PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Mock Draft tracking

JasonEvans
06-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Is it too early for this? ;)

I was looking at ESPN's 2020 Mock Draft and I figure now is as good a time as any to begin a thread to track it on an ongoing basis. It is interesting to see how stock rises and falls over the course of the season but we need a pre-season benchmark to make it really interesting.

This is where I would note that at this time a year ago, Zion Williamson was a mid-lottery pick while RJ was the #1. Cam was either #2 or #3, with Nassir Little in there alongside him. Coby White was nowhere to be found in any mocks. Neither was Ja Morant.

So, with that in mind, here is where ESPN has (http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26575642/2020-nba-mock-draft-new-top-three-prospects-latest-intel) the Duke guys and a few others right now.

https://i.ibb.co/mHQfC1k/Capture.png

Amazing to see a mock where Duke barely has a player in the lottery. But, we own the middle of the first round. Hurt checks in at #13 with Tre at #16 and Wendell Moore at #18. The NBA's lack of interest in big men who are not run/jump freaks shows up in Vernon Carey falling to #23.

-Jason "I need to double check, but I don't think there is a single junior or senior in the first round... hardly surprising given the recent trend toward drafting youth" Evans

kAzE
06-03-2019, 12:12 PM

I was looking at ESPN's 2020 Mock Draft and I figure now is as good a time as any to begin a thread to track it on an ongoing basis. It is interesting to see how stock rises and falls over the course of the season but we need a pre-season benchmark to make it really interesting.

This is where I would note that at this time a year ago, Zion Williamson was a mid-lottery pick while RJ was the #1. Cam was either #2 or #3, with Nassir Little in there alongside him. Coby White was nowhere to be found in any mocks. Neither was Ja Morant.

So, with that in mind, here is where ESPN has (http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26575642/2020-nba-mock-draft-new-top-three-prospects-latest-intel) the Duke guys and a few others right now.

Amazing to see a mock where Duke barely has a player in the lottery. But, we own the middle of the first round. Hurt checks in at #13 with Tre at #16 and Wendell Moore at #18. The NBA's lack of interest in big men who are not run/jump freaks shows up in Vernon Carey falling to #23.

-Jason "I need to double check, but I don't think there is a single junior or senior in the first round... hardly surprising given the recent trend toward drafting youth" Evans

A couple thoughts:

There are some old kids in this recruiting class. Tre Jones is essentially the same age as Matthew Hurt, Scottie Lewis, Cole Anthony, Bryan Antoine, and a few others. Precious Achiuwa is a couple months OLDER than Tre.

LaMelo Ball is actually projected to be drafted. Wow.

My overall impressions of this draft class without too much intimate knowledge of the players is that it appears to be a relatively weak class. It could resemble something like the 2013 NBA draft, where the best players ended up being international prospects (Giannis and Rudy Gobert). James Wiseman looks like a pretty decent bet to be a long term starter in the NBA, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he never makes an All-Star team. He doesn't have crazy physical measurements, and scouts have questioned his effort/motor.

Maybe a guy like Anthony Edwards or Cole Anthony makes some significant strides in the next few years and develops into something spectacular, but none of the American prospects that I'm familiar with really screams NBA superstar to me as of right now. But it's obviously extremely early. Probably nobody pegged Zion as a superstar at this time last year.

English
06-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Is this an older mock? All of the guys without commitments next to their names (excluding LaMelo) have all committed now, and Cole Anthony probably shouldn't have a "?" next to his name unless it's to indicate the uncertainty about whether he'll actually be required to attend a class this year.

Jaden McDaniels committed to Washington, Precious Achiuwa to Memphis, Trendon Watford to LSU.

I agree that, at first look, this seems to be a weak draft class. We'll certainly see, though, as nearly every year there are some surprises.

JasonEvans
06-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Is this an older mock? All of the guys without commitments next to their names (excluding LaMelo) have all committed now, and Cole Anthony probably shouldn't have a "?" next to his name unless it's to indicate the uncertainty about whether he'll actually be required to attend a class this year.

Jaden McDaniels committed to Washington, Precious Achiuwa to Memphis, Trendon Watford to LSU.

I agree that, at first look, this seems to be a weak draft class. We'll certainly see, though, as nearly every year there are some surprises.

Yup, it is clearly at least a week or two old, though ESPN says it was done after the spring AAU games which have begun to influence high school senior rankings. I agree that it does seem like a weak draft. It will be interesting to see if these guys are the best players in college basketball next year or if upperclassmen dominate. That will give us a good sense of whether this is a strong or weak class.

Bluedog
06-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Yeah, looking like 2020 will be the first time in 7 years (since 2013) that Duke won't have a player drafted in the top three! That's quite a streak though. What's the second best in NBA history - anybody know? I'm surprised Hurt is considered the highest prospect as I thought all the scouting reports on him were that he doesn't have elite NBA athleticism and isn't necessarily that long. But I guess it's because he CAN SHOOT!!! :) Yeah, interesting also that Vernon Carey is rated so highly in his class against his high school peers but so low in the NBA mock. Maybe that means he'll stick around another year to improve his stock although of course, I'd prefer it if he blows up in college and shows the NBA what he can bring right away.

UrinalCake
06-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Cole Anthony probably shouldn't have a "?" next to his name unless it's to indicate the uncertainty about whether he'll actually be required to attend a class this year.

I think we already know the answer to that question. The question mark is there to indicate whether that sham of a program should even be considered a “university.”