PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Bama kickoff time set for 3:30

jimsumner
05-30-2019, 12:22 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211804447&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Start hydrating now. That tailgate is going to be brutal.

Bob Green
05-30-2019, 12:28 PM
92 Days, three hours and two minutes from now. It isn't every day you get the opportunity to beat Alabama in football.

duke79
05-30-2019, 02:34 PM
92 Days, three hours and two minutes from now. It isn't every day you get the opportunity to beat Alabama in football.

I like your optimism.....but I wouldn't bet your house on that outcome!

kako
05-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Bama was embarrassed in their last game. It doesn't happen often, and they have had the whole offseason to stew on it. Not happy that Duke is up next. This could be brutal...

9F

OldPhiKap
05-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Bama was embarrassed in their last game. It doesn't happen often, and they have had the whole offseason to stew on it. Not happy that Duke is up next. This could be brutal...

9F

Yeah, we're gonna be the first team they can hit other than internal practices. And you KNOW those are gonna be awful.

They will have a lot of frustration to take out on us. May they be even more frustrated when they leave!

CameronBornAndBred
05-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Geeez, pour on the dour predictions! Great things can happen in the first game of the year. Ask Michigan and App State.
And, if we lose, big whoop. It's the first game of the year and not one we are expected to win. I do expect us to compete, and will be surprised if we don't. 'Bama ain't the only team playing in that game with something to prove.

TruBlu
05-30-2019, 04:23 PM
This could be brutal...

9F

Like the old joke, (more than) slightly modified: If Bama dies, she dies.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-30-2019, 04:27 PM

9F

Yes, I remember being floored by how thoroughly they got trounced in the last game, and then about midway through the third quarter realizing who they step on the field against next. I might have even mentioned it in the game thread.
I'm all about "shock the world," but this would be a pretty significant shock.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2019, 04:37 PM
I'll be there with DaughterPK (who goes to 'Bama and will be representing, so be kind if you see a college-aged girl in the Duke section with a 'Bama shirt. She's still good people).

Ready for the tailgate, just let me know what to bring.

budwom
05-30-2019, 04:42 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211804447&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Start hydrating now. That tailgate is going to be brutal.

Ouch. Worth noting that for years I sat (semi suicidally) on the East side of WW where I would get temporary reprieve from the baking sun at halftime amongst the trees now cut down in the name of progress...the Emergency Services ambulance guys used to hang out there (they know shade) and I asked them a few years ago what the worst problem day was for them...all three of them said by far the worst day they'd seen was when Bama came to town to trounce us several years previously...they had never seen such a large number of fans get in trouble by drinking too much and hydrating too little...I would have thought the SEC people would have figured that out, but evidently nyet.

Acymetric
05-30-2019, 04:43 PM
At least the game is indoors.

Dukelogger
05-30-2019, 05:17 PM
I see this game being close for three quarters with a final score hardly indicative of a mostly competitive game.

Duke 35 - Bama 10.

devildeac
05-30-2019, 05:36 PM
I see this game being close for three quarters with a final score hardly indicative of a mostly competitive game.

Duke 35 - Bama 10.

Gotta be a missing decimal point and/or exponent missing from one/both those scores.

:rolleyes:

duke2x
05-30-2019, 09:10 PM
Duke and UNC are playing SEC games at the same time with Duke on ABC and UNC on ESPN. That should make getting a hotel in Charlotte fun.

jimsumner
05-30-2019, 11:30 PM
Duke and UNC are playing SEC games at the same time with Duke on ABC and UNC on ESPN. That should make getting a hotel in Charlotte fun.

Perhaps the Duke partisans can find something in Atlanta.

martydoesntfoul
05-31-2019, 02:13 AM
I'll be there with DaughterPK (who goes to 'Bama and will be representing, so be kind if you see a college-aged girl in the Duke section with a 'Bama shirt. She's still good people).

Ready for the tailgate, just let me know what to bring.I will be coming in with my 10 year-old, who may or may not be sporting a Quinn Cook Warriors jersey. Likewise up for the tailgate and looking forward to getting details as they become available...

OZZIE4DUKE
05-31-2019, 05:48 AM

Duke 35 - Bama 10.
Zporkz worthy! I’ll be there to watch as we do shock the world! LGD GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2019, 06:57 AM

9F

Just seems to me that the Florida State program still hasn't recovered from their opener with Bama a few years back......

killerleft
05-31-2019, 09:38 AM
Just seems to me that the Florida State program still hasn't recovered from their opener with Bama a few years back...

I'd much rather play a team that sucked their last time out than one that trounced the opposition. Proves they can suck. Go Duke!!! And I can honestly say I've never watched the kickoff of a Duke Football game and not had at least a spark of hope that we can win. Wouldn't be prudent.

wilson
05-31-2019, 09:55 AM
...I can honestly say I've never watched the kickoff of a Duke Football game and not had at least a spark of hope that we can win...Either you missed the Carl Franks era, or you're just a better person than I.

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2019, 10:59 AM
And I can honestly say I've never watched the kickoff of a Duke Football game and not had at least a spark of hope that we can win. Wouldn't be prudent.

Either you missed the Carl Franks era, or you're just a better person than I.

It's possible he skipped the kickoff those years. :rolleyes:

killerleft
05-31-2019, 01:50 PM
Either you missed the Carl Franks era, or you're just a better person than I.

I've probably missed less than ten games in thirty years or more. Been to many games through the years not expecting to win, but the hope has always there.

My philosophy has been that you will never see a big upset if you aren't there for it. So I try to be at Wallace Wade. The Clemson game in 1989 still is my favorite Wade game not involving UNC. Watching Chris Port and friends move a pile-up from the five to the endzone to finish off a Randy Cuthbert run is still thrilling to think about from time to time. That win set the stage for our shared ACC title, though it only got our ACC record to 2-3 at the time.

The Wake game that put the nail in the coffin for Franks is the only one I've ever left early (that I can remember, anyway). I couldn't bear to watch the second half.

devildeac
05-31-2019, 01:58 PM
I've probably missed less than ten games in thirty years or more. Been to many games through the years not expecting to win, but the hope has always there.

My philosophy has been that you will never see a big upset if you aren't there for it. So I try to be at Wallace Wade. The Clemson game in 1989 still is my favorite Wade game not involving UNC. Watching Chris Port and friends move a pile-up from the five to the endzone to finish off a Randy Cuthbert run is still thrilling to think about from time to time. That win set the stage for our shared ACC title, though it only got our ACC record to 2-3 at the time.

The Wake game that put the nail in the coffin for Franks is the only one I've ever left early (that I can remember, anyway). I couldn't bear to watch the second half.

Were you behind us or in front of us during that exodus? :mad:

How about the 7-59 disaster last season? :mad:

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2019, 02:18 PM

Hoping this team has that debacle on their mind when they open the season this year. Winning the bowl was great, but I'd rather have the weight of that meaningful defeat in our hearts when we face 'Bama than the taste of victory over a so-so Temple team in a so-so bowl game.

killerleft
05-31-2019, 02:57 PM

Soon as the first half was over the first one. Last year was a miss. Was driving to Alabama for Thanksgiving at the mom-in-laws, thank goodness. Might have left BEFORE half for that one. Sheesh! I know I quit wasting battery on smartphone Youtubetv. even before the half was over.

elvis14
05-31-2019, 04:44 PM
Speaking of Bama, how did they do in their last football game anyway?

Indoor66
05-31-2019, 04:59 PM

They drank some Orange Crush.

devildeac
05-31-2019, 05:20 PM
Soon as the first half was over the first one. Last year was a miss. Was driving to Alabama for Thanksgiving at the mom-in-laws, thank goodness. Might have left BEFORE half for that one. Sheesh! I know I quit wasting battery on smartphone Youtubetv. even before the half was over.

WRT the first game, as the first half ended, my elderly father and I looked at each other and agreed Franks was done and headed up the stairs at WW.

WRT the 2018, we left early in the 3rd quarter as it readily appeared no adjustments had been made during halftime. A certain moderator we know who sits with us in the cheeeep seats, who also very rarely leaves games early, bundled up his crew and headed home when the 1st half clock reached 0:00. :eek:

Bob Green
05-31-2019, 05:27 PM
WRT the 2018, we left early in the 3rd quarter as it readily appeared no adjustments had been made during halftime. A certain moderator we know who sits with us in the cheeeep seats, who also very rarely leaves games early, bundled up his crew and headed home when the 1st half clock reached 0:00. :eek:

I think I know that guy.

devildeac
05-31-2019, 05:29 PM
I think I know that guy.

PM me the contact info...

;)

duke2x
05-31-2019, 08:47 PM

It was remarkably similar to our trip to Clemson in terms of margin. Don't get your hopes up.

Reilly
05-31-2019, 11:52 PM
1990: I stayed till the end of 59-0 v UVA.
2000: I left at halftime of the 59-? UNC game
2018: I left in the 4th Qtr of the 5?-? WFU debacle

Literally today, I was offered tix to the 'Bama game.

Should I accept?

Bob Green
06-01-2019, 06:18 AM

Should I accept?

Yes!

budwom
06-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Should I accept?

Do you enjoy bullfights? If so, go. Have fun, be realistic in your expectations, eat heartily...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-01-2019, 10:31 AM

Should I accept?

I mean... Even acknowledging how slim the odds of an upset are... If you had the chance to attend and the unthinkable were to happen, how would you forgive yourself if you missed the opportunity?

Reilly
06-01-2019, 10:59 AM
... how would you forgive yourself if you missed the opportunity?

Calculating possible future emotional regret when trying to figure a current course of action has consumed a lot (too much) of my mental energy over the years. Paralysis by analysis. A bit of making the perfect the enemy of the good, and marring what's well: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249676 Doing what I think I should be doing b/c I think I'll regret not having done it later when doing it conflicts with what I actually want to do now ... although, at times, that future possible feeling of regret is a nice, clarifying push to do what I know I should, so it's not all bad.

I wanted no part of 'Bama in 2010 and stayed far, far away. This time, it's not the possible result keeping me away -- we can hang. And with Charlie Ham, anything's possible.

duke2x
06-01-2019, 11:05 AM
I mean... Even acknowledging how slim the odds of an upset are... If you had the chance to attend and the unthinkable were to happen, how would you forgive yourself if you missed the opportunity?

I can answer this question. I'm still kicking myself that I overslept my drive up to Baltimore on Memorial Day 2010. :mad: (Yes, posting the Youtube link would be more fun. It's on my pregame Youtube playlist along with Cut's pregame Belk Bowl speech.)

Reilly
06-01-2019, 11:15 AM
I guess this is all the fear of missing out/FOMO ... I've also heard of JOMO -- the joy of missing out ...

killerleft
06-01-2019, 11:29 AM

That IS the spirit! :)

CameronBornAndBred
06-01-2019, 11:42 AM
I wanted no part of 'Bama in 2010 and stayed far, far away.

You missed out. Yeah, we got drubbed, but we did score first (and were the first team that season to cross 'Bama's goal line in the first quarter). Besides being a beatdown, it was an amazing and unforgettable experience in Wallace Wade. It was (and likely will be) the only time I have ever seen the stadium literally filled, so much so that extra seats were brought in. The Tide fans were great, as well. I thought it was pretty funny how Duke used that game in promotional materials afterwards, turning all that Crimson to Blue in photos.

Even though in the grand scheme of things it wasn't, it felt like a big time game. That was fun to experience, especially as a lifelong Duke football fan.

AustinDevil
06-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Even though in the grand scheme of things it wasn't, it felt like a big time game. That was fun to experience, especially as a lifelong Duke football fan.

This is why I’m going on August 31. This sort of kickoff game in an NFL stadium is something the Alabamas and LSUs of the world get to do every year. I’m not remotely going to risk missing Duke participating, no matter the win/loss probability.

The last time I went just because it’s a chance to be in a great college game atmosphere was [checks notes] Duke at Notre Dame. (Not that I’m predicting a win, but there’s a chance.)

HereBeforeCoachK
06-01-2019, 02:15 PM
I wanted no part of 'Bama in 2010 and stayed far, far away.

I felt that way in 2010, and do so now as well. Duke is much better, so is Bama probably.

OldPhiKap
06-01-2019, 02:51 PM
I went to the ‘Bama Game in 2010, glad I went despite the result.

I went to the Peach-fil-A Bowl when we were supposed to get killed by Texas A&M and Johnny Football. So glad I did despite it getting away at the end.

Life only happens once. Grab it. Go.

Acymetric
06-01-2019, 03:02 PM

I went to the Peach-fil-A Bowl when we were supposed to get killed by Texas A&M and Johnny Football. So glad I did despite it getting away at the end.

That A&M game is one of the few games (of any team/sport) that I like to re-watch even though we lost. Being there was an absolute blast, and it was a great game.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-01-2019, 10:19 PM

I felt like we matched up pretty good with A and M, and it was in some ways the peak of Duke football in my fanhood....big stage, big crowd, big audience, and amazingly dominant for a half....and even overall, physically were the equal of A and M if not a smidgeon better.

I didn't like the match up with Bama in 10 and I don't like it now.

left_hook_lacey
06-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Yeah, we're gonna be the first team they can hit other than internal practices. And you KNOW those are gonna be awful.

They will have a lot of frustration to take out on us. May they be even more frustrated when they leave!

When the many-faced God comes calling, what do we say?

Not today Bama, not today.

Reilly
06-02-2019, 09:38 AM
... I went to the Peach-fil-A Bowl when we were supposed to get killed by Texas A&M and Johnny Football ...

I was there. I did not recall that TXAM was favored as heavily as it was. By 13.5 points per: https://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/ncf/teams/pastresults/2013-2014/team95.html ... and during our 8-game win streak in 2013 we were underdogs in 4/8 of the games ...

HereBeforeCoachK
06-02-2019, 01:44 PM
I went to the Peach-fil-A Bowl when we were supposed to get killed by Texas A&M and Johnny Football. So glad I did despite it getting away at the end..

Let me ask you, honestly, do you feel as good about this Bama game as you did that A&M game? Or maybe more to the point, were you as worried about A&M as you are Alabama coming up? To me there's no comparison. I was optimistic if Duke went wide open and played a first team to 50 game, that we could win. We almost did....TAM just beat us to 50 by a smidge. I feel totally different about the Bama match up.

OldPhiKap
06-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Let me ask you, honestly, do you feel as good about this Bama game as you did that A&M game? Or maybe more to the point, were you as worried about A&M as you are Alabama coming up? To me there's no comparison. I was optimistic if Duke went wide open and played a first team to 50 game, that we could win. We almost did...TAM just beat us to 50 by a smidge. I feel totally different about the Bama match up.

I think that ‘Bama is a much bigger challenge for several reasons.

We certainly will be deserved underdogs, and losing DJ is huge. But Cut has months to come up with a game plan. I am confident that we will have a game plan, and that the team will be as prepared as you can for a much deeper and more talented team.

Indoor66
06-02-2019, 03:00 PM

We certainly will be deserved underdogs, and losing DJ is huge. But Cut has months to come up with a game plan. I am confident that we will have a game plan, and that the team will be as prepared as you can for a much deeper and more talented team.

No chance for the big win unless you play the big game. Bring 'em on!

budwom
06-02-2019, 04:43 PM
No chance for the big win unless you play the big game. Bring 'em on!

I am reminded of the Knights Who Say Ni in this particular example....

killerleft
06-02-2019, 10:57 PM
I am reminded of the Knights Who Say Ni in this particular example...

"Nice football team ya got here, Saban... be a SHAME if somethin' was to happen to it."

jv001
06-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Agree with all you said and will add, if the game plan is to run, run and run some more and that includes our QB, we will be in for a long afternoon. I believe we will have to pass the ball to be able to run the ball. I know that's the opposite of what most people say, but in this game, I believe that will be the case. At this point I don't believe our offensive line can line up and out physical the Bama defense. Hope I'm wrong. GoDuke!