PDA

View Full Version : Not cool, ESPN. Not at all

scottdude8
05-15-2019, 05:25 PM
How are we supposed to process this super misleading headline? Talk about shoddy speculative journalism. Ugh.

Could Zion really snub Pelicans, return to Duke?
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/26756500

EDIT: site’s not letting me post the screenshot from my phone, but those words were what popped up as a notification. And that’s not at all what the video really says. What crappy journalistic integrity.

JetpackJesus
05-15-2019, 06:31 PM
How are we supposed to process this super misleading headline? Talk about shoddy speculative journalism. Ugh.

EDIT: site’s not letting me post the screenshot from my phone, but those words were what popped up as a notification. And that’s not at all what the video really says. What crappy journalistic integrity.

I posted a link to the video in the Zion, RJ, Cam - Lottery Results Thread because it's such a silly conversation.

I hope Zion does it, though.

Duke79UNLV77
05-15-2019, 06:46 PM
I posted a link to the video in the Zion, RJ, Cam - Lottery Results Thread because it's such a silly conversation.

I hope Zion does it, though.

Would beat Danny Ferry going to Italy to avoid the Clippers.

Truth&Justise
05-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Betteridge's Law of Headlines

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

freshmanjs
05-15-2019, 07:08 PM

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

I'm going to write an article with the headline "Can all headline questions be answered no?"

Truth&Justise
05-15-2019, 07:13 PM

I'm going to write an article with the headline "Can all headline questions be answered no?"

https://i.imgur.com/YAGpXPd.png

HereBeforeCoachK
05-15-2019, 07:43 PM
. And that’s not at all what the video really says. What crappy journalistic integrity.

What do ESPN and journalistic integrity have to do with each other? :cool:

dukelifer
05-15-2019, 07:45 PM

He could threaten to go play football. New England would take him tomorrow.

GoDuke2015
05-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Does he have an agent? This is a ridiculous headline!

AustinDevil
05-15-2019, 08:10 PM
He could threaten to go play football. New England would take him tomorrow.

Per NFL rules, I don’t believe they can until 2021.

https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/05/sean-payton-has-a-thought-about-zion-williamson-and-the-saints.html

BD80
05-15-2019, 08:15 PM

The same as unc and academic integrity ...

Gorilla
05-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Does he have an agent? This is a ridiculous headline!

No agent and no sneaker deal

duke4ever19
05-15-2019, 08:33 PM
No agent and no sneaker deal

In the words of Noah from the 'The Notebook:' "I lost you once. I think I can do it again."

Yep. I just quoted 'The Notebook.' :eek: I can take the flaming, because I deserve it.

johnb
05-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Of course he'll be in NO.

Having said that, the Pelicans were on national tv 7 times last year, with the other 75 games telecast on Fox Sports New Orleans.*

Duke was on national tv 75 times last year, each week.**

If the NCAA met in an emergency meeting, vigorously debated the pro's and con's with an eye towards what is good for the players*** and voted to let any NCAA athlete sign individual advertising deals,****

and Zion was told by Nike that he'd get his own shoe and $40 million for 2 years, guaranteed, regardless of whether he played for Duke or the Penguins,*****

and he got similar deals from Pepsodent, Muscle Milk, the Comedy Channel, and Perkins Library,******

I see no reason for them not to squeeze the lad into next year's line up. Of course he'd have to earn his minutes like everyone else.

*There's 2 minutes of research time that I'll never get back.
**an estimate
***I also believe in the tooth fairy
****this could be called anything, but I might suggest the Zion rule
*****They'd do it
******Perkins hasn't previously sponsored athletes, as far as I know, but this could be the chance.

jacone21
05-15-2019, 10:29 PM

Having said that, the Pelicans were on national tv 7 times last year, with the other 75 games telecast on Fox Sports New Orleans.*

If the NCAA met in an emergency meeting, vigorously debated the pro's and con's with an eye towards what is good for the players*** and voted to let any NCAA athlete sign individual advertising deals,****

and Zion was told by Nike that he'd get his own shoe and $40 million for 2 years, guaranteed, regardless of whether he played for Duke or the Penguins,*****

and he got similar deals from Pepsodent, Muscle Milk, the Comedy Channel, and Perkins Library,******

I see no reason for them not to squeeze the lad into next year's line up. Of course he'd have to earn his minutes like everyone else.

**an estimate
*****They'd do it
******Perkins hasn't previously sponsored athletes, as far as I know, but this could be the chance.

He skates too?!? That guy is amazing!

johnb
05-15-2019, 10:32 PM
He skates too?!? That guy is amazing!

Penguins, Pelicans....

Its the offseason

MCFinARL
05-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Penguins, Pelicans...

Its the offseason

And they are, after all, both rather peculiar looking birds in smaller media markets (not that that has hurt the Penguins all that much--the Crosby rule, I guess).

Steven43
05-16-2019, 09:29 AM

**an estimate
*****They'd do it

You took the use of the asterisk to another level. You should consider adding one or two to your DBR name.

J4Kop99
05-16-2019, 09:35 AM

ENTERTAINMENT and sports programming network

HereBeforeCoachK
05-16-2019, 04:33 PM
The same as unc and academic integrity ...

I'd say that's an apt analogy.....

Kfanarmy
05-17-2019, 09:29 AM

It is a rare headline that is not misleading these days...on the tv, on the internet, in the paper. Amazing how often people pass along this kind of stuff without actually reading/listening/watching the whole thing and end up with a twisted view of reality.