PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday (Beatles movie) review

JasonEvans
06-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Well... I mean... it isn't awful.

Here is my podcast review about Danny Boyle's new film, Yesterday, which is cute and pleasant and paper thin. It just doesn't have anything meaningful to say about romance or responsibity or art or music. It isn't bad, but it isn't all that good either. If you temper your expectations, you will probably enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-151762463/jason-and-josh-fight-about-yesterday

https://www.irishcentral.com/uploads/article/131291/cropped_ed_sheeran_himesh_patel_insta.png?t=155087 2913

-Jason "it is getting ridiculous how much Josh and I agree about the movies we review... sheesh!!" Evans

Bob Green
06-26-2019, 04:59 PM
I'm listening to the podcast as I type. Thanks for posting the link as Yesterday is a film I intend to head to the theater and watch.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Shoot. I thought it looked promising.

camion
06-26-2019, 06:38 PM
I had hopes.

I will probably still go. I have a free movie pass.

Acymetric
06-26-2019, 08:46 PM
I think it still might be good...there is room out there for fun, cute movies without much depth. Not everything has to be profound or about something bigger than itself (in fact, I feel like film and TV taking itself too seriously in the last decade or so has been a somewhat understandable development).

accfanfrom1970
06-26-2019, 09:22 PM
I’ll will be going as well. Just because it’s the Beatles.

JasonEvans
06-26-2019, 10:31 PM
As I said in the pod, it isn’t a bad movie and you will likely enjoy it while watching it. I think that diminished expectations may make it even better for many of you than it was for me. I just don’t think it will stick with you and feel as meaningful as it could have with a more thoughtful script and execution.

PackMan97
06-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Hey dude...not cool.

Devilwin
06-27-2019, 05:14 PM
Me too. Gonna make up my own mind. Been dying to see it for months. Can't be any worse than some of the trash ranked above it..

Edouble
06-27-2019, 06:29 PM

This is why it was made. To take your money because you like the Beatles.

I love the Beatles too, but don't be a sucker. This movie has nothing to do with the Beatles. Just like if they reboot Goonies, or whatever... it has nothing to do with the original you love. The movie bigwigs are banking on the power of nostalgia and laughing all the way to the bank.

camion
06-27-2019, 07:20 PM

I love the Beatles too, but don't be a sucker. This movie has nothing to do with the Beatles. Just like if they reboot Goonies, or whatever... it has nothing to do with the original you love. The movie bigwigs are banking on the power of nostalgia and laughing all the way to the bank.

It must have something to with the Beatles, perhaps their music is mentioned in passing?

In any event I can't wait until "Hey Dude" is released. :)

Devilwin
06-28-2019, 09:38 PM
I liked it..Beatle fans like me will like it. Good story line. Maybe a bit too much soppy romance for my tastes, but hey, the music was good and I loved the story. Got to see it at least once..:cool:

cspan37421
06-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Holy cups and cakes! Based on the trailer, the concept struck me as something a 7th grader would think up. High concept? Seems like an excuse to indulge the adolescent fantasy of being a jukebox hero, but worse, because it's via musical plagiarism.

Oh, and it's also an excuse to play Beatles songs (great minds think alike). I'm sure it'll make some dough as retirement-age Beatles fans will bring their grandchildren to the movies and try to convince them that the music of their day was better.

JMO.

Indoor66
06-29-2019, 02:51 PM
If I didn't know better, I would think that the day the music died happened in 1964 rather than 1959.

Devilwin
06-29-2019, 08:59 PM
Saw several teenagers there with their Beatles gear on. And I believe the 60's was the Golden Age of Rock..:cool:

Devilwin
06-29-2019, 09:01 PM

I disagree. It has a lot to do with the Beatles. Have you seen it yet?

accfanfrom1970
06-30-2019, 07:24 AM
I enjoyed it. Even my wife who was/is no Beatles fan even commented “I forgot how many good songs they wrote.” Romance drags a bit, but an enjoyable day in the theatre, and out of the 95+ temps.

camion
06-30-2019, 11:58 PM
Saw Yesterday today and enjoyed it. It wasn’t a masterpiece, but it was a pleasant day at the cinema.

Can we do spoilers yet?

BD80
07-01-2019, 12:44 AM
Saw Yesterday today and enjoyed it. It wasn’t a masterpiece, but it was a pleasant day at the cinema.

Can we do spoilers yet?

If I see Yesterday tomorrow, is that Today?

devildeac
07-01-2019, 06:57 AM

I don't know. You be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4

Devilwin
07-01-2019, 08:02 PM
24.8 million first weekend. Slightly over budget costs.. All gravy now..Not too bad.

devildeac
07-01-2019, 10:30 PM

Maybe Billy Joel answers your question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCiW161e_YI

Bostondevil
07-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Saw it. Liked it well enough. It's a RomCom.

Rich
07-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Can we do spoilers yet?

I saw Yesterday today :rolleyes: and thought it was just meh. I started getting antsy 3/4 of the way through. Very predictable and safe formula, IMO.

Really, other than the "cameo" what's there to spoil?

JasonEvans
07-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Really, other than the "cameo" what's there to spoil?

Shhhh, some people may not realize that the two main characters, who love each other from the start but are too afraid to say it, find a way to end up together at the end. I mean, that came as a total shocker to me. Did not see that coming at all.

camion
07-04-2019, 11:54 PM
Shhhh, some people may not realize that the two main characters, who love each other from the start but are too afraid to say it, find a way to end up together at the end. I mean, that came as a total shocker to me. Did not see that coming at all.

It is basically a romcom. I pretty much knew how that would go.

I am somewhat interested in the post glitch world where we learn along the way that it isn’t just the Beatles that ceased to exist. By my reckoning the world also lost Coca Cola, cigarettes and Harry Potter. Someone else mentioned Oasis. Did I miss anything else gone missing?

And what of the other two people that remembered? I know. That wasn’t explored.

I also thought John Lennon looked like himself.

Rich
07-05-2019, 12:08 AM
It is basically a romcom. I pretty much knew how that would go.

I am somewhat interested in the post glitch world where we learn along the way that it isn’t just the Beatles that ceased to exist. By my reckoning the world also lost Coca Cola, cigarettes and Harry Potter. Someone else mentioned Oasis. Did I miss anything else gone missing?

And what of the other two people that remembered? I know. That wasn’t explored.

I also thought John Lennon looked like himself.

So did the guy who played Ed Sheeran! :rolleyes:

camion
07-05-2019, 07:52 AM
So did the guy who played Ed Sheeran! :rolleyes:

That guy could make some money at birthday parties and mall openings.

Jim3k
07-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Enjoyable. Kate McKinnon is a howl. [Stop! In the name of money!]

Annoyed that they omitted Harrison's "Something." Personal favorite of mine.

I'd be interested to know how much of the singing was dubbed. Is Patel able to do McCartney, Starr, Harrison or Lennon? Can he even sing? [OK, Wiki says he sings throughout the film; not sure myself.] Were any of the Beatles dubbed in? Where? Or was it someone else? Credits don't say. Seems to be a lot of original Beatle voices in the background at the very least.

Fun to hear from the Beatles' songbook. Lotta memories.

camion
07-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Enjoyable. Kate McKinnon is a howl. [Stop! In the name of money!]

Annoyed that they omitted Harrison's "Something." Personal favorite of mine.

I'd be interested to know how much of the singing was dubbed. Is Patel able to do McCartney, Starr, Harrison or Lennon? Can he even sing? [OK, Wiki says he sings throughout the film; not sure myself.] Were any of the Beatles dubbed in? Where? Or was it someone else? Credits don't say. Seems to be a lot of original Beatle voices in the background at the very least.

Fun to hear from the Beatles' songbook. Lotta memories.

I was disappointed they cut that song. It was in the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVJ7z2aLzc). Interestingly Ana de Armas, to whom he was singing Something in the trailer, was listed in the film credits though I don't think she made it into the actual movie.

Blue in the Face
07-05-2019, 11:27 PM
That guy could make some money at birthday parties and mall openings.
He's much too busy brawling in Scottish pubs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/rs-217262-MSDTRAI_EC056_H.jpg

Bostondevil
07-05-2019, 11:48 PM
I just went to imdb to find out the actor who played that surprise cameo at the end and OMG!! Did not recognize him.

JasonEvans
07-06-2019, 11:31 AM
I was disappointed they cut that song. It was in the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOVJ7z2aLzc). Interestingly Ana de Armas, to whom he was singing Something in the trailer, was listed in the film credits though I don't think she made it into the actual movie.

She was in the James Corden sequence (they likely paid her for one day of shooting). That whole thing was supposed to be a dream and I suspect they did not want the dream sequence to go on that long.

As for the surprise cameo at the end, he was under so much makeup, it is no wonder you could not see him.

alteran
07-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I prefer the radical unpredictability of action/sci-if/heist/revenge movies, where the protagonists face down incredible odds with extremely high stakes.

Unlike rom-coms, whether they succeed in the end is completely impossible to guess.

alteran
07-11-2019, 04:37 PM
As I said in the pod, it isn’t a bad movie and you will likely enjoy it while watching it. I think that diminished expectations may make it even better for many of you than it was for me. I just don’t think it will stick with you and feel as meaningful as it could have with a more thoughtful script and execution.

I actually had a blast despite the fact that most of your comments are spot on.

I would add that genre fiction isn’t generally saddled with the expectation of exploring great human themes. The critics are being fairly harsh on the movie, but most of their complaints seem to be about the movie they wanted and not the movie that was in front of them.

I don’t want to go spoilerrific, but I will mention that a handful of cliches were aptly dodged. I was also surprised at how verklempt I got during the “cameo.”

Devilwin
07-11-2019, 07:19 PM
As of today, worldwide totals for this flic is 59.1 million. Not too bad for a 25 mil budget..:cool:

JasonEvans
07-11-2019, 07:49 PM
As of today, worldwide totals for this flic is 59.1 million. Not too bad for a 25 mil budget..:cool:

Hate to burst your bubble, but the studio execs are not exactly celebrating this film as a success.

Typically, you can take a film's production budget and double it to come up with the full marketing and distribution costs (when talking about a major studio film, like this one). But, for a film with a really high or low budget that does not work. Disney/Marvel did not spend $350 mil on marketing and distribution for Avengers. Similarly, I suspect the marketing/distribution costs for Yesterday likely exceeded $25 mil, at least by a little bit.

It is also worth noting that the studio does not get every penny of every ticket sold. Though Yesterday has grossed $61 mil worldwide thus far, I would bet that the studio has seen no more than maybe $45-50 million of that. Additionally, in some international markets it can be difficult to repatriate revenues.

On the other side of the coin, there will be some ancillary revenues that the studio will get after the theatrical release from streaming, DVD, and television rights. There will be some merchandise revenues as well, but probably not anything all that significant.

Bottom line -- if this movie was going to get to $100+ mil in worldwide revenue, it would probably be a nice success, but in the 60-70 million kind of range, it is a break even film, at best.

-Jason "also, it is possible that Danny Boyle or someone else connected to the film (perhaps the folks who own the Beatles songs?) have a piece of the back end as well, which could really impact the bottom line here" Evans

weezie
07-11-2019, 08:27 PM
He's much too busy brawling in Scottish pubs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/rs-217262-MSDTRAI_EC056_H.jpg

Is that so wrong? :cool:

luburch
07-12-2019, 07:50 AM
I was really excited for this film when I saw the initial trailer. Interesting concept, lots of great music to work with. They kinda blew it. It wasn't a bad movie by any means. Just thoroughly mediocre. Focused on the romance aspect and not the part that actually made the movie interesting.

Devilwin
07-15-2019, 07:41 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but the studio execs are not exactly celebrating this film as a success.

Typically, you can take a film's production budget and double it to come up with the full marketing and distribution costs (when talking about a major studio film, like this one). But, for a film with a really high or low budget that does not work. Disney/Marvel did not spend $350 mil on marketing and distribution for Avengers. Similarly, I suspect the marketing/distribution costs for Yesterday likely exceeded $25 mil, at least by a little bit.

It is also worth noting that the studio does not get every penny of every ticket sold. Though Yesterday has grossed $61 mil worldwide thus far, I would bet that the studio has seen no more than maybe $45-50 million of that. Additionally, in some international markets it can be difficult to repatriate revenues.

On the other side of the coin, there will be some ancillary revenues that the studio will get after the theatrical release from streaming, DVD, and television rights. There will be some merchandise revenues as well, but probably not anything all that significant.

Bottom line -- if this movie was going to get to $100+ mil in worldwide revenue, it would probably be a nice success, but in the 60-70 million kind of range, it is a break even film, at best.

-Jason "also, it is possible that Danny Boyle or someone else connected to the film (perhaps the folks who own the Beatles songs?) have a piece of the back end as well, which could really impact the bottom line here" Evans
As of today, it stands at 80.5 million worldwide.

gus
07-15-2019, 12:18 PM
The movie will have one small impact at least. One of the first comments I saw to an article about the blackout in Manhattan this weekend was : "Quick- everyone still remembers the Beatles right?"

Devilwin
07-21-2019, 07:21 AM
As of this morning, Yesterday has grossed 89.5 million worldwide, 53.5 million US. Not bad for a flic that had very little publicity prior to its release. Could hit 100 million before its run ends. At this point it's a winner.

Devilwin
07-22-2019, 06:57 AM
Updated to 98.2 million. So, does that make it a winner now? Almost certainly will go over 100 m. That is worldwide of course.

JasonEvans
07-22-2019, 08:18 AM
Updated to 98.2 million. So, does that make it a winner now? Almost certainly will go over 100 m. That is worldwide of course.

Yup, like most Danny Boyle films, it will make money. Maybe not a mint, but it will make money.

accfanfrom1970
07-22-2019, 10:03 AM
The movie will have one small impact at least. One of the first comments I saw to an article about the blackout in Manhattan this weekend was : "Quick- everyone still remembers the Beatles right?"

I had not heard that, that is funny. The movie made me smile and that did too.

Devilwin
07-26-2019, 07:02 AM
Well, as of today it stands at 100.3 million worldwide. Not too shabby for a movie that wasn't promoted like many others were. And with the weekend upon us, gonna predict 104 million by Monday.:D
Like the Lion King. Cannot turn on the TV without seeing that one pimped all over the place, and that being said, I would like to see it myself. You know I am a big fan of wildlife, and with the computer generated effects here making the animals look real I admit it's a must see. But I would change it a bit. Let's have the Lion King win his crown, then have a circus going through the area lose a big Bengal tiger in Simba's territory. No more Lion King...lol

Devilwin
08-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Last update. 119 million worldwide. A success no matter how it's sliced..

roywhite
08-05-2019, 03:25 PM
I'm a sucker for sentimental British romantic comedies, esp. those written by Richard Curtis.

That includes Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones Diary, Love Actually, and now Yesterday.

JasonEvans
08-05-2019, 03:43 PM
I'm a sucker for sentimental British romantic comedies, esp. those written by Richard Curtis.

That includes Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones Diary, Love Actually, and now Yesterday.

Ummm, you left out his second best film, About Time.

-Jason "Four Weddings is his best movie" Evans

killerleft
08-05-2019, 03:51 PM
I went to see it Yesterday with a friend. She thought it was cute (she's too young to know many of the Beatles songs). I really enjoyed it. The surprise visitor near the end was very nice. Kate McKinnon, I thought, did a great job as the promoter.

duke74
08-06-2019, 01:35 PM

You hit three of my favorite movies. (My son thinks I’m a 16-year-old girl.) Love Actually number one, Notting Hill number two, and Four Weddings number three. I sit and watch each of these and recite the lines along with the characters. I think I have a problem.

BD80
08-06-2019, 02:31 PM
You hit three of my favorite movies. (My son thinks I’m a 16-year-old girl.) Love Actually number one, Notting Hill number two, and Four Weddings number three. I sit and watch each of these and recite the lines along with the characters. I think I have a problem.

Love Actually is my guilty pleasure. The insecurities and imperfections of each character are wonderfully written and acted. The relationship between Liam Neeson and his character's step son is my favorite, notifying the son that if Claudia Schiffer comes over, the kid will have to leave because they'll be "doing it" in every room in the house, only to have Claudia to play his love interest for the happy ending. The Red Nose reunion of the majority of the characters was well done.

Acymetric
08-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Love Actually is my guilty pleasure. The insecurities and imperfections of each character are wonderfully written and acted. The relationship between Liam Neeson and his character's step son is my favorite, notifying the son that if Claudia Schiffer comes over, the kid will have to leave because they'll be "doing it" in every room in the house, only to have Claudia to play his love interest for the happy ending. The Red Nose reunion of the majority of the characters was well done.

It doesn't even have to be a guilty pleasure...that movie is just good.

roywhite
08-06-2019, 08:06 PM

It doesn't even have to be a guilty pleasure...that movie is just good.

My high opinion of Duke basketball fans has been reaffirmed!

Saw Love Actually in the theater when it came out in 2003. It's become a Christmas tradition for roywhite and family; watch it a few times around Christmas and occasionally peek at it during the year. Lots of classic scenes -- I think my favorite is when 11-year old Olivia Olson as Joanna busts into All I Want for Christmas is You and the adults in the audience sit in amazement with mouths agape.