PDA

View Full Version : Zion is not coming back

BD80
05-30-2019, 12:18 PM
:( :( :(

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26854848/zion-projected-no-1-pick-signs-caa-sports

I guess it's over.

Zion "-- has signed with CAA Sports, the agency announced Thursday.
CAA basketball agent Austin Brown and CAA executive Lisa Joseph-Metelus will represent Williamson. …
Joseph-Metelus worked closely with future Hall of Famer Dwyane Wade throughout his career, guiding much of his brand-building away from the floor."

jimsumner
05-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Jim Carrey still thinks there's a chance.

UrinalCake
05-30-2019, 12:47 PM
He could still come back if he goes undrafted and then repays the agency for all of his travel expenses :rolleyes:

budwom
05-30-2019, 01:34 PM
Ah, CAA is the big time, no doubt they're devising the best way to get a shoe company to fork over many tens of millions of dollars as I type this...

plimnko
05-30-2019, 01:52 PM
zion is a class act.....a pretty good ball player too. the sky is the limit for him. we were lucky to have seen him in a duke uniform for a year.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Can you imagine what these top NBA merchandise sales lists might look like next year?

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/25/top-merchandise-jersey-sales-2018-19-season-official-release

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2019, 07:02 AM
Ah, CAA is the big time, no doubt they're devising the best way to get a shoe company to fork over many tens of millions of dollars as I type this...

...CAA kind of became big time yesterday.......this would be like Zion picking Clemson for college.....

budwom
05-31-2019, 07:47 AM
...CAA kind of became big time yesterday....this would be like Zion picking Clemson for college....

hm, CAA has been ultra powerful for years and years, especially outside of sports...

Acymetric
05-31-2019, 08:20 AM
...CAA kind of became big time yesterday...this would be like Zion picking Clemson for college...

hm, CAA has been ultra powerful for years and years, especially outside of sports...

Yeah, I think CAA already had a pretty established presence in sports...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Creative_Artists_Agency_clients#Sports

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2019, 08:22 AM

The sports media is widely calling this an upset....a surprise pick......saying that CAA wasn't "even in the running" and so on. This is more like a Clemson pick than a Duke pick.....to use his college choice analogy.

Troublemaker
05-31-2019, 08:28 AM
The sports media is widely calling this an upset...a surprise pick...saying that CAA wasn't "even in the running" and so on. This is more like a Clemson pick than a Duke pick...to use his college choice analogy.

Well, the media are often wrong. This seems to be another example. See Acymetric's link.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-31-2019, 08:39 AM
The sports media is widely calling this an upset...a surprise pick...saying that CAA wasn't "even in the running" and so on. This is more like a Clemson pick than a Duke pick....to use his college choice analogy.

Just because some people are calling it an upset a) doesn’t mean they are right and b) doesn’t make them not big time. Some would argue it was an upset for Duke to get Zion yet no one would argue we aren’t big time.

CAA is particularly big in entertainment. The worlds of sports and entertainment are increasingly becoming the same, so a big entertainment agency makes perfect sense.

Please do a little homework before posting. The “ready, fire, aim” approach is not encouraged around here.

JasonEvans
05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
The lead agent that Zion signed with represents more than a dozen NBA players including Donovan Mitchell, Pau Gasol, Colin Sexton, D'Angelo Russell, and Dwayne Wade. The secondary, "marketing" person has been managing DWade's non-basketball activities for more than a decade and she is clearly among the best in the business. Zion picked a big-time team and to imply that picking them was some kind of surprising "upset" seems badly misinformed to me.

Indoor66
05-31-2019, 09:03 AM
...to imply that picking them was some kind of surprising "upset" seems badly misinformed to me.

That has never slowed this place down, on many occasions. 😂

phaedrus
05-31-2019, 09:38 AM
I'm confident he'll be back. It's just a matter of when.

OldPhiKap
05-31-2019, 09:56 AM
I'm confident he'll be back. It's just a matter of when.

Out on the road today
I saw a Duke Hoops sticker on a Cadillac.
A little voice inside my head said
"Don't look back.
You can never look back."

Zion is like a steam locomotive, rolling down the tracks. He's gone, he's gone. And nothin's gonna bring him back. . . .

Acymetric
05-31-2019, 10:16 AM
The lead agent that Zion signed with represents more than a dozen NBA players including Donovan Mitchell, Pau Gasol, Colin Sexton, D'Angelo Russell, and Dwayne Wade. The secondary, "marketing" person has been managing DWade's non-basketball activities for more than a decade and she is clearly among the best in the business. Zion picked a big-time team and to imply that picking them was some kind of surprising "upset" seems badly misinformed to me.

See also: Joel Embiid, Paul George, our very own Luke Kennard, Chris Paul, and Karl-Anthony Towns

Other notable non-basketball athletes:

Baseball: Cespedes, Buster Posey, Noah Syndergaard, Ryan Zimmerman (I don't follow baseball so I just picked a few names I recognized, there are a bunch of others)
Football: Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, LaDainian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson (and presumably a bunch of others, they have had the most 1st round draft picks of any agency for each of the last 4 years)
Soccer: Christiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Philippe Coutinho, Da Silva, various others
Hockey: Sidney Crosby, a bunch of other dudes (I don't follow hockey much either)
Miscellaneous/Olympic: Jeff Gordon, Bode Miller, various others

We've got some of the biggest names in every major sport represented here.

OldPhiKap
05-31-2019, 10:22 AM
See also: Joel Embiid, Paul George, our very own Luke Kennard, Chris Paul, and Karl-Anthony Towns

Baseball: Cespedes, Buster Posey, Noah Syndergaard, Ryan Zimmerman (I don't follow baseball so I just picked a few names I recognized, there are a bunch of others)
Football: Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, LaDainian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson (and presumably a bunch of others, they have had the most 1st round draft picks of any agency for each of the last 4 years)
Soccer: Christiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Philippe Coutinho, Da Silva, various others
Hockey: Sidney Crosby, a bunch of other dudes (I don't follow hockey much either)

Yeah, but if you ain't got one of the Ball brothers . . . .

(Or does their dad do all of that?)

brevity
05-31-2019, 10:31 AM

Looking beyond that Sports list, you'll see Scarlett Johansson under Film and Colin Jost under Television. They're now engaged (https://entertainment.theonion.com/relationship-experts-still-no-closer-to-discovering-wha-1834898222), and if CAA had anything to do with it, then that's a much bigger upset than most things in sports. Maybe a Buster Douglas level of upset. Or, more properly, how upset my stomach feels just acknowledging that this exists.

OldPhiKap
05-31-2019, 10:37 AM
Looking beyond that Sports list, you'll see Scarlett Johansson under Film and Colin Jost under Television. They're now engaged (https://entertainment.theonion.com/relationship-experts-still-no-closer-to-discovering-wha-1834898222), and if CAA had anything to do with it, then that's a much bigger upset than most things in sports. Maybe a Buster Douglas level of upset. Or, more properly, how upset my stomach feels just acknowledging that this exists.

"Scarjost"

You heard it here first.

bundabergdevil
05-31-2019, 10:41 AM
:( :( :(

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26854848/zion-projected-no-1-pick-signs-caa-sports

I guess it's over.

CAA basketball agent Austin Brown and CAA executive Lisa Joseph-Metelus will represent Williamson. …
Joseph-Metelus worked closely with future Hall of Famer Dwyane Wade throughout his career, guiding much of his brand-building away from the floor."

I just listened to that clip. Jay Williams said that Jay-Z and RocNation sent a private plane to SC to pick him up for a pitch session and Zion wasn't interested so the plane turned around and flew back?!?! I clearly chose the wrong profession. I should have been an otherworldly sports god. The fanciest I feel on a plane is upgrading to economy plus for that extra 6 inches of leg room.

sagegrouse
05-31-2019, 10:56 AM
I just listened to that clip. Jay Williams said that Jay-Z and RocNation sent a private plane to SC to pick him up for a pitch session and Zion wasn't interested so the plane turned around and flew back?!?! I clearly chose the wrong profession. I should have been an otherworldly sports god. The fanciest I feel on a plane is upgrading to economy plus for that extra 6 inches of leg room.

BTW, this kid turning down a private jet ride is not yet 19 years old. He has some balance in his life at a young age that seems amazing.

brevity
05-31-2019, 11:40 AM

So should we blame Lisa Joseph-Metelus for not teaching Dwyane Wade basic grocery knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3nSUXOVMNA

Acymetric
05-31-2019, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but if you ain't got one of the Ball brothers . . . .

(Or does their dad do all of that?)

I didn't list him, but they represent Lonzo Ball. ;)

MCFinARL
05-31-2019, 12:09 PM
Out on the road today
I saw a Duke Hoops sticker on a Cadillac.
A little voice inside my head said
"Don't look back.
You can never look back."

Zion is like a steam locomotive, rolling down the tracks. He's gone, he's gone. And nothin's gonna bring him back. . . .

Double duty musical references! Impressive.

PS I would have put this in a comment instead of posting, but "you must spread...." etc.

MCFinARL
05-31-2019, 12:14 PM
So should we blame Lisa Joseph-Metelus for not teaching Dwyane Wade basic grocery knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3nSUXOVMNA

Well, it said she was responsible for brand-building, not brand awareness.

Gabrielle Union, meanwhile, is doing some terrific brand-building here for the future Dwyane and Gabrielle reality show.....

JasonEvans
05-31-2019, 12:16 PM

In my post, I was just talking about folks represented by Austin Brown, not a general list of CAA clients. Brown and Lisa Joseph-Metelus will be the two CAA folks taking the lead on all things Zion.

Acymetric
05-31-2019, 12:20 PM
In my post, I was just talking about folks represented by Austin Brown, not a general list of CAA clients. Brown and Lisa Joseph-Metelus will be the two CAA folks taking the lead on all things Zion.

Fair enough, a lot of the original posts seemed to mostly just be referencing CAA generally.

awhom111
05-31-2019, 09:28 PM
Just because some people are calling it an upset a) doesn’t mean they are right and b) doesn’t make them not big time. Some would argue it was an upset for Duke to get Zion yet no one would argue we aren’t big time.

CAA is particularly big in entertainment. The worlds of sports and entertainment are increasingly becoming the same, so a big entertainment agency makes perfect sense.

Please do a little homework before posting. The “ready, fire, aim” approach is not encouraged around here.

Given that even big basketball fans probably can't name very many agencies or agents, it's no surprise that all the chatter was about the two agencies that have managed to get some recognition since they started.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2019, 09:42 PM

First of all, your Duke Clemson analogy was totally backwards. In that regard, Duke WAS the big time choice, and Clemson would've been the proper analogy for CAA, as I stated.

Second of all, CAA is big in entertainment, and that might make this a brilliant choice by Zion. That said, the people who follow this (I'm not one of them) were surprised by this. That does make it an upset. An upset is not necessarily a bad thing or a bad choice. Why the problem with the term upset?

Homework done. Readied, fired, aimed....

TruBlu
06-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Okay. I am reluctantly accept that Zion is not coming back. But according to info on the main page, he has a younger brother. Has he been offered a scholarship for the class of 20xx? Lock him in now!!!