PDA

View Full Version : Trajan Langdon as Pelicans' GM

sagegrouse
05-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Here the story ("fair use" only, of course) via ESPN from the Athletic (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26782009/pelicans-reportedly-hire-nets-langdon-gm):

NEW ORLEANS -- The Pelicans have hired Nets assistant general manager Trajan Langdon to serve as GM under new executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin, according to multiple reports.

The news was first reported by the Athletic.

Langdon, 43, is a former Duke and NBA player who also played professionally in Europe. He has served as the Nets' assistant GM since 2016 and has helped rebuild Brooklyn into a squad that qualified for the Eastern Conference playoffs as a sixth seed this season after finishing last in the East two seasons earlier.

flyingdutchdevil
05-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Here the story ("fair use" only, of course) via ESPN from the Athletic (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26782009/pelicans-reportedly-hire-nets-langdon-gm):

Langdon is the real deal and I hope it’s true. With the assets the Pellies have, they need to crush this summer and get it right.

The Nets were one of the best stories this year.

frb
05-19-2019, 06:21 PM
the staff is gonna start using this as a selling point. 2 duke alums now NBA GM's both by their early 40s. who else can say that? and Danny Ferry will probably get another shot at some pt somewhere.

UrinalCake
05-19-2019, 07:26 PM
I can’t wait until the Stephen Smiths of the world start telling us that Zion doesn’t want to play for NO and that hiring a fellow Duke guy is their way of appeasing him....

roywhite
05-19-2019, 09:19 PM
the staff is gonna start using this as a selling point. 2 duke alums now NBA GM's both by their early 40s. who else can say that? and Danny Ferry will probably get another shot at some pt somewhere.

Not to mention an NBA Head Coach (Quin) and the NBA Commissioner!

This in addition to the huge Duke footprint in college basketball and basketball media.

BigZ
05-19-2019, 09:21 PM
The Alaskan Assasin

GGLC
05-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Pretty sure I still have a VHS tape somewhere with only "Trajan's Last Game" written on it in sharpie

HereBeforeCoachK
05-19-2019, 09:49 PM
I can’t wait until the Stephen Smiths of the world start telling us that Zion doesn’t want to play for NO and that hiring a fellow Duke guy is their way of appeasing him...

What if that's not totally wrong as a theory? (key word...not TOTALLY wrong...)

BeachBlueDevil
05-20-2019, 08:18 AM
What a great basketball mind to bring in as GM. Spent a few years as an Asst GM with the Nets and has knowledge of basketball overseas due to the amount of time spent there.

Now, let's see what he does with Davis. Bill Plaschke said on Around the Horn last week that the Pelicans do not want to trade with the Lakers, let's see how and if that changes. I'm sure that the Knicks (depending on who they get in FA) would make a deal for AD. IMHO, a good haul for AD would be the 3rd overall pick this year, Mitchell Robinson (kid is going to be special), and a first rd pick next year ( Pelicans can use that pick to get Tre Jones ;) ).

AlaskanAssassin
05-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Oh hi all! 👋

Pretty excited on what’s to come for Trajan. Looking forward to seeing the pieces he’ll put together with Zion. Hmm...could he get JJ?

gus
05-20-2019, 09:51 AM
What if that's not totally wrong as a theory? (key word...not TOTALLY wrong...)

Not really a response to you, but more of a "time passing is completely predictable and yet..."

Zion was born more than a year after Trajan's last game as a Blue Devil.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-20-2019, 09:55 AM
So putting this all together, Trajan will draft Zion, trade for RJ, sign JJ as a free agent and then draft Tre next year. That’s a team I could root for! The New Orleans Blue Devils! LGD GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
05-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Not really a response to you, but more of a "time passing is completely predictable and yet..."

Zion was born more than a year after Trajan's last game as a Blue Devil.

I'm mostly just doing a thought experiment here...but I think the whole notion of "the brotherhood" is meant to erase chronological discrepancies...so someone knowing that might elevate Trajan a little bit in the pecking order because of it. Banks is tied to Dawkins is tied to Ferry is tied to Laettner and so on.....

SoCalDukeFan
05-20-2019, 10:27 AM
What a great basketball mind to bring in as GM. Spent a few years as an Asst GM with the Nets and has knowledge of basketball overseas due to the amount of time spent there.

Now, let's see what he does with Davis. Bill Plaschke said on Around the Horn last week that the Pelicans do not want to trade with the Lakers, let's see how and if that changes. I'm sure that the Knicks (depending on who they get in FA) would make a deal for AD. IMHO, a good haul for AD would be the 3rd overall pick this year, Mitchell Robinson (kid is going to be special), and a first rd pick next year ( Pelicans can use that pick to get Tre Jones ;) ).

I thought was a smart player when he was at Duke and a very hard worker. Nets got better when he was there and his experience overseas should be very helpful.

SoCal

chrishoke
05-20-2019, 11:17 AM
One of my very favorite blue devils. Go Trajan

Dukehk
05-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Pretty sure I still have a VHS tape somewhere with only "Trajan's Last Game" written on it in sharpie

Still hurts me to this day.

Phredd3
05-20-2019, 11:31 AM
He's certainly not coming into an easy situation. What an interesting challenge. He'll get a chance to show his chops from Day One.

Duke79UNLV77
05-20-2019, 12:47 PM
He's certainly not coming into an easy situation. What an interesting challenge. He'll get a chance to show his chops from Day One.

True, but I wish my first big decision in my job had been as easy as picking Zion! Then again, Jordan would probably trade down to pick Luke Maye!

CrazyNotCrazie
05-20-2019, 01:05 PM
What is Trajan's role vis a vis Griffin? How much actual power will he have? Who will have final say on trades, draft picks, etc.?

budwom
05-20-2019, 01:08 PM
of course what's not clear is what decisions Griffin will allow Trajan to make......I can definitely see why the Pelicans don't want to trade with the Lakers after LA's heavy handed attempt to force a trade...plus no one knows who's in charge of the Lakers anyway....I am sure many offers will be forthcoming from around the league. Evidently it's true that Davis doesn't want Boston, though maybe they can change his mind, and surely the Celts have assets to deal.

Jaymf7
05-20-2019, 01:26 PM
True, but I wish my first big decision in my job had been as easy as picking Zion! Then again, Jordan would probably trade down to pick Luke Maye!

Jordan likely would not trade down.

JetpackJesus
05-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Jordan likely would not trade down.

To be fair, Luke Maye has a very high roof. There's no way MJ could resist that gamble.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-20-2019, 05:11 PM
To be fair, Luke Maye has a very high roof. There's no way MJ could resist that gamble.

Nah man, those are just eyebrows.

jimmymax
05-20-2019, 05:24 PM
My takeaway is that Trajan is 43 -- holy crap! His last Duke game did not end well. I probably had a VHS tape at one point. Sure hope I don't find it next time I move -- it'd have to go.

subzero02
05-21-2019, 01:20 AM

it's probably in the same room where you keep your cat o'nine tails and thumbscrew.