PDA

View Full Version : 2019 DBR Mock Draft - It's a Wrap!

JasonEvans
06-05-2019, 01:43 PM
It is time!! The Mock Draft is getting started. (Final draft results added below.)

When it is your turn, post your pick in this thread. Ideally, you will also post the rationale behind the pick (both in terms of the player you select and how he fits the needs of your team). Don't be a homer ("I take Marques Bolden with the 5th pick in the draft") or a hater ("I would not draft Coby White in the 2nd round!"), try to be honest in your assessment of these players and how they fit in the NBA.

Here is our draft order as determined in the sign up thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?43805-2019-DBR-Mock-Draft-SIGN-UP-HERE!!):

Round 1
New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil -----> Zion Williamson, Duke
Memphis Grizzlies - Dukehk -----> RJ Barrett, Duke
New York Knicks - Troublemaker -----> Ja Morant, Murray St.
Los Angeles Lakers - roywhite -----> Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech
Cleveland Cavaliers - jacone21 -----> De'Andre Hunter, Virginia
Phoenix Suns - brevity -----> Darius Garland, Vanderbilt Hospital
Chicago Bulls - CDu -----> Cameron Reddish, Duke
Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Sekou Doumbouya, France
Washington Wizards - Truth & Justise -----> Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga
Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Coby White, UNCheat
Minnesota Timberwolves - Edouble -----> Nassir Little, UNCheat
Charlotte Hornets - JNort -----> Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga
Miami Heat - subzero02 -----> Bol Bol, Oregon
Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil -----> Jaxton Hayes, Texas
Detroit Pistons - FerryFor50 -----> PJ Washington, Texas
Orlando Magic -coldriver10 -----> Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Va Tech
Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan -----> Mfiondu Kabengele, Florida St.
Indiana Pacers - CoBlueDevils -----> Grant Williams, Tennessee
San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat -----> Tyler Herro, Kentucky
Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil -----> Ty Jerome, Virginia
Oklahoma City Thunder - accfanfrom1970 -----> Cam Johnson, UNCheat
Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil -----> Kevin Porter, USC
Utah Jazz - furniture -----> Carsen Edwards, Purdue
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen -----> Dylan Windler, Blemont
Portland Trail Blazers - Gooch -----> Keldon Johnson, Kentucky
Cleveland Cavaliers - jacone21 -----> Bruno Fernando, Maryland
Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan -----> Goga Bitadze, Georgia (the country, not the state/university)
Golden State Warriors - awhom111 -----> Luka Samanic, Croatia
San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat -----> Romeo Langford, Indiana
Milwaukee Bucks - Turk -----> Nick Claxton, Georgia (the university, not the country)

Round 2
Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan -----> KZ Okpala, Stanford
Phoenix Suns - brevity -----> Matisse Thybulle, Washington
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen -----> Terrance Mann, Florida St
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen -----> Tacko Fall, Central Florida
Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Naz Reid, LSU
Charlotte Hornets - JNort -----> Talen Horton-Tucker, Iowa St
Dallas Mavericks - kAzE -----> Chuma Okeke, Auburn
Chicago Bulls - CDu -----> Daniel Gafford, Arkansas
New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil -----> Admiral Schofeild, Tennessee
Sacramento Kings - tfk53 -----> Isaiah Roby, Nebraska
Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Kyle Guy, Virginia
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen -----> Louis King, Oregon
Minnesota Timberwolves - Edouble -----> Moses Brown, UCLA
Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Luguentz Dort, Fighting Hurleys
Detroit Pistons - FerryFor50 -----> Jalen Leque, almost made it to NC State
Orlando Magic -coldriver10 -----> Shamorie Ponds, St Johns
Sacramento Kings - tfk53 -----> Jaylen Hands, UCLA
Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans) -----> Eric Paschall, Villanova
San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat -----> Deividas Sirvydas, somewhere in Europe
Indiana Pacers - CoBlueDevils -----> Justin Robinson, Va Tech
Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil -----> Jontay Porter, Missouri
Charlotte Hornets - JNort ----> Darius Bazley, TrainingByMyself University
Utah Jazz - furniture -----> Marques Bolden, Duke
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen -----> Brian Bowen, Louisville/Adidas/South Carolina/Sydney Kings
New York Knicks - Troublemaker -----> Justin Wright-Foreman, Hofstra
Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans) -----> Terrence Davis, Ole Miss
New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil -----> Aubrey Dawkins, UCF
Golden State Warriors - awhom111 -----> Jordan Bone, Tenn
Toronto Raptors - Mattman91 -----> Vanja Marinkovic, Serbia
Sacramento Kings - tfk53 -----> Jessie Govan, Georgetown

Reminder... From Mon-Fri between 8am and 8pm ET, the clock is 4 hours. Make a pick in 4 hours or forfeit your pick to me (or some other designated picker).
Sat and Sun, the clock is 6 hours between 8am and 8pm ET (to allow for people who have activities away from the computer on weekends).
Please note -- you are allowed (and encouraged) to make picks before your time is up and you are allowed to make picks late at night even though the clock is suspended. Also, if you are worried you will not be available and can see your pick is coming up, PM some possible picks to me and I can post it for you.

Good luck everyone!!

-Jason "Reddevil, the great mystery of who you will pick begins now!!" Evans
https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/upload/c_fill,w_912,h_516,f_auto,q_auto,g_auto/shape/cover/sport/North-Dakota-State-v-Duke-7f1725fdbb9bf37a852232e14dc1d5b6.jpg

Reddevil
06-05-2019, 02:13 PM
On behalf of Owner Gayle Benson, President of Basketball Operations David Griffin, Head Coach Alvin Gentry, and the legendary Trajan Langdon who has recently joined us as General Manager, the Pelicans would like to welcome the Duke Basketball Report community to the NBA (mock) draft 2019.

As our team is in a state of flux and many negotiations are well underway, we will not discuss roster ramifications at this juncture. Instead, we will devote this opportunity to welcome our newest addition.

This young man possesses an extremely rare combination of emotional intelligence, basketball IQ, athleticism, and explosiveness. While we recognize he may well be a generational talent, in the short term he has already influenced our season ticket sales dramatically. His infectious smile and personality make him the ideal face of the franchise. While most recognize him as a basketball phenom, his natural generosity towards his teammates will serve him well as he grows into a leader.

Rarely does a basketball player at any level possess the ability to catch and finish or pass in one motion. While known for an astonishing array of dunks, his defensive prowess including steals and blocks may be what really sets him apart. At a generous 6’7” and around 280 lbs, what he lacks in height, he more than makes up for with at least a 45” vertical, and his mesmerizing suddenness.
We are of course referring to Bol Bol ;). No, actually none other than ZION WILLIAMSON – the first pick of the 2019 NBA draft!

roywhite
06-05-2019, 06:06 PM
paging Dukehk; coming up on a time violation

-jk
06-05-2019, 06:12 PM
A new GM, and I've messaged. Let's give a little slack.

Then Jason can draft, when he thinks enough slack has been given...

-jk

JNort
06-05-2019, 07:14 PM
I know everyone mocks Morant to the Grizz but I honestly think a better for them would be RJ.

NSDukeFan
06-05-2019, 07:26 PM
I know everyone mocks Morant to the Grizz but I honestly think a better for them would be RJ.

I almost chose to be the Grizzlies GM purely so that I could take R.J..

brevity
06-05-2019, 08:32 PM

When Dukehk took the job, I sent a spork advising him/her to do just that. No idea if it had any effect. What time is it in Hong Kong?

Meanwhile, I think Zion in New Orleans, as inevitable as it may seem, bears some discussion. I want to believe that the Pelicans will substantively change as a franchise with different key personnel in management, coaching, and training. But NOLA can be a deeply traditional environment (for better or worse) that resists and even suffocates progress. And Zion just being here with his positivity and efficiency will mask a lot of problems elsewhere with the team.

Bob Green
06-05-2019, 08:38 PM
What time is it in Hong Kong?

It is 8:37 am Thursday in Hong Kong.

JNort
06-06-2019, 01:34 AM

It makes sense to me, I wanted to do the same. Heck pgs are so easy to find nowadays, the league is saturated with them. Give me the wings!

Dukehk
06-06-2019, 08:52 AM
With the second pick in the NBA Draft the Memphis Grizzlies select...RJ BARRETT!!!

With Mike Conley at the point, we don't see the need to take someone like Ja Morant who is coming off knee surgery. We also think he might need some time to catch-up physically to the NBA game, where he will be facing guys much bigger and stronger. Its not going to be as easy for him to get into the lane and dunk on people when you have elite athletes guarding you every night. Mike is tied down to us for at least another 2 years and is nowhere near past his prime. We're also not going to get much back trying to trade him and we have way too many other holes to fill. Mike provides us with veteran leadership that our young players will need.

We think RJ Barrett is a brilliant young prospect with scoring ability that hasn't been seen for quite some time. We're talking about an 18 year old who has broken all types of scoring records in the stacked ACC and has the kind of game that gets him to the free throw line very often. Its safe to say that he will come into the league and could easily average anywhere between 15-20 ppg if we give him the touches. We feel that RJ also has the potential to be an excellent 3 point shooter with more practice and development, which he will get now that basketball is his full time job. He comes with an NBA body and ready to play from day 1.

He slots in perfectly for us at the 2 or 3, where we clearly have a lack of scoring talent in the current roster. Avery Bradley and Kyle Anderson don't provide enough scoring punch as starters, but would be great in 6th man role or more defensive roles.

The one thing that sets RJ apart from everyone else in this draft (except maybe Zion) is his killer mentality and win at all costs mindset. The kid is a winner and will never settle for anything less. We need to start winning again and RJ Barrett is the type of player to take us back into the playoffs. Its a safe bet that he will be the consummate professional and cornerstone of our franchise for years to come.

We are super excited to see how he will develop and form a devastating one-two punch with Jaren Jackson!

Troublemaker
06-06-2019, 09:21 AM
With the 3rd pick in the NBA draft, the New York Knicks select...

Ja Morant.

We're not really happy with the quality of this draft and tried to trade down. Begrudgingly, we took what we believe is best player available in Morant. (Dennis Smith Jr hasn't been good enough so far in his career to really make us think about positions and fit here). Everyone knows about Morant's athleticism but it's really his great passing that stands out to us; he can make all the passes required in the modern NBA with both hands and seems to have good feel and timing for them. We're also encouraged that he showed good improvement in his shooting stats between freshman and sophomore years.

We would've picked...

- Garland or White if they could pass better.

- Hunter if we were more confident he could be a creator instead of purely 3-and-D. His steal rate is also low.

- Culver if we were confident about his shot and he were more explosive

- Reddish if he didn't have such an inconsistent release and low 3-pt percentage.

Some surprising names we considered at #3 because of our lack of confidence in the other top prospects: Brandon Clarke, Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander Walker.

But ultimately, Morant.

Yuck, this draft.

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 09:32 AM
A new GM, and I've messaged. Let's give a little slack.

Then Jason can draft, when he thinks enough slack has been given...

Obviously, I gave a lot of slack because it was the very start of the draft and the start happened at an unpredictable time. Other GMs be warned... I shall not be so lenient going forward. As always, if your pick is coming up and you think you will be away for a while, PM me with some options for your pick and I will make it for you and you can explain your rationale at a later time.

Thanks to all.

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Ja Morant.

We're not really happy with the quality of this draft and tried to trade down. Begrudgingly, we took what we believe is best player available in Morant.

In real life, I am hoping the Knicks make that deal with the Hawks, though if Ja is the kid available at #3 the Hawks would probably think twice about the trade as they are already set at PG.

But, in terms of our mock draft world. this is a great pick for the Knicks. It increasingly looks like Kyrie will not be their PG answer and I suspect Durant and some other players may be enticed about playing with a dynamic creator/passer like Morant. Perhaps getting a PG in Morant allows the Knicks to sign Durant and Tobias Harris (who grew up on Long Island) rather than going after Kemba or Kyrie?

-Jason "please please let the Knicks trade with the Hawks so I can have RJ in my hometown..." Evans

Furniture
06-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Duke 1&2. Fantastic!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Duke 1&2. Fantastic!!

Hey, it's a Duke board. Don't be surprised if Bolden goes third.

roywhite
06-06-2019, 10:01 AM
The Lakers are up and what can you say about their current state? Front office people coming and going, family squabbles, disappointing performances the past season, constant speculation by the national media about LeBron and the team, trade rumors galore. Fittingly, they are a Hollywood team with all the drama.

The Lakers go with Jarrett Culver, 6'6" SG from Texas Tech

Strong points; versatile (could play the 2 or 3 position), an excellent defender, high character, well coached by Chris Beard, all-around offensive game as he scores, distributes, and rebounds well; shot mechanics look good. If LA is active in the trade/free agent market, they can still count on this guy as a very good team player who fits in well.

Areas for improvement -- his % from 3-points was less than 31%, he's not a dazzling player, very good but not elite athlete. Based on his background, coaching, and trajectory over the past two years, Culver will do the work to improve.

Troublemaker
06-06-2019, 10:07 AM
In real life, I am hoping the Knicks make that deal with the Hawks, though if Ja is the kid available at #3 the Hawks would probably think twice about the trade as they are already set at PG.

But, in terms of our mock draft world. this is a great pick for the Knicks. It increasingly looks like Kyrie will not be their PG answer and I suspect Durant and some other players may be enticed about playing with a dynamic creator/passer like Morant. Perhaps getting a PG in Morant allows the Knicks to sign Durant and Tobias Harris (who grew up on Long Island) rather than going after Kemba or Kyrie?

-Jason "please please let the Knicks trade with the Hawks so I can have RJ in my hometown..." Evans

I would love if RJ went to the Hawks. Good organization, known for player development, and the spacing that fellow building blocks Young and Huerter would provide would help him. It'd be a good place for RJ to grow.

One clarification from my short writeup above: Hunter can create his own shot, at least in college. I didn't mean to make it sound like he had no creation skills. But, at least for the #3 pick, I do want someone who has the ceiling to be the primary creator on the team. Morant does have the upside to be the engine of an offense with his handle, explosion, and passing. Hopefully his shooting is there.

NSDukeFan
06-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Ja Morant.

We're not really happy with the quality of this draft and tried to trade down. Begrudgingly, we took what we believe is best player available in Morant. (Dennis Smith Jr hasn't been good enough so far in his career to really make us think about positions and fit here). Everyone knows about Morant's athleticism but it's really his great passing that stands out to us; he can make all the passes required in the modern NBA with both hands and seems to have good feel and timing for them. We're also encouraged that he showed good improvement in his shooting stats between freshman and sophomore years.

We would've picked...

- Hunter if we were more confident he could be a creator instead of purely 3-and-D. His steal rate is also low.

- Reddish if he didn't have such an inconsistent release and low 3-pt percentage.

Some surprising names we considered at #3 because of our lack of confidence in the other top prospects: Brandon Clarke, Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander Walker.

But ultimately, Morant.

Yuck, this draft.

I understand you feeling this draft is weak, but isn’t there a pretty clear separation after the first three picks that would make it better to get one of them instead of trading down?

jacone21
06-06-2019, 12:52 PM
With the 5th pick in the 2019 DBR Mock Draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers select DeAndre Hunter. I was going to take Culver if he was available, but Roy and the Lakers got him. Since the Cavs are in total rebuild mode, I went with the best available player at this time. Hunter is a mature, versatile player, and he seems like can't-miss prospect who should have a really nice NBA career. We shall see.

Troublemaker
06-06-2019, 12:56 PM
I understand you feeling this draft is weak, but isn’t there a pretty clear separation after the first three picks that would make it better to get one of them instead of trading down?

I don't think there's a clear separation. I'll take the field over Morant and RJ being the second and third-best players. And so, imo, at pick #3, it makes sense to pay a smaller salary and pick up more assets by trading down. As always, I could be wrong.

brevity
06-06-2019, 01:42 PM
The New York Knicks got all the press, but the 2019 NBA Draft Lottery was unkindest to the Phoenix Suns, who saw THREE Western Conference teams jump over them to win higher picks.

While the Suns roster could be a lot better (see table below), it isn't entirely hopeless. Let us pray that DeAndre Ayton will put an end to the franchise's weird Next Big Man Savior fixation. Devin Booker is a Top 10 scorer in the league. And, prior to his foot injury, Josh Jackson showed a Fran Tarkenton (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42899-NFL-draft-conversation-(with-lots-of-Daniel-Jones-stuff)&p=1167556#post1167556) level of scrambling in Miami last month when he resisted arrest and ran away from the police (https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253759/Josh-Jackson-Faces-Felony-Charge-Following-Arrest). The only other players under contract are Mikal Bridges, De’Anthony Melton, Elie Okobo, and T.J. Warren.

The real Suns have trade possibilities and free agency to acquire the veteran point guard they say they want, but as mock GM, I can use the 6th pick to select Darius Garland of Vanderbilt. Well, 5 games at Vanderbilt. Aside from French player Sekou Doumbouya, Garland is the one lottery pick least corrupted by the NCAA experience. (To make another football comparison, Garland is like the high school football player in the 1987 movie Summer School, who takes the bathroom pass on the first day and doesn't show up again until test day. He misses all 6 weeks of instruction and still gets the highest score.)

I imagine the Suns roster will look a lot different next year, but a Garland/Booker backcourt tandem is a decent building block.

---

Finally, here's a fun exercise. The Phoenix Suns have been in the lottery every year since 2011. What might their roster look like if they simply went with the player who was selected two picks later?

Year
Suns Pick
Two Picks Later

#1 DeAndre Ayton (C)*
#3 Luka Dončić (PG/SF)

#4 Josh Jackson (SF)
#6 Jonathan Isaac (SF/PF)

#4 Dragan Bender (PF/C)**
#6 Buddy Hield (SG)

#13 Devin Booker (SG)
#15 Kelly Oubre Jr. (SG)

#14 T.J. Warren (SF)
#16 Jusuf Nurkić (C)

#5 Alex Len (C)
#7 Ben McLemore (SG)

#13 Kendall Marshall (PG)
#15 Maurice Harkless (SF)

#13 Markieff Morris (PF)
#15 Kawhi Leonard (SF)

* In 2018, Phoenix also traded for #10 Mikal Bridges (SF).
** In 2016, Phoenix also traded for #8 pick Marquese Chriss (PF) and drafted Georgios Papagiannis (C) at #13.

With the exception of Ben McLemore, this is a surprisingly solid Two Picks Later column. No matter who the real Suns pick at #6, watch out for #8.

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 01:47 PM
I'll take the field over Morant and RJ being the second and third-best players.

Well, you don't get the field. It is not like someone is offering to trade picks #4-#60 for picks #2 and #3. The Hawks and Knicks are supposedly talking about trading #8 and #10 for #3. The Hawks have a boat load of picks this year (#8, #10 in the first round plus the 5th, 11th, and 14th picks of the 2nd round). There's almost no way the Hawks are adding 5 rookies to their roster in 2019-20 so they are going to be in the mood to make 2 for 1 trades to move up or potentially get picks in the future. I suppose that if the Hawks really, really want to move up to #3, they might even offer one of those second round picks for the #3... so that gets you closer to "the field" but still a long way from it.

-Jason "most years, I would be reluctant to deal two top 10 picks for the #3... but I think RJ is pretty likely to be a future all-star so I'd do it this year" Evans

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 01:51 PM
I will periodically update the full draft list so folks can see who has been taken thus far... like this:

Round 1
Washington Wizards - Truth & Justice -----> Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga
Minnesota Timberwolves - Edouble
Charlotte Hornets - JNort
Miami Heat - subzero02
Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil
Detroit Pistons - FerryFor50
Orlando Magic -coldriver10
Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan
Indiana Pacers - CoBlueDevils
San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat
Oklahoma City Thunder - accfanfrom1970
Utah Jazz - furniture
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen
Portland Trail Blazers - Gooch
Cleveland Cavaliers - jacone21
Golden State Warriors - awhom111
Milwaukee Bucks - Turk

Round 2
Phoenix Suns - brevity
Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans
Dallas Mavericks - kAzE
Chicago Bulls - CDu
New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans)
Utah Jazz - furniture
New York Knicks - Troublemaker
Toronto Raptors - Mattman91
Sacramento Kings - tfk53

Troublemaker
06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Well, you don't get the field. It is not like someone is offering to trade picks #4-#60 for picks #2 and #3. The Hawks and Knicks are supposedly talking about trading #8 and #10 for #3. The Hawks have a boat load of picks this year (#8, #10 in the first round plus the 5th, 11th, and 14th picks of the 2nd round). There's almost no way the Hawks are adding 5 rookies to their roster in 2019-20 so they are going to be in the mood to make 2 for 1 trades to move up or potentially get picks in the future. I suppose that if the Hawks really, really want to move up to #3, they might even offer one of those second round picks for the #3... so that gets you closer to "the field" but still a long way from it.

-Jason "most years, I would be reluctant to deal two top 10 picks for the #3... but I think RJ is pretty likely to be a future all-star so I'd do it this year" Evans

And if I thought the same way, I would stay put at #3 and pick RJ. A lot of it just comes down to evaluation. I guess my point with "the field" comment is that I could easily see the #10 pick in this draft becoming better than the #3 pick. Or more easily than most drafts. It's a lot of parity after Zion, imo, which perhaps makes trading down the best option if you're the Knicks. As always, I could be wrong.

Truth&Justise
06-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Year
Suns Pick
Two Picks Later

#1 DeAndre Ayton (C)*
#3 Luka Dončić (PG/SF)

#4 Josh Jackson (SF)
#6 Jonathan Isaac (SF/PF)

#4 Dragan Bender (PF/C)**
#6 Buddy Hield (SG)

#13 Devin Booker (SG)
#15 Kelly Oubre Jr. (SG)

#14 T.J. Warren (SF)
#16 Jusuf Nurkić (C)

#5 Alex Len (C)
#7 Ben McLemore (SG)

#13 Kendall Marshall (PG)
#15 Maurice Harkless (SF)

#13 Markieff Morris (PF)
#15 Kawhi Leonard (SF)

* In 2018, Phoenix also traded for #10 Mikal Bridges (SF).
** In 2016, Phoenix also traded for #8 pick Marquese Chriss (PF) and drafted Georgios Papagiannis (C) at #13.

With the exception of Ben McLemore, this is a surprisingly solid Two Picks Later column. No matter who the real Suns pick at #6, watch out for #8.

Oof, that is rough for Suns fans. All teams have stories about bad draft decisions (the Wizards recent choice of Jan Vesely over Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard comes to mind, to say nothing of Kwame Brown) , but that one is oddly precise. I guess that bodes well for Atlanta picking at #8!

I will periodically update the full draft list so folks can see who has been taken thus far... like this:

Round 1

Brutal.

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Brutal.

Thanks... I could not resist. Does not mean I think it is a bad pick... not at all. I might have even taken him #4.

PackMan97
06-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Unless of course the two top 10 picks you give up go on to be NBA all stars :)...like say Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce from the 1998 draft (9 and 10 respectively).

However, it's really about fit at the top of the draft unless you have a possible once in a decade pick like James, Shaq, or Zion.

CDu
06-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Well, I can't say that this pick is super-exciting. And in all honesty, it's probably not what the real Bulls will do. Their tendency has been to fill their starting lineup and call it a day, which would suggest taking a PG here. Unfortunately, this draft has like one actual PG prospect in it, and he will go #1 or #2. The available picks here appear to be bigs and wings and a shooting-guard masquerading as a PG. So, with the seventh pick, the E-Bulls of DBR select Cameron Reddish, 6'8" SG/SF from Duke.

In terms of need, it's not a perfect fit. We have Zach LaVine, Otto Porter, Denzel Valentine, and Chandler Hutchison as options at SG and SF. We also have a pretty full frontcourt with Wendell Carter and Lauri Markkanen. The PG spot is a glaring hole, but we are going to try to zig when folks expect us to zag. So rather than take the best available PG, we are going to take the guy with the most theoretical upside.

Cam Reddish was an absolute stud in high school. He was smooth and seemed effortless in his ability to make plays. The knock on him was that he seemed to take plays off and didn't always play with the urgency needed. He theoretically had all the tools: ballhandling, passing, shooting, slashing, scoring. And he has a prototypical frame for a wing, with really long arms.

The problem is that he got to Duke and seemed to not show ANY of that besides the frame. The handle looked suspect, the shooting was incredibly inconsistent, and he showed no ability to finish off the dribble.

So the hope is that last year was just a blip on the radar, and that with time to develop physically he'll eventually become an impact wing like he was in high school. If he regain his form, he's a steal at #7. And #7 is just low enough that we don't feel too bad about wasting the pick.

In terms of fit, he'd probably supplant Hutchison as the first wing off the bench. That is, unless he shows enough early to go with a starting lineup of LaVine (not a PG, but a good ballhandler and more of a lead guard anyway) and Reddish at guard. Ultimately, we feel that SG is probably Reddish's best spot given his frame, and we think he will at worst give us a dynamite defender on the wing. And if he can develop into a nice dual combo-guard pairing with LaVine while taking the tougher defensive assignment on the perimeter, then that would be a huge win for us.

And, because we are a lazy front office, we have done pretty well drafting Duke guys over the years (Brand, Deng, Duhon, Carter; JWill would have been great but for the accident), so we're counting on that magic to continue.

Now, don't make us look foolish, Cam!

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 03:21 PM
With the #8 pick, the Atlanta Hawks take Sekou Doumbouya from France.

We really wanted Cam Reddish to fall to #8 and when he did not, the Hawks found themselves in a bind. Coby White is probably the best player on the board right now, but we really, really, really don't need another offensive minded point guard and even if you think White can slip over to SG, he does not have the defensive chops (and his wingspan/length is terrible) for what the Hawks need at this point.

Sekou is the youngest player in this draft and held his own in the fairly advanced French A league last year playing against men. He is 6-9 with great length and athleticism. Everyone is saying he reminds them of Paskal Siakam, though many think Sekou is more skilled at this point than Siakam was. He has really good shooting form and has shown he can shoot from 3, which is huge in a looong youngster. What's more, he has strength and the kind of body that will clearly gain some bulk, not the more typical athletic stringbean that struggles to get to a NBA weight. He's an excellent rebounder already and NBA scouts drool over his defensive potential.

He's already 6-9 and appears to still be growing. The Hawks mock-GM envisions Sekou playing alongside John Collins in a lineup where just about everyone switches everything (except tiny Tre who sticks on the opposing PG if possible).

Despite the strides the team made in 2018-19, the Hawks still think they are a year or two away from being real contenders and do not mind waiting for the young Sekou to become the stud we think he can be. We'll be spending money on free agents next summer (when we will have 2 max spots available) and think Sekou will be maturing into an impact player right around the time Tre, Collins, and a free agent or two are looking for that one extra piece to get them over the hump and into the NBA championship picture.

-Jason "curse you, CDu... we really wanted Cam" Evans

Truth&Justise
06-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Let's set the table for the Wizards:

Long-time middling GM Ernie Grunfeld is finally gone. However, there is no replacement yet. The team is rudderless. John Wall's contract will fall somewhere between risky over-payment (if he returns well from injury), and franchise-crippling albatross (if he doesn't). There is a true star in Bradley Beal, who is under contract for two more years. But aside from rookie Troy Brown and free agents Thomas Bryant and Tomas Satoransky, the team is devoid of young talent. One school of thought is to trade Beal now, while his value is high, commit to tanking until Wall's contract is over, and hope for a good team in 2023. I prefer a different route, which is to punt on one more season, draft the best player available, and hope Wall + Beal + 2019 draft pick + 2020 draft pick can compete in 2021. And since there's no GM to overrule me, that's where we'll go: for a good player with upside, but not a complete project -- someone who's ready to compete in his second year in the league.

Therefore, I'm proud to announce, that with the 9th Pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Washington Wizards select . . .

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/x7I_qjWbDQ5dNkIVO0S_kC-uBZE=/0x0:2981x4044/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:2981x4044):format(webp):no_upsca le()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/16302283/usa_today_12208830.jpg

Brandon Clarke, 6'8" PF/C from Gonzaga University.

Clarke was an absolute stud in his sole season in Spokane after transferring from San Jose State. He averaged 16.9 points, 8.6 rebounds and an astounding 3.2 blocks with 1.2 steals in just 28.1 minutes per game. And he was an advanced metrics darling: he led the nation in offensive efficiency rating, defensive efficiency rating AND win shares, and was second only to Zion in PER and Box plus/minus. He's a defensive menace who protects the rim and can hold his own when switched on the perimeter. On offense he's a work in progress, but is a willing passer and has shown improved form on his jumper, giving hope that he can develop beyond the 27% from 3 and 69% from the free throw line that he shot last season.

At only 6'8" with a 6'9" wingspan, there are some doubts about his physical profile. But he has the best combination of strength, quickness and explosive leaping ability this side of Zion, and he's an energetic and tenacious player. He should be able to contribute on defense from day 1, with the potential to develop into a versatile inside-outside defender. If his shot improves he'll be an ideal power forward for years to come, and even if it doesn't he should be a great small-ball center. He is a bit older than other prospects at 22, meaning there may be less room to improve in the long run, but if he just sharpens his current skills, he should be a good-to-great NBA player for the next 8-10 years.

And with that, I'm done, because the Wizards don't have a second round pick, and won't have a second round pick until 2024 (unless Chicago's 2023 second round pick falls outside the 31-35 range). Thanks Ernie!

brevity
06-06-2019, 04:55 PM
6. Phoenix Suns - brevity -----> Darius Garland, Vanderbilt Hospital

Brutal.

Thanks... I could not resist. Does not mean I think it is a bad pick... not at all. I might have even taken him #4.

Thanks, Commish, for adding to my deep and immediate sense of Drafter's Remorse. I should have picked Daniel Jones at #6...

After conspiring to make trouble for Troublemaker at #3 by suggesting RJ Barrett for #2, I found myself similarly frustrated at #6. That next group of 3 (Culver, Hunter, Garland) are the most likely to go #4-6, with the possibility of Coby White breaking through because of some point guard grabbing frenzy, or Lakers stupidity, or both. I didn't love Garland, mostly because I don't know him, and hoped he would be selected at #4 or #5. But once Culver and Hunter were taken -- and truthfully, I would have selected either for being the best available rather than for fit -- there was no great choice. I considered Brandon Clarke, despite a limited knowledge of Gonzaga, but it was harder to defend when the consensus #2 point guard was right there. (If I were picking for a different team at #6, like Cleveland, I would have chosen Clarke or someone else.)

Also, if I felt I could get a first-round caliber point guard or combo guard at #32, I would have, but I don't think I can. This IS a weird draft. I'm not yet convinced many teams will be able to draft for fit.

Truth&Justise
06-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting the Nets have traded the #17 pick to the Hawks:

Brooklyn is trading Allen Crabbe and No. 17 pick in 2019 NBA Draft and protected first in 2020 to Atlanta for Taurean Prince and 2021 second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1136731760887308288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1136731760887308288&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fclutchpoints.com%2Fnba-news-nets-trade-allen-crabbe-no-17-pick-protected-2020-1st-round-pick-to-hawks-for-taurean-prince-2021-2nd-round-pick%2F)

Does that mean JasonEvans will go ahead and make the extra pick for Atlanta in the DBR mock draft? Because I'm seeing reports the trade can't officially be completed until July 6 (https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/6/6/18655700/atlanta-hawks-trade-taurean-prince-brooklyn-nets-allen-crabbe-nba-draft-picks-details), after the NBA draft.

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 05:09 PM
With the 10th pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Coby White, PG, University of Non-stop Cheating.

Look, I know I dissed White a bit for his average length and his lack of defensive skills/effort a couple picks ago, but nothing drives me more crazy than a team that passes on a kid who has clearly fallen into their lap because, "he's not a good fit for us." It is just plain stupid. Getting a competent NBA player is really difficult to do, even in the lottery, and when a kid is clearly the best player on the board (and has been for several picks), passing on him is just dumb.

So, I'm taking a kid who has the skills to play PG but the size to play some SG too. White is a stud scorer who has NBA range and is fearless taking the ball to the hole. He improved tremendously over the year and especially since high school, which is a big deal and shows he may continue to improve. He may never start for me but he could end up being one of the best backup PGs in the league in a couple years and if we can lessen Trae's workload a bit that would not be a bad thing for a kid who is pretty small and slight by NBA standards.

-Jason "I cannot find a mock that has Coby going anywhere but #6 or #7... so I got a steal ;) " Evans

JasonEvans
06-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Does that mean JasonEvans will go ahead and make the extra pick for Atlanta in the DBR mock draft? Because I'm seeing reports the trade can't officially be completed until July 6 (https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/6/6/18655700/atlanta-hawks-trade-taurean-prince-brooklyn-nets-allen-crabbe-nba-draft-picks-details), after the NBA draft.

Our draft order is locked. But, if NSDukeFan asks my opinion of who to pick, that is fine ;)

NSDukeFan
06-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Our draft order is locked. But, if NSDukeFan asks my opinion of who to pick, that is fine ;)

I had been hoping Brandon Clarke would fall to 17, but I guess not.

Edouble
06-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Minnesota is desperately seeking a top shelf perimeter player to pair with their superstar KAT.

Guard pickings are a shot in the dark in this draft, but at the end of the day, we are going with the most physically ready NBA prospect available to us in the late lottery.

With the 11th pick in the NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Nassir Little.

At 6'6" 220lbs with a 7'1" wingspan, the Timbies are banking that Little can develop along the same trajectory as former #15 pick Kawhi Leonard... a player who excelled on the defensive end early and gradually developed his offensive game. We are hoping to work with Little to develop his three point shot, first and foremost, and to make the most of his athletic gifts on the defensive end starting from day one.

While we were tempted to pull the trigger on another high risk, high reward prospect, Romeo Langford, we felt that Little had the higher floor with the potential to develop quickly into the solid 3-and-D player that the modern NBA covets. We hope that in a few years, Little can develop into even more.

MarkD83
06-06-2019, 10:04 PM
With the 10th pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Coby White, PG, University of Non-stop Cheating.

Look, I know I dissed White a bit for his average length and his lack of defensive skills/effort a couple picks ago, but nothing drives me more crazy than a team that passes on a kid who has clearly fallen into their lap because, "he's not a good fit for us." It is just plain stupid. Getting a competent NBA player is really difficult to do, even in the lottery, and when a kid is clearly the best player on the board (and has been for several picks), passing on him is just dumb.

So, I'm taking a kid who has the skills to play PG but the size to play some SG too. White is a stud scorer who has NBA range and is fearless taking the ball to the hole. He improved tremendously over the year and especially since high school, which is a big deal and shows he may continue to improve. He may never start for me but he could end up being one of the best backup PGs in the league in a couple years and if we can lessen Trae's workload a bit that would not be a bad thing for a kid who is pretty small and slight by NBA standards.

-Jason "I cannot find a mock that has Coby going anywhere but #6 or #7... so I got a steal ;) " Evans

This is a Duke board so I think Jason should lose his next pick in the mock draft for pandering to the enemy....or at least tell us you are going to make a mock-trade with Charlotte.

MarkD83
06-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Minnesota is desperately seeking a top shelf perimeter player to pair with their superstar KAT.

Guard pickings are a shot in the dark in this draft, but at the end of the day, we are going with the most physically ready NBA prospect available to us in the late lottery.

With the 11th pick in the NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Nassir Little.

At 6'6" 220lbs with a 7'1" wingspan, the Timbies are banking that Little can develop along the same trajectory as former #15 pick Kawhi Leonard... a player who excelled on the defensive end early and gradually developed his offensive game. We are hoping to work with Little to develop his three point shot, first and foremost, and to make the most of his athletic gifts on the defensive end starting from day one.

While we were tempted to pull the trigger on another high risk, high reward prospect, Romeo Langford, we felt that Little had the higher floor with the potential to develop quickly into the solid 3-and-D player that the modern NBA covets. We hope that in a few years, Little can develop into even more.

Ditto for Edouble...

Furniture
06-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Ditto for Edouble...

Plus Marques is still on the table....tsk tsk.

Neals384
06-07-2019, 09:12 AM

Ja Morant.

We would've picked...

But ultimately, Morant.

Yuck, this draft.

What do people think about Morant's defense? Watching him in the NCAA Tournament, it seemed like he made no effort whatsoever. Didn't stay with his man, never raised his arms, etc. His rebond numbers were good for a PG only because he was usually closer to the basket than you'd expect. I love his motor an PG skills on O, but IMHO he will get abused on the defensive end.

Edouble
06-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Plus Marques is still on the table...tsk tsk.

In my defense, Minnesota has Karl-Anthony Towns at center. Atlanta has Dewayne Dedmon.

Jason should be taking much more heat over this than me. ;)

JNort
06-07-2019, 09:18 AM
With the 12th Pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Charlotte Hornets select . . .

Rui Hachimura

Now the Hornets GM is gonna get some sleep and explain later because 3rd shift problems...

JasonEvans
06-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Rui Hachimura

Now the Hornets GM is gonna get some sleep and explain later because 3rd shift problems...

When you wake up... please tell us if you would have taken White or Little if they were still on the board. We know what the real Hornets ownership would do, but I am interested in your opinion.

JasonEvans
06-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Round 1
Oklahoma City Thunder - accfanfrom1970
Utah Jazz - furniture
Portland Trail Blazers - Gooch
Milwaukee Bucks - Turk

Round 2
Phoenix Suns - brevity
Dallas Mavericks - kAzE
Chicago Bulls - CDu
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Utah Jazz - furniture
Sacramento Kings - tfk53

subzero02
06-07-2019, 10:24 AM
With the 13th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Miami Heat select Bol Bol from the University of Oregon. Standing 7'2" with a 7'8" wingspan, Bol Bol possesses tremendous upside. He has a nice perimeter jumpshot and can also score with a variety of moves close to the basket. He runs the floor extremely for a player of his stature and is an effective scorer on the break. Largely due to his elite wingspan, Bol Bol is a highly valuable rim protector. As he adds muscle to his frail body frame, his defensive prowess should improve. Injury is a major area of concern when evaluating his long term NBA prospects. His lack of both body mass and muscle exasperate these concerns. It also doesn't help that his weight dropped from 235 to 210 after suffering a season ending injury to his left foot. Despite these glaring question marks, Bol Bol's talent and uniqueness as a player are impossible to overlook. He only played 9 games collegiately but in those games he put up some great statistics: 21.0 ppg, 9.6 rpg and 2.7 bpg. The Miami Heat aren't expecting him to have a major impact during his first 2 seasons but as his body matures, we anticipate that Bol Bol will become one of the more dominant players in the Eastern Conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zFm3JdzZE

JasonEvans
06-07-2019, 10:50 AM
With the 13th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Miami Heat select Bol Bol from the University of Oregon. Standing 7'2" with a 7'8" wingspan, Bol Bol possesses tremendous upside. He has a nice perimeter jumpshot and can also score with a variety of moves close to the basket. He runs the floor extremely for a player of his stature and is an effective scorer on the break. Largely due to his elite wingspan, Bol Bol is a highly valuable rim protector. As he adds muscle to his frail body frame, his defensive prowess should improve. Injury is a major area of concern when evaluating his long term NBA prospects. His lack of both body mass and muscle exasperate these concerns. It also doesn't help that his weight dropped from 235 to 210 after suffering a season ending injury to his left foot. Despite these glaring question marks, Bol Bol's talent and uniqueness as a player are impossible to overlook. He only played 9 games collegiately but in those games he put up some great statistics: 21.0 ppg, 9.6 rpg and 2.7 bpg. The Miami Heat aren't expecting him to have a major impact during his first 2 seasons but as his body matures, we anticipate that Bol Bol will become one of the more dominant players in the Eastern Conference.

If he is able to overcome the major injury fears, this is a great pick as the kid has ridiculous size/length but he also has legit skills. We are talking about a kid who hit 52% of his threes in college... and he took almost 3 three-pointers per game. But, everyone seems to think he is going to be endlessly injured or something.

I seriously considered taking him at #10. I probably should have because if there is any team who can gamble on a pick and afford to have it not pan out, it is the pick-rich Hawks.

-Jason "take away the injury concerns and Bolx2 is a top 5 pick, easy" Evans

Truth&Justise
06-07-2019, 11:04 AM
If he is able to overcome the major injury fears, this is a great pick as the kid has ridiculous size/length but he also has legit skills. We are talking about a kid who hit 52% of his threes in college... and he took almost 3 three-pointers per game. But, everyone seems to think he is going to be endlessly injured or something.

I seriously considered taking him at #10. I probably should have because if there is any team who can gamble on a pick and afford to have it not pan out, it is the pick-rich Hawks.

-Jason "take away the injury concerns and Bolx2 is a top 5 pick, easy" Evans

Also considered it -- if the Wizards pursue the "trade Beal for future prospects" strategy, then someone like Bol Bol is an appropriate home-run swing. Interesting pick for a capped-out Miami team that is perpetually stuck between win-now and build-for-the-future modes.

flyingdutchdevil
06-07-2019, 11:53 AM
...wait...how did Garland, White, Clarke, Hachimura, and Bol Bol all get taken? Now the Celtics really have to dig deep.

Okay, so he's the state of the Celtics. We have a great coach. We have young talent. We have an aging but still effective Al Horford.

Kyrie will be gone. That's a foregone conclusion. We have Terry Rozier, but he's not a top tier PG (albiet still a good one). We have solid/good/potentially great players from the 2-4. Hence, the Celts need players are 1s or 5s. But we're also the Celts, so we look towards the best available player moreso than need. With this utterly mediocre draft outside of the top 5, it's a crap shoot.

So, we'll try to kill two birds with one stone. We'll draft the best player available and potentially fulfill a medium-term need.

And with the 14th pick of the draft, the Celtics select Jaxson Hayes from University of Texas. This is a risky pick, but Hayes could be a potential All-Star. He could also be a bust. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. This draft class is not ideal for a team with 3 1st round picks.

FerryFor50
06-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Rather than hold everyone up, I’ll make my pick and do a write up later today.

With the 15th pick, the Detroit Pistons select PJ Washington, Kentucky.

flyingdutchdevil
06-07-2019, 12:02 PM
The Kentucky prospects are interesting. I think they are medium floor, low ceiling type prospects. You kinda know what you're getting that there really isn't that much upside. As the Celtics GM, I'm trying to stay away from them.

coldriver10
06-07-2019, 12:26 PM
With the 16th pick in the 2019 NBA draft, the Orlando Magic select Nickeil Alexander-Walker, SG, Virginia Tech. The GM would like to bold the player's name but is not sure how to do this on mobile. ((Jason- I did it for you))

The Magic need shooting and defense on the perimeter, and we feel Nickeil is a great fit for our team. We also considered Herro as well as Ty Jerome (the mock GM honestly would choose Jerome here, but she doesn't believe real GMs are quite as high on him). Regardless, Nickeil is a high floor prospect and a solid pick at this point in the draft.

FerryFor50
06-07-2019, 01:06 PM
The Kentucky prospects are interesting. I think they are medium floor, low ceiling type prospects. You kinda know what you're getting that there really isn't that much upside. As the Celtics GM, I'm trying to stay away from them.

That’s pretty much the rest of the prospects left in this draft. 😁

Truth&Justise
06-07-2019, 01:16 PM

That’s pretty much the rest of the prospects left in this draft. 😁

I think there's still a few high-upside high-risk players. Guys like Darius Bazley, Jontay Porter, Romeo Langford, Kevin Porter, and most of the international players (particularly Goga Bitadze).

NSDukeFan
06-07-2019, 03:40 PM
The New Jersey, oops, Brooklyn, Nets made the playoffs this year with a fairly young squad. We have some good young pieces to build around. I may go into more detail in future picks as this one is going to Atlanta, as we traded it to them to dump Allan Crabbe’s salary. I was originally hoping one of the Gonzaga forwards, or the French forward would still be around at this spot, but when they were all gone, I figured I would go Canadian and take Alexander-Walker. Unfortunately, those plans were foiled. I might as well stick with a Canadian and pick the second ever player in the first round to have played in the NCAA and never started a game. With the 17th pick, the Brooklyn Nets select Mfiondu Kabengele. . I might add more later, but don’t want everyone waiting more than they already have.

CoBlueDevil
06-07-2019, 05:35 PM
With the 18th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers select Grant Williams, forward, University of Tennessee!

The Pacers 2018-2019 campaign would have to be considered a success, finishing with a 48-34 record and 4th place in the East! Yes they did get swept by a more talented Celtics team in the first round, but after losing their best player Oladipo in January, staying in the top four was pretty impressive! If Oladipo doesn't get hurt we might be talking about how the Pacers played the Bucks tough in a 5 or 6 game series.

Now to get to next year, the Pacers roster is definitely in flux. Oladipo's timetable to return is uncertain, Tyreke Evans has been dismissed from the team, 3 starters are unrestricted free agents (Thad Young, Bojan Bogdanovic and Darren Collison), and 2 solid contributors off the bench in Cory Joseph and Wesley Matthews are unrestricted free agents as well. So there is a lot that is up in the air! The good news is that you have an All Star in Oladipo when he is healthy, and two solid young centers in Turner and Sabonis.

The Pacers should set a priority on resigning Bojan Bogdanovic (18.0 PPG., 49.7 FG% and 42.5 3P%). He is going to be a hot commodity and if they want to stay competitive in the East they should do what they can to get him back! They can't afford to lose both of Darren Collison and Cory Joseph as they will be completely depleted at PG, so I would also try to resign both of these guys if possible, but put a priority on Collison. Looking at the other free agents at PG, keeping these two guys makes the most sense if the price is right for both.

Thad Young is the other UFA that is going to be on the radar of a lot of teams. By adding Grant Williams the Pacers can slide him into the starting role left by Young and hopefully retain about 75% of the offensive production that Young provided, and not lose much on the defensive end as Williams is a top notch defender.

Grant had a great season at Tennessee averaging 18.8 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 3.2 APG, 58% EFG and 32.6% 3PT% and was an early frontrunner for NPOT. He has a high basketball IQ on both ends of the floor, is tough and physical, and a hard working, unselfish player.Ultimately Grant has the skill set and mentality to be a great glue guy that can slide into a starting role and do all of the intangibles that the Pacers need! He reminds me a bit of Draymond or PJ Tucker, and we have seen a lot of success with players like these, especially in the playoffs!

JasonEvans
06-07-2019, 07:40 PM
The New Jersey, oops, Brooklyn, Nets made the playoffs this year with a fairly young squad. We have some good young pieces to build around. I may go into more detail in future picks as this one is going to Atlanta, as we traded it to them to dump Allan Crabbe’s salary. I was originally hoping one of the Gonzaga forwards, or the French forward would still be around at this spot, but when they were all gone, I figured I would go Canadian and take Alexander-Walker. Unfortunately, those plans were foiled. I might as well stick with a Canadian and pick the second ever player in the first round to have played in the NCAA and never started a game. With the 17th pick, the Brooklyn Nets select Mfiondu Kabengele. . I might add more later, but don’t want everyone waiting more than they already have.

As the Atlanta GM, I will say that I gave NSDukeFan an idea of the kind of players the Hawks want as well as a few names of players I thought made sense and fit that profile. Kabangele was one of those and the Hawks are pleased the Nets helped us out with this pick.

JasonEvans
06-07-2019, 07:48 PM
With the 18th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers select Grant Williams, forward, University of Tennessee!

I'm not saying I hate this pick, but I think in the real draft Grant Williams will still be around well after the #18th pick (and probably after the 1st round is done). Williams doesn't have great length and does not appear to be a guy who is going to take and make a lot of NBA 3s (hit 32% of his 3s this season and only attempted about 1.2 2FGs per game, not a guy who is comfortable out there... though he is a good FT shooter). I feel like his game is not the kind of game the NBA is playing these days.

-Jason "I could be wrong... certainly would not be the first time" Evans

Troublemaker
06-08-2019, 12:05 AM
What do people think about Morant's defense? Watching him in the NCAA Tournament, it seemed like he made no effort whatsoever. Didn't stay with his man, never raised his arms, etc. His rebond numbers were good for a PG only because he was usually closer to the basket than you'd expect. I love his motor an PG skills on O, but IMHO he will get abused on the defensive end.

No doubt, Morant's defense was awful. Because he carried such a huge offensive load for his team, it's possible he was just told to rest on the defensive end. Or maybe his D will just continue to be bad in the NBA and additionally he ends up not being able to shoot from the longer line -- that's the path to Morant being a bust. (But almost everyone has such a path).

Billy Dat
06-08-2019, 10:31 AM
We in the San Antonio Spurs front office took a long time to make this pick because we were so depressed watching our former future, Kawhi Leonard, dominate Game 4 of the NBA Finals to put his Toronto Raptors within one game of the NBA Championship. How did it all go wrong? We'll be asking that question for a long time. We didn't want to make our pick in that horrendously foggy state of mind. But, a good night's sleep after a six pack of Kunstler Brewing's (https://www.kuenstlerbrewing.com/beer-list) Verklemmt Pilsner (there were some tears shed during that 3rd Quarter blitz) has us now, in the cold light of day, prepared to move forward.

But do we move forward (youth movement) or try and make another run at the title? After all, Darryl Morey says if you even have a 5% chance at the title, you have to go for it.

LaMarcus Aldrige is 34 with two years owed. DeMar DeRozan is 30 with two years owed. Those are our "max" guys that combine to take $50MM of our cap. Patty Mills is the only other player above $10MM per, and he's 31, and he has two years left. Pau is owed only $6.7MM next year. Our cap situation is good.

The future of the team is with our guards, Derrick White and Dejounte Murray (and maybe Lonnie Walker, but we don't know).

We need 3 and D shooting at the wing spot (Rudy Gay is 33). We potentially need some bigs, but will we finally enter the modern age with modern bigs or will we still stick with traditional non-3-point-shooting dudes?

What we really need is The Claw, Board Men Get Paid, the braided wonder who is burnishing his legend in the North and...

Sorry...it's hard.

Everyone thinks of us as always drafting non-US players, which makes you think we might bite on Goga. But we've been going American lately, and that trend is going to continue. We are a little scared off by Romeo Langford's wrist, and while we really respect Cam Johnson and think he may be the best shooter in the draft, the guy typing has a very hard time picking a Tar Heel when there are other options available...not that a Wildcat is any better, but I want that shooting, so with the 19th pick in the DBR NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select Tyler Herro from Kentucky.

flyingdutchdevil
06-08-2019, 02:32 PM
...the Celtics select Ty Jerome from the University of Virginia. Underrated athlete, underrated defender, good shooter, tough guy.

A little surprised he’s still on the board. He fits the Celtics plan: get a solid PG back up.

We like this pick. No plans on trading him.

Gooch
06-08-2019, 03:01 PM
...the Celtics select Ty Jerome from the University of Virginia. Underrated athlete, underrated defender, good shooter, tough guy.

A little surprised he’s still on the board. He fits the Celtics plan: get a solid PG back up.

We like this pick. No plans on trading him.

I like this pick...high IQ good shooter that should stick in the league for a while. He’ll need to work on defense and I think he will.

accfanfrom1970
06-08-2019, 03:20 PM
The Thunder need shooters, but Herro and Bol Bol, Jerome and Alexander-Walker are all gone. There is talk Ok City is another team looking to trade their pick and try and dump salary like the Nets did. I don't know all the rules around stashing European players, and thought about taking Deividas Sirvydis. He will turn 19 in a couple of days, 6'8" and is a smooth shooting lefty. If they can't trade the pick maybe they could stash him another year, but I'm not sure. So the easy and probably best shooter to take with the 21st pick is Cam Johnson (yuck, taking a uNC player). Not much to else say since we all know him, despise him, and know he can shoot. Also thought about Romeo, but his shooting numbers are bad.

JasonEvans
06-08-2019, 03:24 PM
For those of you not keeping track at home...

Round 1
Milwaukee Bucks - Turk

Round 2
Phoenix Suns - brevity
Dallas Mavericks - kAzE
Chicago Bulls - CDu
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Utah Jazz - furniture
Sacramento Kings - tfk53

-Jason "Romeo Langford enduring a serious slide. I heard he was crying in the green room, but I have not been able to confirm that. Keldon Johnson of Kentucky is another guy who thought he would be off the board long before this" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
06-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Romeo Langford? Kevin Porter? Keldon Jonson?

It doesn’t really matter. They are all the same.

So with the 22nd pick in the draft, the Celtics select Kevin Porter from USC. Highest risk, highest reward.

For the love of god, can we trade this pick?

Furniture
06-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Utah Jazz select Carsen Edwards from Perdue University.

You’ll probably remember Carsen for his shooting performance against Virginia in that Elite 8 battle. He finished the game with a game-high 42 points on 14-of-25 shooting from the floor and an incredible 10-of-19 from deep. He made jaw-dropping shot after jaw-dropping shot to give the eventual NCAA Champion Cavaliers all that they could handle.
In Edward’s incredible postseason run he surpassed an NCAA record formerly held by current NBA superstar Steph Curry for the most points scored in the first four rounds of the NCAA Tournament. Curry’s record was 128 points while Edwards posted an amazing 139. The postseason wasn’t merely an outlier as Edwards averaged 24.3 points per game on a respectable mark of 35.5 percent from deep.
Since Ricky Rubio is on his way out, Raul Neto’s future is questionable and Dante Exum is consistently unable to remain on the floor due to injury, Carsen is exactly what the Jazz are looking for.

JasonEvans
06-08-2019, 08:20 PM
My source in the Green room reports that Romeo Langford is on the phone with Archie Miller right now asking if he would be allowed to come back to IU to improve his stock.

roywhite
06-08-2019, 08:24 PM
My source in the Green room reports that Romeo Langford is on the phone with Archie Miller right now asking if he would be allowed to come back to IU to improve his stock.

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Alas, headed to the 2nd round.

PackMan97
06-08-2019, 11:07 PM
I would like to remind all GM's that star NC State recruit, Jalen Lecque, is still available for teams needing a PG of the future.

Bob Green
06-09-2019, 06:11 AM
The 76ers need to add shooters so with the 24th pick they select Dylan Windler from Belmont.

BD80
06-09-2019, 07:49 AM
I would like to remind all GM's that star NC State recruit, Jalen Lecque, is still available for teams needing a PG of the future.

Isn't he known as "D" Lecque?

Gooch
06-09-2019, 11:23 AM
I generally kept an eye on the Blazers this year with Seth and Rodney on the roster and followed the team’s playoff run pretty closely this year. So when they lost to the Warriors and I was tapped as GM-for-a-day, I already had a fair sense of what they might need for the roster.

Of course Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are the guard pairing of the present and immediate future for the team. It looks like Seth might test the free agent market, but the Blazers have veteran Evan Turner and rookies Anfernee Simons and Gary Trent, Jr. (keep it in the brotherhood!) that they hope can backup the guard slots. Young Bigs like Zach Collins and Meyers Leonard produced pretty well late in the season, especially after Jusuf Nurkic’s injury (and he will hopefully be back at full strength).

That leaves wings…Rodney played well during the playoffs but has been inconsistent and he becomes a free agent after next year. Al-Farouk Aminu and Maurice Harkless are solid, but the Blazers need to add shooting on the wing to improve floor spacing. Since they are limited in cap space to improve with free agents or trades and they only have one pick in this draft, they will look for a 3-and-D specialist who could contribute a little this year and be ready if Hood leaves next year would be the best fit for the roster.

With the 25th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, the Portland Trail Blazers select: Keldon Johnson from the University of Kentucky.

Johnson can finish at the rim after attacking a closeout, he is strong in transition, and scouts like his motor. He shot 38% from 3-pt range last year, although he only shot 70% on free throws and his shot mechanics are not textbook so there's some concern about his shooting. He’ll need to work to adjust to the NBA-level defensive schemes, but he won’t need to play a huge role as a rookie so he’ll have some time. He isn’t super-long (wingspan 6’ 9”) and only stands 6’ 6”—as someone astutely posted earlier, Johnson seems like a high floor, low ceiling draftee that seems like a good value/roster fit for the 25th pick.

Also considered/wanted at 25:
Cam Johnson - almost glad he wasn't available because he is a good fit for Portland; I probably would have held my nose and picked him
Dylan Windler - love the shooting and Portland has done well with picks from low-profile schools; a good pick for the 76ers just before this one
Romeo Langford - while researching I didn’t even consider he would fall this far, so I was very tempted; in the end seemed too risky with the poor shooting
Chuma Okeke - probably more upside than Johnson but not as ready now and didn’t want the injury risk
Matisse Thybulle - love the D and could have good upside with work on shooting (and the west coast school and hipster-y name fits with Portland).

I was pretty sure Thybulle would be the pick at 25 (and I had half a write-up done). The Blazers are excited that Keldon Johnson was still available this late in the draft.

JasonEvans
06-09-2019, 11:40 AM
The Blazers are excited that Keldon Johnson was still available this late in the draft.

He was one of my suggestions for the #17 pick when advising the Nets about what the Hawks might want.

jacone21
06-09-2019, 12:50 PM
With the 26th pick, the Cavaliers select Bruno Fernando out of Maryland.

He is a big dude, 6'10" 240 with a 7'4" wingspan. He's really mobile and explosive for his size and has a great motor. Like Jarrett Culver, he is on an upward trajectory. Hopefully he'll continue to improve his shooting, which is possible, since he shoots almost 80% from the line. Bruno is rated all over the place by the various "experts." But we're elated to pick him up at 26.

JasonEvans
06-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Word from the green room is that the catering staff has been told to clear all the knives away from Romeo Langford’s table.

Bob Green
06-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Word from the green room is that the catering staff has been told to clear all the knives away from Romeo Langford’s table.

The real NBA Draft could be just as tough on Romeo Langford as the DBR Mock Draft. Bottom line is he cannot shoot and that is a bad trait for today's NBA.

brlftz
06-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Yeah, not high on him at all. What’s the thing he does so well that would make him expect to go lottery?

NSDukeFan
06-09-2019, 06:25 PM
The Brooklyn Nets select Goga Bitadze with the 27th pick.. We are trying to keep from having to play Ed Davis significant minutes, though he actually did rebound well for the team this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lack of draft focus as I was out all day as we have had the first days in the 70s all year this weekend and I ran a half marathon race that went as well as I hoped this morning.

awhom111
06-10-2019, 01:08 AM
The Warriors head into the offseason with significantly more uncertainty than recent seasons. The possibility of a star exit seems real, but will not be resolved before the draft. The key bench players in our run are getting older and are pretty much non-entities during the regular season even if they come back next year. Some difficult decisions will also have to be made with our other free agents. We have found gems in this part of the draft in recent years and could really use another find this time. Our success in the lower salary free agent market has generally been finding bigs so a guard makes this most sense with this pick, but a couple of players have slipped that we felt that we could not let pass our position. Our draft is moving so impressively quickly that I am taking a risk for a player that could still withdraw.

We will never really know if the Duke rumors were true last summer, but I am picking Luka Samanic, a Croatian post player who has shown flashes of offensive promise, but never really consistently put it all together at a high level. That talent is worth the risk with us not feeling sure of the remaining more developed players available at this point. While he could get spot minutes right away, he will probably need minutes with Santa Cruz to put him on the right track for the future.

Billy Dat
06-10-2019, 07:06 AM
We here in Alamo City aren't going to overthink this one.

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I'll no longer be a Dat. Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this? 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy: thou art thyself, though not a Langford.

With the 29th pick in the 2019 DBR NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select Romeo Langford.

Always forced to find the hidden gem late in the first round, we truly believe that lottery talent just fell into our lap. We strongly considered Romeo with our 19th pick and are thrilled to be able to grab him 10 picks later.

Chip Engelland can fix his broken shot, the docs are fixing his broken hand/wrist, and he's already got the physical tools and measurables to battle elite NBA wings and he's a gifted scorer with the kind of instincts you can't teach. His other primary negatives, ball stopping, off-ball standing around and general lack of defensive awareness, will be addressed by the royal jelly enviroment that the Spurs have carefully built under Buford and Pop.

flyingdutchdevil
06-10-2019, 07:08 AM
We here in Alamo City aren't going to overthink this one.

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I'll no longer be a Dat. Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this? 'Tis but thy name that is my enemy: thou art thyself, though not a Langford.

With the 29th pick in the 2019 DBR NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select Romeo Langford.

Always forced to find the hidden gem late in the first round, we truly believe that lottery talent just fell into our lap. We strongly considered Romeo with our 19th pick and are thrilled to be able to grab him 10 picks later.

Chip Engelland can fix his broken shot, the docs are fixing his broken hand/wrist, and he's already got the physical tools and measurables to battle elite NBA wings and he's a gifted scorer with the kind of instincts you can't teach. His other primary negatives, ball stopping, off-ball standing around and general lack of defensive awareness, will be addressed by the royal jelly enviroment that the Spurs have carefully built under Buford and Pop.

If there is any team that can extract the most potential from Langford, it's the Spurs. He's be a really good player if he gets drafted by them. The kid needs guidance.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2019, 07:44 AM
His other primary negatives, ball stopping, off-ball standing around and general lack of defensive awareness, will be addressed by the royal jelly enviroment that the Spurs have carefully built under Buford and Pop.

Coach K and Pop don't exactly see eye to eye on the royal jelly approach......

Billy Dat
06-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Coach K and Pop don't exactly see eye to eye on the royal jelly approach...

I don't know...I think they are probably very similar. I am using the David Thorpe definition of "royal jelly" briefly described here and elaborated upon in the podcast that this short blog post links to:

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/36199/nba-today-david-thorpe

Truth&Justise
06-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Romeo Langford? Kevin Porter? Keldon Jonson?

It doesn’t really matter. They are all the same.

I feel like this is one of those quote's that's going to look silly in hindsight when those three end up with wildly divergent careers.

But at this point I also couldn't tell you which one will be which!

JasonEvans
06-10-2019, 10:56 AM
And here is where we stand...

Round 1
Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan -----> Goga Bitadze, Georgia (the country, not the state/university)
Milwaukee Bucks - Turk -----> Nick Claxton, Georgia (the university, not the country)

Round 2
Chicago Bulls - CDu
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Utah Jazz - furniture
Sacramento Kings - tfk53

Turk
06-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Before we get into the pick, can you imagine what this year's playoffs would have looked like if the Bucks had chosen Joel Embiid over Jabari Parker in 2014, like a wise mock GM once did in the DBR draft? JoJo and Giannis on the same team? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, the Bucks are extremely pleased with how the pieces came together to have the best record in the Eastern Conference, and are looking to run it back. We're locked in with Giannis and Eric Bledsoe, and we feel confident we can re-sign Malcolm Brogdon. The big question mark will be Khris Middleton, who will decline his player option and test the open market, as arguably the second most valuable Buck behind Giannis. The third piece of the puzzle will be Brook Lopez, who will also expect a big raise because of the critical role he played spacing the floor with his three point shooting. Realistically, we need to prepare for losing either Middleton or Lopez, so our long-term need is for bigs who can shoot (just like practically every other team in the league). Nikola Mirotic is an overrated free agent and not worth what he will make elsewhere.

We were hoping that Gogo Bitbucket or Bruno "Sammartino" Fernando would slide down to us, but we had a choice of a few bigs with Tremendous Upside Potential that can help the Bucks stay at the top of the East, especially after Contract Kawhi leaves Toronto and the Sixers lose more than half their roster for the tenth year in a row.

With the 30th pick in the 2019 DBR NBA Draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select Nicolas "Speedy 2.0" Claxton, University of Georgia.

Claxton did well at the combine and has been moving up the draft boards. At 6'11", he led the SEC in blocked shots, and he is able to switch onto smaller players. Claxton finishes well around the rim and shows a high basketball IQ with interior passing. He was a 30% 3-pt shooter, and we feel he can develop into an adequate outside shooter. The plan is for us to get him in the weight room and stuff him with cheese curds and other fine Wisconsin dairy products. He may contribute some minutes as part of a deeper rotation next season, but we do not expect, nor do we need, immediate help with this pick.

P.S. Someone please zspork Billy Dat for me - that Romeo riff was brilliant. Shakespeare and DBR Mock Draft - it's FANNNN-TASTIC!

NSDukeFan
06-10-2019, 12:15 PM
With the first pick of the second round (31st overall)the Brooklyn Nets select KZ Okpala from Stanford. We are intrigued by his potential as a versatile defender with his 7 foot plus wingspan and his potential to continue to improve his shooting.

brevity
06-10-2019, 12:56 PM
This is the "I thought he would go in the first round" portion of the draft, where the reality of math sets in, and the phrase "30 for 30" can be taken literally. College seniors have fallen out of fashion, but sometimes they make good NBA reserves, because their game is fairly well-defined and they have a few more years of emotional and physical maturity. The Pac-12 has also fallen out of fashion, but Matisse Thybulle of Washington was a rare bright spot, winning the Naismith award for Defensive Player of the Year. The Suns select him for the #32 pick.

The Suns (and new coach Monty Williams) will appreciate a defensive specialist who can come off the bench to contribute immediately. Thybulle projects as a desirable 3-and-D player, but his outside shooting percentage fell in his senior season, which we hope is an anomaly. Still, this feels like a value pick for early in the second round.

Note: we also considered a bunch of big men to back up DeAndre Ayton, including LSU's Naz Reid, just so the two could compare legal notes and illicit college paystubs.

Bob Green
06-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Philadelphia 76ers take...

#33 - Terance Mann from Florida State. This Mock GM has always liked Mann so this is a gut selection. Mann is a smart player with good athleticism who can help on both ends of the court. His jump shot will need to improve for him to succeed at the NBA level, but we really like his on court leadership potential.

#34 - Tacko Fall from Central Florida. Fall is being selected as a player who can give Embiid a few minutes rest here and there. This is a potential selection. Fall has upside if he can continue to develop. We are willing to roll the dice.

Reddevil
06-10-2019, 06:14 PM
So what happens when Jason breaks the four hour rule?:p
Just kidding. I hope all is well. Probably in Atlanta traffic...but still...

JasonEvans
06-10-2019, 06:53 PM
So what happens when Jason breaks the four hour rule?:p
Just kidding. I hope all is well. Probably in Atlanta traffic...but still...

Sorry... didn't realize it would get to me so quickly and have been very busy. Will have my picks very soon! Or let another mod make my pick for me!

JasonEvans
06-10-2019, 07:11 PM
With the 35th pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select...

Naz Reid, PF, LSU

A team that has multiple picks is the perfect team to take a chance on Reid, who unquestionably has first round talent and skills, but sometimes has an undrafted free-agent kind of head. He needs to work on his toughness and decision-making... but when he actually decides to play, he is a force. 6-10 with a 7-2 wingspan but not the kind of skinny kid who can be pushed around. He has the talent to step outside and hit shots (33% on 3s and 73% on FTs) and can finish around the rim with authority. Not great footspeed on defense or explosion -- if he had those attributes then he would be a lottery pick -- but we are talking about a early/mid 2nd rounder here so he can't have everything.

-Jason "I'm betting he spends much of his rookie season in the G-league but I can afford to take a risk on a boom or bust pick at this point" Evans

P.S. - I wanted Tacko Fall... badly!

Bob Green
06-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Sorry... didn't realize it would get to me so quickly...

I almost reported you to the Commissioner. :cool:

BD80
06-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Chip Engelland can fix his broken shot, the docs are fixing his broken hand/wrist, ...

A lot of fixing, but if anyone can do it …

Amusing that they take one of the best shooters, and one of the worst shooters in the draft. Maybe if they ran full speed into each other they could form a player with the best attributes of each.

#33 - Terance Mann from Florida State. This Mock GM has always liked Mann so this is a gut selection. Mann is a smart player with good athleticism who can help on both ends of the court. His jump shot will need to improve for him to succeed at the NBA level, but we really like his on court leadership potential.

#34 - Tacko Fall from Central Florida. Fall is being selected as a player who can give Embiid a few minutes rest here and there. This is a potential selection. Fall has upside if he can continue to develop. We are willing to roll the dice.

I would have selected them in the opposite order. But I guess I can see Mann up and Tacko fall.

JNort
06-10-2019, 09:52 PM
I would have selected them in the opposite order. But I guess I can see Mann up and Tacko fall.

Ba-dumm-tss

JNort
06-10-2019, 10:01 PM

I like Tacko but if the real 76ers dont use every pick on shooters I think it will be a big mistake. They already got a giant of a man (Boban- 7'3" 290lbs) backing up Embid. That teams weakness is lack of shooting and they might not have JJ back.

JNort
06-11-2019, 05:24 AM
With the 36th Pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Charlotte Hornets select . . .

Talen Horton-Tucker

Only 2 more days... Er nights left on my night shift schedule and I promise I will have write ups for these picks. Not used to this schedule so I don't have much free time atm. Thanks for understanding.

kAzE
06-11-2019, 11:47 AM
With the only pick we have in this year's draft, the Mavericks are excited to welcome the versatile forward from Auburn. Okeke is still recovering from the ACL injury he suffered 3 months ago in the NCAA tournament, and likely will not be playing for most (if not all) of this next season. But as a rebuilding team, we are willing to be patient, and are optimistic that he will make a full recovery and be ready to contribute by the 2020-21 season at the latest. Our franchise is currently on the path to building a contender, and we think that Okeke could eventually become an extremely valuable role player on a playoff roster.

Chuma Okeke is a 6'8" forward with a 7'0" wingspan, and weighs 230 pounds. He's a powerful and athletic defender/rebounder who really gets after it on the court. He was arguably the best player on a team that went to the Final Four last year. He has also shown some good shooting ability, and our hope is that he eventually becomes something like our version of PJ Tucker: a versatile defender, capable of matching up with either forward position, and even guarding centers in a pinch, while also having the ability to stretch the floor with his shooting ability.

With Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis, we have acquired a pair of star talents that we hope to build around, and we think Okeke could be great fit with them down the road.

CDu
06-11-2019, 03:54 PM
With pick #38, the E-Bulls select Daniel Gafford, 6’11” C from Arkansas.. Gafford flirted with the league last year before returning. That may have turned out to be a mistake, as he was a fringe first last year and is at best a fringe first this year. He fits as the third big (eventually) in a rotation with Carter Jr and Markkanen, providing energy, shotblocking, and diving to the rim on pick and rolls. Ultimately, we felt this was a one PG draft, and we were too far down the list to fill the PG need in the draft. So we will take a guy who has a solid chance to stick as a rotation big with our second pick.

Reddevil
06-11-2019, 06:51 PM
With the 39th pick, the Pelicans add SG/SF Admiral Schofield.
Some say he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. This is only because he does not draw as many fouls driving to the basket as one would expect from a 6'5", 240 lb wing. He often settles for pull up jumpers instead of causing contact. That is fine because he will learn those nuances with full time playing and coaching. What he provides right now is shooting. He just shot 42% from three at Tennessee last season. He is a good passer, rebounder, and leader. Make no mistake, Admiral is not soft. He just hasn't perfected how to combine his max athleticism with his linebacker build. He will learn alongside another specimen in first round pick Zion Williamson. By the way, Admiral is from Zion, Illinois. Watching Duke and the Lakers this year demonstrated how important surrounding playmakers with shooters is. Schofield can both spot up, and create his own space. He will become a playmaker as he progresses, but we will take his marksmanship now.

tfk53
06-11-2019, 10:14 PM
As the Sacramento Kings GM, I was able to sit back and enjoy a couple cold ones (Hummin' Bird Lager from Red Oak) while other teams battled it out in the first round. My efforts to parlay my three 2nd round picks (#40,47, and 60) into a first round pick fell far too short, even with the thought of dangling the $24 mil/year contract of Harrison Barnes out there for other GMs as additional bait. So it goes...

Thus, I had to finally leave the bar and get to work in the second round. Chances of finding an all-star or even a starter at this point in the draft are slim – we are looking for at least one of these 3 picks to become a rotation player. Getting one to do that would be a decent draft – having two would be a great draft.

My Kings surprised some folks in 2018-19, finishing third in the Pacific at 39-43. A more exciting team than expected. Lots of promising young players – De’Aaron Fox, Marvin Bagley III, Harry Giles III, Buddy Hield. Only 3 on the roster are older than 27. But , like all teams, there are needs. They focus on 3 areas. First is finding Fox a backup point guard – Yogi Ferrell and Frank Mason III (Kings with three players with III in their name - ? an NBA record?) are small in size, not consistent or dependable producers on court, and fair to poor at the 33-pointline. Second is better production at the SF position – Barnes had a decent year, 40% from three after coming to the Kings mid-season. Corey Brewer at back up is slowing down at age 33 and is only a career 28% from three. Third area of need is help at the 5. Cauley-Stein is limited on the defensive end and only 61% FT. Koufos, an 11-year veteran, as back up only averaged 12 min a game as the Kings often used 2 of their power forwards.

So, with my preamble complete, the Sacramento Kings select in the #40 spot, Isaiah Roby from the University of Nebraska - their first draft pick in 20 years!

An athletic 6-8 and 230# with a 7-3 wingspan, he will be able to make defensive contributions by being able to guard 2 through 4. He averaged 1.9 blocks and 1.5 steals a game last season as a junior. Shooting is suspect with only 33% from 3 - however, the Kings do not need him to be an offensive threat. We are intrigued by his motor and feel he has potential to become a solid NBA rotation player.

JasonEvans
06-11-2019, 10:33 PM
The latest...

Round 1

Round 2
Sacramento Kings - tfk53
Utah Jazz - furniture
Sacramento Kings - tfk53

JasonEvans
06-11-2019, 10:40 PM
With the 41st pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Kyle Guy, PG, Virginia.

Look, I know this pick is a reach, but how can you not love Guy's game? Kid is a tough as nails, fundamental defender who is a lights out shooter. He hit 42% of his 3s, often shooting from longer than the NBA 3 point line, and hit 83% of his FTs, which is a great indication that his long range success will translate to the next level. He may not have the physical tools of most other kids in the draft, but I like his grit and the Hawks only need him to be 10 minutes per game backing up Trae Young.

--Jason "give me a winner who works his butt off all day, every day, at this point in the draft" Evans

Bob Green
06-12-2019, 04:51 AM
With the 42nd pick, the Philadelphia 76ers select Louis King, SF, University of Oregon.

King is very athletic, a player who can finish at the rim, but most important he is a solid shooter making 39% on 3 PT FG and 78% at the line. King addresses the 76ers need to add shooters to the roster.

JNort
06-12-2019, 07:31 AM
With the 41st pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Kyle Guy, PG, Virginia.

Look, I know this pick is a reach, but how can you not love Guy's game? Kid is a tough as nails, fundamental defender who is a lights out shooter. He hit 42% of his 3s, often shooting from longer than the NBA 3 point line, and hit 83% of his FTs, which is a great indication that his long range success will translate to the next level. He may not have the physical tools of most other kids in the draft, but I like his grit and the Hawks only need him to be 10 minutes per game backing up Trae Young.

--Jason "give me a winner who works his butt off all day, every day, at this point in the draft" Evans

Not sure anyone is a reach in the 2nd round, it's kind of now or never. Heck probably safe to say nobody is a reach after the lottery.

BD80
06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Not sure anyone is a reach in the 2nd round, it's kind of now or never. Heck probably safe to say nobody is a reach after the lottery.

So you're telling me there's a chance ...

awhom111
06-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Here is the final early entry list for those who were looking at internationals in the late part of the draft:
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/06/11/47-international-early-entry-candidates-withdraw-draft-official-release

Edouble
06-12-2019, 11:00 AM
With the 43rd pick in the 2019 DBR NBA Mock Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Moses Brown of UCLA.

We're swinging for the fences a bit here, but that's what the second round is all about right? You can't teach size and to some extend, speed.

If we can get a good shot doctor and a good strength coach to work with young 7'2", 240 lb. Moses, who knows? Brown averaged close to a double double in his one year at UCLA (9.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 blocks per game) and could be a great second unit defender sooner rather than later.

JasonEvans
06-12-2019, 11:56 AM
With pick #44, the Atlanta Hawks select Luguentz Dort, a wing from Arizona State and Bobby Hurley.

Dort, who is one of many young prospects making waves from Canada, could see his name called much earlier than this on the night of the real draft. I'm getting good value here with a kid who is a tenacious defender and a talented scorer at just 19 years old. He's 6-5 with a 6-8.5 wingspan and his body looks like it was the model for a statue of a Greek god. In the first couple months of the season, he looked like a lottery pick. But, he is wildly inconsistent, can be maddeningly tunnel visioned with the ball, and his shooting runs hot and cold (that's why he is not a lottery pick). The Hawks will almost certainly stash him in the G-League while he matures a bit more. In Kyle Guy we took a guard who may be able to help us right away... now we take a guard who will take some seasoning. That is what the 2nd round is all about.

roywhite
06-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Any GMs with remaining 2nd round choices scouting Jalen McDaniels?

Happened to watch the re-run of the Duke vs San Diego State game from Maui last night, and Bilas and company talked about him as an NBA prospect
He's a slim 6'9" with a good all-around game, averaged 15.9, 8.3 rebounds, and 2.1 assists; shot nearly 76% from the line over 2 years
He's got some personal baggage.
https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/06/07/former-sdsu-basketball-star-admits-filming-sex-videos/

And there's Caleb and Cody Martin, from Nevada by way of NC State and Mocksville, NC

Just throwing out a few names for 2nd round shoppers

Spanarkel
06-12-2019, 12:36 PM
The real NBA Draft could be just as tough on Romeo Langford as the DBR Mock Draft. Bottom line is he cannot shoot and that is a bad trait for today's NBA.

Langford shot 79% from FT line and 36% from 3 in high school. He played all but 6 games at IU in '18-'19 with a torn ligament in his right thumb(sustained just prior to IU's game at CIS)which has required off-season surgery.

He has better shooting mechanics than Cam Reddish(elevates much better/release point is much higher/squares his body to the rim consistently).

If Langford goes 29th or worse in the draft I'll secure you two halfcourt/lower level seats to the '20 FF in ATL.

FerryFor50
06-12-2019, 08:43 PM
With the 45th pick of the draft, the Detroit Pistons select...

PF Chuma Okeke, Auburn

Okeke tore his ACL in the 2019 NCAA Tournament, but his defensive instincts and 3-point shooting scream first-round talent. With Blake Griffin entrenched at PF, the Pistons can afford to wait for Okeke to recover.

sagegrouse
06-12-2019, 08:56 PM

PF Chuma Okeke, Auburn

Okeke tore his ACL in the 2019 NCAA Tournament, but his defensive instincts and 3-point shooting scream first-round talent. With Blake Griffin entrenched at PF, the Pistons can afford to wait for Okeke to recover.

Unfortunately, Okeke was already selected with 37th pick.

FerryFor50
06-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Argh. Mods, delete that last one pls. 😁

FerryFor50
06-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Luka Samanic, SF Croatia

6’11” with some handles and a solid 3 point shot gives the Pistons some flexibility off the bench when Blake Griffin has to sit.

tfk53
06-12-2019, 10:13 PM

Luka Samanic, SF Croatia

6’11” with some handles and a solid 3 point shot gives the Pistons some flexibility off the bench when Blake Griffin has to sit.

Sorry again - he was picked #28 by Golden State

Furniture
06-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Argh. Mods, delete that last one pls. 😁

Don’t feel bad Ferry. I was so worried about doing the same thing...Now I won’t feel so bad if I do it on my 53rd pick....

brevity
06-12-2019, 11:40 PM

PF Chuma Okeke, Auburn

Luka Samanic, SF Croatia

Sorry again - he was picked #28 by Golden State

Nearly 12 hours gone, and all the mock Pistons have to show for it are two attempts at picks that have already been made.

Are we sure that the REAL Pistons haven't hacked into FerryFor50's DBR account?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-13-2019, 12:01 AM
Nearly 12 hours gone, and all the mock Pistons have to show for it are two attempts at picks that have already been made.

Are we sure that the REAL Pistons haven't hacked into FerryFor50's DBR account?

Obviously, they should pick Zion.

coldriver10
06-13-2019, 09:28 AM
I keep checking this thread waiting to make my pick (I'm next up). And I fully predict that once it's actually go time, I will forget. DBR mock draft Murphy's law, if you will.

JasonEvans
06-13-2019, 11:31 AM
We have been moving at a brisk pace and there is plenty of time to get the draft done so I am not going to "call the clock" on FerryFor50 just yet. He has been emailed so he will hopefully come over and make his pick soon.

FerryFor50
06-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Yeesh. I’m bad at this. I blame the mobile interface and being on vacation. 😁

So I’ll make this short to get things rolling again. (Sorry all)

Pistons pick PG Jalen Lecque.

JasonEvans
06-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Round 1

Round 2
Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans) -----> Eric Paschall, Villanova
Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen -----> Brian Bowen, Louisville/Adidas/South Carolina/Sydney Kings
Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans) -----> Terrence Davis, Ole Miss
Sacramento Kings - tfk53

coldriver10
06-13-2019, 04:24 PM
With the 46th pick, the Orlando Magic select Shamorie Ponds, PG, St. John's.

We love how he pushes the pace and is a self-described "bucket-getter", something we need more of on our team. He also has shown to be a capable passer, having averaged 5.1 assists/gm this past year on a mediocre St. John's team. We considered a few big men at this pick as well as a rising point guard in Jordan Bone, however we feel Ponds will help our team the most from day 1.

tfk53
06-13-2019, 06:16 PM
For the 47th pick, Sacramento picks UCLA's Jaylen Hands, a 6-3 explosive PG with 2 years of college ball behind him. A decent shooter at 37% from three and 78% at the line. He averaged 14 ppg, 6.1 apg, and 3.4 rpg. He had 1 steal/game and is able to break up passing lanes, at least at the college level. He will give the Kings a bigger and more physical back up point guard although I expect him to gather some G league time in his first year. Point guard quality has been at the lower end of things this draft so any PG in the second round is a crapshoot.

As the Kings GM, it is now time for another beer to await my last pick at #60. I am hoping no one steals that pick from me!

JasonEvans
06-14-2019, 07:49 AM
With the 48th pick in the DBR mock draft, The LA Clippers select forward Eric Paschall of Villanova.

Jeff Evans (my brother, a Clippers season ticket holder) says: "The Clippers love hard workers who show savvy on the floor and are not afraid to use their bodies to get an advantage. Paschall, who some say could be a late first round pick, fits that mold to a T. He's not going to be a big scorer, but is capable of shooting from outside and finishing inside. But, what I really love is how hard he works on D and rebounding. At this point in the 2nd round, I know we probably aren't going to get a starter, but I think Paschall is the kind of guy who can be a capable back up and bring the same kind of intensity to the floor that Montrezl Harrell does."

-Jason "Jeff also says the Clips will be signing Kawhi Leonard and his season tickets are going to skyrocket in value" Evans

Billy Dat
06-14-2019, 08:35 AM
The Spurs had, Mr. Paschall #1 on our Big Board so kudos to Jeff Evans for crushing our dreams, as if it wasn't bad enough that we had to watch the Claw put his big bad paws all over the Larry OB and the Billy Russell trophies last night. We are getting too used to disappointment in San Antonio. We had to call in extra people to help peel DeMar off the floor after he facetimed with Kyle Lowry around 2AM.

We used our first two picks on shooting wings, because that is what we need. We are also thin in the frontcourt, and the traditional Spurs move would be to grab a big guy to set screens, protect the rim, and operate in the low post. But I do feel like it is finally time to get stretchier as a team, and at the pivot, if we can even call it that anymore.

With one pick left...we are torn.

The candidates are:

Darius Bazley - the high schooler who spurned Jim Boeheim and worked out for a year. Would a year in D1 have "exposed" him, or has the year away depressed the stock of this potential rotation guy? He's got all the athleticism, and Chip can probably hone that shot, which is already pretty good.

Jontay Porter, Missouri - another kid whose stock may be over-hampered by the injury that made him miss his sophomore year. He is a stretch 5. It seems like everyone in his family has knee problems though.

Deividas Sirvydas, Lietuvos Rytas - another stretchy wing whose YouTube clips in regular season Euro games tell me, what, exactly..he can hit spot up 3s. He's also 19.

To close out our 2019 DBR NBA Draft, the Spurs are going spend the 49th pick on Deividas Sirvydas of Lietuvos Rytas. We are scarred by Porter's knees and prize Sirvydas' shooting over Bazley's athleticism. Plus, while we are trying to change our ways, it is very Spursy to pick a 19 year old European who will likely remain in Europe for the time being.

CoBlueDevil
06-14-2019, 12:57 PM
With the 50th pick, the Indiana Pacers select Justin Robinson, point guard, Virginia Tech!

With the status of Darren Collison and Cory Joseph up in the air, the Pacers need a point guard on the roster. Justin's injury hampered him a bit this year, but his overall body of work at Tech is pretty impressive. He is a great three point shooter, and that asset is a premium in today's NBA. After watching an undrafted Fred VanVleet provide immense value in the Finals, Robinson seems like he could fit a similar role. We think this is good value in the second round!

flyingdutchdevil
06-15-2019, 08:01 AM
...the Celtics select Jontay Porter from Missouri. This is lottery talent with massive injury unknowns. In the late second round, not a bad idea to store this kind of talent.

JNort
06-15-2019, 10:57 AM
With the 52nd pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Charlotte Hornets select . . .

Darius Bazley

JasonEvans
06-15-2019, 04:54 PM
With the 52nd pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Charlotte Hornets select . . . Darius Bazley

Entirely possible this dude goes in the first round. A complete unknown who just needs a team to fall in love with his potential. How do you scout him when there is no film on him at all except playing against high schoolers?

...the Celtics select Jontay Porter from Missouri. This is lottery talent with massive injury unknowns. In the late second round, not a bad idea to store this kind of talent.

Side note-- how unlucky is Missouri? The Porter brothers are far and away the two most talented guys to step foot on that campus in the past decade and the school barely saw them play at all. Injuries... the worst!

Kedsy
06-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Entirely possible this dude goes in the first round. A complete unknown who just needs a team to fall in love with his potential. How do you scout him when there is no film on him at all except playing against high schoolers?

The same way every high school kid got scouted before the one-and-done rule?

BD80
06-15-2019, 05:26 PM
The same way every high school kid got scouted before the one-and-done rule?

Like Korleone Young?

Indoor66
06-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Like Korleone Young?

Or Don Corleone?

Furniture
06-15-2019, 07:13 PM
With the 53rd pick in the 2019 NBA draft...
Utah Jazz select Marques Bolden from Duke University.

No explanation needed.

Bob Green
06-15-2019, 10:23 PM
With the 54th pick in the 2019 DBR Mock Draft the Philadelphia 76ers select Brian Bowen, small forward, Sydney Kings. Bowen is another wing who has the ability to score. His scouting report says he is an elite scorer with solid size, length and athleticism. A player who can contribute on both ends of the court.

JasonEvans
06-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Ummm, Troublemaker got in some trouble and is on a short break from the DBR. But, before he left, he sent me the following PM:

For pick #55, the Knicks would like to draft Justin Wright-Foreman. Embed this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKczig-2MTE

The first half of the video shows him making great decision out of pick-n-roll. The second half of the video shows him making tons of threes off the dribble, some from very long distance. This guy will be a backup PG in the NBA. Shot 42% from 3 last season and 86% from FT. Can't do much better than this prospect with a late second-rounder.

JasonEvans
06-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Spoke to my bro and our conversation went like this:

Jason: "I'm not sure how, but Terrence Davis is still on the board. The Athletic, ESPN, CBS, and The Ringer all have him going in the low 30s or low 40s."
Jeff: "Who is he?"
Jason: "Ummmm (checks internet)... shooting guard for Ole Miss. 15+ ppg, 5+ rpg, hit 38% of his 3s and 78% of his FTs. He absolutely tore it up at the G League and the NBA combines."
Jeff: "Is he a toddler or an older dude? I think we want a more experienced player cause the Clips are good now and need folks who can contribute right away."
Jason: "He's a senior, 4 year player."
Jeff: "I love him already."

So, with pick #56, the LA Clippers take Terrence Davis from Ole Miss.

brevity
06-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Spoke to my bro and our conversation went like this:

Jason: "I'm not sure how, but Terrence Davis is still on the board. The Athletic, ESPN, CBS, and The Ringer all have him going in the low 30s or low 40s."
Jeff: "Who is he?"
Jason: "Ummmm (checks internet)... shooting guard for Ole Miss. 15+ ppg, 5+ rpg, hit 38% of his 3s and 78% of his FTs. He absolutely tore it up at the G League and the NBA combines."
Jeff: "Is he a toddler or an older dude? I think we want a more experienced player cause the Clips are good now and need folks who can contribute right away."
Jason: "He's a senior, 4 year player."
Jeff: "I love him already."

So, with pick #56, the LA Clippers take Terrence Davis from Ole Miss.

Is this tampering?

I guess I shouldn't complain, seeing as how I had a similar conversation with Magic Johnson before making my second round pick.

Reddevil
06-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Well looky what we did! Now that that is done we can get on with the rebuild. Near the end of the second round everyone is looking for role players and finalizing their undrafted free agent lists.

We considered PG Jordan Bone from the Volunteers. Something about Bone and New Orleans just seems right.

We also considered SG Miya Oni from Yale because we do need to add shooters.

We were watching shot blocker supreme Sabaka Konate from WVU, but he decided to withdraw from this years draft.

So look, this is a Duke fan site draft, and while we try to keep it reasonable, we can also have some fun with it so here goes. Our selection is 24 years old, so he has most likely reached his ceiling. That said, if he can play near the level of his last collegiate game then he can play anywhere. With the 57th pick in the 2019 draft the decoy Pelicans select SG Aubrey Dawkins - UCF. Hey, he's a coaches son. That often works out.;)

awhom111
06-17-2019, 12:33 AM
Well, I nearly panicked seeing the first name in the last post before the rest of the words, although not as much panicking as I was doing on Monday or Thursday. The time since we made our last mock pick has certainly ratcheted up the uncertainty for next season, but we are staying with the plan that we had before all of that.

While we would really like to make sure that nobody picks Alen Smailagic, our Santa Cruz secret, we are going to need to find guards. Jordan Bone took the combine athletic testing by storm and really moved up draft boards. We are taking the chance of that being combined with his big leap this season in productivity means that he still has room to grow along with being mature enough to handle the transition.

We also considered drafting Yovel Zoosman because we like the idea of Josh Hairston being former teammates with a large number of NBA players.

mattman91
06-17-2019, 08:44 AM
#59: Toronto Raptors select Vanja Marinkovic from Belgrade

He is older and has a low ceiling, but he can shoot and score and that is what the league wants. You can never have too many of these players! I knew I wanted to go to Europe with my one and only pick, and Vanja was the guy I wanted. There seem to always be more European players selected in the draft than the mocks predict.

From flohoops.com:

Age - 21 (Jan. 9, 1997)

Stats (5 games) - 15.6 PTS, 3.2 AST, 2 REB, 2 TO, 0.8 STL, 0 BLK, 48.6% 2FG, 37% 3FG, 70% FT in 32:08 minutes per game

Like Noua, Marinkovic will be 22.5 years old on draft day, which isn’t ideal. But he’s a flamethrower behind the arc, he’s improving his all-around game, and he’s already one of the best two-guards at the EuroCup level. He currently ranks sixth in scoring in the competition, which is really impressive for a 21-year-old. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t get drafted in June

https://youtu.be/5eSOk35f89w

tfk53
06-17-2019, 12:58 PM
To close out the 2019 DBR Mock draft, the Sacramento Kings with the 60th and last pick select Jessie Govan from Georgetown. A 6-11, 270# big man with a 7-3 wingspan with senior year averages of 17.6 ppg, 3 point - 41% (3.5 attempts/game), and a decent 76% from the foul line. His rebounding was down to 7.6 a game from 10 a game as a junior. I could not find a reason for this decline, though. He also averaged 1 block a game through his 4 years. Although not considered highly athletic, he moves well on the court. His shooting will allow some stretching of defenses, hopefully opening some space for our PFs like Bagley and Giles. On the downside, he is older, turning 22 in July, but big men often continue to improve well into their twenties. He has a reasonable shot to become an NBA rotation player.

Neals384
06-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Not to open a can of worms, but I wonder if Reddevil would have picked Culver with the #4 pick that is now his.

Reddevil
06-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Not to open a can of worms, but I wonder if Reddevil would have picked Culver with the #4 pick that is now his.

Whew! That's a tough one. In the real world I would try to gain an asset for that pick that can help right away, or trade back and get a Bol Bol or some other unique talent that can really shoot the 3. If I made the pick personally, I would lean towards De"Andre Hunter for this particular team just because he can shoot from outside better, he is bigger (a 3 or 4 vs a 2 for Culver), and fits more easily as a role player than Culver who could be the go-to guy for a team down the road. You really can't go wrong here though. They are both terrific defenders with high floors. I think of Hunter as a guy that can help spread the floor and Culver as more of a driver. I want a clean lane for Zion so...

JasonEvans
06-17-2019, 03:42 PM
The draft is complete... here are the picks:

Round 1

Round 2

Great job, everyone!

roywhite
06-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Kudos to the Commissioner. Another great year for this interesting event.

Jason is our own Adam Silver!

Billy Dat
06-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Yes, thanks Jason.

What we have to do now is dig up some of the 5+ year old versions and decide who won, just like they do on all the online pubs these days, where anything that happened more than 5 years ago is considered ancient history to be closely picked over.

brevity
06-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Yes, thanks Jason.

What we have to do now is dig up some of the 5+ year old versions and decide who won, just like they do on all the online pubs these days, where anything that happened more than 5 years ago is considered ancient history to be closely picked over.

You read my mind. I was going to post this in the NBA Playoffs thread, but in the second round of the 2016 mock draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38065), DBR picked Pascal Siakam (who really went to Toronto in the first round) and Fred VanVleet (who really went undrafted).

43. Houston - Troublemaker : Pascal Siakam, PF, NM State

57. Memphis – jacone21 : Fred VanVleet, PG, Wichita St

Turk
06-18-2019, 08:01 AM
Looking at old drafts can be a fun thing on a rainy day. I got a little taste of it when prepping for this one. Imagine what the league would look like in real life if it went like the DBR mock 2014 draft. The Bucks decided they could gamble on Joel Embiid to pair with Giannis, and the Sixers got stuck with Jabari Parker. That surely would have put the Process Truthers (like me) to the test...

2014 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33925-2014-DBR-Mock-Draft)

FerryFor50
06-18-2019, 02:11 PM
If anyone else is curious about the DBR Mock Draft history, I went ahead and grabbed the results for all of them and added the top 3 picks.

2008 was the oldest one I found... And I didn't see entries for 2010/2011. Maybe I just missed them...

2008 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?2387-DBR-Mock-Draft-MAKE-PICKS-HERE!!)
Portland - thebur SELECTED - Greg Oden, Ohio State
Seattle - pfrduke SELECTED - Kevin Durant, Texas
Atlanta - Jason Evans SELECTED - Mike Conley Jr., Ohio State

2009 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?9850-DBR-Mock-Draft-MAKE-PICKS-HERE!)
Chicago - ivduke - Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis
Miami - Duke09 - Michael Beasley, F, Kansas State
Minnesota - Eternal Outlaw - OJ Mayo, G, USC

2010 DBR Mock Draft - FILE NOT FOUND

2011 DBR Mock Draft - FILE NOT FOUND

2012 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?28689-2012-DBR-Mock-Draft)
New Orleans Hornets - dcdevil2009 ANTHONY DAVIS, Kentucky
Charlotte Bobcats - Newton_14 MICHAEL KIDD-GILCHRIST, Kentucky
Washington Wizards - JBDuke BRADLEY BEAL, Florida

2013 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?31479-2013-DBR-Mock-Draft-make-picks-here!)
Cleveland - theAlaskanBear - Otto Porter
Orlando - coldriver10 - Nerlens Noel
Washington - Li_Duke - Victor Oladipo

2014 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33925-2014-DBR-Mock-Draft)
1. Cleveland Cavaliers – BlueDevilBrowns - Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
2. Milwaukee Bucks - Turk - Joel Embiid, Kansas
3. Philadelphia 76ers - pfrduke - Jabari Parker, Duke

2015 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36084-23rd-annual-DBR-Mock-Draft-It-s-done!)
1. Minnesota - flyingdutchdevil - Karl Anthony Towns, PF/C - Kentucky
2. L.A. Lakers - theschwartz -Jahlil Okafor, C - Duke
3. Philadelphia - pfrduke - Justise Winslow, SG/SF - Duke

2016 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?38065-45th-annual-DBR-Mock-Draft-2016-It-s-a-wrap!)
1. Philly - pfrduke : Brandon Ingram, F, Duke
2. L.A. Lakers - Edouble : Ben Simmons, F, LSU
3. Boston - NashvilleDevil: Marquese Chriss, PF, Washington

2017 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40171-2017-DBR-Mock-Draft-it-s-a-wrap!)
Boston - flyingdutchdevil: Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
LA Lakers - Troublemaker: Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
Philadelphia - Gooch: Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas

2018 DBR Mock Draft (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42023-2018-DBR-NBA-Mock-Draft-It-s-a-wrap!)
1 Phoenix - NSDukeFan : DeAndre Ayton - Arizona
2 Sacramento - gocanes0506 : Marvin Bagley - Duke
3 Atlanta - JasonEvans : Mo Bamba - Texas

roywhite
06-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Plenty of interesting stuff in those old drafts. Thanks for researching and posting.

Gotta give our commissioner credit for picks in the 2012 DBR Draft.

Drafting for the Atlanta Hawks, Jason picked up Draymond Green with the 23rd pick, and Khris Middleton with the 43rd pick overall. The real Hawks should be so lucky.

Spanarkel
06-18-2019, 05:53 PM
The following is a collection of some of the comments about Romeo Langford from the DBR Mock Draft:

-cannot shoot

-needs guidance

-high risk/high reward

-poor shooter

-same as Kevin Porter and Keldon Johnson

Langford will not be drafted anywhere near as late as the 29th selection on 6/20. In fact, he won't be available for the in-state Pacers to choose him at 18. I don't think the above comments accurately reflect Lanford's ability as a player. I guess we'll see who's right in ~48 hours.

NSDukeFan
06-19-2019, 06:15 PM
The following is a collection of some of the comments about Romeo Langford from the DBR Mock Draft:

-cannot shoot

-needs guidance

-high risk/high reward

-poor shooter

Langford will not be drafted anywhere near as late as the 29th selection on 6/20. In fact, he won't be available for the in-state Pacers to choose him at 18. I don't think the above comments accurately reflect Lanford's ability as a player. I guess we'll see who's right in ~48 hours.

And we’ll see who’s right in 5-10 years.

Spanarkel
06-20-2019, 07:44 AM
And we’ll see who’s right in 5-10 years.

I think that most people will know well before 5-10 years.

miramar
06-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Duke 1&2. Fantastic!!

Now that Cam has changed his diet, I'm sure he'll go #3.

Just kidding. I miss the good old days when Al McGuire would say, I like guys who can play on pizza and Coke.

Al was right.

Billy Dat
06-20-2019, 11:27 AM

-cannot shoot

-needs guidance

-high risk/high reward

-poor shooter

I was thrilled to get Romeo at 29, almost took him at 19, and hope that cliched "chip on his shoulder" as a result of slipping in the DBR Draft will lead him to achieve great things!!!!!

Edouble
06-20-2019, 01:59 PM

-cannot shoot

-needs guidance

-high risk/high reward

-poor shooter

I was the one who wrote "high risk/high reward", and it was meant as a compliment.

I was thrilled to get Romeo at 29, almost took him at 19, and hope that cliched "chip on his shoulder" as a result of slipping in the DBR Draft will lead him to achieve great things!!!!!

I almost took him at 11. It came down to Romeo Langford and Nassir Little.

JNort
06-20-2019, 02:49 PM

I considered him for the Hornets at 12

heyman25
06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Zion coming up on CNBC power lunch with UVA alum Tyler Mathison just heard it announced

heyman25
06-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Bad listening was Mark Tatum Asst Commish of NBA. Had great ratings in Canada as expected for playoffs. Tyler endede segment with interest in where D'Andre Hunter would go

JNort
06-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Rui Hachimura

Gonna keep this short because I've typed this up 3 times now and it keeps getting deleted so apologies for the typos cause I'm betting there will be many.

This came down to Rui, Bol Bol and Romeo Langford. The clock was on and I felt the heat so I pulled on Rui who I hope can become our version of Pascal Siakam. The kid is insanely driven and I love that! Those types rarely fail and I would be willing to pie bet anyone here that unless injuries occur Rui will still be a top 7 guy for a team 10 years from now (long bet I know but if you concede defeat early that would be nice).

All that said if I could do this over I might take Bol Bol who is imo a top 5 talent in this draft and we need to swing for the fences with a possible loss of Kemba. The dude is nuttier than squirrel poo! He's almost 7'3" and can shoot lights out and blocks shots with ease. My concern at the time was the foot injury and his weight so I wanted something safe plus another ball handler for Kemba. Normally weight doesn't concern me in the slightest and for a wing it will always be a non factor but he isn't a wing and he isnt just thin like at 220 lbs but he barely cracks 200 lbs.

When you wake up... please tell us if you would have taken White or Little if they were still on the board. We know what the real Hornets ownership would do, but I am interested in your opinion.

No way Coby ever falls but yeah I would take both. I looovvve Littles upside!

With the 36th Pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Charlotte Hornets select . . .

Talen Horton-Tucker

I drafted him because physically he is fascinating! When I say that I don't mean athletically but his body is... Interesting. Let's see he has a guards height (6'4"), he weighs like a wing (235lbs) but he has the wingspan of a center (7'1"). O and he is only 18 so he has tons of room to grow still physically and as a player.

With the 52nd pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Charlotte Hornets select . . .

Darius Bazley

Not too much to say here. Skipped on college for the G league, then skipped the G league to train on his own. Physically he is elite at 6'9" with an almost 9ft standing reach. He is elite athletically as well posting a 37 inch vertical and under 3 seconds on his shuttle run. He is also reportedly a respectable shooter and has a great first step explosion. He was considered a borderline top 10 pick but certainly lottery. Negatively I have seen very little about him other than decision making. He is my ultimate sleeper this year just like Mitchell Robinson was last year.

I maybe would have taken Lecque if he was around but I didn't have the chance to think on it since he was already gone. Briefly considered Jordan Bone as well and was hoping he went undrafted so we can snag him. I would trade back into the 2nd round to get him if need be.

awhom111
06-21-2019, 12:46 AM
This was supposed to be an unpredictable draft and it was. The only picks of ours that matched were Zion (easy enough for Reddevil) and then Daniel Gafford at 38 (impressive by CDu).

We picked these players after they were drafted (actual, ours, name, user, margin):
23 52 Darius Bazley JNort 29
16 37 Chuma Okeke kAzE 21
14 29 Romeo Langford Billy Dat 15
20 32 Matisse Thybulle brevity 12
37 49 Deividas Sirvydis Billy Dat 12
11 21 Cameron Johnson accfanfrom1970 10
18 27 Goga Bitadze NSDukeFan 9
19 28 Luka Samanic awhom111 9
41 48 Eric Paschall Jeff Evans 7
8 14 Jaxson Hayes flyingdutchdevil 6
13 19 Tyler Herro Billy Dat 6
7 10 Coby White JasonEvans 3
9 12 Rui Hachimura JNort 3
12 15 PJ Washington FerryFor50 3
53 55 Justin Wright-Foreman Troublemaker 2
2 3 Ja Morant Troublemaker 1
4 5 De'Andre Hunter jacone21 1
5 6 Darius Garland brevity 1
57 58 Jordan Bone awhom111 1

We picked these players before they were drafted (actual, ours, name, user, margin):
45 40 Isaiah Roby tfk53 -5
22 18 Grant Williams CoBlueDevil -4
24 20 Ty Jerome flyingdutchdevil -4
29 25 Keldon Johnson Gooch -4
10 7 Cam Reddish CDu -3
42 39 Admiral Schofield Reddevil -3
6 4 Jarrett Culver roywhite -2
26 24 Dylan Windler Bob Green -2
3 2 RJ Barrett Dukehk -1
17 16 Nickeil Alexander-Walker coldriver10 -1
31 30 Nicolas Claxton Turk -1
32 31 KZ Okpala NSDukeFan -1
60 59 Vanja Marinkovic mattman91 -1

We picked these players that went undrafted:
34 Tacko Fall Bob Green
35 Naz Reid JasonEvans
42 Louis King Bob Green
43 Moses Brown Edouble
44 Luguentz Dort JasonEvans
45 Jalen Lecque FerryFor50
46 Shamorie Ponds coldriver10
50 Justin Robinson CoBlueDevil
51 Jontay Porter flyingdutchdevil
53 Marques Bolden Furniture
54 Brian Bowen Bob Green
56 Terence Davis JasonEvans
57 Aubrey Dawkins Reddevil
60 Jesse Govan tfk53

These players were picked, but went undrafted in ours:
28 Jordan Poole
35 Marcos Louzada Silva
36 Cody Martin
39 Alen Smailagic
40 Justin James
43 Jaylen Nowell
47 Ignas Brazdeikis
49 Quinndary Weatherspoon
50 Jarrell Brantley
51 Tremont Waters
52 Jalen McDaniels
54 Marial Shayok
58 Miye Oni
59 Dewan Hernandez

We did not even need commissioner's picks in this edition of the mock, which was great.

JNort
06-21-2019, 06:00 AM
This was supposed to be an unpredictable draft and it was. The only picks of ours that matched were Zion (easy enough for Reddevil) and then Daniel Gafford at 38 (impressive by CDu).

We picked these players after they were drafted (actual, ours, name, user, margin):

We picked these players before they were drafted (actual, ours, name, user, margin):
10 7 Cam Reddish CDu -3
3 2 RJ Barrett Dukehk -1

We picked these players that went undrafted:
34 Tacko Fall Bob Green
35 Naz Reid JasonEvans
42 Louis King Bob Green
43 Moses Brown Edouble
44 Luguentz Dort JasonEvans
45 Jalen Lecque FerryFor50
46 Shamorie Ponds coldriver10
50 Justin Robinson CoBlueDevil
51 Jontay Porter flyingdutchdevil
53 Marques Bolden Furniture
54 Brian Bowen Bob Green
56 Terence Davis JasonEvans
57 Aubrey Dawkins Reddevil
60 Jesse Govan tfk53

These players were picked, but went undrafted in ours:
28 Jordan Poole
35 Marcos Louzada Silva
36 Cody Martin
39 Alen Smailagic
40 Justin James
43 Jaylen Nowell
47 Ignas Brazdeikis
49 Quinndary Weatherspoon
50 Jarrell Brantley
51 Tremont Waters
52 Jalen McDaniels
54 Marial Shayok
58 Miye Oni
59 Dewan Hernandez

We did not even need commissioner's picks in this edition of the mock, which was great.

I think you missed Talen Horton Tucker. I got him at 36 and he went at 46

awhom111
06-21-2019, 09:52 AM
I think you missed Talen Horton Tucker. I got him at 36 and he went at 46

Yeah, I didn't copy over a whole portion of the list. Here is what it should look like:
44 13 Bol Bol subzero02 -31
48 33 Terance Mann Bob Green -15
25 11 Nassir Little Edouble -14
55 41 Kyle Guy JasonEvans -14
21 9 Brandon Clarke Truth&Justise -12
27 17 Mfiondu Kabengele NSDukeFan -10
33 23 Carsen Edwards Furniture -10
46 36 Talen Horton-Tucker JNort -10
56 47 Jaylen Hands tfk53 -9
30 22 Kevin Porter flyingdutchdevil -8
34 26 Bruno Fernando jacone21 -8
15 8 Sekou Doumbouya JasonEvans -7
10 7 Cam Reddish CDu -3
3 2 RJ Barrett Dukehk -1

CDu
06-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Bulls ended up doing exactly what I expected them to do (White and a big, I picked Gafford). I had hoped they wouldn't take White because I don't really want to have to cheer for a UNC guy (he was the guy I was alluding to when I said they probably wouldn't take Reddish). So I took Reddish. But, as expected, they took White.

Hopefully he turns out great for the Bulls and helps Carter develop into a stud.

phaedrus
06-21-2019, 11:44 AM

In the DBR alternate universe, this viral video of the Bone draft party would be even more dramatic:

https://deadspin.com/jordan-bones-draft-party-went-from-tragic-to-joyful-in-1835727208

Edouble
06-21-2019, 11:46 AM
In the DBR alternate universe, this viral video of the Bone draft party would be even more dramatic:

https://deadspin.com/jordan-bones-draft-party-went-from-tragic-to-joyful-in-1835727208

Oh, Jordan Bone... "the most athletic player in the draft" according to Jay Bilas. :confused:

Reddevil
06-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Oh, Jordan Bone... "the most athletic player in the draft" according to Jay Bilas. :confused:

Bone scorched the speed and agility drills. I think that is what he was referring to. Better athlete than basketball player? We shall see.

Edouble
06-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Bone scorched the speed and agility drills. I think that is what he was referring to. Better athlete than basketball player? We shall see.

More athletic than Zion? Not buying it, Jay.

Bob Green
06-21-2019, 02:35 PM

-cannot shoot

The "cannot shoot" comment is mine so I'll own it. On Romeo Langford, Spanarkel was right and I was wrong (it happens frequently). I thought Langford would be late 1st round or maybe even slip into the 2nd Round.

JNort
06-22-2019, 10:27 AM

I mean the dude shredded every athletic measurement. Probably the only reason he was drafted.

Edouble
06-22-2019, 03:54 PM
I mean the dude shredded every athletic measurement. Probably the only reason he was drafted.

More athletic than Zion? (who was not at the combine)

JNort
06-22-2019, 05:26 PM
More athletic than Zion? (who was not at the combine)

We don't know if Zion is more athletic because he didn't test. Therefore Bone who tested better than every one is by default the most athletic. Even if Zion did test I doubt he would have performed better at all in terms of raw numbers, now relative to his position and size then sure I think I would agree he is most likely more athletic.

Truth&Justise
10-29-2020, 12:02 PM
Seems like we might not do a 2020 DBR Mock Draft, so let's take a look back at the 2019 DBR Mock Draft.

Round 1

Round 2

The usual caveat applies that it's only been one year, and it often takes a while before we know if a player was truly effective. But already some notable picks:

- Troublemaker benefitted from RJ Barrett going early to snag Rookie of the Year Ja Morant for the Knicks. This would be a huge shift in the current NBA landscape.

-Another big inflection point: subzero02 and the Miami Heat taking Bol Bol's long term potential, rather than Tyler Herro. Probably safe to say the Heat would not have made the finals without Herro.

-Speaking of Herro, his slide to #19 allowed Billy Dat and the Spurs to secure maybe the best value pick of the first round.

-brevity did well to snag Matisse Thybulle in the second round. He was a difference maker defensively for the 76ers, and also became a media star during the bubble. I highly recommend going back and watching his youtube recaps of life in the buble.

-Best value pick overall? Probably the Evans duo (Jeff Evans and JasonEvans) selecting Eric Paschall for the Clippers at #48. Paschall went on to make first-team all-rookie. This same duo also hit on their last pick, taking Terrence Davis at #56, and then watching him make second-team all-rookie. Not bad for two late second round picks!

-Finally, I'm pleased with my faux-Wizards pick of Brandon Clarke at #9. While Rui Hachimura played fairly well in his first year, earning second-team all-rookie, he was edged out by advanced-stats darling Clarke, who made the first team. By most advanced metrics (VORP, win shares, box plus minus) Clarke was the best rookie in the class.

How are you all feeling about your picks?