PDA

View Full Version : Zion to Bilas: “Didn’t you go to Duke?!?!”

scottdude8
05-14-2019, 08:30 PM
Man I love this kid. Don’t love the NBA game, but I’m gonna love watching him and rooting for him forever.

brevity
05-14-2019, 08:33 PM
In that moment, Zion represented all of us.

brlftz
05-14-2019, 09:27 PM
was watching with family while eating dinner, missed this moment. anyone willing to give me some context? it sounds delicious.

AZLA
05-14-2019, 09:32 PM
was watching with family while eating dinner, missed this moment. anyone willing to give me some context? it sounds delicious.

Sure. So Bilas was getting a little corny and pressed Zion. First Bilas pointed out that before the season that RJ was the presumptive #1. But now that it's you (Zion) -- would you pick Ja or RJ as the #2 pick. To which Zion responded "DIDN'T YOU GO TO DUKE" and ended it with a big smile. It was well handled.

Kinda' like -- WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, BILAS ?!

Honestly I hope RJ goes to 3 so he can play in the Big Apple.

Furniture
05-14-2019, 10:14 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/1128459208490459138

ZION OWNED JAY BILAS

HereBeforeCoachK
05-14-2019, 11:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/1128459208490459138

ZION OWNED JAY BILAS

Thanks, I needed a laugh after the Canes debacle tonight...

BlueDevil16
05-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Wish Zion had the chance to hang a national championship banner. Favorite Duke player that I can remember.

dukebluesincebirth
05-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Was watching this moment live and loved it... Jay had absolutely no response, caught him completely off guard. Called out for selling out on national television. How sweet! Thank you Zion!

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Was watching this moment live and loved it... Jay had absolutely no response, caught him completely off guard. Called out for selling out on national television. How sweet! Thank you Zion!
Jay tried to salvage the moment by telling Zion he was “playing GM” and Zion deadpanned... “I’m a player.” And Jay gave up.

johnb
05-15-2019, 08:04 AM
He is terrific--he somehow remains modest and inside himself while also being funny and outside of jock stereotype. And he kept it up even when he was getting the breathless "all or nothing" treatment by the media (in front of a bunch of his buddies), as if Ja or RJ would be dismal additions to any team.

Oh, and I can't remember ever watching a pro-related panel in which the 4 on-screen players and former players all went to the same college. And then they were funny (or at least the youngest one was funny). Both RJ (June) and Zion (July) will soon be 19...

budwom
05-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Sure. So Bilas was getting a little corny and pressed Zion. First Bilas pointed out that before the season that RJ was the presumptive #1. But now that it's you (Zion) -- would you pick Ja or RJ as the #2 pick. To which Zion responded "DIDN'T YOU GO TO DUKE" and ended it with a big smile. It was well handled.

Kinda' like -- WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, BILAS ?!

Honestly I hope RJ goes to 3 so he can play in the Big Apple.

Not that big a deal, but the question was a bit of a diss towards RJ, don't think it was really necessary.

BD80
05-15-2019, 09:14 AM
I was most amused at how much JWill cranks his seat up, he appears to be the tallest of the group.

Pghdukie
05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
I wonder how Cam Reddish feels with all the pub going elsewhere ? Has to be tough for him on the outside looking in.

mattman91
05-15-2019, 01:10 PM
I wonder how Cam Reddish feels with all the pub going elsewhere ? Has to be tough for him on the outside looking in.

He probably doesn't mind. He always seemed to be the shiest of the freshmen and looked quite uncomfortable during post-game interviews.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2019, 01:58 PM

Hopefully it motivates him to prove the critics and ignorers wrong.

Pro sports is no place for a soft ego. I am sure he can take it, but anyone who cannot has some quick growing to do.

weezie
05-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Hopefully it motivates him to prove the critics and ignorers wrong.

Pro sports is no place for a soft ego. I am sure [Cam] can take it, but anyone who cannot has some quick growing to do.

He can wipe his tears, which I seriously doubt he would even think of shedding, with many millions of dollars. Cam is A-OK.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2019, 02:12 PM
He can wipe his tears, which I seriously doubt he would even think of shedding, with many millions of dollars. Cam is A-OK.

Yet another reason why Greenbacks>Bitcoins.

Steven43
05-15-2019, 02:12 PM
I was most amused at how much JWill cranks his seat up, he appears to be the tallest of the group.

Careful now, Jason is a Blue Devil (even though he bizarrely seems to like UNC more at times). Still, I have to admit, you make an astute and funny observation.

roywhite
05-15-2019, 02:44 PM
He is terrific--he somehow remains modest and inside himself while also being funny and outside of jock stereotype. And he kept it up even when he was getting the breathless "all or nothing" treatment by the media (in front of a bunch of his buddies), as if Ja or RJ would be dismal additions to any team.

Oh, and I can't remember ever watching a pro-related panel in which the 4 on-screen players and former players all went to the same college. And then they were funny (or at least the youngest one was funny). Both RJ (June) and Zion (July) will soon be 19...

Yeah, how great if that had come up in conversation, then each showed a look of amused satisfaction, and one (perhaps Bilas) led with "Give me a D...."

OldPhiKap
05-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Yeah, how great if that had come up in conversation, then each showed a look of amused satisfaction, and one (perhaps Bilas) led with "Give me a D..."

Or, "Go to Hell Carolina . . . ."

Steven43
05-15-2019, 02:54 PM
Or, "Go to Hell Carolina . . . ."

You couldn’t pay Jay Bilas enough money to publicly say something negative about UNC.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2019, 02:55 PM
You couldn’t pay Jay Bilas enough money to publicly say something negative about UNC.

Sadly, this is true.

dudog84
05-15-2019, 03:31 PM

I don't know, maybe $1 more than ESPN is paying him.

Okay, that may be a bit harsh, but money trumps all.

DukieTiger
05-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Not that big a deal, but the question was a bit of a diss towards RJ, don't think it was really necessary.

It was also asking him to choose between two former teammates. Would have been more fair to the kids, and more interesting, to ask him to compare the two, but that’s not the kind of journalism ESPN does these days.

MrPoon
05-15-2019, 04:54 PM
It was also asking him to choose between two former teammates. Would have been more fair to the kids, and more interesting, to ask him to compare the two, but that’s not the kind of journalism ESPN does these days.

Complaining about ESPN is too easy but I thought the pre-lottery stuff was really odd and unfair to the two kids.
RJ, please sit here and keep a straight face while we ask absurd questions all about how great Zion is to Zion. Then we’ll ask you about how great he is after reminding you that once you were going to be the number one pick but aren't any more, then we’ll ask Zion to choose between you and Morant, with you here.

Understand the ESPN hype machine has helped both Duke and Zion this year. But can’t any one have some respect for RJ? WITH HIM SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?!?

SavDukeGrad
05-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Complaining about ESPN is too easy but I thought the pre-lottery stuff was really odd and unfair to the two kids.
RJ, please sit here and keep a straight face while we ask absurd questions all about how great Zion is to Zion. Then we’ll ask you about how great he is after reminding you that once you were going to be the number one pick but aren't any more, then we’ll ask Zion to choose between you and Morant, with you here.

Understand the ESPN hype machine has helped both Duke and Zion this year. But can’t any one have some respect for RJ? WITH HIM SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?!?

My thoughts exactly! All night long!

BD80
05-15-2019, 06:24 PM

But they had RJ right there, not Morant. That says a lot.

mattyoung18
05-16-2019, 01:19 PM

It's on youtube type in Zion interview with Rachel Nichols b4 lottery.Zion made Jay speechless and look Incredibly stupid all in 1 second .Bilas just needs to retire his jokes are wearing thin.

AtlDuke72
05-16-2019, 01:47 PM
I think that Bilas was just caught off guard - he never thought that Rachel Nichols would ever shut up long enough for him to say anything.

DevilYouKnow
05-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Zion is already a savant with the press. He is so press savvy, he doesn't need to regurgitate the same boring answers that all athletes are coached to give. In addition to his freakish physical endowment and his work ethic, he has the brains and personality to be a huge celebrity, loving every minute of it and making everyone this side of insidecarolina.com love him.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Zion is already a savant with the press. He is so press savvy, he doesn't need to regurgitate the same boring answers that all athletes are coached to give. In addition to his freakish physical endowment and his work ethic, he has the brains and personality to be a huge celebrity, loving every minute of it and making everyone this side of insidecarolina.com love him.

Yup.

I am not sure I have seen someone with so much joy in them. He is just damn fun.

Best of luck, Zion!

HereBeforeCoachK
05-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Once in a generation talent and personality....really quite astonishing to watch.

arnie
05-16-2019, 05:54 PM

I completely agree with you so far. But it’s easier to be that person when you’re “new and successful”. A couple of long not-so-great seasons in NO, then Bilas types openly critical every night could wipe that grin off. NBA is a grind.

brevity
05-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Zion is already a savant with the press. He is so press savvy...

Until your juxtaposition, I never realized that “savant” and “savvy” were related words. They are both derived from the same French/Latin words for knowledge and wisdom. Word origin sporks!

Rich
05-16-2019, 06:33 PM

And savvy in the press!

Rudy
05-17-2019, 02:01 PM
I watched the YouTube video referenced above and here’s a link to it. https://youtu.be/bn5PwnWm3qU
Both RJ and Zion were impressive in answering inane questions. I guess those practice interviews the players all do with each other during the season help.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Yup.

I am not sure I have seen someone with so much joy in them. He is just damn fun.

Best of luck, Zion!

Like Magic.