PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Gardeners

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Green
05-29-2019, 07:55 PM
Are there any backyard gardeners on DBR? I'm currently growing tomatoes, peppers, green beans, eggplant, squash, cucumbers and okra. I have plants growing in the ground and in pots. Here is a Husky Red cherry tomato plant I have growing in a large pot:

BLTs on rye bread featuring Cherokee Purple tomatoes are a wonderful summertime meal. Blue Cheese salad dressing is my condiment of choice:

OldPhiKap
05-29-2019, 08:17 PM
Great idea for a thread.

Pictures later, but all of mine are in pots.

Veggies/fruits I have are blueberries, three kinds of peppers, four kinds of tomatoes, two zucchini, squash, and ocra.

Herbs are sage, parsley, rosemary, oregano, dill, thyme, basil, chives, and mint.

Yes, I like to cook.

PackMan97
05-29-2019, 08:24 PM
Four different blueberries, two plum trees, two apple trees, a bunch of roma tomatoes, some jalopeno, a few squash (which the rabbits are enjoying) and some potatoes.

It's fun and makes me thankful for modern supermarkets ;)

Indoor66
05-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Four different blueberries, two plum trees, two apple trees, a bunch of roma tomatoes, some jalopeno, a few squash (which the rabbits are enjoying) and some potatoes.

It's fun and makes me thankful for modern supermarkets ;)

And a Partridge in a pear tree. 🎶🕺🏼🎵

devildeac
05-29-2019, 10:14 PM
Are there any backyard gardeners on DBR? I'm currently growing tomatoes, peppers, green beans, eggplant, squash, cucumbers and okra. I have plants growing in the ground and in pots. Here is a Husky Red cherry tomato plant I have growing in a large pot:

BLTs on rye bread featuring Cherokee Purple tomatoes are a wonderful summertime meal. Blue Cheese salad dressing is my condiment of choice:

Will any of those tomatoes sill be available for our first tailgate on 9/7/19? :o

Bob Green
05-30-2019, 05:35 AM
Will any of those tomatoes sill be available for our first tailgate on 9/7/19? :o

I will save some for you.

budwom
05-30-2019, 08:11 AM
There are so many things you can plant in the garden these days, so many wonderful things!

OldPhiKap
05-30-2019, 08:49 AM
There are so many things you can plant in the garden these days, so many wonderful things!

Depends on your state of residency, I suppose.

devildeac
05-30-2019, 09:16 AM
I will save some for you.

You are a kind man (even if I proofread poorly and can't spell "still" correctly:o). I will be sure you're not thirsty that afternoon ;).

left_hook_lacey
05-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Downsized this year because of time commitments to other things. But we have onions, tomatoes, squash, garden peas, and and various herbs. Our basil is doing the best it's ever done this year.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Downsized this year because of time commitments to other things. But we have onions, tomatoes, squash, garden peas, and and various herbs. Our basil is doing the best it's ever done this year.

Same here with the basil. I literally cannot eat it quickly enough, and I use it on everything.

First squash came out overnight, first pepper about a week ago. I've got green tomatoes coming out of the woodwork, it's gonna be a saucy summer.

budwom
05-30-2019, 01:25 PM
One of the benefits of my Open Lawn policy (anything that grows is welcome, not gonna fertilize or poison stuff) is that I have about a 50 yard strip of thyme which grows on part of my lawn....if you ever need a few pounds of thyme and happen to be in my neighborhood, do stop by....nice flowers, doesn't grow high, thyme is a very nice yard citizen...

left_hook_lacey
05-30-2019, 03:07 PM
Same here with the basil. I literally cannot eat it quickly enough, and I use it on everything.

First squash came out overnight, first pepper about a week ago. I've got green tomatoes coming out of the woodwork, it's gonna be a saucy summer.

Same here. Mrs. Lefthook chops it up and adds oil and other herbs and spices and freezes it into cubes in ice trays. Then, when we cook, just pop a cube out and throw it in the pot, or when I smoke something like salmon, I'll lay a few cubes on top and let it melt.

BigWayne
05-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Purchase of a fishing boat has slowed down my gardening for this year, but I did get my tomatoes in the ground on schedule in a bid to recreate something similar to last year's crop. Other than that, I have basil and parsley planted and being defended from the snails with rosemary, fennel, thyme being perennials in this climate. Also have rhubarb which is evergreen here.

Bob Green
05-30-2019, 07:33 PM
...but I did get my tomatoes in the ground on schedule in a bid to recreate something similar to last year's crop.

Those are some nice looking tomatoes. I wish you luck with your recreation efforts.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2019, 08:08 PM
Purchase of a fishing boat has slowed down my gardening for this year, but I did get my tomatoes in the ground on schedule in a bid to recreate something similar to last year's crop. Other than that, I have basil and parsley planted and being defended from the snails with rosemary, fennel, thyme being perennials in this climate. Also have rhubarb which is evergreen here.

Nice. You must have planted in March to have the tomatoes turning red already?

Something is eating my sage, not sure what. Squirrels?

BigWayne
05-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Nice. You must have planted in March to have the tomatoes turning red already?

Something is eating my sage, not sure what. Squirrels?

That's last year's pic. Plants are only 1-3 feet now and no fruit yet. They grow about 8 feet high by August. Our summer season is shifted here by 6-8 weeks from the southeast. Average high this week is 70 and low is 52. If I get a ripe tomato by July 1st, that is early. However, I usually still have ripe ones on Thanksgiving day.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2019, 09:24 PM
That's last year's pic. Plants are only 1-3 feet now and no fruit yet. They grow about 8 feet high by August. Our summer season is shifted here by 6-8 weeks from the southeast. Average high this week is 70 and low is 52. If I get a ripe tomato by July 1st, that is early. However, I usually still have ripe ones on Thanksgiving day.

Ok, sorry if it missed that. Will try to take a few photos tomorrow. Tomatoes coming in like gangbusters. Changes all the soil in all pots this year, improved drainage, etc. Didn’t plant until mid-April but everything is just banging right now.

budwom
05-31-2019, 07:50 AM

that's like the Berlin Wall of Tomatoes...Tear Down That Wall Mr Big Wayne!

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2019, 05:29 PM
So here's my garden, since I am finally starting to harvest a few things. I do everything in containers, which is great for weeding, not so great for maintenance free watering. And, when you are in a literal drought with back to back to back 90+ degree days, it is very high maintenance.
I know our city water is pretty acidic, so I use rain water as much as often. To make that work, I have three rain barrels. Two are fed by gutters, and the third is simply emptied into by one barrel when it is full. I can fill a watering can very easily, and my garden is small enough that it is not too time consuming to soak everything.
When it all runs dry, I have to rely on our hose. Bleah.
Anyway, long story short, I am going to be doing some canning this weekend. I've got lots of cucumbers to pickle, and banana peppers ready to go. There are over 50 green tomatoes staring at me, and I'm looking forward to putting them all in jars. By summer's end, I should have about 3x that yield.
I do have one "patio" cherry tomato plant going, simply because I love to snack on them as I water and feed everything.

devildeac
05-31-2019, 05:32 PM
So here's my garden, since I am finally starting to harvest a few things. I do everything in containers, which is great for weeding, not so great for maintenance free watering. And, when you are in a literal drought with back to back to back 90+ degree days, it is very high maintenance.
I know our city water is pretty acidic, so I use rain water as much as often. To make that work, I have three rain barrels. Two are fed by gutters, and the third is simply emptied into by one barrel when it is full. I can fill a watering can very easily, and my garden is small enough that it is not too time consuming to soak everything.
When it all runs dry, I have to rely on our hose. Bleah.
Anyway, long story short, I am going to be doing some canning this weekend. I've got lots of cucumbers to pickle, and banana peppers ready to go. There are over 50 green tomatoes staring at me, and I'm looking forward to putting them all in jars. By summer's end, I should have about 3x that yield.
I do have one "patio" cherry tomato plant going, simply because I love to snack on them as I water and feed everything.

Instead of beer? :rolleyes:;)

Photos look great!

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2019, 06:20 PM
Instead of beer? :rolleyes:;)

Photos look great!

There are some future ABTs in there. (Apparently gravity defying...for which beer is not to blame)

BigWayne
05-31-2019, 06:30 PM
that's like the Berlin Wall of Tomatoes...Tear Down That Wall Mr Big Wayne!

Since it won't rain between now and October here, I can plant them pretty tightly together. Back in Georgia, I had to space them out further apart to prevent fungus. There are only 6 tomato plants in this photo. Foreground is a basil plant.

This pic shows the support structure style I like to use to get them to grow that tall.

left_hook_lacey
05-31-2019, 06:43 PM
Since it won't rain between now and October here, I can plant them pretty tightly together. Back in Georgia, I had to space them out further apart to prevent fungus. There are only 6 tomato plants in this photo. Foreground is a basil plant.

This pic shows the support structure style I like to use to get them to grow that tall.

I'm having small man syndrome looking at those tomatoes and that basil plant.

Devilwin
06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Early Girl and Cherokee Purple tomatoes, yellow squash, okra, and watermelons are all I am messing with this year. Harvested three Early Girl tomatoes today. :cool:

OldPhiKap
06-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Early Girl and Cherokee Purple tomatoes, yellow squash, okra, and watermelons are all I am messing with this year. Harvested three Early Girl tomatoes today. :cool:

When did you plant them?

Reilly
06-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Something is eating my sage, not sure what ...

An uncontrollable urge to share not-so-humble opinions?

Devilwin
06-03-2019, 06:12 PM
When did you plant them?

Got the three potted plants about a month ago. They had several small tomatoes on them when we purchased the plants.

OldPhiKap
06-03-2019, 06:34 PM
Got the three potted plants about a month ago. They had several small tomatoes on them when we purchased the plants.

That ‘sprains it. I have about 50 tomatoes 🍅 on four different plants (different varieties) but all still green. Planted in mid-April.

jacone21
06-04-2019, 02:14 PM
I have a couple of nice Better Bush plants going now. I have to wrap the cages in chicken wire to keep the squirrels from stealing the ripe tomatoes. I used shade cloth on them during our unusually early heat wave the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping that shading them in the afternoon helped them continue to set fruit. I planted them the week of Good Friday and I hope to pick some fruit in a couple of weeks. I used to plant lots of other things like squash and peppers, but there's so much inexpensive produce available around here this time of year that it's really not worth the effort and expense to grow them. Other than for the satisfaction, it makes more sense to go around the corner to the farm and get fresh produce practically free.

BigWayne
06-05-2019, 04:34 AM
I have a couple of nice Better Bush plants going now. I have to wrap the cages in chicken wire to keep the squirrels from stealing the ripe tomatoes. I used shade cloth on them during our unusually early heat wave the last couple of weeks. I'm hoping that shading them in the afternoon helped them continue to set fruit. I planted them the week of Good Friday and I hope to pick some fruit in a couple of weeks. I used to plant lots of other things like squash and peppers, but there's so much inexpensive produce available around here this time of year that it's really not worth the effort and expense to grow them. Other than for the satisfaction, it makes more sense to go around the corner to the farm and get fresh produce practically free.

My dad in NC wraps each really good green tomato in chicken wire to try to defeat the squirrels. He tried stuff similar to what you show, but they would always get in. Neighborhood cats do the job pretty well for me here.

Bob Green
06-05-2019, 04:43 PM
The wind is howling and it is pouring down rain at my house right now. I looked out in my backyard and see the wood trellis with green beans growing up it has been blown over. This trellis is several years old so once I am able to get out in the yard I expect to find that the wood legs snapped off at ground level due to being partially rotted already. This is especially disappointing as the green beans were looking good. My wife had already picked beans off twice and they taste as good as they look. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to salvage the trellis and bean plants.

In the good news department, I harvested a zucchini today and ate my first ripe cherry tomato. My Early Girl tomato plant has two tomatoes starting to turn red. I planted it the third week of April.

CameronBornAndBred
06-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Hopefully, I can figure out a way to salvage the trellis and bean plants.

Plants are amazingly hardy, I bet you can do it.

When I transplanted my banana peppers early on, they were about a foot tall. One of them, I snapped in half somehow, I was sooo bummed out. But, I figured since I had nothing to lose, I'd splint it. Using some masking tape and three or four toothpicks, I wrapped it up tight at the break.

I ain't kidding, it was nearly to the point of one good pluck would have separated the top from the bottom where the deep cut was.

I just canned a bunch of peppers off that plant, and it is about 4' tall, just like the others that are next to it.

So...Go Bob's Beans! (Bob Green Beans, to be exact.)

House G
06-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Speaking of basil, my wife made some fabulous pesto this week with basil from our garden. I believe she used basil, pistachio nuts, olive oil, and garlic:

House G
06-05-2019, 06:22 PM
So far, we have had: Asparagus:
Onions:
Strike (green) beans:
Peaches:
Blueberries:

CameronBornAndBred
06-05-2019, 06:38 PM
So far, we have had:
Peaches:

Droooool...

While of course those aren't out of a "garden", fresh off the tree fruit can't be beat! Share pics of your trees.

CameronBornAndBred
06-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Droooool...

While of course those aren't out of a "garden", fresh off the tree fruit can't be beat! Share pics of your trees.

PS, to add to that. At the gallery, we have a good number of mulberry trees in our back yard and driveway. Two weeks per year, those things are a blessing and a curse. Curse, because every footstep you take is purple, blessing because they make an incredible cobbler.

Bob Green
06-05-2019, 06:53 PM
So far, we have had:
Strike (green) beans:

Those are some nice looking green beans.

House G
06-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Droooool...

Peach:
Fig:
Lime:
Pineapple guava:

CameronBornAndBred
06-06-2019, 01:30 PM
^^^^Nice!

PackMan97
06-06-2019, 01:57 PM
My blackberry bushes are going gangbusters right now. Going to get a nice harvest in their second year. My blueberries aren't doing as well. Just not enough production yet to overwhelm the birds in our yard :/

House G
06-06-2019, 02:25 PM
I feel like I’m overdoing it, but it’s fun to share these garden pics:

Basil:

Purple hull peas:

Muscadines (grapes):

Sweet corn:

Cucumber:

Snow peas:

House G
06-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Garlic:

Purple hull peas:

Early squash:

Strawberries:

Cantaloupe:

bundabergdevil
06-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Garlic:

Purple hull peas:

Early squash:

Strawberries:

Cantaloupe:

Whoa, that all looks great! Is this all for personal consumption? It seems like quite a bit. Except for the garlic, I could eat all that garlic!

My wife and I moved into our first home last year and we're thinking through a phased build out of personal gardens. This season we're just doing some herbs and - because we're chili heads - some habaneros, jalapenos, and New Mexico Big Jims. Next year I'd like to scale up and build a proper, dedicated veggie garden.

Bob Green
06-06-2019, 06:12 PM
I saved my green beans by driving a couple of support stakes in the ground and nailing the trellis to the stakes. One of the secrets to being a successful backyard gardener is to plant stuff that is easy to grow. My garden contains six Ichiban eggplants four in the ground and two in pots. All six are already producing fruit.

jacone21
06-06-2019, 10:00 PM
All these pictures are great! I think House G is Roger Swain.

House G
06-06-2019, 10:53 PM
All these pictures are great! I think House G is Roger Swain.

Lol. I had to look up Roger Swain. I’m happy to post pictures but I don’t want to come across as arrogant or boastful. My wife and I just love to garden and we grow everything organically. We end up giving a lot of our food away. She actually is the one with the green thumb (her mother was a master gardener) and she has taught me the importance of eating food grown in nutrient-rich soil. I took this picture earlier today of her next to a squash plant growing in a container on our patio:

Bob Green
06-07-2019, 02:52 PM
That's a nice photo. Thanks for sharing. How do you and your wife counter the squash vine borer? I've two zucchini plants that have already produced three nice zucchini between them but one of the plants is starting to look droopy. I suspect a SVB has gotten to it.

House G
06-07-2019, 08:03 PM
That's a nice photo. Thanks for sharing. How do you and your wife counter the squash vine borer? I've two zucchini plants that have already produced three nice zucchini between them but one of the plants is starting to look droopy. I suspect a SVB has gotten to it.

My wife says she has had a problem with borers in the past. This year, she has planted all of her squash in rubber tubs that are designed for animal (livestock) feeding/watering. She drills large holes in the bottom for drainage and then puts a screen in the bottom before adding the soil. They are elevated off of the ground on bricks or rollers. She is hoping this will prevent the borer problem but isn’t sure. Here is one of these in her garden (it is hard to tell but it is sitting on bricks):

OldPhiKap
06-07-2019, 10:27 PM
I put marble stones in all my bases this year, to elevate the pot from being flush with the base and trapping drainage. Then worries that it would impact my pH. Looking god for now . . . . .

budwom
06-08-2019, 08:24 AM
I put marble stones in all my bases this year, to elevate the pot from being flush with the base and trapping drainage. Then worries that it would impact my pH. Looking god for now . . . . .

ah yes, gotta have some stones on the bottom, and pots with those nice drainage holes on the sides adjacent to the bottoms...when you have a three month growing season, details matter...

OldPhiKap
06-08-2019, 08:50 AM
ah yes, gotta have some stones on the bottom, and pots with those nice drainage holes on the sides adjacent to the bottoms...when you have a three month growing season, details matter...

I had a few bad root rot problems last year, so did a massive soil replace and drainage upgrade to everything.

PackMan97
06-08-2019, 09:38 AM
She is hoping this will prevent the borer problem but isn’t sure.

Aren't vine borers a flying wasp looking insect? So I don't know that elevating it from the soil would help.

The best advice I've heard to combat vine borers is to start indoor and plant them outdoor as early as possible. Basically, you need to have a late spring crop...and then maybe try for more again late summer/early fall after the vine borers mating is done. It's the eggs that get lain on the squash and then bore down to the roots and kill the plant.

Of course, your containers would solve the problem I'm having with our squash this year. The darned rabbits are eating our flowers and baby squash!

Bob Green
06-09-2019, 01:10 PM
I've never tried to grow squash or zucchini in a pot but the photo of Ms. House G's plant certainly inspires me to give it a go. I've had a lot of luck with cherry tomato plants in pots. Here is a photo of a cherry tomato plant that is overflowing its faux whiskey barrel pot:

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Thankfully we finally got some rain, and my barrels are filled back up with water. Also, thankfully, the rain came while I was gone to Ocracoke for the weekend. I was way worried about coming back to a very wilted garden.
Instead, I've got literally dozens of new cucumbers in action, and a few ripe ones. Same with everything else, including the squash, peppers, and tomatoes.

A shot for size reference of my Wall of Green. (I'm 6'4"...and that cuke is a little over 18". ps...I did not use the "man's ruler")

Bob Green
06-12-2019, 04:47 PM
A side effect of backyard gardening is cooking. This afternoon I made Spicy Meatball Soup. The meatballs are made from venison sausage from a deer shot by my dad. The soup contains yellow squash, okra and red chili pepper that came from my garden. The onion, garlic and tomatoes came from the grocery store.

Side note: I made the meatballs with the last package of venison sausage in my freezer. There will be no more as my dad passed last month at 88 years young. This pot of soup will be savored.

OldPhiKap
06-12-2019, 05:08 PM
A side effect of backyard gardening is cooking. This afternoon I made Spicy Meatball Soup. The meatballs are made from venison sausage from a deer shot by my dad. The soup contains yellow squash, okra and red chili pepper that came from my garden. The onion, garlic and tomatoes came from the grocery store.

Side note: I made the meatballs with the last package of venison sausage in my freezer. There will be no more as my dad passed last month at 88 years young. This pot of soup will be savored.

Condolences on the passing of your father; it sounds like a life well-spent.

Soup looks great!

CameronBornAndBred
06-12-2019, 05:34 PM

I'm going to miss your dad joining us at tailgates, he was always a welcome smile.

I made a spicy meatball meal last night, too, with my first harvested eggplant in marinara and mozzarella. Mostly an eggplant parmesan. My girlfriend almost melted, she doesn't do spicy so well.

CameronBornAndBred
06-16-2019, 04:24 PM
My squash finally got hit by borers (took way longer than usual and I got a dinner out of them before their demise), and my lettuce was done, so I cleared out the containers they were in. In each one, I found a small egg. The first was so tiny I thought it was a bit of fertilizer. The second one is twice as big.

I think both are lizards, and at least one is likely to be an anole. I doubt they are snakes, since they were in pots that a small snake would have a tough time climbing up into. Gonna find out; I'm incubating them. :D

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2019, 12:03 PM
My squash finally got hit by borers (took way longer than usual and I got a dinner out of them before their demise), and my lettuce was done, so I cleared out the containers they were in. In each one, I found a small egg. The first was so tiny I thought it was a bit of fertilizer. The second one is twice as big.

I think both are lizards, and at least one is likely to be an anole. I doubt they are snakes, since they were in pots that a small snake would have a tough time climbing up into. Gonna find out; I'm incubating them. :D

Well, that was good timing. The larger egg hatched this morning, and as expected, turned out to be an anole.

Growing your own lizard in your squash is still gardening, right?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Well, that was good timing. The larger egg hatched this morning, and as expected, turned out to be an anole.

Growing your own lizard in your squash is still gardening, right?

Ha! Growing up, I would capture anoles at my grandmother's house in Sanford, NC and cart them back to Charlotte. They are entertaining animals.

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Ha! Growing up, I would capture anoles at my grandmother's house in Sanford, NC and cart them back to Charlotte. They are entertaining animals.

Yep, as a kid I had more than a few. Always loved going to the beach and trying to catch them. The further south you go, the bigger they seemed to get. In Hilton Head, there were some truly huge ones. (Damn things could bite, hard, too!)
I'll eventually let this one go, but not here at the house. I'd love to turn him loose in the same garden his mom put him in, but my cats think they taste like chicken.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Yep, as a kid I had more than a few. Always loved going to the beach and trying to catch them. The further south you go, the bigger they seemed to get. In Hilton Head, there were some truly huge ones. (Damn things could bite, hard, too!)
I'll eventually let this one go, but not here at the house. I'd love to turn him loose in the same garden his mom put him in, but my cats think they taste like chicken.

I eventually graduated to an iguana. But that's a story for a different thread. Now all my pets have fur.

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2019, 02:29 PM
I eventually graduated to an iguana. But that's a story for a different thread. Now all my pets have fur.

My garden apparently has fur. Just checked, and two tomatoes have chunks out of them, and one of my baby cukes is now a little more babyish looking than yesterday.

I need to have a talk with my above said cats...they ain't doing their job. Guessing squirrels...but whoever it was climbed through a jungle for lunch.

Indoor66
06-17-2019, 02:35 PM

Come down here to South Florida and we can supply all of the Iguanas you want - PLEASE!

CameronBornAndBred
06-17-2019, 03:08 PM
PS...(and keeping on topic). I've been reluctant to use chemical pest treatments. I'm not an organic enthusiast, I love me some Miracle Gro, but I'm leery about spraying what I eat with lord knows what.
Now, I am encouraged even more so to stick to that, since I have proof positive that dinosaurs are on my side, running around my plants, and eating the bad guys.

budwom
06-17-2019, 04:39 PM
We are very partial to the spray product Invisible Fence, deer and rabbit repellent...plus it contains no noxious chemicals, only things like rotten egg solution and some pepper...the deer get one taste and move on to something else, someplace else.

-jk
06-17-2019, 06:06 PM

We had a bearded dragon when we lost power for several days in Snowmageddon, and things got cold! Our (then pilot-lit) gas hot water heater gave us a warm tub and steamy bathroom.

Worked for a couple days, then we decamped to a friend's house...

All for the dragon, of course!

-jk

left_hook_lacey
06-21-2019, 10:36 AM
We are very partial to the spray product Invisible Fence, deer and rabbit repellent...plus it contains no noxious chemicals, only things like rotten egg solution and some pepper...the deer get one taste and move on to something else, someplace else.

We use coyote urine. You can get it at Tractor Supply or pretty much any local hardware store. Just put it in a sprayer and spray a barrier 3 or 4 yards around the exterior of your garden. Deer and other early morning munchers will stay away.

Word to the wise, if you decide to put it in a backpack sprayer(I had a large area to cover), make sure the seals haven't dry rotted so the stuff doesn't drip down your back the whole time. I had to burn my clothes and the kids and my wife didn't want to let me in the house. :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
06-21-2019, 10:53 AM
I had to burn my clothes and the kids and my wife didn't want to let me in the house. :cool:

Commas are important! Hope the kids didn't suffer too much trauma...

budwom
06-21-2019, 11:36 AM
We use coyote urine. You can get it at Tractor Supply or pretty much any local hardware store. Just put it in a sprayer and spray a barrier 3 or 4 yards around the exterior of your garden. Deer and other early morning munchers will stay away.

Word to the wise, if you decide to put it in a backpack sprayer(I had a large area to cover), make sure the seals haven't dry rotted so the stuff doesn't drip down your back the whole time. I had to burn my clothes and the kids and my wife didn't want to let me in the house. :cool:

Ha, years ago I used to take the dogs down to urinate on the area, I would join them. Great family fun...have also used the coyote stuff, but the Invisible Fence product is so much easier to use, I strongly recommend that....does not require burning any clothes, just smells like rotten eggs, though with the spray bottle it's easy to avoid contaminating yourself.

Bob Green
06-23-2019, 07:45 AM
One of the vegetables growing in my garden is Philippine squash called Upo. Here are a couple of photos. The first is of the plant growing up the trellis and the second is of a squash hanging behind the plant.

budwom
06-23-2019, 12:30 PM
The Underhill Garden Club is meeting chez nous today, delicious grill items will be served along with strawberry shortcake. Challenges and techniques for growing certain types of plants shall be discussed. There will be cocktails.
Current conditions: sunny, 79 degrees, 34% relative humidity, dewpoint of 48.

devildeac
06-23-2019, 01:27 PM
The Underhill Garden Club is meeting chez nous today, delicious grill items will be served along with strawberry shortcake. Challenges and techniques for growing certain types of plants shall be discussed. There will be cocktails.
Current conditions: sunny, 79 degrees, 34% relative humidity, dewpoint of 48.

Those atmospheric conditions rivaled those of Raleigh in the last couple weeks:D, last few days, not so much:(.

budwom
06-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Those atmospheric conditions rivaled those of Raleigh in the last couple weeks:D, last few days, not so much:(.

I see Raleigh is cooler than here right now, very impressive, only 76...

Billy Dat
06-25-2019, 09:50 AM
I can claim no credit, but I thought I'd brag on my wife and her father who have been tending this plot for several years.

The first few rows are lettuce, carrots are to the left and herbs to the right in the next few rows. The tall vines crawling up those metal cylinders are sugar snap peas which are obscuring the broccoli. A second plot to the left has tomatoes and pumpkins. We've been eating the lettuce and broccoli and the various herbs. The tomatoes haven't started popping yet. The carrots have never really taken but they keep trying each year. Last year we got ravaged by rabbits. This year there is a pesky red squirrel who keeps invading but he hasn't done too much damage, yet.

budwom
06-25-2019, 11:39 AM
I can claim no credit, but I thought I'd brag on my wife and her father who have been tending this plot for several years.

The first few rows are lettuce, carrots are to the left and herbs to the right in the next few rows. The tall vines crawling up those metal cylinders are sugar snap peas which are obscuring the broccoli. A second plot to the left has tomatoes and pumpkins. We've been eating the lettuce and broccoli and the various herbs. The tomatoes haven't started popping yet. The carrots have never really taken but they keep trying each year. Last year we got ravaged by rabbits. This year there is a pesky red squirrel who keeps invading but he hasn't done too much damage, yet.

I got the name wrong in a previous posting: Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit repellent...works great, non toxic, spray your stuff early, the first nibble taken will likely be the last...saves our stuff every year...

House G
06-26-2019, 07:05 AM
My wife ran across this male black widow yesterday under a bucket in our back yard—these spiders are ubiquitous in our neck of the woods.

Indoor66
06-26-2019, 08:20 AM
My wife ran across this male black widow yesterday under a bucket in our back yard—these spiders are ubiquitous in our neck of the woods.

They also hang out in your area...:cool:

CameronBornAndBred
06-27-2019, 02:44 AM

They get a bad rap. Sucks they live under rocks, because they are so cool looking.
PSA...look, don't touch.

BigWayne
09-29-2019, 02:29 PM
Our season here is delayed from what most of you see. Still in the peak of my tomato run. Been making fresh salsa, bruschetta, even some Tomato jam.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/tomato_8ft.jpg

http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/garden_bowl.jpg

jacone21
09-29-2019, 09:41 PM
Our season here is delayed from what most of you see. Still in the peak of my tomato run. Been making fresh salsa, bruschetta, even some Tomato jam.

Great job! Those gnarly red peppers look like they might have some kick!

For the first time ever, I planted some late season tomatoes, a variety called Heat Master. I've never harvested a tomato in October before. This year I'm going for a November one. Currently, we're experiencing mid July temps here. Tomorrow's forecast calls for 95 degrees... ironically, too hot for many varieties to set fruit.

PackMan97
09-30-2019, 10:28 AM
What eats tomato buds and tops?

This year my tomato plants looked glorious but I didn't get to eat a single danged tomato because their were none! Something ate them all and would munch on the top of the plant as well. What does this to poor defenseless tomato plants?

budwom
09-30-2019, 11:32 AM

This year my tomato plants looked glorious but I didn't get to eat a single danged tomato because their were none! Something ate them all and would munch on the top of the plant as well. What does this to poor defenseless tomato plants?

I am no expert, but I did watch a neighbor who is a growing savant step outside the other night with a blacklight in search of hornworms, big fat long green worms that are not nice to tomatoes...but the world is filled with savage bugs, so it could be something else, too.

BigWayne
09-30-2019, 02:27 PM

budwom's guess is a good one.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_480w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/07/31/LocalLiving/Images/bigstock-Tomato-Hornworm-31734068.jpg

This is from a guide to tomato growing I wrote back when we lived in Georgia and had to deal with these:

These are green striped worms with a red 'horn' on their tail end. They can quickly devour a lot of tomato leaves. You will probably see the defoliation of tips of branches and/or the dropping pellets before you see the worm, as they are masters of disguise. You need to periodically scan your plants for these pests. You do not generally need to spray them. You can usually just pick the worms off and crush them. My children get very excited about this. If they have a lot of white casings on them, leave them alone as they are infested with a parasite moth that kills them.

https://www.almanac.com/sites/default/files/users/AlmanacStaffArchive/get-rid-of-hornworms_full_width.jpg

bundabergdevil
11-17-2019, 06:40 PM
I turned 40-50 jalapenos and habaneros left on my plants into "cowboy candy". They've been stewing in the beautiful sweet, vinegary, spicy syrup I made for them for several weeks. Popped them open tonight and they're hitting the darn spot on crackers with cream cheese. Very happy camper right now.

budwom
11-18-2019, 08:14 AM
our growing season ended a long time ago, but today I noticed that the deer have foraged through the snow and eaten many of our pumpkins, a sure sign that pickings are slim out there.

devildeac
11-18-2019, 01:00 PM
our growing season ended a long time ago, but today I noticed that the deer have foraged through the snow and eaten many of our pumpkins, a sure sign that pickings are slim out there.

You should be harvesting your ice blocks/cubes and snow cones very soon.

budwom
11-18-2019, 03:23 PM
You should be harvesting your ice blocks/cubes and snow cones very soon.

Weather Advisory for freezing rain and ice accumulation, something I know NC residents have had some experience with...good thing all the vegetation kicked the bucket weeks ago

devildeac
11-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Weather Advisory for freezing rain and ice accumulation, something I know NC residents have had some experience with...good thing all the vegetation kicked the bucket weeks ago

They might cancel schools in our county and surrounding areas with that Vermont forecast you posted:rolleyes::mad:.

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2020, 02:15 PM
We decided to put up a greenhouse behind our business, so I spent the last few days building this. We used lots of old windows, and wrapped the rest in plastic sheeting. Next winter, instead of sheeting it will be filled with polycarbonate panels. That spot gets great light in the winter when all the leaves are down. In the warmer months, the plastic will be replaced with screening, and it will become a butterfly house. It is 6' x 12' x 8' tall.
Can't wait to get some seeds going in it this week!

fidel
02-04-2020, 06:47 PM
where does the TV go?

how does one transition between butterfly's and plants, if I may ask?

OldPhiKap
02-04-2020, 06:51 PM
budwom's guess is a good one.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_480w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/07/31/LocalLiving/Images/bigstock-Tomato-Hornworm-31734068.jpg

This is from a guide to tomato growing I wrote back when we lived in Georgia and had to deal with these:

These are green striped worms with a red 'horn' on their tail end. They can quickly devour a lot of tomato leaves. You will probably see the defoliation of tips of branches and/or the dropping pellets before you see the worm, as they are masters of disguise. You need to periodically scan your plants for these pests. You do not generally need to spray them. You can usually just pick the worms off and crush them. My children get very excited about this. If they have a lot of white casings on them, leave them alone as they are infested with a parasite moth that kills them.

https://www.almanac.com/sites/default/files/users/AlmanacStaffArchive/get-rid-of-hornworms_full_width.jpg

These are nasty, and quick

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2020, 07:13 PM
where does the TV go?

how does one transition between butterfly's and plants, if I may ask?

TV better be battery operated, because the building is off the grid. Going to add some solar powered fans, and a solar powered water pump to feed from a rain barrel.
For the transition, the plastic will be replaced with hardware cloth netting. Plants will still grow inside, but they'll be caterpillar and butterfly food. (The butterflies will be released, only local species.)

CameronBornAndBred
02-10-2020, 10:15 PM
We decided to put up a greenhouse behind our business, so I spent the last few days building this. We used lots of old windows, and wrapped the rest in plastic sheeting. Next winter, instead of sheeting it will be filled with polycarbonate panels. That spot gets great light in the winter when all the leaves are down. In the warmer months, the plastic will be replaced with screening, and it will become a butterfly house. It is 6' x 12' x 8' tall.
Can't wait to get some seeds going in it this week!

We started seeds this weekend! :D

budwom
02-11-2020, 06:18 AM
with two feet of snow on the ground, the best we can come up with, vis a vis dirt and the garden, are snow fleas, who somehow travel thru the snow to hop around on the surface for some unknown reason. Bizarre little guys. (they do not bite)

Bob Green
02-11-2020, 07:56 AM

I look forward to getting seeds started but I am waiting until mid-March. I tend to start too soon.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2020, 08:43 AM

What an excellent looking set up! Is that a new greenhouse?

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2020, 09:33 AM
What an excellent looking set up! Is that a new greenhouse?

Yes, I built it last week. It's 6' x 12'. (There are more interior and exterior pics up above somewhere.) We decided that we spend way too much money buying flowers, so we now have a place to grow our own. I've got my herb and veggie seeds planted as well.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Yes, I built it last week. It's 6' x 12'. (There are more interior and exterior pics up above somewhere.) We decided that we spend way too much money buying flowers, so we now have a place to grow our own. I've got my herb and veggie seeds planted as well.

That's my wife's dream. Did you buy a kit or is it piece built?

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2020, 10:31 AM
That's my wife's dream. Did you buy a kit or is it piece built?

I built it of my own design, pretty much made it up as I went along. The windows are old ones that came from our house and a neighbor's house. I built it in about a week and a half. It is behind the building we work in, so I was able to do it on slow days.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Kudos to you. I'm definitely not that crafty.

CameronBornAndBred
03-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Has anyone done anything with straw bale gardening? My step dad has done this for a few years, and had great success. Now that I have the greenhouse, I've decided to give it a go, too. I'm in the prep stage of fertilizing/composting the bales, and should be ready to plant by next weekend. We don't have as many deer as the trough cam, but we've got enough to do damage, so I had to fence in my garden.
I'll be putting tomatoes, squash, lettuce, broccoli, peppers, and beans in, plus "etc", whatever that winds up being.
It is 12' x 14' total.

PackMan97
03-07-2020, 05:09 AM
Has anyone done anything with straw bale gardening? My step dad has done this for a few years, and had great success. Now that I have the greenhouse, I've decided to give it a go, too. I'm in the prep stage of fertilizing/composting the bales, and should be ready to plant by next weekend. We don't have as many deer as the trough cam, but we've got enough to do damage, so I had to fence in my garden.
I'll be putting tomatoes, squash, lettuce, broccoli, peppers, and beans in, plus "etc", whatever that winds up being.
It is 12' x 14' total.

How often will you have to water? And where do you live?

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2020, 10:00 AM
How often will you have to water? And where do you live?

To start the process, the bales are watered every day, fully soaked, and every so often fertilizers are added. I've read different schedules, so there is no exact science to it. I'm winging it with what I've read.
I live in New Bern. The woods in the backgrounds are actually 30 acres of wetlands that the city owns, loaded with deer, thus the fencing.

Bob Green
03-28-2020, 01:25 PM
I planted seeds in peat pots and small containers today. They are sitting outside in the warm sun. I’ll leave them outside during the day but bring them inside overnight.

I planted Asian long beans, green beans, eggplant and bitter melon for starters.

I’ll use starter plants from the store for my tomatoes, peppers and squash. Okra will be grown from seed sowed directly in the soil but I have prep work to accomplish first.

House G
03-28-2020, 06:09 PM
Does anyone else grow asparagus? It’s fairly easy and is a perennial vegetable. I planted 3 year old crowns about 5 years ago. If you take care of your bed, it will produce for decades. I harvested these earlier today and will grill them for dinner.

bundabergdevil
03-29-2020, 07:05 AM
Does anyone else grow asparagus? It’s fairly easy and is a perennial vegetable. I planted 3 year old crowns about 5 years ago. If you take care of your bed, it will produce for decades. I harvested these earlier today and will grill them for dinner.

Pictures not working, getting an 'invalid attachment' message. I would like to see your asparagus though!

House G
03-29-2020, 08:05 AM
Pictures not working, getting an 'invalid attachment' message. I would like to see your asparagus though!

Bob Green
03-29-2020, 08:14 AM

That is some good looking asparagus all it needs is a little olive oil, salt, pepper and 15 or 20 minutes on the grill.

bundabergdevil
03-29-2020, 01:37 PM
That is some good looking asparagus all it needs is a little olive oil, salt, pepper and 15 or 20 minutes on the grill.

Agree. Nice spears you grew there.

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2020, 11:09 PM
I've been moving plants from the greenhouse to outside, as the threat of frost has passed. I was amazed today while transplanting this squash plant. The plant is barely two weeks old, if that. And there it is...a squash already growing on it.

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2020, 05:00 PM

left_hook_lacey
03-30-2020, 05:02 PM

Facts.

BigWayne
04-02-2020, 03:14 AM

I was in my local garden center today. The racks of seeds were so picked over, more than half the spots were empty.
The vegetable plants were maybe 20% of what this garden center usually has on display at this time.

One of the staff saw me looking at some stuff and asked if I needed help finding something. I told her not really, I already knew they didn't have what I was looking for. She said, well we did have some of those, but they disappeared really fast. She said that the staff there was calling it Farmageddon. Between the people in panic mode that think they all of a sudden need to grow their own food and the rest of us with extra time on our hands, they can't keep up.

Bob Green
04-10-2020, 06:47 AM
I am growing two types of green beans from seed. These plants will be transplanted in about 8 to 10 days:

OldPhiKap
04-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Quarantine garden planted. But like Georgia’s quarantine, it’s kinda half-arsed.

Herbs as always, plus zucchini and a variety of peppers and tomatoes.

weezie
04-10-2020, 08:42 AM
Still way too chilly to get much in right now. But my crop of sticks along the driveway is thriving during the incessant winds of the past three days.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Supposed to be 31 tonight. First freeze in probably six weeks here. Very off spring for so many reasons.

BD80
04-10-2020, 11:16 AM

I was in my local garden center today. The racks of seeds were so picked over, more than half the spots were empty.
The vegetable plants were maybe 20% of what this garden center usually has on display at this time.

One of the staff saw me looking at some stuff and asked if I needed help finding something. I told her not really, I already knew they didn't have what I was looking for. She said, well we did have some of those, but they disappeared really fast. She said that the staff there was calling it Farmageddon. Between the people in panic mode that think they all of a sudden need to grow their own food and the rest of us with extra time on our hands, they can't keep up.

This is illegal in Michigan.

"Large stores must also close areas of the store that are dedicated to carpeting, flooring, furniture, garden centers, plant nurseries or paint, …"

Nurseries are now non-essential in Michigan. Travel to "second homes" (many Michiganders maintain summer or vacation homes in Northern Michigan) is prohibited.

PackMan97
04-10-2020, 11:20 AM
Supposed to be 31 tonight. First freeze in probably six weeks here. Very off spring for so many reasons.

Last freeze in NC is typically tax day, so right on schedule.

BD80
04-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Last freeze in NC is typically tax day, so right on schedule.

A freeze in NC in July?

CameronBornAndBred
04-12-2020, 11:14 PM
Some update pics from the greenhouse I built. Since it has warmed up, I've been taking down the plastic sheet covering the empty spaces and replacing it with screen. It gets hot in there on a sunny day, and since I'm sure we've passed the dangers of a hard freeze, it's time to convert it over to the butterfly house. Also a few pics from our backyard veggie and herb gardens, all of which were supplied by seeds started in the greenhouse back in early February. Tomatoes, a variety of peppers, squash, zuchinni, gourds, lettuce, broccoli, beans and sunflowers are all growing in the hay bales, and more of the same in the containers.
The terra cotta pots are the herb garden.

Bob Green
04-13-2020, 12:09 PM
Impressive garden you have going there. I am way behind you.

BigWayne
04-19-2020, 04:42 AM
Garden is mostly in for this year.
This is my greens patch that stays planted pretty much all year in stages.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/greens1.jpg

Found some nice strawberry plants at Costco. Never grew them before, but since I live where a good chunk of the nations strawberries come from, I decided to take a chance on them. So this is now my official strawberry rhubarb pie patch. Both plants should be evergreen here.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/piepatch.jpg

Last, I've got 12 tomato plants started.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/tomatoes_started.jpg

Bob Green
04-19-2020, 07:26 AM
Nice pictures! I planted okra seed this week. Hopefully, I’ll be able to share pictures in a while. I love fried okra.

budwom
04-19-2020, 08:31 AM
Tomorrow is April 20, do we have any photos to share, garden club?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-19-2020, 08:44 AM
Tomorrow is April 20, do we have any photos to share, garden club?

Nice try, cop.

YmoBeThere
04-19-2020, 10:07 AM
Nice try, cop.

"You must spread some Comments around..."

CameronBornAndBred
04-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Found some nice strawberry plants at Costco. Never grew them before, but since I live where a good chunk of the nations strawberries come from, I decided to take a chance on them.

I have 4 small terra cotta pots on my back porch with strawberries in them. I love picking at them all year long, and they come back every year. Never enough at once to make a meal, but they sure are nice to snack on if I get to them before the squirrels do.
Girlfriend and I are going strawberry picking today, haven't done that in a long time. A daiquiri is in my very near future.

House G
04-19-2020, 11:45 AM
Pictures from this morning:

Potatoes:

Garlic:

Cabbage, arugula, cilantro

Muscadines:

Onions:

budwom
04-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Nice try, cop.

we like to keep an eye on you Asheville, beer swilling hippies...

aimo
04-20-2020, 08:15 AM
Girlfriend and I are going strawberry picking today, haven't done that in a long time. A daiquiri is in my very near future.

I like taking a good quality vanilla ice cream, fresh strawberries, and a splash of Myer's Dark Rum. Best milkshake ever!

I hope to get to pick this year. Our regular place is doing pre-pick only, and I prefer picking my own.

Bob Green
04-25-2020, 08:59 AM
I transplanted a Cherokee Purple tomato into the ground yesterday. It produces big, delicious tomatoes that are fantastic on a BLT. I also planted a Husky Cherry Red and an Early Girl in big pots.

CameronBornAndBred
04-26-2020, 06:01 PM

I spent the last couple of days building a compost corral. We had done a little composting before, but this is on a way bigger scale. Everything from the kitchen is going in it, plus old plants, shredded paper, and ultimately, all those straw bales after the growing season is over. Can't wait to have some amazing dirt next year!

Also, a look at how the garden next to the greenhouse is doing. It's interesting to compare how the hay bale garden is doing with the container garden I've got in the backyard at home. Some plants are doing way better in one place vs the other. None are doing badly, just cool to compare.

weezie
04-27-2020, 07:29 AM
Geez, CBB that garden is lovely!

Devilwin
04-27-2020, 08:44 PM
I transplanted a Cherokee Purple tomato into the ground yesterday. It produces big, delicious tomatoes that are fantastic on a BLT. I also planted a Husky Cherry Red and an Early Girl in big pots.

Set out 12 Cherokee purples and 6 German Johnsons today. The CP is awesome on a burger.

aimo
04-28-2020, 07:53 AM
Set out 12 Cherokee purples and 6 German Johnsons today. The CP is awesome on a burger.

The Cherokee Purple is awesome sliced with some yellow tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, snips of fresh basil, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Add a crusty boule of bread and some white wine, and you gotta meal!

weezie
04-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Anybody else north of NC observing that the azaleas look awful this spring? Weak and spindly? Geez mine are very disappointing. The rhodies, too.

jacone21
04-28-2020, 04:43 PM
My tomatoes, summer squash, and cucumbers are coming along nicely. I plant the cucumber, zucchini and squash seeds right in the dirt like my Dad taught me. When the plants get a little bigger, I'll put down some mulch around the hills. You can see the lengths I go to in order to contend with the abundant deer and cottontails around here. Rather than try to protect a large garden area, I place things here and there around the landscaping. I'm not sure my wife loves the look, but since I do all the landscaping, that's my prerogative. :D It has helped to keep me sane over the last few weeks.

I also have some pepper and heirloom tomato seedlings started.

jacone21
04-28-2020, 04:46 PM
I spent the last couple of days building a compost corral. We had done a little composting before, but this is on a way bigger scale. Everything from the kitchen is going in it, plus old plants, shredded paper, and ultimately, all those straw bales after the growing season is over. Can't wait to have some amazing dirt next year!

Also, a look at how the garden next to the greenhouse is doing. It's interesting to compare how the hay bale garden is doing with the container garden I've got in the backyard at home. Some plants are doing way better in one place vs the other. None are doing badly, just cool to compare.

That is a gorgeous setup! Great job!

CameronBornAndBred
04-28-2020, 05:45 PM
That is a gorgeous setup! Great job!

Well, unlike your wife, my girlfriend is very much in control of the landscaping, so I have to play by her rules, ha!
You need to set up some trail cams and record the poor desperate bunnies trying to break into your garden vault! Smart move with the enclosures.

-jk
04-28-2020, 11:18 PM
Anybody else north of NC observing that the azaleas look awful this spring? Weak and spindly? Geez mine are very disappointing. The rhodies, too.

Mine got going then stalled out with too much cool, damp weather.

-jk

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-29-2020, 07:31 AM

-jk

Ours are still young and small, but neighbors around here have stunning flowers. Maybe the mountains got better azalea weather than you did.

PackMan97
04-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Finally had a few moments to take a picture of my garden.

https://i.imgur.com/XRnRDVS.jpg

Starting in the back, 15 assorted blueberries (including two pink lemonade which ripen to pink and are delicious). These are still young but a few are producing very well.

Two apple trees in front of them (and another four plum trees on the other side of the yard (not pictured)

Then on the trellis four blackberries which we are going to propogate another few this year to replace one that has died. Two grapes and a new kiwi.

Inside the fence you can see some early potatoes as well as some peas on the trellis (late start but hoping to get some before the heat). More potatoes on the right side that are just coming up, some early tomatoes that have just been planted with some squash. Some pole beans on the trellis you can't see yet as well some some bush next to it. Onions all the way in the back with some turnips, carrots and baby leaf lettuce. There are some carrots, radishes and more turnips in the front as well. I'd say about a third of it still to be planted mostly with tomatoes and peppers.

Working on another patch for watermelon, but clearing grass is slow going.

jacone21
04-29-2020, 06:58 PM
Finally had a few moments to take a picture of my garden.

https://i.imgur.com/XRnRDVS.jpg

Starting in the back, 15 assorted blueberries (including two pink lemonade which ripen to pink and are delicious). These are still young but a few are producing very well.

Two apple trees in front of them (and another four plum trees on the other side of the yard (not pictured)

Then on the trellis four blackberries which we are going to propogate another few this year to replace one that has died. Two grapes and a new kiwi.

Inside the fence you can see some early potatoes as well as some peas on the trellis (late start but hoping to get some before the heat). More potatoes on the right side that are just coming up, some early tomatoes that have just been planted with some squash. Some pole beans on the trellis you can't see yet as well some some bush next to it. Onions all the way in the back with some turnips, carrots and baby leaf lettuce. There are some carrots, radishes and more turnips in the front as well. I'd say about a third of it still to be planted mostly with tomatoes and peppers.

Working on another patch for watermelon, but clearing grass is slow going.

Looking good! It looks like a nice sunny spot... and rich dirt. You can grow anything there.

PackMan97
04-29-2020, 08:03 PM
Looking good! It looks like a nice sunny spot... and rich dirt. You can grow anything there.

The land's former life was as a pasture for a dairy farm. A good 9-12" of wonderful black topsoil filled with lots of living things before I start to hit our wonderful Carolina clay.

I learned this year about Earth snakes...apparently they live underground hunting earthworms. So not cool.

Devilwin
05-01-2020, 04:48 AM
The land's former life was as a pasture for a dairy farm. A good 9-12" of wonderful black topsoil filled with lots of living things before I start to hit our wonderful Carolina clay.

I learned this year about Earth snakes...apparently they live underground hunting earthworms. So not cool.

The little earth snakes won't hurt you. Another burrower is the much larger mole king snake. He is non venomous but may bite if handled. Sort of patterned like a copperhead.
http://herpsofnc.org/mole-kingsnake/

aimo
05-01-2020, 07:45 AM

You are fortunate. Naturally dropped cow poop makes for excellent garden soil. My grandmother's family is in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, serious cow country, and they have wonderful gardens.

bundabergdevil
05-01-2020, 08:24 AM
You are fortunate. Naturally dropped cow poop makes for excellent garden soil. My grandmother's family is in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, serious cow country, and they have wonderful gardens.

How does a cow unnaturally drop his or her poop? Standing on two feet?

Oh, I think you meant as opposed to man made fertilizer...

-jk
05-01-2020, 08:47 AM

Years ago on our farm in western NC, I relocated 30-some wheelbarrows of soil from the bottom of the pasture (it rolled downhill - the pasture is mostly on the side of a mountain) into my mother's raised garden beds.

Wonderful soil. Backbreaking work.

-jk

budwom
05-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Or, as just happened next door, farmer comes to his field and spreads cow poop from his farm miles away, the giant green poop spreaders are on the move this time of year...

aimo
05-01-2020, 10:10 AM

Yes, smarty. I meant years and years of cows grazing and pooping is even better than trucking it in and spreading it around.

bundabergdevil
05-01-2020, 10:27 AM
Yes, smarty. I meant years and years of cows grazing and pooping is even better than trucking it in and spreading it around.

Hah, sorry. I've found that the during these stay-at-home times, DBR is a good outlet for my snarks and puns...the posters generally humor me and it does wonders for my wife's ability to put up with me!

OldPhiKap
05-02-2020, 06:56 AM

Why I can’t grow much in my back yard.

Devilwin
05-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Ruger Bushmaster .450.Problem solved..

OldPhiKap
05-02-2020, 03:44 PM
Ruger Bushmaster .450.Problem solved..

So — venison for dinner?

I’d hate to shoot the piebald, she’s beautiful.

Saw a young buck swimming across a stream this morning while kayaking. They know when they are out of season.

CameronBornAndBred
05-02-2020, 04:23 PM
Today was World Naked Gardening Day.

Proud to say, I did my part.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2020, 04:24 PM

I saw. And, I can’t unsee.

Bob Green
05-02-2020, 04:24 PM

No pictures allowed.

CameronBornAndBred
05-02-2020, 04:29 PM

No pictures allowed.

OPK can give you the secret password. He might charge extra, though.

budwom
05-02-2020, 04:30 PM
love our deer but not so much their ticks...mrs. womble found one on her neck this morning, led to a DEFCON 1 situation which involved jettisoned clothing and a hasty shower.

curtis325
05-02-2020, 05:25 PM
love our deer but not so much their ticks...mrs. womble found one on her neck this morning, led to a DEFCON 1 situation which involved jettisoned clothing and a hasty shower.

The hazards of naked gardening.

PackMan97
05-03-2020, 03:12 AM

Why I can’t grow much in my back yard.

No meat shortage at OPK's house!

We occasionally see some in our front yard (and even once in our fenced backyard) but our land is surrounded by other houes...the folks across the street that back up to wilderness see a lot more deer.

devildeac
05-03-2020, 08:37 PM

No pictures allowed.

Facebook.

Not pretty.

PackMan97
05-04-2020, 11:52 PM
So, with the temps getting amazingly chilly for early May....down to 37 a few nights in a row. What should be done for things like tomatoes and zucchini plants.

jacone21
05-05-2020, 12:27 AM
So, with the temps getting amazingly chilly for early May...down to 37 a few nights in a row. What should be done for things like tomatoes and zucchini plants.

Jess has my proxy. She has some great videos on tomatoes and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiVgTNTmXpM

The only time I've had issues with a late frost, I used cardboard boxes and paper bags to cover the plants. I usually hold off on planting until Good Friday, and frost is pretty rare down here after that.

PackMan97
05-05-2020, 08:03 AM
I usually hold off on planting until Good Friday, and frost is pretty rare down here after that.

Tax Day (April 15th) is supposed to be the last day in Raleigh and we are a good 3 weeks out from that.

-jk
05-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Not entirely backyard and not really a garden, but here are some of my azaleas, finally in bloom. Been a cold, wet spring here in the DMV.

10713 10714

10715 10716

The full set of pics I took is here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eaka967mnkunigr/AACSj4DEi014pFdDGdISZEJxa?dl=0) if you're interested.

-jk

budwom
05-08-2020, 01:10 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/entertainment/brian-may-gardening-injury-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

and here I thought that deer ticks were my biggest worry out in the garden. Wish I knew exactly what he did so I can go ahead and not do it...

Any chance he was trying to pick up a deer tick with his buttocks?

weezie
05-08-2020, 02:24 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/entertainment/brian-may-gardening-injury-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

and here I thought that deer ticks were my biggest worry out in the garden. Wish I knew exactly what he did so I can go ahead and not do it...

Any chance he was trying to pick up a deer tick with his buttocks?

I feel like barfing. :cool:

Nrrrrvous
05-08-2020, 03:17 PM

-jk

Mine in Richmond looked good the last time I was there. The ones I have here at Smith Mountain Lake don't look great but they are very young and small to begin with.

Bob Green
05-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Unbelievably chilly, for the second week of May, in Southeastern Virginia last night and today. There is a freeze warning for tonight. I have plants in pots that I will bring into the garage and/or storage shed but stuff in the ground will be difficult to protect.

It is frustrating to be worried about frost damage to plants in May.

CameronBornAndBred
05-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Unbelievably chilly, for the second week of May, in Southeastern Virginia last night and today. There is a freeze warning for tonight. I have plants in pots that I will bring into the garage and/or storage shed but stuff in the ground will be difficult to protect.

It is frustrating to be worried about frost damage to plants in May.

I saw posts from a few northern friends with frozen plants. :( I wouldn't expect you to be at risk, Bob, but like you say, there is a freeze warning in your area. If you've got any tarps, I'd toss them over the plants before it gets dark...might help.

Bob Green
05-09-2020, 01:19 PM
If you've got any tarps, I'd toss them over the plants before it gets dark...might help.

I am going to get in my storage shed and make room for pots so I will see what I have available to cover plants up. My Cherokee Purple tomato plant is in the ground and I will be an unhappy Backyard Gardener if it gets damaged.

budwom
05-09-2020, 04:39 PM
three inches of wet snow flattened our daffodils today....finally mostly melted at this hour..that's the best we can do.

PackMan97
05-09-2020, 08:19 PM
learning about colorado potato beetles today...and something that mysteriously killed one of my potato plants. It's just wilted right up. Everything else is going gangbusters.

jacone21
05-11-2020, 10:53 PM

I also have some pepper and heirloom tomato seedlings started.

What a difference 2 weeks make!

The summer squash have been thinned, fertilized and mulched. They're looking really good and are starting to bloom.

The early girl is 3 ft tall and has a few tomatoes on it, and the better boys are blooming.

The box of pitiful looking seedlings from 2 weeks ago is now a tray full of healthy plants. I'm hardening them off this week.

And my wife still loves having zucchini and cucumber plants between the birdbath and butterfly bushes. :D

budwom
05-12-2020, 08:05 AM
two more inches of snow last night (wet heavy stuff) primarily because my wife ordered her annual window box flowers yesterday...pretty slow start to our season...

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2020, 02:02 PM
I've eaten many salads from my garden so far; the lettuce bed has been abundant. This weekend, though, will be the first time I've been able to enjoy some actual veggies. Picking this squash and zucchini for the grill tomorrow.

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Reposting this here from my FB since some folks may appreciate a little bug predatory science.

So I've got two gardens. One is at home and one is a mile down the road behind our business where the greenhouse is. They are both different; one is in containers with soil, one is in hay bales, but for the most part the same things are growing in each. It's a fun comparison experiment. One thing that is NOT fun about the home garden, though, is that aphids are everywhere! But only a mile away, there are none. In fact the greenhouse garden is basically pest free, and I haven't done squat to prevent them. And yet the home garden I've tried everything to get rid of them. I think I now know why one has them and the other doesn't.
The greenhouse garden (and for the most part, the whole building) has a healthy population of Daddy Longlegs. Like, they LOVE being on the sunflowers, and for the most part are all over the garden. Home garden? Nary a one. I did some research, and guess what is a fav on the DLL's buffet? Damn skippy...aphids. So, I'm on a mission to bring a few home with me tomorrow, and make them fat.

PackMan97
05-17-2020, 09:56 PM
Ugh...learning about Colorado Potato Beetles and Voles. What fun!

jacone21
05-18-2020, 05:25 PM
Ugh...learning about Colorado Potato Beetles and Voles. What fun!

I feel your pain. My best tomato plant appears to have contracted a case of wilt... possibly Southern bacterial wilt. I am not happy about that. One day, it was a beautiful thriving plant with 12 tomatoes on it... the next day a wilted thing fighting for its life. I'm going to give it one more day to be sure and then I'll have to rip it out to prevent the spread to other plants. Social distancing for tomatoes.

Indoor66
05-18-2020, 05:36 PM
I feel your pain. My best tomato plant appears to have contracted a case of wilt... possibly Southern bacterial wilt. I am not happy about that. One day, it was a beautiful thriving plant with 12 tomatoes on it... the next day a wilted thing fighting for its life. I'm going to give it one more day to be sure and then I'll have to rip it out to prevent the spread to other plants. Social distancing for tomatoes.

That damn virus. Jumping species.

Bob Green
05-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Here is a photo of a nice yellow squash plant with lemon grass in front of it and you can also see okra starting to pop up:

Bob Green
06-06-2020, 06:54 AM
I have my first zucchini of the season. This plant is growing in a 20" pot:

-jk
06-06-2020, 12:17 PM
I have my first zucchini of the season. This plant is growing in a 20" pot:

Nice. The next hundred tomorrow?

-jk

budwom
06-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Nice. The next hundred tomorrow?

-jk

Yes, annual right of Fall was having coworkers show up with a few dozen Louisville Slugger sized zucchinis to pawn off...but them early ones are nice...

-jk
06-06-2020, 01:15 PM
Yes, annual right of Fall was having coworkers show up with a few dozen Louisville Slugger sized zucchinis to pawn off...but them early ones are nice...

My wife tells stories of leaving bags of them on porches when she was a kid. Of course, neighbors did the same thing, so it was a zero sum game.

-jk

jacone21
06-07-2020, 01:03 AM
I picked my first zucchini today. We've been eating squash for dinner the last several days.

First night... yellow squash mixed with lots of onion and sauteed to a fair thee well, like my Granny used to make.
Next night... squash drenched in milk and egg, dredged in corn meal mix and shallow fried in a cast iron pan, also like my Granny used to make.
3rd night... squash casserole
4th night... leftover squash casserole
5th night... took a mess of squash to my Mom, then came home and ate pizza. We needed a squash break!
Tonight... more yellow squash and my first zucchini cut into rounds, tossed in olive oil, sprinkled with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, and oven roasted on a cookie sheet.
Tomorrow... not sure yet. But the zucchinis are about to break loose.

So far I've been really happy with the production I'm getting out of my little squash patch. I'm still waiting on my first tomato and cucumber, but they're getting close.

Devilwin
06-07-2020, 04:09 AM
Got some tomatoes coming in now..

Bob Green
06-21-2020, 07:25 AM
My garden is starting to produce now. I picked yellow squash and green beans this morning. I have three different type green beans growing on different trellis but only one type is producing so far.

My okra plants are looking good as well and my Cherokee Purple plant has a big tomato starting to ripen and seven or eight more green tomatoes with size.

Surprising that there are no eggplants growing yet but flowers are on the plants so fruit should be coming soon.

BigWayne
07-23-2020, 07:36 PM
Finally getting good tomatoes out here. You guys in the southeast are probably swimming in them by now. Our season starts and finishes later compared to the east.

budwom
07-24-2020, 07:13 AM
Plans are in place for a yooge BLT with monster tomatoes!

jacone21
07-24-2020, 10:05 AM
Finally getting good tomatoes out here. You guys in the southeast are probably swimming in them by now. Our season starts and finishes later compared to the east.

I like your setup there and the plants look great. What varieties do you have planted?

I've been battling wilt and blight this year and ended up switching to containers for the first time ever. The container tomatoes are doing well and have lots of fruit, but they are running very late for this zone. Tomatoes struggle to set fruit in mid July here due to the high temps so I've had to use some shade cloth. I'm determined though.

ncexnyc
07-24-2020, 02:55 PM
I've been raising my own veggies and fruit for a number of years and can say I have grown to respect our farmers for the job they do. For those of you who haven't tried your hand at growing your own, you should give it a try someday.

We walk into our local supermarket and see these perfect examples of the various fruits and vegetables and take it for granted, but when your start growing your own the reality is quite different. I pulled two perfect zucchini, before the plant died. The crooked neck squash plants gave a nice yield, but weren't anywhere near store quality in looks. The various variety of tomatoes are growing like crazy, with the black cherry plants doing really well. They actually look like something you'd find in a store. The heirlooms and big boys are massive in size, but just aren't as eye appealing as those you see in the stores, although they eat the same. Blueberries and blackberries are hard to mess up and I've gotten a really nice take for all my bushes. The Fuji apples and Granny Smith trees have tons of fruit if you don't mind the spots.

Let's remember to show our farmers some love and even our friends at State for giving us the high quality of food we have.

Bob Green
07-24-2020, 03:24 PM
I picked four zucchini out of my backyard this morning. Two green and two gold. The tomato slices in the second picture made a tasty BLT:

PackMan97
07-24-2020, 04:45 PM
I've been raising my own veggies and fruit for a number of years and can say I have grown to respect our farmers for the job they do. For those of you who haven't tried your hand at growing your own, you should give it a try someday.

We walk into our local supermarket and see these perfect examples of the various fruits and vegetables and take it for granted, but when your start growing your own the reality is quite different. I pulled two perfect zucchini, before the plant died. The crooked neck squash plants gave a nice yield, but weren't anywhere near store quality in looks. The various variety of tomatoes are growing like crazy, with the black cherry plants doing really well. They actually look like something you'd find in a store. The heirlooms and big boys are massive in size, but just aren't as eye appealing as those you see in the stores, although they eat the same. Blueberries and blackberries are hard to mess up and I've gotten a really nice take for all my bushes. The Fuji apples and Granny Smith trees have tons of fruit if you don't mind the spots.

Let's remember to show our farmers some love and even our friends at State for giving us the high quality of food we have.

So far, my garden has been underwhelming. We are doing great on the Potatoes. Will definintely grow more next year.

BigWayne
07-25-2020, 04:27 AM
I like your setup there and the plants look great. What varieties do you have planted?

I've been battling wilt and blight this year and ended up switching to containers for the first time ever. The container tomatoes are doing well and have lots of fruit, but they are running very late for this zone. Tomatoes struggle to set fruit in mid July here due to the high temps so I've had to use some shade cloth. I'm determined though.

L to R, Ukrainian Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast, Brandywine, Pineapple, Brandywine, Better Boy, Brandywine, Better Boy, Celebrity, Early Girl x3, San Marzano x2.

It is very dry here so I can plant them very close together and not get any fungal diseases like I did back in Georgia.
However, I came up with the structure by accident almost when living in Suwanee with one of its primary purposes being to deal with moisture related problems there.
There, the structure was 3 or 4 horizontal cattle fence panels that were about 4' x 8'. I would only grow six plants in that space.
Laying the panels horizontally lets you have easy access to reach in and work the plants. Growing them up really high lets you get a lot out of them while keeping them from getting too bushy.

Biggest tomato problem here is that it gets too cool at night. I never got really good tomatoes here until I started planting them up against an area packed with concrete and stucco that gets blasted with the late afternoon sun and holds the heat into the evening.

BigWayne
08-30-2020, 06:08 AM
Well, we had a massive heatwave here a couple weeks ago with temps at 110 during the day and staying in the seventies at night to kick start the tomatoes into super ripening mode. Then we had a forest fire, but we escaped having to evacuate by about 500 yards, but mostly because of which side of the highway we live on. Plants are in full production now:
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/tomato_august2020.jpg

Getting 5-10 pounds of tomatoes a day. Made bruschetta, salsa, pasta sauce, tomato pie, a sort of zucchini and tomato lasagna. I think a bunch of sauce will be made tomorrow.
http://www.fullspeedfishing.com/gallery/data/775/medium/tomato_pile.jpg

Bob Green
08-30-2020, 07:55 AM
Those are some awesome looking tomatoes both quality and quantity. The only thing left growing in my garden is Asian Long beans, eggplant and okra. Tomato production was poor this year. I had good luck with my Cherokee Purple early on getting eight or nine nice big tomatoes but the vine cracked badly during a wind storm and the plant died. Cherry tomatoes never seemed to get going. On the good news side, yellow squash and zucchini had tremendous production.

weezie
08-30-2020, 09:13 AM
Holy samoleans have we had snakes in abundance this year!
I've been approaching the patch with real apprehension.
What makes them all of a sudden appear in such numbers?

budwom
08-30-2020, 09:31 AM
Holy samoleans have we had snakes in abundance this year!
I've been approaching the patch with real apprehension.
What makes them all of a sudden appear in such numbers?

the apocalypse, evidence by the Tigers winning a doubleheader yesterday. If that isn't a sign of The End of Days, nothing is!

CameronBornAndBred
08-31-2020, 10:27 AM
Some of you may remember the greenhouse that I built in the winter, with the intention of turning it into a butterfly house in the summer. I planted lots of milkweed around the garden, and last week noticed that the garden fencing and the roof of the greenhouse were covered in monarch chrysalises. I carefully removed those and put them inside.

Today I opened the door to this scene.

There are over 20 chrysalises inside the butterfly house, I'm guessing they will have all emerged in the next couple days. After I take photos, each emerging batch gets to fly free through the open door.

jacone21
08-31-2020, 11:03 AM
That is awesome! Great job!

Bob Green
06-04-2022, 06:45 AM
Morning harvest of grey zucchini and straight neck yellow squash. I grew the zucchini from seed while the squash came from a starter plant I bought at Norfolk County Feed and Seed:

Bob Green
06-04-2022, 06:49 AM
My backyard squash patch:

This photo is from a couple weeks ago. The plants are much larger now.

bundabergdevil
06-04-2022, 09:18 AM
My backyard squash patch:

This photo is from a couple weeks ago. The plants are much larger now.

Nice.

We’ve got sweet, jalapeño and habanero peppers this year along with an assortment of herbs.

We do a CSA at a small family farm so get a nice weekly seasonal produce mix, too.

BigWayne
06-05-2022, 03:25 AM
Last year, I had a lot of problems with my tomatoes. One of the big ones was gophers so this year I have them all in gopher baskets.
Looking good so far, especially because I got lucky and killed a big fat gopher with a shovel.

-jk
06-05-2022, 09:14 AM
Last year, I had a lot of problems with my tomatoes. One of the big ones was gophers so this year I have them all in gopher baskets.
Looking good so far, especially because I got lucky and killed a big fat gopher with a shovel.

How hard was it rounding up the gophers and stuffing them into the baskets?

-jk

budwom
06-05-2022, 12:19 PM

-jk

I need to know, too. I've been using my black lab for gopher control, a basket would be nice!

BigWayne
06-05-2022, 12:54 PM

-jk

https://gopherbasket.com/

Turns out it is a local company. I guess maybe we are the epicenter for gophers in addition to the 1989 quake.
I'm using the gallon size ones for the tomatoes and the quart size ones for basil, padron peppers, and japanese eggplant.
Zucchini is left unprotected as they have not seemed to be targeted by the gophers.
The gopher did suck down some unprotected pole beans and chives before I got it.

budwom
06-05-2022, 01:02 PM
^ from our deck I can watch various gophers at work in three different yards, sometimes our own.

Section 15
06-05-2022, 08:09 PM
I need to know, too. I've been using my black lab for gopher control, a basket would be nice!

Rather than killing gophers with a shovel, try planting marigolds on the edges of your garden. The smell of the flowers repels rodents: rabbits gophers, etc. We have used this technique for many years and have watched rabbits hop right up to a bed of lettuce and then hop away.

The only creature that isn't bothered by marigolds apparently are bears:

BigWayne
06-06-2022, 03:30 AM
Rather than killing gophers with a shovel, try planting marigolds on the edges of your garden. The smell of the flowers repels rodents: rabbits gophers, etc. We have used this technique for many years and have watched rabbits hop right up to a bed of lettuce and then hop away.

The only creature that isn't bothered by marigolds apparently are bears:

If I could repeatedly kill gophers with a shovel, I would be a rich man. I just got lucky he was where I was digging.
Marigold trick won't really work here. It usually doesn't rain here from some time in May until the first rain in October, though it shockingly did this morning. All of my tomatoes are on drip systems where only the tomato plant gets watered.

BigWayne
06-06-2022, 05:19 AM

Best tool I have found is the gopher hawk. Took me a while to figure out how to place it correctly, but have unfortunately had a fair bit of practice.

Tomato planted in gopher basket:

aimo
06-06-2022, 08:11 AM
Best tool I have found is the gopher hawk. Took me a while to figure out how to place it correctly, but have unfortunately had a fair bit of practice.

Do they make those for squirrels? Or neighborhood cats?

Asking for a friend.

budwom
06-06-2022, 08:15 AM
Do they make those for squirrels? Or neighborhood cats?

Asking for a friend.

good question. The resident foxes and fishers around here make short work of cats, you can't have an outside cat here, period..but the gophers seem to endure nicely. Might constitute too much of a tussle for a fox, those gophers are pretty robust.

duke79
06-06-2022, 11:05 AM

good question. The resident foxes and fishers around here make short work of cats, you can't have an outside cat here, period..but the gophers seem to endure nicely. Might constitute too much of a tussle for a fox, those gophers are pretty robust.
Yea, we're plagued with woodchucks (or gophers, as some people call them) on our property. I HATE those animals - they destroy the vegetable and flower gardens. You would not believe how much time I have spent over the years trying to get rid of them. I feel like Bill Murray in the movie Caddy Shack. I've tried trapping them in Hav-a-heart traps over the years but it is not that easy to catch them on those traps and, if you do manage to trap them, they are NOT happy campers and will try to attack you through the trap. I keep telling my wife that I need a 22 rifle to "exterminate" them but she (rightly) thinks I should not own a gun.

-jk
06-06-2022, 11:17 AM
Yea, we're plagued with woodchucks (or gophers, as some people call them) on our property. I HATE those animals - they destroy the vegetable and flower gardens. You would not believe how much time I have spent over the years trying to get rid of them. I feel like Bill Murray in the movie Caddy Shack. I've tried trapping them in Hav-a-heart traps over the years but it is not that easy to catch them on those traps and, if you do manage to trap them, they are NOT happy campers and will try to attack you through the trap. I keep telling my wife that I need a 22 rifle to "exterminate" them but she (rightly) thinks I should not own a gun.

Is a woodchuck a gopher or a groundhog? Or does it matter?

My grandparents battled a groundhog for a couple years before my uncle dispatched it with a 22.

-jk

duke79
06-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Is a woodchuck a gopher or a groundhog? Or does it matter?

My grandparents battled a groundhog for a couple years before my uncle dispatched it with a 22.

-jk
Apparently, according to Google, "woodchucks" and "groundhogs" are the same animal (how did we ever live without Google and internet?). The names can be used interchangeably. However, a gopher is a different animal than a woodchuck or groundhog. Gophers are smaller (both in length and weight) than woodchucks.
+

BigWayne
06-06-2022, 12:00 PM

One of my memories of visiting my grandparents was my grandfather grabbing his rifle and heading out the side door in his bathrobe after the evil woodchuck. He never was able to hit one when we were visiting.

duke79
06-06-2022, 12:35 PM
One of my memories of visiting my grandparents was my grandfather grabbing his rifle and heading out the side door in his bathrobe after the evil woodchuck. He never was able to hit one when we were visiting.
Yea, my wife shot one decades ago with a 22 that she borrowed from a local farmer. She is STILL traumatized by that episode.
One of the issues is that they "appear in public" only sporadically, so you would have to sit outside with the gun for long periods of time, hoping that you might see one and can then shoot it. And they can move quite fast if they see a human near by, so not so easy to shoot unless you can surprise them. I've also hired professional trappers to try to catch them but they charge, I think, $150 (or maybe $250) per animal (if they can get them). And it seems like there is a never ending number of the vile critters on our property, so trapping a few does little to solve the problem. Don't even get me started on the deer, bears, foxes, squirrels (red and grey), chipmunks (and now a massive invasion of "spongy moth caterpillars - AKS "gypsy moth caterpillers) and other varmints that I have to contend with.

budwom
06-06-2022, 12:42 PM
^ one summer my wife was growing gobs of geraniums on the deck, red squirrels took to eating the buds each day, so using a Have a Heart trap, we entered 28 squirrels into our elite relocation program (which is technically illegal, but who's keeping score)?

I've thought about trapping Fat Bastid, our current woodchuck, but as in Jaws, I'd need a bigger trap...(trapping skunks in those things is when it really gets interesting).

aimo
06-06-2022, 01:17 PM
I have cousins in Virginia who had a resident groundhog. He was huge and visibly battlescarred. I would not want to mess with him! They set traps, but mostly just caught squirrels.

duke79
06-06-2022, 01:30 PM
^ one summer my wife was growing gobs of geraniums on the deck, red squirrels took to eating the buds each day, so using a Have a Heart trap, we entered 28 squirrels into our elite relocation program (which is technically illegal, but who's keeping score)?

I've thought about trapping Fat Bastid, our current woodchuck, but as in Jaws, I'd need a bigger trap...(trapping skunks in those things is when it really gets interesting).
Yea, my experience is that it is not easy to trap the woodchucks. If you just put the trap out with some bait inside (they like melon and I usually use watermelon or honeydew melon), they are not dumb enough to go inside to get the bait (in my experience); so, after watching hours of YouTube videos, the best method is that you have to set up some sort of tunnel (I use pieces of plywood) from their hole or den (and ours live underneath a small guest cottage we have on our property) right to the trap, so they have no choice if they want to come out of their hole but to go into the trap (and I camo the trap with some hay and other stuff). I've had some success with this method. And, yes, you do NOT want to trap a skunk in the Hav-a-heart trap. That happened to me once and I called the professional trapper to come and get rid of the skunk (he threw and old blanket over the trap before taking it away).

BigWayne
06-06-2022, 02:29 PM
Yea, my experience is that it is not easy to trap the woodchucks. If you just put the trap out with some bait inside (they like melon and I usually use watermelon or honeydew melon), they are not dumb enough to go inside to get the bait (in my experience); so, after watching hours of YouTube videos, the best method is that you have to set up some sort of tunnel (I use pieces of plywood) from their hole or den (and ours live underneath a small guest cottage we have on our property) right to the trap, so they have no choice if they want to come out of their hole but to go into the trap (and I camo the trap with some hay and other stuff). I've had some success with this method. And, yes, you do NOT want to trap a skunk in the Hav-a-heart trap. That happened to me once and I called the professional trapper to come and get rid of the skunk (he threw and old blanket over the trap before taking it away).

We had a problem at my workplace many years ago where skunks were seasonally burrowing under the concrete slab of the building to make nests. This went on for years and never got dealt with until they decided to burrow under the CEOs office. The trapper that came out had his hav-a-heart traps set with plastic cardboard pieces attached to the top and sides to make it a dark place to keep the skunks calmer when removing the traps. If they are covered up they don't feel threatened as much and spray less.

budwom
06-06-2022, 02:40 PM

The woodchuck at the house next to us on the left (not the human one) lives under a small house they built for their ducks. Not sure they know this, but I do.
The woodchuck at the house next to us on the right lives in a hole under Daisy Mae's garage. For sure she doesn't know this.

A few years ago one took up residence in the culvert at the end of our driveway...pretty clever...our dogs could see and smell him, but couldn't engage.

BigWayne
03-13-2023, 02:30 AM
Plant your lettuce now. Going to get very expensive soon.

Flood prediction for Monday morning in Salinas valley where most of your spring/summer lettuce comes from:

Impacts:
According to some information on the National Weather Service webpage, here's what it could mean at various stages:

26 feet: The lower portions of Soledad, Gonzales, Chualar, Spence and Spreckels will have moderate flooding. At least 20,000 acres of farm land in the Salinas Valley are threatened with flooding. Levees along the lower Salinas River could breach. Some primary and many secondary roads along the Salinas River will begin to flood. Highway 68 will become inundated.
27 feet: The lower portions of Castroville will begin to flood. Foster Road, one mile south of Salinas will flood. Highway 156 near Castroville will begin to flood. Many secondary roads in the Salinas Valley will be flooded and impassable. Large areas of agricultural land in the Salinas Valley will have major flood damage.
28 feet: The lower portions of Soledad, Gonzales, Chualar, Spence, Spreckels and Castroville will have major flooding. Major flooding will affect 40,000 acres or more of agricultural land in the Salinas Valley. Some primary roads and most secondary roads in the Salinas Valley will be flooded and impassable.
29 feet: All roads just south and west of Spreckels will be flooded. US 101 will flood just north of Soledad. Highway 1 just south of Castroville near Nashua Road will flood. Many roads, homes and agricultural land areas in the Salinas Valley will have major flood damage.
30 feet: The entire lower Salinas Valley will have disastrous flooding. The entire city of Salinas is in danger of flooding. Most of Castroville will flood. All roads near the Salinas River will be flooded and impassable. 90,000 acres or more of agricultural land in the Salinas Valley will have disastrous flooding.

budwom
03-16-2023, 08:02 AM
^ if you will come help me move the two feet of wet snow we got yesterday, I'll be happy to put some lettuce in the ground!

BigWayne
03-16-2023, 09:03 AM
^ if you will come help me move the two feet of wet snow we got yesterday, I'll be happy to put some lettuce in the ground!

Well, do it when you can.

Strawberries and raspberries are going to get more expensive also. We had a levee break near Watsonville that flooded a lot of the fields used to grow these as well as the town and homes of a lot of the people that pick them.

Fortunately, the forecasted peak of the Salinas river on Monday was just a bit lower than they thought it would be.
It is supposed to crest again Friday night. It's supposed to be a bit lower than Monday, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

aimo
03-16-2023, 10:22 AM

Strawberries and raspberries are going to get more expensive also. We had a levee break near Watsonville that flooded a lot of the fields used to grow these as well as the town and homes of a lot of the people that pick them.

Fortunately, the forecasted peak of the Salinas river on Monday was just a bit lower than they thought it would be.
It is supposed to crest again Friday night. It's supposed to be a bit lower than Monday, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

NC freezes are threatening our strawberries and some other fruit trees. Hoping not too many were actually budded yet.

Sorry, but nothing beats a NC strawberry! Except maybe a hard freeze!

budwom
03-16-2023, 12:04 PM

always enjoy visiting there, viewing the strawberries in Watsonville, the garlic in Gilroy and the artichokes in Castroville...

BigWayne
03-16-2023, 05:14 PM
NC freezes are threatening our strawberries and some other fruit trees. Hoping not too many were actually budded yet.

Sorry, but nothing beats a NC strawberry! Except maybe a hard freeze!

Best strawberries are ones you can get close to the source. The shorter they have to travel, the more ripe they can be.
If you can get them at the farm, even better.

aimo
03-16-2023, 05:24 PM
Best strawberries are ones you can get close to the source. The shorter they have to travel, the more ripe they can be.
If you can get them at the farm, even better.

Both places I used to pick have closed to pick-your-own. I will drive to the other side of Durham to pick my own strawberries. Totally worth it!

wandalee
03-16-2023, 06:23 PM
Both places I used to pick have closed to pick-your-own. I will drive to the other side of Durham to pick my own strawberries. Totally worth it!

R&R Cattle Services is a great place to pick strawberries. It’s in Orange County just across the Durham County border off of New Sharon Church Rd.

aimo
03-17-2023, 11:04 AM
R&R Cattle Services is a great place to pick strawberries. It’s in Orange County just across the Durham County border off of New Sharon Church Rd.

Thanks! I was planning on going to Waller's this year, on Kerley. I am in southern Durham County, so it's closer, but good to know! I know people who pick at Lyon's in Creedmoor every year.

howardlander
03-17-2023, 12:16 PM

And a nice drive to get there as well. That's pretty close to where we live so we usually go out there at least once a season.

BigWayne
03-18-2023, 02:39 AM

I went to a pick your own place up the coast on the way back from a fishing trip, but it was a pain in the rear. Plants were picked over and you had to do a lot of bending over. Picking strawberries is not suited for big guys.
What I do like is a really nice farm we go by on the way to camping in the summer that has fresh picked strawberries with no bending over.

Back on topic, got my tomatoes planted outside yesterday now that it finally stopped raining for a couple days. They won't do too much until the ground warms up, but they were getting too big for the windowsill. First year being successful growing from seeds.

budwom
03-18-2023, 09:01 AM
Sobering article recently on the fruits and veggies most susceptible to pesticide residue...berries and beans are way up there, thin skins and such, glad we get our blueberries from a friend who produces 200 gallons/year of organic blueberries...

PackMan97
03-18-2023, 07:35 PM

Too high a risk of catching Carolina Fever. Hard pass.

CameronBornAndBred
03-19-2023, 02:13 PM
I finally got some veggie seeds going in the greenhouse this weekend, a much later start than usual. A true classic mix, with lettuces, spinach, beans (both pole and bush), carrots, eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes. Also doing cantaloupe for the first time.

moonpie23
03-19-2023, 10:15 PM
question for the group........what would be a recommendation for encouraging moss growth? we have a small side yard that has been taken over by moss by about 60%...we'd like for it to completely have it.....it's in the shade, has plenty of moisture and it's green.. :)

some acidic promoter?

budwom
03-20-2023, 12:28 PM
question for the group...what would be a recommendation for encouraging moss growth? we have a small side yard that has been taken over by moss by about 60%...we'd like for it to completely have it...it's in the shade, has plenty of moisture and it's green.. :)

some acidic promoter?

we've had a big section of yard that has Big Moss come and go...as you say, it flourishes when it's moist and shady....when it get very warm and dry I'm not sure you can really promote it too much. There's a reason why moss tends to grow on the north side of trees...I love it when it gets phosphorescent green..

CameronBornAndBred
03-20-2023, 01:36 PM
question for the group....what would be a recommendation for encouraging moss growth? we have a small side yard that has been taken over by moss by about 60%...we'd like for it to completely have it....it's in the shade, has plenty of moisture and it's green.. :)

some acidic promoter?

we've had a big section of yard that has Big Moss come and go...as you say, it flourishes when it's moist and shady...when it get very warm and dry I'm not sure you can really promote it too much. There's a reason why moss tends to grow on the north side of trees...I love it when it gets phosphorescent green..

Yep, only way you'll completely have it is if the entire yard is in the shade. The backyard of our office is the same. Half is so shady that it's moss only, and the other half is so well lit that I have my gardens and greenhouse there.

budwom
03-20-2023, 03:12 PM
Moss is nice in that it looks good and requires no mowing...not what the Scotts empire is looking to see become popular, those five step scoundrels

-jk
03-20-2023, 10:16 PM
Moss is nice in that it looks good and requires no mowing...not what the Scotts empire is looking to see become popular, those five step scoundrels

Alas, it doesn't stand up to the dog very well.

-jk

Jeffrey
03-21-2023, 01:03 AM
Alas, it doesn't stand up to the dog very well.

-jk

Thanks, that explains why our Milk Bone delivery receipt says it came from Scotts.

fidel
05-13-2023, 01:37 PM
We left for France Thursday with a bunch of buds but no blooms. Neighbor sent this today.

budwom
05-13-2023, 03:09 PM
We left for France Thursday with a bunch of buds but no blooms. Neighbor sent this today.

this is what happens. Plus I ate all the oysters at Paul Bocuse, though I left some cheese and pastries, a few meats. Wandering the streets we ate lunch at Le Bistrot de Lyon, traditional fare, lots of French folks eating there, very enjoyable lunch. Plus incredible bathrooms.