PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke Jeremy Roach!

frb
05-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Welcome!
Per evan daniels

frb
05-08-2019, 07:09 PM
maybe Roach about to commit made it easier for the staff to let go of Boogie Ellis. Tre in 19/20. Roach 20/21.

Hartford Dukie
05-08-2019, 07:13 PM
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-Jeremy-Roach-Duke-131854735/

NSDukeFan
05-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Wow! That’s fantastic news! Welcome to Duke Jeremy!

CameronBlue
05-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Wow! That’s fantastic news! Welcome to Duke Jeremy!

Woo-hoo! Pass the edibles!

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Welcome Jeremy!

When’s the last time a commitment took this board by complete surprise?

ndkjr70
05-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Woo-hoo! Pass the edibles!

Lol, what on earth?

jimsumner
05-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Lol, what on earth?

Well, you pass the rock to generate dimes.

So, maybe Cameron has an unusually strong digestive system.

frb
05-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Welcome Jeremy!

it's a little surprising. I saw some chatter roach was trending towards kentucky or UVA.

BD80
05-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Makes the transfer of Boogie more understandable. The staff undoubtedly knew this was likely and warned Boogie.

Sensational news! I am beginning to understand why other fanbases hate Duke ...

CDu
05-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Here’s hoping he is fully recovered and playing great ball again by the time he arrives (he tore his ACL in November). He should be fine 1.5-2 years out, of course, but you never know with knees (see Giles).

If so, looks like we have our PG for 2020. Welcome aboard, and keep that rehab up!

kAzE
05-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Awesome news!!! Welcome to Duke! Next up . . . Brandon Boston + Scottie Barnes?

I've heard rumors they could be a packaged deal with Roach.

UrinalCake
05-08-2019, 09:10 PM

It always helps to get a top PG secured early, one that other guys want to play with. Now we just need them to get a group text going...

CDu
05-08-2019, 09:12 PM

It always helps to get a top PG secured early, one that other guys want to play with. Now we just need them to get a group text going...

That would be quite pleasing if it turns out to be the case.

kAzE
05-08-2019, 09:21 PM
That would be quite pleasing if it turns out to be the case.

Roach, Boston, Barnes, Kessler, and Jalen Johnson would be another all-time type of class. Chase the dream, coaching staff!!

proelitedota
05-08-2019, 09:32 PM
Welcome Jeremy!

Zion.

proelitedota
05-08-2019, 09:40 PM
He might be reclassifying for rehab.

DavidBenAkiva
05-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Cool!

Furniture
05-08-2019, 10:18 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jeremyroach10/status/1126260695300018176

Dukehk
05-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Welcome to Duke Mr. Roach!

Coach K continues to be amazing on the recruiting trail.

jimsumner
05-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Zion.

I know what you're saying. But people knew Zion was going to make a decision and Duke was on his short list. There wasn't even much chatter that Roach was ready to make a decision.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Here’s hoping he is fully recovered and playing great ball again by the time he arrives (he tore his ACL in November). He should be fine 1.5-2 years out, of course, but you never know with knees (see Giles).

If so, looks like we have our PG for 2020. Welcome aboard, and keep that rehab up!
Reminds me of Quinn Cook.

westwall
05-08-2019, 11:28 PM

A Northern Virginia PG? Reminds me of Tommy Amaker! Welcome!

Dukehk
05-08-2019, 11:28 PM
With the early commitment of Roach, does this mean we are favorites to create another "super class" of freshmen including BJ Boston and Jalen Johnson? I've heard that they were good friends during their time representing team USA and have expressed a desire to play together on the next level.

bigperm13
05-08-2019, 11:51 PM
With the early commitment of Roach, does this mean we are favorites to create another "super class" of freshmen including BJ Boston and Jalen Johnson? I've heard that they were good friends during their time representing team USA and have expressed a desire to play together on the next level.

Quite possibly. Duke has been the perceived leader for Jalen Johnson and BJ Boston for a while.

UrinalCake
05-09-2019, 12:06 AM
Looking forward to seeing Roach and Ant (Harris) square off in a couple years.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-09-2019, 05:37 AM
A Northern Virginia PG? Reminds me of Tommy Amaker! Welcome!
I meant the high school knee injury and subsequent recovery.

lotusland
05-09-2019, 05:52 AM
I meant the high school knee injury and subsequent recovery.

I hope his knee is in better shape than QC’s when he arrives. Quinn was not ready to play. His defense was never great but it was non existent his freshman year on a bad knee.

CDu
05-09-2019, 08:13 AM
I hope his knee is in better shape than QC’s when he arrives. Quinn was not ready to play. His defense was never great but it was non existent his freshman year on a bad knee.

And Cook didn’t have an ACL tear and only was out of play in high school for a month or two.

ChillinDuke
05-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Bang bang! Duke gang!

Oh, wrong thread...

Great news!!!

- Chillin

Truth&Justise
05-09-2019, 09:15 AM
Welcome to Duke, Jeremy!

Can anyone shed light on his game? Might be hard to know since he's coming off of an injury, but what are his strengths / weaknesses? Seems like he would be in line for a lot of playing time at point guard right away, assuming Tre Jones leaves after this season for the NBA. But on the off chance that Jones stays for his junior year, could the two play together in the back court?

DavidBenAkiva
05-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Welcome to Duke, Jeremy!

Can anyone shed light on his game? Might be hard to know since he's coming off of an injury, but what are his strengths / weaknesses? Seems like he would be in line for a lot of playing time at point guard right away, assuming Tre Jones leaves after this season for the NBA. But on the off chance that Jones stays for his junior year, could the two play together in the back court?

I've read through a few profiles last night. Roach is 6'2" and 178 pounds and considered one of the best point guards in the Class of 2020.

Pros: Elite ball handler, super quick with the ball in his hands and can penetrate and create with the best of them. Breaking his man down off the dribble and getting to the lane appears to be his best attribute. He is known as an aggressive player on both ends of the court, a player that will probe and attack on offense and then press and pick your pocket on defense. He started at PG for the U17 US Men's National Team last summer. That team featured Vernon Carey, Wendell Moore, RJ Hampton, Isaiah Stewart, Jalen Suggs, and others. That gives you an indication of his talent level, that he would start at PG on a team featuring many players a year older than he was at the time.

Cons: Besides the major injury, Roach is not known as an elite shooter (where have we seen that from a Duke PG before?) or elite athlete. He does not possess great size or length for the position, as far as the NBA is concerned. While his 3-point shooting is not known as a strength at this point, he has had success from the free-throw line. During the summer with USA Men's U17 team, he was just 1-12 from 3 (ouch) but was 10-12 from the free-throw line. The sample is quite small, but that jives with what I've read about Roach - his shot isn't broken. Unless he develops his shot, some question if he will be a one-and-done player. Of course, we should probably assume any 5-star recruit will be a one-and-done unless something changes when they show up.

Given that Duke is recruiting several elite shooters for the Class of 2020 in BJ Boston, Jalen Johnson, and Walker Kessler, I like the idea of a penetrating point guard that is cat-quick with the ball in his hands. Boston, in particular, has nearly unlimited range on his shot. Johnson and Kessler are known as knock-down shooters as well. And Duke should have Alex O'Connell and Joey Baker on the roster in 2020-21. That's a lot of shooters that could be on the wings or in the corner waiting for kick-out from Roach. And if Roach develops his shot further, he could be really good, like a bigger and better version of Tremont Waters from LSU.

Indoor66
05-09-2019, 10:21 AM
I've read through a few profiles last night. Roach is 6'2" and 178 pounds and considered one of the best point guards in the Class of 2020.

Pros: Elite ball handler, super quick with the ball in his hands and can penetrate and create with the best of them. Breaking his man down off the dribble and getting to the lane appears to be his best attribute. He is known as an aggressive player on both ends of the court, a player that will probe and attack on offense and then press and pick your pocket on defense. He started at PG for the U17 US Men's National Team last summer. That team featured Vernon Carey, Wendell Moore, RJ Hampton, Isaiah Stewart, Jalen Suggs, and others. That gives you an indication of his talent level, that he would start at PG on a team featuring many players a year older than he was at the time.

Cons: Besides the major injury, Roach is not known as an elite shooter (where have we seen that from a Duke PG before?) or elite athlete. He does not possess great size or length for the position, as far as the NBA is concerned. While his 3-point shooting is not known as a strength at this point, he has had success from the free-throw line. During the summer with USA Men's U17 team, he was just 1-12 from 3 (ouch) but was 10-12 from the free-throw line. The sample is quite small, but that jives with what I've read about Roach - his shot isn't broken. Unless he develops his shot, some question if he will be a one-and-done player. Of course, we should probably assume any 5-star recruit will be a one-and-done unless something changes when they show up.

Given that Duke is recruiting several elite shooters for the Class of 2020 in BJ Boston, Jalen Johnson, and Walker Kessler, I like the idea of a penetrating point guard that is cat-quick with the ball in his hands. Boston, in particular, has nearly unlimited range on his shot. Johnson and Kessler are known as knock-down shooters as well. And Duke should have Alex O'Connell and Joey Baker on the roster in 2020-21. That's a lot of shooters that could be on the wings or in the corner waiting for kick-out from Roach. And if Roach develops his shot further, he could be really good, like a bigger and better version of Tremont Waters from LSU.

Wow. A typical high school superman. I hope he can play at Division 1 levels when he gets to Duke.

UrinalCake
05-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Keep in mind that any evaluation of Roach is based on him as a sophomore in high school, since he has been injured for his entire junior year. There's obviously a whole lot of development that can still happen for a 16 year old kid. The flip side is that his peers have been improving while he's been sidelined. So I would still view him as a big question mark, but hopefully will make a leap before he arrives.

CDu
05-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Keep in mind that any evaluation of Roach is based on him as a sophomore in high school, since he has been injured for his entire junior year. There's obviously a whole lot of development that can still happen for a 16 year old kid. The flip side is that his peers have been improving while he's been sidelined. So I would still view him as a big question mark, but hopefully will make a leap before he arrives.

Yes, and this is precisely why I wouldn't recommend him playing at Duke next year. He'll be well over a year removed from playing competitive basketball, and as you note his last competitive basketball was as a sophomore in high school. On top of that, he'll be dealing with the rust and psychological hurdles of overcoming an ACL tear (generally speaking, guys who have come back are not nearly the same player in year one of their return and need to play their way back into form). I think he'd be better off getting that rust off against high school competition and ramping up next summer with the team.

johnb
05-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Yes, and this is precisely why I wouldn't recommend him playing at Duke next year. He'll be well over a year removed from playing competitive basketball, and as you note his last competitive basketball was as a sophomore in high school. On top of that, he'll be dealing with the rust and psychological hurdles of overcoming an ACL tear (generally speaking, guys who have come back are not nearly the same player in year one of their return and need to play their way back into form). I think he'd be better off getting that rust off against high school competition and ramping up next summer with the team.

Alternatively, he comes early and gets a year of rehab with the world-class Duke basketball trainers and a year of world-class coaching. He spends a year alliance building with teammates and may be ready to play before the end of the season. Even if he "loses" a year of eligibility, it's unlikely that he'd use all 4, anyway.

If he can do it academically, it seems to make sense.

roywhite
05-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Alternatively, he comes early and gets a year of rehab with the world-class Duke basketball trainers and a year of world-class coaching. He spends a year alliance building with teammates and may be ready to play before the end of the season. Even if he "loses" a year of eligibility, it's unlikely that he'd use all 4, anyway.

If he can do it academically, it seems to make sense.

Am I missing something? Is Roach entering Duke this fall a serious consideration? Is there some basis to speculate on this?

budwom
05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Am I missing something? Is Roach entering Duke this fall a serious consideration? Is there some basis to speculate on this?

there seem to be some very unconfirmed rumblings on some boards...doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though some feel that rehabbing at Duke could be beneficial. Whatever...

kAzE
05-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Roach seems like more like a pure point guard than Cook. He also looks significantly stronger and more explosive. Quinn was always going to be a 4 year player, but I think Roach is a better pro prospect and has a chance to go one and done.

Dukehk
05-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Mini Youtube documentary about Roach's come back from injury. He seems like a really down to earth and humble young man. Kind of reminds me of Tre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ESLtOXb1g

Saratoga2
05-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Mini Youtube documentary about Roach's come back from injury. He seems like a really down to earth and humble young man. Kind of reminds me of Tre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ESLtOXb1g

I notice he uses either hand when going to the basket. Hand to play him as right or left hand dominant.

MChambers
05-10-2019, 08:17 AM
I notice he uses either hand when going to the basket. Hand to play him as right or left hand dominant.

Our first amphibious point guard since Kyrie?

LasVegas
05-10-2019, 12:03 PM
Looks like a fine young player! Welcome!

revmel53
05-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Wow, great beginning of documentary... He's going to be a great member of the Brotherhood! Welcome Jeremy.

Spanarkel
05-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Jeremy played 22 games in the NikeEYBL with his squad Team Takeover winning the PeachJam(16U), and probably at least that many more with Team Takeover at other AAU events last spring/summer.

He played with his high school team, PaulVI, in June 2018(I don't know the number of games/scrimmages played in the highly competitive DC area in a typical June).

He played with USA 17U in the FIBA Championship in Argentina last summer, with 7 official games/competitive tryouts and practices.

Unless you don't consider the NikeEYBL/AAU/DC-area HS/USA basketball to be competitive, then Jeremy's last competitive basketball was months after the completion of his sophomore year in high school.