PDA

View Full Version : Tony Barone RIP

Reilly
06-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Front page piece announcing his death: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/6/26/18759366/former-blue-devil-tony-barone-dies-duke-basketball-bubas-era

The Chanticleer online is an interesting collection. In looking at Barone's 1968 senior year yearbook, saw an unidentified photo of a large Dixie flag in the hoops pages; saw a Joe Falls-esque (old Sporting News fans out there?) recap of the hoops season; noticed the players' names on the back of jerseys (and wondered when that first occurred); and indeed his home address in the back shows he grew up very close to Wrigley hence the stories of being a clubhouse boy (and when did Duke quit printing students' addresses?): https://archive.org/details/chanticleerseria1968duke/page/182

And, who was the the most recent MBB player to major in English?

chrishoke
06-26-2019, 09:07 PM
RIP Tony. I remember him well. Great pics from the yearbook. That 12-10 loss to NCS in the ACC Tournament still haunts me.

roywhite
06-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Who else is gone from the late 1960s and the 1970s Duke basketball teams?

Dick DeVenzio and Rick Katherman, if I recall, have passed away. And Vic Bubas himself left us last year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Sad news. Tony was quite a character. Used to see him during summer school. If you saw him, you'd also see Joe Kennedy and Tim Kolojay (Kolodziej was how he spelled it at Duke; family changed spelling later).

budwom
06-27-2019, 07:16 AM
my most vivid memory of those days was Steve Vandenberg and his two girlfriends who followed him everywhere...

roywhite
06-27-2019, 07:30 AM
my most vivid memory of those days was Steve Vandenberg and his two girlfriends who followed him everywhere...

If I recall, Vandy had some musical talent, played a mean piano. Also closed out his Duke home career with a great performance vs the Heels.

jimsumner
06-27-2019, 09:44 AM
If I recall, Vandy had some musical talent, played a mean piano. Also closed out his Duke home career with a great performance vs the Heels.

He had a Jerry Lee Lewis-tribute trio that frequently played on campus.

wsb3
06-27-2019, 11:50 AM
RIP Tony. I remember him well. Great pics from the yearbook. That 12-10 loss to NCS in the ACC Tournament still haunts me.

Eddie Biedenbach came in our office, probably 30 years ago. I said with a smile that I still had not gotten over that game. He said he was use to catching flack, particularly from those that bet on the game.

Thanks a lot ChrisHoke..I thought I was over it. :D

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-27-2019, 11:51 AM
Eddie Biedenbach came in our office, probably 30 years ago. I said with a smile that I still had not gotten over that game. He said he was use to catching flack, particularly from those that bet on the game.

Thanks a lot ChrisHoke..I thought I was over it. :D

Eddie was a very popular fellow here in Asheville for a long time.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2019, 01:00 AM
Who else is gone from the late 1960s and the 1970s Duke basketball teams?

Dick DeVenzio and Rick Katherman, if I recall, have passed away. And Vic Bubas himself left us last year.
Bill Foster died in 2016 at age 86.

sagegrouse
06-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Bill Foster died in 2016 at age 86.

The late perfessor, Denny Ferguson (Duke '65), taught at Cornell and passed away way too early.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2019, 12:21 PM
John Harrell passed away in 2008.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Front page piece announcing his death: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/6/26/18759366/former-blue-devil-tony-barone-dies-duke-basketball-bubas-era

The Chanticleer online is an interesting collection. In looking at Barone's 1968 senior year yearbook, saw an unidentified photo of a large Dixie flag in the hoops pages; saw a Joe Falls-esque (old Sporting News fans out there?) recap of the hoops season; noticed the players' names on the back of jerseys (and wondered when that first occurred); and indeed his home address in the back shows he grew up very close to Wrigley hence the stories of being a clubhouse boy (and when did Duke quit printing students' addresses?): https://archive.org/details/chanticleerseria1968duke/page/182

And, who was the the most recent MBB player to major in English?

Tony was an Academic All America. His teammate, Joe Kennedy, also majored in English. The last time I saw Joe (a few years back), he was a professor teaching English.