PDA

View Full Version : Name some favorite coaches

johnb
06-10-2019, 07:40 AM
I just read this article on Hubie Brown, and it made me wonder if people on the board had some favorite coaches, and why.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/sports/hubie-brown.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

budwom
06-10-2019, 07:46 AM
I just read this article on Hubie Brown, and it made me wonder if people on the board had some favorite coaches, and why.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/sports/hubie-brown.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

I got to know Hubie very well writing for the Chronicle way back when .....amazing career trajectory, he was still a high school coach in his thirties, did not seem headed anywhere noteworthy, then a year at Bill and Mary, some time at Duke, and soon he's coaching Kareem and Oscar and on his way to a Hall of Fame career. And how 'bout Ted Turner wanting him as the Braves manager?

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2019, 07:50 AM
I got to know Hubie very well writing for the Chronicle way back when ....amazing career trajectory, he was still a high school coach in his thirties, did not seem headed anywhere noteworthy, then a year at Bill and Mary, some time at Duke, and soon he's coaching Kareem and Oscar and on his way to a Hall of Fame career. And how 'bout Ted Turner wanting him as the Braves manager?

And now considered one of the all time great TV analysts/color men......in his 80s I think. A spectacular and singular career arc.

Indoor66
06-10-2019, 08:01 AM
I got to know Hubie very well writing for the Chronicle way back when ...amazing career trajectory, he was still a high school coach in his thirties, did not seem headed anywhere noteworthy, then a year at Bill and Mary, some time at Duke, and soon he's coaching Kareem and Oscar and on his way to a Hall of Fame career. And how 'bout Ted Turner wanting him as the Braves manager?

And I love is Irish accent.

budwom
06-10-2019, 08:10 AM
gotta love Hubie's quote, in response to the question of how long he'll work, that he'll keep working until Verne Lundquist dies.

Hubie and his wife used to smuggle me into THE (emphasis) ACC Tournament party each year, which was definitely the social event of the Carolinas and vicinity...place thick with governors, senators, university presidents, high rollers...plus they had real booze you didn't have to carry around in your own sack like some kind of sad hobo.

sagegrouse
06-10-2019, 08:35 AM
And now considered one of the all time great TV analysts/color men...in his 80s I think. A spectacular and singular career arc.

Hubie Brown DOB -- September 25, 1933

Duke79UNLV77
06-10-2019, 08:51 AM
I really enjoyed Matt Doherty's tenure at unCheat.

I like Pop and Kerr in the NBA (enough people will say Brad Stevens) and Mark Few in college.

chrishoke
06-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Bobby Cremins. His teams were fun to watch but mainly I loved Bobby's on-court and off-court demeanor. I can't remember seeing him ever get angry.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2019, 09:14 AM
I really like Bob McKillop at Davidson......probably deserved a shot at the big time...well, definitely did. Steph gives him so much credit for his success. That's not a bad legacy.

Greg Marshall at Wichita is a great coach, and was at Winthrop.

And I'm a big Brad Stevens fan, and would not be heartbroken if, say, the egos of the NBA players start to grate on him about the time it does appear K is going to shut it down. Just sayin.....

wsb3
06-10-2019, 09:26 AM
I really like Bob McKillop at Davidson...probably deserved a shot at the big time...well, definitely did. Steph gives him so much credit for his success. That's not a bad legacy....

I really agree with this one. I think he has had shots to leave but he is happy at Davidson. I like Mark Few and the same can be said. He could have left but he was happy where he was. Someone mentioned Cremins..I really liked him as well.

camion
06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
I really agree with this one. I think he has had shots to leave but he is happy at Davidson. I like Mark Few and the same can be said. He could have left but he was happy where he was. Someone mentioned Cremins..I really liked him as well.

I'll second or third McKillop. Being both a Davidson and Duke grad I'm doubly thrilled that McK and K each found a home at the respective institutions. Both have had chances to move "up", but both seem happy where they are. :)

Davidson and Duke are lucky to have them.

hudlow
06-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Lefty...

His Duke pedigree, his sense of humor, his ability to build strong programs and he always looked like he was having fun.

My favorite coach, next to K, of course.

hud

jimsumner
06-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Bobby Cremins was the most media-friendly men's hoops coach in ACC history. The least pretentious. The most approachable.

Mike Brey is close.

budwom
06-10-2019, 12:35 PM
I really enjoyed Matt Doherty's tenure at unCheat.

I like Pop and Kerr in the NBA (enough people will say Brad Stevens) and Mark Few in college.

Ha, and let's not forget Gut, who somehow squandered a national title in the Final Four vs Majerus and Utah...that team had Carter and Jamison, Utah had Andre Miller and little else...plus he recruited the dream backcourt of Boone and Morrison, to accompany Fing, did he not (memory a tad hazy on that one, too lazy to look it up...but it sounds good)?

chris13
06-10-2019, 12:37 PM
NFL: now: Bill Belichick, past: Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson
NBA: Kerr, Pop. past: Lenny Wilkens
College: now: Gregg Marshall, Mike Brey past: John Thompson, Jerry Tarkanian, Al McGuire
Women's hoops: Pat Head Summitt, Gail Goestenkors
College football: Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne (past)
MLB: Whitey Herzog (past)...don't follow enough anymore to pick a current guy.

Reddevil
06-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Okay, I am going to be Captain Obvious here and say Jim Valvano. He was a quote machine and his time at ESPN with Dickie V in the studio was actually a lot of fun. He was one of a kind.

Reddevil
06-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Also noteworthy - Al McGuire and Jerry Tarkanian (what did Tark and Guy Lewis have against towels?). They were always fun to listen to and of course Al was terrific as a color commentator.

budwom
06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Okay, I am going to be Captain Obvious here and say Jim Valvano. He was a quote machine and his time at ESPN with Dickie V in the studio was actually a lot of fun. He was one of a kind.

He was, and he played the NC press like a fiddle with his Italian schtick...it was a bit weird, but he was affable and everyone sucked it up smartly. Like an exotic species migrating down below the Mason-Winn Dixie Line.

Billy Dat
06-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Al McGuire is a great one, and the Frank Deford SI profile on him is essential reading
https://www.si.com/vault/1976/11/29/628191/welcome-to-his-world

"If the waitress has dirty ankles, the chili will be good."

Thinking of Al just makes me think of the guys who were real characters, either intentionally or unintentionally

Rick Majerus
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2008/01/16/majerus0121

Buzz Williams
https://theathletic.com/990151/2019/05/23/be-aggressive-three-days-with-new-texas-am-coach-buzz-williams/ ($$$$$)

Frank Layden
https://www.si.com/vault/1985/12/16/638260/seriously-folks-its-a-wonderful-life

CrazyNotCrazie
06-10-2019, 02:17 PM

I agree with McKillop and Few. I will add Jay Wright to the list - he seems like a good guy who runs a very successful program.

elvis14
06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Dabo. He's a great coach and seems like an even better person. Every time I talk to a Clemson fan about him they just light up and they all know a story of how he did someone right. Reminds me of Coach K in that way.

budwom
06-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Dabo. He's a great coach and seems like an even better person. Every time I talk to a Clemson fan about him they just light up and they all know a story of how he did someone right. Reminds me of Coach K in that way.

Obviously a terrific coach, I just wish (and I prepare to be tormented on this) he'd lay off the religious stuff a bit more...in South Carolina that opinion would get me shot, I'm sure.

Edouble
06-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Ha, and let's not forget Gut, who somehow squandered a national title in the Final Four vs Majerus and Utah...that team had Carter and Jamison, Utah had Andre Miller and little else...plus he recruited the dream backcourt of Boone and Morrison, to accompany Fing, did he not (memory a tad hazy on that one, too lazy to look it up...but it sounds good)?

Well, Michael Doleac went on to become a lottery pick and had a 10 year NBA career.

Hanno Möttölä and Britt Johnsen both had 10 year NBA and European careers as well. That Utah team was not a fluke.

budwom
06-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Well, Michael Doleac went on to become a lottery pick and had a 10 year NBA career.

Hanno Möttölä and Britt Johnsen both had 10 year NBA and European careers as well. That Utah team was not a fluke.

point taken, but Doleac was a sub five point/game scorer, Jamison and Carter were all stars..Utah wasn't bad at all, but Gut was soundly outcoached, and for that I shall be forever grateful.
p.s. Shammond Williams was also on that unc team, and he had a Doleacan NBA stats himself...

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Al McGuire is a great one, and the Frank Deford SI profile on him is essential reading
https://www.si.com/vault/1976/11/29/628191/welcome-to-his-world

"If the waitress has dirty ankles, the chili will be good."

Thinking of Al just makes me think of the guys who were real characters, either intentionally or unintentionally

Rick Majerus
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2008/01/16/majerus0121

Buzz Williams
https://theathletic.com/990151/2019/05/23/be-aggressive-three-days-with-new-texas-am-coach-buzz-williams/ ($$$$$)

Frank Layden
https://www.si.com/vault/1985/12/16/638260/seriously-folks-its-a-wonderful-life
For those too young to know about him, Bones McKinney, colorful Wake Forest basketball coach, was something else! He was a student at Durham High School before he eventually found his way to Winston-Salem. He played college ball at NC State and Carolina. Whereas Bobby Knight simply threw chairs, Bones threw them and was given a seat belt to try to prevent getting technical fouls. It's been said that he told his players to stay on the floor (if they fell) for a while to take a break. He had more sayings than Yogi Berra. Was an ordained Baptist minister who became too much of a free spirit to stay at Wake Forest. Every time I see the deacon riding out on a motorcycle, I see Bone McKinney!

Indoor66
06-10-2019, 03:45 PM
The seat belt came about when the League had a rule that the coaches had to remain in their seats when the clock was running or get a technical. Bones had trouble with the rule. 😂

Reddevil
06-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Earl Weaver and Billy Martin gave it to the umps as well as anyone ever did. Those days are pretty well over, but they were fun. Jerry Glanville always left tickets for Elvis at the will call window. Bum "one year ago we knocked on the door. This year we beat on the door - next year we'll kick the s.o.b. in!" Phillips was another icon. He has many terrific quotes.

MartyClark
06-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Doug Moe when he coached the Denver Nuggets. Funny guy. I used to think he was dumbing it down, playing a role. One of my friends lived next door to him for a few years and assures me I'm wrong. Doug was just being himself.

Calvin Natt was the toughest player on the old Nuggets. Moe stood up to yell at him during a game, Calvin ran by and said "sit down, Doug". Doug sat down. I think after that he always yelled at Bill Hanzlik when Natt did something wrong.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2019, 04:58 PM
Obviously a terrific coach, I just wish (and I prepare to be tormented on this) he'd lay off the religious stuff a bit more...in South Carolina that opinion would get me shot, I'm sure.

That's who he is, and it's become the cornerstone of their program. The one thing every coach must do to be successful is to be themselves.....and this is Dabo being Dabo.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Bobby Cremins was the most media-friendly men's hoops coach in ACC history. The least pretentious. The most approachable.

Mike Brey is close.

I'm not a huge Cremins fan....not sure why....but Brey is there for least pretentious. He's really built himself one helluva career at Notre Dame.

Valvano on Danny Ferry.....and what's a charge....or not.....and the 'verticality' rule.......saying something like "What the hells' verticality? I have an Italian uncle Verticality" (or words to that effect)

fuse
06-10-2019, 06:07 PM
My high school soccer, swimming, and lacrosse coaches.
My parents, and grandparents.

At the time, maybe not the lessons I wanted to learn.
Generally speaking, the lessons I needed to learn, and am grateful for today.

Tappan Zee Devil
06-10-2019, 06:54 PM
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Vic Bubas.

He was the Duke coach during the first part of my time at Duke (We won't mention the coach for the second half). Bubas took Duke recruiting national, and was an innovator both in how the game was played and in promoting it (Duke was one of the first teams with player names on the back of the uniform and I am told Mrs Bubas choreographed the cheerleader dance routines, which again were an innovation).

Oh - and he won quite a few games

rsvman
06-10-2019, 07:01 PM
No love for Pete Gillen? Always a good interview.
Didn't he once say that if Taymon Domzalski played at UVa they would build a statue to him, but at Duke he rides the pine (or words to that effect).

MarkD83
06-10-2019, 07:23 PM
No love for Pete Gillen? Always a good interview.
Didn't he once say that if Taymon Domzalski played at UVa they would build a statue to him, but at Duke he rides the pine (or words to that effect).

The Pete Gillen quote I like the best was. “Duke’s on tv more than leave it to beaver reruns”. Of course that makes both Pete and I seem old

weezie
06-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Chuck Daly and Sparky Anderson.

Rest in peace, gentlemen!

MartyClark
06-10-2019, 08:11 PM
My high school soccer, swimming, and lacrosse coaches.
My parents, and grandparents.

At the time, maybe not the lessons I wanted to learn.
Generally speaking, the lessons I needed to learn, and am grateful for today.
He
Yes, in that vein. I had two high school coaches that were tremendous guys. I appreciated them 50+ years ago, I revere them now.

My high school cross country coach probably had the biggest cross country team in Illinois in the 1960's and 1970's. We had 50 or 60 guys running varsity every year. Everyone from the individual state champion in 1968 to me, who was in the bottom 10%. Our coach made everyone feel important, he didn't let anyone loaf, even the guys at the end of the pack like me. He lived in my neighborhood and was also the j.v. wrestling coach. I'd go to his house on Saturdays and wrestle his sons in the basement. He was a kind, learned man who was a great example of being a man for impressionable young kids.

My high school wrestling coach had played football and wrestled at Northwestern He had a brief career as a professional wrestler and his nickname was "Dick the Bruiser" (not the real Dick the Bruiser). He was tough in the best sense of the word. I was a pretty good wrestler - always about the 2nd or 3rd best guy on the team. He knew my Dad who also worked in the school district and he was tough on me. But he never raised his voice, he never cursed, he was never abusive. He demanded our best and we gave it to him. He died about ten years ago, I couldn't return to Illinois for his funeral but wrestler after wrestler got up and talked about the influence he had on their lives.

Our last dual meet my senior year was against a rival. We won but some of our guys stole stuff from the opposing team's locker room. I didn't but I was captain that week. I had to take the stolen stuff back and apologize to the opposing coach and every wrestler on the other team. I was fearful and humiliated. It was a great life lesson for me about leadership, responsibility and being honest. I have never forgotten that.

MartyClark
06-12-2019, 01:45 PM
So odd and tightly wrapped that I was fascinated with him.

He'd crouch by the bench yelling at players who had not even been in the game and sometimes, seemingly just yelling at the world.

Weird dude. I miss him.

Pghdukie
06-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Yogi Berra.

budwom
06-12-2019, 03:12 PM

He'd crouch by the bench yelling at players who had not even been in the game and sometimes, seemingly just yelling at the world.

Weird dude. I miss him.

That's what I loved about Gary (watching him live at a game was a marvel, never seen a suit coat soaked thru in the back so quickly)...a guy on the court would do a dumb thing and he'd rip into some poor guy sitting on the bench. Never failed.

burnspbesq
06-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Kay Yow. Pete Carrill. Mark Few. John Chaney. Remember Bobby Dye, who took Cal State Fullerton to a Final Four? What a character he was.

Mike Pressler. As much as we all love Coach Dano, let’s not forget that he got four straight trips to Memorial Day weekend, and our first championship, with Pressler’s guys.

Kevin Cassese. He is the perfect coach for a place like Lehigh, and should get most of the credit for holding the Duke program together in 2006.

Coach Cut. Coach Brooks. Coach (and crazy lax mom) Nagel.

burnspbesq
06-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Doug Moe when he coached the Denver Nuggets. Funny guy. I used to think he was dumbing it down, playing a role. One of my friends lived next door to him for a few years and assures me I'm wrong. Doug was just being himself.

Calvin Natt was the toughest player on the old Nuggets. Moe stood up to yell at him during a game, Calvin ran by and said "sit down, Doug". Doug sat down. I think after that he always yelled at Bill Hanzlik when Natt did something wrong.

Larry Brown coached the Nuggets in the last few season of the ABA. He had David Thompson, Bobby Jones, Dan Issel (the original stretch four) and Monte Towe, and they ran mostly Dean’s offense. Man, that was fun to watch in the old Auditorium Arena downtown on 14th Street.

BeachBlueDevil
06-14-2019, 11:23 AM
1. Bob Huggins - His intensity has always struck me as fascinating. I personally liked playing for coaches like that when I was younger. It always lit a fire under me.

2. Andy Reid- Sort of the opposite of Huggins. Not a very intense guy but his players always seem to love him. Also, probably one of the greatest offensive minded NFL coaches in the last 40 years. If he ever gets over the hump and wins a title, he'll be recognized as one of the best ever to do it.

3. Bobby Cox - Another intense guy but his players always seemed to like him. He was also a staunch defender of his players during the game.

Thurber Whyte
06-15-2019, 09:32 PM

Weird dude. I miss him.

I would not say he is a favorite coach of mine, but Gary Williams is one that I admire and think is underappreciated. When they were in the conference, I generally liked Maryland basketball teams and players. It is their fans I cannot help but find distasteful.

Gary, out of loyalty, left a good job to take over Maryland at its nadir. He had little to work with and headwinds recruiting because of bad publicity and institutionally imposed restrictions, but managed to slowly and deliberately build a contender. During those years, the top three teams were usually Duke, UNC and a third team in some combination. More often than not, the third team in the mix was Maryland. Between Lefty and Gary, Maryland was third in all time conference wins by the time they left the ACC.

Gary did not compete with Duke and UNC for players. He had his own system and recruited players to fit it. He had an incredible gift for finding underrated players and developing them. For their part, his players loved him and would do anything for him. The Nixonian conspiracy theories and constantly ranting at no one in particular on the sidelines were mostly just funny. He and Coach K respected one another and had a good relationship.

What stands out for me, even more given subsequent revelations, was his integrity. On the recruiting trail, he famously refused to participate in AAU politics and shenanigans to his great disadvantage because he found it distasteful. Every one of his wins together with the two final four appearances and championship he earned honestly.

bundabergdevil
06-15-2019, 09:45 PM

jimsumner
06-16-2019, 12:03 PM
I would not say he is a favorite coach of mine, but Gary Williams is one that I admire and think is underappreciated. When they were in the conference, I generally liked Maryland basketball teams and players. It is their fans I cannot help but find distasteful.

Gary, out of loyalty, left a good job to take over Maryland at its nadir. He had little to work with and headwinds recruiting because of bad publicity and institutionally imposed restrictions, but managed to slowly and deliberately build a contender. During those years, the top three teams were usually Duke, UNC and a third team in some combination. More often than not, the third team in the mix was Maryland. Between Lefty and Gary, Maryland was third in all time conference wins by the time they left the ACC.

Gary did not compete with Duke and UNC for players. He had his own system and recruited players to fit it. He had an incredible gift for finding underrated players and developing them. For their part, his players loved him and would do anything for him. The Nixonian conspiracy theories and constantly ranting at no one in particular on the sidelines were mostly just funny. He and Coach K respected one another and had a good relationship.

What stands out for me, even more given subsequent revelations, was his integrity. On the recruiting trail, he famously refused to participate in AAU politics and shenanigans to his great disadvantage because he found it distasteful. Every one of his wins together with the two final four appearances and championship he earned honestly.

His refusal to participate in AAU shenanigans likely cost him a year with Kevin Durant.

Back in the old days the ACC men's basketball media kickoff was held on Sundays. GW's constant complaining that it cost him recruiting weekends resulted in the ACC moving it to midweek.

Moving it from Greensboro to Charlotte? Can't pin that one on Gary. That's ESPNU's presence.

AtlDuke72
06-17-2019, 08:34 PM
I'm not a huge Cremins fan...not sure why...)

You must not have ever met Bobby. Impossible to not like him. There is a reason why he could recruit the great players.

duke2x
06-17-2019, 11:36 PM
I will reiterate the obvious ones that should be on everybody's list: K, Cut, Dino, Pollard.

I will add our future men's soccer coach ca. 2035. He's a freshman this fall: Cameron Duke.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211805269&DB_OEM_ID=4200

HereBeforeCoachK
06-18-2019, 12:03 AM
You must not have ever met Bobby. Impossible to not like him. There is a reason why he could recruit the great players.

No, I never met him...but to clarify my point, I didn't say I disliked him, I said I wasn't a fan, meaning, of him as a coach. He did recruit great players, and he was likeable...but he plateaued at Tech and I think recruiting was maybe the only thing he was really good at.

sagegrouse
06-18-2019, 08:27 AM
No, I never met him...but to clarify my point, I didn't say I disliked him, I said I wasn't a fan, meaning, of him as a coach. He did recruit great players, and he was likeable...but he plateaued at Tech and I think recruiting was maybe the only thing he was really good at.

He was a very good offensive coach, but let the assistants handle the defense -- totally.

AtlDuke72
06-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Bobby had a system based on bringing in one super star a year. He was successful at it in bringing in Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, Stephan Marbury among others. When the landscape changed to one and done players he was not able to adjust and it all fell apart for Tech and Bobby.

jv001
06-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Bobby had a system based on bringing in one super star a year. He was successful at it in bringing in Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, Stephan Marbury among others. When the landscape changed to one and done players he was not able to adjust and it all fell apart for Tech and Bobby.

Outside of Coach K, Coach Bubas, "The White Rat", Jim Valvano, and Bones McKinney, I rank Bobby next in line of coaches I like or liked. GoDuke!