I]not a single one of ours made a splash elsewhere.Not even Azura Stevens, who would have been a strong Player of the Year candidate at Duke and was a 6th-man at UConn (started only a few games). And she never got her National Championship.

But something is wrong.

I suppose it depends on how we define "made a splash elsewhere." But transfers like Chelsea Hopkins (San Diego State), Alexis Rogers (Bowling Green), Crystal Primm (Auburn/FAU) and Sierra Moore (Penn State) had pretty solid college careers after leaving Duke. Alexis Jones was first-team all Big-12 twice at Baylor, which seems like making a splash to me.

All programs have transfers. But more than often than not they come from players disgruntled about lack of PT. Duke has lost a lot of players who were in the rotation, even stars.

triaddukefan
12-22-2019, 07:55 PM
I suppose it depends on how we define "made a splash elsewhere." But transfers like Chelsea Hopkins (San Diego State), Alexis Rogers (Bowling Green), Crystal Primm (Auburn/FAU) and Sierra Moore (Penn State) had pretty solid college careers after leaving Duke. Alexis Jones was first-team all Big-12 twice at Baylor, which seems like making a splash to me.

All programs have transfers. But more than often than not they come from players disgruntled about lack of PT. Duke has lost a lot of players who were in the rotation, even stars.

Hopkins made the 1st team All MWC team both her years and earned the Mountain West Player of the year as a Senior, honorable mention All-American, not too shabby. Actually played a handful of games in the WNBA. I do remember she had injury problems while at Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Not even Azura Stevens, who would have been a strong Player of the Year candidate at Duke and was a 6th-man at UConn (started only a few games). And she never got her National Championship.

A point about Stevens; she left UCONN "early" after only one year, and was drafted 6th in the WNBA. She went on to make the All Rookie team in 2018.

ehdg
12-22-2019, 11:34 PM
I wanted Coach P replaced back when we did the internal review of her n the program a year or 2 ago. When they decided to keep her I stopped my complaining n just stopped following our women’s program. It’s useless for me to invest my time n energy into them if our AD n those above are happy with Coach P n how the program is performing. If they really did care about the program they wouldn’t have let it continue the way it has for the last 5 or more years!

CamrnCrz1974
12-23-2019, 08:41 AM
The FGCU game could be one that makes or breaks the season.

FGCU is likely to win its conference (Atlantic Sun) and has wins over Notre Dame, South Florida, and South Dakota State. Currently ranked 29th in RPI by RealTimeRPI.com and 32nd in RPI by the NCAA's site, FGCU would represent a quality win for Duke, especially on the road.

budwom
12-23-2019, 08:52 AM
I wanted Coach P replaced back when we did the internal review of her n the program a year or 2 ago. When they decided to keep her I stopped my complaining n just stopped following our women’s program. It’s useless for me to invest my time n energy into them if our AD n those above are happy with Coach P n how the program is performing. If they really did care about the program they wouldn’t have let it continue the way it has for the last 5 or more years!

yeah, that's been my approach. Obviously Kevin White couldn't be bothered to do the right thing. Haven't watched a minute of WBB in several years now.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Our athletic department has done well across the board, generally, under White. So I have few complaints.

I too was concerned during the time of the review. I have enough trust in him to think that the decision he made was the best available although none of the options were terribly appealing. He talked to the parties involved, not me. He knows the budgetary constraints put on him, I do not.

White gave the coach an opportunity to work it out and improve, rather than implement a costly buy-out. It didn't improve, and we are whittling down the amount of buy-out with every game. Sad to say it, but I think that's where we are. Would love to be proved wrong in the next three months.