PDA

View Full Version : Boogie Ellis decommits from Duke

jamos14
05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
https://t.co/qR7rLhDIL5

Bad news for Duke. This is major blowback from the Cassius Stanley commitment.

mattman91
05-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Yikes.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 12:27 PM

How do you know this is related to Cassius Stanley? Are you guessing or do you have actual intel?

jamos14
05-02-2019, 12:28 PM
How do you know this is related to Cassius Stanley? Are you guessing or do you have actual intel?

Sorry, complete speculation. But it would be hard to be coincidence based on the timing of Stanley's commitment and this news.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Just saw this. Wow! Big blow to our team, though perhaps the most positive spin is that maybe Stanley is better than expected. I was hoping Ellis could serve as a backup PG for us, but I guess that role now falls to Goldwire.

Mods: I feel like this topic deserves its own thread.

hibby91
05-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Where is he going to land. Apparently his only other official visit was UNC.

Dukehky
05-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Where is he going to land. Apparently his only other official visit was UNC.

He's been playing really well lately. Could see himself as a 1 and done type if he has the ball in his hands. With Tre back, and Stanley, Moore, and AOC all competing for spots at the 2 guard spot, he's not gonna be able to control the ball.

That being said, I can all but guarantee you he's not going to UNC to play behind Cole Anthony and compete with Anthony Harris.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Sorry, complete speculation. But it would be hard to be coincidence based on the timing of Stanley's commitment and this news.

More speculation here, but I think Jones coming back probably played a role as well. Ellis is a combo guard but probably wants to develop as a PG. Between Jones, Goldwire, O’Connell, Stanley, maybe even Moore we had a real logjam at the guard spots.

O’Connell is pretty much our only shooter at the 1-3 positions. Really need him to make a jump.

Dukehky
05-02-2019, 12:37 PM

I'm not sure this is it. They are from the same area, know each other, and Boogie has been tweeting videos of he and Cassius at all star games as "Duke Commits." Doesn't seem like someone who is pissed off about Stanley joining the team.

I think he's got some people in his ear telling him that he would be better off NBA wise going somewhere else. That's just a guess though.

ChillinDuke
05-02-2019, 12:39 PM
This is terrible news!!!

I was very excited to have Boogie on board. Man.

- Chillin

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Well now we have an opening if Hampton wants to reconsider, or Nico Mannion wants to stay clear of that dumpster fire in AZ. I know, I’m dreaming....

CDu
05-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Well, it is certainly sad to see a player have a change of heart. But folks were already discussing how challenging it was going to be to find minutes for everyone. This just sort of addresses that problem. Not the most cheerful of silver linings, but I'm trying.

The biggest downside, of course, is that it's one less option to potentially return for the 2021 season. That team is likely to have a ton of turnover, as only 3 players would be potential upperclassmen returning (Baker as a junior, O'Connell and Goldwire as seniors), and those 3 have a combined 1362 career minutes. And given the still-crowded roster as is, that number might or might not get much above 2000 next year. Ellis seemed like a player who would have been a multi-year guy, whereas the other four freshmen (Carey and Hurt due to top-10 status, Moore given his USAB resume, Stanley given his advanced age for a prospect) have a higher risk of being one-and-done.

Hopefully we are able to fill in the holes so that it's not such a small number of returning players. I'd still very much like to see a true transfer added this summer to bolster the 2021 team. But it might need to be two.

Troublemaker
05-02-2019, 12:49 PM
This is terrible news!!!

I was very excited to have Boogie on board. Man.

- Chillin

Yeah, as much as I've lauded Hurt, Boogie was the best shooter on this team. I was looking forward to watching him drain NBA threes, whether this upcoming season or the next. I'm annoyed by this news. And if he goes to UNC...

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 12:50 PM
Terrible news about Boogie. It just goes to highlight how crazy this one and done phase has become.

Sorry Boogie, but you playing 35 minutes as a Freshman is unlikely to get you drafted in the first round no matter where you go.

What happened to sitting as a Freshman and being patient enough to develop into an actual pro prospect? These kids just think because they are ranked they deserve to be drafted. Its crazy.

jamos14
05-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Yeah, as much as I've lauded Hurt, Boogie was the best shooter on this team. I was looking forward to watching him drain NBA threes, whether this upcoming season or the next. I'm annoyed by this news. And if he goes to UNC...

I can't imagine him going to UNC. They just had 3 guards commit in last week. Not a lot of PT there either.

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 12:52 PM
I can't imagine him going to UNC. They just had 3 guards commit in last week. Not a lot of PT there either.

Looks like memphis or USC to me.

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Well, it is certainly sad to see a player have a change of heart. But folks were already discussing how challenging it was going to be to find minutes for everyone. This just sort of addresses that problem. Not the most cheerful of silver linings, but I'm trying.

The biggest downside, of course, is that it's one less option to potentially return for the 2021 season. That team is likely to have a ton of turnover, as only 3 players would be potential upperclassmen returning (Baker as a junior, O'Connell and Goldwire as seniors), and those 3 have a combined 1362 career minutes. And given the still-crowded roster as is, that number might or might not get much above 2000 next year. Ellis seemed like a player who would have been a multi-year guy, whereas the other four freshmen (Carey and Hurt due to top-10 status, Moore given his USAB resume, Stanley given his advanced age for a prospect) have a higher risk of being one-and-done.

Hopefully we are able to fill in the holes so that it's not such a small number of returning players. I'd still very much like to see a true transfer added this summer to bolster the 2021 team. But it might need to be two.

What is it with us and these California kids. We just don't seem to mesh well with them since Demarcus?

Im hoping Cassius Stanley stays at least another year or two because that dude isn't ready for the NBA either.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 01:01 PM
What is it about players from the west coast and leaving our program? Chris Burgess, Taylor King, Jamal Boykin, Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter, now Ellis. We should just stop recruiting in CA and Nevada.

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 01:02 PM
What is it about players from the west coast and leaving our program? Chris Burgess, Taylor King, Jamal Boykin, Derryck Thornton, Chase Jeter, now Ellis. We should just stop recruiting in CA and Nevada.

You read my mind.

Even when Boogie committed, I was thinking to myself, lets hope this kid breaks the california curse. Turns out he doesn't even make it on campus.

We should stop recruiting these west coast kids. They are just built differently.

Billy Dat
05-02-2019, 01:09 PM
We should stop recruiting these west coast kids. They are just built differently.

Carrick Felix, too.

Marvin worked out pretty well, though. Maybe they just need to be the #1 guy in the class.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Those who grow up in California (or on the west coast in general) seem to want to stay there.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Maybe his parents wasn't going to be able to make the move to Durham? Top recruits families can get loans from their draft insurance but Boogies ranking isn't high enough for that.

kAzE
05-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Wow, this sucks . . . He was probably the best shooter on the team. I really wanted him to be the guy who took over this team the next 2 years . . .

Too bad.

Natty_B
05-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Carrick Felix, too.

Marvin worked out pretty well, though. Maybe they just need to be the #1 guy in the class.

Yeahhhhhhh is there a curse when Bagley just turned in a dominant season? I see major minutes for Jones, Carey Jr. and Hurt. That left a lot of dudes (O'Connell, Baker, Stanley, White, Moore, Ellis, Goldwire) looking for what was left. Somebody from that 6 (or 5 since it wouldn't be White) was leaving the program. Just happened now instead of December.

Dukebasketball2020
05-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Losing Ellis is going to hurt our team he would have been the best 3-Point shooter on our roster

Troublemaker
05-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Yeahhhhhhh is there a curse when Bagley just turned in a dominant season? I see major minutes for Jones, Carey Jr. and Hurt. That left a lot of dudes (O'Connell, Baker, Stanley, White, Moore, Ellis) looking for what was left. Somebody from that 6 (or 5 since it wouldn't be White) was leaving the program. Just happened now instead of December.

Yeah, but he was the one I didn't want to leave, though. I really just love Boogie's shot, and the team just became less aesthetically pleasing to me.

We'll be okay, though. Just really annoyed right now.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Losing Ellis is going to hurt our team he would have been the best 3-Point shooter on our roster

Ehhh. AOC was our best 3PT shooter this season and he didn't play much during the end.

g4orce
05-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Considering he indicated he was excited playing with Cassius, any chance we asked him to decommit? Did we need to free up a scholarship for anyone else? (I lost track of the scholly count). The lack of any rumor "why" is curious.

Acymetric
05-02-2019, 01:34 PM
What is it with us and these California kids. We just don't seem to mesh well with them since Demarcus?

Im hoping Cassius Stanley stays at least another year or two because that dude isn't ready for the NBA either.

Carrick Felix, too.

Those who grow up in California (or on the west coast in general) seem to want to stay there.

We've had this issue with football commits out of CA as well, so there may be something to that.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Ehhh. AOC was our best 3PT shooter this season and he didn't play much during the end.

I’m hoping Alex takes a big leap. I would rather rely on a junior O’Connell than a freshman starting at our 2 spot, though having more pieces for depth is always desirable.

subzero02
05-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Carrick Felix, too.

Demarcus Nelson worked out ok... Olek Czyz did not

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Wow, this sucks . . . He was probably the best shooter on the team. I really wanted him to be the guy who took over this team the next 2 years . . .

Too bad.

Its sad that kids ranked in the late 30's think they need to go pro after their freshmen seasons.

The facts actually point to the contrary. People fail to mention that alot of the stars currently performing at the top level in the NBA playoffs have stayed in school for 2-3 years. Draymond Green. Steph Curry. Damian Lillard. James Harden. Chris Paul. Klay Thompson. Andre Igoudala. CJ Mcollum. Kawhi Leonard. Kyle Lowry, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris and the list goes on and on.

There is only ONE Kevin Durant. There is only ONE Kyrie Irving. Most players will never get to that level but that doesn't mean you can't carve out a niche in the NBA.

I just wish these kids would be patient and actually take the time to develop under the best coach in the business.

scottdude8
05-02-2019, 01:51 PM
I think I jinxed things when I made that thread about how this year's recruiting class had the potential to placate some of the one-and-done haters, with Boogie being one of the major guys who looked like he'd be around for 2-3 years contributing. I feel like this one will hurt more in 2020-21 than it will in 2019-20, for many of the reasons people have already discussed about playing time. With that in mind, I have to imagine that this was either fueled by a late decision to be closer to home (which, as has also been discussed, has hurt us a ton with west-coast kids, and is understandable) or a desire to get 15+ mpg from the get-go.

Recruiting a PG in the 2020 class now becomes priority No. 1, even over getting a big IMHO (given the way that college basketball is evolving, like the NBA, into something that prioritizes the perimeter). That said, given the way he developed from Year 1 to Year 2, if we had to have JG starting as a senior, I don't think it would be the end of the world like many here do. While that might limit our ceiling and prevent us from being a legit Top 5 team, I'd rather have a defensive minded senior leader at the point than forcing someone into that role who isn't ready. I know I make comparisons to my beloved Wolverines all the time, but Zavier Simpson is a barely 6-foot tall PG who lacks an outside shot and has severe offensive limitations too, but is a defensive bulldog and a clear leader. All he's done is lead Michigan to a Final Four in his first year as a starter, and lead a team that was consistently in the Top 10 and a 2-seed in the tourney as a junior. Yes, he's a caliber of recruit above JG (Zavier was still a fringe Top 10 PG in his class), but there are some similarities to draw there, and there's every reason to believe JG will continue to improve. NO ONE thought he'd contribute to this team like he did this year. With a summer of focus on fixing his jump shot who knows how he'll develop.

Sad to see this happen as I was excited to see Boogie play, as was everyone, and it seemed like he was all-in for Duke. That said there are ALWAYS things going on behind the scenes that we aren't aware of (as the rash of seemingly ill-advised draft decisions this year is making clear to anyone who closely follows this sport). Honestly I'd rather this happen now then face a potential transfer and the rumors/bad optics of that. This sucks, but doesn't change the outlook for next year's squad drastically in my view.

907bluedevils
05-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Alot of Memphis talk, but my assumption is that they are the leader for RJ Hampton and Lester Quiones. I'm not sure the PT will be there either.

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Alot of Memphis talk, but my assumption is that they are the leader for RJ Hampton and Lester Quiones. I'm not sure the PT will be there either.

Off to usc to play with um..derryck thornton.

Troublemaker
05-02-2019, 01:55 PM
I’m hoping Alex takes a big leap. I would rather rely on a junior O’Connell than a freshman starting at our 2 spot, though having more pieces for depth is always desirable.

I'm rooting for my boy Jack, personally. Hopefully he experiences a senior season in which his shot never leaves him. If Jack comes through, we'll be huge on the wings again. What I'm rooting for (technically, I am also rooting for Coach K to not have a 7.5-man rotation, but just gotta be realistic):

mpg
Starters
mpg
Bench

deep bench

So Tre
Jr JGold

Fr Cassius

Fr Wendell

(Jr AOC)

Sr Jack
So Joey

Fr Matthew

Sr JRob

Fr Vernon
Sr Javin

(Sr Marques)

azzefkram
05-02-2019, 02:00 PM
This is a bummer. I was looking forward to having him on next year's team.

Dukehk
05-02-2019, 02:05 PM
I'm rooting for my boy Jack, personally. Hopefully he experiences a senior season in which his shot never leaves him. If Jack comes through, we'll be huge on the wings again. What I'm rooting for (technically, I am also rooting for Coach K to not have a 7.5-man rotation, but just gotta be realistic):

mpg
Starters
mpg
Bench

deep bench

So Tre
Jr JGold

Fr Cassius

Fr Wendell

(Jr AOC)

Sr Jack
So Joey

Fr Matthew

Sr JRob

Fr Vernon
Sr Javin

(Sr Marques)

Captain Jack will come through. Last year was probably the hardest of his young basketball career. He will have learned from it. Expecting him to be a flamethrower from 3 point range to the tune of 45%+ :cool:

Maybe this is the year Coach K goes with 8-9 man rotation.

devildeac
05-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Yikes.

At least your beer-less month is done. :rolleyes:

This de-commit is not good news. :(

OldPhiKap
05-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hear, but I wish him luck in any game not involving Duke.

Oriole Way
05-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Disappointing news. It might not have been an either/or proposition, but I would have preferred Ellis on the team to Stanley.

SupaDave
05-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Carrick Felix, too.

Carrick Felix! Holy smokes I haven't heard that name in a long time.

And while Bags was a Cali recruit via Arizona - he is the ONLY recruit we've had with LEGIT Durham roots. I'm sure that made his transition much easier.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 02:18 PM
I liked both Stanley and Boogie equally. Sad to see Boogie go.

Natty_B
05-02-2019, 02:22 PM
I don't really worry about 2020-2021 with this news. In this OAD, transfer, Grad-transfer era you can build/rebuild your team in weeks (look at UNC adding 4 dudes since mid-April). I'm kinda more interested in what Bolden/DeLaurier do because this team could use experience and size.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 02:23 PM
What I'm rooting for (technically, I am also rooting for Coach K to not have a 7.5-man rotation, but just gotta be realistic):]

Wow, you’re really down on AOC. I project him to start with Moore at the 3. Love Jack but he’s a 3/4 and his role is still limited. He was the perfect 6th man when surrounded by scoring machines like we had this past season (assuming he can knock down his shot) but next years team is going to need offense. He’ll be in the rotation though, moreso now with Ellis gone.

Starters:
Jones
O’Connell
Moore
Hurt or Javin
Carey

bench:
Goldwire
Bolden
Javin or Hurt
Jack

Garbage time:
Stanley
Baker
Robinson
Buckmire

szstark
05-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Why is the guy we’ve never seen play against college competition always designated as the “best” whatever on the team? Wasn’t Baker supposed to be the “best 3-point shooter on the team” until we actually got to see him play in a game? I know, small sample, but you get the point. If he didn’t want to be here, I’d much rather see him leave now than be unhappy in the locker room.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-02-2019, 02:29 PM
No more Boogie Wonderland - I guess he decided to Boogie on out.

This situation is very odd. I'm sure we will get absolutely no info (not that we are entitled to any). I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes assuming it is not Chapel Hill (which is highly unlikely). So much for the Brotherhood.

Troublemaker
05-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Wow, you’re really down on AOC. I project him to start with Moore at the 3. Love Jack but he’s a 3/4 and his role is still limited. He was the perfect 6th man when surrounded by scoring machines like we had this past season (assuming he can knock down his shot) but next years team is going to need offense. He’ll be in the rotation though, moreso now with Ellis gone.

In my "what I'm rooting for" projections, Jack has his shot back. And if Jack has his shot back, I'm not sure AOC provides more offense than him. But I know Jack will provide more defense and rebounding.

Also, I think your premise is wrong. The Duke team from just this past season was a defense-first team. The Duke team for the upcoming season projects to be an offense-first team. I don't think we'll "need offense" this upcoming season, but we might need defense, rebounding, and leadership from a captain.

In any case, you have cheered me up somewhat, UrinalCake, by engaging me in a minutes discussion. I know for many others, a minutes discussion does the opposite of cheering up. For those folks, I apologize.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 02:32 PM
I don't really worry about 2020-2021 with this news. In this OAD, transfer, Grad-transfer era you can build/rebuild your team in weeks (look at UNC adding 4 dudes since mid-April).

Yeah, I agree. 2020 is a lifetime away in recruiting terms. And everything I’ve read suggests that the staff has been planning on bringing in a big class next year for a long time, and thus has been targeting a lot of guys already.

It’s a bummer that we’ll lose some continuity, but then again for all we know Ellis could wind up as a OAD anyways. Who knows. Next season we should have O’Connell, Goldwire, Baker, and Stanley back. Maybe Moore or even Hurt comes back. We’ve offered the Williams kid and are pursuing Brandon Boston, Scottie Barnes, Kessler, Roach, and others. Plenty of time to build the roster.

Troublemaker
05-02-2019, 02:35 PM
No more Boogie Wonderland - I guess he decided to Boogie on out.

This situation is very odd. I'm sure we will get absolutely no info (not that we are entitled to any). I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes assuming it is not Chapel Hill (which is highly unlikely). So much for the Brotherhood.

Oh, we'll hear about it. Duke isn't the only one with information on this one.

I suspect Boogie's father or maybe Boogie himself will get interviewed at some point, and they'll outright say or imply that they want the ball in Boogie's hands as a freshman. At least that's what I hope, as that would rule out UNC with Cole Anthony there.

jipops
05-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Starters:
Jones
O’Connell
Moore
Hurt or Javin
Carey

bench:
Goldwire
Bolden
Javin or Hurt
Jack

Garbage time:
Stanley
Baker
Robinson
Buckmire

Starters are going to be fluid throughout the season. I think speculating on who gets "major" minutes and who mostly sits falls more into the realm of realism.

Major Minutes:
Jones
AOC
Javin
Carey
Moore
Hurt
White (will get burn because we'll desperately need some defense)

Mostly Sits:
Stanley (will have a few games seeing significant action, but mostly early in the season)
Goldwire (will have a few games seeing action depending on defensive need)
Baker
Robinson
Buckmire

If Stanley is really good right away then flip flop him for AOC. And I don't expect Bolden to be back.

DeBlueDevil
05-02-2019, 02:39 PM
I got a chance to see Boogie and Cassius up close and personal at the Allen Iverson All Star game a week or so ago and in my opinion Stanley looks like the better prospect and more college ready. I left the game that night rather excited to see Cassius next year as he led his team in scoring with 30 pts smoothly but Boogie seemed to struggle to belong among the top prospects. He held his own but you could tell he wasn’t as good as the other guard prospects.

This is definitely surprising and unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the depth at guard this season but I did find myself thinking he would struggle to see the court next year in a crowded backcourt which I would think likely is the case for the decommitment. Sad to him go but I do think we will be ok due to the experience and hopeful improvement of AOC and Goldwire.

mattman91
05-02-2019, 02:39 PM
I love how all threads turn in to rosterbation threads between the months of April and October.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 02:43 PM
This is definitely surprising and unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the

in-season transfer of Boogie Ellis, the away loss at PNC, and a transfer to Duke sitting on the bench. All key signs needed of a title year.

DeBlueDevil
05-02-2019, 02:47 PM
I got a chance to see Boogie and Cassius up close and personal at the Allen Iverson All Star game a week or so ago and in my opinion Stanley looks like the better prospect and more college ready. I left the game that night rather excited to see Cassius next year as he led his team in scoring with 30 pts smoothly but Boogie seemed to struggle to belong among the top prospects. He held his own but you could tell he wasn’t as good as the other guard prospects.

This is definitely surprising and unfortunate because I was really looking forward to the depth at guard this season but I did find myself thinking he would struggle to see the court next year in a crowded backcourt which I would think likely is the case for the decommitment. Sad to him go but I do think we will be ok due to the experience and hopeful improvement of AOC and Goldwire.

MChambers
05-02-2019, 02:48 PM
It's possible that the Duke staff knew that Ellis was considering de-committing and decided to recruit Stanley in part because of that.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 02:52 PM

How did Cassius look from 3pt range? His shooting stats from HS is abysmal so any good news is welcomed.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 02:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/fB51OAv.png

frb
05-02-2019, 02:57 PM
wow! didn't see this coming. What can ya do? Next man in!

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-02-2019, 02:59 PM
He was a Dukie from Nov 2018 (commitment) to May 2019 (decommitment). Almost as long as Bagley (Aug 2017-Apr 2018).

frb
05-02-2019, 03:00 PM
It's possible that the Duke staff knew that Ellis was considering de-committing and decided to recruit Stanley in part because of that.

probably.. there was a local tv reporter who said something like the cat is out of the bag. duke has been recruiting cassius stanley for a while. sounded like he knew and agreed just to not report it at the request of Stanley. did anyone else see this tweet? Sorry I don't have a link

HereBeforeCoachK
05-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Well, it is certainly sad to see a player have a change of heart. But folks were already discussing how challenging it was going to be to find minutes for everyone. .

THIS ^^^....my first thought. Then again, maybe my Stanley Cup fever is clouding my judgment....

DeBlueDevil
05-02-2019, 03:02 PM
His jump shot was way better than advertised in my opinion! I paid close attention to that due to the word that he wasn’t a great shooter and I thought he looked pretty good. I do understand that uncontested 3’s in an all star game is not a great gauge compared to the defense of the ACC but he looked promising. I watch both Stanley and Boogie extensively in warm ups and Cassius’ jump shot looked way more consistent and smooth. He does tend to prefer slashing to the rim which is understandably given his bouncy athletic ability but I’d be very surprised if he didn’t see significant playing time next year. Only way i see him not starting at 2 guard is if AOC has his act together. I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised.

Boogie will be a very good player. I just think he’s slightly behind the other guards in this class and maybe a 2-3 year player rather than a one and done. Top 100 is top 100 and I would’ve loved to see him as potentially a 3rd or 4th guard in tough game situations.

Kfanarmy
05-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Yeah, but he was the one I didn't want to leave, though. I really just love Boogie's shot, and the team just became less aesthetically pleasing to me.

We'll be okay, though. Just really annoyed right now.

What do you mean here?

devildeac
05-02-2019, 03:03 PM
When's the last time we had a none and done? Humphries?

:o:rolleyes:

frb
05-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Disappointing news. It might not have been an either/or proposition, but I would have preferred Ellis on the team to Stanley.

I think it had more to do with Tre returning and we wanted Tre back all along. If Boogie doesn't want to come in and compete, then I wish him good luck. I think he would've been a good multi year player. Maybe he's wants OAD.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 03:07 PM
I think it had more to do with Tre returning and we wanted Tre back all along. If Boogie doesn't want to come in and compete, then I wish him good luck. I think he would've been a good multi year player. Maybe he's wants OAD.
DING DING DING

Eric Bossi is a Kansas Recruiting Insider and this is what he found out from Boogie's HS coach.:
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/118/211/9211118.png

rocketeli
05-02-2019, 03:10 PM

they get homesick. The US is a pretty homogeneous country but there is enough difference between the far west and North Carolina to create a fair bit of culture shock.

Matches
05-02-2019, 03:12 PM

Livingston.

Jordan Tucker came pretty close.

johnb
05-02-2019, 03:13 PM
First off, any player who decommits isn’t a Duke player or a member of the Brotherhood. They may be an awesome person and player, but we don’t get to take credit for Bill Bradley or LeBron or Kobe or anyone who shoulda woulda coulda.

From reading stuff linked from dbr and the chronicle, Stanley has developed an outside game to go along with his extreme hops. He’s going to star.

If I’m guessing, I think Boogie has played with the guy and realized that Cassius is a better player and didn’t want to struggle to stay in our 7/8 man rotation as a freshman. Sure, we’d be better off with him in 2021, but most top 30 players don’t like to sit on the bench.

It could also be a bunch of other things.

Whatever. We’ll still have more talent than just about anybody—this will give other guys more pt, and we’ll see how the team comes together.

rsvman
05-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Humphries was for sure a none-and-done. Wasn't Carrick Felix one of those, too?

MChambers
05-02-2019, 03:25 PM

I was thinking of Felix.

weezie
05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Well now we have an opening if Hampton wants to reconsider, or Nico Mannion wants to stay clear of that dumpster fire in AZ. I know, I’m dreaming...

Yes, isn't that interesting, how quiet that front has been.

frb
05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
did felix actually sign a LOI like boogie did?

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 03:34 PM
What about the big man who started the whole cinderblock debate and then decommitted and went to Georgetown?

ChillinDuke
05-02-2019, 03:39 PM
What about the big man who started the whole cinderblock debate and then decommitted and went to Georgetown?

Nice one.

Tyler Adams.

- Chillin

Bluedog
05-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Tyler Adams...2010. That one was a bit different though in that Duke and Adams had both kinda parted ways before the official decommit.

IrishDevil
05-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Livingston.

Ack, too soon. What that 04-05 team could have done with a true point guard, better ballhandling, and more size...

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Tyler Adams...2010. That one was a bit different though in that Duke and Adams had both kinda parted ways before the official decommit.

We had built a wall of cinderblocks between us....

kAzE
05-02-2019, 04:04 PM
DING DING DING

Eric Bossi is a Kansas Recruiting Insider and this is what he found out from Boogie's HS coach.:
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/118/211/9211118.png

Seems like Boogie wouldn't have played PG regardless of Tre's decision. We would have gone pretty hard after RJ Hampton if Tre had gone pro.

devildeac
05-02-2019, 04:06 PM
Livingston.

I forgot about Livingston. Did he sign an LOI? Partial credit for Tucker. Felix sounds right, too.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Seems like Boogie wouldn't have played PG regardless of Tre's decision. We would have gone pretty hard after RJ Hampton if Tre had gone pro.

Yes, but big difference Tre, a pure point, versus RJ who is also a combo. Easier sell on RJ / Boogie ball-handling duo than Tre / Boogie.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Unproven on the college level, and unproven against Duke-level competition.

curtis325
05-02-2019, 04:25 PM
The only known cure for Boogie Fever.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 04:30 PM
I don't really worry about 2020-2021 with this news. In this OAD, transfer, Grad-transfer era you can build/rebuild your team in weeks (look at UNC adding 4 dudes since mid-April). I'm kinda more interested in what Bolden/DeLaurier do because this team could use experience and size.

Could not agree more.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Captain Jack will come through.

Maybe this is the year Coach K goes with 8-9 man rotation.
Captain Jack will get you high tonight. And, hopefully, find his long-lost shot.

No, this will not be the year K goes with an 8-9 man rotation. Would be nice, but it’s kinda not his thing.

kAzE
05-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Still, continuity is huge for deep postseason runs. Most of the teams who have made the Final Four in recent memory had guys who had stuck around and played together for at least 2-3 years. I had envisioned Boogie Ellis as a 3-4 year player capable of putting up big scoring numbers. So much for that.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Demarcus Nelson worked out ok... Olek Czyz did not

Were you not entertained by Olek?

Devilwin
05-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Curley Bill, from "Tombstone". "Well, bye"..

wavedukefan70s
05-02-2019, 04:54 PM
I doubt we will.but I'd love to get a grad transfer at the 4 /small 5 spot.just for injury depth.

CDu
05-02-2019, 04:57 PM
I doubt we will.but I'd love to get a grad transfer at the 4 /small 5 spot.just for injury depth.

I would assume we will have one, if not both, of the senior-to-be bigs returning. As of now, depth in the frontcourt (or anywhere, actually) is not a concern for me. I am more interested now in having continuity players in both the frontcourt and backcourt for the following season. Right now it looks like we will have some guards and at least one wing back for 2021, but likely no frontcourt guys.

MChambers
05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Yes, isn't that interesting, how quiet that front has been.

Yeah, too quiet.

thedukelamere
05-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Curley Bill, from "Tombstone". "Well, bye"..

I got you.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WeightyJitteryKakapo-size_restricted.gif

I'm bummed; my wife said that Boogie reminded her a little of Quinn (her favorite non-Grayson Dukie) and that has stuck in my head ever since. Best of luck to the young man wherever he lands.

wavedukefan70s
05-02-2019, 05:26 PM
I would assume we will have one, if not both, of the senior-to-be bigs returning. As of now, depth in the frontcourt (or anywhere, actually) is not a concern for me. I am more interested now in having continuity players in both the frontcourt and backcourt for the following season. Right now it looks like we will have some guards and at least one wing back for 2021, but likely no frontcourt guys.

I'm very concerned about Bolden. Not that I know anything .I just believe he has a unlocked mode of talent that the NBA will see .
Also does this effect hampton?

CDu
05-02-2019, 05:33 PM
I'm very concerned about Bolden. Not that I know anything .I just believe he has a unlocked mode of talent that the NBA will see .

I think we will be fine as long as at least one of Bolden and DeLaurier returns.

I don’t think Ellis’ decision has any impact on Hampton’s decision. I think, as Jim Sumner suggested, the late full-court press for Stanley was an effect of the fact that Hampton probably wasn’t coming. I think that ultimately Tre Jones’ return is what sealed that deal.

ncexnyc
05-02-2019, 06:12 PM
What happened to sitting as a Freshman and being patient enough to develop into an actual pro prospect? These kids just think because they are ranked they deserve to be drafted. Its crazy.

That went out the window around the same time my six pack abs and hair disappeared. So yeah, it's been awhile.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Doesn’t mean Duke would’ve gotten him.

Natty_B
05-02-2019, 06:35 PM

Has Bolden even gotten an invite to the G League Combine? Not that I heard. Might still come safe to say he’s not getting one to the NBA combine.

lotusland
05-02-2019, 06:42 PM
The only known cure for Boogie Fever.

I thought he was our boogie man. Guess that’s not what he am.

moonpie23
05-02-2019, 06:46 PM
wow. this drops our class rank down to. oops 😇 still # 1

Steven43
05-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Haha. An embarrassment of riches, indeed.

lotusland
05-02-2019, 06:50 PM
While we’re on the subject of disappointing Cali guys, I’d like to give a shout-out to Bilas.

sagegrouse
05-02-2019, 07:14 PM
they get homesick. The US is a pretty homogeneous country but there is enough difference between the far west and North Carolina to create a fair bit of culture shock.

Yeah. QB commit Jack Sears from Orange County CA visited Duke for the Army game during Hurricane Matthew. He shortly thereafter opted for the earthquakes and wildfires of Southern California.

Bob Green
05-02-2019, 07:26 PM

Exactly. This is a non-story. In fact, the most boring topic on Duke Basketball Report forums is Duke basketball recruiting. Coach K and staff will just run out and sign another recruit who has one foot in the NBA before he ever steps foot on campus.

If it was up to me, I would counter the NBA's one and done rule by making freshmen ineligible to play again.

proelitedota
05-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Exactly. This is a non-story. In fact, the most boring topic on Duke Basketball Report forums is Duke basketball recruiting. Coach K and staff will just run out and sign another recruit who has one foot in the NBA before he ever steps foot on campus.

If it was up to me, I would counter the NBA's one and done rule by making freshmen ineligible to play again.

I am just bummed because I liked Boogie and his game.

WiJoe
05-02-2019, 07:53 PM
While we’re on the subject of disappointing Cali guys, I’d like to give a shout-out to Bilas.

the road to disappointing took years of "work" for him

SlapTheFloor
05-02-2019, 07:54 PM
This won't make much of a difference for next year, but I had high hopes Boogie could be a good multi-year player. The past two tournaments, we've lost to teams led by players originally rated in the 30s during recruiting (Devonte Graham #36, Cassius Winston #31).

MChambers
05-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Freshmen get off of my lawn?

dukelion
05-02-2019, 08:26 PM
I am just bummed because I liked Boogie and his game.

Same here.

He's gonna be a great college player and I would have loved to see him develop over the next 2-3 years.

My guess is that strike 1 was Tre coming back. That was most certainly a surprise and cut into his projected PT at PG. Strike 2 & 3 was recruiting Stanley as I'm sure he felt that he was recruited over. And with Tre coming back he probably assumed he get some minutes at the 2 but instead it was gonna be a log jam and a fight minutes between him, AOC, Stanley, Goldwire and Moore.

As I type those names out I realize Duke will be more than fine but I still wanted to see Boogie as a Blue Devil.

Neals384
05-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Can we please stop with the West coast players meme? Where the heck do you think Cassius Stanley is from?

Saratoga2
05-02-2019, 08:43 PM

When i heard Duke was recruiting Stanley I thought that one of our existing guards, perhaps AOC or another was in the process of transferring. It might just have been that coach K knew that Ellis had a change of heart and was transferring. It certainly is plausible.

UrinalCake
05-02-2019, 09:14 PM
We basically have the same team as before Stanley committed, at least in terms of total overall talent. Ellis is a better shooter but Stanley brings great athleticism and some reports claim his shooting has improved. Put it this way: imagine Ellis had never committed in the fall but had instead waited until the Spring to decide, and everything else happened the same for us, and then today was the day when he announced his college choice and Duke was among them. Would any of us feel like he was a must get? I imagine we would view him as a nice piece and a building block for the future but we wouldn’t be too heartbroken or surprised if he picked another school.

I’m honestly kind of surprised there aren’t more guys who change their minds, especially those who verbally commit early in the process. There are so many twists and turns that a roster will go through between players blowing up and leaving early, falling short and staying longer, transferring, getting injured, coaches moving, etc. It kind of makes sense for everyone to wait until the spring to make their final decisions.

Speaking of which, it’s kind of strange to me that the actual signing period was just a week or so ago. That’s when Ellis and the others officially signed their LOI’s if I’m not mistaken. So why would he sign that if he had an inkling that he wasn’t sure about the decision?

CDu
05-02-2019, 09:39 PM
We basically have the same team as before Stanley committed, at least in terms of total overall talent. Ellis is a better shooter but Stanley brings great athleticism and some reports claim his shooting has improved. Put it this way: imagine Ellis had never committed in the fall but had instead waited until the Spring to decide, and everything else happened the same for us, and then today was the day when he announced his college choice and Duke was among them. Would any of us feel like he was a must get? I imagine we would view him as a nice piece and a building block for the future but we wouldn’t be too heartbroken or surprised if he picked another school.

I’m honestly kind of surprised there aren’t more guys who change their minds, especially those who verbally commit early in the process. There are so many twists and turns that a roster will go through between players blowing up and leaving early, falling short and staying longer, transferring, getting injured, coaches moving, etc. It kind of makes sense for everyone to wait until the spring to make their final decisions.

Speaking of which, it’s kind of strange to me that the actual signing period was just a week or so ago. That’s when Ellis and the others officially signed their LOI’s if I’m not mistaken. So why would he sign that if he had an inkling that he wasn’t sure about the decision?

Ellis signed in the early signing period (November), not last month.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Can we please stop with the West coast players meme? Where the heck do you think Cassius Stanley is from?

Let’s hope he continues to be FROM California and not right back over there like everybody else. Don’t get too comfortable.

Troublemaker
05-02-2019, 09:47 PM

Some of those players listed were freshmen at Duke, too. Some were not sophomores at Duke.

I don't really think Boogie's decision has much to do with Cali if he ends up at Memphis, though.

kshepinthehouse
05-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Why are people so quick to write off Joey Baker? Am I the only one who thinks he may be a great player and a solid contributor to next year’s team?

dukelion
05-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Why are people so quick to write off Joey Baker? Am I the only one who thinks he may be a great player and a solid contributor to next year’s team?

I'm certainly not writing him off....he's a baller in my books.

Perhaps this means Moore gets more time at the two with AOC and Baker gets some quality minutes at the three.

devildeac
05-02-2019, 10:11 PM
I thought he was our boogie man. Guess that’s not what he am.

Indeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPcKtLioww

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-02-2019, 10:16 PM
He was a Dukie from Nov 2018 (commitment) to May 2019 (decommitment). Almost as long as Bagley (Aug 2017-Apr 2018).

Let's retire his jersey.

Steven43
05-02-2019, 11:52 PM

Who is writing off Joey Baker?? Certainly not me. You’re definitely not the only one who thinks he’s going to be a good player. I was clamoring for more minutes for Baker after K finally started playing him. It didn’t happen, unfortunately. Hopefully, he’ll play quite a bit this season.

richardjackson199
05-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Per ESPN headline, Duke expected Ellis to decommit:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26656124/sources-duke-expected-grant-ellis-release

IrishDevil
05-03-2019, 12:32 AM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26656124/sources-duke-expected-grant-ellis-release

Unless that link took me to a different article, it says that Duke is expected to release Boogie from his LOI, not that they expected him to decommit.

proelitedota
05-03-2019, 01:19 AM

Fake news.

richardjackson199
05-03-2019, 01:37 AM
Unless that link took me to a different article, it says that Duke is expected to release Boogie from his LOI, not that they expected him to decommit.

Apologies! I misread the headline.

Edouble
05-03-2019, 01:46 AM
Why is the guy we’ve never seen play against college competition always designated as the “best” whatever on the team? Wasn’t Baker supposed to be the “best 3-point shooter on the team” until we actually got to see him play in a game? I know, small sample, but you get the point. If he didn’t want to be here, I’d much rather see him leave now than be unhappy in the locker room.

Yeah... Matt Jones came in hyped as the next JJ.

richardjackson199
05-03-2019, 02:07 AM
It's not too surprising that in allergy season a boogie would be released.

Ahhhhhh-Choo See ya

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-03-2019, 04:17 AM

Ahhhhhh-Choo See ya

That snot funny.

Green Wave Dukie
05-03-2019, 05:57 AM
That snot funny.

That is gross. Very sneezy.

roywhite
05-03-2019, 06:41 AM
From the ESPN article:

He averaged 23.0 points and 5.0 rebounds for the Oakland Soldiers at July's Nike Peach Jam, shooting 57.5 percent from 3-point range over the seven games.

Uh, Boogie...maybe you'll reconsider? :rolleyes:

kshepinthehouse
05-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Who is writing off Joey Baker?? Certainly not me. You’re definitely not the only one who thinks he’s going to be a good player. I was clamoring for more minutes for Baker after K finally started playing him. It didn’t happen, unfortunately. Hopefully, he’ll play quite a bit this season.

Mostly everyone guessing the minutes distribution for next year. I also think Joey could have helped us last year and wish he would have been given more minutes to see if that was the case. I think he’s sneaky athletic and seems to be a good shooter which is what we were missing last year. I would have loved to see the 5 freshmen on the court together. That would have been a tall lineup and I think Joey could have had some good spot up 3s.

golfinesquire
05-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Mostly everyone guessing the minutes distribution for next year. I also think Joey could have helped us last year and wish he would have been given more minutes to see if that was the case. I think he’s sneaky athletic and seems to be a good shooter which is what we were missing last year. I would have loved to see the 5 freshmen on the court together. That would have been a tall lineup and I think Joey could have had some good spot up 3s.

Really? The few minutes that Baker came in made it clear, at least to me, that he was not ready for prime time.
I assume, given his reputation for being a hard worker and someone invested in the program, that he will make a jump in his sophomore year. fingers crossed.

kshepinthehouse
05-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Really? The few minutes that Baker came in made it clear, at least to me, that he was not ready for prime time.
I assume, given his reputation for being a hard worker and someone invested in the program, that he will make a jump in his sophomore year. fingers crossed.

Yes really :). I think its hard to judge his readiness when he was only given a minute here or there. It would have been nice to see him play the whole season, that would have given us a chance to see him play against lesser competition, then we would know more about his readiness for primetime. Instead, he came in the games during the thick of the schedule and wasn't able to get the leash that he needed to show he could perform. I think its the chicken vs the egg argument. You're saying his development wasn't ready for game time but maybe game time is necessary for his development.

miramar
05-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Yeah... Matt Jones came in hyped as the next JJ.

Olek was going to be an absolute rebounding machine.

I hope he does great wherever he goes, but anyone who expects to be the best shooter at Duke is going to be packing his bags for RDU. It's kind of a law of the universe.

devildeac
05-03-2019, 09:08 AM

Ahhhhhh-Choo See ya

Pretty rash stuff there, Richard.

Troublemaker
05-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Look, Ellis (no more referring to you by first name, Mr. Decommit!) is a great shooter. I don't think it's really in question; feel free to bookmark my post and make fun of me later if I'm wrong. It's not just the EYBL stats where he was 40+% from three. Check out the film on him (youtube, of course :-). We've had good shooters come through our program before obviously, but show me the ones with high school film like Ellis'. He's routinely pulling up (so not just catch-and-shoot) from NBA range and draining threes. He's a very advanced shooter for his age, and it would've been fun to root for him in a Duke uniform.

He's obviously not a perfect prospect -- he's not athletic either vertically *or* horizontally with quickness. He doesn't have an explosive first step. Even on his film, you'll often see him get cut off on his attempted drives before pulling up (and draining) the shot. But for some Duke fans, these weaknesses I listed are a feature, not a bug. Without the amazing physical tools, it's possible Ellis could've been a multi-year player.

It's not a disaster decommit for the program or anything. It just would've been really fun to root for Ellis and watch him drain long-range threes.

Kedsy
05-03-2019, 09:37 AM
What happened to sitting as a Freshman and being patient enough to develop into an actual pro prospect?

What happened to sleeping in caves and eating freshly-killed meat raw?

Wasn’t Baker supposed to be the “best 3-point shooter on the team” until we actually got to see him play in a game?

Baker probably was the best three-point shooter on the team (possibly second-best after AOC). He didn't play for other reasons.

miramar
05-03-2019, 09:50 AM
We've had good shooters come through our program before obviously, but show me the ones with high school film like Ellis'. He's routinely pulling up (so not just catch-and-shoot) from NBA range and draining threes. He's a very advanced shooter for his age, and it would've been fun to root for him in a Duke uniform.

I haven't seen any videos on Ellis, as you correctly call him, so I can't compare, but you can google "Duke bound Cam Reddish shows pro pull-up game." Well, 30.8% of the time anyway.

As Coach K says, you have to see the horses on the track, so who knows?

UrinalCake
05-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Boogie did an interview with Rivals discussing the decommitment. Basically confirmed he wants to play PG.

https://youtu.be/hi-j2VjHukI

jv001
05-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Look, Ellis (no more referring to you by first name, Mr. Decommit!) is a great shooter. I don't think it's really in question; feel free to bookmark my post and make fun of me later if I'm wrong. It's not just the EYBL stats where he was 40+% from three. Check out the film on him (youtube, of course :-). We've had good shooters come through our program before obviously, but show me the ones with high school film like Ellis'. He's routinely pulling up (so not just catch-and-shoot) from NBA range and draining threes. He's a very advanced shooter for his age, and it would've been fun to root for him in a Duke uniform.

He's obviously not a perfect prospect -- he's not athletic either vertically *or* horizontally with quickness. He doesn't have an explosive first step. Even on his film, you'll often see him get cut off on his attempted drives before pulling up (and draining) the shot. But for some Duke fans, these weaknesses I listed are a feature, not a bug. Without the amazing physical tools, it's possible Ellis could've been a multi-year player.

It's not a disaster decommit for the program or anything. It just would've been really fun to root for Ellis and watch him drain long-range threes.

I was looking forward to seeing Ellis play because of his shooting reputation. This past season we were short on outside shooting. I hope this year is vastly different. With Hurt, Stanley, Carey & Moore we should have better options from outside but these players have not played one college game. My hope is to see Tre, Alex, Goldwire and Jack improve their outside shooting. Plus we know very little about Baker's outside shot. And on top of all this talk about shooting, defense will probably be even more of a mystery. GoDuke!

clinresga
05-03-2019, 10:05 AM

Sheesh, the Bilas vilification on this board continues to astound me. To suggest that Bilas was a disappointment clearly ignores his role in Duke and Krzyzewski basketball history. As someone who was on campus for his first two years, I vividly remember him as the kind of player this board tends to love--hard-nosed, physical, consistent, maximized the talent he was given, and a four year player. His class was the turning point for K (and it featured one of my all time favorite players, Dan Meagher). I can guarantee you that Bilas did more for Duke basketball than Boogie Ellis ever would have.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the only one who disagrees with your assessment. Who did Coach K ask to present the 2019 ACC Tournament trophy to his players? Oh yeah...Bilas. And to quote GOAT Coach K on Bilas that evening, "We continue to try and recruit that type of young man," as he looked over at Zion, RJ, and Tre.

miramar
05-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Boogie did an interview with Rivals discussing the decommitment. Basically confirmed he wants to play PG.

https://youtu.be/hi-j2VjHukI

Makes sense, but we know that Coach K can play two point guards at a time. Duke recruited Duhon when they had Jason Williams, and Coach K made sure that the two played on the same side when Chris visited the campus, to keep mom happy IIRC.

It's probably more of a case of finding a school where he will find playing time at PG, but it's good to know that the coaching staff handled it well. No surprise, of course.

Troublemaker
05-03-2019, 10:12 AM
I haven't seen any videos on Ellis, as you correctly call him, so I can't compare, but you can google "Duke bound Cam Reddish shows pro pull-up game." Well, 30.8% of the time anyway.

As Coach K says, you have to see the horses on the track, so who knows?

Yeah, but Cam didn't have the Ellis' stats, and he wasn't consistently shooting it from deep like Ellis.

I'll concede that it doesn't break any laws of physics for Ellis to shoot poorly in his college career. It's not literally impossible. But beyond that, nah, he's just a great shooter.

devilsadvocate85
05-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Meagher was not in that class. Alarie, Bilas, Dawkins, Henderson, Bill Jackman and Weldon Williams made up the class of 86.

Meagher was class of 85.

Sheesh, the Bilas vilification on this board continues to astound me. To suggest that Bilas was a disappointment clearly ignores his role in Duke and Krzyzewski basketball history. As someone who was on campus for his first two years, I vividly remember him as the kind of player this board tends to love--hard-nosed, physical, consistent, maximized the talent he was given, and a four year player. His class was the turning point for K (and it featured one of my all time favorite players, Dan Meagher). I can guarantee you that Bilas did more for Duke basketball than Boogie Ellis ever would have.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the only one who disagrees with your assessment. Who did Coach K ask to present the 2019 ACC Tournament trophy to his players? Oh yeah...Bilas. And to quote GOAT Coach K on Bilas that evening, "We continue to try and recruit that type of young man," as he looked over at Zion, RJ, and Tre.

Duke79UNLV77
05-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Makes sense, but we know that Coach K can play two point guards at a time. Duke recruited Duhon when they had Jason Williams, and Coach K made sure that the two played on the same side when Chris visited the campus, to keep mom happy IIRC.

It's probably more of a case of finding a school where he will find playing time at PG, but it's good to know that the coaching staff handled it well. No surprise, of course.

Makes sense now. Tre coming back triggered Boogie having second thoughts, which triggered our zeroing in on Stanley. I had thought the late recruitment of Stanley was a little curious before.

lotusland
05-03-2019, 10:22 AM

My comment was somewhat tongue n cheek and had nothing to do with his play at Duke. As a pundent/commentator, I find him to be an irritating, pompous, arrogant, self-aggrandizing bloviator. Oh and btw I’m not the only one who feels that way. It’s a message board. I’ve got an opinion, you’ve got an opinion...Yada, yada. I wouldn’t get too chapped about it.

Troublemaker
05-03-2019, 10:27 AM
I was looking forward to seeing Ellis play because of his shooting reputation. This past season we were short on outside shooting. I hope this year is vastly different. With Hurt, Stanley, Carey & Moore we should have better options from outside but these players have not played one college game. My hope is to see Tre, Alex, Goldwire and Jack improve their outside shooting. Plus we know very little about Baker's outside shot. And on top of all this talk about shooting, defense will probably be even more of a mystery. GoDuke!

Unfortunately, those three you list beside Hurt are all question marks as shooters to varying degrees.

I would say the 3 players on the roster we can have confidence in as good shooters are Hurt, Baker, and AOC. And only Hurt is guaranteed to be in the rotation.

Everyone else is a maybe/"hopeful" -- we hope Tre can use the offseason to improve, that Wendell's 36% as a senior translates to college, etc

budwom
05-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, those three you list beside Hurt are all question marks as shooters to varying degrees.

I would say the 3 players on the roster we can have confidence in as good shooters are Hurt, Baker, and AOC. And only Hurt is guaranteed to be in the rotation.

Everyone else is a maybe/"hopeful" -- we hope Tre can use the offseason to improve, that Wendell's 36% as a senior translates to college, etc

I'd personally have Baker in the TBD category rather than having confidence in his shooting. Good rep in HS, no evidence either way at Duke.

ChillinDuke
05-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I get it. I just don't agree with it.

The kid is clearly not in the OAD lock range. There's uncertainty here. Plus he's not a pure PG right now. He's basically a great shooter at this moment. So my view is that one or multiple things have to happen for Boogie to prepare for the next level.

Why on earth he wouldn't want to let Duke get those "next things" out of him is beyond me. And it's not like he was still in his recruitment and window shopping. He was committed already.

Look, I'm fine with the decommitment. It's his prerogative to have second thoughts, and I'm glad the staff took it well (as they should). But it strikes me that playing next season alongside a pure PG with a clear chance to start at the 2/combo spot at a truly premier, primetime place like Duke is a perfect situation for someone in Ellis' shoes.

If the kid wins the starting battle, spells Tre in non-pressure minutes, gets a lot of TV time and attention, it's possible he's OAD and looking great.

If he loses the starting battle, then he's clearly not OAD caliber. So why not take the reins his sophomore year and have a shot at starting PG duties?

Whatever though. Good luck to him. Kinda.

- Chillin

Natty_B
05-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Worrying about three point shooting seems like fighting last seasons battle and with Duke in the OAD era last season might as well be a different program. Never seemed likely that Ellis would have played a lot next year to impact a game with his shooting (I'm also skeptical that Stanley plays a ton or that Moore contributes the way some people are expecting).

Troublemaker
05-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Worrying about three point shooting seems like fighting last seasons battle and with Duke in the OAD era last season might as well be a different program. Never seemed likely that Ellis would have played a lot next year to impact a game with his shooting (I'm also skeptical that Stanley plays a ton or that Moore contributes the way some people are expecting).

The previous season, too, though. It was better in that we had Grayson and Gary, but opponents still clogged the paint and intercepted our poor attempted entry passes.

While I'm hopeful for improvement, it's still very possible we'll have a third consecutive season of opponents camping out in the paint. Kind of jarring since Duke was THE shooters' program (or one of them at least) prior to the past two seasons. Those two teams had other strengths obviously and overall were top-5 kenpom teams that made the Elite 8, but I'm more than ready to return to having more than 0 or 2 shooters on the floor.

rsvman
05-03-2019, 11:28 AM
My comment was somewhat tongue n cheek and had nothing to do with his play at Duke. As a pundent/commentator, I find him to be an irritating, pompous, arrogant, self-aggrandizing bloviator. Oh and btw I’m not the only one who feels that way. It’s a message board. I’ve got an opinion, you’ve got an opinion...Yada, yada. I wouldn’t get too chapped about it.

Sorry, but I can't let this one go. It's pundit, not pundent. There is no such thing as a pundent.

But I agree with you that as a commentator he comes off as rather arrogant and pompous. I would add condescending to the list, too. ;-) (I know that probably seems at least somewhat ironic coming from a guy who just posted a spelling correction on an internet message board. I'm even laughing at myself right now.)

Monmouth77
05-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Sorry, but I can't let this one go. It's pundit, not pundent. There is no such thing as a pundent.

While we have the long knives out for grammar violations, could I also make a modest plea in relation to the use of the word "dominate." It is a verb. For example: "Watch Zion dominate his hapless opponents!"

It is not an adjective! The word that eludes too many on this wonderful forum is "dominant." For example: "The 1999 Duke Men's Basketball Team was dominant. It dominated the ACC. It was fun to watch Elton Brand dominate his opponents.

End public service announcement.

CDu
05-03-2019, 12:07 PM
While we have the long knives out for grammar violations, could I also make a modest plea in relation to the use of the word "dominate." It is a verb. For example: "Watch Zion dominate his hapless opponents!"

It is not an adjective! The word that eludes too many on this wonderful forum is "dominant." For example: "The 1999 Duke Men's Basketball Team was dominant. It dominated the ACC. It was fun to watch Elton Brand dominate his opponents.

End public service announcement.

Yeah, the misuse of "dominate" is up there with the proliferation of "could of" for me in terms of annoyance.

freshmanjs
05-03-2019, 12:09 PM
Yeah, the misuse of "dominate" is up there with the proliferation of "could of" for me in terms of annoyance.

Agree -- those are almost as annoying as Natty and Scholly (what are we, 5 year olds?)

Steven43
05-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Iwould say the 3 players on the roster we can have confidence in as good shooters are Hurt, Baker, and AOC. And only Hurt is guaranteed to be in the rotation.

Nope, those three guys aren’t the only ones. I think you’re slighting Captain Jack a bit. His shot is going to be back next season. White’s going to hit 35% or better from the 3-pt line, which would be positively J.J. Redick-like compared to the percentage of this year’s team.

kAzE
05-03-2019, 12:13 PM

While we're being petty about misuses of the English language, I'd like to air my grievances with the phrase "I could care less" in the context of discussing something you don't care about. Just listen to the damn words you're saying. It makes no sense.

The correct phrase is "I could NOT care less."

freshmanjs
05-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Nope, those three guys aren’t the only ones. I think you’re slighting Captain Jack a bit. His shot is going to be back next season. White’s going to hit 35% or better from the 3-pt line, which would be positively J.J. Redick-like compared to the percentage of this year’s team.

I hope you're right, but not sure a lot of players shoot 17%, 27%, and then over 35% in consecutive years.

MCFinARL
05-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I get it. I just don't agree with it.

The kid is clearly not in the OAD lock range. There's uncertainty here. Plus he's not a pure PG right now. He's basically a great shooter at this moment. So my view is that one or multiple things have to happen for Boogie to prepare for the next level.

Why on earth he wouldn't want to let Duke get those "next things" out of him is beyond me. And it's not like he was still in his recruitment and window shopping. He was committed already.

Look, I'm fine with the decommitment. It's his prerogative to have second thoughts, and I'm glad the staff took it well (as they should). But it strikes me that playing next season alongside a pure PG with a clear chance to start at the 2/combo spot at a truly premier, primetime place like Duke is a perfect situation for someone in Ellis' shoes.

If the kid wins the starting battle, spells Tre in non-pressure minutes, gets a lot of TV time and attention, it's possible he's OAD and looking great.

If he loses the starting battle, then he's clearly not OAD caliber. So why not take the reins his sophomore year and have a shot at starting PG duties?

Whatever though. Good luck to him. Kinda.

- Chillin

Yes, but--at 6'2", he has probably concluded he really needs to show point guard skills to get to the NBA. So even starting minutes in the 2 spot might not be a one and done path. If he and his family are really hoping for a one and done situation (leaving aside whether that is a realistic hope), they might reasonably conclude that he needs to go somewhere where he can play point guard from day one.

lotusland
05-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Agree -- those are almost as annoying as Natty and Scholly (what are we, 5 year olds?)

As the original offender,I appreciate the spelling correction of pundit rather than pundent. It didn’t look right when I typed it but I was posting from my phone and in a hurry. I’m sure it won’t be my last error but I don’t mind the correction. Along the same lines as “would of” and “could of”, I see the word “loose” used incorrectly for “lose” often on other message boards. That always gets my attention but I don’t usually bother to correct a poster’s grammar or spelling.

I’ve used “scholly” and “natty” but I’ve never heard a five year old use them. It’s a fun abbreviation as far as I’m concerned and I havent felt the least bit immature for using it nor will I in the future. To each his own.

UrinalCake
05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
I’m as big a grammar nazi as anyone, but with respect to “dominate” I believe the term has become somewhat of a meme, where people intentionally misspell it as part of an ongoing joke.

freshmanjs
05-03-2019, 01:18 PM
I’ve used “scholly” and “natty” but I’ve never heard a five year old use them. It’s a fun abbreviation as far as I’m concerned and I havent felt the least bit immature for using it nor will I in the future. To each his own.

Of course you know that I wasn't saying 5 year olds use those words. The implication was that it's childish to take grown up words, shorten them, and add y to the end. I can't think of any situation where adults (with no little kids around) routinely use baby talk other than college basketball message boards.

pfrduke
05-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Of course you know that I wasn't saying 5 year olds use those words. The implication was that it's childish to take grown up words, shorten them, and add y to the end. I can't think of any situation where adults (with no little kids around) routinely use baby talk other than college basketball message boards.

The Atlantic just featured a piece (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/why-young-adults-are-talking-like-3-year-olds/586000/) discussing this very phenomenon.

UrinalCake
05-03-2019, 01:45 PM
I hope you're right, but not sure a lot of players shoot 17%, 27%, and then over 35% in consecutive years.

Closest example: Matt Jones (hopefully without the senior year dip)

Freshman: 14.3%
Sophomore: 37.6%
Junior: 41.5%
Senior: 34.2%

Nugget
05-03-2019, 01:47 PM

I don't know. If you compare his decommitment from Duke vs. what Eric Bossi from Rivals posted about his willingness to still consider Kansas (with Devon Dotson) and Memphis (potentially with RJ Hampton) it appears that Duke may have made a mistake in the "pitch" that was made to Boogie, which appears to have been (again, according to Bossi) more "we expect you to replace Tre Jones at PG," than "we would like you to come in an play alongside Tre Jones as a freshman and then slide into a primary PG role later."

UrinalCake
05-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Dotson is draft eligible and Hampton hasn’t committed to Memphis yet. But I agree that other schools are going to have PG’s for him to compete with as well. Not too many top programs have a starting PG spot wide open.

CDu
05-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Dotson is draft eligible and Hampton hasn’t committed to Memphis yet. But I agree that other schools are going to have PG’s for him to compete with as well. Not too many top programs have a starting PG spot wide open.

Right, let's not assume that Ellis would choose Memphis with Hampton there, or Kansas with Dotson there. As of now, those two teams are on his list. But as of now, Dotson and Hampton are not on those two teams. I would suspect that Ellis would choose against either Kansas or Memphis if their PG situation changes (Dotson returning or Hampton choosing Memphis).

Steven43
05-03-2019, 02:02 PM

There you go, Lotus. Stand up for yourself. I like the self-confidence. 👍🏻

ChillinDuke
05-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Yes, but--at 6'2", he has probably concluded he really needs to show point guard skills to get to the NBA. So even starting minutes in the 2 spot might not be a one and done path. If he and his family are really hoping for a one and done situation (leaving aside whether that is a realistic hope), they might reasonably conclude that he needs to go somewhere where he can play point guard from day one.

But that flies in the face of reason. Boogie is not a true PG. So expecting to suddenly be a true PG at the caliber of schools he's looking at and then OAD himself into the NBA is frankly unreasonable. At least it is to me.

When people want to "change" themselves, it seems to me it's customary to enter into a "give and take" relationship whereby you get something in exchange for something. At Duke, that would have been a proposal in which Boogie competes to prove he's a starter (and thus potentially OAD) while also getting spot PG minutes. At least in theory, that would be the win-win trade.

He's now going to go to Memphis or USC or wherever and be their starting PG? When he's not really a true PG? That seems silly - from the perspective of the programs, if not from other perspectives as well.

I know, I know. People will come back at me with alternative views, mostly defensible, that combo guards are given the reins at PG at college programs all the time. Or that coaches will sell that role and either ride it into a first round NCAAT exit or pull the rug out from under midseason. Or the kid should do what he wants to do, whether or not we agree with it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. But I don't have to agree with it. I think it's a silly thing for a Top-30 player to do. And since I believe the action is silly and fairly unreasonable, for that reason, I'm out.

Good luck to Mr. Ellis. I was very excited to watch him in our program, but I'm glad his true colors came out this early.

- Chillin

freshmanjs
05-03-2019, 02:09 PM
But that flies in the face of reason. Boogie is not a true PG. So expecting to suddenly be a true PG at the caliber of schools he's looking at and then OAD himself into the NBA is frankly unreasonable. At least it is to me.

When people want to "change" themselves, it seems to me it's customary to enter into a "give and take" relationship whereby you get something in exchange for something. At Duke, that would have been a proposal in which Boogie competes to prove he's a starter (and thus potentially OAD) while also getting spot PG minutes. At least in theory, that would be the win-win trade.

He's now going to go to Memphis or USC or wherever and be their starting PG? When he's not really a true PG? That seems silly - from the perspective of the programs, if not from other perspectives as well.

I know, I know. People will come back at me with alternative views, mostly defensible, that combo guards are given the reins at PG at college programs all the time. Or that coaches will sell that role and either ride it into a first round NCAAT exit or pull the rug out from under midseason. Or the kid should do what he wants to do, whether or not we agree with it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it. But I don't have to agree with it. I think it's a silly thing for a Top-30 player to do. And since I believe the action is silly and fairly unreasonable, for that reason, I'm out.

Good luck to Mr. Ellis. I was very excited to watch him in our program, but I'm glad his true colors came out this early.

- Chillin

What is a true point guard?

ChillinDuke
05-03-2019, 02:10 PM

In two words: Tre Jones.

- Chillin

ETA: sorry if that came out curt. But you have so many pitchforks that it's hard for me to believe you don't actually know what a true PG is or looks like.

Nugget
05-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Right, let's not assume that Ellis would choose Memphis with Hampton there, or Kansas with Dotson there. As of now, those two teams are on his list. But as of now, Dotson and Hampton are not on those two teams. I would suspect that Ellis would choose against either Kansas or Memphis if their PG situation changes (Dotson returning or Hampton choosing Memphis).

I'm not suggesting Ellis will choose either of those places. I was just reacting to the poster suggesting that Duke's recruiting pitch could have been "Coach K played Jason Williams and Duhon together" (or, for that matter, Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook) by noting that, at least according to Bossi's reporting, that wasn't Duke's pitch to Ellis -- although I agree it could and should have been, it's probably the kind of thing that couldn't be retconned now.

oldnavy
05-03-2019, 02:25 PM
In two words: Tre Jones.

- Chillin

ETA: sorry if that came out curt. But you have so many pitchforks that it's hard for me to believe you don't actually know what a true PG is or looks like.

Better yet... Bobby Hurley.

Pghdukie
05-03-2019, 02:25 PM
If Boogie had second thoughts about being here, it's in the best for everyone that he moved on. 2nd guessing is not the way to play any sport let alone CBB at Duke.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-03-2019, 02:36 PM

Frank Jackson ???

Reddevil
05-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Generally a guy with a very good handle that sets the offense, distributes, breaks the press and applies ball pressure to the other team. Scoring is not mandatory. Someone that can do all of those things and score is known as a professional.;)

UrinalCake
05-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Ellis likely sees himself as a Trae Young type who could vault himself into the OAD conversation if placed in a system where he has the ball in his hands and free rein to shoot and distribute. At the time he committed to Duke it looked like he would have that here. Now, not so much. Yes we can play two point guards and as a fan it’s great. I’d love to have two girlfriends too. But from the standpoint of the player it doesn’t make as much sense.

thedukelamere
05-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Frank Jackson ???

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PhonyBlandBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

I think you're joking, buuut just in case you're not; I love FJ, however a 1.21 A/T ratio isn't True PG material. Hopefully he can become one in the League!

Wahoo2000
05-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Ellis likely sees himself as a Trae Young type who could vault himself into the OAD conversation if placed in a system where he has the ball in his hands and free rein to shoot and distribute. At the time he committed to Duke it looked like he would have that here. Now, not so much. Yes we can play two point guards and as a fan it’s great. I’d love to have two girlfriends too. But from the standpoint of the player it doesn’t make as much sense.

Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner. Ellis is a 6-2ish, somewhat slight guy with a terrific shot. I think he will end up going somewhere that the coach gives him assurances of being THE guy at point. I'm sure he feels as underrated as Young must have. Either he's right, and he'll blow up like crazy and be a lottery pick next year, or he's wrong and will end up wondering if his career wouldn't have been better served to go somewhere and develop.

I'm just glad that it appears that part of what Bennett looks for in recruits is a good dose of humility and team-first thinking. It's probably what allows us to redshirt top 100 players with some regularity (Hunter, Diakite, Huff) without them looking to transfer right away. I'm CERTAIN they're not happy about it, but have enough of that selflessness/team-first attitude to embrace it. (doesn't hurt that we'll now be able to point to guys doing it and still being highly drafted, not to mention lower rated guys like Devon Hall who took a shirt and developed themselves into guys that GET drafted at all.

ChillinDuke
05-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Ding ding ding. I think we have a winner. Ellis is a 6-2ish, somewhat slight guy with a terrific shot. I think he will end up going somewhere that the coach gives him assurances of being THE guy at point. I'm sure he feels as underrated as Young must have. Either he's right, and he'll blow up like crazy and be a lottery pick next year, or he's wrong and will end up wondering if his career wouldn't have been better served to go somewhere and develop.

I'm just glad that it appears that part of what Bennett looks for in recruits is a good dose of humility and team-first thinking. It's probably what allows us to redshirt top 100 players with some regularity (Hunter, Diakite, Huff) without them looking to transfer right away. I'm CERTAIN they're not happy about it, but have enough of that selflessness/team-first attitude to embrace it. (doesn't hurt that we'll now be able to point to guys doing it and still being highly drafted, not to mention lower rated guys like Devon Hall who took a shirt and developed themselves into guys that GET drafted at all.

At what point does one give up the dream and accept reality? Surely, every young boy in a driveway thinks they are the next Michael Jordan.

Ellis is currently #49 RSCI (#34 on 247). Trae Young was #20. Granted, Ellis will likely end up higher in the final rankings, at least in the RSCI. Nonetheless, it seems presumptuous to envision himself the next Trae Young, given the likely long odds that preseason Trae himself faced to produce the season he did. We've seen the data year in and year out on the ranking thresholds that produce OADs, ACC-level players, etc.

But if kids want to chase dreams and bet on themselves, fair enough. Go for it. I'm just glad we aren't going to have the next "Trae Young" on Duke next season.

- Chillin

BeachBlueDevil
05-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Better now than getting sour in December and leaving..... I don't think the sky is falling (comes across that way in some earlier posts) with Boogie leaving. Have we lost what could be a good back up PG? Sure. But I think a junior named Jordan Goldwire is on the bench and with some work on his shooting can be more than serviceable as a backup PG, especially on the defensive end. All in all, Duke will be fine. I expect Tre to take a step forward shooting wise this upcoming season.

Owen Meany
05-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Wahoo,
I may have missed an earlier reference to this, but UVA is listed as one of the schools that has contacted Ellis.

dukelifer
05-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Wahoo,
I may have missed an earlier reference to this, but UVA is listed as one of the schools that has contacted Ellis.

They have openings

lotusland
05-03-2019, 04:22 PM

It’s fine and I have thick skin. I said it doesn’t make me feel immature but maybe it does. Might just be that immature is a good feeling these days. DBR is where I take short breaks from serious.

MChambers
05-03-2019, 04:25 PM

I'll use it in a sentence. What's that pundent odor? :-)

Nugget
05-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Better now than getting sour in December and leaving.... I don't think the sky is falling (comes across that way in some earlier posts) with Boogie leaving. Have we lost what could be a good back up PG? Sure. But I think a junior named Jordan Goldwire is on the bench and with some work on his shooting can be more than serviceable as a backup PG, especially on the defensive end. All in all, Duke will be fine. I expect Tre to take a step forward shooting wise this upcoming season.

Well said.

ice-9
05-03-2019, 04:50 PM
I have mixed feelings on the decommitment. If we lost Boogie because we got Tre back then that’s a trade I’m willing to make any day. Tre is proven, higher ranked in high school, a “true PG,” etc etc.

But if Boogie left because we also got Cassius, I’m not sure that’s a good trade for us. The game today favors better shooting vs better athleticism on the perimeter, especially when you have strong big men like we will have next year.

That said if Boogie is just afraid of having to compete in practice for minutes, it’s probably for the best he play elsewhere.

UrinalCake
05-03-2019, 05:13 PM
I That said if Boogie is just afraid of having to compete in practice for minutes, it’s probably for the best he play elsewhere.

I think there’s a difference between being “afraid to compete for minutes” versus not wanting to go to a school that has a likely preseason all American at your position, with a coach that notoriously does not play his bench. I’m not trying to pick on you, but there have been plenty of posts on this and other forums suggesting that Ellis is a coward and not cut out for Duke and that we don’t want him because of it. That’s ludicrous. The guy is just making the best decision for himself.

If I remember correctly, Jabari Parker basically said the only reason he didn’t go to MSU was that they had Draymond Green coming back. Brandon Ingram was leaning towards UNC until Justin Jackson returned. There are countless examples of recruits not choosing a school because they have a player there at their position. That doesn’t make them afraid of competition, it just means they are smart.

ChillinDuke
05-03-2019, 05:30 PM
I think there’s a difference between being “afraid to compete for minutes” versus not wanting to go to a school that has a likely preseason all American at your position, with a coach that notoriously does not play his bench. I’m not trying to pick on you, but there have been plenty of posts on this and other forums suggesting that Ellis is a coward and not cut out for Duke and that we don’t want him because of it. That’s ludicrous. The guy is just making the best decision for himself.

If I remember correctly, Jabari Parker basically said the only reason he didn’t go to MSU was that they had Draymond Green coming back. Brandon Ingram was leaning towards UNC until Justin Jackson returned. There are countless examples of recruits not choosing a school because they have a player there at their position. That doesn’t make them afraid of competition, it just means they are smart.

I don't think he's a coward. But I also don't think those comparisons are fair at all. First of all, Jabari and Brandon were sure fire, unquestionable OADs with obvious NBA skills and obvious NBA positions. Second of all, there's no way of knowing if those statements about Draymond and Justin Jackson are legitimately true or just posturing to appease fan bases or just flat out lies. Third of all, neither of those guys committed to a school only to continue gauging the situation with an eye towards leaving if things didn't break a certain way - especially since Tre Jones' stay-or-go decision was obviously fluid on November 9th, 2018 when he committed (I personally had a pie bet on the matter, so it was obviously debatable what Tre Jones would do).

That said, your overall point still stands, just not with any help from those particular examples.

- Chilin

clinresga
05-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Meagher was not in that class. Alarie, Bilas, Dawkins, Henderson, Bill Jackman and Weldon Williams made up the class of 86.

Meagher was class of 85.

I know. Sorry for confusion. He was on the same team for the two years I was there. I did not mean to imply that he was part of Bilas' class.

clinresga
05-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Totally unchapped:D
And in no way disparaging your comment or right to your opinion. Just wanted to provide the counterpoint.

Devilwin
05-03-2019, 06:59 PM
What happened to sleeping in caves and eating freshly-killed meat raw?

Baker probably was the best three-point shooter on the team (possibly second-best after AOC). He didn't play for other reasons.

Sounds like Saturday night to me.

BigZ
05-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Can K block him from signing w UNC ?

proelitedota
05-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Can K block him from signing w UNC ?

He already did.

frb
05-04-2019, 01:50 AM
after listening to the interview he did with the woman from rivals, I have no issue with him asking out of his LOI.

He wants to be a PG. That's not possible next season at Duke. He doesn't want to be a combo guard.

I think he feels he's too small to play the 2 in the NBA and there's a lot of truth to that. His future is as a PG and it sounds like he's trying to be a OAD... so there are better opportunities out there for him. I don't see him as a OAD talent but i'm not Darryl Morey.... We just need to be happy Tre Jones is back.

I see some people saying K signed Boogie just to keep him away from UNC. No. Tre Jones was likely to be OAD just like his brother and K needed a PG for 19/20... Hampton hadn't said he was reclassifying and landing Hampton wasn't a sure thing. We struck out on Josiah James and Nicco. If one of them commits then Boogie doesn't get an offer.

If you look at our class....
Vernon Carey- top 3 player, he was the #1 guy on the board
Wendell Moore- top 25 player, connection to Chris Carrawell, we wanted him
Cassius Stanley- he doesn't get an offer if we landed Josiah James or Bryan Antoine
Matthew Hurt- he was our #1 target all along at the stretch 4... you could argue I Stewart was but I feel the staff knew he wasn't coming to Duke and the relationship with Hopkins was too strong.

3/4 of our recruits were first choices. We did really well.

UrinalCake
05-04-2019, 07:56 AM
We struck out on Josiah James and Nicco. If one of them commits then Boogie doesn't get an offer.

Anthony Harris too - he was our primary target after James turned us down. Then when Harris committed to Virginia Tech we offered Ellis. That was a weird stretch for us, missing out on three guys in a short period (James, Harris, and Bryan Antoine).

johnb
05-04-2019, 08:13 AM
1. Boogie wants to be an NBA point guard? Spend a year with Tre in practice, facing down the best defensive pg in college basketball. He’d play moderately in 2020 (though a lot if he beats out Cassius, Aoc). If Boogie were to learn the position, he’d be primed to star(t) in 2021.
2. Brotherhood means you gotta share the toys/time. Which means the team is going to recruit for the best interest of the team. Which means we’re likely to sign a pg of the future in November, before Boogie has time to develop. That new person could be from the class of 20 or 21 or from France or from Mars, but it’s not like Boogie gets to simply inherit the make/break position bc he’s the right height. Just ask Marques, who may be a better player for having played with so many elite bigs, but many guys would get tired of never being in the position of being crucial to team success.

UrinalCake
05-04-2019, 08:39 AM
There’s no guarantee that Ellis would be handed the starting PG job the following season. It’s highly likely we’ll bring in a OAD stud like Jeremy Roach or Brandon Boston or someone else not even on our radar, and Ellis would have spent a year waiting only to be stuck in the same position as a backup. If he wants to be a starting PG he has to take that opportunity now.

We’ve made our bed with the OAD’s and have reaped the benefits of getting amazingly talented players, but the flip side is that the next level guys are less likely to want to come and take on a more limited role. This is a perfect example of that.

JasonEvans
05-04-2019, 09:26 AM

Not to dispute your overall point, which is correct, but Jabari and Draymond did not overlap in college. Dray graduated and was done at MSU in 2012 and Jabari did not arrive in college until 2013. Maybe you are thinking of MSU's Adreian Payne, who was a pre-season All-american as a senior the year Jabari came to Duke.

And the crazy thing about Justin Jackson is that while many, including Brandon Ingram, expected Jackson to be one and done he played at Carolina for 3 years. Inexplicable! Dude was MVP of the Mickie Dee game and he stays 3 years... sheesh!

rocketeli
05-04-2019, 09:50 AM
There’s no guarantee that Ellis would be handed the starting PG job the following season. It’s highly likely we’ll bring in a OAD stud like Jeremy Roach or Brandon Boston or someone else not even on our radar, and Ellis would have spent a year waiting only to be stuck in the same position as a backup. If he wants to be a starting PG he has to take that opportunity now.

We’ve made our bed with the OAD’s and have reaped the benefits of getting amazingly talented players, but the flip side is that the next level guys are less likely to want to come and take on a more limited role. This is a perfect example of that.

I was thinking the same thing about the PG role. If you weren't good enough to beat out a guy who wasn't good enough to be OAD, what are you chances of beating out the next great thing?
I can see why Mr. Boogie might do better somewhere else, especially if he wants to play a lot, right away, which isn't an unreasonable goal for a basketball player.
At the risk of devolving into the dreaded minutes discussion, I did a whole analysis and posted it at DBR a couple of years ago, which basically illustrated that all the NCAA title winners play about 8 players in their usual rotation, and the biggest outlier was not Coach K but John Calipari (who almost never uses a bench). Duke is slightly less than modal, but not much. FYI Roy Williams did not distribute more minutes than anyone else--after xmas he goes with the 8 as well.
Point is, in 19-20 Duke will have Tre Jones, with Jordan Goldwire in spot back up duty as PG, three "interior" players, two of which will most likely get all the minutes available in that role, in Carey, Bolden and DeLaurier, leaving a log jam of exterior players if you are Boogie Ellis to contend with gor playing time in Moore, Stanley, Hurt, White, O'Connell and Baker. Starting PG is not going to happen and he is smart to be realistic about his prospects and go elsewhere.

Neals384
05-04-2019, 10:24 AM

But I agree with you that as a commentator he comes off as rather arrogant and pompous. I would add condescending to the list, too. ;-) (I know that probably seems at least somewhat ironic coming from a guy who just posted a spelling correction on an internet message board. I'm even laughing at myself right now.)

I done tole you guys to watch yer grammer 'n spellin':cool:

ice-9
05-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Your argument is mostly just semantics, but since you want to go there, I'll go there with you.

There's a difference between being afraid of something and being a coward. I'm afraid of my plane crashing all the time, doesn't mean I'm a coward.

So this coward thing is your strawman -- I didn't characterize Boogie as a coward.

Back to Boogie.

He doesn't want to compete with Tre to be a starting PG; we can agree that's fact right? Maybe it's not because he's "afraid" to compete; maybe he thinks he's better and doesn't want Tre to feel bad when he does take his starting position. Hey, it's possible. But not very likely yes?

So most likely, he does NOT think he can beat Tre and prefers to not compete for that outcome. Now is that being afraid, or is that being smart? To me, that means he's afraid to compete. Or, if you want to be nicer about it, perhaps we can say he lacks the conviction to compete because he doesn't think he can win. (Semantics semantics.) I can agree that the smart action based on being afraid is to go to another school where there is no significant competition. That smartness starts from fear though.

OK now let's get to the next part of my statement, that perhaps Duke isn't the best place for him. 1) No one is entitled to anything at Duke, everyone must earn their minutes. So if you're afraid to compete for those minutes, that's not a cultural fit. 2) Duke is going to continue recruiting top talent, especially for positions of need. If Boogie isn't ready to be a national championship caliber PG, and next year's high school class has one, do we doubt that Coach K will go after that person? If Boogie can't handle that, he will transfer anyway.

So yes, I stand by my comment and respectfully disagree with yours.

Troublemaker
05-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Ellis' path to the NBA isn't to play the point guard; it's to shoot lights out. Great shooters are at such a premium in the NBA that I would guess he's already on the smart front offices' radars for his advanced pull-up ability and range at his age. Seth Curry is in an NBA playoff rotation, and he likewise was a 6'2" combo guard that didn't show great point guard skills or great athleticism in college (although the PG skills have improved in the NBA).

ncexnyc
05-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Nothing to see here, move along. If Coach K can add a youngster to the roster that he believes is in the best interest of the team, then I can't fault a kid for leaving if he feels it's in his best interest.

frb
05-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Anthony Harris too - he was our primary target after James turned us down. Then when Harris committed to Virginia Tech we offered Ellis. That was a weird stretch for us, missing out on three guys in a short period (James, Harris, and Bryan Antoine).

Harris never got an offer.. he visited and left without an offer. I think he would have if Boogie said no.

camion
05-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Nothing to see here, move along. If Coach K can add a youngster to the roster that he believes is in the best interest of the team, then I can't fault a kid for leaving if he feels it's in his best interest.

That sounds way too, uh, logical. I agree.

Strictly from a Boogie viewpoint I think it is more likely that he gets to the NBA quicker at his preferred position if he goes to a place where he likely starts at PG from day instead of a place where he will probably be coming of the bench and splitting time at a couple of positions.

I make no judgment as to which path would be more likely to help him reach that all important second contract.

dukelifer
05-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Ellis' path to the NBA isn't to play the point guard; it's to shoot lights out. Great shooters are at such a premium in the NBA that I would guess he's already on the smart front offices' radars for his advanced pull-up ability and range at his age. Seth Curry is in an NBA playoff rotation, and he likewise was a 6'2" combo guard that didn't show great point guard skills or great athleticism in college (although the PG skills have improved in the NBA).

Yes. I saw Boogie as a more athletic Seth- a shot maker. Those are great to have at any size. I understand why he did it and it could help to keep others happier - but it is a loss to the team because my gut tells me that this kid could be a very good college player from the get go.

frb
05-07-2019, 04:55 AM

6'2" off guards aren't too common in the NBA. You're only as good as what you can guard. Good luck guarding 6-6 6-7 wings who weigh 225-235 pounds when you're 6'2"/170

frb
05-07-2019, 04:57 AM
Harris never got an offer.. he visited and left without an offer. I think he would have if Boogie said no.

had boogie said no, harris gets the offer and I think he commits. If Tre left, we'd have gotten Hampton. We'd have Harris and Hampton in an alternative reality. Hampton still would've come to Duke even with Harris on board. He's a complementary piece. Will contribute more later on as a Jr/sr.

mr. synellinden
05-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Boogie committed to Memphis today per the Twitters.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoogieEllis/status/1128063530677063680

UrinalCake
05-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Ellis verbally commits to Memphis. Hardaway is cleaning up.

fraggler
05-13-2019, 09:40 PM
I wonder if this means Boogie thinks RJ Hampton is not headed to Memphis.

UrinalCake
05-13-2019, 10:14 PM
I wonder if this means Boogie thinks RJ Hampton is not headed to Memphis.

To be honest, a part of me thinks he just changed his mind and wanted to go to Memphis instead of Duke. Because Hampton has also said he wants the ball in his hands, it’s a big part of why he removed Duke from his list after Tre came back. Memphis has become the hot new destination, and Penny is selling kids on the fact that he made it to the pros himself so he knows what it takes.

I’m fine with Ellis making whatever decision he feels is best for him. But it’s hard not to wonder if there’s more going on than we are privy to.

mr. synellinden
05-13-2019, 11:55 PM
Yeah, it’s definitely not an issue of being closer to home. Maybe he realized with Roach next year he’s not the primary point guard until he’s a junior at least. But it would be strange if both Hampton and Ellis ended up at Memphis. One of the recruiting gurus - Evan Daniels I think - put in a 247 crystal ball pick for Hampton to Kansas today.

Dukehk
05-14-2019, 01:46 AM
Boy is he going to be in for a surprise when/if RJ Hampton commits.

Kid seems a bit mercenary-like for me. These west coast guys seem to be a completely different character to the ones we are used to.

Hope he realises he isn't getting drafted in the first round regardless of whether he plays 40 minutes or 5 minutes. Certainly not going to be developing much at memphis either.

sagegrouse
05-14-2019, 08:38 AM

Kid seems a bit mercenary-like for me. These west coast guys seem to be a completely different character to the ones we are used to.

Hope he realises he isn't getting drafted in the first round regardless of whether he plays 40 minutes or 5 minutes. Certainly not going to be developing much at memphis either.

Having lived for three years in Southern California, less than a mile from the Pacific, I would offer an observation. In my community, the world divided into two parts -- those who had spent their entire lives in the Southland and those who had lived elsewhere before moving there. The natives viewed living elsewhere with some degree of fear and trepidation -- cold weather, snow and sleet, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, more cold weather, high humidity, farms as far as the eye can see. They expressed amazement that people could actually live through that. Sure there is cold weather in the Sierras or at the family cabin at Big Bear, but those were outposts from which to return.

While nationally ranked HS players have certainly traveled, they may be still subject to the feelings of estrangement if they move elsewhere.

No matter, just an observation.

Kindly,
Sage
'I liked living there for the cool, dry summers along the coast -- but then there's that cold Pacific Ocean temperature even in the summer -- 61 degrees right now at Santa Monica pier (http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Santa-Monic-Pier/seatemp)'

roywhite
05-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Having lived for three years in Southern California, less than a mile from the Pacific, I would offer an observation. In my community, the world divided into two parts -- those who had spent their entire lives in the Southland and those who had lived elsewhere before moving there. The natives viewed living elsewhere with some degree of fear and trepidation -- cold weather, snow and sleet, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, more cold weather, high humidity, farms as far as the eye can see. They expressed amazement that people could actually live through that. Sure there is cold weather in the Sierras or at the family cabin at Big Bear, but those were outposts from which to return.

While nationally ranked HS players have certainly traveled, they may be still subject to the feelings of estrangement if they move elsewhere.

No matter, just an observation.

Kindly,
Sage
'I liked living there for the cool, dry summers along the coast -- but then there's that cold Pacific Ocean temperature even in the summer -- 61 degrees right now at Santa Monica pier (http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Santa-Monic-Pier/seatemp)'

That seems accurate based on my travels. However, many of the "rest of us" can express fear and trepidation about threats of wildfires, earthquakes, drought, mudslides, and non-natural but daunting traffic jams.

Troublemaker
05-14-2019, 10:24 AM

RJ Hampton is going to be locked up by Tre Jones (we hope) when Duke plays Kansas on the first day of the college basketball season.

Boogie made a good choice and there is no need to slam him. He gets to start at PG for Memphis, most likely.

I just wish Coach K and the staff were able to better communicate their vision to him. Play at Duke in a combo guard role, and you'll be in the NBA because you can shoot great -- see Quinn Cook and Seth Curry.

sagegrouse
05-14-2019, 10:39 AM
That seems accurate based on my travels. However, many of the "rest of us" can express fear and trepidation about threats of wildfires, earthquakes, drought, mudslides, and non-natural but daunting traffic jams.

Yeah, I "trembled with fear" living in Southern California due to the double threat of quakes and wild fires. Because of the the threat of earthquakes, most houses are wood frame construction. Mine, which at the time was 20 years old and had been painted several times, would have been in full blaze in just a minute or two with a spark from a wild fire. The first week I moved in, there was a fire up in the Santa Monica Mountains that looked liked the entire range was on fire. Although that (for once) did not reach residential areas, another one did. A few months after I moved back East, a fire burned five houses to the ground on the top end of our street. And, of course, fires produce mud slides in the next rainy season.

budwom
05-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I "trembled with fear" living in Southern California due to the double threat of quakes and wild fires. Because of the the threat of earthquakes, most houses are wood frame construction. Mine, which at the time was 20 years old and had been painted several times, would have been in full blaze in just a minute or two with a spark from a wild fire. The first week I moved in, there was a fire up in the Santa Monica Mountains that looked liked the entire range was on fire. Although that (for once) did not reach residential areas, another one did. A few months after I moved back East, a fire burned five houses to the ground on the top end of our street. And, of course, fires produce mud slides in the next rainy season.

yeah, my close friends live in Santa Barbara, and they have been rousted from their home on multiple occasions due to wildfires (very close) and smoke; and they maintain a hefty Getaway Pack of important papers and survival items....they've used it several times now. And The Big One still looms.

dukejim1
05-14-2019, 01:09 PM
And Memphis AD resigns. Maybe he couldn’t keep his Men’s bb coach in check.

UrinalCake
05-30-2019, 10:57 AM
I just saw that Memphis’s Rayjon Tucker has decided to remain in the draft. And it occurred to me that Memphis could have potentially had a roster with Rayjon Tucker, Boogie Ellis (whose real first name is Rejean), and RJ Hampton. Would that have been the record for most RJ’s on a single team?

DevilHorse
05-30-2019, 12:14 PM
I just saw that Memphis’s Rayjon Tucker has decided to remain in the draft. And it occurred to me that Memphis could have potentially had a roster with Rayjon Tucker, Boogie Ellis (whose real first name is Rejean), and RJ Hampton. Would that have been the record for most RJ’s on a single team?

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when the University of Pittburgh Football team cornered the market on players named ~Quadree (Qadree Ollison and Quadree Henderson [most recently with NFL Giants/Jets]).
Half a Quad of Qads.

Larry
DevilHorse

Phredd3
05-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Reminds me of a couple of years ago when the University of Pittburgh Football team cornered the market on players named ~Quadree (Qadree Ollison and Quadree Henderson [most recently with NFL Giants/Jets]).
Half a Quad of Qads.

Jade Williams, Jayda Adams, Jaida Patrick, Jada Claude

brevity
03-28-2021, 05:05 PM
Some familiar names from the past to update a thread from the past.

Earlier today Boogie Ellis scored 23 points as Penny Hardaway's Memphis Tigers won the NIT Championship (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31154633/coach-penny-hardaway-says-memphis-tigers-nit-title-just-start) over Ben Howland and Mississippi State. Boogie's teammate Landers Nolley II, who transferred from Virginia Tech, scored 10 points (after scoring 27 in the semifinals) and was named Most Outstanding Player.

kidA
03-28-2021, 06:13 PM

We had a lot of “J“ guys on this year’s team: dJ, Jaylen Johnson (extra points for the double-J, points lost for bailing), Jaemyn, Jordan, Joey, Jeremy. That’s a lot of Jz!
Unfortunately you can spell Covid without even one J...

jimsumner
03-28-2021, 06:28 PM
We had a lot of “J“ guys on this year’s team: dJ, Jaylen Johnson (extra points for the double-J, points lost for bailing), Jaemyn, Jordan, Joey, Jeremy. That’s a lot of Jz!
Unfortunately you can spell Covid without even one J...

The Duke women's basketball team began the season with Jade Williams, Jaida Patrick, Jayda Adams and Jada Claude. Spelling the same name three different ways has to account for something.

Maybe that's why the last three entered the transfer portal. :)

wavedukefan70s
03-29-2021, 08:22 AM
The Duke women's basketball team began the season with Jade Williams, Jaida Patrick, Jayda Adams and Jada Claude. Spelling the same name three different ways has to account for something.

Maybe that's why the last three entered the transfer portal. :)

I coached a little league baseball team.
2 Jayden jalen(plays for u of south carolina now) 2 players names jeff and geoff.
Two coaches named jeff also.that is how my son started to be called G or Geo.

jimsumner
03-29-2021, 02:14 PM
I coached a little league baseball team.
2 Jayden jalen(plays for u of south carolina now) 2 players names jeff and geoff.
Two coaches named jeff also.that is how my son started to be called G or Geo.

I used to think Shawn, Sean, Shon, Chone had the most correct spellings. Any other candidates?

jv001
03-29-2021, 05:22 PM
I used to think Shawn, Sean, Shon, Chone had the most correct spellings. Any other candidates?

Thornton...Thorton, Redick...Reddick? :cool:

GoDuke!

Phredd3
03-29-2021, 05:24 PM

Shawon.

brevity
03-29-2021, 06:57 PM
This is not why I revived this thread, but whatever.

You left off Shaun, as in Cassidy. But I think I have them beat.

Kaylee (#114 on this list (https://www.whattoexpect.com/baby-names/list/top-baby-names-for-girls/) of the top 1,000 baby girl names for 2021)
Kayleigh (#488)
Kailey (#798)
Kaylie (#836)

Plus these homophonic variations, in alphabetical order:

Caylee
Cayleigh
Kaelie
Kailee
Kaileigh
Kaili
Kailie
Kaily
Kaley
Kaylei
Kayley
Kayli

That's 16. I'm not even including Kali (#241), which in all worldly decency should be pronounced differently, or Kallie (#785), or Kaleigh, which may require a middle name of Durham.

Alternate answer: Kaitlyn/Katelyn/Caitlin etc. They are not as popular as they used to be, but there may be, like, 20 variations.