PDA

View Full Version : As If UCLA Needs More Problems

BD80
05-14-2019, 06:45 PM
UCLA's APR scores might trigger automatic tournament ban.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ucla-in-danger-of-ncaa-tournament-ban-over-apr-scores/ar-AABmaCk?ocid=spartanntp

Would take the pressure off of Cronin to even make the tournament:

"The score the NCAA uses to determine postseason eligibility is a four-year average, and UCLA had scores of 942, 907, 977 and 905 in its last four seasons under former coach Steve Alford. That means the 942 will be removed from the calculation in the spring, so the Bruins need a score above 928 to avoid dipping below 930 for their average.

APR is calculated by measuring whether athletes remain in school and in good academic standing. Undergraduate transfers and players leaving early for the NFL or NBA draft lower the score."

Steven43
05-14-2019, 07:01 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ucla-in-danger-of-ncaa-tournament-ban-over-apr-scores/ar-AABmaCk?ocid=spartanntp

"The score the NCAA uses to determine postseason eligibility is a four-year average, and UCLA had scores of 942, 907, 977 and 905 in its last four seasons under former coach Steve Alford. That means the 942 will be removed from the calculation in the spring, so the Bruins need a score above 928 to avoid dipping below 930 for their average.

APR is calculated by measuring whether athletes remain in school and in good academic standing. Undergraduate transfers and players leaving early for the NFL or NBA draft lower the score."
Whoa, wait just a minute there, pal. If students leaving early for the NBA draft automatically lowers the overall score, what the heck have Duke’s scores been the last few years? It can’t be good.

devildeac
05-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Are those scores in the same range as the cheaters? I vaguely remember an article Jim Sumner quoted late last year (?) that listed the good blue school at/near the top of the ACC for multiple sports and the cheats at/near the bottom of the ACC for the same.

Acymetric
05-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Are those scores in the same range as the cheaters? I vaguely remember an article Jim Sumner quoted late last year (?) that listed the good blue school at/near the top of the ACC for multiple sports and the cheats at/near the bottom of the ACC for the same.

I think the article is mistaken, or at least providing incomplete info. A player leaving early doesn't damage the APR (or at least doesn't damage it significantly) as long as they are in good academic standing when they leave. I don't know about transfers but I would assume something similar.

The problem comes when a player declares for the draft and then decides they don't need to go to class anymore. I think Duke has established a pretty good culture against this, from what I can tell.