PDA

View Full Version : Bolden going pro

Dukiedevil
05-27-2019, 07:48 PM
According to Chris Haynes on Twitter

rthomas
05-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Awesome. Happy for him and hope he kicks a**.

MartyClark
05-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Awesome. Happy for him and hope he kicks a**.

Why is it awesome? I'll save my thoughts on him until this is verified.

uh_no
05-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Why is it awesome?

because it's a kid who came to duke, got a heck of a lot better, and is off to try to fulfill his dreams. The least you can do is be happy for him.

MaxAMillion
05-27-2019, 08:07 PM

Because he most likely gets to try and live out his dream of trying to make the NBA or maybe head to Europe. Coming back for another year of college where he would be one of three centers (most likely a bench player) wasn't something Bolden viewed as advantageous. I wish him all the best.

MartyClark
05-27-2019, 08:07 PM
because it's a kid who came to duke, got a heck of a lot better, and is off to try to fulfill his dreams. The least you can do is be happy for him.

Like I said, save my thoughts on him until this is verified.

scottdude8
05-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Copying this over from the other thread.

Here’s the link to a (horrible!) article from The Chronicle.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...lden-nba-draft

Despite the tweet and the headline, the first two paragraphs are written as if Bolden is returning. To be clear, the report is that he is GOING PRO. Someone at The Chronicle obviously had something prewritten and didn’t edit it before hitting submit. Sometimes my former newspaper drives me crazy...

EDIT: they fixed the article. Still, I have no idea how the original version ever got published. Has The Chronicle completely forgotten how to do basic copy editing?!?!

MaxAMillion
05-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Despite the tweet and the headline, the first two paragraphs are written as if Bolden is returning. To be clear, the report is that he is GOING PRO. Someone at The Chronicle obviously had something prewritten and didn’t edit it before hitting submit. Sometimes my former newspaper drives me crazy...

EDIT: they fixed the article. Still, I have no idea how the original version ever got published. Has The Chronicle completely forgotten how to do basic copy editing?!?!

Maybe some holiday weekend cocktails allowed for the slippage. :)

fuse
05-27-2019, 08:16 PM
I wish Bolden all the best. He would have been a key piece of the puzzle next season.

1991 duke law
05-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Of course I want him to be successful. But I have always had skepticism that he has the makings of a pro. A year in Europe (or if he proves me wrong, the NBA ) will result in higher compensation than another year at Duke. And I am not convinced that he will improve his draft stock by staying another year. So makes sense to give it a go. Good luck young man.

CameronBornAndBred
05-27-2019, 08:37 PM
I was really looking forward to him coming back and bringing some much needed leadership for another banner team.

frb
05-27-2019, 08:43 PM
he wasn't going to get the PT he needs to fulfill his potential.. this is a great decision. he will graduate and have an opportunity to pursue a pro career.

Reilly
05-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Shavlik: 92 games at Duke, 6.3 ppg (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shavlik-randolph-1.html

Marques: 88 games at Duke, 3.8 ppg (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marques-bolden-1.html)

Both first-name all team.

Shav made $4.87 million per s-r.

Troublemaker
05-27-2019, 08:51 PM
Good luck, Marques! You should be very close to graduation, so knock out some summer courses in the offseason.

I was really looking forward to him coming back and bringing some much needed leadership for another banner team.

From last season, we should have two junior captains returning (pending Javin's decision, but he's expected to stay) that should become senior two-time captains plus we have a sophomore Tre Jones at point guard. Leadership looks good.

I wish Bolden all the best. He would have been a key piece of the puzzle next season.

A center rotation of Vernon and Javin would be the envy of all but a handful of teams in the country. I'm not sure Marques would've been all that key a piece, which may have played a part in his decision.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-27-2019, 09:05 PM

Another former Chronicle writer here. Though they have done some very good work and I try very hard to stay out of the "get off my lawn" camp, I could write a short novel about my issues with The Chronicle these days. But I will refrain from derailing this thread.

I wish Marques the best of luck. I am really not sure what I would do in his situation. The skill set desired in the pros is constantly changing. He likely is very close to his degree, and it is unclear how much he will play next year, but I think he can make a highly educated guess about that. Selfishly, I would like to see him back at Duke, but he has to do this for himself and not me, and I completely understand why he is making this decision.

Furniture
05-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Well. I am surprised. But then again I am not. If it is as many of you say that he will not get much game time and he is very close to graduating then why not try the G-league? After all some of our recent guys have made it out of there and done very well. Quinn, Seth and it looks like Amile is extremely close.

roywhite
05-27-2019, 09:16 PM
I certainly wish him well. I assume going pro means trying to get a spot in the NBA, either in the next season or within a few years of further development overseas or in the G-League.

Realistically, what are the chances he gets drafted by an NBA team next month?

SoCalDukeFan
05-27-2019, 09:21 PM
he wasn't going to get the PT he needs to fulfill his potential.. this is a great decision. he will graduate and have an opportunity to pursue a pro career.

How close he is to graduating?

I hope he is real close and does graduate. I don't think he is an NBA player next year but the developmental league or Europe might be better for him. I do think Duke will miss him. Seniors are hard to come by these dayss/

SoCal

BD80
05-27-2019, 09:25 PM

Greater than the chances I'll get drafted. Exponentially greater. But not significantly greater.

BD80
05-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Maybe he found out that Zion is returning...

Steven43
05-27-2019, 09:36 PM
Greater than the chances I'll get drafted. Exponentially greater. But not significantly greater.

I’ve heard you’ve got a pretty tight handle and a sweet set shot. Don’t sell yourself short.

arydolphin
05-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Jeff Goodman on his Twitter is confirming that Bolden is leaving Duke, but also reporting that Delaurier is coming back.

Furniture
05-27-2019, 09:57 PM
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/05/duke-mens-basketball-javin-delaurier-nba-draft

but Javin returns..At least according to this...

Steven43
05-27-2019, 10:02 PM
https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/05/duke-mens-basketball-javin-delaurier-nba-draft

but Javin returns..At least according to this...

That’s the outcome I wanted. I’m happy.

UrinalCake
05-27-2019, 10:04 PM
Not too big a surprise for me, especially once he started getting workouts with teams. As fans we love the idea of an experienced guy coming off the bench and providing 10-15 minutes as a change of pace big. But from the standpoint of the player himself it doesn’t make any sense to come back and do that. His stock may not be very high but it is unlikely to improve by returning.

If the reports of Javin returning are true then that is huge for us. I guess he’s be playing a lot of 5, with Carey being our only other center. Hopefully Carey and Hurt can seeend well enough to stay in the floor for major minutes, because we’re gojnf to need them to.

gep
05-27-2019, 10:15 PM
I am going to miss Marques. He may not have been a alpha-dog, but I really liked his demeanor as I saw on TV... appeared to be a good guy. That said, I will try to follow him in his future as much as possible. Good luck to Marques...

Blue in the Face
05-27-2019, 10:29 PM
I wish Marty would stop saving his thoughts - they're sure to be a benefit to us all.

superdave
05-27-2019, 10:30 PM
Shavlik: 92 games at Duke, 6.3 ppg (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shavlik-randolph-1.html

Marques: 88 games at Duke, 3.8 ppg (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marques-bolden-1.html)

Both first-name all team.

Shav made $4.87 million per s-r.

per what?

84Duke
05-27-2019, 10:54 PM
per what?

Sports Reference. Career earnings.

SilkyJ
05-27-2019, 10:55 PM

About Zilch I think.

per what?

Per Sports-Reference.com, the website the OP you quoted had provided links to. You can navigate to Shav’s NBA page (he linked to his college page—they are different), and it has tons of stats/data, including all his contracts.

Crazy to see that he played a decade in the NBA as a minimum guy basically the whole time...but struggled to cement his position/minutes at Duke...

frb
05-27-2019, 10:56 PM
How close he is to graduating?

I hope he is real close and does graduate. I don't think he is an NBA player next year but the developmental league or Europe might be better for him. I do think Duke will miss him. Seniors are hard to come by these dayss/

SoCal

If he did summer school the previous 3 summers plus 15 credits per semester, that would put him well over 100 credits. what do you need to grad now? 120? he's got to be very close. If he can't finish it this summer then maybe next. I assume the cost is on him now?

Steven43
05-27-2019, 11:13 PM

I’m curious to hear your thoughts. Maybe tomorrow morning?

53n206
05-27-2019, 11:47 PM
Best to Marques. He's one of ours.

SoCalDukeFan
05-28-2019, 01:27 AM
If he did summer school the previous 3 summers plus 15 credits per semester, that would put him well over 100 credits. what do you need to grad now? 120? he's got to be very close. If he can't finish it this summer then maybe next. I assume the cost is on him now?

I would be very very surprised if he is drafted. He could start his pro career overseas and do well. Or maybe he will hang up bball in a few years and a degree would be valuable.

He certainly had some moments at Duke. From what I can tell he is a good guy and a smart guy but injuries etc. and it never worked out iike many of us hoped.

Marques, thanks for your contribution and your hard work. Best of luck.

SoCal

AZLA
05-28-2019, 02:29 AM
It's time for him to make his way to the next level, wherever that is; will always appreciate Bolden's block-fest against the almost champions -- Auburn Tigers -- at the Maui Invitational.

YmoBeThere
05-28-2019, 06:25 AM

100 credits would be nearly 3x what he needs. I know, it has already been discussed before very recently, Duke does not use an hourly system.

Good luck Marques in your next basketball experiences.

OldPhiKap
05-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Good luck Marques, and thanks for your efforts for Duke!

MartyClark
05-28-2019, 07:13 AM
I wish Marty would stop saving his thoughts - they're sure to be a benefit to us all.

Sometimes it is better for me just to keep my thoughts to myself. Everyone benefits.

I wish Bolden the best also. I agree with the prior comment that he seemed to be a good young man. I can also recall someone, I think a librarian or professor, posting the same thing about him.

His play was inconsistent and match up defendant. He always seems to give his best effort though and I appreciate that.

miramar
05-28-2019, 07:30 AM
With his injuries we never saw all that Marques was capable of, but I hope he will find every success in the pros. Even in today's NBA you need bigs so I will be rooting for him.

Troublemaker
05-28-2019, 07:51 AM
Sometimes it is better for me just to keep my thoughts to myself. Everyone benefits.

I wish Bolden the best also. I agree with the prior comment that he seemed to be a good young man. I can also recall someone, I think a librarian or professor, posting the same thing about him.

His play was inconsistent and match up defendant. He always seems to give his best effort though and I appreciate that.

Yeah, plus there isn't much to criticize here.

Marques should be close enough to graduation that it's pretty much an afterthought that when he returns to Duke during summers to work out, he'll finish his degree.

Also, some Duke fans are operating under the false premise that if the NBA doesn't like you (at least right away), that automatically means you should return to school. Look, Marques is going to be a professional basketball player. If it's not in the NBA, it might be in Europe or Asia or more likely the D-league to start his career. And, maybe, just maybe, the long-rumored shooting ability of Marques gains enough polish in the D-league to start to be displayed on a consistent basis, and he gets called up to the big leagues to become a backup center.

scottdude8
05-28-2019, 09:07 AM

Marques should be close enough to graduation that it's pretty much an afterthought that when he returns to Duke during summers to work out, he'll finish his degree.

Also, some Duke fans are operating under the false premise that if the NBA doesn't like you (at least right away), that automatically means you should return to school. Look, Marques is going to be a professional basketball player. If it's not in the NBA, it might be in Europe or Asia or more likely the D-league to start his career. And, maybe, just maybe, the long-rumored shooting ability of Marques gains enough polish in the D-league to start to be displayed on a consistent basis, and he gets called up to the big leagues to become a backup center.

I will say that when Marques was warming up in Canada he was consistently knocking down 3s, to the point I thought that might be a new part of his game. Obviously that never came to pass. But given the modern NBA if he can fine tune that aspect of his game he’s got a shot, and if he thinks he’ll have more opportunity to do so in the G-league or overseas then all power to him.

I’m sad we won’t get our four man rotation up front I’d been dreaming of. I guess a rotation of three legit “starters” for two spots, not to mentions Jack’s ability to play a stretch 4, will have to do :)

Acymetric
05-28-2019, 09:34 AM
I would be very very surprised if he is drafted. He could start his pro career overseas and do well. Or maybe he will hang up bball in a few years and a degree would be valuable.

He certainly had some moments at Duke. From what I can tell he is a good guy and a smart guy but injuries etc. and it never worked out iike many of us hoped.

Marques, thanks for your contribution and your hard work. Best of luck.

SoCal

About Zilch I think.

Uh...you guys know the draft isn't just the lottery picks right? I would be surprised if he doesn't come off the board in the second round.

House P
05-28-2019, 09:37 AM
I will say that when Marques was warming up in Canada he was consistently knocking down 3s, to the point I thought that might be a new part of his game. Obviously that never came to pass. But given the modern NBA if he can fine tune that aspect of his game he’s got a shot, and if he thinks he’ll have more opportunity to do so in the G-league or overseas then all power to him.

The fact that Coach K occasionally "let" Marques take a 3 pointer and cover opposing guards on the pick and roll suggests that Marques may have a decent foundation on which to develop the outside shooting and defensive versatility generally expected of a big man in the modern NBA.

The fact the Marques didn't make any threes and often got beat after switching on the pick-and-roll suggests that Marques still has plenty of work left to do. However, as others have pointed out, Marques doesn't have to return to Duke to work on these skills.

So best wishes to Marques wherever he ends up next.

JasonEvans
05-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Uh...you guys know the draft isn't just the lottery picks right? I would be surprised if he doesn't come off the board in the second round.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but he isn't in any mock drafts at this point and the fact that he was not invited to the even the G-League combine does not bode well for him to get drafted at all.

Put another way, while you might not be surprised, most other NBA draft watchers would be quick surprised if Marques name gets called on draft night.

Billy Dat
05-28-2019, 09:43 AM
This is probably for the best as I didn't want to see a senior year Marquese struggling to crack the rotation. There are two kinds of modern NBA bigs, those who can shoot 3s, and those who can run rim-to-rim, blocking shots, setting screens and cleaning up rebounds. Marquese is neither (yet). Javin is much more in that mold.

I give him credit for sticking it out and trying to make it work. He easily could have transferred at any point. He probably is very close to graduation, I wonder if the program would pick up the tab for those last few courses, I thought I read once that if a kid leaves early, that they can always come back and finish free of charge.

Someone mentioned the Auburn game, which was notable. My primary takeaway is that I threw dirt on the kid after the Canada games, but he shook that off and had a really solid season. I always felt pretty good when he was in there. If you watched all of the various Duke Blue Planet videos, he also comes across like a kid who was unintentional comic relief. He seemed like a bit of a fish out of water kid who was very dubious about trying new foods and other experiences (like getting on a boat, maybe he didn't know how to swim?), and that lack of sophistication for lack of a better term seemed to endear him to his teammates and he seemed to take it all in stride. I am rooting hard for him. I think the NBA is a big ask but he can certainly get paid to play somewhere. Also, the NBA is really about fit and grit, and maybe he'll luck into a good situation and work like crazy to stick...ala Quinn, Seth, Lance, etc. Shav is also a good example as he is still playing pro overseas and, based on his IG feed, seems to be living the high life while he does it.

Truth&Justise
05-28-2019, 09:50 AM
The fact that Coach K occasionally "let" Marques take a 3 pointer and cover opposing guards on the pick and roll suggests that Marques may have a decent foundation on which to develop the outside shooting and defensive versatility generally expected of a big man in the modern NBA.

The fact the Marques didn't make any threes and often got beat after switching on the pick-and-roll suggests that Marques still has plenty of work left to do. However, as others have pointed out, Marques doesn't have to return to Duke to work on these skills.

So best wishes to Marques wherever he ends up next.

Good points about some flashes of untapped potential / room for growth from Marques. He also shot 72% from the FT line last year, which is an important skill in its own right and a good predictor of outside shooting skill to come.

Last year, I always felt good when Marques was in the game. He was a steady presence who, while not a star, did a good job in his role of blocking shots, hedging screens, and occasionally scoring on the block. I am not yet sold on the idea that he would have been completely squeezed out by this year's freshman--after all these years I'm not ready to believe in a stud young freshman until I see him play--and his defense and communication would have been an asset. But I understand his decision, and wish him luck as he begins his pro career.

Acymetric
05-28-2019, 09:53 AM
I'm not saying it won't happen, but he isn't in any mock drafts at this point and the fact that he was not invited to the even the G-League combine does not bode well for him to get drafted at all.

Put another way, while you might not be surprised, most other NBA draft watchers would be quick surprised if Marques name gets called on draft night.

I would guess mock drafts assumed he wasn't going to stay in. Maybe I shouldn't have said I would be surprised if he doesn't go in the 2nd round, that's a little too strong. He definitely might go undrafted, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he won't get picked up in the 2nd round. Near 7-footer with some decent athleticism and shot-blocking chops. It isn't a big man's league anymore, but GMs still like tall dudes.

Bluedog
05-28-2019, 09:56 AM

I’m sad we won’t get our four man rotation up front I’d been dreaming of. I guess a rotation of three legit “starters” for two spots, not to mentions Jack’s ability to play a stretch 4, will have to do :)

I mean, Marques was legtimately the only guy who knocked down clutch FTs on this past year's team. So, perhaps that bodes well for his 3-point shooting down the line.

johnb
05-28-2019, 10:34 AM
This review is from 2016

Height (w/ shoes): 6-11 Weight: 250 Wingspan: 7-6 Standing Reach: 9'4.5
"... few players in our database share Bolden's combination of length and strength. He has some work to do on his frame, but given he has one of the top-20 or so wingspans and standing reaches ever recorded in our database, it isn't hard to guess what makes Bolden such a highly regarded recruit and long-term prospect. From a sheer height and length perspective, Bolden is most similar to DeMarcus Cousins who was measured at 6'10.75 in shoes with a 7'5.75 wingspan at the 2010 NBA Draft Combine, albeit with a heavy 292-pound frame he's cut weight from in the NBA." - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marques-Bolden-81940/ ©DraftExpress

Wingspan and reach aren't going to decrease in 3 years.

If I'm an NBA executive and I'm creating an optimistic Marques Bolden narrative, I'm thinking, "Marques is absolutely huge, and he's been practicing every day against guys like Zion, Barrett, Carter, and Bagley. He's played against the best, and the Duke coaching staff is saying he held his own in practice. Last season, he blocked 1.7 shots in 21 minutes per game, so he's able to use his reach. He hit 73% of his free throws last year, which might translate into a reliable 10-15 foot jumper and maybe even a decent 3 point shot. The last 2 Duke teams had absolutely elite interior players. This reality would not simply affect Marques' PT, but it would affect his relevance when he was in the game. Neither Barrett nor Zion would ever pass to him--they'd both drive, shoot, or kick it out. If they (or another player) did pass to Marques, he was probably thinking about grabbing the rebound, not taking the pass. He split time with DeLaurier, so that could mean he's even with another marginal NBA guy, but it might easily have been about fit rather than talent. If I bring him in for a workout, and he shoots well, I'm fine with using the 50th pick in the draft and seeing how he shakes out in the next couple of years."

My pessimistic narrative: "He should make sure to get that college degree."

Dukehk
05-28-2019, 11:09 AM
I guess its not a bad decision from Marques considering how his minutes were likely to be restricted again this year. Our front court is crowded with Hurt, Carey and Javin in the rotation. Not to mention our ability to go small ball with Jack at the 5/4 spots as well.

Probably would have helped if he came back for another year to develop. Sadly he didn't get the memo on the Plumlee brothers or Amile Jefferson and Lance Thomas. I just hope he sticks with an NBA team but that's highly unlikely. He will be G League bound and probably end up somewhere in Europe or China.

All the best Marques. Next player up.

MChambers
05-28-2019, 11:37 AM
While I'm sorry to see Marques go, I certainly understand why the decision makes sense for him. I wish him well.

(On a slightly related note, it must be a difficult burden to be saddled with the expectations of being a highly ranked seven footer coming out of high school.)

NSDukeFan
05-28-2019, 11:46 AM
This makes it easier for more of the ACC-capable players to get playing time and it would have been hard with potentially 4 of the top 5 or 6 players being 4s or 5s (if Duke had positions). I would have liked to see Bolden back because I enjoyed cheering for him, enjoy seeing players progress and, as others have noted, felt comfortable when he was in the game. He offered a large defensive presence that will be missed. He has to do what is best for him though and I am thankful for the 3 solid years he was with Duke.

jimsumner
05-28-2019, 12:26 PM
No one close to the program is really surprised by this. I've suggested this for some time, usually met with howls of derision.

Please don't interpret any of what follows as criticism. Bolden seems like a nice guy, never really comfortable with the media but pleasant and accommodating when called on. Everything I've seen and heard suggests that he was a good teammate, a good student, very coachable. And a series of minor but persistent injuries did negatively impact his career arc. But even then he had his positive moments. Remember how dominant he was against Auburn?

But he really wants to play pro basketball. Everyone ranked ahead of him in his prep class and a good many ranked behind him have already made that leap. I would not have been surprised had he made the jump this time last year.

I'm not sure draft status, Duke roster status for 2020, skill development, the changing role of the big man or anything else mattered much to Bolden. At a fundamental level, I think he just felt like it was time to take that next step.

And who can argue with that? It's his life, after all, it's his future. I'm not sure if he'll get drafted but he'll get signed and someone will give him a chance to ply his trade in the G-league and at that point, it's all up to him.

I wouldn't bet against him. And I certainly will be rooting for him.

Duke79UNLV77
05-28-2019, 12:31 PM
No one close to the program is really surprised by this. I've suggested this for some time, usually met with howls of derision.

Please don't interpret any of what follows as criticism. Bolden seems like a nice guy, never really comfortable with the media but pleasant and accommodating when called on. Everything I've seen and heard suggests that he was a good teammate, a good student, very coachable. And a series of minor but persistent injuries did negatively impact his career arc. But even then he had his positive moments. Remember how dominant he was against Auburn?

But he really wants to play pro basketball. Everyone ranked ahead of him in his prep class and a good many ranked behind him have already made that leap. I would not have been surprised had he made the jump this time last year.

I'm not sure draft status, Duke roster status for 2020, skill development, the changing role of the big man or anything else mattered much to Bolden. At a fundamental level, I think he just felt like it was time to take that next step.

And who can argue with that? It's his life, after all, it's his future. I'm not sure if he'll get drafted but he'll get signed and someone will give him a chance to ply his trade in the G-league and at that point, it's all up to him.

I wouldn't bet against him. And I certainly will be rooting for him.

One good thing about the G-League is it has given guys like Cook, Amile, and Seth a chance to earn their way up to the NBA. If the G-League had existed years ago, I imagine guys like Thomas Hill and Amaker would have at least played some in the NBA.

kako
05-28-2019, 12:47 PM

+1

Who knows how things would have worked out for him at Duke without the injuries? But besides that barstool talk, I think he's taking the route that's best for him professionally. Another year at Duke wasn't likely going to raise his NBA draft stock -given next year's incoming class, he might have been better off transferring if he thought another NCAA year would help that. His exposure at Duke will get him a better contract overseas, or it will give him a foot in the door in the G-League. I hope he has a success story somewhere. Thanks for hanging in there, thanks for his memorable performance vs. Auburn, and best wishes to him in the future.

9F

budwom
05-28-2019, 01:01 PM
I wish him well and am not surprised...my personal belief is that his biggest problem at Duke was his lack of confidence...some guys have that confident edge, some don't....

UrinalCake
05-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Very well stated and I think this is the part of being a player to which we as fans simply cannot relate. Thus we focus on all of those other things - draft projection, RSCI ranking, etc. - and feel like those should be the driving factors behind a player's decision. But ultimately, if he felt it was time to move on to the next phase of his playing career then that's all that really matters.

SupaDave
05-28-2019, 01:33 PM
THIS is why he's going pro...

Against Virginia, Coach Mike Krzyzewski picked his poison against the sharpshooting Cavaliers and had the Blue Devils switch every screen on the floor. Routinely, that resulted in Bolden guarding the likes of Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome and De’Andre Hunter. Not only did Bolden hold his own under tough circumstances, his defense was actually a positive.

Natty_B
05-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Going by the 2016 RSCI Bolden at #11 was the highest rated player who played this season. Out of the top 25 2016 RSCI only the following seem likely to play CBB next year:

18. Mustapha Heron (a transfer who seems to be coming back to St. John's)
20. Josh Langford MSU (coming back from foot injury that wiped out half his junior season - other schools get foot injures too!)
23. Andrew Jones Texas (unique situation as he has battled leukemia)

DeLaurier was ranked #35. The only other players ranked higher than him who will play CBB next year are:

29. Cassius Winston MSU (MSU will be good)
30. Alterique Gilbert UConn (injury plagued career)
33. Udoka Azubuike KU (probably goes pro if not injured)

RPS
05-28-2019, 06:10 PM
I will say that when Marques was warming up in Canada he was consistently knocking down 3s, to the point I thought that might be a new part of his game.
While players do improve, often improve a lot, and sometimes even develop new and different skills, it's very easy to underestimate the differences between (a) practices and games; and (b) high school/college/pro/NBA. I was a decent player back in the day, by most standards. But when I (once in a while) ran with the big dogs at Card I gotten eaten up, even when they were coasting. And when hacking around with a good friend who was a decent ACC post player, he could readily hit 10 in a row from what would become three-point range. He *never* shot from the outside in games. It was a different era then, yes, but he also emphasized that shooting in games was "different" too.

uh_no
05-28-2019, 06:22 PM
THIS is why he's going pro...

Against Virginia, Coach Mike Krzyzewski picked his poison against the sharpshooting Cavaliers and had the Blue Devils switch every screen on the floor. Routinely, that resulted in Bolden guarding the likes of Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome and De’Andre Hunter. Not only did Bolden hold his own under tough circumstances, his defense was actually a positive.

bolden's defense definitely clicked as the year went on. he was far better at helping while not allowing the entry to his man for an easy bucket. We also, fortunately, made him go 1v1 with PGs as often....which I know many here were thrilled by, and was probably great for his confidence, not being in a position where he would have a really tough time not getting beaten.

Just a really really solid guy. best of luck to him.

ncexnyc
05-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Not sure why we need two different threads to discuss Javin and Bolden as after reading both of them there seems to be quite a bit of crossover in both.

I'm a bit surprised how quickly some people have turned on Bolden with their cheap, backhand shots, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. His career at Duke was derailed by an injury his first year and having Bagley and Carter show up for his second year didn't help. I believe he was really playing well for us until he hurt his knee last season and when he returned he just didn't seem right. The offensive game, which appeared to be coming along just didn't seem to be there.

I'm not thrilled that he's decided to leave, but that's because I'm old school military and I believe when you sign on for something you honor your commitment. I realize he didn't sign a 4 year specific contract, but to me that's just how I view things. I wish him no ill will and I hope he finds success on the hardwood, wherever that may be.

cato
05-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Not sure why we need two different threads to discuss Javin and Bolden as after reading both of them there seems to be quite a bit of crossover in both.

I'm a bit surprised how quickly some people have turned on Bolden with their cheap, backhand shots, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. His career at Duke was derailed by an injury his first year and having Bagley and Carter show up for his second year didn't help. I believe he was really playing well for us until he hurt his knee last season and when he returned he just didn't seem right. The offensive game, which appeared to be coming along just didn't seem to be there.

I'm not thrilled that he's decided to leave, but that's because I'm old school military and I believe when you sign on for something you honor your commitment. I realize he didn't sign a 4 year specific contract, but to me that's just how I view things. I wish him no ill will and I hope he finds success on the hardwood, wherever that may be.

I agree with you, but do not think Marques is failing to live up to a commitment. On the contrary, he strikes me as an exception to the current norm. He did not transfer, did not rashly turn pro. He stuck with his commitment and I hope it pays off in the long run.

I’m sure Marques and K discussed this. What do you think K thinks about Marques’ decision?

gep
05-28-2019, 08:24 PM
I agree with you, but do not think Marques is failing to live up to a commitment. On the contrary, he strikes me as an exception to the current norm. He did not transfer, did not rashly turn pro. He stuck with his commitment and I hope it pays off in the long run.

I’m sure Marques and K discussed this. What do you think K thinks about Marques’ decision?

I agree with this... especially if he is close to graduating as others have surmised. He could have transferred out and maybe play more somewhere else. But he stuck it out... and at this time it might make sense to pursue the next level. I like Marques, and will miss him...

ncexnyc
05-28-2019, 08:35 PM

I'm guessing K will support Marques' decision, but I also guessing he would like to have him back for his senior season.

flyingdutchdevil
05-28-2019, 08:51 PM

Wow. You must really hate what the Duke program has become, then.

Best of luck, Bolden. Hope you make it in the pros. And sorry you got recruited over 2 out of the 3 years. But if you don’t pan out as a freshman, minutes are gonna be really really tough.

Devilwin
05-29-2019, 03:58 PM

Old school military here too, and I believe as you do to honor commitments, whatever they be. That being said, I also wish him luck.

RPS
05-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Old school military here too, and I believe as you do to honor commitments, whatever they be.
Unless a (rare) multi-year promise is made by the school, the NCAA athletic scholarship commitment by the school is year-to-year (http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa) and may be pulled for any or no reason. Typically, the coach decides whether to renew the scholarship or not.

budwom
05-29-2019, 04:44 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Bolden never made a commitment for X number of years, but if people want to think he did, that's fine.

golfinesquire
05-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Unless you were in the room with Bolden and K, you have zero idea what was said or what he committed to. I vaguely remember that Bolden viewed himself as one and done and if that is the case and that was communicated to K, then Bolden has more than honored his commitment. I am old school too. I believe you do not criticize unless you have all the facts. But hey, that is just me.

devilirium
05-29-2019, 05:02 PM
This is probably for the best as I didn't want to see a senior year Marquese struggling to crack the rotation. There are two kinds of modern NBA bigs, those who can shoot 3s, and those who can run rim-to-rim, blocking shots, setting screens and cleaning up rebounds. Marquese is neither (yet). Javin is much more in that mold.

I give him credit for sticking it out and trying to make it work. He easily could have transferred at any point. He probably is very close to graduation, I wonder if the program would pick up the tab for those last few courses, I thought I read once that if a kid leaves early, that they can always come back and finish free of charge.

Someone mentioned the Auburn game, which was notable. My primary takeaway is that I threw dirt on the kid after the Canada games, but he shook that off and had a really solid season. I always felt pretty good when he was in there. If you watched all of the various Duke Blue Planet videos, he also comes across like a kid who was unintentional comic relief. He seemed like a bit of a fish out of water kid who was very dubious about trying new foods and other experiences (like getting on a boat, maybe he didn't know how to swim?), and that lack of sophistication for lack of a better term seemed to endear him to his teammates and he seemed to take it all in stride. I am rooting hard for him. I think the NBA is a big ask but he can certainly get paid to play somewhere. Also, the NBA is really about fit and grit, and maybe he'll luck into a good situation and work like crazy to stick...ala Quinn, Seth, Lance, etc. Shav is also a good example as he is still playing pro overseas and, based on his IG feed, seems to be living the high life while he does it.

His PNR defense was pretty good. For a guy that size, he had pretty good lateral quickness. Also, he was as close to money the few times that he was fouled near the end of the season. Those 2 free throws vs VT in the Sweet Sixteen were huge. He may have had 2 fgs all nite, but he was like Trent vs Syracuse the year before. Just nailed them.

Kfanarmy
05-29-2019, 05:11 PM
100 credits would be nearly 3x what he needs. I know, it has already been discussed before very recently, Duke does not use an hourly system.

Good luck Marques in your next basketball experiences.

Not exactly --- sorta? a "credit" at Duke = four credit hours.

https://registrar.duke.edu/duke-credit-hour-policy

sagegrouse
05-29-2019, 05:15 PM

Old school military here too, and I believe as you do to honor commitments, whatever they be. That being said, I also wish him luck.

I suspect -- in this day and age -- that K told Marques he would support his leaving if he were projected to be a lottery or even a first round pick. K spoke openly about RJ's and Zion's leaving early in the past season.

rtnorthrup
05-29-2019, 05:20 PM
I'm guessing K will support Marques' decision, but I also guessing he would like to have him back for his senior season.
I'm guessing Coach K would love like to have Zion and RJ back too.

Kfanarmy
05-29-2019, 05:31 PM
I think Bolden going pro is a huge loss. I had him pegged in the Zoubek model: injured quite a bit; a big man adjusting to his own size as he matures; potential for a leap in effectiveness...oh and that whole maturity-leadership that he would have contributed as a senior. Any player, who is in the rotation, is a big loss going into their senior year I think. He was a stabilizing force when things had the potential to go wrong.

Wish him well, but man I wish he was staying.

wavedukefan70s
05-29-2019, 06:09 PM
I hope he is very successful. Love his game.
We took a hit a center on that one.

JNort
05-29-2019, 10:18 PM
While players do improve, often improve a lot, and sometimes even develop new and different skills, it's very easy to underestimate the differences between (a) practices and games; and (b) high school/college/pro/NBA. I was a decent player back in the day, by most standards. But when I (once in a while) ran with the big dogs at Card I gotten eaten up, even when they were coasting. And when hacking around with a good friend who was a decent ACC post player, he could readily hit 10 in a row from what would become three-point range. He *never* shot from the outside in games. It was a different era then, yes, but he also emphasized that shooting in games was "different" too.

I remember going and watching one of the ACC barnstorming events when Zoubek and co. were seniors. They ACC guys were playing against the top high school in the region and Zoubek and Dion Thompson (sp?) were shooting and making 3s all day.

Furniture
05-29-2019, 11:33 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Bolden never made a commitment for X number of years, but if people want to think he did, that's fine.

I can see it both ways. If K does not promise playing time players should also be allowed to not promise ‘playing’ time.

Good luck Marquis!!