PDA

View Full Version : Duke's coaching tree is not good, and that's concerning.

jamalccc
06-01-2019, 12:38 PM
I am very concerned about the lack of an obvious successor for K. K has built something at Duke that can hardly be replicated. But when looking for successor, we are not looking for replication, but extension. Like Tim Cook could never replace Steve Jobs, but he extended Apple's success for at least a decade. The problem is, we don't have a Tim Cook.

The candidates are Dawkins, Wojo, Collins, Capel, Amaker and Hurley. No one has achieved any type of sustained success. We are not looking at Championship or FFs, but consecutive S16 runs. No, none of them have done it. In fact, only Dawkins and Capel have ever been to S16s, and they each did only once. Considering how low that bar is compared to Duke's standard, that's very concerning. Yes we can give them more time, but I would bet none of them ever gets there base on their track record.

Mike Brey has done it at Notre Dame, but he never played for Duke, is pretty old (60), and why would he leave Notre Dame anyway? He's been there 20 years. That's his legacy.

Quin Snyder is a promising coach in the NBA, but very few, if any successful NBA coach leaves for college.

I am very concerned. We might be looking at some dark times after K, who is 72.

chrishoke
06-01-2019, 12:48 PM
I am very concerned about the lack of an obvious successor for K. K has built something at Duke that can hardly be replicated. But when looking for successor, we are not looking for replication, but extension. Like Tim Cook could never replace Steve Jobs, but he extended Apple's success for at least a decade. The problem is, we don't have a Tim Cook.

The candidates are Dawkins, Wojo, Collins, Capel, Amaker and Hurley. No one has achieved any type of sustained success. We are not looking at Championship or FFs, but consecutive S16 runs. No, none of them have done it. In fact, only Dawkins and Capel have ever been to S16s, and they each did only once. Considering how low that bar is compared to Duke's standard, that's very concerning. Yes we can give them more time, but I would bet none of them ever gets there base on their track record.

Mike Brey has done it at Notre Dame, but he never played for Duke, is pretty old (60), and why would he leave Notre Dame anyway? He's been there 20 years. That's his legacy.

Quin Snyder is a promising coach in the NBA, but very few, if any successful NBA coach leaves for college.

Simple, I'll just switch allegiance to a different winning program. Isn't that what fans do.

sagegrouse
06-01-2019, 12:56 PM

What was K's record at Army? Sometimes you just hire the right person, not the right resume. And maybe someone on the Duke bench inherits the mantle. And, I am not wedded to the idea that the successor has to have a Duke background.

Bob Green
06-01-2019, 12:57 PM
I am very concerned about the lack of an obvious successor for K.

Coach K's successor has been discussed ad naseum on this board. There is no telling who it will be but the thing to remember is Duke played successful basketball prior to the arrival of Coach K and Duke will play successful basketball after his departure. I've been watching since the Vic Bubas era and I hope to be watching in the post Coach K era.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-01-2019, 12:58 PM

I'm enjoying the present with K too much to ruin it by worrying about what comes next. Especially since I have zero control or say in how it all pans out.

I was fairly certain K was going to ride off into the sunset after the 2015 ride back to the mountain top. I clearly was mistaken, but will view all time remaining with K as bonus time.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-01-2019, 01:12 PM
That’s a bold assertion for your second all time post on DBR... So which other coaching tree, pray tell, do you wish we had? It seems you’re suggesting other programs have done a far better job on this front. I’m wondering who K should have been copying all this time.

CameronBornAndBred
06-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Ahhhh....the off season...:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
06-01-2019, 01:23 PM
I’m concerned about cholesterol and my receding hairline.

Indoor66
06-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Don't sweat it. Time always wins.

rocketeli
06-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Sounds like someone's doin' a little trolling...

Don't feed. Don't feed. Don't--ah, heck.

First, how do you define "not good?" Compared to which "coaching tree?" (a weird expression which apparently reifies a situation where coaches that now coach somewhere else used to work at Duke.) Compared to what metric? The average performance in terms of wins and longevity for this career? Or some fantasy requirement of multiple national championships--something only a handful of coaches have been able to do out of thousands?

Second, I've never understood some people's obsession with hiring someone who used to work at Duke. If you overheard your boss at work saying she would only hire her college sorority sisters for executive positions at the company, would that make you feel great about the future of the company and your future in it? Or would it make you go 'ruh-oh'? I would suggest that when the time comes, as it eventually will, for Duke to hire a new head basketball coach, that they hire the best possible candidate for the job, regardless of which college they did or did not work at before.

NSDukeFan
06-01-2019, 03:59 PM

You should probably be more concerned with potential heart attacks and strokes than cholesterol. 😀

devildeac
06-01-2019, 04:38 PM
You should probably be more concerned with potential heart attacks and strokes than cholesterol. 😀

I endorse this advice. ;)

OldPhiKap
06-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Don't sweat it. Time always wins.

I endorse this advice. ;)

I am also concerned that Coach K cannot develop big men.

I’ve got frets a-plenty my friends.

cato
06-01-2019, 04:57 PM
I am also concerned that Coach K cannot develop big men.

I’ve got frets a-plenty my friends.

My biggest worry is that K can’t seem to coach D.

OldPhiKap
06-01-2019, 04:58 PM
I’ve got more frets than Ravi Shankar’s sitar.

I’ve got more frets than a summer guitar camp.

I fret therefore I am.

CameronBlue
06-01-2019, 04:59 PM

Someone needs a new wing man for Bridge nights at the Senior Center (and..seriously, plaid was never a thing.)

OldPhiKap
06-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Someone needs a new wing man for Bridge nights at the Senior Center (and..seriously, plaid was never a thing.)

“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on CameronBlue again.”

Fish80
06-01-2019, 06:43 PM
When do we start using the bench? We could go 11 deep this year

Messimorgan17
06-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Contrary to the advice of Tyrion, Dany never considered her successor as queen of the seven kingdoms in game of thrones and look what happened.

OldPhiKap
06-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Contrary to the advice of Tyrion, Dany never considered her successor as queen of the seven kingdoms in game of thrones and look what happened.

How do you blow a two-dragon lead?

SupaDave
06-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Yeah - this thread is thoroughly torched. Closed.