PDA

View Full Version : Gerald gets real. Retires.

SupaDave
04-30-2019, 05:19 PM
Check out the article here.

https://www.closeup360.com/culture/gerald-henderson-jr-retires-from-nba-shares-plans-for-life-after-basketball/

chrishoke
04-30-2019, 05:31 PM
Love Gerald. Great article. Best wishes to him in his future endeavors.

53n206
04-30-2019, 08:45 PM
So fine. One has to love Gerald. Family values abound. We know how he meant to us at Duke. As humans we have to appreciate him to us all as a person.

Fish80
04-30-2019, 10:06 PM
So fine. One has to love Gerald. Family values abound. We know how he meant to us at Duke. As humans we have to appreciate him to us all as a person.

WTF? Humans? Are some of us not?

JNort
04-30-2019, 10:07 PM
WTF? Humans? Are some of us not?

Lizard people?

Fish80
04-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Lizard people?

IDK. Dickie V? The V foundation? Lizards aliens are everywhere.

OldPhiKap
04-30-2019, 10:20 PM
We are stardust,
we are golden
We are billion year old carbon
And we got to get ourselves
back to the garden.

(Simple credit for those who name the singers; serious credit for those who know the writer without cheating)

devildeac
04-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Lizard people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzNjHk453L0

miramar
04-30-2019, 10:31 PM
It's a shame that his career ended too soon, but it's nice to see that he is ready for the next phase of his life.

Of course, if he wants to relive a previous phase, all he has to do is Google Gerald Henderson elbow.

It never gets old.

hallcity
04-30-2019, 11:00 PM
We are stardust,
we are golden
back to the garden.

(Simple credit for those who name the singers; serious credit for those who know the writer without cheating)

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. From Woodstock, 50 years ago this summer. You’re right. I had to look up who wrote it, Joni Mitchell.

84Duke
05-01-2019, 02:56 AM
We are stardust,
we are golden
back to the garden.

You know that’s not going to stump the olds.

fuse
05-01-2019, 06:46 AM
We are stardust,
we are golden
back to the garden.

Can’t spork you, and I see your questions have been answered.

To the young whippersnapper mocking “the olds”...some of us are young at heart and have impeccable taste in music 😎

Indoor66
05-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Can’t spork you, and I see your questions have been answered.

To the young whippersnapper mocking “the olds”...some of us are young at heart and have impeccable taste in music 😎

Careful with the pecker references when talking about the olds. We might go all Willie Nelson on you. :)

OldPhiKap
05-01-2019, 08:54 AM
Bonus trivia: Joni wrote it after the Woodstock festival based upon what her boyfriend described to her. She was not actually at the festival herself.

And the boyfriend? Graham Nash.

Congratulations Gerald, and best of luck in your future endeavors!

camion
05-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Bonus trivia: Joni wrote it after the Woodstock festival based upon what her boyfriend described to her. She was not actually at the festival herself.

And the boyfriend? Graham Nash.

Congratulations Gerald, and best of luck in your future endeavors!

Something about gardening.

Like Joni I wasn't there, but it had an impact.

Billy Dat
05-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Major respect for Gerald, a guy who was solid through and through and always represents Duke extremely well. I feel bad that he didn't get to end his career healthy and on his own terms but having earned $37MM, he'll probably be ok. By comparison, I think his Dad made less than $5MM over a 12 year career. That's one thing about trying to hang on as long as you can. After Vince Carter's last big salary year ($18MM in '12-13, his 14th year in the NBA) he made $3MM per for the next 3 years, then $4MM the next 3 years, then $8MM in '17-'18, which was close to what he was making at the start of his prime. He's dropped back down, but that's a lot of extra money for staying in shape, being a great locker room guy and keeping your effective field goal % around 50%.

bundabergdevil
05-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Best of luck, Gerald! Good time to listen to Gerald and Tyler Hansblahblah's first Tobacco Road podcast episde, which is called The Incident (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76wXJrXm2s). It is the thing they both get asked about on a regular basis more than anything else.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-01-2019, 09:56 AM
One of the highlights of this year for me in Cameron (amid all the flashy ones of Zion) was the scenario I watched most of the game across the floor from our seats one night. Couldn't take my eyes off of Gerald bouncing Scheyer's little baby girl on his knee for the majority of the game. They enjoyed each other to the max. You'd have hardly known a basketball game was going on all around them. He's a natural. Those kids of his are going to love having their dad around more often.
Love, Ima

UrinalCake
05-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Great article. I was kind of surprised to read his career lasted only 8 seasons; I could have done the math and figured that out but it sort of felt like he had been in the league longer than that. I guess he's a good example of why college players should go ahead and leave for the NBA as soon as they can, if he had stayed for his senior season then he would have had one less season to earn money which would have been 11% of his NBA career.

Anyways, I'll always remember his dunk against Maryland after Nolan got concussed. He brought a level of athleticism and swagger that wasn't common on Duke teams at the time. A great representative of the Duke brotherhood.

Lurkingdukedog
05-01-2019, 12:32 PM
We are stardust,
we are golden
back to the garden.

Joni Mitchell of course -- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young sang a more well known cover

Billy Dat
05-01-2019, 12:45 PM
Anyways, I'll always remember his dunk against Maryland after Nolan got concussed. He brought a level of athleticism and swagger that wasn't common on Duke teams at the time. A great representative of the Duke brotherhood.

Good call, I meant to add some recalls of his most notable plays. In this thread so far we have:
-Breaking Psycho T's face
-Avenging Nolan dunk against the cromagnons of College Park

The first one I think about is his coast-to-cast game winner against Belmont that saved us from getting bounced in the first round of the NCAAs two years in a row in 2008.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/2611009/

It was bittersweet that he wasn't around for the 2010 title as he felt very much a part of that cohort of Duke players.

UrinalCake
05-01-2019, 01:32 PM
It was bittersweet that he wasn't around for the 2010 title as he felt very much a part of that cohort of Duke players.

Totally agree. His class with Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas bridged the gap between the JJ/Shelden years and the OAD era. We had some lean years in there, but this class epitomizes what everyone idealizes as a group of four year players (minus Henderson) who weren’t the most talented or highly ranked but improved every year and eventually won a title.

Edouble
05-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Best of luck, Gerald! Good time to listen to Gerald and Tyler Hansblahblah's first Tobacco Road podcast episde, which is called The Incident (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76wXJrXm2s). It is the thing they both get asked about on a regular basis more than anything else.

Is Tyler most frequently asked about it in Swahili?

Edouble
05-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Great article. I was kind of surprised to read his career lasted only 8 seasons; I could have done the math and figured that out but it sort of felt like he had been in the league longer than that. I guess he's a good example of why college players should go ahead and leave for the NBA as soon as they can, if he had stayed for his senior season then he would have had one less season to earn money which would have been 11% of his NBA career.

Gerald is a great example of why you want to leave college as soon as you can, but I can't help but feel bad for the guy. There seems to be a tinge of regret that he is leaving the pros before the 13 year mark that his dad played. I also can't help but think about the chance at a National Championship that he left behind when he left Duke in 2009. It's like he missed out on something with both his college and pro career ending prematurely.

That said, I don't think we win it in 2010 if he's on the team.

Billy Dat
05-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Yeah, you have to think about Nolan's emergence and how vital it was to that team. 2010 was perfect chemistry.

NSDukeFan
05-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Gerald is a great example of why you want to leave college as soon as you can, but I can't help but feel bad for the guy. There seems to be a tinge of regret that he is leaving the pros before the 13 year mark that his dad played. I also can't help but think about the chance at a National Championship that he left behind when he left Duke in 2009. It's like he missed out on something with both his college and pro career ending prematurely.

A whole lot would have changed if Gerald had been around in 2010, but I think if he would have been around Duke would have been better and had a better chance at winning. They would probably have had a less than 20% chance, but greater than what the actual team would have had going into the tournament, even though they were awesome.

lotusland
05-02-2019, 06:47 AM
A whole lot would have changed if Gerald had been around in 2010, but I think if he would have been around Duke would have been better and had a better chance at winning. They would probably have had a less than 20% chance, but greater than what the actual team would have had going into the tournament, even though they were awesome.

Singler starts at 4 with G on that team. Zoubek, Lance, MP1 and MP2 fight for PT at the 5 and backup minutes at 4. Also Dawkins probably doesn’t re-class. It’s a very different team with G. Certainly more talented but better? I don’t know.