PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA 2019-20

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Furniture
06-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Where will our guys end up next year? Several of The brotherhood are available free agency or whatever.
Seth, Rodney, Quinn, Jabari (?), Austin, JJ? Will Brandon get traded? Will Amile and Trevon get a chance? My word there are a lot of moving parts here....

accfanfrom1970
06-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Where will our guys end up next year? Several of The brotherhood are available free agency or whatever.
Seth, Rodney, Quinn, Jabari (?), Austin, JJ? Will Brandon get traded? Will Amile and Trevon get a chance? My word there are a lot of moving parts here...

And Miles? He still under a rich contract with the Hawks?

Neals384
06-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Thanks for starting this thread! Perhaps someone would be so kind as to review "our" roster - can we list all the Duklies in the NBA (or potentially in), plus their contract status for 2020? Thanks in advance!

Furniture
06-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Grayson Allen, Utah Jazz: Under Contract 2.4 MUSD
Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento Kings: Under Contract 8.5 MUSD
Wendell Carter Jr, Chicago Bulls: Under Contract 5.2 MUSD
Quinn Cook, Golden State Warriors: Free agent
Seth Curry, Portland Trailblazers: Free agent
Luol Deng, Minnesota Timberwolves: Free agent
Harry Giles III, Sacramento Kings. Under Contract 2.6MUSD
Rodney Hood, Portland Trailblazers. Free agent
Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers. Under Contract 7.2 MUSD
Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics: Player option 21MUSD
Tyus Jones, Minnesota Timberwolves: Qualifying offer 3.8 MUSD
Luke Kennard, Detroit Pistons: Under contract 4MUSD.
Semi Ojeleye, Boston Celtics: Team option 1.6MUSD
Jahil Okafor, New Orleans Pelicans: Under Contract 1.7 MUSD
Frank Jackson, New Orleans Pelicans: Team option 1.6 MUSD
Jabari Parker, Chicago Bulls: Team option 20 MUSD
Mason Plumlee, Denver Nuggets: Under Contract 14 MUSD
Miles Plumlee, Atlanta Hawks: Under Contract 12.2 MUSD
J.J. Redick, Philadelphia 76ers: Free agent
Austin Rivers, Houston Rockets: Free agent
Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics: Under contract 7.8 MUSD
Lance Thomas, New York Knicks: Under contract 7.5 MUSD.
Gary Trent Jr, Portland Trailblazers: Under contract 1.4 MUSD
Justise Winslow, Miami Heat: Under contract 13 MUSD.

Furniture
06-09-2019, 01:49 PM
These are the guys in doubt barring any trades of course.

Jabari Parker, Chicago Bulls: Team option 20 MUSD

accfanfrom1970
06-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Interesting out of all the 2015 champs, it’s Winslow at 13M leading the pack. And Lance has certainly carved out a nice contract after not being drafted.

Gooch
06-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Oh no! My DBR draft research for Portland thought Rodney had one year left on his deal—my pick may need to step in right away!

Rodney played well in the playoffs and probably earned himself a nice payday...we’ll see if Portland can resign him because they are cap challenged.

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Interesting out of all the 2015 champs, it’s Winslow at 13M leading the pack. And Lance has certainly carved out a nice contract after not being drafted.

How about Amile?

brevity
06-09-2019, 05:40 PM
How about Amile?

RealGM (https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Orlando-Magic/21/Rosters/Regular) lists him (currently at Orlando) as a restricted free agent.

BigZ
06-09-2019, 06:00 PM
I could see Quinn following Durant

NSDukeFan
06-09-2019, 06:31 PM
I could see Quinn following Durant

And becoming one of the best players in the league? 😀

Dave1963
06-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Parker was traded from Chicago Bulls to Washington Wizards, who now hold a team option for $20m for next season

MCFinARL
06-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Parker was traded from Chicago Bulls to Washington Wizards, who now hold a team option for $20m for next season

And, as a DC-area resident who has watched the mess that is the Wizards for several years now [and the more capable, if inappropriately named, Bullets before that), I hope that one way or another this works out well for Jabari.

Furniture
06-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Jabari Parker, Washington Wizards: Team option 20 MUSD
Amile Jefferson, Magic: Restricted free agent.

Indoor66
06-10-2019, 07:55 AM

What is MUSD?

budwom
06-10-2019, 08:01 AM
interesting time for these guys...I hope that some of them realize (e.g. Cook, Seth Curry, Rodney Hood) that they MIGHT want to stay where they are (if offered a decent deal) vs going after the maximum money...they seem to have good roles on teams that win and appreciate them...that's worth something. Making seven million a year in a good situation might be better than making ten million with the godawful Knix, for example...gotta think long term strategy a bit.

PensDevil
06-10-2019, 08:23 AM
What is MUSD?

Million US Dollars I think.

sagegrouse
06-10-2019, 08:29 AM
What is MUSD?

As opposed to BUSD ($US billions )

JasonEvans
06-10-2019, 11:12 AM

If the DC front office has a brain, we should just go ahead and list Jabari as a free agent. I cannot imagine any team would want to pay him $20 mil for next season. He's a decent scorer, though he's not super efficient and is yet to show that he can be a great outside shooter (which is the most important skill in the NBA these days). He's one of the worst defenders in the league (though he was better on the Wiz than his disastrous tenure with the Bulls). I will be mildly shocked if anyone offers him more than about $7 or 8 mil and it would not be all that surprising if the market for him is close to nil and he is forced to sign for the veteran minimum.

The things Jabari does well are not important in the modern NBA and the things he does poorly are really important. Sorta like Jahlil, he's just not made for the league at this time.

-Jason "there is a Wiz fan site that says to exercise Jabari's option and then trade him... I'll be stunned if that works" Evans

mkirsh
06-10-2019, 11:28 AM
If the DC front office has a brain, we should just go ahead and list Jabari as a free agent. I cannot imagine any team would want to pay him $20 mil for next season. He's a decent scorer, though he's not super efficient and is yet to show that he can be a great outside shooter (which is the most important skill in the NBA these days). He's one of the worst defenders in the league (though he was better on the Wiz than his disastrous tenure with the Bulls). I will be mildly shocked if anyone offers him more than about $7 or 8 mil and it would not be all that surprising if the market for him is close to nil and he is forced to sign for the veteran minimum.

The things Jabari does well are not important in the modern NBA and the things he does poorly are really important. Sorta like Jahlil, he's just not made for the league at this time.

-Jason "there is a Wiz fan site that says to exercise Jabari's option and then trade him... I'll be stunned if that works" Evans

Wiz front office does not have a brain - it’s currently unoccupied with no GM less than 2 weeks away from the draft. Reportedly Brooks likes Jabari and they want to bring him back, but I would image they would decline the team option and try to negotiate a free agent deal, but as I said no one is minding the store so they don’t have plan. Do they try to piece a team together around Beal and hope to make the playoffs in the east as a 7 or 8 seed? Jabari at the right price could help there. Do they blow everything up and trade Beal for young talent and draft picks? Jabari likely would not be part of those plans (despite being only 24, given his knees I don’t think he would be part of anyone’s youth movement). Do they keep Brooks? Right now no one knows. As well run as the Caps front office has been, it amazing that the same ownership has been completely inept with the Wiz.

budwom
06-10-2019, 12:28 PM
I always chuckle at the notion of bad or mediocre teams trading valuable assets and then relying on their incompetent front offices to somehow acquire great talent to rebuild....my Deeetroit City Tigers are a good example of this, giving away some solid veteran players for sacks of beads and cartons of bobbleheads. They stink now and will continue to stink as their feeble acquired assets stumble and bumble in the minors...

Truth&Justise
06-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Thanks for making this list. You might want to add free agent Trevon Duval. With him, a staggering 25 Duke guys played in the NBA last season (https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=duke) (not including Ojeleye because he's an SMU alumn...why is he listed here?).

Of those 25 guys, all except four will certainly be back in the NBA next year. The four guys whose NBA future is in doubt: Luol Deng, Jabari Parker, Amile Jefferson and Trevon Duval.

The Lakers bought out Luol Deng halfway through his albatross 2016 contract, and Minnesota gave him a one-year deal for the veteran minimum. He didn't produce much on the court, averaging 7 points per game over 22 games. And if his main role was to provide veteran stability, the chaos in Minnesota (mostly Jimmy Butler's fault) is not a good sign. There's a chance someone else gives him a veteran minimum deal to be a locker-room presence, but at this point it looks like Thibs has finally finished running him into the ground. My guess is Luol Deng's very good NBA career has come to a close.

JasonEvans already covered Jabari Parker: the Wizards will almost certainly turn down his $20M contract option, but someone will give him a contract based on the promise of his bench scoring. Worst case scenario it's a deal like Jahlil Okafor signed with New Orleans, where a team retains a second year option, meaning all the risk is on Jabari. But he's probably in the league next year.

Amile Jefferson worked his way into the NBA, appearing in 12 games for the Magic. He didn't produce much on the court, but he's too good to play in the G-League. Given how hard he's worked to get this far, I imagine he'll find another contract somewhere in the NBA. I'm hoping he can have a breakout moment next year that can lead to a long career as an NBA backup. But at the very least I think he'll appear in at least one NBA game next year.

Finally, there's Trevon Duval, who played three games with the Bucks, got cut, then claimed by Houston off of waivers, before being cut again. He hasn't shown much in the NBA yet, nor has he put up dominant G-league stats. My guess is he spends next year in the G-League trying to prove he's NBA material.

So, by my count that record-breaking 2019 class of NBA Alum (https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=duke) will lose two members next season (Deng and Duval) but add three more (Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cameron Reddish), bringing the total number of Duke guys appearing in an NBA game to 26.

Truth&Justise
06-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Wiz front office does not have a brain - it’s currently unoccupied with no GM less than 2 weeks away from the draft. Reportedly Brooks likes Jabari and they want to bring him back, but I would image they would decline the team option and try to negotiate a free agent deal, but as I said no one is minding the store so they don’t have plan. Do they try to piece a team together around Beal and hope to make the playoffs in the east as a 7 or 8 seed? Jabari at the right price could help there. Do they blow everything up and trade Beal for young talent and draft picks? Jabari likely would not be part of those plans (despite being only 24, given his knees I don’t think he would be part of anyone’s youth movement). Do they keep Brooks? Right now no one knows. As well run as the Caps front office has been, it amazing that the same ownership has been completely inept with the Wiz.

Even if they really like Jabari, the Wizards are already over the cap and could be close to the luxury tax, so I can't imagine they would keep Jabari at his current contract.

jimsumner
06-10-2019, 12:36 PM

[B]

So, by my count that record-breaking 2019 class of NBA Alum (https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=duke) will lose two members next season (Deng and Duval) but add three more (Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cameron Reddish), bringing the total number of Duke guys appearing in an NBA game to 26.

If playing one regular-season NBA game is the metric, than I would expect Marques Bolden to make it 27.

Matt Jones is still trying to move up. He's not the dominant G-League player that Jefferson is but he's made a credible case for himself. This will be his third year in the G League, so I'm thinking this is his move-up or move-to-Europe year.

budwom
06-10-2019, 12:39 PM
^^^ technically if you attended a school you're an alum, which is why I'm a Miami Law alum after my scintillating two weeks in Coral Gables, and why Semi can be on the Duke list..

Truth&Justise
06-10-2019, 12:57 PM
^^^ technically if you attended a school you're an alum, which is why I'm a Miami Law alum after my scintillating two weeks in Coral Gables, and why Semi can be on the Duke list..

Michael Gbinije is as close to the NBA as Matt Jones is, but we don't seem as interested in following him. If Rasheed Sulaimon mounted a run at an NBA job, would that gain much attention? Are the Liberty U boards still following Seth Curry? (I honestly don't know for that last one)

My point is, it kind of seem like we're counting Semi Ojeleye because he's in the NBA and therefore makes Duke look good. For consistency's sake, I say we stick with guys who played for Duke as their final collegiate team.

jimsumner
06-10-2019, 12:57 PM

True. But athletes traditionally are associated with the last school they attended. Duke, for example, does not list Elliott Williams, Michael Gibinijie or Semi Ojeleye on their list of NBA players. Duke football doesn't claim Ben Watson, WBB doesn't claim Azura Stevens.

For example.

budwom
06-10-2019, 02:51 PM
True. But athletes traditionally are associated with the last school they attended. Duke, for example, does not list Elliott Williams, Michael Gibinijie or Semi Ojeleye on their list of NBA players. Duke football doesn't claim Ben Watson, WBB doesn't claim Azura Stevens.

For example.

no argument, I was just trying to suggest a reason for the original list (which I did not compile)...

Neals384
06-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the list, furniture. It's amazing to me to see 25 Dukies on the league, with 3 more coming soon! And maybe Marques too.

JasonEvans
06-10-2019, 07:26 PM
So, I really, really don't want it to happen but Lance Thomas's contact is mostly non-guaranteed for this coming season and it is not impossible to imagine the Knicks cutting him loose to give themselves more cap room. He is due to make $7.5 mil and the Knicks may decide there are free agents upon whom that money is better spent.

-Jason "only $1 mil of the contract will be guaranteed. It is possible the Knicks waive him and then try to resign him to a veteran minimum deal" Evans

-jk
06-10-2019, 08:43 PM
So, I really, really don't want it to happen but Lance Thomas's contact is mostly non-guaranteed for this coming season and it is not impossible to imagine the Knicks cutting him loose to give themselves more cap room. He is due to make $7.5 mil and the Knicks may decide there are free agents upon whom that money is better spent.

-Jason "only $1 mil of the contract will be guaranteed. It is possible the Knicks waive him and then try to resign him to a veteran minimum deal" Evans

(I'd take $1MM to be cut loose from my current gig...)

Reilly
06-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Pro Football Reference shows Ben Watson's Duke ties: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsBe00.htm Duke should claim him as well. He played. Scored a TD.

For the sake of completeness, I like when these lists include Semi etc ... if it's a list of former Duke players who play in the NBA, he qualifies ... if it's a list of players with a Duke degree who play in the NBA, then maybe he doesn't and shouldn't be listed (but nor do a lot of others) ... to my mind, it's about the integrity of the list and the meaning of words and striving for completeness ... so, if we have a list about Duke players in the NBA, I'd prefer it strive for completeness and that it list all former Duke players now playing in the NBA ... if we want a different list (players we like more b/c they only played college ball at Duke and played in the NBA) then call it something like that ... Duke Football should claim Ben Watson as a former Duke player in the NFL because, lo and behold, he is a former Duke player in the NFL ...

Acymetric
06-10-2019, 10:47 PM

For example.

With grad transfers being the notable exception, where they tend to be associated with both (this doesn't apply to anyone being discussed, just pointing it out before someone says something about Russell Wilson).

Acymetric
06-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Pro Football Reference shows Ben Watson's Duke ties: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatsBe00.htm Duke should claim him as well. He played. Scored a TD.

For the sake of completeness, I like when these lists include Semi etc ... if it's a list of former Duke players who play in the NBA, he qualifies ... if it's a list of players with a Duke degree who play in the NBA, then maybe he doesn't and shouldn't be listed (but nor do a lot of others) ... to my mind, it's about the integrity of the list and the meaning of words and striving for completeness ... so, if we have a list about Duke players in the NBA, I'd prefer it strive for completeness and that it list all former Duke players now playing in the NBA ... if we want a different list (players we like more b/c they only played college ball at Duke and played in the NBA) then call it something like that ... Duke Football should claim Ben Watson as a former Duke player in the NFL because, lo and behold, he is a former Duke player in the NFL ...

As Jim mentioned, it is usually about who they played for last. If we're including guys like Semi that's fine, but I would want an asterisk next to those guys on the list.

Put another way, this is a "finished their college career at Duke" list.

Furniture
06-10-2019, 10:56 PM
As Jim mentioned, it is usually about who they played for last. If we're including guys like Semi that's fine, but I would want an asterisk next to those guys on the list.

Put another way, this is a "finished their college career at Duke" list.

Sorry it’s a Furniture list....

UrinalCake
06-11-2019, 10:04 AM
What is MUSD?

NSDukeFan
06-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Sorry it’s a Furniture list...

But I thought we were cheering for laundry?

quahog174
06-13-2019, 10:57 PM
Tatum taking heat in Boston per Boston.com:
After the Blues’ won, Boston Celtic forward Jayson Tatum expressed his support: ST LOUIS FOREVER!!!!!
While many could argue Tatum was just supporting his hometown team, Zolak called the tweet “immature” considering the Boston-St.Louis matchup.

“I’d say that’s a guy who doesn’t get a grasp for the city he plays in. That’s a bad look,” Zolak said of Tatum.

Acymetric
06-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Tatum taking heat in Boston per Boston.com:
After the Blues’ won, Boston Celtic forward Jayson Tatum expressed his support: ST LOUIS FOREVER!!!!!
While many could argue Tatum was just supporting his hometown team, Zolak called the tweet “immature” considering the Boston-St.Louis matchup.

“I’d say that’s a guy who doesn’t get a grasp for the city he plays in. That’s a bad look,” Zolak said of Tatum.

I don't know who Zolak is, but I'm going to assume he's a dillweed*.

Immature? Tatum isn't married to Boston, he just plays there. He wasn't forced to give up his previous hometowns when he was drafted. Will it be an issue if he wears Duke gear to a Duke-BC game? Good grief. I like the Celtics (even outside of the Duke ties, I liked them when they had KG/Rondo/Pierce too), but Boston is one of my absolute least favorite sports cities due to their media personalities and fans.

Ok, a brief google search plus the above quote leaves me about 90% sure I'm right about that. Former Patriot? Make that 95%.

Edouble
06-14-2019, 01:02 AM
Yeah, Steph Curry is a huge Panthers fan. You don't have to give up your home town team!

JetpackJesus
06-14-2019, 01:21 AM
I don't know who Zolak is, but I'm going to assume he's a dillweed*.

Immature? Tatum isn't married to Boston, he just plays there. He wasn't forced to give up his previous hometowns when he was drafted. Will it be an issue if he wears Duke gear to a Duke-BC game? Good grief. I like the Celtics (even outside of the Duke ties, I liked them when they had KG/Rondo/Pierce too), but Boston is one of my absolute least favorite sports cities due to their media personalities and fans.

Ok, a brief google search plus the above quote leaves me about 90% sure I'm right about that. Former Patriot? Make that 95%.
Expanding my vocabulary today!

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
2) New York sports fan;
3) Philadelphia sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
Beavis and Butt-head

Acymetric
06-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
2) New York sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
Beavis and Butt-head

I couldn't fully explain how that word came to me...I don't think I've ever actually used it. I was having trouble coming up with a word that wouldn't set off the filters and suddenly it just popped in my head and I figured "yeah that works".

Furniture
06-15-2019, 08:42 AM
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/marques-bolden-nba-workout-duke-blue-devils-132829623/

Some interesting comments from Marques that although next years Duke roster was not the sole deciding factor for him to go pro it was something he thought about.

budwom
06-15-2019, 09:25 AM

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
2) New York sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
Beavis and Butt-head

the term around my locale is dinkweed*, not dillweed...Tatum's "indiscretion" seems ludicrously petty...if they want to complain about a Duke guy, let them complain about Kyrie...I had such huge hopes for him in Boston, loved the way the season started for him, and then he alienated everyone within a 100 mile radius of Beantown....painful display of dinkweeditude....

*Ha just checked it out in the Urban Dictionary, and they credit the Beantown area for popularizing the term decades ago, so there!

clinresga
06-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
2) New York sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
Beavis and Butt-head

Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. As a Philly native/fan (mainly the Sixers), I get it. I hate Boston fans with a passion, but not because of who they are, but because of their unconscionable level of success versus most fan bases, Philly included (though the Super Bowl was nice). But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. Come on, Jetpack, are you really saying you think that, say, LA fans, arriving 45 minutes late for a Lakers game and leaving by the end of the third quarter, are better than Philly fans because they're more refined?

I'll prove my point: Google "most hated college basketball fans." Yup, it's us. We're the Boston/NYC/Philly fan base of college basketball. And I'm proud of that.

BD80
06-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. As a Philly native/fan (mainly the Sixers), I get it. I hate Boston fans with a passion, but not because of who they are, but because of their unconscionable level of success versus most fan bases, Philly included (though the Super Bowl was nice). But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. Come on, Jetpack, are you really saying you think that, say, LA fans, arriving 45 minutes late for a Lakers game and leaving by the end of the third quarter, are better than Philly fans because they're more refined?

I'll prove my point: Google "most hated college basketball fans." Yup, it's us. We're the Boston/NYC/Philly fan base of college basketball. And I'm proud of that.

Santa will never get hit with a snowball at a Lakers game.

You want passion and commitment? Come to the Midwest, Packer fans, Bear fans, and Steeler fans are at least the equal of any other - they brave conditions never imagined on the coast. Seahawk fans are in the discussion, with Chief fans up there as well. Raider fans have a fair claim too - they follow the team to LA and Las Vegas.

Knowledge? That is just East Coast arrogance, common in the 3 metro areas (one continuous metro area?). Mostly, they just talk a lot and pretend they are smart. Not the same as knowledge.

Please don't compare Duke fans to northern East Coast "fans," it's insulting.

bundabergdevil
06-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Zion, The Oak, Jackson and Ingram...looks like I will be rooting for the Pelicans....

This got me thinking about which NBA team current or past has had the most number of players from the same college at one time. Four from the same university seems like it might be up there. I poked around the googles to see if such a list had been compiled but didn't find anything other than aggregate numbers of school alumni in the NBA.

clinresga
06-16-2019, 08:39 AM

You want passion and commitment? Come to the Midwest, Packer fans, Bear fans, and Steeler fans are at least the equal of any other - they brave conditions never imagined on the coast. Seahawk fans are in the discussion, with Chief fans up there as well. Raider fans have a fair claim too - they follow the team to LA and Las Vegas.

Knowledge? That is just East Coast arrogance, common in the 3 metro areas (one continuous metro area?). Mostly, they just talk a lot and pretend they are smart. Not the same as knowledge.

Wow, lots of generalizations! ALL East Coast fans are ignorant and arrogant :confused:

Totally agree there are many passionate fanbases out there. But first, note that I'm talking geography, not team loyalty. So, for my discussion, Raiders fans in LA don't count as Vegas fans. And, I'm talking about all sports, not just the NFL. So, for example, Seattle gets credit for awesome Seahawk fans. But Sonics fans, not so much. We can debate whether lack of funding for a new stadium is equivalent to weak fan support, but at the very least, the hoops fanbase in Seattle was unable to even keep a team in town. In contrast, for example, Boston--with roughly the same population as Seattle--can claim the Red Sox, Bruins, Pats, and Celts fanbases, all at the top of the list in each respective sport.

As for the Duke comparison, there are plenty of "dillweeds" in these East Coast towns, unlike the Duke fanbase. But, citing my best insider source in the NBA, JJ Redick is emphatic that the Philly fanbase is the most supportive and engaged in the NBA. And he played four years in Cameron!

subzero02
06-16-2019, 08:40 AM
This got me thinking about which NBA team current or past has had the most number of players from the same college at one time. Four from the same university seems like it might be up there. I poked around the googles to see if such a list had been compiled but didn't find anything other than aggregate numbers of school alumni in the NBA.

Denver has 3 Kentucky players ( Murray, Lyles and Vanderbilt).
Portland has 3 Duke players ( Hood, Curry and Trent).
Sacramento has 3 kentucky players ( Cauley-Stein, Fox and two-way affiliate player Gabriel)
Oklahoma City has 3 kentucky players ( Diallo, Noel, and Patterson).
*New Orleans had 3 kentucky players on their roster before trading Davis ( Davis, Miller, and Randle).

If New Orleans drafts Zion, they will likely lead this list going into next season with 4 Duke players(Zion, Okafor, Jackson and Ingram) but who knows what will happen between now and the season opener.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Wow, lots of generalizations! ALL East Coast fans are ignorant and arrogant :confused:

Totally agree there are many passionate fanbases out there. But first, note that I'm talking geography, not team loyalty. So, for my discussion, Raiders fans in LA don't count as Vegas fans. And, I'm talking about all sports, not just the NFL. So, for example, Seattle gets credit for awesome Seahawk fans. But Sonics fans, not so much. We can debate whether lack of funding for a new stadium is equivalent to weak fan support, but at the very least, the hoops fanbase in Seattle was unable to even keep a team in town. In contrast, for example, Boston--with roughly the same population as Seattle--can claim the Red Sox, Bruins, Pats, and Celts fanbases, all at the top of the list in each respective sport.

As for the Duke comparison, there are plenty of "dillweeds" in these East Coast towns, unlike the Duke fanbase. But, citing my best insider source in the NBA, JJ Redick is emphatic that the Philly fanbase is the most supportive and engaged in the NBA. And he played four years in Cameron!

As someone who lived many years in Seattle, they were/are MASSIVE Sonics fans. They are still salty over the sale of the team and move to OKC. Did you perhaps mean Mariners? Because I would agree with you, though the team hasn't been exciting since Ichiro's arrival (fhe first time).

golfinesquire
06-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Wow! That is both insulting and arrogant. I am always amazed how my friends and colleagues who are either Giants or Jets fans can talk with great awareness of the players on other teams around the league. And, what makes it even more amazing is that in a place like NYC. or Boston. there is so much else to do, between museums, concerts, plays etc., that we all still manage to pay close and careful attention to our local teams and their competition.

Furniture
06-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Some thread hijacking going on........

bundabergdevil
06-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Denver has 3 Kentucky players ( Murray, Lyles and Vanderbilt).
Portland has 3 Duke players ( Hood, Curry and Trent).
Sacramento has 3 kentucky players ( Cauley-Stein, Fox and two-way affiliate player Gabriel)
Oklahoma City has 3 kentucky players ( Diallo, Noel, and Patterson).
*New Orleans had 3 kentucky players on their roster before trading Davis ( Davis, Miller, and Randle).

If New Orleans drafts Zion, they will likely lead this list going into next season with 4 Duke players(Zion, Okafor, Jackson and Ingram) but who knows what will happen between now and the season opener.

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on subzero02 again."

Thanks for doing some research! Agree, long way until the season starts but would be fun if 4 Duke players ended up on the same team. Give me a good reason for a trip to NO to eat some creole, slurp some heads out of crawfish and watch some ball.

jimsumner
06-16-2019, 11:59 AM
The 1949 Indianapolis Olympians had four former Kentucky players, Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, Cliff Barker and Wallace Jones.

It's probably a coincidence that the franchise folded a few years later.

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Bad example. Actually, population of Greater Boston area is over 3M more than population of Greater Seattle area.

arnie
06-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Bad example. Actually, population of Greater Boston area is over 3M more than population of Greater Seattle area.

Boston 10th largest MSA - 4.8 million
Seattle 15th largest MSA - 3.9 million

sagegrouse
06-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Boston 10th largest MSA - 4.8 million
Seattle 15th largest MSA - 3.9 million

Combined Statistical Areas (new concept):

Boston-Worcester-Providence MA-RI-CT-NH -- 8,285,407

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia -- 4,199,213

BigZ
06-16-2019, 05:28 PM
It would awesome if NO somehow drafts Cam or RJ then uses this lineup

Oak
Zion
Ingram
RJ / Cam
Frank

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-16-2019, 05:50 PM

Oak
Zion
Ingram
RJ / Cam
Frank

Frank won't be starting ahead of Lonzo.

gep
06-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Oak
Zion
Ingram
RJ / Cam
Frank

Frank won't be starting ahead of Lonzo.

Maybe the 5 won't start... but would be cool if at some point in some games, this lineup is out there on the court.:cool:

MCFinARL
06-16-2019, 11:35 PM

That is certainly what every school development office thinks!

MCFinARL
06-16-2019, 11:51 PM

Leaving aside the East Coast arrogance issue, as a native (though now transplanted) Pittsburgher, I question your description of Pittsburgh as being in the "midwest." Granted, it has a cultural affinity with a lot of historically industrial midwestern cities, it's west of the Allegheny Mountains, and it's not generally identified with the "coastal elite." But it is in Pennsylvania, for goodness' sake. It's likely just the insecurity bred from years of being looked down on by folks from Philly, but I like to think of myself as an Easterner when cheering on my Stillerz.

BD80
06-17-2019, 12:00 AM
Leaving aside the East Coast arrogance issue, as a native (though now transplanted) Pittsburgher, I question your description of Pittsburgh as being in the "midwest." Granted, it has a cultural affinity with a lot of historically industrial midwestern cities, it's west of the Allegheny Mountains, and it's not generally identified with the "coastal elite." But it is in Pennsylvania, for goodness' sake. It's likely just the insecurity bred from years of being looked down on by folks from Philly, but I like to think of myself as an Easterner when cheering on my Stillerz.

I was born and raised in the burg as well. I apologize for my geographical inaccuracy - but let me explain:

I now live in Michigan, and those who went to UM claim to be as smart as Bostonians think they are (let THAT sink in!). In UM's ironically named fight song, the Wolverines claim to be "the Champions of the West." If Ann Arbor is "west," Pittsburgh MUST be Midwest.

I've done lots and lots of research, but can't find anyplace in the "Mideast."

MCFinARL
06-17-2019, 07:44 AM
I was born and raised in the burg as well. I apologize for my geographical inaccuracy - but let me explain:

I now live in Michigan, and those who went to UM claim to be as smart as Bostonians think they are (let THAT sink in!). In UM's ironically named fight song, the Wolverines claim to be "the Champions of the West." If Ann Arbor is "west," Pittsburgh MUST be Midwest.

No Mideast--that's a fair point. And I do remember the Michigan fight song lyrics, which tell us a lot about how people felt about US geography in 1898 (when, according to the Michigan athletics site, it was written).

Once, many, many years ago, I met someone (in Boston, as it happens) from McLean, VA, who asked where I was from. On being told Pittsburgh, he said,
"I was in Detroit once. Interesting part of the country." I was so nonplussed I didn't think to say "I wouldn't know. I've never been there." So, yeah, East Coast arrogance definitely exists, and maybe I should just embrace my Midwestern heritage. (Still haven't been to Detroit, though.)

budwom
06-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Northwestern University was named after the "Northwest Territory in 1851 and featured such "northwest" states as Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Minny Soda, Michigan...everything is relative I guess, including NYC folks calling anything north of White Plains "upstate NY." Generally, in today's parlance, I'd say the midwest begins with Ohio...

clinresga
06-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Since when am I supposed to let facts interfere with my opinions;)

Still, I'll retreat to my original premise. There are plenty of jerks among Northeastern city fans, but the majority remain diehard, loyal fans who live and die with their teams, the same way we do with the Devils. To paint all of them with the broad brush of "dillweed" while apparently giving the rest of the country a pass (GSW owners shoving Kawhi, Toronto fans applauding KD, anyone?) seems driven by crude stereotypes

Indoor66
06-17-2019, 08:14 AM

When the Erie Canal opened, it opened the west and that meant the Great Lakes and areas east of the Mississippi.

jimsumner
06-17-2019, 11:31 AM
The Big 10 was founded in the 1890s and originally called The Western Conference.

FWIW

BD80
06-17-2019, 11:42 AM
The Big 10 was founded in the 1890s and originally called The Western Conference.

FWIW

How many schools?

jimsumner
06-17-2019, 12:30 PM
How many schools?

Seven. Including the University of Chicago, an athletic powerhouse at the time. Also Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I argued for an even number but was not listened to. :)

NSDukeFan
06-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Seven. Including the University of Chicago, an athletic powerhouse at the time. Also Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I argued for an even number but was not listened to. :)

You were fairly young at that point.

Indoor66
06-17-2019, 01:36 PM

No he wasn't. I was there. 😂😎

Furniture
06-17-2019, 01:41 PM
I don’t mean to gripe but why not open another thread to discuss universities, conferences and fans? Not sure what you guys are even discussing because I open this thread up to see if there is news on ‘Dukies in the NBA’.

sagegrouse
06-17-2019, 06:07 PM

FWIW

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

Last two lines of "The Victors."

NSDukeFan
06-17-2019, 06:09 PM
No he wasn't. I was there. 😂😎

Ohhhhh, so the 66 in your DBR name stands for your birth year of 1866?

devildeac
06-17-2019, 06:26 PM

I don't the #1 or #8 in his screen name, so...

:p

Indoor66
06-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Only 18?

BD80
06-17-2019, 09:19 PM
I don’t mean to gripe but why not open another thread to discuss universities, conferences and fans? Not sure what you guys are even discussing because I open this thread up to see if there is news on ‘Dukies in the NBA’.

Luol is in the league, and he's really old.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

Last two lines of "The Victors."

Like I said, ironic ...

chris13
06-18-2019, 10:59 AM
One of the oldest professional golf tournaments was the Western Open, started in 1899 which was run by the Western Golf Association. Both the tournament and the WGA are based in Chicago.

On the actual subject, the Jayson Tatum thing is just stupid. For a Boston sports radio host to call someone else immature is rich. Screw Zolak and Go Blues.

BD80
06-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. ... But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. ...

Those knowledgeable, passionate, and committed NYC fans supported their team by booing Daniel Jones at a Yankees game …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/giants-daniel-jones-hears-boos-at-yankee-stadium/ar-AAD43wQ?ocid=spartanntp

sagegrouse
06-18-2019, 04:36 PM

(a) Your second para. is just the phenomenon of being the "best-known" program. You may hate the duke team, but the Duke fans are really civil compared to other fan bases. Now, the structure of Cameron makes all the fans seem noisier.

(b) You know how horribly obnoxious Maryland and Rutgers fans are compared to the college fans in the rest of the nation? There is no limit to what they will say. I remember when Rutgers played Navy in football, they were wishing the Middies to die in war -- uhh, that's in defending the US of A. Well, they all grow up to be even worse as adults -- and there you have Philly, NY and Boston fans. "Knowledge" has nothing to do with it, if the behavior is so obnoxious. And, in my experience, the level of obnoxiousness is worse there than in other other regions of the country.

But maybe I haven't watched sports in enough cities.

Furniture
06-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Annoyed

brlftz
06-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Annoyed

They’re just messing with us at this point.

clinresga
06-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Those knowledgeable, passionate, and committed NYC fans supported their team by booing Daniel Jones at a Yankees game …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/giants-daniel-jones-hears-boos-at-yankee-stadium/ar-AAD43wQ?ocid=spartanntp

First, apologies to Furniture. But, this thread is irretrievably broken, so I'll go back on my word and respond.

I probably would have booed him too. I guess that makes me a dillweed. I love Jones, I love that he's from Duke, rooting for him, but if I were a Giants fan, I'd be in the "he's a #6 pick????" camp. They are knowledgeable enough to question the wisdom of the pick, passionate enough to make that opinion clear, and committed to root for the Giants no matter what happens in the end. Warm and fuzzy, no. But fans, yes.

(a) Your second para. is just the phenomenon of being the "best-known" program. You may hate the duke team, but the Duke fans are really civil compared to other fan bases. Now, the structure of Cameron makes all the fans seem noisier.

(b) You know how horribly obnoxious Maryland and Rutgers fans are compared to the college fans in the rest of the nation? There is no limit to what they will say. I remember when Rutgers played Navy in football, they were wishing the Middies to die in war -- uhh, that's in defending the US of A. Well, they all grow up to be even worse as adults -- and there you have Philly, NY and Boston fans. "Knowledge" has nothing to do with it, if the behavior is so obnoxious. And, in my experience, the level of obnoxiousness is worse there than in other other regions of the country.

But maybe I haven't watched sports in enough cities.

Re point #1: then why doesn't everyone hate Villanova? Or Kansas, or the Zags? I think we're ignoring an elephant in the room if we're saying that the only reason other fans hate Duke is because we are well-known. Agree that Duke civility means that behavior is not a reason to hate us, but I can think of several other reasons beyond just being well-known.

And, again, I don't defend boorish behavior a la Maryland, or Philly snowball throwers. But I am amazed at the willingness of a purportedly enlightened group to make a blanket generalization that all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks. That's ridiculous: some of the best fans I know are Easterners who root for (in my circle) the Eagles and Sixers.

sagegrouse
06-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Re point #1: then why doesn't everyone hate Villanova? Or Kansas, or the Zags? I think we're ignoring an elephant in the room if we're saying that the only reason other fans hate Duke is because we are well-known. Agree that Duke civility means that behavior is not a reason to hate us, but I can think of several other reasons beyond just being well-known.

And, again, I don't defend boorish behavior a la Maryland, or Philly snowball throwers. But I am amazed at the willingness of a purportedly enlightened group to make a blanket generalization that all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks. That's ridiculous: some of the best fans I know are Easterners who root for (in my circle) the Eagles and Sixers.

You said "the most hated college basketball FANS." That's different from "team." Anyway, "most polls" are based on awareness of the options. How many times have we seen the big city glossy mags name the same restaurant as "best" and "most-overrated?" Name recognition is really important -- in basketball it's Duke. Also, chant material: "I hate Duke" is fairly clear; "I hate Kentucky" means exactly what? The state, horse racing, KFC -- not totally clear unless expressly in a hoops context.

I didn't say "all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks." It only takes 5-10 percent. Or maybe one percent?

BD80
06-19-2019, 09:56 AM
I probably would have booed him too. I guess that makes me a dillweed. ... if I were a Giants fan, I'd be in the "he's a #6 pick????" camp. They are knowledgeable enough to question the wisdom of the pick, ...

... I am amazed at the willingness of a purportedly enlightened group to make a blanket generalization that all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks. That's ridiculous: some of the best fans I know are Easterners who root for (in my circle) the Eagles and Sixers.

Knowledgeable enough to be led like sheep by the prestigious popular press in NYC? We have different standards of knowledgeable. This supports my claim, many NYC fans claim to be knowledgeable while loudly acting upon the opinions of others.

It is your own "blanket generalization" that proves my point:

... if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them.

Such a high, unjustified, opinion of themselves = obnoxious.

JasonEvans
06-19-2019, 10:03 AM
I probably would have booed him too. I guess that makes me a dillweed. I love Jones, I love that he's from Duke, rooting for him, but if I were a Giants fan, I'd be in the "he's a #6 pick????" camp. They are knowledgeable enough to question the wisdom of the pick, passionate enough to make that opinion clear, and committed to root for the Giants no matter what happens in the end. Warm and fuzzy, no. But fans, yes.

Boo the front office, the scouts, and the coaches if you think Jones was not a smart pick at #6... but why would you boo the player? The absolute worst thing you could say about Daniel Jones is that he played really well for Duke; had some really good workouts after his Duke career ended; came off as smart and hard-working in interviews; displayed confidence in his own abilities; and had multiple smart football people say good things about him... all of that led to the Giants picking him number 6.

So, please explain to me what aspect of that would lead you to want to boo him?

-Jason "I strongly suspect folks are going to look back on the Jones pick and think it was smart... a decent starting QB is worth a lot more than the #6 pick" Evans

Furniture
06-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Boo the front office, the scouts, and the coaches if you think Jones was not a smart pick at #6... but why would you boo the player? The absolute worst thing you could say about Daniel Jones is that he played really well for Duke; had some really good workouts after his Duke career ended; came off as smart and hard-working in interviews; displayed confidence in his own abilities; and had multiple smart football people say good things about him... all of that led to the Giants picking him number 6.

-Jason "I strongly suspect folks are going to look back on the Jones pick and think it was smart... a decent starting QB is worth a lot more than the #6 pick" Evans

Even you Jason? I mean come on. Is it too much for someone to start another thread?

clinresga
06-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Don't want to get all the way into the weeds, and I don't want to spend more of everyone's time defending boorish behavior. I like Jones, I want him to succeed, and I automatically root for all Dukies in the pros. I'm just saying that if I were as passionate about the Giants as I am about the Devils, and if I felt that Jones was not a great pick, then in the absence of the ability to actually boo the GM, the front office, and the scouts, I might have stooped low enough to boo Jones. I guess I'm just not as evolved as the rest of you when it comes to angelic behavior in the stands (Hey, I am from Philly--maybe it is indeed inborn?). Enough of this, sorry for prolonging this tangential discussion. Lots of East Coast fans are jerks. Lots of East Coast fans are not jerks and are passionate fans of their teams. Maybe we can at least agree about that.

budwom
06-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Don't want to get all the way into the weeds, and I don't want to spend more of everyone's time defending boorish behavior. I like Jones, I want him to succeed, and I automatically root for all Dukies in the pros. I'm just saying that if I were as passionate about the Giants as I am about the Devils, and if I felt that Jones was not a great pick, then in the absence of the ability to actually boo the GM, the front office, and the scouts, I might have stooped low enough to boo Jones. I guess I'm just not as evolved as the rest of you when it comes to angelic behavior in the stands (Hey, I am from Philly--maybe it is indeed inborn?). Enough of this, sorry for prolonging this tangential discussion. Lots of East Coast fans are jerks. Lots of East Coast fans are not jerks and are passionate fans of their teams. Maybe we can at least agree about that.

Yes, I think it's not unreasonable to infer that the fans (few as they may have been) were booing the choice, the GM, the organization, not Jones himself. Anyway, this is the stuff you put up with when you get paid millions to play a sport.

fidel
06-19-2019, 03:35 PM
When did Jones make it into the NBA? Impressive.

mkirsh
06-19-2019, 03:49 PM
When did Jones make it into the NBA? Impressive.

Imagine the booing if the Knicks take him at #3

JetpackJesus
06-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Imagine the booing if the Knicks take him at #3

To be fair, Jones does have good size for an NBA 2.

Neals384
06-19-2019, 05:26 PM
UM. Here's some actual NBA news...Grayson is now a Grizzly. See DBR front page. Discuss.

JasonEvans
06-19-2019, 06:29 PM
UM. Here's some actual NBA news...Grayson is now a Grizzly. See DBR front page. Discuss.

We've been talking about it for several hours in the NBA Summer Trades/Free Agency thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43850-2019-NBA-Summer-Free-Agency-Trades&p=1170375#post1170375).

jimsumner
06-19-2019, 07:09 PM
To be fair, Jones does have good size for an NBA 2.

According to Daniel Jones, basketball is his favorite sport. And he does have a brother playing hoops at Davidson. But his football skill-set surpassed his basketball skill set. And it seems to have worked out for him.

And maybe it's just me but the only reason I can think of for booing an athlete is if they are deliberately trying to injure someone.

As always, YMMV.

JetpackJesus
06-19-2019, 08:07 PM
According to Daniel Jones, basketball is his favorite sport. And he does have a brother playing hoops at Davidson. But his football skill-set surpassed his basketball skill set. And it seems to have worked out for him.

And maybe it's just me but the only reason I can think of for booing an athlete is if they are deliberately trying to injure someone.

As always, YMMV.

Jay Bilas--his son was DJ's teammate and DJ apparently dominated at Bilas' camp with a broken wrist--said DJ was good enough at basketball to make Duke's team if he wanted to. As I'm sure Bilas would be sure to remind us all, he's never wrong.

UrinalCake
06-19-2019, 08:17 PM
We've been talking about it for several hours in the NBA Summer Trades/Free Agency thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43850-2019-NBA-Summer-Free-Agency-Trades&p=1170375#post1170375).

Why we need is for a Duke player to get traded for the #1 or #3 pick. Then we can discuss it in all three of our NBA threads!

Native
06-20-2019, 01:27 PM
The Pelicans are picking up Jah’s option for next season (https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1141742519807631360?s=20):

Pelicans are picking up Jahlil Okafor’s team option for the 2019-2020 season, league sources tell ESPN. The New Orleans staff is impressed by the way Okafor has reworked his body and the improvements he’s made on the defensive end of the floor.

JasonEvans
06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
The Pelicans are picking up Jah’s option for next season (https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1141742519807631360?s=20):

He gets $1.7 mil... good money for you and me, but basically just the veteran minimum for a NBA player. Whew, the market on him was truly awful for him to have signed this contract.

-Jason "Jah will be an unrestricted free agent after this coming season, which is a little bit better than his fellow class of 2015 guys who were restricted free agents" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-20-2019, 03:56 PM
He gets $1.7 mil... good money for you and me, but basically just the veteran minimum for a NBA player. Whew, the market on him was truly awful for him to have signed this contract.

-Jason "Jah will be an unrestricted free agent after this coming season, which is a little bit better than his fellow class of 2015 guys who were restricted free agents" Evans

All the more incentive for him to show out this year. Gonna be fun watching the Cajun Devils this year.

BD80
06-20-2019, 04:10 PM
All the more incentive for him to show out this year. Gonna be fun watching the Cajun Devils this year.

Geaux Doux

JasonEvans
06-20-2019, 06:25 PM

Decent chance Cam is on Nawlins now that the trade with Atlanta has happened for the #8.

bundabergdevil
06-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Good news for Jabari --- Washington plans to decline his option (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2834254-report-wizards-decline-jabari-parker-contract-option-interest-in-re-signing) and would like to work out a new deal. Apparently Jabari shares that interest.

I did not see the career Jabari has had while he was at Duke...saw him being the upper echelon of talent but he is not an advanced stats darling to say the least.

JasonEvans
06-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Good news for Jabari --- Washington plans to decline his option (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2834254-report-wizards-decline-jabari-parker-contract-option-interest-in-re-signing) and would like to work out a new deal. Apparently Jabari shares that interest.

I did not see the career Jabari has had while he was at Duke...saw him being the upper echelon of talent but he is not an advanced stats darling to say the least.

The Wiz owe $38 mil to Wall, $27 mil to Beal, and $15.4 mil to Mahinmi. I suspect they will struggle to offer Jabari more than maybe around $5 mil a season. I think he would be wise to take that. I suspect there would not be a robust market for him at this point in his career. He must become a more efficient scorer and a better defender to be a significant player on a good team.

-Jason "right now, I think his NBA classmate Rodney Hood is a better NBA player" Evans

subzero02
06-22-2019, 07:34 PM
The Wiz owe $38 mil to Wall, $27 mil to Beal, and $15.4 mil to Mahinmi. I suspect they will struggle to offer Jabari more than maybe around $5 mil a season. I think he would be wise to take that. I suspect there would not be a robust market for him at this point in his career. He must become a more efficient scorer and a better defender to be a significant player on a good team.

-Jason "right now, I think his NBA classmate Rodney Hood is a better NBA player" Evans

That would place Parker's salary somewhere between Jarrett Culver's(#6) rookie salary and Coby White's(#7). This number initially seemed to be a bit low but considering his injury history, defensive shortcomings and the Wizards' salary cap issues, $5 million/year might be an accurate baseline prediction.

Rodney Hood is one of the most enigmatic players in sports. His self confidence has been so volatile over the last few years that it is hard to know on what nights he'll be a top 50 player in the league and what nights he'll be a DNP - CD. When he's firing on all cylinders, he's a devastating scorer/shooter.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Parker + Pelicans!

duke74
06-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Nice article on RJ in today’s NY Post. So pleased that he is a Knick. Loving it already. And shows some Z love.

Interesting point: He didn’t meet DJ at Duke? I know there are no “athlete dorms” at Duke, but aren’t there Athletic Dept events and interconnections? Weird to me.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/23/candid-rj-barrett-knicks-vision-funniest-zion-story-and-tom-brady-confession/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

bundabergdevil
06-23-2019, 11:27 AM
Nice article on RJ in today’s NY Post. So pleased that he is a Knick. Loving it already. And shows some Z love.

Interesting point: He didn’t meet DJ at Duke? I know there are no “athlete dorms” at Duke, but aren’t there Athletic Dept events and interconnections? Weird to me.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/23/candid-rj-barrett-knicks-vision-funniest-zion-story-and-tom-brady-confession/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. RJ (and DJ) both have a tough road to winning over NY but he really does seem to have a natural disposition for balance. Wonder if his parents will move to NYC with him like they did moving to Durham. Might help him make the transition. I'm really in awe of some of these guys graduating from HS, playing a year or two of big time ball, then leaping into NBA stardom. As we've learned from Jah and others, it's not always easy --- I can't even imagine the pressure, to be honest, considering my life at 19. RJ, more than any other Duke player in recent memory, seems mentally equipped for it though.

budwom
06-23-2019, 12:27 PM
I think RJ is built for this kind of challenge...great mental composition. He won't be able to fix the Nix by himself, but I definitely see him succeeding and becoming a leader.

sagegrouse
06-23-2019, 12:28 PM

For one thing, Daniel finished his coursework for his degree in December. Don't football and hoops have their own separate work-out facilities?

duke74
06-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. RJ (and DJ) both have a tough road to winning over NY but he really does seem to have a natural disposition for balance. Wonder if his parents will move to NYC with him like they did moving to Durham. Might help him make the transition. I'm really in awe of some of these guys graduating from HS, playing a year or two of big time ball, then leaping into NBA stardom. As we've learned from Jah and others, it's not always easy --- I can't even imagine the pressure, to be honest, considering my life at 19. RJ, more than any other Duke player in recent memory, seems mentally equipped for it though.

I think RJ will have an easier time of it here. He has already been embraced by Knicks fans, and his draft position was in the line with expectations. It is also helpful how open, articulate, and excited to be here he is.

He does have New York roots in his blood, with his mom, I believe, from Brooklyn. And each of his parents were stars at St. John’s University here in Queens (and where I am now a professor).

flyingdutchdevil
06-23-2019, 02:49 PM
I think RJ will have an easier time of it here. He has already been embraced by Knicks fans, and his draft position was in the line with expectations. It is also helpful how open, articulate, and excited to be here he is.

He does have New York roots in his blood, with his mom, I believe, from Brooklyn. And each of his parents were stars at St. John’s University here in Queens (and where I am now a professor).

That doesn’t mean much. Ewing - arguably the last truly loved Knick - was born in Jamaica and spend his high school years in Cambridge, Mass.

RJ will be embraced if he either puts up amazing numbers or gets the Knicks to win. The first is double; the second requires a miracle.

duke74
06-23-2019, 03:57 PM
That doesn’t mean much. Ewing - arguably the last truly loved Knick - was born in Jamaica and spend his high school years in Cambridge, Mass.

RJ will be embraced if he either puts up amazing numbers or gets the Knicks to win. The first is double; the second requires a miracle.

Possibly true, but focus on my first paragraph. He is already doing the right things to ingratiate himself with the Knicks fans including his profession that he wanted to be a Knick all along. He’s exactly where he should be at this stage.

This does go a long way around here, believe it or not.

bundabergdevil
06-23-2019, 07:08 PM
RJ's first intro in Madison...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1142915447840563201

CrazyNotCrazie
06-23-2019, 07:31 PM
RJ's first intro in Madison...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1142915447840563201

Nice suit, but if he really wants to be a Knick, RJ needs to call Clyde Frazier and get the name of his tailor...

duke74
06-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Nice suit, but if he really wants to be a Knick, RJ needs to call Clyde Frazier and get the name of his tailor...

RJ actually responded to a question on that in the interview I posted earlier. :)

bundabergdevil
06-23-2019, 08:39 PM

Tyler Herro has Clyde's number, RJ can get it from him.

JetpackJesus
06-24-2019, 02:41 AM
When I opened the ESPN App on my phone (Android) today, it asked me if I was a fan of the NBA because I could follow teams or specific players. This is a feature that ESPN had a few years ago and then dropped for whatever reason. Anyway, I went through and added all the Duke players to my follow list, so I just thought I would share that this is possible to do again.

Also, ESPN thinks Miles Plumlee is a point guard.

Billy Dat
06-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Possibly true, but focus on my first paragraph. He is already doing the right things to ingratiate himself with the Knicks fans including his profession that he wanted to be a Knick all along. He’s exactly where he should be at this stage.

This does go a long way around here, believe it or not.

I agree. As long as he plays hard and isn't a diva, the MSG crowd will love him and cheer for him. I think it's going to be a great marriage.

Daniel Jones will have a much tougher road. He was picked so high, and the local sports radio scene is so football/baseball focused, that he will be scrutinized like crazy. Everyone knows the Knicks are going to be bad again, I think RJ has only upside.

Furniture
06-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere. Interviews of Luke Kennard, Matt Jones, Jahil, Gene Banks and Shane Battier at the recent K academy.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211805395

brevity
06-25-2019, 06:15 PM
How about Amile?

RealGM (https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Orlando-Magic/21/Rosters/Regular) lists him (currently at Orlando) as a restricted free agent.

Update: the Orlando Magic have extended a qualifying offer to Amile Jefferson (https://twitter.com/Magic_PR/status/1143624932984786947) (and also Khem Birch).

"By extending qualifying offers to Birch and Jefferson prior to the June 29 deadline, Orlando owns the right to match any offer sheet they may sign with another team. Both players will become restricted free agents on June 30."

Billy Dat
06-26-2019, 03:30 PM
CBooz is with his son in Cooperstown for one of those weeks where 12 year olds compete in their final year of Little League up at the American birthplace of baseball. His son looks like Cecil Fielder playing against an elementary school and Booz has already posted 3 IG videos of the kid smashing homers.

https://www.instagram.com/mrcbooz/?hl=en

As he would say HOLDAT!!!

JetpackJesus
06-26-2019, 05:11 PM
This isn't a surprise, I don't think, but Wojnarowski tweeted (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1143920571278856192) that Minnesota extended a qualifying offer to Tyus.

MartyClark
06-26-2019, 05:36 PM
CBooz is with his son in Cooperstown for one of those weeks where 12 year olds compete in their final year of Little League up at the American birthplace of baseball. His son looks like Cecil Fielder playing against an elementary school and Booz has already posted 3 IG videos of the kid smashing homers.

https://www.instagram.com/mrcbooz/?hl=en

As he would say HOLDAT!!!

Carlos' sons look sturdy. Do they play basketball? Are they early Duke candidates? Best wishes to Carlos and his family. He was a really good player, and seemingly a good guy, for Duke.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Carlos' sons look sturdy. Do they play basketball? Are they early Duke candidates? Best wishes to Carlos and his family. He was a really good player, and seemingly a good guy, for Duke.

If baseball is their game, I am happy to have them play for Coach Pollard!

nmduke2001
06-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Looking through his Instagram, I noticed his basketball playing son is named Cameron.

JasonEvans
06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
This instagram video (https://www.instagram.com/p/BzE4YaolRT5/) of Cameron Boozer is hysterical. Notice the LFer just sitting there with his hands behind his back, unmoving, as Boozer's homerun soars over the fence. Also, the 2B and SS who give congrats to Boozer as he rounds the bases look like they are about 1/3rd of his size. He quite literally appears to be a man playing with small boys.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-27-2019, 10:08 AM
This instagram video (https://www.instagram.com/p/BzE4YaolRT5/) of Cameron Boozer is hysterical. Notice the LFer just sitting there with his hands behind his back, unmoving, as Boozer's homerun soars over the fence. Also, the 2B and SS who give congrats to Boozer as he rounds the bases look like they are about 1/3rd of his size. He quite literally appears to be a man playing with small boys.

Goodness. You ain't joking. Massive fellow.

Edouble
06-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Why do the players on the other team give high fives when Carmani hits his home runs? Is that common practice in kids baseball these days?

sagegrouse
06-27-2019, 10:54 AM
Goodness. You ain't joking. Massive fellow.

Also, he really does look like Cecil Fielder in his shape and running style. 12-years old? Well, Dad Carlos looked 30 when he arrived on campus, and he was only 17.

Furniture
06-29-2019, 12:20 PM
So with the Warriors extending a qualifying offer to Quinn what will/could his salary be?

sagegrouse
06-29-2019, 12:52 PM
So with the Warriors extending a qualifying offer to Quinn what will/could his salary be?

Here's a quote from one article -- "fair use" only, of course:

The Warriors have issued a qualifying offer to point guard Quinn Cook, thus making him a restricted free agent, tweets Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes.

Golden State wields Cook’s Early Bird rights with his cap hold being $1,931,189. Cook becomes the second Warriors player in as many days to enter restricted free agency as Golden State also issued a qualifying offer to Jordan Bell.
Does a "qualifying offer" mean that Quinn gets at least that amount, or is this just another procedural hurdle guaranteeing nothing?

awhom111
06-29-2019, 12:53 PM

His qualifying offer is $1,931,189 so presumably at least that much.

sagegrouse
06-29-2019, 01:41 PM
Here's a quote from one article -- "fair use" only, of course:

Does a "qualifying offer" mean that Quinn gets at least that amount, or is this just another procedural hurdle guaranteeing nothing?

His qualifying offer is $1,931,189 so presumably at least that much.

Here's more from NBA.com:

Qualifying offers

For a player to become a restricted free agent, his team must submit a qualifying offer to the player between the day after the last game of The Finals and June 29.

The qualifying offer is a standing offer for a one-year guaranteed deal, which becomes a regular contact if the player decides to sign it. This ensures that the team does not gain the right of first refusal without offering a contract themselves.

If a player is coming off a regular (non-Two-Way deal), he may qualify for a higher or lower qualifying offer provided he met (or did not meet) the "starter criteria" the previous season -- or the average of the previous two seasons. Starter criteria are based on starting at least 41 games or playing at least 2,000 minutes in the regular season.

Qualifying offers expire on Oct. 1, but can be extended. However, the extension of a qualifying offer cannot go past March 1. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, the player continues to be a restricted free agent. Teams and players are free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer expires as the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept his qualifying offer.

Players can always accept the qualifying offer and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done to ensure unrestricted free agency in the following offseason.

If Quinn signs the qualifying offer, it appears to be a guarantee of $1.9 million for the coming season. If he doesn't, anything is possible, including cancellation -- but the chief implication is that the Warriors have the right to match any other offer he receives.

Furniture
06-29-2019, 03:18 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/vernoncarey22/status/1144931055272677376

Goodness.

JetpackJesus
06-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Just got an alert from ESPN on my phone saying the Knicks waived Lance Thomas.

Furniture
06-29-2019, 11:50 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1144260098837176320?

some of you get upset with news about Semi but what the heck.
The Celtics fully guaranteed Ojeleye’s contract for the 2019-20 season last Thursday,

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-30-2019, 12:34 PM

The Celtics fully guaranteed Ojeleye’s contract for the 2019-20 season last Thursday,

Is that true? I've not seen people here get upset with Ojeleye mentions. Maybe more like Semi-irked.

sagegrouse
06-30-2019, 12:38 PM
Is that true? I've not seen people here get upset with Ojeleye mentions. Maybe more like Semi-irked.

I think people here are mostly OK with Semi -- he admitted his actions were immature, or at least, he didn't realize how much work he needed to do to succeed at Duke.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-30-2019, 12:52 PM
I think people here are mostly OK with Semi -- he admitted his actions were immature, or at least, he didn't realize how much work he needed to do to succeed at Duke.

I would say Rasheed is more polarizing here, as far as transfers go.

brevity
06-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Woj Bomb!

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145451952966381569) @wojespn

Free agent guard JJ Redick has agreed to a two-year, $26.5M deal to join the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources tell ESPN.

5:00 PM · Jun 30, 2019

arnie
06-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Woj Bomb!

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145451952966381569) @wojespn

Free agent guard JJ Redick has agreed to a two-year, $26.5M deal to join the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources tell ESPN.

Wow! Jackson and Redick in backcourt, Ingram at small forward, Jah at center and Zion off the bench😏

JetpackJesus
06-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Woj Bomb!

This super confirms the Pelicans as my new favorite team.

BD80
06-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Wow! Jackson and Redick in backcourt, Ingram at small forward, Jah at center and Zion off the bench😏

Missing a Ball?

cspan37421
06-30-2019, 06:34 PM

sounds like he's reached a Semi-charmed kind of life.

brevity
06-30-2019, 06:52 PM
Another Woj Bomb!

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145462545085554690) @wojespn

Free agent F Rodney Hood has agreed to a two-year, $16M deal to return to the Portland Trail Blazers, CAA agents Ty Sullivan and Austin Brown tell ESPN. Deal includes a player option.

5:42 PM · Jun 30, 2019

BlueHoo
06-30-2019, 08:20 PM
With Brandon Ingram, Ja, JJ, Frank J and Z, it could be possible that the Pelicans (Duke South) could field an all Duke team on the court. I’m curious, is anyone aware of other occasions whereby an NBA team has fielded a team comprising players solely from one college? Maybe UCLA from
Wooden era?

Furniture
06-30-2019, 08:57 PM
This super confirms the Pelicans as my new favorite team.

Me2!

Furniture
06-30-2019, 09:26 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1145370552653271044?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1145370552653271044&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dukechronicle.com%2Farti cle%2F2019%2F06%2Fduke-mens-basketball-nba-free-agency-kyrie-irving

Apparently Washington Wizards, Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, Miami Heat, Charlotte Hornets, Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks are all interested in Quinn.

budwom
07-01-2019, 07:06 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1145370552653271044?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1145370552653271044&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dukechronicle.com%2Farti cle%2F2019%2F06%2Fduke-mens-basketball-nba-free-agency-kyrie-irving

Apparently Washington Wizards, Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, Miami Heat, Charlotte Hornets, Brooklyn Nets and Dallas Mavericks are all interested in Quinn.

I hope Quinn gets great offers and then the Warriors match it....he's a great fit there, doesn't have to carry the team....but I guess if he gets a long term deal, any place would be OK...

Matches
07-01-2019, 08:44 AM
With Brandon Ingram, Ja, JJ, Frank J and Z, it could be possible that the Pelicans (Duke South) could field an all Duke team on the court. I’m curious, is anyone aware of other occasions whereby an NBA team has fielded a team comprising players solely from one college? Maybe UCLA from
Wooden era?

With the Pels picking up Derrick Favors, I wonder if Okafor could be on the move. His game doesn't really fit the style they seem to want to play, but he's got a very affordable (re: tradeable) contract.

brevity
07-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Woj never sleeps!

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145730327492681728) @wojespn

Guard Seth Curry has reached an agreement with Dallas, league source tells ESPN.

11:23 AM · Jul 1, 2019

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145730327492681728) @wojespn

Curry deal: Four years, $32M, agent Alex Saratsis tells ESPN.

11:26 AM · Jul 1, 2019

bundabergdevil
07-01-2019, 12:43 PM
JJ's latest podcast went up a few days ago (https://www.theringer.com/the-jj-redick-podcast). It's an interview with Zach Lowe and they talk a good bit about free agency. The interview takes place a few days before the official start --- it's a fun listen. They both clearly have inside info but as JJ says "he's legally obligated not to break any news" so they dance around it a bit.

tbyers11
07-01-2019, 01:00 PM
JJ's latest podcast went up a few days ago (https://www.theringer.com/the-jj-redick-podcast). It's an interview with Zach Lowe and they talk a good bit about free agency. The interview takes place a few days before the official start --- it's a fun listen. They both clearly have inside info but as JJ says "he's legally obligated not to break any news" so they dance around it a bit.

Listened to that podcast. Very good podcast. Definitely went out of their way not to tip off anything. When Zach Lowe gives Vucevic re-signing with Orlando as his "scoop" you knew their hands and tongues were tied.

Did find it interesting that Lowe and JJ were discussing an item related to the 76ers and JJ said, "something, something would affect us" and he stopped and changed his statement to "would affect the 76ers". I had a feeling he was going elsewhere. Wouldn't have guessed New Orleans as his landing spot and definitely wouldn't have guessed that the primary reason that Philly couldn't bring him back was due to signing Horford.

budwom
07-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Listened to that podcast. Very good podcast. At one point, Lowe and JJ were discussing something related to the 76ers and JJ said, "something, something would affect us" and he stopped and changed his statement to "would affect the 76ers". I had a feeling he was going elsewhere.

Wouldn't have guessed New Orleans as his landing spot and definitely wouldn't have guessed that the primary reason that Philly couldn't bring him back was due to signing Horford.

Giving Harris $36million annually could not have helped, either. Horford is a terrific player, but I'm not sure how he and Embid will mesh.

brevity
07-01-2019, 01:06 PM
And now this:

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145738346368516096) @wojespn

Free agent guard Austin Rivers has agreed to a two-year deal to return to the Houston Rockets, league source tells ESPN.

11:58 AM · Jul 1, 2019

sagegrouse
07-01-2019, 01:10 PM
And now this:

Adrian Wojnarowski (https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145738346368516096) @wojespn

Free agent guard Austin Rivers has agreed to a two-year deal to return to the Houston Rockets, league source tells ESPN.

11:58 AM · Jul 1, 2019

He has been making $12 million per year. We'll see what this contract is worth. BTW, I was impressed with Austin's late-season performance at Houston.

Furniture
07-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Woj never sleeps!

Guard Seth Curry has reached an agreement with Dallas, league source tells ESPN.

11:23 AM · Jul 1, 2019

Curry deal: Four years, $32M, agent Alex Saratsis tells ESPN.

11:26 AM · Jul 1, 2019

Great news!!

brevity
07-01-2019, 07:05 PM
This is nice: the Duke Chronicle has a free agency tracker (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/06/duke-mens-basketball-nba-free-agency-kyrie-irving) for former Duke players in the NBA.

He has been making $12 million per year. We'll see what this contract is worth. BTW, I was impressed with Austin's late-season performance at Houston.

Jonathan Feigen of the Chronicle (the Houston one) is reporting (https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-bring-back-Austin-Rivers-on-two-year-deal-14064090.php) that Austin will make a lot less:

Rivers will sign a two-year contract, with the second season on a player option. The first year is for $2.17 million, which is the minimum for a seven-year NBA veteran.

I guess this makes him more of a free agent player in 2020? I'm not sure.

In the meantime, let me point out that every team in the Southwest Division except the Spurs has a Duke player on the roster.

GRIZZLIES: Grayson Allen
MAVERICKS: Seth Curry
PELICANS: JJ Redick, Jahlil Okafor, Brandon Ingram, Frank Jackson, Zion Williamson
ROCKETS: Austin Rivers (and Trevon Duval in Summer League)

BigZ
07-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Zion ain’t coming off the bench

cspan37421
07-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Zion ain’t coming off the bench

Why, did Stan Van Gundy suddenly become the coach?

;)

Just kidding, and remembering JJ's early years under that guy. I know JJ has fond words for him now, but as a fan, it was tough to watch him ride the pine.

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2019, 10:30 PM
Just kidding, and remembering JJ's early years under that guy. I know JJ has fond words for him now, but as a fan, it was tough to watch him ride the pine.

Pretty cool to look back at those days now. I truly believe that JJ would not have had the career and the choices he's had if it weren't for SVG. JJ could shoot, but he sucked at D. I've never seen a player make such a change as Redick did. He became fun to watch, not because he was scoring, but because he was a relentless nuisance to anyone he was assigned to guard.

Van Gundy made that happen.

Furniture
07-02-2019, 10:07 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/1146184608976912385

Zion giving some brotherhood love to Frank J.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Quinn Cook started following Lebron on social media. Place your bets.

Furniture
07-02-2019, 10:42 PM
You guys have to help me here but here is the original list of those in doubt.

These are the guys that are all set.

Seth Curry
Rodney Hood
Kyrie Irving
Tyus Jones
Semi Ojeleye

Still in doubt.

Quinn Cook
Luol Deng
Frank Jackson,
Jabari Parker,
Amile Jefferson.

I might be wrong.

JetpackJesus
07-02-2019, 11:37 PM

These are the guys that are all set.

Seth Curry
Rodney Hood
Kyrie Irving
Tyus Jones
Semi Ojeleye

Still in doubt.

Quinn Cook
Luol Deng
Frank Jackson,
Jabari Parker,
Amile Jefferson.

I might be wrong.

I think you need to add Lance Thomas to the "in doubt" list since the Knicks waived him since you first posted the lists.

JJ and Austin are "all set" with NOLA and HOU, respectively.

EDIT: Also, I believe Frank's contract is fully guaranteed for next season with NOLA.

Furniture
07-02-2019, 11:55 PM
I think you need to add Lance Thomas to the "in doubt" list since the Knicks waived him since you first posted the lists.

JJ and Austin are "all set" with NOLA and HOU, respectively.

EDIT: Also, I believe Frank's contract is fully guaranteed for next season with NOLA.

Good point about Lance. Not sure about Frank though. Maybe someone else can confirm?

brevity
07-03-2019, 12:33 AM

Good point about Lance. Not sure about Frank though. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Keith Smith tweet (https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1145354534111404036) from June 30: "One deadline to watch today: Frank Jackson's $1,618,520 contract will become fully guaranteed with the New Orleans Pelicans if he's not waived today. Jackson already has a guarantee of $506,143. Jackson is not expected to be waived, as the Pelicans like his upside as a backup PG."

These team option decisions get underreported, and we may know nothing until an official regular season team roster comes out. Speaking of which, how is Tyus Jones' contract situation settled? I didn't see anything new about him.

awhom111
07-03-2019, 01:20 AM
Keith Smith tweet (https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1145354534111404036) from June 30: "One deadline to watch today: Frank Jackson's $1,618,520 contract will become fully guaranteed with the New Orleans Pelicans if he's not waived today. Jackson already has a guarantee of $506,143. Jackson is not expected to be waived, as the Pelicans like his upside as a backup PG."

These team option decisions get underreported, and we may know nothing until an official regular season team roster comes out. Speaking of which, how is Tyus Jones' contract situation settled? I didn't see anything new about him.

After the initial rush of free agency we should get those. You also have to know which media people care about these little roster things and minor signings. Keith Smith and Eric Pincus are the two to pay attention to for these deadlines and decisions. They are also two of the people who are very precise with their terminology, which is helpful when understanding the different nuances of contracts.

The restricted free agent market has been very dry, which is not helping Tyus that much. With Rose leaving and the team apparently still trying to get rid of Teague at some point, they probably need him until they can trade for Russell or something else. Since he's a hometown kid and generally productive, I could see them agree to a long term contract that's not huge money, but still rewarding. If he feels doubts about their interest in him long term, he could sign the qualifying offer, but that's been a move that hasn't paid off very much recently. The number of teams that can give him an offer better than the qualifying offer is shrinking rapidly.

JetpackJesus
07-03-2019, 03:42 AM

Sorry, all, I should have linked to the June 29 Rotoworld story that was the basis of my comment about Frank being fully guaranteed. I was overly hasty in my editing. I usually try to source things that aren't blatantly obvious.

Edit: I failed again due to mobile, I think.

JasonEvans
07-03-2019, 07:54 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/PelicansNBA/status/1146184608976912385

Zion giving some brotherhood love to Frank J.

WojESPN tweeted "Unfollow" on that post. Guess he is not a Duke fan.

Furniture
07-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Somehow I get the feeling that Frank is a somewhat reluctant member of the brotherhood too.

tbyers11
07-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Jason, that was not the real Woj :D

Billy Dat
07-03-2019, 09:36 AM

He's definitely not a Coach K fan, although he used to be. Something went down between those two, Polish Civil War.

jgehtland
07-03-2019, 10:15 AM

That's actually @WojjEPNS, "Not Adrian Wojnarowksi".

Furniture
07-03-2019, 11:16 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1146435505615187968

Heading to Memphis to play with Grayson?

budwom
07-03-2019, 12:06 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1146435505615187968

Heading to Memphis to play with Grayson?

Almost a perfect mathematical swap of abundantly overpaid players...Chandler's 7.5 points per game will cost you $25 million, or for half that, you can have Miles' 4.4 pts (at $12.5 million). Who says the universe doesn't love symmetry?

fraggler
07-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Looks like Quinn Cook is now a free agent: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1146404399008362496
Crossing my fingers he gets picked up by a good team.

budwom
07-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Looks like Quinn Cook is now a free agent: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1146404399008362496
Crossing my fingers he gets picked up by a good team.

oooh...I was kind of hoping he's stay where he was in a comfortable role....wonder what he thinks he can get elsewhere?

JasonEvans
07-03-2019, 12:55 PM
That's actually @WojjEPNS, "Not Adrian Wojnarowksi".

Someone un-spork me for being an idiot. Sorry.

devildeac
07-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Someone un-spork me for being an idiot. Sorry.

;)

tbyers11
07-03-2019, 01:09 PM
oooh...I was kind of hoping he's stay where he was in a comfortable role...wonder what he thinks he can get elsewhere?

Not Quinn's choice. GSW needed to rescind his $1.9M qualifying offer to make their hard cap math gymnastics work.

After the DeAngelo Russell singing it was pretty much decided for salary cap reasons that Quinn wouldn't be back (even if Quinn wanted to).

I imagine he will get at least the $1.9M he was due from the GSW contract. Minimum salary for 3yr experience is ~$1.7M so that is worst case.

Quinn to Lakers rumors are strong. I've also seen Quinn to ATL (need a backup PG) and Quinn to BKN (friends with KD and Kyrie).

Personally, I am actually more interested in where Quinn ends up than Kawhi :D

JasonEvans
07-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Quinn to Lakers rumors are strong. I've also seen Quinn to ATL (need a backup PG) and Quinn to BKN (friends with KD and Kyrie).

Once the Lakers/Clippers know where Kawhi is going, one of them will have cap space. Tyus and Quinn are both looking for a team with space who has minutes to give to a PG. Tyus probably hopes to be a starter or at least share minutes with someone. Quinn is certainly looking for a backup role. The Hawks would be an option, though the PG minutes would be pretty limited in Atlanta as Trae is gonna play 35+ minutes per game, I suspect.

-Jason "I wonder how much space is left around the league right now... time to do some digging" Evans

JasonEvans
07-03-2019, 01:57 PM
-Jason "I wonder how much space is left around the league right now... time to do some digging" Evans

So, it isn't easy to figure out because teams have cap holds for free agents who have not been re-signed or renounced yet. For example, the Clippers have a $14 mil cap hold on JaMychal Green. I am sure they would like to bring him back, though likely at considerably less than $14 mil. It is also possible he will sign elsewhere. But, until he signs with someone or the Clippers renounce their bird rights to him, he is technically part of the Clippers cap.

So, with that said, here are the teams that appear to me to be under the cap at the moment (without consideration of cap holds):

Lakers - $35 mil
Clippers - $32 mil
Hawks - $21 mil
Suns - $8 mil
Pacers - $8 mil
Knicks - $4 mil
Mavs - $4 mil

Now, teams can still clear space by waiving guys who are non-guaranteed, agreeing to buyouts, making trades using trade exceptions that free up extra space, and other tricks. But, the reality is that there isn't a ton of space out there right now.

Once the Lakers and Clippers have figured out the Kawhi thing, one of them figures to be a spender. I would expect the loser in the Kawhi race to go after Boogie and/or Marcus Morris, who look like the two best free agents out there right now who are not a multi-time finals MVP. Danny Green is also likely to find someone willing to pay him a bit, though the talk is that he wants to go with Kawhi seeing as they have been teammates for 8 years (Kawhi's entire time in the league).

-Jason "Quinn, with his shootings, would fit nicely on Lakers... Tyus, with his D and ballhandling, would fit nicely on Clippers" Evans

tbyers11
07-03-2019, 02:00 PM
Once the Lakers/Clippers know where Kawhi is going, one of them will have cap space. Tyus and Quinn are both looking for a team with space who has minutes to give to a PG. Tyus probably hopes to be a starter or at least share minutes with someone. Quinn is certainly looking for a backup role. The Hawks would be an option, though the PG minutes would be pretty limited in Atlanta as Trae is gonna play 35+ minutes per game, I suspect.

You are correct sir.

As of yesterday morning (https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/1146053335213981698) there were only 4 teams with more than $10M cap space left

Dallas used ~$3.5M of that on Boban Marjanovic's 2 yr/$7M deal. So if Quinn or Tyus want to get paid a nice contract they are limited pretty much to whichever LA team doesn't get Kawhi, ATL or DAL. Also MIN can match what ever offer Tyus might get. I think they will unless Lakers/Clippers come strong after they lose Kawhi.

jimsumner
07-03-2019, 02:44 PM
After the DeAngelo Russell singing it was pretty much decided for salary cap reasons that Quinn wouldn't be back (even if Quinn wanted to).

D

For the record, I also have mixed-up singing and signing. But this brings back images of old NFL initiations in which rookies were required to sing their school's fight song or some such.

Or maybe Russell is a great singer. :)

tbyers11
07-03-2019, 04:04 PM
For the record, I also have mixed-up singing and signing. But this brings back images of old NFL initiations in which rookies were required to sing their school's fight song or some such.

Or maybe Russell is a great singer. :)

Hah. Good catch.

A quick Google search shows that D'Angelo Russell is NOT a good singer

https://youtu.be/lAnuQyGXZJg

Furniture
07-04-2019, 12:09 AM
https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/01/nba-jabari-parker-pride-float-new-york-city/?fbclid=IwAR1-Ic_GYlUOHzKtTCJmuCEstite46s9D0ZAJXwcou7ditZlp5OOyP GqmC8

JetpackJesus
07-04-2019, 02:46 AM
https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/01/nba-jabari-parker-pride-float-new-york-city/?fbclid=IwAR1-Ic_GYlUOHzKtTCJmuCEstite46s9D0ZAJXwcou7ditZlp5OOyP GqmC8

Me, too. Can't spork, but thanks for sharing!

johnb
07-04-2019, 07:04 AM
JJ is one of the most disciplined athletes in the league, and Zion may be the most inclusive of his teammates. Both of these qualities can only help the rest of the Duke guys on the team.

I’ve never watched any part of a Pelican game on tv, but that’ll soon change.

budwom
07-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Not Quinn's choice. GSW needed to rescind his $1.9M qualifying offer to make their hard cap math gymnastics work.

I imagine he will get at least the $1.9M he was due from the GSW contract. Minimum salary for 3yr experience is ~$1.7M so that is worst case.

Personally, I am actually more interested in where Quinn ends up than Kawhi :D

Good info...so here's a question...when the qualifying offer was still on the table, Cook presumably could have accepted it before it was rescinded? I guess I can see his reasoning IF (and only if) he was confident he could make more elsewhere...he does has value, though not as a starter I would imagine...the music is beginning to wind down and hopefully he gets a decent chair.

CDu
07-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Good info...so here's a question...when the qualifying offer was still on the table, Cook presumably could have accepted it before it was rescinded? I guess I can see his reasoning IF (and only if) he was confident he could make more elsewhere...he does has value, though not as a starter I would imagine...the music is beginning to wind down and hopefully he gets a decent chair.

Yes, Cook could have accepted it. But generally the qualifying offer - when extended - is thought to be below the player’s true value. Usually either another team makes a higher offer (at which time the team either matches or let’s him walk) or the player negotiates a better long-term deal with the team. Accepting the qualifying offer is usually a last resort.

CDu
07-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Wendell Carter with some unfortunate news. Requiring surgery to repair a core muscle tear. The surgery and rehab will force him out of Summer League action but should hopefully not cause him to miss any training camp time. Still, bad break for a kid looking to make a big jump this summer to a prominent role in his second season.

tbyers11
07-04-2019, 08:42 AM

Technically Quinn could have accepted immediately, but I don't think that was in Quinn's best interest (worth more $$$) or in GSW's best interest (they wanted to see how all the pieces fell). This article (https://www.nba.com/article/2019/07/01/guide-qualifying-offers-options-2019) states that GSW could have pulled the offer at anytime. I don't think GSW was going to sign it until all the free agency moves were official on July 6th.

The qualifying offer is binding as a one-year contract. If the player signs it, he's under contract for next season. He could also sign an offer sheet from another team (which his team would have the ability to match), and he and his team could agree on a new, multi-year contract. The team also has the ability to rescind the qualifying offer going forward (the list below is as of June 30.)

That being said because GSW made the qualifying offer I think they wanted to keep Quinn IF it worked out. I thought (and still hope) that Quinn's market value is 2-3 yr contract worth $3-4M/yr. There appeared to be a good chance that GSW would have the $$$ to match that type of offer if KD went elsewhere. UNTIL they made the DeAngelo Russell trade and the math became difficult for the Warriors. As I understand cap math, after making the Russell deal, GSW couldn't sign Quinn to the $1.9M offer because they were over the cap. They could only re-sign him if they released him and signed him to a vet min deal (which would $1.7M/yr for a 3 year vet like Quinn). They have now removed the offer and Quinn is an unrestricted free agent.

Hopefully he gets a ~$3M multi-year contract with a team who has $$$ (or trade exceptions left) after the Kawhi dominoes fall. It just can't be GSW.

budwom
07-04-2019, 10:32 AM
ESPN was abuzz last night that Kawhi had flown to Toronto....could be he's staying put in T.O. (did the Raptors throw in Manitoba to go along with Saskatchewan) or is Canadian politeness contagious and Kawhi wants to tell the Rapturous he's leaving in person?

arnie
07-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Technically Quinn could have accepted immediately, but I don't think that was in Quinn's best interest (worth more $$$) or in GSW's best interest (they wanted to see how all the pieces fell). This article (https://www.nba.com/article/2019/07/01/guide-qualifying-offers-options-2019) states that GSW could have pulled the offer at anytime. I don't think GSW was going to sign it until all the free agency moves were official on July 6th.

That being said because GSW made the qualifying offer I think they wanted to keep Quinn IF it worked out. I thought (and still hope) that Quinn's market value is 2-3 yr contract worth $3-4M/yr. There appeared to be a good chance that GSW would have the $$$ to match that type of offer if KD went elsewhere. UNTIL they made the DeAngelo Russell trade and the math became difficult for the Warriors. As I understand cap math, after making the Russell deal, GSW couldn't sign Quinn to the $1.9M offer because they were over the cap. They could only re-sign him if they released him and signed him to a vet min deal (which would $1.7M/yr for a 3 year vet like Quinn). They have now removed the offer and Quinn is an unrestricted free agent.

Hopefully he gets a ~$3M multi-year contract with a team who has $$$ (or trade exceptions left) after the Kawhi dominoes fall. It just can't be GSW.

Quinn took a gamble and hope it works. When I’ve watched him with GS, he’s played OK, but is certainly shorter than everyone else, plays small and isn’t that comfortable penetrating. Even though he’s likely a great teammate, not sure how many teams think he has NBA talent. If he can land a multi-year contract, I think he’s exceeded most expectations.

scottdude8
07-04-2019, 10:58 AM
ESPN was abuzz last night that Kawhi had flown to Toronto...could be he's staying put in T.O. (did the Raptors throw in Manitoba to go along with Saskatchewan) or is Canadian politeness contagious and Kawhi wants to tell the Rapturous he's leaving in person?

Dude, the coverage of Kawhi in Toronto is INSANE. They had traffic helicopters following his car like it was a high-speed chase. People were standing outside the hotel there was a RUMOR the meeting might take place all day yesterday. Toronto is all in on Kawhi.

Side note, the "reporting" on Kawhi is hillarious. Two days ago the headline was "Lakers are very confident they'll get Kawhi". Yesterday Masai Ujiri made comments after the meeting that made it seem like Kawhi had all but committed to Toronto. Today there are dueling reports... Jalen Rose said he's "99% confident" (source? Who cares, it's ESPN's morning show! haha) Kawhi will end up in Toronto on a two year deal, while The Athletic is reporting he's not discussing any two year deals.

Love him or hate him, Kawhi is a different dude, and is handling this decision much differently than any other modern NBA star. I love it.

BTW, links to some of these rumors can be found here (https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/03/nba-free-agency-rumors-news-trades-kawhi-leonard-lakers).

scottdude8
07-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Man, as a Pistons fan I wish Quinn was available earlier... I'd MUCH rather invest in him as our backup point guard than Derrick Rose. Not only would he be cheaper, but he obviously doesn't have the baggage of Rose (I don't think I could ever root for a guy with the allegations that Rose has), and plus at his age Quinn actually has upside. With Reggie Jackson likely out the door after this year it'd be smart to get Quinn on a cheap two/three year deal, have him back up Reggie, and see if he's maybe a longer term solution. Darn the timing!

budwom
07-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Dude, the coverage of Kawhi in Toronto is INSANE. They had traffic helicopters following his car like it was a high-speed chase. People were standing outside the hotel there was a RUMOR the meeting might take place all day yesterday. Toronto is all in on Kawhi.

Side note, the "reporting" on Kawhi is hillarious. Two days ago the headline was "Lakers are very confident they'll get Kawhi". Yesterday Masai Ujiri made comments after the meeting that made it seem like Kawhi had all but committed to Toronto. Today there are dueling reports... Jalen Rose said he's "99% confident" (source? Who cares, it's ESPN's morning show! haha) Kawhi will end up in Toronto on a two year deal, while The Athletic is reporting he's not discussing any two year deals.

Love him or hate him, Kawhi is a different dude, and is handling this decision much differently than any other modern NBA star. I love it.

BTW, links to some of these rumors can be found here (https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/03/nba-free-agency-rumors-news-trades-kawhi-leonard-lakers).

Yeah, I was watching some of the action yesterday. To his credit, Kawhi (on many occasions in fact) says nothing....right now he's plugged up the entire NBA it would seem. Apres Moi Le Deluge?

Furniture
07-04-2019, 08:13 PM
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/source-knicks-considering-bringing-back-lance-thomas-to-fill-out-roster/308730854

budwom
07-05-2019, 07:08 AM
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/source-knicks-considering-bringing-back-lance-thomas-to-fill-out-roster/308730854

Good for Lance..."if they can agree on terms." With the musical chairs winding down, it might behoove Lance to agree to terms as NY (mess that it is) has been a nice fit for him.

CameronBornAndBred
07-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Bleacher Report has a post up on their look at "The Top 25 Free Agents" left available. Lance is on the very outside looking in, given a last name listing in the Honorable Mention column.

Quinn, however, comes in at 13.

Microwave scorers are not created equally. Many are genuinely talented. Others get by on irrational confidence alone. A few are effective in deliberate doses but are yet-to-be-determined assets when weighed against larger roles.

Quinn Cook, now an unrestricted free agent after the Warriors rescinded his qualifying offer, is a mix of everything—not quite known but also not unexplored. He is definitely a notch above the cookie-cutter critiques.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844251-2019-nba-free-agency-big-board-top-25-players-still-available-entering-day-6?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide14

JasonEvans
07-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Bleacher Report has a post up on their look at "The Top 25 Free Agents" left available. Lance is on the very outside looking in, given a last name listing in the Honorable Mention column.

Quinn, however, comes in at 13.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844251-2019-nba-free-agency-big-board-top-25-players-still-available-entering-day-6?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide14

Tyus checks in at #9 and BR says it expects him to remain in Minnesota.

nmduke2001
07-06-2019, 10:10 AM
2 years $6 million.

curtis325
07-06-2019, 10:54 AM
2 years $6 million.

Next best thing to Kawhi.

Furniture
07-06-2019, 11:11 AM
2 years $6 million.

Thats going to be a fun watch!!

cspan37421
07-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Can't root for Team Fizzle now. Will glad to be wrong if QC can be the straw that stirs the drink.

Still, he's going to have to navigate a high drama situation.

sagegrouse
07-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Can't root for Team Fizzle now. Will glad to be wrong if QC can be the straw that stirs the drink.

I dunno, guys and gals. Suddenly it's 1969 again. But instead of Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West for the Lakers we have Lebron James, Anthony Davis and Quinn Cook.

arnie
07-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Bet thats why they took him, he’s a team guy and has the 4-year college maturity.

-jk
07-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Bet thats why they took him, he’s a team guy and has the 4-year college maturity.

That, and LeBron always does better with a Dukie on his team...

-jk

BD80
07-06-2019, 12:33 PM
I dunno, guys and gals. Suddenly it's 1969 again. But instead of Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West for the Lakers we have Lebron James, Anthony Davis and Quinn Cook.

Apt comparisons all!

Furniture
07-06-2019, 08:56 PM

Quinn Cook, signed for The Lakers
Seth Curry, Signed for The Mavericks
Luol Deng, Minnesota Timberwolves: Free agent.No news.
Rodney Hood, Re-Signed for the Trailblazers.
Kyrie Irving, Nets.
Tyus Jones, Minnesota Timberwolves: Qualifying offer 3.8 MUSD. Situation not clear.
Semi Ojeleye, Boston Celtics: 2019/20 reportedly guaranteed.
Frank Jackson, New Orleans Pelicans: eligible for an extension July 9 [surely that’s a no brainer]
Jabari Parker, Washington Wizards: He will probably not be at the Wizards. No news.
J.J. Redick, New Orleans
Austin Rivers, signed for Houston Rockets
Amile Jefferson, Magic: Restricted free agent. No news.
Lance Thomas. Let go by the Knicks. No news except rumors he might be back.
Trevon Duval. Summer League with Houston.

bundabergdevil
07-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Class move by JJ to take out a full page ad in the Inquirer to thank Philly (https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/07/jj-redick-thanks-sixers-fans-with-full-page-ad-in-inquirer/). I know he really enjoyed playing here but was happy to see him get a 2-year contract in NO. He'll be a valuable addition down there --- just hope he's able to get home to Brooklyn once in a while.

Furniture
07-08-2019, 12:06 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1148075342218682368

https://mobile.twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1148077062441189376?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

28 million for 3 years.

Furniture
07-08-2019, 12:10 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1148074599315398657

brevity
07-08-2019, 01:22 AM
Tyus on the move to play with Grayson.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1148075342218682368

https://mobile.twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1148077062441189376

28 million for 3 years.

"Tyus on the move"? Not necessarily. He is a restricted free agent. The full Malika Andrews article on ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27143939/tyus-jones-grizzlies-agree-28m-offer-sheet) points out: "The Minnesota Timberwolves will have two days to match the offer sheet or Jones will be a member of the Grizzlies."

Furniture
07-08-2019, 12:05 PM
"Tyus on the move"? Not necessarily. He is a restricted free agent. The full Malika Andrews article on ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27143939/tyus-jones-grizzlies-agree-28m-offer-sheet) points out: "The Minnesota Timberwolves will have two days to match the offer sheet or Jones will be a member of the Grizzlies."

Yes I should have put a ? after it as you have done. Anyway nice payday for Tyus either way! Awesome for him!

JasonEvans
07-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Word on the street is that Jabari Parker is signing with the Hawks for 2 years $13 mil. The second year is a player's option.

I can't even tell you how much I hate this deal. Parker is an inefficient scorer who does not seem to play very hard on D. If he plays well for the Hawks, he can opt out and become a free agent. Put another way -- the only way he gets to use $7+ mil of the Hawks 2020-21 cap space is if he sucks so bad that no one else wants to pay him.

-Jason "I generally trust everything Travis Schlenk has done with the Hawks lately... this and (to a much lesser extent) the king's ransom we gave up for De'Andre Hunter both have me confused" Evans

superdave
07-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Word on the street is that Jabari Parker is signing with the Hawks for 2 years $13 mil. The second year is a player's option.

I can't even tell you how much I hate this deal. Parker is an inefficient scorer who does not seem to play very hard on D. If he plays well for the Hawks, he can opt out and become a free agent. Put another way -- the only way he gets to use $7+ mil of the Hawks 2020-21 cap space is if he sucks so bad that no one else wants to pay him.

-Jason "I generally trust everything Travis Schlenk has done with the Hawks lately... this and (to a much lesser extent) the king's ransom we gave up for De'Andre Hunter both have me confused" Evans

Yeah, bad deal. I would maybe use cap filler for Jabari for a year. But unless he gets a work ethic, not thank you.

Okafor kinda has a similar first couple of seasons but seems to have flipped the switch. I hope Jabari figures it out too.

JasonEvans
07-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Yeah, bad deal. I would maybe use cap filler for Jabari for a year. But unless he gets a work ethic, not thank you.

Okafor kinda has a similar first couple of seasons but seems to have flipped the switch. I hope Jabari figures it out too.

Jabari will almost certainly be a backup PF for Atlanta, spelling John Collins. There's no way he gets anything more than minimal minutes on the wing with Hunter and Reddish both needing time there. The Hawks also have promising big man Omari Spellman, who showed flashes of being good last year, but I suspect they seem him more as a small-ball 5 than as a PF. Still, Spellman could suck up some PF minutes.

I suspect Jabari will average less than 20 mpg next season for Atlanta. Why are we giving him $13 million?!?!

UrinalCake
07-08-2019, 01:40 PM
I think you guys are selling Jabari short, he’s had a rough few years between injuries and the dumb comments he made publicly, but he still has the potential to be a go-to scorer and is still fairly young. To get a bench guy/borderline starter with some upside for $6.5 million per year is a decent gamble IMO. I’m surprised they gave him the player option but even in the worst case scenario he’ll be off the books in two years when the next big free agent class becomes available.

COYS
07-08-2019, 02:29 PM
I think you guys are selling Jabari short, he’s had a rough few years between injuries and the dumb comments he made publicly, but he still has the potential to be a go-to scorer and is still fairly young. To get a bench guy/borderline starter with some upside for $6.5 million per year is a decent gamble IMO. I’m surprised they gave him the player option but even in the worst case scenario he’ll be off the books in two years when the next big free agent class becomes available.

Another Hawks fan here, chiming in. I think it's really the player option that is throwing Hawks fans for a loop. While ATL has bigger needs than an offense-first backup PF (I have a lot of faith in our young players on offense, but we need defenders), gambling on Jabari one a one year deal to be fully healthy and maybe a little hungry to rehabilitate his career is not a bad move, at all. If he plays well and the team still isn't great, the Hawks can try to deal him for some more assets at the deadline while making the on-court product a little more fun while he's playing. Alternatively, he could play well on offense, the Hawks can keep him all year, the team can go all season losing games 125-135, and then we get another shot at the top of the lottery to add a big piece when the team should be ready to start contending.

Adding the player option seems really risky, to me. There is a good chance he won't get any better offers unless he makes DRAMATIC improvements to his game. Meanwhile, the Hawks have set themselves up to have insane amounts of cap space available in the upcoming seasons. While ATL has not been a free agent destination in the past, I cling to the hope that this can change . . . especially if Young and Collins continue to dazzle. The last thing I want is $6.5 Million owed to Jabari to somehow eliminate the possibility of adding multiple max players next offseason. And while it doesn't currently look like next year's crop of NBA free agents will be particularly exciting save for Anthony Davis, you never know what the landscape will look like.

It's not the worst deal in the world. But I'm still not a fan. That said, I hope Jabari kills it and lands a bigger deal next offseason. I'd love to see him succeed. And I'm going to enjoy watching him suit up for "my" team again.

Richard Berg
07-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Class move by JJ to take out a full page ad in the Inquirer to thank Philly (https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/07/jj-redick-thanks-sixers-fans-with-full-page-ad-in-inquirer/). I know he really enjoyed playing here but was happy to see him get a 2-year contract in NO. He'll be a valuable addition down there --- just hope he's able to get home to Brooklyn once in a while.
His family may not be getting the warm Brooklyn Heights welcome they were accustomed to last year: https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/grace-church-school-brooklyn.html

budwom
07-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Jabari will almost certainly be a backup PF for Atlanta, spelling John Collins. There's no way he gets anything more than minimal minutes on the wing with Hunter and Reddish both needing time there. The Hawks also have promising big man Omari Spellman, who showed flashes of being good last year, but I suspect they seem him more as a small-ball 5 than as a PF. Still, Spellman could suck up some PF minutes.

I suspect Jabari will average less than 20 mpg next season for Atlanta. Why are we giving him $13 million?!?!

I acknowledge all the flaws of Jabari, but pretty much choke on the notion that he'll have to make way for Reddish. Perhaps eventually, but right now Reddish's game needs a great deal of work before he displaces anyone.
And these days, in a world where Tobias Harris is worth $180 million, $13 million is chump change. Probably not a deal I would choose to make, but hardly outrageous, given the standards of the game...

DarkstarWahoo
07-08-2019, 03:24 PM
His family may not be getting the warm Brooklyn Heights welcome they were accustomed to last year: https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/grace-church-school-brooklyn.html

I read that article this morning. It was nuts long before the Redicks made their first appearance and only spiraled from there. Fascinating read.

sagegrouse
07-08-2019, 03:27 PM
I am trying to keep track of who will be where. There are 25 Blue Devils who got minutes in the NBA last season, per Watson. Here's what I have as their teams for 2019-2020. Please comment:

Stayed with Team
Jah - Pels
Jackson - Pels
Wendell Carter - Bulls
Bagley - Kings
Giles - Kings
Hood - Blazers
Tatum - Celts
Mason - Nuggets
Rivers - Rockets
Kennard - Pistons
Trent - Blazers
Justise - Heat

Changed Teams
Ingram - Pels
JJ - Pels
Seth Curry - Mavs
Kyrie - Nets
Grayson - Grizz
Tyus Jones - Grizz RFA for Wolves
Quinn Cook - Lakers
Miles - Grizzlies
Jabari - Hawks?
Lance Thomas - ??? Uncertain
Luol Deng - ??? Uncertain
Amile - ??? On Magic roster, no contract
Duval - ???

Billy Dat
07-08-2019, 03:44 PM
@FredKatz Jun 30
If the Wizards lose free agents Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker, possible though not inevitable, that means they would have traded Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers for the grand total of a top-36 protected 2023 second-round pick.

And that’s it.

BD80
07-08-2019, 03:46 PM

Great article, really well written.

Not an overly flattering portrayal of Chelsea Redick, but that seems to make it ring true. It doesn't sound like she was anything but sincere and helpful, but she was the focal point of the rival "faction."

Compelling read.

tbyers11
07-08-2019, 03:55 PM
I am trying to keep track of who will be where. There are 25 Blue Devils who got minutes in the NBA last season, per Watson. Here's what I have as their teams for 2019-2020. Please comment:

Stayed with Team
Jah - Pels
Jackson - Pels
Wendell Carter - Bulls
Bagley - Kings
Giles - Kings
Hood - Blazers
Tatum - Celts
Mason - Nuggets
Rivers - Rockets
Kennard - Pistons
Trent - Blazers
Justise - Heat

Changed Teams
Ingram - Pels
JJ - Pels
Seth Curry - Mavs
Kyrie - Nets
Grayson - Grizz
Tyus Jones - Grizz RFA for WolvesBArrin
Quinn Cook - Lakers
Miles - Grizzlies
Jabari - Hawks?
Lance Thomas - ??? Uncertain
Luol Deng - ??? Uncertain
Amile - ??? On Magic roster, no contract
Duval - ???

Amile was extended a qualifying offer (https://twitter.com/Magic_PR/status/1143624932984786947) by Orlando on June 25th. He is now a restricted free agent. No terms were disclosed but it is likely a minimum deal @ 1yr/~$1.4M. I believe teams have until July 13th to pull back these restricted offers without consent of the player.

JasonEvans
07-08-2019, 03:58 PM
@FredKatz Jun 30
If the Wizards lose free agents Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker, possible though not inevitable, that means they would have traded Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers for the grand total of a top-36 protected 2023 second-round pick.

Well, it was not Otto Porter that they traded. What they traded was the $55 mill in 2020 and 2021 that was owed to Otto Porter. They could not have given that away for free if they had tried.

Billy Dat
07-08-2019, 04:13 PM

I read that article this morning. It was nuts long before the Redicks made their first appearance and only spiraled from there. Fascinating read.

CO-SIGN! What a disaster. It almost makes you think this was a big reason why he is leaving NY.

sagegrouse
07-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Not an overly flattering portrayal of Chelsea Redick, but that seems to make it ring true. It doesn't sound like she was anything but sincere and helpful, but she was the focal point of the rival "faction."

Compelling read.

CO-SIGN! What a disaster. It almost makes you think this was a big reason why he is leaving NY.

Chelsea came off OK -- as one involved in non-profits, including Duke, anyone who volunteers that much can't be all bad. The problem is that 16 of the 18 board members hate Duke, and that doomed Chelsea's friend, the director of the nursery school.

MartyClark
07-08-2019, 06:38 PM
I've been travelling and somehow missed the news of Grayson being traded to Memphis.

Any thoughts on how he fits that team?

CrazyNotCrazie
07-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Compelling read.

I don't think it reflects well on her. It sounds like the bulk of the blame is on the school director for constantly trying to be Chelsea's BFF, but Chelsea comes across as extremely tone deaf and gauche (though she does not appear to be the only one).

I live in NYC with two young kids and know many people who live in this world. The drama involved in nursery schools is unbelievable. Meanwhile, the blocks and crayons they play with are identical to the ones used anywhere else in the world.

cato
07-08-2019, 08:18 PM

If I were looking for a warm welcome, Brooklyn Heights is the last place I would look, Philly and Boston excluded.

That said, I clicked through and noted this:

Then one morning in 2015, one of the school’s 3-year-old charges walked several blocks to her home, surprising her parents, and loosey-goosey started to seem like a liability.

If my three year old snuck out of school and walked home (something they would have given up on, because it’s pretty much up hill all the way, although in the modern sensibility, only one way) my wife and I would have been more than surprised. We would have been at work. And there my three year old would have been.

I must admit I lost the point of the article after they glossed over that point and started naming names that I do no know and will not remember. I never got to the tie-in to JJ. But if JJ and his wife want to move somewhere they can deal with real-life-issues like preschool without it being a news thing, I support them.

BD80
07-08-2019, 08:25 PM

If my three year old snuck out of school and walked home (something they would have given up on, because it’s pretty much up hill all the way, although in the modern sensibility, only one way) my wife and I would have been more than surprised. ...

Back in my day, we walked to school and back at age three. Delivering newspapers on the way there, and either shoveling driveways or mowing lawns on the way home ...

jimsumner
07-08-2019, 08:35 PM
either shoveling driveways or mowing lawns on the way home ...

"either?"

I grew up in North Carolina, the home of funky weather.

brevity
07-08-2019, 08:37 PM
But if JJ and his wife want to move somewhere they can deal with real-life-issues like preschool without it being a news thing, I support them.

I have no idea if JJ's family plans to join him in Louisiana, but I will say that there is a distinct advantage to being ranked #48 in education and #50 overall (https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings): nobody cares. They can find a good preschool and primary school without the social pressure, as long as they are willing to pay for it.

awhom111
07-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Amile was extended a qualifying offer (https://twitter.com/Magic_PR/status/1143624932984786947) by Orlando on June 25th. He is now a restricted free agent. No terms were disclosed but it is likely a minimum deal @ 1yr/~$1.4M. I believe teams have until July 13th to pull back these restricted offers without consent of the player.

Amile does not have enough experience in the league to no longer be eligible to have a two-way contract so I believe that his qualifying offer is just another two-way contract.

bundabergdevil
07-08-2019, 09:15 PM

This reads like the plot of Big Little Lies Brooklyn. It just has a Saarsgard instead of a Skarsgard...

tbyers11
07-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Amile does not have enough experience in the league to no longer be eligible to have a two-way contract so I believe that his qualifying offer is just another two-way contract.

You are correct. I didn't realize that qualifying offers could be tendered for 2 way contracts. It appears that Orlando wants to keep him as a 2 way player for 2019-20

I came across this Hoops Rumors website (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/201920-nba-two-way-contract-tracker.html) that lists all the 2 way contracts for 2019-20 for each team. Noticed that Kyle Guy just signed a 2 way with Sacramento. Good place to check where Duval, and possibly Bolden, might end up

mkirsh
07-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Well, it was not Otto Porter that they traded. What they traded was the $55 mill in 2020 and 2021 that was owed to Otto Porter. They could not have given that away for free if they had tried.

The Porter trade was fine - Ernie putting out his own fires again. Giving up on Kelly Oubre, a 23 yo RFA with some upside, for a half season of Trevor Ariza is hard to understand

budwom
07-09-2019, 07:05 AM
Still no decision from the Wolves regarding matching Tyus's offer from Memphis, but his agent tends to think he's gone...

Indoor66
07-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Back in my day, we walked to school and back at age three. Delivering newspapers on the way there, and either shoveling driveways or mowing lawns on the way home ...

And I had two stops for carrying hods of brick on the way home. I was always hungry for dinner.

Acymetric
07-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Firstly, it sounds like all these people pretty much deserve each other (except, I suppose, the kids), and I'll leave it at that. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the way Chelsea acted (it was probably inappropriate that she was in a position to do some of those things, but that is on the director for opening those doors) other than that the Redicks appear to have terrible taste in home decor.

Possibly more importantly: the article leans pretty hard on not understanding the phrase "crushed it". Are these people 80 years old? Not a phrase I would expect pre-school age parents to struggle with, and the author certainly seemed to be nodding along in a "yeah, what a weird phrase" kind of way...are they also unfamiliar with groovy or dude?

Billy Dat
07-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Firstly, it sounds like all these people pretty much deserve each other (except, I suppose, the kids), and I'll leave it at that. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the way Chelsea acted (it was probably inappropriate that she was in a position to do some of those things, but that is on the director for opening those doors) other than that the Redicks appear to have terrible taste in home decor.

Possibly more importantly: the article leans pretty hard on not understanding the phrase "crushed it". Are these people 80 years old? Not a phrase I would expect pre-school age parents to struggle with, and the author certainly seemed to be nodding along in a "yeah, what a weird phrase" kind of way...are they also unfamiliar with groovy or dude?

I don't think it reflects well on her. It sounds like the bulk of the blame is on the school director for constantly trying to be Chelsea's BFF, but Chelsea comes across as extremely tone deaf and gauche(though she does not appear to be the only one).

I live in NYC with two young kids and know many people who live in this world. The drama involved in nursery schools is unbelievable. Meanwhile, the blocks and crayons they play with are identical to the ones used anywhere else in the world.

I know this thread is not about this niche topic, but it is not everyday that the clash between old money and new money ties into Duke Basketball so neatly (then again, I know nothing about Iron Dukes where this may be an everyday concern). CrazyNotCrazie hit it on the head, she broke all the unwritten rules of decency...she was like Countess Ellen Olenska in Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" and got shunned by rigid and proper New York Society. Had she been a little younger, she'd have seen Whit Stillman's "Metropolitan" and she could have avoided her various faux pas...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUetRoY8s9s

Troublemaker
07-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Another Hawks fan here, chiming in. I think it's really the player option that is throwing Hawks fans for a loop. While ATL has bigger needs than an offense-first backup PF (I have a lot of faith in our young players on offense, but we need defenders), gambling on Jabari one a one year deal to be fully healthy and maybe a little hungry to rehabilitate his career is not a bad move, at all. If he plays well and the team still isn't great, the Hawks can try to deal him for some more assets at the deadline while making the on-court product a little more fun while he's playing. Alternatively, he could play well on offense, the Hawks can keep him all year, the team can go all season losing games 125-135, and then we get another shot at the top of the lottery to add a big piece when the team should be ready to start contending.

Adding the player option seems really risky, to me. There is a good chance he won't get any better offers unless he makes DRAMATIC improvements to his game. Meanwhile, the Hawks have set themselves up to have insane amounts of cap space available in the upcoming seasons. While ATL has not been a free agent destination in the past, I cling to the hope that this can change . . . especially if Young and Collins continue to dazzle. The last thing I want is $6.5 Million owed to Jabari to somehow eliminate the possibility of adding multiple max players next offseason. And while it doesn't currently look like next year's crop of NBA free agents will be particularly exciting save for Anthony Davis, you never know what the landscape will look like.

It's not the worst deal in the world. But I'm still not a fan. That said, I hope Jabari kills it and lands a bigger deal next offseason. I'd love to see him succeed. And I'm going to enjoy watching him suit up for "my" team again.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. The 2020 free agent class is expected to be horrible, which is why 2-year deals are en vogue this summer across the league. Look at how many 2-yr deals the Knicks have doled out, for example.

I don't expect Atlanta will regret this contract. Scorer off the bench sounds like a good role for Jabari, something he might have success in. As y'all know, Atlanta has a chance at the playoffs this season in the shallow East. But to win regular season games, you need a strong bench that can score when the starters rest or are out with injury during a long 82-game season. It's not what Jabari envisioned when he entered the league, I'm sure, but good offense / bad defense guys can carve out long careers by being go-to scoring options when opposing bench units square off against each other. Hopefully Jabari embraces becoming a Jamal Crawford.

clinresga
07-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. The 2020 free agent class is expected to be horrible, which is why 2-year deals are en vogue this summer across the league. Look at how many 2-yr deals the Knicks have doled out, for example.

I don't expect Atlanta will regret this contract. Scorer off the bench sounds like a good role for Jabari, something he might have success in. As y'all know, Atlanta has a chance at the playoffs this season in the shallow East. But to win regular season games, you need a strong bench that can score when the starters rest or are out with injury during a long 82-game season. It's not what Jabari envisioned when he entered the league, I'm sure, but good offense / bad defense guys can carve out long careers by being go-to scoring options when opposing bench units square off against each other. Hopefully Jabari embraces becoming a Jamal Crawford.

I'm a fan, never a player, so this question has always interested me: how much of the inability to play decent defense is due to the lack of some innate ability, versus a lack of interest/desire in playing good D? For someone of Jabari's (at least pre-injury) abilities, was his poor defense just a question of lack of effort? Or, to pick on the poster boy for "all O, no D," Jahlil Okafor--I get that he's not a high bounce, huge wingspan defensive demon, but plays like
this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdMvOG-mZZs)
sure suggest that effort was a big part of the problem.

So, if you were Jabari (pre-injury) or Jah, with your career and financial future at stake, why wouldn't you make more effort to learn to play defense? Or is that too simplistic?

duke79
07-09-2019, 05:12 PM

After reading this story (and I'm sure it is over-dramatized), you understand why the Russian Revolution occurred. It seems like a lot of psycho-drama among over-paid and overly-self important people who have no concept of "reality". I mean, this is not even nursery school or kindergarten but PRE-NURSERY school. (And, if true, it does sound like the Redick's have terrible taste in home decorating - "gold sinks"??)